PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Portable: The Official Thread

UKWildcat
03-04-2006, 12:59 AM
First off... I searched through the threads for the PlayStation Portable and didn't get many results. There were talks and comments made about owning one of these upon release and the price concerns, but no real follow-ups. The point of this thread is going to be for discussing the current and upcoming games/UMD Movies/Downloads/Upgrades/Etc. and anything else related to the PSP. I'm sure this thread is a little overdue since the system has been out almost a year now and hopefully there are some PSP users in this forum.

Second off... I have never been a Sony Gaming fan, and the PSP is the first "Sony gaming system" that I've owned. Call me crazy, and I have nothing against Sony, but I am more of a PC gamer. I have played PS1/2 games many a time, but never owned a system or grew fond of one either. Anyways, I just purchased my PSP a few days ago from a friend who barely used his and was desperate for money (so I got an extremely good deal on this one). So far I am extremely impressed with the performance and features of the PSP. It is incredible. The first thing I did was update the Firmware to ver. 2.6 which fixed several bugs (evidentally) and enchanced the Web Browser feature. Since I have highspeed/cable and a router at my house, I can take my PSP downstairs, or anywhere else in the house, and surf the Internet with it's built in 802.11b Internet. It is weird looking at SSG on a 3.6" screen, but it works great. I can also check my email and do whatever else. The last handheld gaming system I had was the orginal Gameboy, so you can imagine my enthusiasm.

But anyways, my PSP came with a single game, "The Con", which is your standard hand to hand type combat fighting game; nothing special. I am really impressed with the quality of graphics and I can't wait to get a better game that I would enjoy playing much more. But still, the graphics and the LCD screen display are extremely impressive. I have loaded a few pictures and mp3s onto my PSP, however, I need to get a larger Memory Stick Duo to accomodate more files. This will be one of my first upgrades, and it will come soon. I haven't played a UMD movie or an mpeg file from the memory stick so I don't know how the picture quality is, but I can only assume it is excellent and dvd quality.

Like I stated earlier, hopefully there are more PSP owners here at SSG and if you would... please stand up. I am new to the whole PSP thing so I am welcoming any and all suggestions. I would like to know what games you all are playing,? upgrades you have purchased,? downloads,? mods? and etc? I would definitely like to get a new game pretty soon, after I upgrade my Memory Stick Duo.

JetsAndHeels
03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
UKWildcat, welcome to the PSP revolution!!

I have had mine for a few months now, and I really enjoy it. Currently the games I have are: Lumines (a tetris like puzzle game), madden 06, and just bought MLB 06 yesterday. I had the GTA game but after playing it a few weeks I traded it in for something else.
Just last night I upgraded my firmware to the 2.6 version and things have been running smooth. I have watched a couple of the umd movies on mine, but I mainly just use mine for gaming. About 2 months ago I purchased a usb cable for it, and I have been saving pics and files on mine. I enjoy just getting different wallpapers and backgrounds for mine off the internet. You can personalize it anyway you like, and for me that is alot of fun.
I was able to get the Superman Returns trailer transferred onto my system so I watch that on there as well.
Anyway, glad to see you are enjoying yours so far. Please do list whatever new games you get!!

UKWildcat
03-04-2006, 07:21 PM
UKWildcat, welcome to the PSP revolution!!

Thank you, Thank you... Thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Anyway, glad to see you are enjoying yours so far. Please do list whatever new games you get!!

I will definitely do that. I'm going to order a 1 gig Memory Stick Duo card and possibly a new game from Amazon within the next couple of days. I like First Person Shooters, Third person action (like GTA), and some strategy/adventure (similar to that of Zelda) types of games. Since I am pretty new to the PSP thing, I don't really know what is out there and any suggestions would be great. It appears that Amazon's games are priced just as good as any retailer, but if there is a cheaper place to get games that you know of, please inform me.

The PSP that I got from my friend was missing the analog thumbstick/joystick so I'm desperately searching for a replacement one of those so I can do some real gaming. I know they are available but the EB Games and WM are out of them here. Amazon has them but they have several different types and styles so I don't know what is the best. Have you bothered replacing yours or seen these at other stores? If so what did you go with and is it comfortable? Also, do you know if the PSP will accept or is compatible with a 2 gig memory stick duo? I know some devices, like cameras and mp3 players, are restricted in how much information it will recognize on memory cards, so I'm wondering if the PSP is the same way.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
03-05-2006, 02:39 AM
hey man i glad you like your psp
i just got back from franlkin street in chapel hill my heels beat the evil dookies
my voice is gone and all that
psp is grett
i need sleep

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey UK,
About the analog buttons you are looking for, I would try Best Buy or Circuit City. I remember seeing some there before (I believe they came in a 3-pack). Either one of those stores should have what you are looking for. Luckily I have not had to replace mine yet. I imagine it will have to be done sometime soon though.

About games to play, since you mentioned you like third person shooters I would definately recommend GTA: Liberty City Stories. It is just as great as any other GTA title on the consoles and this particular game features a brand new storyline and plot so its something you can only get on your PSP. I played it and I liked it just as much as San Andreas and Vice City.
The game "Infected" is also something you might want to look at...its kind of a zombie/action game that I have played some of and really enjoyed. If you like the adventure stuff I recommend "Untold Legends."
If you are into sports, Madden 06 is always great, plus I just purchased "MLB 06: The Show" and it is awesome. A great baseball game that is very well done.

Amazon would be good since their prices are competitive, but I often find going with the big 2 retailers of electronics, Best Buy and Circuit City are just as good as well. Of course EB and Gamestop let you do trades so if you had some old stuff you dont play anymore that would help out with the price if you are so inclined.

And to address your question about the 2gig stick, yes it is compatible. We got some in where I work last week and a couple of people have already bought them and I have had nobody return them. I imagine later there will have to be even more memory on these cards because so much can be done on the PSP.

Dar' Argol
03-07-2006, 06:10 PM
PSP . . not to be confused with the Pennsylvania State police . . . seriously . . .

Anywho Welcome!

I've got Lumines (which I think is waaaaaaaay better then tetris, better music too . . . couldn't get that darn tetris song out of my head for weeks), Hot Shots Tee Off, and Untold Legend: Brotherhood of the Blade. I'm looking at getting either Burnout Legends or GTA next.

I've had mine since launch, it came with Spiderman 2 which I have watched a few times. movies on this thing look AWESOME! Everything is in widescreen. I want to get Clerks as my next movie . . . . cause you just need Clerks. unfortunatly I do not have a wireless set up at home, but that has not stopped me from using it . . . I love the Scan feature . . he he he:twisted:. Also just upgraded the firmware on this too. nice additions . . . the wallpaper fuction and web browser was much needeed!

And I'm also impressed with the battery life. that was one of the major issues being talked about before launch, but I think the battery life is awesome. 2hr charge for 4+ hous of play, no problems here!

Anywho, enjoy what I think is the best portable out there yet . . now if they could just lower the price on games a bit:love:

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I've got Lumines (which I think is waaaaaaaay better then tetris, better music too . . . couldn't get that darn tetris song out of my head for weeks)

Lumines is a great game. It's pretty much on target with the other puzzle games...simple yet addicting. I remember when I first got it, I played for about 3 or 4 hours and the time just flew by.

I would recommend GTA to you Dar Argol. It is one great game with plenty of play value in it!!

UKWildcat
03-08-2006, 10:47 PM
And I'm also impressed with the battery life. that was one of the major issues being talked about before launch, but I think the battery life is awesome. 2hr charge for 4+ hous of play, no problems here!

Yea, the battery life is surprisingly good for something that is so small and powerful. Depending on how often I find myself using my PSP I may get the extended life battery, but for now the one that it comes with is great.

Anywho, enjoy what I think is the best portable out there yet . . now if they could just lower the price on games a bit

I agree... and hopefully it won't be too long before the prices start dropping. I know as more and more titles get released the prices on the older titles will drop and continue to drop (for the most part).

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations guys. I actually scrolled through most all of the PSP games on their website and took note of the ones I would be interested in. GTA and Infected were on the list. ;)

Now I say "were" on the list because the list is now gone. My hard drive crashed on my computer this past Sunday and as of now I have lost everything. The new one came today and it is up and running good, I just need to see if I can get a bunch of crap off the old one. Hopefully it is not completely dead. The thing is, the 250 gb drive is only 1 yr & 2 mo.s old. Anyways I got a 300 gb hard drive and everything is working great. The thing that stinks is that the money I was going to use for a PSP game or two went towards the new drive. Therefore, I won't be getting a new game anytime soon. :( However, before my drive crashed I did purchase a 1 gig SanDisk Memory Stick Duo card and the Logitech Pocket PlayGear case since I have heard it is the best out there. I'll let you all know how the case is when it comes.

UKWildcat
03-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I just got the Logitech Playgear Pocket case and Memory Stick Duo today and both are excellent! Here is a rundown:

The reviews and descriptions of the Playgear case are definitely accuarte; it's "polycarbonate armor" is virtually indestructable. Very strong and protective. How anyone could damage their PSP inside this thing would be mind blowing (unless they purposely throw it to the ground or drop it off a building). One of the things I like about the case is that the PSP is fully functional while inside. It is easy to manuver through the menus and you have access to all of the buttons so playing a game while the case is on is no problem. When opened, the case doubles as a stand, to view movies, or functions as a sun-blocker. When closed you still have access to several of the keys, including the powe switch and LAN switch. A really nice thing is that you can still charge your PSP while it is closed in the case. If any of you are looking for a case this is an excellent one and comes highly recommended!

There is not much that I can say about the 1 gb Duo card that you all don't already know. The extra space is amazing since it greatly increases the amount of videos, photos and music that you can store and playback on the PSP. Much better than the 32mb card that it comes with. The differnece there is night and day. :pleased:

I still need to find the replacement analog thumbstick. Everytime I goto Walmart or Eb games they don't have them. I may just order a set off of Amazon. After that I will be getting a game. I should have a new game or two within the next month. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I get and if I like it.

JetsAndHeels
03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Ok UKWildcat, here is a game recommendation for you:

The newly released Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror. I had pre-ordered it at work and just got it yesterday. If you like the action/strategy type games then this is for you. Plus if you like the Syphon Filter series as much as I do then thats an added bonus. I am only on the 2nd level and I'm hooked already.
Gamespot gave it a good review and so far I can see why. They even added it may be an early contender for psp game of the year.
Check it out.

Dar' Argol
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I just saw the new PSP squirrel commercial tonight . . . he he he . . . I love them squirrels!!!

I'd hit that!

sorry, just needed to share:sad:

UKWildcat
03-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok UKWildcat, here is a game recommendation for you:

The newly released Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror. I had pre-ordered it at work and just got it yesterday. If you like the action/strategy type games then this is for you.Plus if you like the Syphon Filter series as much as I do then thats an added bonus. I am only on the 2nd level and I'm hooked already.

I just checked it out on gamespot and the sony psp site. The game looks awesome and it definitely fits one of my genres of video games that I like to play. I've never played any of the previous Syphon Filter games so I'm not familiar with them. It looks look a cross between Rainbow Six and Splinter cell. I do have a couple of questions for you. How is the gameplay? Easy to move around, aim, etc? Do you have an arsenal of weapons, or only a few? Do you pick up items, keys, stuff like that to further yourself in the game? The game does look pretty sweet so I may buy it blindly, hopefully soon cause I really need a new game, and all of the reviews I have read have praised it and gave it really high marks.

Here is a quick, and probably stupid question. I haven't been to Blockbuster or any B&M video store for the longest time (Thanks to Netflix) so I'm wondering if you can rent PSP games there? I know you can rent game cube, ps2, etc, but I haven't been to one of those stores since the PSP has been out.

I just saw the new PSP squirrel commercial tonight . . . he he he . . . I love them squirrels!!!

I'd hit that!

sorry, just needed to share:sad:

I haven't seen the commercial yet. :( I'm keeping my eyes peeled though. What channel did you see it on? If you can recall.

no problem :)

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2006, 10:27 PM
How is the gameplay? Easy to move around, aim, etc? Do you have an arsenal of weapons, or only a few? Do you pick up items, keys, stuff like that to further yourself in the game? The game does look pretty sweet so I may buy it blindly, hopefully soon cause I really need a new game, and all of the reviews I have read have praised it and gave it really high marks.

The gameplay is very easy to maneuver. The analog stick moves your character, while the X, O, triangle and square buttons determine the way you are pointed. For example, triangle would have you look or aim up, while x would do the same but in a downward direction. The square points you left while the O points you to the right. Before you play the actual game there is a training exercise that can help you get the feel for the controls.
You do pick up items and miscellaneous things along the way. They are things that help you get past a stage such as security keycards and mission files. The arsenal of weapons is plentiful, from basic handguns to rifles and sub machine guns. You will also get to use cool sniper rifles and other gadgets. You are also outfitted with night-vision, heat vision (ala the predator type view) and stealth view.
There are a few instances in the game where you will also play as Lian Xing, a fellow operative who works with you. Also you will have to protect her by eliminating enemy fire while she infiltrates a power facility.
Things like this make the game fun and non-repetitive, so it always keeps things fresh.
And I am willing to go one extra step for you in trying out this game, UK. I have a demo of it here at my house that I will send you so you can play it for yourself. It has 2 complete levels that start off the game, so you can try it out and see what you think. If you will just pm me your address I will mail it out early next week.

I haven't been to Blockbuster or any B&M video store for the longest time (Thanks to Netflix) so I'm wondering if you can rent PSP games there? I know you can rent game cube, ps2, etc, but I haven't been to one of those stores since the PSP has been out.

Yes you can rent psp titles at Blockbuster. I was just in my local store earlier this evening and they have all the current titles. You get to keep them for a week.

Dar' Argol
03-19-2006, 12:07 AM
not sure what station, they were talking about the new Jak game for PSP . . . he he he

Anywho, anyone know anything solid about Infected??? I'm just too lazey to track down and kidnap the electronics associate at my WM to actually look at the back of it.

JetsAndHeels
03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
not sure what station, they were talking about the new Jak game for PSP . . . he he he

You mean Daxter? I have the demo and its alot of fun. Nothing too special about it, but a great game to play if you want some good solid fun in a game.

[color=blue]Anywho, anyone know anything solid about Infected??? I'm just too lazey to track down and kidnap the electronics associate at my WM to actually look at the back of it.

Here is a little rundown for you about Infected, courtesy of GameSpot:

The Good: Fast-paced zombie-killing action; innovative and ambitious online component; solid frame rate.
The Bad: Humor is hit-and-miss; single-player game is far too short; multiplayer game is just no fun.

Forget ninjas, aliens, robots, Nazis, or any combination thereof--zombies are pretty much the ideal cannon fodder. There is no sympathizing with zombies. The very existence of the shambling undead flies in the face of fundamental natural law. The fact that they might have once been a loved one makes it all the more compelling to end their unnatural existence. That there is an inherent satisfaction to dispatching hordes and hordes of the living dead is the driving force behind Planet Moon's Infected for the PSP, but after a time the game's conceptual appeal and ambition are outstripped by a single-player game that's over much too quickly and a gameplay model that simply does not translate well to multiplayer. It still makes for some good fun for a while, though.

Infected takes place in New York City, two weeks before Christmas. As the game opens, you watch as the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is interrupted by a small band of zombies, who are quick to pluck everything from limbs to internal organs from the living, be they stately city officials or young boys in wheelchairs. You'll notice right away that the overall tone in Infected is darkly irreverent. There are some genuinely clever moments in the game--such as a one-sided conversation between your commissioner and the prime minister of Japan--and the regular lampooning of Christmas-driven consumerism and the nature of NYC tourism are a bit more insightful than you would expect from a zombie murder simulation. Often, though, the comic timing is off, or simply misguided, for instance turning a sequence where a developmentally challenged child is mistaken for a zombie from grimly humorous to just awkward.

Your main objective is quite clear-cut: kill zombies. The zombies in Infected are a cross between the classically slow-moving Romero zombies, the aggressively vicious zombies from 28 Days Later, and the more evolved, gun-toting zombies from Land of the Dead. While they'll start off just throwing handfuls of pus, vomit, and other nasty zombie excretions, they quickly learn how to use chainsaws and rocket launchers--at a point, save for their grisly appearances, the zombies hardly seem like zombies at all. To kill a zombie, you first need to wear it down with conventional weapons before you can plug it with your viral gun. The game uses lock-on targeting, activated with the right shoulder button, making it easy to run circles around your undead foe. You won't have to worry about running out of ammo for your regular weapons, as the game automatically upgrades your weapons based on your proficiency in killing zombies, and an expert exterminator can go from the stock pistol to the rocket launcher pretty quickly.

Infected makes a pretty good first impression, and the quick mission structure makes it really well suited for the handheld format. But once that first impression wears off, it becomes apparent that there's not a terrible amount of depth to the game. The whole multiplayer infection system seems downright tragic--it's a really interesting idea that has been executed quite well, but it's bound to a game that doesn't play well with others.

UKWildcat
03-19-2006, 01:51 PM
And I am willing to go one extra step for you in trying out this game, UK. I have a demo of it here at my house that I will send you so you can play it for yourself.

Awesome! It does sound like a game that I would really enjoy playing. I went to WM today and was going to check it out, but they didn't have it. That would be sweet if you could send me the demo. It is probably going to be a game that I will purchase, but trying it out beforehand would be great. I'll send you a PM w/ my addy and such.

Yes you can rent psp titles at Blockbuster. I was just in my local store earlier this evening and they have all the current titles. You get to keep them for a week.

Okay, thats what I thought, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

The screenshots for Infected look... interesting, but like the article says, its more of the gameplay that I'm worried about. Sounds like it gets old pretty quickly (reminds me a lot of a pc game called PainKiller) and I'm not a fan of the "really short" single player mission. Some of the monsters/zombies look cheesy, then others look pretty cool. Two things I don't like, that I can tell from the screenshots, is that you get points for killing and it looks like the missions may have a time limit. But I LOVE zombies, both in movies and games, so I'll probably end up renting this one, since I know I can now. ;)

JetsAndHeels
03-20-2006, 09:59 AM
No problem, UK. I will have that demo out to you this week.

Another game I have been reading up on is the new Capcom Classics: Remixed. It looks really good. Has 20 titles on it like Strider, 1941, Final Fight, etc. Gamespot has high praise for it (they were able to play early versions of it) and say it looks like the best classics collection for psp yet.

UKWildcat
03-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Sweet!!! Thanks again JF96. I can't wait to play the demo.

I'm going to order some replacement analog thumbsticks, so I can actually play some games. Everytime I go by WM or Eb games they don't have them.:upset: I did find some on Amazon so I'm just going to order from there. I can't wait any longer. I may order a game too. :) I will let ya know.

ps. - Sorry to watch your UNC team lose yesterday. Who 'da thunk that George Mason would have beaten them? I know I didn't!

JetsAndHeels
03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
ps. - Sorry to watch your UNC team lose yesterday. Who 'da thunk that George Mason would have beaten them? I know I didn't!

It has been that kind of a tournament...I do not think there have been so many lower seeds beating higher seeds like there are this year. I was dissappointed yesterday..even mad to some extent, but a day later I do not feel so bad and to be honest I am almost relieved I do not have to watch anymore of this tournament. Time to think about football.

However I must brag a bit and say I am very proud of the team they put together this season. Not once has one club lost as many players as Carolina did last year....and more surprisingly was the fact that they went 22-7, clinched 2nd place in the acc and beat duke in durham on their own home court. That is enough reason to smile right there. :D

UKWildcat
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Well... You should still watch the tournament even though UNC isn't in it, unless you've lost all interest. My team, Kentucky, isn't in it but I still have every intention on watching the rest. There are still some pretty good matchups. My sleeper pick this time around went to Washington, so I hope they'll continue to win. As far as my brackets go, I'm out, but I still like pulling for the teams and watching exciting games. But, I too am ready for football! No doubt about that.

I am always pleased to see Duke lose, no matter who the team is that defeats them. ;)

Btw - I called EB Games today to see if they got the analog sticks in and they did. I'm going to swing by there on my way to work tomorrow and pick them up. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and order them from Amazon. I'll be ready to game in no time, now bring on that demo! ;) :D I really do appreciate it JF96. Where the heck do you get game demos like that anyways?

JetsAndHeels
03-22-2006, 12:06 AM
UK, I mailed out that demo today.
I get them at work, the developers send them to us so we can try them out and get an idea for how they are so we can promote the games.

And about the tournament, I really have lost interest. I am sure its going to be an exciting run to the title game but I have no enthusiasm for it now that my team is out of it.

UKWildcat
03-22-2006, 09:08 AM
UK, I mailed out that demo today.
I get them at work, the developers send them to us so we can try them out and get an idea for how they are so we can promote the games.

Sweet!!!

Well I went by EB Games yesterday and picked up the replacement analog thumbsticks. They fit really nice and it makes playing game(s) 100x better. There is one problem though. Since the aftermarket thumbstick is bigger than the original, my Logitech Playgear case will no longer close and snap shut. :( I'm either going to try and find an original Sony replacement or only use the case when I travel and remove the stick. Either way, I was still disappointed and mad when they wouldn't work with my case. :cry: :mad:

Anyways, when I went to WM and EB games they didn't even have Syphon Filter for sale yet. EB games said it was "coming soon". I did check out their used games, but most of them were like $5 less than new/retail. There were a few that were $20. They did have a couple of movies (used) that I was interested in as well. I just need to compare prices because I don't know if the $10-$15 for a used movie is a good deal or not. I guess I need to do some research.

I'll let ya know when I get that demo and what I think of it! Thanks again :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
There is one problem though. Since the aftermarket thumbstick is bigger than the original, my Logitech Playgear case will no longer close and snap shut.

Update: I was able to shave some of the rubber off of one of the sticks (since it came with three) and my case will now snap shut. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I received the game demo(s) yesterday. Thanks again JF96.

Syphon filter appears to be a really good game. I am still trying to get use to the controls. They are kinda confusing right now but I'm sure the more I play it the more used to it I will become.

Haven't checked the other one out yet. Thanks for sending it too. That was a nice surprise. :thumbsup:

Are you sure you don't me to give you a couple bucks for the shipping and stuff? I don't mind.

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
UK, glad to hear you got those demos in the mail.
Don't worry about the shipping or anything. They were cheap to send out.
Enjoy!!

UKWildcat
05-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I forgot all about this topic. jedi master sal should join in soon because I believe he just recently got a PSP.

Well unfortunately I have still not picked up a new game yet. I've been doing a lot of PC gaming lately so I have pretty much neglected my PSP. However, I have purchased several umd movies for real cheap. I got Amityville Horror (new one), The Grudge, Resident Evil 2, and the Transporter. The picture quality on these things are really good. I was very much impressed. The sound quality kinda sucks through the psp, but I have a good set of headphones to make up for that.

Any news with you guys?

JetsAndHeels
05-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Right now the only games I have on psp are mlb 06 the show and syphon filter dark mirror. Nothing new right now that is catching my eye....when Superman Returns I will definately get that.

UKWildcat
05-19-2006, 12:03 AM
I've been eyeballing the Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. I've just recently beat Vice City for the PC and San Andreas is the one I am working on now. San Andreas is actually the reason I am neglecting my PSP. I never did really play GTA3, so LCS for PSP would be a completely new game for me. I'll pick up LCS after I am done with San Andreas. Like you, JF96, I mean JetsAndHeels ;), nothing new is catching my eye.

Dar' Argol
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Haven't gotten anything new for my PSP either . . .been trying to decide if I want tp drop the $50 for Kingdom Hearts II or wait till it goes on Greatest Hits.

On the news of GTA though . . anyone else ****ed at Rockstar for taking GTA4 to the XBox 360 only!?!?!

UKWildcat
05-21-2006, 01:56 PM
On the news of GTA though . . anyone else ****ed at Rockstar for taking GTA4 to the XBox 360 only!?!?!

Really? On the GTA4 site (link (http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto4/)) they have Playstation 3 listed as well as the Xbox 360. But that would suck royally if they did just release it for the 360.

hango fett
05-21-2006, 03:23 PM
it's not just 360. it's both. the exclusicve part is the episode content that can only be downloaded through xbox live.
HF

UKWildcat
05-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Ahhh... cool. Thanks for clearing that up HF. :yes:

and hopefully it will get a PC release not too long after it is released for the 360 and PS3. :fingerscrossed:

hango fett
05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
check out my new thread for more details...
HF

UKWildcat
06-05-2006, 02:45 AM
I didn't know where else to vent, so I'm going to vent in here.

I've been playing GTA: San Andreas on PC for a couple of months now. All I can say is that this is the most unstable piece of crap of a game that I've ever played on the PC. I've never had a game freeze up or give a damn error as much as this game has. The thing that gets me is, its version 2. Aren't they supposed to fix all of these bugs/errors/problems in the second release? Well someone at Rockstar or somewhere messed up big time on this one. From what I gather the game is simply amazing; but the PC release is just sooo full of s**t and bugs that it completely ruins it. I can only hope that the PS2 and Xbox versions of this game are 100% better, and I can only assume that they are. I know the more recent GTA game weren't originally geared towars the PC (unlike their predecessors) but San Andreas for PC is a damn mess and it is a disgrace. I was hoping to have more fun with this game than I did Vice City, but this is not the case. I am hardly enjoying San Andreas due to the bugs and other crap I am constantly encountering, so I can't wait for it to be over. Yes, I may continue to play through the pain and try to complete this PC disaster, since I paid $20 for it. :rolleyes:

UKWildcat
07-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Soooo any updates with you guys and your PSPs?

JAH, you'll be happy to know that I finally got my first game. Ridge Racer. I just got it today so I haven't had time to sit down and really get into it, but it looks to be really fun. The graphics are pretty impressive and the game runs extremely smoothly.

I also bought Madden 2006 but I have yet to receive that one in the mail. Are any of you familiar with the PSP version of Madden 06? I hear there is an error that some people encounter during franchise mode that causes the psp/game to crash. It doesn't sound like every copy is affected but you can send the disc back to EA and they will send a fixed replacement. Hopefully my copy will be fine.

I have also got several more UMD videos too. The more recent additions have been High Tension, Napoleon Dynamite and Sin City. With the failure and impending doom of the UMD Video format I have been trying to acquire movies that I want, while they are still available. I was hoping Target was going to clearance their UMD videos but it seems that they are able to box them up and send them somewhere. The WM here hasn't carried UMDs for a while too and they got shipped off as well as opposed to being marked down. :mad:

(incase any of you all are wondering, I haven't played GTA:SA since my last post) lol:p

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I have a PSP and a question. I read on the digital bits that "The Hills Have Eyes" was supposed to hit UMD June 20. I haven't seen it. Does anyone know if it's available for the system.

UKWildcat
07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
I can't seem to find it anywhere G_G so my guess is that it never made it to the UMD format. But I don't know for certain.

UKWildcat
07-25-2006, 10:14 AM
If any of you want a free PSP Demo of the game Gangs of London click the link below. You can also check out the trailer for the game there as well. It looks pretty sweet.

Free Gangs of London PSP Demo (http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/UCUS-98617/Site/default.asp) (uppper right corner)

UKWildcat
10-17-2006, 03:25 AM
I ended up finishing Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade the other day. It was a pretty good game, if you are into the old "hack and slash" rpg type games. I found it pretty enjoyable and rather entertaining. I started up another character and have restarted the quest. It is still pretty fun, getting different weapons and having differnet abilities etc, but I am mainly waiting to get GTA: LCS in the mail. Once I receive that, which should be by the end of the week, I should be set for a while and UL will most likely get the back burner.

I got the Gangs of London Demo in the mail and it seems like a pretty sweet game. The Demo was only of one level and one training mission so there isn't much to go by, but from what I played, it seemed really sweet. Its a lot like GTA but evidentally you can choose to be different gangs or something. Open landscape, great graphics and non-linear gameplay... Evidentally it is just like GTA but based in London. Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

Even though I am just now getting GTA: LCS, they have GTA: Vice City Stories coming out soon. I'm sure VCS is awesome and I can't wait to play it. I don't mind getting through LCS first b/c by the time I am done with that, VCS should be considerably cheaper. I absolutely loved GTA:VC for the pc and I'm sure the PSP version is going to kick ace!!! I'm really looking forward to that one. :thumbsup:

Anything new with you guys? Or am I by myself with this PSP stuff now? :nerv:

General_Grievous
10-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm also waiting for Vice City Stories, UK. I also recently picked up Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. It was money well spent. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Update:

I am about done w/ Grand Theft Auto LCS so now I'm ready to get Vice City Stories.

Target is going to have GTA Vice City Stories for $19.99 next week so I'm going to wait until Sunday and get it then, if they have it in stock. If they don't have it then I will get a raincheck.

Excellent price on that game and I thought I'd pass it along incase any of you were interested in picking it up.

Dar' Argol
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Heyya bucko's! Just got Burnout Legends recently. Since Burnout Dominator disappointed me soooo much I needed a fix. Only problem is that I cannot find anyone online to play so if any of you mooks have it lets hook up.

Also anyone play the Star Wars game yet??? I want to know if its worth playing a non-jedi character . . . .

UKWildcat
03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Heyya bucko's! Just got Burnout Legends recently. Since Burnout Dominator disappointed me soooo much I needed a fix. Only problem is that I cannot find anyone online to play so if any of you mooks have it lets hook up.

Okay, this may seem stupid but I am totally unaware, you can play PSP over the internet? :confused: :stupid: If so, I had no idea. I thought you could just play Multiplayer with PSPs that were near you, that could access the same network or within a certain range of each other? If I am wrong, then boy do I feel stupid. :nerv:

And if so, how do you do it? I don't have Burnout but I have other games that are multiplayer.

Also anyone play the Star Wars game yet??? I want to know if its worth playing a non-jedi character . . . .

Only Star Wars game I have is Battlefront II, and I haven't even played it yet. :sad:

Lord Malakite
03-23-2007, 04:11 AM
This guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/file/918340/35276) should help UK.

UKWildcat
03-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Okay, sweet. I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

Dar' Argol
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Basically you just need a wireless connection point, i.e. a router. Then you set up your PSP network options to work with that router and you are set. You may want to upgrade the firmware thought to ver 3 something I think it is. That includes the latest web browser for the PSP and a bunch of other options. I've played people in Hot Shots Golf over the net on my PSP and I've made a post or to here from it (Although I would not advise it . . . firggin took forever!!)

I've been thinking about getting SW:BF II soon. If so I'll let you know and we'll play!

UKWildcat
03-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I think I'm running firmware v. 2.8 now, haven't upgraded to 3+ yet.

I actually have my PSP set up to connect to my router and I have surfed the internet on it, checked email, etc., even visited this site, though I didn't do any posting. ;) lol

So all of that is already configured, I just didn't know I could use that to connect to other users and play games. I mean it seems logical, I just never researched it, never heard of people doing it so I was basically unaware that it had that ability.

General_Grievous
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Thought I'd post my thoughts on the PSP-exclusive 300: March to Glory. It's a fun game for what it's worth. Decapitating soldiers never gets old. Sometimes their heads even fly towards the camera! :eek: The gameplay reminded me a lot of Dynasty Warriors. There are times when you fight in a phalanx (a line of soldiers using shields and spears to defend themselves) to defeat oncoming soldiers and elephants. There are also some boss battles, such as fighting rhinos and Persian generals. There are also minor bosses like the executioner with the sword-arms from the movie. You have to defeat many of them using combos and power-ups that you achieve during the game. The levels are a bit long, but it's a fun game. Well worth the 30 bucks. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Sweet! Sounds pretty good. Glad to hear you are enjoying it GG. I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point, just need to have some free time to actually play it. Maybe I'll pick it up this summer.

Dar' Argol
04-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Has anyone tried that new Star Wars game yet??? I've been thinking about picking it up, now since it dropped to $30 . . . . but the few reviews I have read don't make it sound good. I mean you play a no name Twi'lek bounty hunter with nothing really special about her?? I don't know . . . if anyone's got it, LMK

UKWildcat
04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Has anyone tried that new Star Wars game yet??? I've been thinking about picking it up, now since it dropped to $30 . . . . but the few reviews I have read don't make it sound good. I mean you play a no name Twi'lek bounty hunter with nothing really special about her?? I don't know . . . if anyone's got it, LMK

Not I Dar'; haven't played it yet.

UKWildcat
05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
For those of you interested, Gamestop.com has their PSP Movies on sale for $4.99; which is the price they should have been in the first place. Here is a link to the sale (http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?N=136+94). I believe the sale is good in-store as well. There is not a store close to me so I ended up buying online. Cheap shipping is only $2.99, and you have to pay tax. I ended up getting 5 movies for $29.xx shipped, which is not bad at all!!!

EDIT: You can use the coupon code "saver" to get free shipping which sweetens the deal.

UKWildcat
05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone still play their PSPs? Get any new games?

Since my last posting I have picked up a couple more UMD movies, for dirt cheap, but no new games. The last game I purchased was GTA: Vice City Stories but I've barely touched it. I haven't played my PSP in what seems like forever. :(

JetsAndHeels
05-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I traded mine in. Just wasn't playing it enough and I was able to get a new 360 game and store credit.

Dar' Argol
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm looking to get the new Battle Front for it and the new Final Fantasy game for it. I'm kinda stoked for the use with the PS 3 that is on the horizon.

UKWildcat
05-15-2008, 12:16 AM
The thought has definitely entered my mind with regards to selling my PSP, but I can't bring myself to do it. I got a really good deal on it (bought it off a friend) and the games and movies I bought have all been relatively cheap, so I haven't invested a whole lot into it. I plan on playing and finishing the games I got, whenever I have some free time. I've also got a stack of PC games I need to play and finish, and those usually take priority over the PSP games. :neutral: