PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Portman hosts SNL

Maxu3x
03-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Did anybody see this? The monolouge was her answering star wars questions which was great. I wished I had recorded it because that was very informative. She also did a skit where she was interviewed and she was shown rapping. That was by far the funniest skit on that show and I laughed a lot. she did a great job.

James Boba Fettfield
03-05-2006, 01:13 AM
I missed the opening (was watching the end of another show), but I did like her music video. Everything else I saw on there was terrible, especially that musical act. Where they dig up these groups, I dunno.

figrin bran
03-05-2006, 01:37 AM
haha, everyone on the west coast can still catch this as it isn't 11:30 yet.

AmanaMatt
03-05-2006, 02:01 AM
She did a good job, overall. The opening was pretty funny and I really laughed at the rap song.

figrin bran
03-05-2006, 02:41 AM
"i think you got your neimodians mixed up!" :D

just the other day at jamba juice, i was wondering exactly why must they try to force one of the free boosts into your drink and lo and behold, there's a skit about it.

Jayspawn
03-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Natalie did a great job. The Jamba Juice skit was great! Her Rap had me rolling on the couch too. Her opening was pretty good, there was going to be some Star Wars questions brought up at some point so it was cool that she went into that right away.

Falloutboy stunk! I couldnt understand a word they said.

Rocketboy
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
She was a lot better at this kind of comedy than I figured she'd be. The rap was funny, but I couldn't help thinking "Wow, she is so white."
I also noticed in the bah mitzvah skit, Sheldon called her by her real last name.

As for Fallout Boy - how can a band with such a great name suck so much?

JimJamBonds
03-06-2006, 01:03 PM
The monologue, Jamba Juice and rap were great. The Numi skit (in a sick sort of way lol ) was good as was the Bah Mitzvah bit. I also like the Sasha Cohnen sp? bit was pretty good as well.

Larry King skit = sucked!

Lazer Brain
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
the begining was good, the the skits i saw where funny then....well, i was doing well until some band came on and i was out like a light, so whoever it was put me to sleep and i missed the rest.
later

Tycho
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Here's the link to her SNL music video. It's shocking but very funny.

http://dantwo.net/video/snl_natalieportman.wmv

2-1B
03-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I love that video. The kid in the Amidala costume who got dissed was precious. lol

Droid
03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Anyone else find it odd that an SNL monologue explained the Sifo-dyas situation more than Episode III? :rolleyes:

2-1B
03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
No. :confused:

That's why I found it funny, that she had to explain the obvious to Samberg's nerdy character. lol

Droid
03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
No. :confused:

That's why I found it funny, that she had to explain the obvious to Samberg's nerdy character. lol

I don't think there was anything at all obvious about the Sifo-dyas situation from just the movies. Was there really a Sifo-dyas? What did Obi-wan and Mace know that they gave each other a knowing glance? Was Sifo-dyas on the Jedi council? When exactly did he die? Who ordered the clones? Sifo-dyas or someone acting on his behalf? Isn't it odd that Sifo-dyas is so close in pronunciation to Sidous? So does that mean Sidious ordered the clones and there was no Sifo-dyas at all? It was a real problem in Episode II made no clearer by Episode III.

And I don't think the joke was supposed to be that she was explaining something obvious. I think the joke was that Natalie Portman is actually an expert on Star Wars and the Expanded Universe, where everything she said about Sifo-dyas has to be found, because it was not seen or stated in the FILMS.

JimJamBonds
03-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I thought the monologue was great.

2-1B
03-10-2006, 12:03 AM
And I don't think the joke was supposed to be that she was explaining something obvious. I think the joke was that Natalie Portman is actually an expert on Star Wars and the Expanded Universe, where everything she said about Sifo-dyas has to be found, because it was not seen or stated in the FILMS.

Sorry but I think you're way off base there because I'd bet that basically nobody in the general SNL demographic has ever wondered about the questions raised here, and even if they were made aware of the questions I'm sure very few people would even care enough about the movies in the first place to wonder. :)

As for Episode III, I think Obi-Wan's comment that "it appears Palpatine was behind everything, including the war" was meant to wrap it all up. Dooku/Tyrannus hired Jangers and someone ordered the clones under the name of the dead Sifo-Dyas. Whether that guy himself ordered the clones or if Dooku put on a dress and masqueraded as Sifo, it doesn't really matter in the end since we see Dooku in league with Sids/Palps at the end of AOTC. :)

I thought the monologue was great.

Me too. :) I thought it was awesome, every home should have one.

JediTricks
03-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Droid is completely right, the setup for the gag is her saying how fans treat her like she knows all this arcane detail stuff, then she gets asked a question about some Star Wars detail and she responds with a correction and a detailed answer with info even more arcane than was in the movie. There was absolutely nothing obvious about the question or the answer, and citing that line from Ep 3 (it's "appears the chancellor", not Palpatine) really seems like asking too much of the casual audience which I doubt even picked up on that line at all with any weight.

2-1B
03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Exactly, the same casual audience who apparently gives a **** about ROTS almost a year later ? :confused:

I know you guys are hung up on how bad the prequels were, but believe me, the average moviegoer/SNL viewer doesn't really think that much about it. lol lol lol

Guys, the joke was on the nerdy fans like us who get too into the movies, not the movie itself. :D

Tycho
03-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Did anyone ask her if both axles on Mouse Droids have independent suspension systems and 4 wheel drive? I'd think even average, everyday, non-fans would want to know that - so their Mouse Droids for home use don't get stuck on carpeting, etc.

Right?:crazed:

Sith Lord 0498
03-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Did anyone ask her if both axles on Mouse Droids have independent suspension systems and 4 wheel drive? I'd think even average, everyday, non-fans would want to know that - so their Mouse Droids for home use don't get stuck on carpeting, etc.

Right?:crazed:

My goodness, Tycho...you need some serious help. Maybe wean yourself off by only sniffing 1-2 Mouse Droids a day. :p :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-19-2006, 02:34 AM
I was visiting with my sister today and she asked if I saw the NatPo episode. I was telling her about how much I loved the rap video and what did she say to me in return ? :)

"I liked the opening, when she was correcting those so-called Star Wars nerds." lol

I immediately thought of this thread and for a moment I thought to "explain" to her ;) that no, she was not making fun of the nerds but rather GLu's poorly explained story put forth in ROTS. I mean, how could my sister be so dumb to not pick up on the real ;) joke of the monologue? lol lol lol

Of course I kept mum on the topic because she would have looked at me with that WTF look she sometimes gives me, and suddenly she would have seen me as that Andy Samberg character. :crazed:

Tycho
03-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Caesar, all of us look at you like that Andy Samberg character anyway. :p

Who's Andy Samberg anyway?

Jayspawn
03-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I immediately thought of this thread and for a moment I thought to "explain" to her ;) that no, she was not making fun of the nerds but rather GLu's poorly explained story put forth in ROTS. I mean, how could my sister be so dumb to not pick up on the real ;) joke of the monologue? lol lol lol

She wasnt making fun of GLu at all. It was explained earlier in the thread. :p

OC47150
03-19-2006, 01:50 PM
There's been three very funny episodes of SNL this season and Natalie's was one of them. I normally tape it and fast-forward the boring stuff. Not this episode!

Her video was great.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I meant to record it, but I had my cable box on the wrong channel. Instead, I recorded a couple hours of music from the Music Choice alternative channel. I"ll have to be sure to catch it in reruns.

JimJamBonds
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
The monologue was great, every episode should have one.