PDA

View Full Version : What time of day do you shop for Star Wars collectibles?

JediTricks
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
This week's poll asks collectors what time of day they hit their stores in the hunt for new Star Wars toys.

Some of us go in after work while others are at the doors in the early morning, still others find the competition during the day too difficult and go in to 24-hour stores to hunt for figures overnight, while some remain casual and go in during their lunch hours when things are easygoing and there are few customers. Naturally you'll have to generalize on this one, not every collector can stick to a specific hunting schedule, so just tell us at what time of day you most often shop for Star Wars goods.

Slicker
03-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I usually go hunting when I wake up which is generally about 2 or 3 in the afternoon (and no I'm not lazy I get out of work at about 7 in the morning) and I haven't really had any troubles getting any toys. I do occasionally go out earlier but the majority of the time I hunt in the afternoon.

El Chuxter
03-06-2006, 05:34 PM
It's pretty tough for me to nail down one particular time slot. I stop almost every day at WM on the way into work, and at Target on the way out. (I'd do both in the morning, but Target's not open yet.)

Bacta Beast
03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
There should be another selection for folks whose times very to much to nail down.

Tycho
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I have a Wal-Mart that stocks overnight and opens at 7am. I get there at about 6:45am and wait until they unlock the doors and then wipe everything out until I'm satisfied.

I then go to Target and wait outside the door at about 7:50am, and do the same thing at 8am when they open the doors.

I don't bother going when I have everything that's shipping (that I want) and enough of it (for armies, etc).

I don't know if the HotWheel guys buy the stuff when I'm not there - because I'm not there. But I doubt it's profitable for them. So I think my leavings and eventually the stuff I was never there to see on the pegs anyway trickle down to the casual shopper, etc.

Occasionally, when I'm up late, I stop bye close to midnight (they pull the pallets out between 10pm and 12am) - but I've had no reason to lately. I just don't want enough of the new stuff Hasbro is putting out there.

The one thing I do is buy my household supplies from Wal-Mart (it's cheap considering their slave wages they pay to keep their costs down there). It's far easier to shop and have no hold ups in the checkout lines at 7am than at any other time in their busy stores.

rich_of_the_dead
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
dont have to shop my brother works @ toys r us and his gf's sister works the toy dept @ target and my mom works @ walmart so i am pretty much covered:love: :love: :love: :love:

JediTricks
03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
If you shop at random times, vote for the one you spend the MOST time with, the general time, and if that doesn't work, try voting for the times you FIND the most stuff. Like I shop from 3 to 10 when I go out, but I generally don't find stuff after 8.

darthverbo
03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I own my own business so I can get out in the morning. I hit Target every morning they get a truck. I hit Wal-Mart as well but they have a group of late nighters that always clean it out before i get there.:sad: We have 2 super Walmarts in my town and there is a group of high school collectors that go at 1 am to both walmarts, So the only way I get anything there is after they have had their 1st pick. I get back at them at Target and toysrus though. Not really! Walmart always get stuff before anyone else and our toysrus sucks. Our Target is OK. Iv'e done well there.
We seem to have some serious collectors around here. We are always cleaned out of Star Wars toys. I almost resent some of my fellow collectors. i get ****ed when I miss a recent shippment. Especially since i am so good about checking in. It seems i have to check every day or else I'll miss out.
i never found one seperation of the twins figure because the high school punks bought every single one. They didn't even leave one!!!!! I know one of the kids has 4 sets. why does he need 4 frickin sets!!!!???? It isn't even a very cool set. Repacks with a baby. But I am a completist when it comes to 3 3/4" figures and i just want one of everything!
enough venting. AM is the best time to look. Most stores stock at night. Happy collecting!

jaxx
03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I usually make it out to stores after work. Occasionally, I can get to one around lunch time. Unfortunately, the time that I have available to go to the stores isn't a good time. I just can't find anything... mainly it's because of the people that wait outside of the stores until they open and wipe everything out... it's because of the people that wait around in a 24 hour store at 2AM (or whenever the store puts out the pallets) and wipe everything out... it's because of the scalpers who wipe everything out... it's because of the people that work at the stores and buy up everything for themselves or friends, and leave nothing for regular consumers. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot left over. Luckily... I've kicked the completist thing when it comes to this new Saga line, so it doesn't p*ss me off as much now as it did for the last several years. There are still some figures that I'd like to find, however. Unfortunately, they are clones, troopers and other popular figures... so it seems that I might have a hassle when trying finding them.
AND the hunt/competition continues!

Bobby Fett
03-06-2006, 09:11 PM
6:45 am, day after day. I got used to getting up at 6:00 back when I had to go to work. Now it's habit, so I just go shopping.

Kidhuman
03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, I usually check WM at night when they pack out as my schedule dictates,but will hit Target early morning about 8:30 if I am looking for something.

figrin bran
03-06-2006, 10:41 PM
i have my best success during mornings. however, i have extreme difficulty waking up in time to make it to stores before opening and so i voted for late mornings.

i have had a bit of success with early evening hunts - in fact, i found my one and only shocktrooper during an early evening (around 7 pm or so) hunt.

bobafrett
03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I put down early morning 6am to 9 am. I hate going after work in the evenings since there is usually nothing to be found. I have put stuff up for my fellow collectors, but since my store no longer has risers, it's first come, first serve.

UKWildcat
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
'Late morning' here... I usually have to work at 12 pm so I will swing by Target and WM on my way, usually between 10:30 and 11:30 respectively.

dindae
03-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I ussually hit the store on my way home from work 4-6. But if I'm going hardcore to find something I will go during my lunch as well.

jedi master sal
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Seeing as how I work from 8:30am to 5pm and have to wait on my fianceť to pick me up at 6-6:30pm, I'm forced to pick 7pm-11pm. I'd much rather go in the mornings but don't have the time to do so, and I can't justify doing that to my fianceť.

It sucks that I'm so limited in time, because that forces me to have to go to many more stores than I really want to. Since stores are generally picked over by the time I get to them and the workers aren't going to restock the shelves that time of night I have to go to a lot of stores. Just in the hopes of finding those elusive figures I so want. Of course being an army builder makes it even tougher to find the quantities of figures I want too.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
There really should be a "Whenever my life allows me to" option in the poll. I try to go in the morning but sometimes I have to go in the afternoon or evening. My life isn't dictated by Star Wars toys.

abell748
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I chose the 6-9 am. Because my job is from 2am-11am and allows me to be out in my car from 6-11, I can hit WM early and head over to Target when they open on Thursday thru Sunday. I still can't hit ***t!!! I was off yesterday and today, but when I went to Target to get Harry Potter DVD for my kids, we went back and saw that the one day I did not go they put put 1 case of Geonosis. I need the CLONES AND STORES GETTING 1 CASE AT A TIME IS NOT GOING TO HELP THE COLLECTOR GET ANYTHING ESPECIALLY WHEN THE FIGURES PEOPLE WANT ARE 1 A CASE. Done venting now, I shall stop screaming to the wind as Hasbro and the stores seem to not want my money.

Lazer Brain
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
early morning works, i have 2walmarts and a target on the way to work, so in morning when i feel lucky i head out early to check... i sometimes show up late for work, but thats because i might have a great score.
later

Ji'dai
03-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Late morning, most often around the lunch hour.

Fridays typically yield good finds since stores are freshly stocked in prep for the voracious descent of weekend shoppers. I usually avoid going on Mondays or Tuesdays since stores are still recovering from the weekend and the pegs/shelves often need to be replenished.

skeeziks22
03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Early morning, almost every morning before work... Wal-Mart ~ 7:00 and Fred Meyers shortly thereafter. TRU opens at 10:00 and if I can slip away from work then I'll do that as well.

I will look for the pallets late at night only when I am already out. Usually when I am out that late I am with my wife, who has no qualms about telling me how much she does not like toy shopping. If we're stopping for something else then it is no big deal.

timmae
03-09-2006, 12:00 AM
my daughter has no qualms either. although she digs target. just i like to get in and out. obviosly i am shopping the wrong times. i look a lot and never saw a tactical ops(til the tru 2 pack). i still have not seen scorch and utapau. i've gotten up so many times hours early to just miss them. it would be worth it just to pay extra and get more sleep. it is always a thrill to find it in the store though.mayby i can get lucky at tru, cause walmart and target have been bad for me lately.

skeeziks22
03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
mayby i can get lucky at tru, cause walmart and target have been bad for me lately.

I just found a Scorch and Utapau trooper at TRU. That's not a bad option especially since Wal-Mart upped their prices. Also, they open later (10:00 am up here) and stock over night so it's easier to get there right at opening. I scored some Tactical ops trooper 2-packs there for the same reason.

Wal-Marts in town have adjusted their prices but have not restocked their figures yet. Oh well, I found all I am looking for for now anyways.

trandoshan666
03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I used to hit three Super Wal-Marts almost nightly at around 10:30 p.m.; three Targets on the five days a week after trucks came, and TRU every Wednesday night, just before close (when the SW stuff had just arrived). I knocked that off after getting the Separation of the Twins figures, and now just look for figures when I happen to be at one of those stores. Incredibly, I've easily found the first three Saga Collection waves using this "non-collecting" method, am wasting a lot less fuel, and have a much happier wife (no more husband ducking out every night to scour stores for toys).

plasticfetish
03-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I was thinking about this... there really needs to be an "In your sleep" option. ;) Might be fitting around here. I'll say early mornings though, as I can hit a place or two after I take the kid to school in the AM.

UKWildcat
05-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Still "late morning" here... although I haven't found much of anything in a long time. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-20-2006, 04:50 AM
I chose Early Evening back in the day and it still holds true... and it still fails me. :p

Slicker
05-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Hell, I haven't gone toy shopping in a long time. I may just go today for old times sake as I doubt I'll find a damn thing.

Tycho
05-20-2006, 10:55 AM
This survey? It implies there's something WORTHWHILE to go shopping for?!

Early morning when the stores first open is the only time I really need to go so that I'm not frustrated by empty pegs - as when I find them actually stocked, I empty them myself.

Until the Tatooine Wave hits, I have no reason to go though. Then, only long enough to get 8 Hem Dazons and NOTHING from the rest of it.

JediTricks
05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
This survey? It implies there's something WORTHWHILE to go shopping for?!

Early morning when the stores first open is the only time I really need to go so that I'm not frustrated by empty pegs - as when I find them actually stocked, I empty them myself.

Until the Tatooine Wave hits, I have no reason to go though. Then, only long enough to get 8 Hem Dazons and NOTHING from the rest of it.
Luckily it's not just a survey of 1.

Val Da Car
05-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Luckily it's not just a survey of 1.

Tycho is just letting us into his world....

btw it is good to see the forums up again.

I usually go early evening on the ride home from work (3 Targets & 2 WM & 1 TRU) or the 8:30pm to 10:30pm pallet run to TRU,Target & WM that are 15 min South of my house and that has been successful on occassion (this week was the HW collector and scalper Psychology observation experiment.

I did pick up the unleashed just to make sure I had them and had to field off questions from the the HW Scalper (any variants there?)

Tycho
05-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Tycho is just letting us into his world....

In Tycho's new world, $400 gets him and his girl a limo ride to a seaside resort hotel downtown San Diego, where $100 dinners are served before Queensryche takes the stage only several seating rows away, followed by fireworks over the port, and a night's stay in the ambassador class suite, to be followed by breakfast with the band the morning after.

The trade-off would be

$66 Sideshow Mace
$66 Sideshow Qui-Gon
$66 Sideshow Darth Maul
$45 Lucas Family 4-pack*
$40 Disney Star Tours new droids*
$50 8 Hem Dazon (Arcona) action figures*
$18 3 Chief Chirpa action figures*
$20 extra Hailfire Droid for lack of Corporate Alliance Tank Droid from ROTS
$29 for whatever else I *might* be compelled to buy

Like any of that crap is going to really make me any happier...

*stuff I'll likely buy anyway

In any case, I'm actually thrilled to be moving on with my life and not pinching pennies to spend so much on Star Wars as I used to have to do.

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 03:29 AM
I found me the New unleashed shopping at 2am this morning.

JON9000
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I found me the New unleashed shopping at 2am this morning.

I usually hit up the Wal-mart over lunch because there are multiple restaurants nearby. I don't really make any dedicated SW runs anymore, not with gas being what it is.

UKWildcat
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't really make any dedicated SW runs anymore, not with gas being what it is.

Same here. Thankfully Target is on my way to work, I drive right by it. Therefore I check them more often than anywhere else. WM is on the other side of town so I maybe go there once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes not at all.

Kidhuman
05-23-2006, 03:24 AM
I usually hit up the Wal-mart over lunch because there are multiple restaurants nearby. I don't really make any dedicated SW runs anymore, not with gas being what it is.

I hit WM that late because I get off at 1:30 and usually need to pick someting up for the house, so I look at that time. I dont go out in the morning to Target unless something is there like an exclusive that I need.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-01-2006, 07:11 PM
On the weekend, I don't get up early often enough for me to hit the stores, it is usually in the early afternoon that I manage to visit the local retail stores. Of course by then, the pickings are slim, but I do often find what I need.

Every weekday I am out the door by 7:20 but work beckons and a toy run before would take too much time away from where I need to be. Although I do entertain thoughts of making a quick trip, I know better.

Luuuuuuke
10-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I usually hit one Target(almost never Walmart) before work, between 8:30 a.m. and 9:10 a.m, which lets me get to work at 9:30 a.m. I do that on average about once every two days.

I would say that I stop by after work maybe once every two to three days nowadays. Usually Target or TRU. Occassionally Wal-Mart. WM I usually visit on a weekend.

I don't really like going to Wal-Mart. In the morning it usually seems like a waste of time. And I absolutely never go to TRU in the morning unless it's a weekend, and even then, I rarely go during opening.