PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart price increase

Kidhuman
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I was in the local WM today and noticed the price went up to 6.63 per figure. Why?

El Chuxter
03-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I was about to report the same thing from the Hemet, CA, store and ask if it was universal. I suppose it is. :( This makes Target the low-price leader, at least until they realize Wal-Mart marked theirs up and follow suit.

CaptainSolo1138
03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Awesome. I don't understand why every home doesn't have one.

Darth Cruel
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Kinda sucks!

Edit - I hit the wrong button. Didn't need to put the quote in the post.

JediTricks
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I suspected this would happen. There was talk that WM's computer screwed up the listing for TSC figs, giving them the same pricepoint as ROTS, and I surmised that this was the true reason WM was charging a buck less than MSRP and its chief competition. My guess is they finally caught up with this.

DarkArtist
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
At my walmart out here in Jersey, I just bought the Hoth Snowtrooper and AT-AT as well as Poggle the Lesser and they all rang up $5.88. Perhaps it is not all over ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
I hope it isn't widespread, but it probably is. This is not good . . .

TheDarthVader
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
The more things like this happen, the more I get frustrated with Target, the more I get frustrated with K Mart, the more I get frustrated with Toys R Us, then the more cases of figures I am going to start buying from on-line sources. This is getting ridiculous. First we can't find figures and now the price of those figures we can find is going to go up. I am willing to bet that Target will soon follow suit and raise their prices back up to $6.99. Bah!

B.
TDV

Slicker
03-08-2006, 06:07 PM
That is strange indeed that WM would be higher in price than Target and almost be higher than even K-Mart. Something'll be done about this and WM will be the lowest again.

UKWildcat
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
This would really suck since the Target here still charges $6.94. I'm going by WM within the next few days so hopefully I'll find that the price hasn't gone up. I'll let ya know.

mtriv73
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Didn't they raise the price in 2003 or 2004 just before Easter and drop it again soon thereafter? I seem to remember paying more for the first Boba fett Pitt of Carkoon figure than usual and being ticked to find it cheaper a month later at the same Wal-mart. Maybe they caught up with a computer glitch or maybe they just want to make a big deal about dropping their price again a month from now. Either way we're screwed and I'm shopping at Target.

mastermatt24
03-08-2006, 10:42 PM
HUrraY! More reasons to buy less. Eh. It was bound to happen.

timmae
03-08-2006, 11:04 PM
not like i find anything anyways. ee cases may be the way to go. i can use the xtra sleep, gas, energy, time, and lower my frusterations.:mad:

Kidhuman
03-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Well, last year at this time the transition wave was higher priced, then they lowered the price when ROTS came out, hopefully they will do it again. They are still the cheapest in this area with Target charging 6.89 per figure.

Bacta Beast
03-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Actually some Targets have lowered their price to 5.99.

Man this sucks!!! As soon as Target gets wind of this they'll raise theirs up quicker than a prom dress!!

ace2005
03-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Houston, Texas here the confirmed Wal-mart price increase has happened here also...

:(

Sith Lord 0498
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Same thing up here in Northeastern PA. I noticed it a few days ago.

Tycho
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
It's a conspiracy (I've a talent for spotting those):

Hasbro made their money in 2005 and SW helped them climb to being the TOP Toy Manufacturer. They sold a lot of stock and got a lot of investment in the company (an article or two were even posted here on SSG). Then they looked one last time at their customers (when they all got back from their paid vacations) and said "Screw them!" Hence: the Saga2 Collection (with a few gems forthcoming like Hem Dazon, and a few out there like General Veers).

The real price of SW figures is like $1,000 per figure or whatever Attikus is going to charge for selling us stuff we already have, but the extra non-articulation makes it more valuable :rolleyes:

SideShow is a bright point amongst all this.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
oh no!! almost 7 bucks a figure!!! Good thing I've found NOTHING in my Wal-mart roughly 2 1/2 months. But, by the crazy chance in hell I do, i always got my discount card. :D

Ric Olie
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I discovered this nasty little surprise today. My local store put out the Geonosis wave on Monday and I picked up Sun Fac and Sora Bulq. I was going to get Poggle the Lesser but I put him back. The figures were 5.88. Today I saw they still had a Poggle left so I went ahead and got him only to discover on my ticket that I was charged 6.63. I went back and scanned the other figures to see if they did as well.

What made me so mad (besides the increase) was the fact the shelf tags still said 5.88.

I'll be getting even more picky when it comes to figures at almost 7 dollars a pop.

jedi master sal
03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I discovered this nasty little surprise today. My local store put out the Geonosis wave on Monday and I picked up Sun Fac and Sora Bulq. I was going to get Poggle the Lesser but I put him back. The figures were 5.88. Today I saw they still had a Poggle left so I went ahead and got him only to discover on my ticket that I was charged 6.63. I went back and scanned the other figures to see if they did as well.

What made me so mad (besides the increase) was the fact the shelf tags still said 5.88.

I'll be getting even more picky when it comes to figures at almost 7 dollars a pop.

If the shelf tags STILL say that, then you can DEMAND they sell them to you at that price. I've done that on more than one occassion. It's a false price listing and is against the law. It's almost on par with "bait and switch". Legally they have to sell it to you for the lowest price they have listed, wether that be advertisment or in-house.

Kidhuman
03-09-2006, 04:30 PM

I agree with Sal, I have gotten many a figure at a cheaper price because they left the old tags up. And WM's policy is if it rings up more than the price tag, they give you a three dollar gift card as well.

TheDarthVader
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
And I agree with KH who had just previously agreed with Sal. You should be able to get the difference back if you get an associate to check the shelf tag.

B.
TDV

stad
03-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, the $3 thing is true, I've gotten it before.

Oh yeah, I can verify today that the new price is $6.63, at least in middle Tennessee (Dickson, Clarksville, Nashville).

KENNY GUIDO
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
my walmart rose thier price to $6.63 last night. and as of 1 minute ago, the target 1 mile down the road has thier figures at $5.89 still. but the target furthur down the road has thier figures at $6.49.

Turbowars
03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
It's just as well. I'm not supposed to buy anything from them anyways. I'm a Union man. Besides there isn't one around where I live.

LTBasker
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
So...after tax, these will be close to $7 each. Can I get an OW?

Does anyone know where Target might be advertising their $5.xx in a physical ad? I want to keep an ad cut-out with me in case I need a price matching at Rape-Mart.

plasticfetish
03-09-2006, 11:06 PM
So...after taxWhat is this "tax" thing that you speak of? ;)

Bah, whatever. The prices in the stores go up and down... I don't think any of the Targets around me lowered their price and I couldn't care less about Wal*Mart, not that I'm surprised that they've changed theirs. I'm sure it'll happen again and again.

Lazer Brain
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
boo hisssss, they restocked the hoth wave and raised the prices today at my walmart.
later

Val Da Car
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Flyover country (Midwest in the Hiz Hous!)

We now pay $6.63 each figure (a nifty $0.75 increase = more profit per figure) at the two WM's I hit last night.

Ric Olie
03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Normally I would go back and get a refund but I didn't have time. The next time new figures go out on the shelf and the tags stills say 5.88 they're going to give'em to me for that.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Where I am, just south of Salt Lake City, Targets have figures at $5.89 and at the $6.50+ price at WM which just changed a day or two ago.

I don't know about other locations but in this area WM will typically price match without having an ad on hand. I do it all the time with groceries, DVDs, and other items. For video games you need the ad, though, but everything else seems to be kosher w/o the ad...even if it's not an advertised price.

stad
03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
So...after tax, these will be close to $7 each. Can I get an OW?

Does anyone know where Target might be advertising their $5.xx in a physical ad? I want to keep an ad cut-out with me in case I need a price matching at Rape-Mart.

Yeah, I don't think it is actually in a physical ad, I think it is just their (new) normal price.

LTBasker
03-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Found two peg-fulls of new figures containing both Hoth figs that I haven't seen and Geonosis figs and the price on the tags read $6.63. >_< I didn't buy any though, but that was because none of them matched the specific figure/holo figure combinations I was looking for.

mtriv73
03-11-2006, 10:45 AM
It only took 3 days, but the target's near me are back up to 6.83 for their basic figures. Thanks Wal-Mart :rolleyes:

:) :whip:

Bobby Fett
03-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Guys, you have to look at the price increase from Wally-World's perspective:

$6.63 per figure times zero figures = $0.00!

That's a whopping $0.00 added to their bottom line!

See how quickly it adds up? It's just simple economics.

LTBasker
03-11-2006, 06:10 PM
It won't be hard to not buy any figures, having to find specific figure/holo figure combinations plus the frakked up distribution means I can't find any to buy anyways.

This is going to be a sucky year.

Turbowars
03-11-2006, 07:40 PM
It won't be hard to not buy any figures, having to find specific figure/holo figure combinations plus the frakked up distribution means I can't find any to buy anyways.

This is going to be a sucky year.You are collecting certain figures with certain Holos? Are you out of youe mind?:cross-eye

Kidhuman
03-11-2006, 09:44 PM
You are collecting certain figures with certain Holos? Are you out of youe mind?:cross-eye

Yeah he will never find that Derlin with Boba Fett.

Tycho
03-11-2006, 10:28 PM
What the hell would anyone want certain figures with certain holos for? Completist variation collecting?

I guess if you're collecting EVERYTHING carded. Lt. Basker, if you want the loose holos, someone here would probably mail them to you. I don't even really look at mine. A Vader or Kenobi holo might be useful for a scene with figures, but that's about it. I don't know what you'd use a Fett hologram for, or a Han Solo one for that matter.

If you're carded-collecting certain figures with certain holos, I'd look into sadomasachism clubs as well. A really good whipping might then feel great too. Also try poking yourself in the eye socket with a fork. :rolleyes:

There are 12 holos, right? With 21 figures out right now, that means a total completist would have 21x12 = 252 figures already, this year.:crazed:

That is beyond 12-step program help!

LTBasker
03-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Well...that was vastly misunderstood. Take for example the Boba Fett figure, I only got him with holos directly related to him. 2x Vaders (one to open) and 1x Boba, that's all. I wouldn't get like Derlin w/ Yoda, in fact the only one I'm going to get Derlin with is the Rebel Trooper. Granted, it does involve getting 1 or 2 more per figure than I would usually get for the carded collection, but it's not getting every single variation.

Take the 3PO thing for instance, I won't be getting 12 of him due to the battle droid/3po head variations. The only one's I'll be getting are Battle Droid head 3po with Dooku holo and the 3PO head version with Amidala. That's the same amount I would have gotten anyways without the holograms.

While it's rather annoying than just being able to pick up the figure and go, it's not nearly as bad as you misunderstood it to be.

Based on what you have I would have 42 figures for the carkoon wave after 1 of each plus opener doubles. What it will be is 23, 12 I would get anyways (1 open, 1 carded) this means 11 extra. ie: Han, Leia and Chewie I feel should come with both Han and Luke holos as well as one to open. So I would end up with 2 Han/Luke/Leia carded and 1 open. This will not apply for things such as if it were ANH Leia I wouldn't get her with ROTJ Luke, only Han.

Then there are figures like Geonosis 3PO which I won't get openers so it cuts it down even more. With the price increase, I may just complete my sets of the Hoth and Carkoon waves that I want and then just stop. Even if I only got one of each, $7 a figure is ridiculous.

Of course, if I can't find them in the first place then I don't have to worry anyways. More money to spend with another company.