PDA

View Full Version : 1000th post reflection

Darth Cruel
03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
1000 posts. That is a huge milestone for me. I see other guys with a lot more, some are mods and some aren't, but for whatever reason, there are quite a few people with a lot more than that. But for me, it is a pretty big thing. And I hope you all don't mind if I reflect for a little while.

I don't remember the very first day I posted on SSG. It was long before the current date shown on the profile, but I know that some of the improvements to the forums have required starting over on the counts. I am pretty sure my first registration was in '96. Maybe early '97.

And at 41, I am fairly certain that I am one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) member. But I have been a die hard fan of this story since it came out in '77 and bought every toy from the first two movies even though it was to play with them and not collect. I missed out on the stuff from Episode 6 due to my military service. I didn't start to collect until '96, so I have almost no vintage stuff yet (some, but not much).

I took a hiatus from collecting for about a year to a year and a half because finances got tough. But I dedicated myself to getting a job that would support the family AND the collection and eventually was able to get back into it with a vengeance. And I have vowed to always have the resources to collect after that.

And this 'site has been my primary source of information since the begining. I don't even remember how I first came to know about the 'site. But being around here has been a non-stop adventure. The points-of-view that I get to experience each day add almost as much color to the collecting as the new figures do (to me). And being able to get the pics from the events we can't go to is huge to me. This 'site was my guiding light through the pain and anguish of the prequels.

I've seen another 'site spin off from this one (and another 'site spin off from that one). I've seen people who had to be banned after just a few posts and some after many (am I a jerk for thinking that some of their posts were entertaining even if they weren't appropriate). I have been disappointed by some of the members who chose to stop collecting and posting, and I've been glad to see one or two come back.

And it is always fun to be able to do any small thing to help other people find stuff.

And I am looking forward to the next 1000 posts and beyond.

And this post better get me a new title!

Edit - YES!

bobafrett
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Congratulations on your 1,000 post. It feels good to know that I'm not the only old timer around these forums. I turn 41 in May, and also have been here for a few years. I have no idea how many posts I have, but it's all good.

Kidhuman
03-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Congrats, maybe when you grow up you will have as many as me. I think BobbyFett is the oldest on the forums personally though.

Slicker
03-09-2006, 04:36 AM
I was thinkin' the same thing. I won't say how old I think he is for fear of being wrong and insulting the old fart.:p

Darth Cruel
03-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Congrats, maybe when you grow up you will have as many as me. I think BobbyFett is the oldest on the forums personally though.

LOL - That was too funny. I like the thought of measuring my age in terms of how many posts I have and I will be doing that from now on.

LusiferSam
03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Congrats on making the 1,000th post mark. I know what a good feeling it is to reach such a goal (my self having recently reach 1,000). I look forward to seeing you around for another 1,000.

Lazer Brain
03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
CONGRATS! i have enjoyed many of your posts/replies. i am at a mere 300 but am amost as OLD? what the hell, I am 38 and 41 is not old...dangit! i still play with the toys!
later

Bobby Fett
03-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I was thinkin' the same thing. I won't say how old I think he is for fear of being wrong and insulting the old fart.:p

By golly, I'm finally the best at something!

Now shut up and let me get back to my nap. :sleeping: :sleeping:

Jayspawn
03-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Congratulations on the 1000th post Darth Cruel. Its indeed a milestone and also a reflective one also. It makes me think of how much Star Wars Collecting has changed also.

CaptainSolo1138
03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
By golly, I'm finally the best at something!

Now shut up and let me get back to my nap. :sleeping: :sleeping:
LMAO!

I reached the 1,000 plateau a couple months ago. It's becoming increasingly difficult for my post count to grow since about 3/4 of my posts are in the "Misc." threads, with half of those not even counting toward my tally.

But alas, congrats, Cruel. Welcome to the club.

Exhaust Port
03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Congrats on your first 1000 posts. I agree with the others here, 41 isn't old just more senior that these young punks we have running around. :)

scruffziller
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I know it's weird. Kidhuman started way after me, but he is up to almost 10,000 posts and I only have little over 4,000. I am known for being on SSG ALOT by my family members.:D