PDA

View Full Version : Didn't someone else say they had seen the Vulture Droid variation?

Warstar
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I thought I had read in a thread recently that someone found the same variation (error?) of the Titanium Series Vulture Droid with extra stripes on the rear of the left wing (upper right of wing as viewed from the front of the package).

If you have seen this variant, post here...

Better yet- if you can take a pic of it, post it here (I'll post the pics of my Mass Retail Wave 2 variations again later).

EVEN better yet, pick up the Vulture Droid with the extra stripes and I'll pay you for it since if more of these actually exist I want one to open :D

AND if more do exist, then I would assume it's a bonafide variation and not an error! :razz: That would rock!

Thanks!

Darth Michael
03-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I've got both versions. When looking at it in the package, there are two black stripes on the upper end, outer side, of the left wing. This is the only difference I have noticed without opening them. I've seen both versions in stores recently. Send me a confirmation PM, and I'll grab the next "extra stripes" Vulture I see for you.

I put a pic here (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/mtraub/Toys/IMG_3325.jpg).

(And, while I'm posting pictures and just for fun, a "target of opportunity" pic I happened to snap, here (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/mtraub/Toys/IMG_3130.jpg).)

Warstar
03-09-2006, 01:27 AM
WOW! Those stripes are on the OPPOSITE sides of the ones I have! See the pics below! :shocked:

I PM'd ya- I'll need TWO of the ones missing the stripes like you pictured there...

(I.E. like the fighter on the LEFT side of your pic)

If you find one like mine below with the extra stripes on the LEFT wing (the circled areas), I need one of them to open! (Basically, I need another Vulture Droid that looks like the packaged ship on TOP in the left pic- which is the one on the LEFT side of the other picture!)

WOW!

I hate variations sometimes :p

JediTricks
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Those missing stripes on the other side suggest that this is *not* a variation but a paint mask error.

Darth Michael
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Which version is the error?

Warstar
03-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, technically an error IS a variation :p

But I digress- I know what we're talking about here. A legit "variation" has to show up in quantity, and without more of these oddities popping up it's hard to tell what's an error and what's a variant.

Conceivably, Darth Michael, there could be 4 versions of this toy. The one that I (and probably JT) would consider the "legit" paint job is shown on Hasbro's site here:

http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/default.cfm?page=browse&product_id=17250

Use the "Click to Enlarge" link to see it in package.

The term "Double-Stripe" from now on will refer to the 2 Black stripes on the rear of the Vulture Droid that are painted thin and close together. These stripes usually cover some or ALL of the Blue Confederation markings on the rear of the Vulture Droid Titanium.

So, here are the 4 possible versions of this toy (and we've seen 3) :

1. NO Double-Stripes on the rear of the Vulture Droid, with the front of the Droid facing downward in the package. (confirmed by Darth Michael- I need 2 :p- This is most likely an ERROR version).

2. Double-Stripes on the rear of the RIGHT WING ONLY of the Vulture Droid, with the front of the Droid facing downward in the package. (shown by Hasbro and confirmed by Darth Michael and Warstar- this is most likely the CORRECT, NORMAL version since it's common and shown on Hasbro's site).

3. Double-Stripes on the BOTH of the wings to the rear of the Vulture Droid, with the front of the Droid facing downward in the package. (confirmed by Warstar- I need 1 to open still :p- This is most likely an ERROR version- found it in Wave 2 FOR SURE).

And the one we haven't seen-

4. Double-Stripes on the rear of the LEFT WING ONLY of the Vulture Droid, with the front of the Droid facing downward in the package. (This is the only other possible variation, and so far- unless it's reported here- no one has seen one of these).

There we go! :D

Definitely some weirdness going on- but at least it's happening with a relatively unpopular ship :p Imagine if Anakin's Green Jedi Starfighter or Obi-Wan's Blue one suddenly changed in production- no one would find them EVER! (Only seen them both on the pegs once as it is- and I consider myself lucky!)

JediTricks
03-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Star Wars collecting considers a variation to be an intentional consistant running change, whereas an error is an unintentional and inconsistant change (though when an error becomes consistant enough we treat it as a variation even when it's unintentional).

The "correct, intentional" version is the movie deco, it has 2 diagonal stripes across the back of the starboard (right) wingset. This is the same as the movie deco and the Hasbro 4" figure line's deluxe Vulture Droid figure (ok, technically they have a 3rd half-stripe at the very back, but let's not get picky :p).

Everything else so far is a masking error in my opinion, the ship is symmetrical and my guess is it can be inserted into the stripe mask upside-down leading the left-side stripes WS has. And of course, not painting it is an obvious error.

WS, why did you bother mentioning that they're packaged facing downward on every variation? Unless there's a CHANGE involved there, it's not worth mentioning even once. :D

Warstar
03-10-2006, 06:14 PM
It's the whole "left and right" thing and I was trying to simplify.

For example: Someone looks at the package and sees the variant the double-stripes on the LEFT wing of the ship BUT the this variation is technically on the RIGHT side of the package. I dunno- trying to provide a frame of reference I guess. :lipsrseal

So, you agree the one Hasbro shows on their site is the "right" one?

Me too :p

I like the errors on this ship though- especially when displaying multiples with all the same "camo" paint job wouldn't look as good. I like to mix it up a bit ;)

It's also the fact that these alternate paint jobs are GLARING errors, but apparently not enough to cancel the ship from being released or having it repainted.

I wonder what an official Hasbro source would say- and if they are or they have intentionally changed the paint jobs (leaving the 2 Double-Stripes off altogether would save them a few cents per ship in black paint- not to mention the time it takes get the ship in the mask and to spray them on, etc.)

We may never know :p

JediTricks
03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Minor QC issues are generally not a concern until they become a significant "problem".

LTBasker
03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Hasbro's qaulity control I believe is an empty room that the conveyor belt runs through, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten most of the figures from the AOTC line. ;)

Darth Michael
03-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm almost certain that I'd seen more "no stripe" Vultures. In fact, I seem to recall be somewhat puzzled when I encountered my first "normal" Vulture. I knew something about it was wrong, but as I stood in the store looking at it, I couldn't tell without comparing it to my "no stripe".

Of course, now that I know what to look for, I can't find any variants! (Still looking, though, Warstar.)

On the plus side, it appears that Titaniums are selling reasonably well here. Stock on the shelves has been pretty thoroughly consumed over the last two weeks. I've seen a surplus of raw Falcon 5 packs, though.

Warstar
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Figures they'd disappear after being recognized...

Of course, if you don't want YOUR variant without stripes I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :smoker:

I appreciate the looking, however :)

Keep in touch here :p