PDA

View Full Version : Mandalorian history in Star Wars Insider

Darth Cruel
03-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I received my most recent issue of the Star Wars Insider last week and found a story that I was very excited to read...at first. Here we have been given what I expect to be a definitive background of the Mandalorian race, and it turns out that they are just one big group of Boba Fetts.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like Boba Fett's Character. But it has been somewhat diminished in my eyes with the introduction of Jango Fett (not only is he too similar...one is a clone of the other). One of the things that made me like the Boba Fett character was that he was unique. There was nobody else like him.

Then they gave him a father who WAS intended to be exactly like him, and was, including the ease with which he was killed (I thought it was a slap in the face to Jango that he was killed like he was nothing more than a battle droid, just like Boba fett's defeat at the Pit of Carkoon was ridiculous).

And now they have added a whole collective group (not a true race) to this mix and so we find out that there are millions of Boba Fetts (and not even cloned ones, some are from other races who are accepted because they live by the Mandalorian Code) running around the galaxy. And this goes a great distance farther toward diminishing the unique quality of my second favorite character. So, now I see Boba Fett as just another armored troop. I can buy 100 of them, get slightly different paint jobs customized on them, and have a new army.

They have really taken a lot away from Boba Fett's character, and they better not do this to Chewbacca!

El Chuxter
03-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Truthfully, I flipped over the article, saw what it was about, and not even Karen Traviss' name could entice me to read it. Don't get me wrong when I say this, but Trek and Wars have always been different in that Star Wars fans don't learn alien languages and such. But this article looked like a huge step in the Trek direction.

(I thought the same about The Galactic Phrase Book, but it turned out to be a huge joke. And, hey, a huge essay by Ben Burtt and cartoons by Sergio Aragones!)