PDA

View Full Version : Finally playsets but at what cost

dindae
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I was looking the the starwars.com and ran accross the new diorama for the falcon. Then I read it was in scale with the 4.5" Vader that comes with the set. This thing is great. http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20060303.html. Unfortunately there is no price listed. The limited edition figures they are selling on starwars.com are $70-$90 so I would imagine at least $500 which is way out of my price range but definately something that I would love to have. The dagobah set looks sweet as well.:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
these collectibles do look amazing but I can only imagine what the price would be, most likely $$$$$. the figures though are really pewter figures with no articulation. Although if I had money to spare I would definately get the dagobah one.:thumbsup:

Slicker
03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
This diorama is rumored to be in the several thousand dollar range so this is definitely out of the question for the basic collector.

jedi master sal
03-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Here's a link on this very thing:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31322

I forget which site it was, but there was an overseas on-line retailer selling the diorama (not the figures...just the diorama piece) for $3,000.

EDIT: It was Toy Palace. I just found the page. It costs $2,951.67. To see for yourself, go to www.toy-palace.com and look under "Star Wars...statues and busts...Attakus Metal"

That's way to rich for this collectors blood...

dindae
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah that's kills it for me. $500 is about the most I could ever see spending on this hobby at one time for one thing. $3000 ain't gonna happen. I'll just have to learn to sculpt myself and make my own.

rich_of_the_dead
03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Here's a link on this very thing:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31322

That's way to rich for this collectors blood...

hey yeah what do they expect from us? right?

LTBasker
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm sure if you asked them about the price they would reply that it's for the "true collectors."

I'd be really surprised to see more than a handful of people with them.

Sith Lord 0498
03-09-2006, 10:41 PM
What I find amazing is that they've announced plans to create a diorama from each movie (possibly more), and I'm sure they'll sell out within a reasonable amount of time.

Anakin Palpatine
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey maybe if these sell out at the price point they are throwing out there, Hasbro might take a hint and make something a little better than what they have. I miss the old days when they made good vehicles and playsets like in the G.I. Joe line, i.e...The Terror Drome battle Platform and let us not forget the Aircraft Carrier. Now those were playsets! Even stuff like the vintage Deathsatr was fun and good for displaying figures. I still think they really missed out on the Shuttle. They really should have released it to a wider range. I leave it at that, otherwise I'm really going to get into a rant here.

pug205
03-10-2006, 06:30 AM
What would be great is if Hasbro could make plastic versions of their molds! That would make it a lot cheaper. This set comes in two sections (hanger and falcon) Hasbro could do the same to keep the price down.The detail wouldnt be as good but would fit in with the look of their figures. Make it an online exclusive or something and these would sell like like crazy.....

Ok thats enough dreaming for today, back to the real world

DarkArtist
03-10-2006, 10:32 AM
the biggest problem with playsets still remains, the price. Hasbro made a few sets the price was aqlright, problem no biters. In order for Hasbro to make a decent buck and still sell playsets they need to go online.

the other concept mentioned in the forums was interlocking playsets, sold in smaller sets but when combined form one big play enviroment. the problem with this is how small do you make them, what's the price point and when is enough enough?

If you take the Death Star for example, fans want a hanger to play out the escape from the death star both ANH and ROTJ, the throne room ROTJ, the cell block and garbage chute, chasm swing, hanger duel, conference room, and other enviroments perhaps not seen on film. Now while all of these would sell, next comes the question of figures. Do we include a scene specific figure with each set, do we repaint an older figure, do we just sell the playset as is? As we all know most of us complain when Hasbro uses a rehash figure to include in a exclusive or playset. look at the jedi starfighters, both versions were wanted the figures were repacks of the worst versions of anakin and obi wan.

To defend Hasbro for a moment, perhaps someone is reading this posts and saying to themselves, wait a minute, we make the stuff they want, they bash us for it, screw them. Also again, their a business out to make a buck not worry about oversaturated product and making every fan happy. As they said it themselves with the action features, they are targeted for the younger audiences, not collectors.

I myself would love to see them even re-release some of the vintage Kenner sets with some mild tweaking. Some sets like Dagobah and the Death Star were great, even the cardboard sets had merit. However I think that the chances of seeing playsets offered by Hasbro is slim at best. My advice, start making your own, this way you have exactly what you want, there can be no complaining that Hasbro dropped the ball, and perhaps everyone is happy.