PDA

View Full Version : Qui-go Jinn Next In Line!!!!!

rich_of_the_dead
03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=031006qui-gon&source=030906news

WOOOHOOO!
:love: :love:

Darth Cruel
03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Cool! Looking forward to him! Oh! And this opens up more possibilities for the SDCC exclusive. How abaout a Gui-Gon with a hole through his chest.

Sith Lord 0498
03-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I'll have to admit...I'm disappointed. Not because Qui-Gon looks bad or because I don't want one. I'm disappointed because we've gotten enough Jedi figures for this year already. I was truly hoping for a Sith Lord (preferably Maul or Sidious) or another Hero of the Rebellion (Bespin Leia, anyone??)

Still, this is a logical next step for the series...although they should let the Jedi series rest awhile now.

As for the exclusive...I'm betting Tatooine poncho, but that could be an included standard accessory. Other accessories could include interchangeable hands, sabers, aquabreather, holoprojector, communicator, food capsules, chance cube.

Anakin Palpatine
03-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I wish he had been in all 3 prequels. He was so perfect as a jedi. He will be a most for my collection.

JediTricks
03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Seems like they're releasing all the major players so early. I'm unsure whether I'm gonna preorder this at this point, the first one where I've been unsure whether I will OR won't.

2-1B
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
That Qui-Gon is awesome, every home should have one.

Turbowars
03-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Damn, I wanted Maul so bad! I'm getting board of these Jedi and I haven't even got the 1st one yet.

So what will the exclusive item be? Anyone, anyone? Buahler, Buahler?

2-1B
03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Maybe his desert poncho ? :confused:

(by the way, desert ponchos are awesome, every home should have one)

decadentdave
03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
That preview photo looks absolutely terrible! Couldn't they at least have shown him standing before the Jedi Council or something? Showing the figure walking next to Jar Jar is not a strong selling point. Whoever in marketing came up with that idea should be summarily dragged out in chains and repeatedly kicked in the scrotum sack! :whip:

Turbowars
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I agree with that. SSC doesn't put much $ or effort into their photography. In fact the Photos that help sell their products are terrible! Doesn't seem to stop people from buying though.:yes:

Sith Lord 0498
03-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Seems like they're releasing all the major players so early. I'm unsure whether I'm gonna preorder this at this point, the first one where I've been unsure whether I will OR won't.

I'd say...pre-order it now and you'll undoubtedly have 5+ months to change your mind. It'll be easier to reserve and then decide you don't want it than pass for now, change your mind, and then be S.O.L. because it's long gone.

JEDIpartner
03-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Russell Crowe as Qui-Gon Jinn, apparently.

Darth Cruel
03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
The only other thing I can think of as an exclusive accessory would be a chrome plated cup. I am going with the poncho.

Although...another slice of battle droid isn't out of the question either.

Blasty Trooper
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
The power source he hands Ani could be the exclusive. Or the midiclorian tester? I'd like the poncho to be available to both versions.

The chance cube was Watto's and Qui-Gon didn't touch it (except with the force). It would make more sense to save that for Watto down the line. At this rate, it'll be 2015.

Blue2th
03-10-2006, 02:05 PM
How about JarJar Binks' detached tongue with a Tatooine fruit. Yanked right out his mouth. :laugh:

JediTricks
03-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I'd say...pre-order it now and you'll undoubtedly have 5+ months to change your mind. It'll be easier to reserve and then decide you don't want it than pass for now, change your mind, and then be S.O.L. because it's long gone.
I suppose so, and unless the line tanks which is super unlikely, it'd be good trade bait if nothing else. I'm just in so deep this year with expensive stuff and haven't thought much about QGJ in 7 years.

The poncho would make a good exclusive accessory, the regular figure will already have a robe after all. I wonder if they're gonna make it possible to put his breather in his mouth, I doubt it but it'd be cool since he actually used it.

jedibear
03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
The picture is...a valiant try at something different I guess. I realize it's just a preview shot but...when fan photographers can make the products look better than the company one does (just take a gander at the ToyFair shots of the other figures featured on this site and other places)...it might be time to get a new graphics/photo person who can showcase how fine your figures look there, SideShow...
Funny...from the comments Tom at Sideshow about the chances of Jar Jar becoming an entry in this collection next to nil, the Gungun has appeared twice in publicity materails from SS...once in the descriptive text for "Heroes of the Rebellion" and now here in a photo pushing another character...what gives, there SS? No big deal...just odd that's all. C'mon, SideShow admit it...there's a closet Gungun lover working there right? It's okay...you're not alone...

The molded hair is throwing me a bit (but I guess that's more from glancing at the Hasbro PE version that's currently residing on my shelf more than anything). Also, the photo is making him look like he's got no neck!. Man, I hope they are using a better(bigger/taller) body for him. Hasbro's PE one actually wasn't bad...it actually looks great posed with Obi-Wan and little Annie from the Hasbro collection. I'm looking forward to more (& better) photos of this SideShow entry to showcase this character. And I hope this means that either an Episode One version of Obi-Wan or a Darth Maul is on the way from SideShow soon...

My vote on the exclusive accessory falls in line with alot of others...the Tatooine Poncho.

Qui-Gon Jinn is one of my favorite characters in the entire saga...please knock this one out of the park SideShow!

AmanaMatt
03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
After this one, no more prequel Jedi for a while....

Reefer Shark
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Man, I hope this isn't the final face sculpt. Mabye it's just the hair, but that looks awful to me...

As for the exclusive: I'd say the poncho, or mabye his holoprojector with the Royal Starship hologram.

jedi master sal
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I am SO glad I haven't ordered any of these figs. Not only do I think they aren't worth it, but EVERY single head sculpt has been crap. IMO. This Qui-gon is NO different.

Heck at least with Hasbro I only had to pay $20 (or less) for a not so good head sculpt. Again, for $50 the head should be SPOT ON. The costumes have been done before, while improvements can be mad, there's not much room for improvement. And they are using the SAME body are they not? Okay so it might have beter articulation, but from what I've been reading for the past few months, most colelctors aren't even going to break them out of the box. Most stating that because it's a $50 figure!

Ludicrious IMO. Again, I'm glad I didn't get any of these. Man, no offense to those of you who have ordered them, but you are going to get NAILED when these start being billed for.

I foresee alot of the figs coming back up for sale because people don't plan for this accordingly and can't pay for them when billed...

Sith Lord 0498
03-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I am SO glad I haven't ordered any of these figs. Not only do I think they aren't worth it, but EVERY single head sculpt has been crap. IMO. This Qui-gon is NO different.

Heck at least with Hasbro I only had to pay $20 (or less) for a not so good head sculpt. Again, for $50 the head should be SPOT ON. The costumes have been done before, while improvements can be mad, there's not much room for improvement. And they are using the SAME body are they not? Okay so it might have beter articulation, but from what I've been reading for the past few months, most colelctors aren't even going to break them out of the box. Most stating that because it's a $50 figure!

Ludicrious IMO. Again, I'm glad I didn't get any of these. Man, no offense to those of you who have ordered them, but you are going to get NAILED when these start being billed for.

I foresee alot of the figs coming back up for sale because people don't plan for this accordingly and can't pay for them when billed...

As far as I'm concerned, I want head sculpts that are very close to the actors being portrayed, but I'm willing to give some leeway on this. If I can look at the figure and say "Yep, that's so-and-so all right..." then it's good enough. For example, the Obi-Wan isn't a dead-on likeness of Ewan McGregor, but when I look at the pics I can clearly see Obi-Wan Kenobi staring back at me. For me, that's good enough.

As far as the billing, yeah I'm sure the Sith's gonna hit the fan ;) Fortunately, they're supposed to be spaced out one per month. The exception is Kit and Han...both are slated for June. Personally, that doesn't matter since I passed on Kit...not a major enough character for me.

Still, the only way I'm going to be able to pull it off is if I start setting aside $10-15 per week right now (I applied the money for Luke to my card already) and severely restrict the other Star Wars collectibles I buy. Until I start getting more hours at work again, it looks as though I'm collecting Sideshow and the Titanium Series and that's about it.

The collector's I really feel for are the ones who are also buying Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, Hasbro, etc. They're really gonna get nailed in the wallet!!

jedi master sal
03-11-2006, 09:01 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I want head sculpts that are very close to the actors being portrayed, but I'm willing to give some leeway on this. If I can look at the figure and say "Yep, that's so-and-so all right..." then it's good enough. For example, the Obi-Wan isn't a dead-on likeness of Ewan McGregor, but when I look at the pics I can clearly see Obi-Wan Kenobi staring back at me. For me, that's good enough.

This is not to argue with you Jeff as I agree with you on this.

But this is what I'm saying with regards to Hasbro's 12 inch line. Those figures looked "good enough." And for at least $30 less.

Again if it's the added articulation, I don't get it. Hasbro's line had great articulation (except the women and until Sideshow does one of them better I'm still going to side with Hasbro). If it's the costumes again applying the analogy of "good enough" well Hasbro did good enough there too. There isn't one 12inch Hasbro figure that I picked up that I can't name because it doesn't look enough like the character.

You're right Jeff, Obi is maybe the one exception though, and while I'm by no means a completist, when a NEW line starts, I try to be. Sure I could have got these figs, but not all of the exclusives, so that killed it fro me too.

I just think that if people are being asked to pay 2 1/2 times the amount that we've done in the past that the figures should be perfect and not good enough.

That's it, I've said my piece (until the next gawd awful figure's head sculpt comes around...) I do think there are going to be plenty of disappointed people out there when they get these. Maybe not the majority, but a good slice.

-Sal

Turbowars
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
As for the exclusive: I'd say the poncho, or mabye his holoprojector with the Royal Starship hologram.Yes! The Holoprojector with Starship is perfect!!!!! The poncho should be part of the regular release.

Turbowars
03-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I am SO glad I haven't ordered any of these figs. Not only do I think they aren't worth it, but EVERY single head sculpt has been crap. IMO. This Qui-gon is NO different. I totally disagree. So far they all are hell of a lot better than Hasbro ever did. Hasbro had their outstanding figures, but they always fell short in paint apps. Aliens are another thing Hasbro did a pretty good job, but SSC will blow them away.

Heck at least with Hasbro I only had to pay $20 (or less) for a not so good head sculpt. Again, for $50 the head should be SPOT ON. The costumes have been done before, while improvements can be mad, there's not much room for improvement. And they are using the SAME body are they not? Okay so it might have beter articulation, but from what I've been reading for the past few months, most colelctors aren't even going to break them out of the box. Most stating that because it's a $50 figure! There's tons of room for improvement on the costumes. Hasbro's never laid right and now the clothing has inner wire and correct use of fabric. SSC also is layering the fabric the right way as well. So, SSC has improved the head sculpts, paint apps, fabrics, accessories and articulation. Another thing that looks like has been improved are the boots. Habros always looks too big. Oh and I will be opening them all!

Ludicrious IMO. Again, I'm glad I didn't get any of these. Man, no offense to those of you who have ordered them, but you are going to get NAILED when these start being billed for. No offense taken here. I'm happy you are happy that you didn't bother ordering them. In doing so you gave the chance to someone that did want them. I don't think I will be getting nailed. I pre ordered them with a CC, but SSC is letting people change their payment method and I just sent in a money order yesterday. No interest baby!!:pleased: no chance of my order being canceled.

I foresee alot of the figs coming back up for sale because people don't plan for this accordingly and can't pay for them when billed... Agreed!

Reefer Shark
03-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey Sal,
Turbo is right. I'm not totaly happy with some of the headsculpts so far (especially Qui-Gon), but in general, Sideshows quality is miles ahead of anything Hasbro has ever done. I have almost all of Hasbro's SW stuff, and these figures are lame ducks when compared to the few sideshow figures I own (Highlander, Army of Darkness, Platoon, etc...).

Everything is better on the sideshow product:

* The clothes fit correctly (unlike Hasbro), and the cloth is of much higher quality

* Accessories are way more accurate (in size and detail). Sideshow uses real leather straps, etc... versus Hasbros molded plastic with weak paint apps.

* The Sideshow bodies really are way better than Hasbro's. Not only is the articulation count higher, but the actual proportions are much more accurate. It just looks more like a human body. Hasbro's looks like some deformed bobble-head when compared. Plus, sideshow usually includes extra hands, wich really healps out when you display them.

* The face sculpts... while still not perfect (like you said), they really are much better than Hasbro's stuff. The paint apps on the face are much beter too. You really notice this when you compare them side by side.

* There are other details, like the fact that each Jedi has his robe (unlike Hasbro's stuff.. we were lucky if we got a robe with our figures..), a lit and unlit saber (with correctly sized and detailed handles) All the little extras (aqua breathers, stands for the figures, etc...).

I would say, that for these reasons, Sideshow stuff is worth paying the higher price tag than Hasbro's crap. Like I have said in another thread, if GG did Sideshows headsculpts, they would be the perfect figures.. it's too bad that's not the case.

Turbowars
03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey Sal are you just mad that you didn't get the 1st figure?:laugh: Kidding, really I am. There's going to be people that like the stuff and others that don't. I like lots of SW stuff like MR and Koto, but I can't afford it. Some stuff is cooler than others. So I have made SSC, GG and sometimes Hasbro my main collecting venues.

For the record I have every 12" figure, box set and what not that Hasbro ever made and SSC is blow it all out of the water. I can't wait for SSC to make a correct Hoth Luke and Han for Hasbros Tauntaun!

Come on you really think these looks bad?

Tycho
03-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Qui-Gon was a predictable choice for the last "order of the Jedi figure" since he's a main character. I didn't buy him because I'm not a completist collector. I've bought 4 out of 7 of Sideshow's offerings though (did not want Luke, Mace, or Qui-Gon)

Kit Fisto (who I did get) was more of a surprise. As was there not being any women Jedi. I thought surely Aayla Secura - she'd be my first choice for a lady Jedi.

As far as the future offerings from Sideshow go: there are specific figures I want made, but a majority of choices I won't bother with. So far they have satisfied me with most of their offerings and I've bought.

Darth Cruel
03-11-2006, 03:40 PM
You all might get tired of reading this opinion of mine, but I for one, do not need a perfect likeness of the actor. The actor is not the character, just the actor. If the character is represented well, that is the critical point. And Sideshow has hit every one of these figures out of the park for that, partially, but also for the quality and accuracy of the costumes and accessories. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever paying 65.00 for these if I can pay 25.00 for one of the Hasbro creations. And think about this, there will be no actor to compare some of the EU characters to. Some of those will be dependant on comic book drawings. When they translate that to a live action-type sculpt for the head, there will be NOTHING to compare it to (except in Mara Jade's case, I hope they sculpt her as close as possible to the hot red-head who was semi-officially representing her).

I now look at the Hasbro 12" figures like I did the Kenner 12" figures from the 70's, old and outdated with extremely inferior craftmanship.

But in Hasbro's defense, they were making toys. What Sideshow is doing is more like articulated sculptures. These 12" figures are only one step further down the line from the premium format sculptures which rely on real material costumes and accessories to add detail to the sculpture.

And after reading up on the process that goes into molding the sculpted heads. I have come to realize that it is unreasonable to expect a perfect likeness on the head sculpts. If it happens, great, but it will be luck more than anything else. You would have to sculpt each one individually and by hand to do it. There is always a little detail lost because after the original sculpt, they make a mold from it, then make two master prototypes from the mold to send to China, one painted to show the intended paint job and one for the factory to make their own mold from for the production pieces (I read all of this on Sideshow's website). So you actually have the molding process twice and you lose a little detail each time, and there is no technology to prevent it.

I think back to my Hasbro Mace Windu with his deformed head (both versions) and my clones that could not hold there weapons correctly (even the one with the artculated fingures, they were not strong enough to hold the long blaster rifle), and the way oversized lightsabers, and the partial costumes, and the one boot fits both feet, and the jump suit they gave ceremonial Luke Skywalker, and the hollow, oversized helmets they gave to the X-Wing Pilots (man! think about Sideshow releasing an X-Wing Pilot, it is gonna cost but will be so well worth the money) and the poorly sculpted blasters for Han and the X-Wing Pilots...

Nope...Sideshow wins my 3-and-a-half times the price without hesitation or regret.

Tycho
03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Dude: ROTS Obi-Wan from SideShow is dead-on! Anakin's not half-bad either.

While my first reason for buying some of them was not for dead-on sculpts, they certainly help:

1) Obi-Wan ROTS - I bought because Hasbro didn't make him - but it turned out looking incredible thus far (from pictures I've seen).

2) Anakin -ROTS - I wasn't going to buy, but when I saw the Obi-Wan I was getting, I didn't want to display that SideShow masterpiece fighting my Hasbro "whatever" (substitute a kinder word for piece of crap here. It's bad, but not THAT bad).

3) Kit Fisto - I bought because Hasbro didn't make him and I want something to represent a 12" Jedi Council (of around 12 characters) from one movie or another. Looks like it will be ROTS with Hasbro's Ki-Adi Mundi, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Shaak-Ti. Now I need SideShow to do Stass Allie, Pablo Jill, Agen Kolar, and SaeSee Tiin and probably Even Piel, but Oppo Rancisis would be interesting if done cool.

4) Han Solo Bespin - I bought because Hasbro's sucked eggs. This is not perfect, but a tremendous improvement and I can do "another scene" with Han Bespin in it.

Darth Cruel
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
And if you think about it, Luke is a pretty close likeness as well. Most of the complaints I hear are about the facial expression, not the likeness.

Turbowars
03-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Very good point Darth Cruel.

Sal just get on the wait lists and you will be happy with the rest of us fools.:razz:

jedi master sal
03-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey Sal are you just mad that you didn't get the 1st figure?:laugh: Kidding, really I am. There's going to be people that like the stuff and others that don't. I like lots of SW stuff like MR and Koto, but I can't afford it. Some stuff is cooler than others. So I have made SSC, GG and sometimes Hasbro my main collecting venues.

For the record I have every 12" figure, box set and what not that Hasbro ever made and SSC is blow it all out of the water. I can't wait for SSC to make a correct Hoth Luke and Han for Hasbros Tauntaun!

Come on you really think these looks bad?

No I'm not mad at not getting the first fig. I never tried for it in the first place. Price was the biggest issue then. Still is with the face sculpt thing a close second now.
I completely agree that we all have our tastes in what we collect. Heck I get bashed for liking the Unleashed Battle Packs...
That's cool that you have all of Hasbro's 12inch collection. I have about 95% myself. Perhaps down the road I MAY get Sideshow's stuff. Depending on price and I have to see it in person first. But if I never get them, I'll be just fine. Had the Kit Fisto been the AOTC version and not the ROTS version, I may have broken down then. I just can't stand the pale skinned, bloodshot rimmed eyes of the ROTS version. Didn't like it in the movei and will never like it as a toy. Though I almost begrudgingly bought the Hasbro ROTS fig.

Do I think those look bad? No. Not for $20-30. For $50? Well, since they are all Jedi (except Han) up til this point, I'm just a bit bored of the bron robes. They all look way to similar so just teh head sculpt differentiates them for me at first glance. Because I don't like the face sculpts at all well ultimately I have to say YES. I do think they look bad. (Again for a 2 1/2 times teh amount product.)

Sal just get on the wait lists and you will be happy with the rest of us fools.:razz:

Not likely.

And who's the fool? The fool or the one that follows him??

Hmm that sounds familiar...heh heh

Darth Cruel
03-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I can't wait for an EU character to come out that EVERYONE raves about so I can say "Good thing there was no actor to compare the head sculpt to".:D

Turbowars
03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Do I think those look bad? No. Not for $20-30. For $50? Well, since they are all Jedi (except Han) up til this point, I'm just a bit bored of the bron robes. They all look way to similar so just teh head sculpt differentiates them for me at first glance. Because I don't like the face sculpts at all well ultimately I have to say YES. I do think they look bad. (Again for a 2 1/2 times teh amount product.)

Have you been hitting the crack pipe lately?

Darth Cruel
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
I guess this all just goes toward proving the old addage that you can't please everybody. But these ARE the Figures I have been hoping for all along. I don't think they are likely to get better than this for a long time. Not until new technology comes along that allows a laser scan to be sculpted by a computer controlled sculpting machine. And then it will have to be fast to get 5500-8000 of them through production in a timely manner.

Tycho
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I won't be collecting them even if they do improve them several years further. I'm looking for specific characters to be made (barely any improvements) and I'm on my way out of this - happy to keep what I have - but not willing to start all over again just because they make "real" holograms or 12" metal figures or whatever they'll come up with next.

I'm interested in 3 3/4" EU blowing up - that includes whatever might come out of the live-action TV series. But I weaning myself off this stuff.

Turbowars
03-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I won't be collecting them even if they do improve them several years further. I'm looking for specific characters to be made (barely any improvements) and I'm on my way out of this - happy to keep what I have - but not willing to start all over again just because they make "real" holograms or 12" metal figures or whatever they'll come up with next.

I'm interested in 3 3/4" EU blowing up - that includes whatever might come out of the live-action TV series. But I weaning myself off this stuff.I weaning myself off of Hasbro. I look at what I have and it just looks like kid stuff now. GG SSC and what not is the direction I going towards. Sure I will most likley keep buying OT and Clones, but I have had it with Hasbro.

Reefer Shark
03-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I guess this all just goes toward proving the old addage that you can't please everybody. But these ARE the Figures I have been hoping for all along. I don't think they are likely to get better than this for a long time. Not until new technology comes along that allows a laser scan to be sculpted by a computer controlled sculpting machine. And then it will have to be fast to get 5500-8000 of them through production in a timely manner.

He DC,
That technology exists. Gentle Giant uses it (and I think trademarked it as "real scan"). Other companies pay GG for use of this (Jakks WWE figures for the most part). But it definitely exists, and the end result is fantastic.. Nothing else even compares as far as likeness goes.

I weaning myself off of Hasbro. I look at what I have and it just looks like kid stuff now. GG SSC and what not is the direction I going towards. Sure I will most likley keep buying OT and Clones, but I have had it with Hasbro.

Yeah, I'm with you.... There are certain characters that I will still buy (troops, astromech's, ships/pilots, etc..), but it's really easy for me to pass on most of the stuff that Hasbro spits out.

2-1B
03-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't think the likenesses on these Sideshow toys is that great, either. I'm with Sal - they may be an improvement over Hasbro but not worth the extra cash.

Turbowars
03-12-2006, 08:04 PM
You SSC haters out there, do you think this one is worth $20?

Darth Cruel
03-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Geez, Turb! Where'd you find that turd?

Turbowars
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Geez, Turb! Where'd you find that turd?What do you mean Turd? It's Hasbros $20 awesome version. SSC couldn't improve it too much.

LOL no I just saw it on DeathStarPlan2.com.

Man it's bad!

Tycho
03-12-2006, 08:23 PM
LOL: Hasbro's AOTC Padme was pretty bad. How about their ANH Ceremony Luke? Haha!

JediTricks
03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
LOL: Hasbro's AOTC Padme was pretty bad. How about their ANH Ceremony Luke? Haha!
What's wrong with a little man-makeup? :p Man does that figure look bad. And do we really have to mention Hasbro's ROTS Anakin headsculpt again?

Darth Cruel
03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
In retrospect, the Hasbro 12" kinda suck by comparison to the SS ones. But I do remember how excited I was in the beginning because they were so much better than the Kenner ones from the 70's.

JediTricks
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
And I remember how great finally riding my tricycle was after having just the wagon when I was a wee lad. Hasbro is to SSC as the tricycle is to the bicycle. :D

Tycho
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I liked Han and Chewie from Kenner back in the 70's actually.

Some like Boba Fett (a non-human helmet for a face I know), looked quite alright. Hasbro took those characters down hill later when modern technology never should have allowed it.

Darth Cruel
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
And I remember how great finally riding my tricycle was after having just the wagon when I was a wee lad. Hasbro is to SSC as the tricycle is to the bicycle. :D

LOL - True dat!

2-1B
03-12-2006, 09:04 PM

Nope, not at all, that's hideous. :D

But when Sideshow does theirs, I'd be surprised if it's worth $50. :crazed:

Turbowars
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Nope, not at all, that's hideous. :D

But when Sideshow does theirs, I'd be surprised if it's worth $50. :crazed:Alright you are just to far gone to be converted.:yes:

Darth Cruel
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Let's take this one step farther. I seem to remember a lot of customized 12" figures that were done using the Hasbro heads that were excellent likenesses. That made me draw the conclusion (although I had forgotten this for a long time) that it was not the sculpts so much as the paint apps. And considering the paint app changes that have been made to the Luke Skywalker head and how one was a much better likeness than the other, I would have to say that we may be pointing the finger at the wrong culprit when we do disparage the likenesses. It seems to me that the problem exists more with the paint app than the sculpt.

Oh, and the exclusive accessory poncho that will come with Qui-Gon is no surprise, but very nice just the same.

Turbowars
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
I believe I pointed out that the paint app on Hasbro's figures were one of the problems. Bodies and Clothing were sub par as well. I do remember when the Saga Obi was posted on the net it looked very nice, but when he hit the shelves, it was a different story. The sculpt was there, but the paint looked, well like crap.:sad:

Turbowars
03-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Here's the Poncho. Looks good. I don't know why, but I hate the word poncho being used it SW. It just doesn't fit. We should call it a Galactic Over Throw. Yeah that's it. That's what I'll call it.:thumbsup:

Why does SSC love to hide the whole figure from us? It's getting kind of old. It's not cute and either way it's going to sell in 5 minutes. I guess they want more hits on their site.

Darth Cruel
03-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Close enough likeness for me!

Jaina Solo
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think they're hiding the whole figure from us so much as showing a closeup of the exclusive. Though it would be nice to see the rest of the pictures you know they have, too... full figure shots, closeups of the head sculpt, closeups of the other accessories...

decadentdave
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Fastest pre-order ever! Checkout and confirmed my order by 10:02!!! Holy smokes!!!

K M Toydarian
03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Took many "refreshes" on a couple of windows open, but relatively easily ordered Exclusive version by 10:06.
This stuff is so nerve racking! Will I really have to do this for EVERY figure, once a month or so for as long as Sideshow has the license? Oh well who am I kidding, I love it!
Now to to actually go back and look at the figure I just bought.

Jaina Solo
03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I got mine that fast, too. I'm impressed! This is my first SW exclusive figure, too, so I'm pretty excited.

jedibear
03-17-2006, 12:13 PM
this was the quickest yet...I hope that's because SS has got better servers et al...not that the venerable jedi isn't a big draw...
Now let's see some more pics SS!

BlueSnags
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Got mine ordered by 10:08. Anyone else a member of the 7 for 7 club (all 7 exclusives on order/pre-order)?

The figure looks good to me. I remember Hasbro making two different 12" Qui-Gon figures back in the day (one with Jedi Robe, one with Poncho), so this is a pretty good deal to have both important outfits in one figure. Good job again, SIDESHOW!!!!

K M Toydarian
03-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey everyone, Happy St. Patty's Day!
Does anyone know what accessory is shown with Qui Gon's holoprojector? It's not the aquabreather.

BlueSnags
03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Only 70 left as of 10:27AM Pacific time...

10:29 - 20 left...

10:30 - 7 left...

10:31 - GONE.

Darth Cruel
03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I have been getting in more and more slowly each pre-order. It took 25 minutes this time. I am only 6 for 7. But I will be working to make sure I don't miss another.

Blasty Trooper
03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
It's sold out!!! Took around 30 minutes. I got mine by 10:02 over the phone.

Darth Cruel
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
At 2000 pieces, this is the largest Exclusive Edition. And at about 33 minutes also the fastest to sell out. Now THAT is impressive...and scary. My brother called me at 10:34 and told me that he was informed over the phone that he ordered the last one.

jedibear
03-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone, Happy St. Patty's Day!
Does anyone know what accessory is shown with Qui Gon's holoprojector? It's not the aquabreather.

It's a rapel-line launcher. He used it in the deleted scene "The Waterfall Sequence" to escape from the Bongo before it plunged over the falls.

Sith Lord 0498
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM
At 2000 pieces, this is the largest Exclusive Edition. And at about 33 minutes also the fastest to sell out. Now THAT is impressive...and scary. My brother called me at 10:34 and told me that he was informed over the phone that he ordered the last one.

Talk about luck of the Irish there!!! :)

This one was a pain to order. Two windows open on the computer with many refreshes, my land-based phone, and my cell phone...and it still took until 1:23 to get through. Mace was very easy over the phone...this time I kept getting busy circuits or cut off.

Darth Cruel
03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
It's a rapel-line launcher. He used it in the deleted scene "The Waterfall Sequence" to escape from the Bongo before it plunged over the falls.

I remembered that from the visual dictionary, but wanted to confirm it before I posted it.

Talk about luck of the Irish there!!!

You got that right!

Edit - I better go get my regular (regulars if they are allowing 2) ordered before THEY sell out as well.

JediTricks
03-17-2006, 12:59 PM
It took me 11 minutes to get the preorder in. Every time, it takes me a little longer and they sell out a little faster, not a trend I like to see.

It's a rapel-line launcher. He used it in the deleted scene "The Waterfall Sequence" to escape from the Bongo before it plunged over the falls.Right, it's a hook connected to a gas launcher, inside the launcher is a compressed liquid that turns into a high tensile strength line when it hits the air (so sayeth the reference material from the TPM era).

Let's take this one step farther. I seem to remember a lot of customized 12" figures that were done using the Hasbro heads that were excellent likenesses. That made me draw the conclusion (although I had forgotten this for a long time) that it was not the sculpts so much as the paint apps. And considering the paint app changes that have been made to the Luke Skywalker head and how one was a much better likeness than the other, I would have to say that we may be pointing the finger at the wrong culprit when we do disparage the likenesses. It seems to me that the problem exists more with the paint app than the sculpt.Paint apps were indeed one of the problems, but a lot of those customs using the Hasbro heads were polishing a turd, using superior paint skills to hide low sculpting quality. And another issue, no amount of paint can salvage heads that were WAY too big, which nearly all the humans were because Hasbro likes to taper their figures from bottom to top for some reason (it's a GI Joe thing, I guess).

Darth Cruel
03-17-2006, 01:07 PM
JT - Yeah, the size issue was not correctable. I will just sit back and thank my lucky stars that Sideshow runs the 12" show now.

Jaina Solo
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey, bluesnaggletooth1, just out of curiosity, how did you know how many were left before they sold out?

BlueSnags
03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey, bluesnaggletooth1, just out of curiosity, how did you know how many were left before they sold out?

On the ordering page, they put up a little thermometer-looking thing that says "Low Numbers" with a gauge at whatever number's left. I was refreshing every couple minutes and reporting the change.

mrcrowlley
03-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Paint apps were indeed one of the problems, but a lot of those customs using the Hasbro heads were polishing a turd, using superior paint skills to hide low sculpting quality. And another issue, no amount of paint can salvage heads that were WAY too big, which nearly all the humans were because Hasbro likes to taper their figures from bottom to top for some reason (it's a GI Joe thing, I guess).

The Sideshow sculpts seem to be pretty good. I am looking forward to seeing some customs on these as I am sure the paint on the production pieces is going to be blah.

Darth Cruel
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Got my notice for Qui-Gon now as well. 4 of these incredible figures in about 5 weeks! To say I am stoked is an understatement of near epic proportions! When I said we should enjoy getting three so close together...i had no idea we would be blessed with a fourth so soon. The euphoria is even more intense now!

El Chuxter
08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Got mine, too. Jeez, this hurts the old wallet.

BlueSnags
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I got my notice too. All four of them will be here in a few weeks! Good times.

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
This is 5 notices in a month if you count SDCC Anakin as Vader. AniVader's notice was 7-18, Han was 8-2, Obi-Wan & Mace 8-9, and now Qui-Gon today.

I'm concerned I may have to cancel Qui-Gon, money's still tight and I'm barely holding on for Obi-Wan as it is, and QGJ isn't half the significance to me as that. I'll probably find a way, but dang this is really making it difficult to keep up.

Turbowars
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
This is BS. I thought it was bad enough that there were 2. Then there were 3 I started to panic and now 4 I'm F@%!ed! Someone help me until next month! I'll just have to cancel. :cry:

Darth Cruel
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
This is BS. I thought it was bad enough that there were 2. Then there were 3 I started to panic and now 4 I'm F@%!ed! Someone help me until next month! I'll just have to cancel. :cry:

Sideshow will work with you A LITTLE. It would be in the best interest of anyone who may need a little time to call them and set up whatever can be arranged. I called them today because I am a little short until Friday. And the rep told me that they do not expect to charge for Han until Friday. But that is not engraved in stone.

Turbowars
08-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I just wish they were a little more consistent. If they get one or two figures in at the same time in 1 month I can deal with that. If they get more, they should spread it out a bit. I guess the only real problem will be Mace. If I miss him I wont die, I don't think he looks good anyways and I pretty much hated him in the SW flims. I do want Obi. He's a must.

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Sideshow will work with you A LITTLE. It would be in the best interest of anyone who may need a little time to call them and set up whatever can be arranged. I called them today because I am a little short until Friday. And the rep told me that they do not expect to charge for Han until Friday. But that is not engraved in stone.I got the 3-5 day notice for Han's processing on Monday, so it could be as early as Thursday.

For me, part of my issue is that I don't have a regular income, my boss is terrible with paychecks and unfortunately I am my own boss. :p So it'd be difficult to make arrangements not knowing what to expect next. Have you ever actually worked with them on this? What's the lowdown on that?

I just wish they were a little more consistent. If they get one or two figures in at the same time in 1 month I can deal with that. If they get more, they should spread it out a bit. I guess the only real problem will be Mace. If I miss him I wont die, I don't think he looks good anyways and I pretty much hated him in the SW flims. I do want Obi. He's a must.Yeah, at this price it's coming too fast and without any feeling of balance, as I said in the news article, the order dates between Han and Mace were 10 days apart so it's not THAT surprising they're shipping close together, but the order dates between Han and Qui-Gon were over a month apart but they're shipping only a couple weeks apart, it's too uneven. It's not good when their customers have to choose between the items they preordered.