PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Hayes quits South Park over Scientology

Lord Malakite
03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Probably more appropriate for Rancor, but since it deals with TV I'll put it here. Isaac Hayes (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_mu/people_isaac_hayes;_ylt=Aox3ZO6L7Qin4QQrSlk1ENdxFb 8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--) quits South Park over his religious beliefs.

El Chuxter
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear that. Chef was a great character, and he'll be missed. A kick in the nads to Isaac Hayes for becoming holier-than-thou only when Scientology is dissed on. Trey pretty much nailed it when he said Hayes had no problem with the show making fun of other religions.

James Boba Fettfield
03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I put Chux's URL into Malakite's entry because it was throwing off the format for me with that long link.

And I am god in this forum, so I'll do what I want. :yes:

Anyway, isn't that Scientology episode their repeat for this week? If anyone missed it, do give it a watch because the depiction of scientology beliefs is funny stuff.

JediTricks
03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Chef has barely been on the show the last 4 or 5 seasons, and his role in most of those was severely diminished anyway, so it's not a major loss in my opinion.

Matt is dead right though, Hayes voiced no complaints over the recent episode negatively focused on Mormons, and the series has taken shots at Christians and Jews many many times, so it comes off a little phoney to claim this is somehow different.

JimJamBonds
03-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Meh! I thought the show got old in its first season.

Turbowars
03-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Old? We aren't talking about the Simpsons.:yes: SP these days is hit and miss. I like most of the episodes, but some are pretty lame.

It's too bad about Hayes. Funny how people hide behind their religion.:cross-eye

2-1B
03-14-2006, 12:38 AM
He just quit now ? :confused:

I quit this show years ago. lol

El Chuxter
03-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I quit it around the time they went to fourth grade (specifically, the totally unfunny episode where Garrison discovers he's gay in an unfunny Yoda parody), but have gotten back into it recently. It dropped off dramatically a few years ago, but it's picked up with a vengeance.

JEDIpartner
03-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I haven't even noticed his presence in the last couple seasons.

JediTricks
03-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Isaac Hayes did a cameo on last night's That '70s Show, singing a parody of "Shaft", and I didn't realize how old he's gotten, he's got a quaver in his voice. I suppose being old might be part of what's going on with all this.

2-1B
03-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I saw him on Late Night last week (?) singing a "Conan" version of "Shaft" and he didn't sound like he was in top form.

LusiferSam
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd agree about Chef not playing much of a part for the last few years. In the early show Chef had a huge role and was a main character. But any more he pretty much does cameos. I think there might be more to Isaac's leaving than his religion. This could all be a joke put together by Matt and Trey with Isaac to explain why Isaac is quiting. From what I know of Matt and Trey, this isn't above them.

Turbowars
03-18-2006, 02:35 PM
My wife just told me that Tom Cruse has something to do with the cancellation of the Scientology episode that was going to air as a repeat. Tom denied having anything to do with it. Matt and Tray had a great reply to the issue, I'll see if I can find it.

Sith Lord 0498
03-18-2006, 06:29 PM
My wife just told me that Tom Cruse has something to do with the cancellation of the Scientology episode that was going to air as a repeat. Tom denied having anything to do with it. Matt and Tray had a great reply to the issue, I'll see if I can find it.

I think this is what you're looking for, Turbowars.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060317/114265290000.html

I really think that Isaac Hayes didn't make those statements willingly. Let me just say that I respect other people's beliefs, but Scientology really seems more like a controlling, cult-like entity. That being said, does anyone else think maybe Scientologist "top-dogs" put pressure on Hayes to quit the show in retaliation for the "Trapped in the Closet" episode.

BTW, I'll understand if my comments get knocked into the Rancor Pit. No hard feelings if so. :)

Turbowars
03-18-2006, 07:02 PM
I think this is what you're looking for, Turbowars.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060317/114265290000.html

I really think that Isaac Hayes didn't make those statements willingly. Let me just say that I respect other people's beliefs, but Scientology really seems more like a controlling, cult-like entity. That being said, does anyone else think maybe Scientologist "top-dogs" put pressure on Hayes to quit the show in retaliation for the "Trapped in the Closet" episode.

BTW, I'll understand if my comments get knocked into the Rancor Pit. No hard feelings if so. :)LOL yeah that's it. Thanks. Scientology is a bunch of crap!

Here's what the South Park guys said.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

Here's what They said about Hayes

On Monday, Stone told The Associated Press, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology...He has no problem and he's cashed plenty of checks with our show making fun of Christians."

Lord Malakite
03-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Let me just say that I respect other people's beliefs, but Scientology really seems more like a controlling, cult-like entity. That being said, does anyone else think maybe Scientologist "top-dogs" put pressure on Hayes to quit the show in retaliation for the "Trapped in the Closet" episode.
I wouldn't be suprised if he was pressured. You are also right about the cult-like aspect on it. I had to volunteer at Wellspring, one of only a few help centers in cult abuse that exist in the entire world. While there organizing patient files I was also given the tour of the cult library, every book in the room were propaganda books published and written by members of various cults. Almost two shelves were dedicated to Scientology books.

2-1B
03-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Did they have the novel for Battlefield Earth on that shelf ? lol

Turbs, I couldn't have said it any better myself about the crap thing. Well stated, sir. :D

Lord Malakite
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Did they have the novel for Battlefield Earth on that shelf ? lol
I didn't look through every book so it could of been.:lipsrseal

2-1B
03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
I would have guessed that every other book on the shelf would have been. :D