PDA

View Full Version : Best Darth Vader ever??

03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
OK, which of the million or so Vader varients out there is you favourite? Here's a list I made up of all the ones I know of, (excluding exclusives)and how they're different:

POTFII:
Vader: He-Man sculpt.

W/ Removable Helmet: first decent-looking Vader IMO.

W/ Removable Helmet Dome: pack-in with The Action Figure game. Same as above, with nice detail on inner helmet

FLASHBACK: Articulated arms and dueling pose

POTJ:
Dagobah: Translucent w/ removable face-plate and head. Articulated arms and wrists.

Emperors Rath: Glow in dark “skull” inside helmet.

COMMTECH: Inner robe sculpted over shoulder armor, thumbs-in-belt swivel arms and lightsaber sculpted to belt, fine cloth cape and waist robe, smoked lenses.

SAGA:
Bespin Duel: Swivel-action, all plastic, wind-swept cape, extended “Join me!” hand, two-part lightsaber with metal(?) hilt. Chain sculpt on chest armor, smoked lenses. Bridge pieces.

Death Star Clash/ Death Star Hanger: Cloth cape, inner robe sculpted over shoulder armor, and waist robe plastic. Separate codpiece, no arm articulation, smoked lenses.

Throne Room Duel: Same as Bespin Duel, only with removable helmet and “lightsaber throwing action.” Different belt/ waist robe combo. Different left arm/ hand.

OTC:
#10 Darth Vader: Same as Throne Room Duel only slightly different paint scheme.
#29 Darth Vader: Same as Emperor’s Rath Vader sculpt with different head and “snow” on cape.
#34 Darth Vader: Same as Death Star Clash

VOTC: Cloth cape & waist robe. Elbows, wrists and neck articulation. Ball-joint articulated knees. Articulated shoulder(s?) Hole in belt for lightsaber hilt.

500 FIGURE: Similar to VOTC Vader but with removable helmet. No hole in belt for lightsaber hilt, no articulated shoulders or neck. Two different right hands.

ROTS: Cloth cape & waist robe. Articulated shoulders and right arm “with lightsaber attack” activated by squeezing legs.

EVOLUTIONS: Removable helmet (no eyebrows). Full cloth tabard. Ball joint elbows, articulated wrists.

THE SAGA COLLECTION:
013: Same as 500 Vader with removable helmet with hand #2.

WHEW!!
I just bought Saga 013 Vader (500 Vader)- it looks great, but for a few things. Vader tilts oddly to the left, he can't really hold his lightsaber very well even with a two-handed pose, and the helmet falls off if you even sneeze in the same room. I haven't seen the VOTC vader or evolutions, which both look good.
Anyone else?

Bacta Beast
03-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Evolutions!!! Absolutely!!!! My only complaint is that the helmet could be a tighter fit. That saga version is just a re-pack of the 500th one, which was a big let down!

plasticfetish
03-14-2006, 04:07 AM
My vote goes to the POTJ "Emperor's Wrath" Vader -- still one of my favorite figures. The POTF2 with removable helmet is also great, and then there's the VOTC Vader which (aside from the price) is a winner.

My vote for worst is the Saga "Bespin Duel" version. I really hate that thing, which means that I'm not a big fan of the "Throne Room Duel" version either.

jjreason
03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't mind the Saga2 version. You basically get the "deluxe" 500th Vader for the basic figure price. The first Removable Helmet Vader from POTF2 however, is likely my favorite.

pegger
03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
You forgot a few Vader

Imperial 4 pack Vader - same sculpt as Emperor's wrath - but without the skull effect.

Hoth Vader (I think OTC? line) - same sculpt as Emperor's wrath - but with snow highlights on boots, and no skull effect.

My favorite is Dagobah - but not tech. Vader.... Removable Helmet (1st version) is a fav. of mine too.

Lord Malakite
03-16-2006, 04:53 AM
I noticed a few non exclusives missing too.

SOTE 2-Pack Posed Vader (came on both SOTE 2-pack and POTF2 card)
Complete Galaxy Vader with Death Star
Cinema Scene Final Jedi Duel Vader
FX Vader
Gunner Station Vader
Masters of the Darkside 2-pack Vader

Slicker
03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm gonna say the vintage one. Only on the basis that it was the first and got the ball rolling for the myriad of Vaders that have followed. And here were are well over 700 figures later so I think he had at least a little part to play in it all.

AmanaMatt
03-18-2006, 10:27 PM
For Hasbro, I love both the Evolutions Vader (ROTJ styled) & the Masters of the Darkside Vader (depicting ANH styled)!

PS, love the Sideshow Vader too!

DarkArtist
03-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I would have to say the evolutions Vader and the POTF Dagobah Vader are the best and the Comm Tech Vader as #3

Jayspawn
03-20-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd vote the Evolutions Vader as the best. The Hoth 4-pack Vader (fully colored Emperor's Wrath version) is a great 2nd.

Blackened88
03-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I vote Evo vader, he's the only vader i know of with ball joint elbows and that makes him the winner for me.

BountyHunterScum
03-24-2006, 03:22 AM
you're not kidding about that 500th Vader/new "hoth" Vader. Fart the wrong way that helmet goes flying. I don't have the Rath Vader with glow in the dark skull, wish I did it sounds nice.

03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, you can have mine, I suppose. Actually, I'm selling abunch of my stuff on ebay this week, and that is one of the auctions. I don't think it has any bids, yet, either. Here's the link:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbillmattesonQQhtZ-1

Hope that helps!

Bacta Beast
03-30-2006, 05:48 PM
I just bid on your Dagobah Vader!

Bacta Beast
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I noticed a few non exclusives missing too.

SOTE 2-Pack Posed Vader (came on both SOTE 2-pack and POTF2 card)
Complete Galaxy Vader with Death Star
Cinema Scene Final Jedi Duel Vader
FX Vader
Gunner Station Vader
Masters of the Darkside 2-pack Vader

I think the reason those were left out is the they stink compared to what's available now. Any Vader pre Commtech just isn't worth mentioning as a "best" Vader. The sculpting was inaccurate and articulation wasn't as advanced. I just don't see anything that's better than the "Evo" Vader. It has all the features I've ever wanted in a Dart Vader figure. The only way to inprove it would be fixing the loose helmet and adding ball joint hips. Okay, okay maybe a real chain on the cape!:D

Devo
03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I'd vote the Evolutions Vader as the best. The Hoth 4-pack Vader (fully colored Emperor's Wrath version) is a great 2nd.

The Hoth 4 pack Vader are you serious?? That one is so bad in so many ways its not funny. I use him as my 'bout to get his hand chopped off Vader. He's collected so much dust he's grey. I like Emperors Wrath Vader but only for the effectiveness of the lightning gimmick - the sculpt is far from the best particularly with regard to the mask. So the fully coloured one is brutal. Poor quality plastic too.

Banthaholic
05-20-2006, 02:50 AM
I vote for Holiday Vader :D

figrin bran
05-20-2006, 03:27 AM
this isn't the "blatant lies" thread Banthaholic! :p

Slicker
05-20-2006, 04:18 AM
I vote for Holiday Vader :DI vote for castration.:yes:;)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-20-2006, 01:16 PM
These are the only ones I have open:

Flashback - Still a bit He-Manish, but this appears to be one of the first figures to have elbow articulation.
Commtech - A nice neutral pose, and comes with the interrogation droid. No lightsaber though, unless I have misplaced it.
Saga Bespin Duel - Good for this specific scene, but that's about it.
Saga Death Star Clash - Not a bad looking figure, but only one arm has elbow articulation. Comes with a stand.
Imperial Forces 4-Pack - This time, only the other arm is articulated. I don't like the preposed legs with no articulation.
VOTC - Great figure, great articulation. About the only thing that would be better would be a removable helmet
ROTS - I don't like the way this one is preposed with no articulation.
Evolutions - This one is as good as the VOTC, plus his helmet is removeable. The helmet is a bit loose, but not as bad as...
TSC Hoth Vader - Would be a great figure if his helmet could stay on and he could hold his lightsaber better.

Of the other figures that I have not opened, none appear to rival the best of the ones that I have opened. The original Darth Vader with removeable helmet was great when released, but it doesn't match VOTC or Evolutions.

I think between VOTC and Evolutions, I might like VOTC better, but it is a close call. Both are excellent figures.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2006, 09:45 AM
I vote for the Evolutions one as well.

05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
I saw one last week that, at first, I thought was a repack of TSC Hoth Vader in the new "Search for foil crap and win a cheesy Lucas figure" packaging, but when I looked closely, it was possibly a repackaged ROTS Vader w/ the leg-squeeze gimmick. Anyone else notice this or buy one?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
I saw one last week that, at first, I thought was a repack of TSC Hoth Vader in the new "Search for foil crap and win a cheesy Lucas figure" packaging, but when I looked closely, it was possibly a repackaged ROTS Vader w/ the leg-squeeze gimmick. Anyone else notice this or buy one?
Sounds like it could be the TSC repack of the ROTS Vader as part of that Heroes & Villains ROTS Greatest Hits or whatever it is called. I saw them at Target for the first time last week.

Slicker
05-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Yep. Definitely the H&V (Heroes and Villians) Vader. I've got it sittin' right next to me here.