PDA

View Full Version : FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: KOTOR wave

Sith Lord 0498
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Considering that 20% of your Fan's Choice selections are characters from both Knights of the Old Republic video games, please consider creating these characters as an entire wave unto themselves. Between the two games, you can easily create a case of figures in several assortments. Here are the characters you could use.

Darth Malak
Darth Revan w/ removable face mask (variation - male or female)
Darth Sion
Darth Nihilus
Mission Vao
Bastila Shan
Sith Trooper
HK-47

Here are possible case assortment options:

Assortment 1

Darth Revan (x1 - male)
Darth Malak (x2)
Darth Sion (x2)
Darth Nihilus (x2)
Mission Vao (x1)
Bastila Shan (x2)
Sith Trooper (x2)

Assortment 2

Darth Revan (x1 - female)
Darth Malak (x2)
Darth Sion (x1)
Darth Nihilus (x2)
Mission Vao (x1)
Bastila Shan (x1)
HK-47 (x2)
Sith Trooper (x2)

Assortment 3

Darth Revan (x1 - female)
Darth Revan (x1 - male)
Darth Malak (x1)
Darth Sion (x1)
Darth Nihilus (x1)
Bastila Shan (x1)
HK-47 (x2)
Sith Trooper (x4) - this should satisfy the army builders

Captain Spoon
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
I second that. Mandalore would be a sweet figure also. They should do multiple waves one case of KOTOR figures, one case of KOTOR2 figures, and a case of Sith Troopers and Mandalorian warriors. put me down for 2 cases each of the first 2 and 3 or 4 cases of manalorians. I mean it only makes sense, between the 2 games they sold a kazillion copies people will buy them and kids will buy them because alot have played the game. It would sure as hell beat another repaint of Luke, Anakin, Han and stuff

figrin bran
03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
i love that idea Sithlord though i would sub out Mission Vao for Juhani. regardless, i would definitely be a completist for any KOTOR figures that might be made.

El Chuxter
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Although I don't have a lot of interest in KOTOR characters, I'd prefer they be done as a wave rather than one or two otherwise completely random figures. If the figures look cool, I'll buy them.

jedi master sal
03-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I posted a list some time ago about KOTOR figs. I had them all in a few waves.

What I'd like to see is a multipack. Preferabe a LARGE multipack. Something like 6 of the characters in one box. Perhaps a light side and a dark side box.

There's too many to choose from and I think it's quite possible to make two completely different sets of light and dark, thus giving us 24 characters.
Heck sell the set of 6 for $50. I would pay that for ALL NEW FIGURES. And in this respect other than the Sith trooper and old Republic trooper, there aren't really any army builders, so one set each is enough for anybody who might want to collect these.

I'll post later exactly who and how I'd break them down. (It's late though and I'm too old-should be sleeping-to be on the net this time of night...heh heh.)

-Sal

figrin bran
03-16-2006, 12:14 AM
actually Sal, i think HK-47 could be an army builder as well. if you'll recall, there were other assassin droids of the same model in KOTOR 2, albeit colored differently. can you say color variants? ;)

Anakin Palpatine
03-16-2006, 03:31 AM
All we want is every damn 3.75 figure you can possibly make, decent ships that the figs can fit into, and playsets that are realistic to the enviornment. Hell...well buy McCallum figures, crew figures, creature shop figures just make them if they have anything to do with Star Wars!! I'm not being a jerk, I really would for grins, but the first aprt was serious!:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
03-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Darth Malak-The main villain
Darth Revan w/ removable face mask (variation - male or female)-this is the character the player
Mission Vao-YOUNG street smart Twi’Lek female
Bastila Shan-Female Jedi hero that the player interacts with
Sith Trooper-Self explanatory
HK-47-Assasin/Protocol Droid. Likes to call humans “meatbag.”
T3-M4-EARLY R2 like droid
Zaalbar-Wookiee Warrior
Saul Karath-Former Republic Admiral who defected to the Sith Fleet
Juhani-Cat like species Jedi
Darth Bandon-Darth Malak’s apprentice
Jolee Bindo-Mace Windu like character
Carth Onasi-Male hero that the player interacts with
Canderous Ordo-Mandalorian
Calo Nord-short Bounty Hunter
Republic trooper

So here’s how I’d special package them or case these.

Light Side special set I:
Bastila Shan
T3-M4
Juhani
Republic trooper
Zaalbar

Light Side special set II:
Carth Onasi
Mission Vao
Jolee Bindo
Canderous Ordo
HK-47

The reason for breaking them up like this is that you evenly split, the droids, the two main heroes (Bastila, Carth), the two partners (Mission Vao, Zaalbar), the two minor jedi (Juhani, Jolee), and have two trooper-like figs (Republic trooper and Canderous). By splitting them evenly, Hasbro assures itself that we would by BOTH sets as we would want to have the pairs together properly.

Dark Side special set I:
Darth Revan-with added accessories and head swaps to at least partially give us some control over what the character looks like. Since the game did this.
Darth Bandon
Saul Karath

Dark Side special set II:
Darth Malak
Calo Nord
Sith Trooper

The dark side sets are also relatively split. With both main Darth’s split. Both Sith militia men split (Saul Karath and the Sith trooper), and having Darth Bandon in a different set from Malak means in the end we’d have to get both of these sets too.

Now since there are 10 “light side” and only 6 dark side (with Revan being a swing character-meaning it could be either light or dark) we could make light sets like this instead:

Light side 1a:
Bastila Shan
Juhani
HK-47
Republic trooper

Light side 2a:
Carth Onasi
Mission Vao
Jolee Bindo
Light-side Revan Male

Light side 3a:
Canderous Ordo
Zaalbar
T3-M4
Light-side Revan-Female

Since Revan can be covered up for the dark side version, we wouldn’t HAVE to have different gender versions.

Now if we are talking case assortment, here’s how I’d break this down (we’d now have 18 figs accounting for light side male and female versions of Revan):

Case Assortment 1
X3 Darth Malak
X3 Revan-Light side Male
X2 T3-M4
X2 Zaalbar
X2 Jolee Bindo

Case Assortment 1
X2 Mission Vao
X2 Carth Onasi
X2 Darth Revan
X2 HK-47
X1 Juhani
X2 Sith Trooper
X1Revan-Light side Female

Case Assortment 3
X1 Darth Bandon
X3 Bastila Shan
X3 Canderous Ordo
X1 Saul Karath
X2 Republic trooper
X2 Calo Nord

The above three splits up the characters in a way that has some of the more desired characters split up so we would have to keep looking out for them until they showed up in later assortments.

The following three take into account popularity with the most desired first, then the next lower tier then the least desired.

Case 1(Most Desired) each 2 to a case
Darth Malak
Revan-Light side Male
Carth Onasi
Darth Revan
Bastila Shan
Sith Trooper

Case 2 (desired) in no particular order, each 2 to a case
Canderous Ordo
T3-M4
HK-47
Mission Vao
Zaalbar
Jolee Bindo

Case 3 (least desired-but still want) each 2 to a case
Juhani
Revan-Light side Female
Darth Bandon
Saul Karath
Republic trooper
Calo Nord

The first set in the popularity assortment are the characters most integral to the story. Let’s face it, many more of us played a male character than did female. And the Sith Trooper is an Army builder so it makes sense.
The second set in the popularity assortment are “major” minor characters with whom the player/character interacts with most during gameplay.
The third set in the popularity assortment are characters, that while not necessarily integral are important none-the-less to gameplay.

So that’s my take on how KOTOR figs should be released. Then if they do well, Hasbro could consider KOTOR II figs.

-Sal

El Chuxter
03-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, call me stupid, but what's the deal with Revan? Is s/he some sort of schizophrenic hermaphrodite or something?

Sith Lord 0498
03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay, call me stupid, but what's the deal with Revan? Is s/he some sort of schizophrenic hermaphrodite or something?

It's part of the game's plot twist.

YOU are Darth Revan

...as in the player you create and play as.

Whether or not you use a male or female character determines Revan's gender. Prior to the revelation (you don't know who you really are because of a Jedi-inflicted mind wipe), Revan is only shown in flashbacks and with a Mandalorian-style mask on, covering the face completely. Since you can choose to follow the light or dark sides, there are four combinations for Darth Revan:

Darth Revan (male, Light Side)
Darth Revan (male, Dark Side)
Darth Revan (female, Light Side)
Darth Revan (female, Dark Side)

El Chuxter
03-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks! It makes a lot more sense now.

Sith Lord 0498
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks! It makes a lot more sense now.

You're welcome.

While it's a plot device that's been used frequently in stories, the entire "you are really the villain" concept works superbly in KOTOR because it's on an entirely different level of perception.

You don't know you are really Darth Revan until about 75-80% through the game.

Prior to that, you've heard stories about Malak's fallen master and how he fell from grace during the Mandalorian warriors. You have a preconceived notion of who Revan was while at the same time you are choosing to follow the Light or Dark Side based upon your own ideas of how you as a character should evolve.

Then...the bombshell is dropped, and it completely changes the game. If you were following the Light Side, discovering you're the shadowy Sith Lord can throw your character's world into upheaval. Do you redeem yourself or succumb to your darker nature. If you followed the Dark Side, this seems to rationalize away your actions. Or you can "realize" why your character is evil and try to repent.

The clever thing is that by waiting so long to reveal this, it may be very difficult to redeem your character if you'd followed the Dark Side because you're likely very deep into Sithdom. It's always easier to suddenly fall from grace than it is to climb back up.

Extremely long story short...buy the game and play it through. It's an XBOX Platinum Series game now, so it's only $20. You won't regret it. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Except for me, it would be considerably more, since I'd have to buy an XBox first. :D

Sith Lord 0498
03-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Except for me, it would be considerably more, since I'd have to buy an XBox first. :D

LOL!!! Yeah, I guess that would be a bit pricey, wouldn't it? :p

There's always the PC version, and I believe that's around $20 now as well.

plasticfetish
03-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Except for me, it would be considerably more, since I'd have to buy an XBox first. :DKOTOR is why I bought my XBox. :)

I've long been a fan of the idea that Hasbro should be capitalizing on the popularity of these two games. I've mentioned the idea here before, I've even mentioned it to Hasbro people at Comic-Con. It just amazes me that they'd wait so long to do something with a Star Wars property that's, if anything, made so much money. These days the games make nearly as much if not more money than the films. (Maybe they're catching on now though.)

I think waves like these would be brilliant, but I also think Hasbro might wait until KOTOR 3 comes out to do something like this. I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see them do a Falcon sized Ebon Hawk. Make it an exclusive or something... why not?

Sith Lord 0498
03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I think waves like these would be brilliant, but I also think Hasbro might wait until KOTOR 3 comes out to do something like this. I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see them do a Falcon sized Ebon Hawk. Make it an exclusive or something... why not?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any KOTOR vehicles. Hasbro is so anti-vehicle these days that all they're willing to do are repaints of existing holds. They're balking at the idea of even making a Cloud Car, which is from the movies and a popular request among collectors. There's virtually no way they'd make a brand-new mold for an EU vehicle.