PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow: To Open or Not To Open?

decadentdave
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM
That is the question...

My SS Exclusive Jedi Luke is on the way and I am debating whether or not to open the exclusive version because I can only afford one of each (actually, I can't really afford them at all but you only live once...)

I also have a Toys McCoy Indiana Jones 12" still mint in box that I purchased 6 years ago for several hundred dollars and I have been afraid to open it. I really want to display them out of the box and pose them but even in the box they still look cool. I will probably never sell them but they are still a considerable investment as a collectible. What to do?

plasticfetish
03-17-2006, 03:21 PM
That's a tough one. I ordered the exclusive Han and I want to open it, but I may keep it sealed. I also ordered the regular version of Obi-Wan because I know that I want that one to open. I'll probably open all of them though.

I'd say just hang on to it for a bit at first and decide later.

jedibear
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
From what has been shown on the production blog and talked about all over the various boards, it seems like Sideshow is trying something different with the packaging of their SW12" line. The figure will be "encased" in a clamshell-style package that is inside the actual box...no wires or rubberbands creasing clothing and straining limbs for the sake of shipping. Hopefully that means one can remove the figure and play with it or pose it and then put it back in the box realitively unharmed. That's the idea anyway....
Now will there be tape seals on the box to break/cut? Probably. Are the accessories packaged in the same clamshell-type package or are they blisterpacked requiring cutting to open? Unknown. But alot of folks (myself included) should have the answers soon when Luke arrives.
Now, I'm not buying two of each of these figures...it's just too expensive. As for your question/point about investments...well, I'll grant that these aren't in the same overproduced league as mass-market toys so that after-market demand for certain characters may remain high for a time, but personally I can't see getting figures produced with this kind of artistry and care to leave it sealed up and untouched (unless your sole intention is for investment). I can't wait to test these figure's posability and enjoy displaying them. If it wrecks my "investment potential"...so be it. I'm buyin' em for me...

Jayspawn
03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I have the regular 12" Luke on order and I'll probably open him. I do have the Exclusive Obi-Wan on order and I'm also debating opening it or not.

Captain Spoon
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I have bought a lot of Sideshow stuff in the past (Monty Python, Civil War, and Hellboy) and I thought I would leave them all in the package. Well about a month and a half ago I decided "screw it" I couldn't stand looking at these things in the box anymore so I opened them. I have no regrets these things are too cool looking not to be opened. However the Star Wars stuff will probobly have the highest resale value out of all Sideshow lines

dr_evazan22
03-17-2006, 05:41 PM
I plan on opening all of mine as well. I'm just hoping the empty package looks as good on display. It's nice they designed the package with openers in mind, too.

decadentdave
03-17-2006, 06:03 PM
I guess I feel like breaking the seal is like breaking the seal with the Holy Grail. I dunno. Guess I'll have to decide when it comes. Why do these decisions always have to be so difficult?

nash
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
guys, the only thing that differentiates the exclusive from the regular version is just a little accessory.... the figures are both the same, why wouldnt you open it? Also if youre not in it for resale value, then there is no harm in opening it either. My only problem is finding a suitable display cabinet to house them all. Once I do that they will all be opened but i will definitely be keeping the boxes in as best condition as possible.

Blue2th
03-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Now will there be tape seals on the box to break/cut? Probably. Are the accessories packaged in the same clamshell-type package or are they blisterpacked requiring cutting to open? Unknown. But alot of folks (myself included) should have the answers soon when Luke arrives...
I'm hoping there is no tape. It always looks tacky. Especially with age. I don't see why they couldn't figure out a way to package Luke etc. without tape on the box. :yes: I've got 2 on order. The regular luke because I missed the Exclusive, put my name on the waiting list and got an Excl. I will definitely open the Regular one now.

Turbowars
03-17-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm 7 for 7 and I'm going to open every single exclusive figure. :yes: I don't think the value will drop too much, but I really can careless about that. Just think if you don't open them you wont be able to put them in awesome poses and put the Exclusive Item in hand.

maatu
03-17-2006, 08:42 PM
i think iwill open some of them to see what they look like out of the packaging. then put them back. i had a problem with the medicom darth vader. i had him displayed on a shelf and his hand came off with light saber and broke. i was ticked at myself. for not putting it in a better place. but the saber broke so easily hitting the ground. i don't want to take that same risk.
i really am jealous of the person who has a toy mccoy indiana jones. i want that figure but it's too expensive. wow sideshow could get the license to that and make everybody and indiana jones.

IG65
03-17-2006, 09:57 PM
I think it is a simple question of "Why am I collecting"? If it is for an investment, then you should definitely not open. If it is not for investment then it seems to me that these figures scream to be opened. With the articulation, costumes and accessories detailed to such a high degree they need to be opened in order to be displayed to their full potential. They may look good in the box, but they will look GREAT when they're out.

Sith Lord 0498
03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm also going to be opening my Sideshow figures, which will be a mix of exclusives and standard editions. However, I plan on keeping the packaging so I can store them until I have a chance to buy a glass case to display them while protecting them from dust. In the meantime, I'll pose them and play a bit and then put them back in the box.

JediTricks
03-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Just so you know, the box has no tape on the flaps so it is fully collector-friendly (in theory anyway, I will open mine in a minute and find out how it tracks in practice).

JediTricks
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I just opened it, the tabs have to be slid out with a little force, so you will might crease them at the corner with your thumbnail while trying to be careful not to rip the box (I didn't rip it, and I nearly ALWAYS mess that up on boxes like this so it shouldn't be an issue for most folks). Also, the trays inside are taped together, I cut the tape at the seams. Putting it all back is an absolute breeze, everything fits in the clamshell trays, the vest and robe I feared would be tough to put back but they were absolutely forgiving to my poor folding skills, and sliding it back into the box was easier than opening it. It's been 40 minutes since opening and I can barely tell the teeny creases I put in the tabs with my thumbnail are still there, you'd never know I opened this sucker.

Let me put it to you this way, even the most stringent MOCer will be able to open this and put it back in pristine condition, if you are insane about tape then you could peel back the tape and replace it when you're done, but this sucker is made to be opened, enjoyed, and if need be, put back in its box none the worse for wear. You do not need a duplicate to keep MOC with these.

AmanaMatt
03-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I totally agree. Aside from being a little bigger than I personally like, the box is absolutely collector friendly. Tape being your only true issue (and that's nothing!).

I am loving the magnetic clips too :laugh:

decadentdave
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes, VERY collector friendly. Outstanding packaging! This is how SS should package ALL of their 1:6 figures from here on out.

However, if you are not EXTREMELY careful when opening the flaps, they will slightly crease. I was being very delicate opening the accesories flap and it still creased in the center of the flap and repeated openings will show signs of wear.

Still, I see no need for collector's to spend the money to purchase 2 of each unless it is purely for investment for the most stringent MOC who must have an unopened AFA graded 9 or 10. For the rest of us, this is absolutely perfect to display in the box or out.

I must say, this is the most impressive SS figure I have purchased to date. The facial sculpt is a DEAD-ON likeness of Hamill. It BLOWS away the Medicom Luke. I am so happy I held off on that one.

For those that missed the SS Excusive with the Skiff Guard Blaster, you're not missing very much. Seriously. I just left mine in the tray in the box. I prefer to display my Jedi Luke saber ignited with Jedi cloak.

Bring on Anakin and Obi-Wan!!!

decadentdave
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
BTW -

Someone else mentioned they were looking for glass display cases. My friend purchased some really nice glass display cases from Ikea for like $60 or $70. I don't have one in my state but you can order them from their website and they will ship them. They are about 5 or 6 feet tall and they are perfect for displaying 12" figures.

Sith Lord 0498
03-25-2006, 07:51 PM
BTW -

Someone else mentioned they were looking for glass display cases. My friend purchased some really nice glass display cases from Ikea for like $60 or $70. I don't have one in my state but you can order them from their website and they will ship them. They are about 5 or 6 feet tall and they are perfect for displaying 12" figures.

Yeah, that would be me. I know there's an IKEA near Philadelphia, but I'll probably check out the website instead.

Thanks for the tip!! :)

decadentdave
03-25-2006, 08:14 PM
It is the Detolf cabinent and it is 64" height. $59.99

Here it is: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&parentCats=15561*15639*15645&productId=11638

Sith Lord 0498
03-25-2006, 11:54 PM
It is the Detolf cabinent and it is 64" height. $59.99

Here it is: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&parentCats=15561*15639*15645&productId=11638

Again...thanks for the info!! Definitely above and beyond the call of duty getting that link for me. I really appreciate it.

It's funny though...the way Sideshow puts out so many pre-orders in advance, technically I've already filled one whole cabinet!! Insane... :D

Darth Cruel
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I avoid creasing the box flaps by slipping a butter knife (dull edge toward the flap) into the top from each side and holding back the tab that "locks" the flap in place by catching under the smaller side flaps by gently pulling the main flap back until the end comes back out from under the side flap. If anyone needs picks, let me know.

dr_evazan22
03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Sith Lord - If you decide to go to the IKEA in Plymouth Meeting, LMK. It'd be cool to meet another SSG'er (while it still is SSG). It's right off the end of the toll section of 476.