PDA

View Full Version : Cody, why so expensive?

whopper
03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Cody's going on Ebay for crazy prices $40, from what I've seen. What's going on? Is Habsro going to make the figure rare?

decadentdave
03-19-2006, 12:26 AM
No, it's just so Frank N' Scalpers can bogart all of them and rip off everyone else until Hasbro ships them in abundance.

Slicker
03-19-2006, 02:39 AM
It's because people are ignorant and can't wait until these start hitting in stores. I've only heard reports of this wave hitting in about 4-5 states thus far so it hasn't even really hit yet.

Samuel Windu
03-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Cody's going on Ebay for crazy prices $40, from what I've seen. What's going on? Is Habsro going to make the figure rare?

Anybody buy?

starwarsfan1
03-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Anybody buy?
Yes. I bought all of wave 4 for $5.00 a piece from a freind in california. Also got the new VOTC from him for $10.00 a piece.

whopper
03-19-2006, 09:55 AM
People are buying at $40. So that means to me that either they are right to do so, or that in a few weeks the price is going to plummet.

That's why I was speculating that maybe this item is going to be rare, e.g. they'll only put 1 per box or something like that.

maatu
03-19-2006, 09:57 AM
i ended up getting cody for $15 at my local place. he saved one for me. he only had 3 of them .right now there 1 a case . but he had plnety of scorch and utaupian clone troopers.i think iwas lucky but could of waited. it's very hard to get the helmet off of his head.

Samuel Windu
03-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Is Cody one per case?Even in future assortment?:bandit:

Turbowars
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Cody's going on Ebay for crazy prices $40, from what I've seen. What's going on? Is Habsro going to make the figure rare?The only reason people are paying high prices is because they are morons. There's a few other reasons why he's so hot though. 1st he's a Clone, 2nd people have been crying for him ever since ROTS came out, 3rd the Wave just hit retail in the last week, 4th he's only packed 1 per case 5th the scalpers have caught on and are rapping the pegs to sell them to you on e-bay for 40 bucks. If everyone would just relax and not buy any figure on e-bay there wouldn't be a scalper market.

Darth Instigator
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
when are these supposed to hit NY, I just want two for my kids, a 7 and 3 year old

Fwad
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Cody wave has been out for a week. They are shipping alot of Cody's clones and Scorch's now.@ to 3 per case.I have only seen 5 cases with Cody.

Tycho
03-19-2006, 12:12 PM
The $40 for Cody might have been a False Price.

If a "dealer" started out with 8 of them, they might've been each $18 at his price. Then when he sold several at that price, he marked them up to $25 or so. When he still sold them at that price, he again marked them up. I've seen that sort of thing happen at Comic Con, Celebrations, Swap Meets, etc. E-Bay's auction rates work pretty much the same way. Now if NONE of them sold, Cody would have been marked DOWN to $13 and down from there on. Sale price is always whatever the market would bare. E-bay falls as supply increases.

Think about it: he paid about $6 per figure if he bought them himself from Target or wherever. If he paid a scalper, then he purchased them at $10 each abouts. If he had 8 Codys and sold them at $18 each in the beginning, he made his money back even from buying them from his scalper ON NEARLY THE FOURTH SALE at $18! ($72 versus $80 outlayed). He can then be in a better position to afford not selling any figures of Cody at $40 or whatever he wants, because if he still gets 1 sale, he makes bank. If he doesn't he can lower his price back to $18 and claim a profit or whatever it takes. $8 will break him even, right? Scalping is almost as ugly as desperation amongst collectors who will pay that price. The thing is, wealthy folks who don't really have anything better to do with $35 will pay that price because they don't want to be shopping at 7am. What's even sadder is all the folks with no real money who make bad decisions to pay $40 because they have to have that figure!

Now I DO have the money, but I NEVER pay over $5-6 per figure because I just go out and hunt them down at store-opening hours. There's not that many I want any more that I have to spend much time hunting anyway. It's just something to do. I got groceries, had breakfast at McDonald's, and bought gasoline while I was out. I still don't have Cody, but he's coming (for $6, too!)

Fwad
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
The only reason people are paying high prices is because they are morons. There's a few other reasons why he's so hot though. 1st he's a Clone, 2nd people have been crying for him ever since ROTS came out, 3rd the Wave just hit retail in the last week, 4th he's only packed 1 per case 5th the scalpers have caught on and are rapping the pegs to sell them to you on e-bay for 40 bucks. If everyone would just relax and not buy any figure on e-bay there wouldn't be a scalper market.Turbo you are right on.In the last month i was looking for the Geo wave. I found it 3 times.Now that the next wave is out i have seen 20-30 of the Scorch and Orange clone in the last 3 days.Don't buy from the scalpers. When you do you only give them more money to continue what they do.

TheDarthVader
03-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Fwad, could you pick up an orange clone for me? I still have not be able to find one here in TX.

Yeah, people are stupid to be paying $40 for a $6 figure. I have said it before, and I will say it again: some people have too much money.

B.
TDV

Tycho
03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I have said it before, and I will say it again: some people have too much money.

B.
TDV

It might be that or they have no self-control. The worst thing is somone who has disposable income to enjoy a $180 Maul FX Lightsaber or such, but decides to buy $40 figures of Cody, Fireship Pilot, Ki-Adi Holo, Utopau Clone, etc. on impulse just because they are immediately available. The whole lot of them ought to be under $30 and then if the person had to, he'd save for 2 months to get the extra $30 back for the FX saber or something and he'd have MORE. :rolleyes: At least this person was once capable of ordering SideShow's exclusive figures when first offered - or heck, that's DSL affordable for the price of Cody :rolleyes:

Even if you are rich, you'll have more fun taking your friends out for steak dinners every night than buying $40 Star Wars figures. Think about that. Everyone has to make resource-allocation choices.

Darth Instigator
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
yea Fwad or anyone else, I will take 2 of each for the boys if you can spare, lmk

Fwad
03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
I will be able to get some extra clones but if i were you i would wait 2 weeks while these cases are shipping. I would be silly for you to pay money for shipping when these clones are shipping in every wave.I would rather have 2 clones than 1 clone plus shipping.Hit your Targets early and you'll get everything you need.

abell748
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
For me to get anything at Target, that would mean that they would have to get more then one Hoth case or one scalper-ravaged Geonosis wave case at a time and at more than 1 case every 3 weeks.

DarkArtist
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
why is he so expensive, because he is the most wanted figure from ROTS. Look on Ebay, people are stilling selling customs of Cody at insane prices. Cody will sell out. I still have yet to see him. I know for a fact I will be picking up about 3 of him.

El Chuxter
03-23-2006, 01:01 PM
No kidding! This guy is expensive!! He was a whopping $6.63 at WM this morning! And he doesn't look like he should be a penny over $5.89. :mad:

Darth Instigator
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Chuxter, did you pick up any extras? My kids would love it!

El Chuxter
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
There was only one each of Cody, Ki-Adi, and Lushros. :( However, this is the first time I've seen the Coruscant Wave, so I don't think it's time to worry yet. :)

Darth Instigator
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
ok cool, thanks

whopper
03-24-2006, 06:54 AM
I want one of these figures, and I can't find the guy in stores. I'm figuring in time there'll be some, but being that so many people here posted they found one and I haven't, I'm a bit bugged.

Slicker
03-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I want one of these figures, and I can't find the guy in stores. I'm figuring in time there'll be some, but being that so many people here posted they found one and I haven't, I'm a bit bugged.I wouldn't worry one bit about it. I still haven't seen any of the Coruscant wave in my area so it just takes time in certain places. Just be patient and for the love of God don't resort to eBay just yet.

jedi master sal
03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
No kidding! This guy is expensive!! He was a whopping $6.63 at WM this morning! And he doesn't look like he should be a penny over $5.89. :mad:

HA HA!

WTH is up with the price change anyway?

Slicker
03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I just bought a Cody and if anyone wants it it's there's. The eBay auction number is 58920384574. Have fun and happy bidding.:thumbsup:

HAW!! Just kidding...SUCKERS!!!

jjreason
03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
You mean bastard..... :mad:

I was getting ready to DICKER with you over the price.

DarkArtist
03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
i picked up cody yesterday at TRU. I love this figure. I wish I found more. I would have traded it for a scorch or a utapau clone. I passed on the UGH versions of figures, I'm not into collecting all the variations. I saw a few of them at a local comic shop for $19.99 a piece. I think he had Han, AT-AT Driver, and Anakin.

MajikNinja
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM
i'm in buffalo NY... i got 2 at my local walmart a couple weeks ago. but they have a couple every so often at a local flee market for $25