PDA

View Full Version : Rock Star Season II

JimJamBonds
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I generally don't watch 'reality shows' but this one might be intersting....

The next season of Rock Star will involve finding a singer for the group Supernova. Who is Supernova? Well they have yet to record one second of material, the members are Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted and Gun N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke.

This COULD be interesting... or really sucky.

El Chuxter
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm in just for Gilby. His solo stuff is incredible and majorly underrated.

Bacta Beast
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm glad I didn't try out.

2-1B
03-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I hate to see Jason Newsted lower himself to this. :( I guess he must be giving up on having any more of a serious career. :(

Rocketboy
03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I started watching the first season about half way through and, despite the fact it was INXS, I really enjoyed the show. There were some really good singers on there. Too bad the end result ended up being subpar with only 2 or 3 decent-to-good tunes on the album.

I like the idea of starting a brand new band in the new one. I'm looking forward to it.
But I can't help but wonder if the name Supernova is going to stick - remember the song "Chewbacca" from Clerks? It was by Supernova.

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 01:38 AM
I've seen ads for this now, and they keep hyping it as "Tommy Lee's new band."

Feh. Tommy Lee. Good glam-metal drummer, but overrated overall. Gilby and Jason are both a bazillion times better. I'll watch for them, and hope Tommy and the contestants don't steal too much limelight.

BTW, I actually really like INXS, but refused to watch the first season at all. There's a difference between auditioning a replacement for an dead iconic frontman who was the only reason anyone listened to your band, and auditioning a singer for a new band.

figrin bran
06-15-2006, 03:38 AM
i caught a few episodes of this last season and though i can't be sure how this season will work, it might be that you won't ever really see newsted and gilby and the others playing as they'll probably be judges. with INXS, i don't think they played with the contestants until the final show.

Rocketboy
06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
That's right - J.D. Fortune's first time perfroming with INXS was the final show.
But every week the "bottom 3" contestants would sing INXS songs to try to save their butts from being booted.

JimJamBonds
06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Ehh whatever, this show just lost my interest before I even saw it.:(

jjreason
06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I can't be bothered either. What time does Last Comic Standing start again?

Rocketboy
06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
A couple of weeks ago.

Banthaholic
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I find it funny how they advertise a member of GNR and it's Gilby Clark

I dunno about this season with INXS they were looking for a singer for a band. To me this is a side project for Tommy Lee. So it seems to take away from the win a spot in a band gig, more like win a chance to tour with Tommy release 1 album and then good luck.

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I find it funny how they advertise a member of GNR and it's Gilby Clark

Hey, he and Izzy are the only two who don't suck arse outside GnFnR. :D

CaptainSolo1138
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey, he and Izzy are the only two who don't suck arse outside GnFnR. :DStill thine tongue. Velvet Revolver is the greatest supergroup ever. EVAH!

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I meant solo, Solo. Putting three members together isn't exactly "solo." I just wasn't clear in what I said. (Velvet Revolver is Guns n Roses with a new lead singer. The band calling itself GNR is a bad tribute band with the washed-up former lead singer.)

Ever heard either of Slash's solo albums? Or Duff's turd Believe In Me? What about anything by Axl and his new band?

However, Izzy's 117 and Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars are easily two of the best albums of the 1990s.