PDA

View Full Version : Over inflated sense of self- ....

dr_evazan22
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Is it just me, or do the folks that run and operate Rebelscum have an over-inflated sense of self-importance?:yes:

I'm not trying to start any web wars or anything, but they have an item up on the main page saying that they are disappointed with the number of people renewing their Hyperspace subscriptions, so that 'Dustin' can be fan club president.

I've got something to say to you ... ah, ... ah, ... "Eff you!":yes:

Gesundheit!

Thank you!

I also 'like' how they post items on the main page for other business' that Wise owns, like Official Pix (or whatever the name is).

Other than that type of BS I do like to visit RS.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

CaptainSolo1138
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
RS = meh

Not only do I not like their setup, their content isn't anything special either. The only thing I check out daily over there is the collector galleries, and even those are getting to be nothing but "Look how many clones I have!" pictures.

JediTricks
03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, I didn't know anybody else out there felt this way too. When I saw that note from Phil about how he was disappointed in the signups, it felt really f***ed up, I mean, perhaps the friggin' problem is that Hyperspace is already a substantial insult to Star Wars fans, so what better way to deal with that than to guilt people into signing up? :mad:

El Chuxter
03-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Personally, I think CaptainSolo1138 should be the Fan Club President, the dirty little FF.

CaptainSolo1138
03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Personally, I think CaptainSolo1138 should be the Fan Club President, the dirty little FF.
I've been barking up that tree for a week now with the borrowed jjreason sig.

dr_evazan22
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
FF? Fantastic Four? Something tells me that's not it...

2-1B
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about Tycho. :p

Really though, I never go to RS and I have no interest in doing so. I used to go to TFN all the time while the movies were in production because I loved all the updates. But now that the movie phase is over, I don't go there too often. Time goes on.

As for that Dusty for Prez campaign, I think it's lame. lol

Slicker
03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Besides that he looks like a friggin' tool anyways. I only go to RS for the Norfolk, VA just found thread because those guys seem to find everything. Other than that I utterly hate the layout of the forums. I'll take a simple vB forum any day.

Rogue II
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Besides that he looks like a friggin' tool anyways. I only go to RS for the Norfolk, VA just found thread because those guys seem to find everything. Other than that I utterly hate the layout of the forums. I'll take a simple vB forum any day.

Same here, except I go to the Las Vegas thread, and I don't even do that much anymore. I'll check it out more when the next wave of OT figures start showing up in stores.

2-1B
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
And what's that about having a famous sister ? :confused: I hope it's Julia because that means Eric is his brother. :crazed:

decadentdave
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. I have to say that Philip Wise is a really good guy, I've spoken to him personally and, like most of us here, is a passionate collector and avid Star Wars fan. I have visited Rebelscum every single day since I think it was sometime 1994 or '95 and have always found their coverage to be very informative. This is no ding to SSG as I have also visited SSG daily since about the same time and both sites and Yakface.com are the 3 main Star Wars sites that I make my daily rounds to. I have long abandoned TheForce.net since I always felt their coverage to be redundant and layout less appealing (ironically, I seldom visit the official Star Wars website or even Hyperspace).

Nothing against Dustin personally, but his fantasy about running for Prez of the fan club sounds more like a publicity stunt put on by the Fan Club itself to rally support to drum up new subscriptions for their failing enterprise. I have been a Fan Club member since way back when it was the Lucasfilm Fan Club and I have become so disappointed by the Star Wars Insider since Paizo stopped publishing and Hyperspace has been a total joke. I will NOT be renewing my subscription period.

What the Fan Club needs is leadership beyond Dustin's or Steve Sansweet's or anyone elses ability to make the club worth supporting right now. It needs a serious overhaul by Lucasfilm to deliver quality coverage, value and incentives that fans expect and not the insulting quarterly publication and blatant advertising kits that are mailed out as an afterthought. This is the first time in my 28 years of supporting the franchise that I will not be giving my support.

rich_of_the_dead
03-20-2006, 07:20 PM
i think alot of times rebelscum is better than this site in many ways because they have pics of new stuff and including myself i see people from here putting links to rebelscum here.just because they take pride in the site dont mean they feel self important.that is just jelousy and ignorance.and i am unanimous in that

maatu
03-20-2006, 07:36 PM
not to dick around. but there a couple guys that get on my nerves from oswcc. not going to mention names. but just because you have every figure anually perfect down to the last detail of vintage and you have some prototypes does not make you an expert on anything. they walk around. i think there brothers or cousins. by the way my name is not buddy . But because you can't remember it. i usually just ignore them. sorry for that i hope one of these guys reads this.
my friend use to run a booth in mason at a flea market called traders world and that's where i learned alot from what to collect and how i got started with it again..i mean i collected but not starwars and guys from all over use to come up. even gus lopez's henchmen. one of them wanted a rare vlix figure and some other really hard unproduced stuff and i have never seen guys whine about these figures. i just realized at that moment in my life i probably will never have everything starwars or really want it. i just do it because it's fun and makes me remember what being a kid is like. maybe not kid ,but a kid a heart.

Sith Lord 0498
03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, I didn't know anybody else out there felt this way too. When I saw that note from Phil about how he was disappointed in the signups, it felt really f***ed up, I mean, perhaps the friggin' problem is that Hyperspace is already a substantial insult to Star Wars fans, so what better way to deal with that than to guilt people into signing up? :mad:

That posting really rubbed me the wrong way too.

Personally, I visit Rebelscum for the pictures and figure reviews, and I find that I get the most information by cross-referencing and visiting a myriad of collecting sites.

But there are also quite a few people out there who spend time blowing sunshine up each other's a**es, and I have little patience for that. This Rebelscum posting is one such case.

decadentdave
03-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Agreed. The last thing we want here is a feuding war between SSG and RS. Both sites are enjoyable for any Star Wars fan and there is plenty of room for both. Let's not start firing off any personal attacks please.

starwarsfan1
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I like rebelscum alot because they update more frequently and their rumors about up coming figures are usually correct. I especially liked thier feature on Rancho Obi-Wan. The only thing I dont like bout rebelscum is the forum because its full of people who just b***h and moan whenever a figure doesnt have super articulation. Those people are just ridiculous. I mean they b***hed because Commander Cody didnt have articulated shoulders or elbows. Its still a great figure and one that we have all been waiting for since May 2005. These people are just never happy.

decadentdave
03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Well SOME people say the same thing about these forums. I seem to recall a thread a few months back entitled "Are some people NEVER happy?" that said the very same thing you just mentioned.

2-1B
03-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Dusty should run against Yarna, now THAT would be a vote people could argue over. :crazed:

Turbowars
03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
All the sites have their Pros and Cons. I love SSG Forum set up and most of the members . On the other hand SSG news isn't all that great. To be the best you need a good inside connection to get awesome news. There's nothing new other sites don't have and the same thing can be said about the other sites. GH used to have great news and now that Adam works for EE they don't say crap about up and coming figures. I mean what the hell happened to the Swami? Gee I wonder.:rolleyes: RS Forums are terrible. They have a crap@ss program and I hate to even look at it. So to know whats going on, I hit
SSG
YF
RS
JD
DSP2
GG
EE
SSC
POTF2.com

Jargo
03-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Frankly RS makes me itch more than a leper with crabs.

LusiferSam
03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
All Star Wars fan sites have their pluses and minuses. Some do minuses aspects better than others. The reason I started coming was for accurate news about Hasbro's figures and the good photo gallery. I didn't want rumors (and there were tons of sites with just rumors) or half *** news and photos. The previous site I'd go to had pretty shut down by the summer of '97. SSG fit the bill for me. I stopped collecting the modern stuff a few years back, but still come here every day. Why? It probability fforce of habit. But I also like the place it has a good vibe to it.

I do go to RS (after checking here and my other normal stops). 99% of their news is worthless to me. What I like over there is their vintage section. It a much more vibrant vintage community (mostly to due to toysrgus's blessings) than else where. Don't I several of the people over there, some of the setup, or some of the crap they keep talking about. Those things keep me from joining them (that and I don't need another forum to waste time in).

As for the Dustin for President thing, I could care less. If he wants to be Fan Club President good for him. The Fan Club totally alienated me over this Hyperspace thing and lost me. I can't imagine the other folk running aren't doing the same thing. I say let them, it's not like their going to be the real President.

Sith Lord 0498
03-21-2006, 06:10 AM
As for the Dustin for President thing, I could care less. If he wants to be Fan Club President good for him. The Fan Club totally alienated me over this Hyperspace thing and lost me. I can't imagine the other folk running aren't doing the same thing. I say let them, it's not like their going to be the real President.

I agree.

Hyperspace was good when it was still producing exclusive information on Revenge of the Sith because I couldn't get enough of it. Plus, I had just gotten DSL (the first time since I graduated college back in June '03...this was now December '04), and Hyperspace was my unofficial celebration. But the Fan Club still alienated me with the sub-standard "membership kit" and then screwing up my Insider subscription. Two of my allotted issues were the previous two issues before the current one at the time, they were sent out of order, and I missed out on the last two of '05 because I got issues I'd already read in the bookstore.

As for this Fan Club "president" contest, I say let them as well. They are only going to be a figurehead anyway...much like the current Kings and Queens of England. Cool title, some perks, no real, long-term decision and policy making powers at all.

With that said, let Dustin and the others campaign their hearts out and let Phillip and crew be "underwhelmed" as much as they want to be. If they're getting their Star Wars collecting jollies that way, let them. I'll get mine from waiting anxiously for Sideshow Luke to show up on my porch and for the next figure announcement/pre-order (c'mon...Sith!!!!) :)

Rocketboy
03-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I used to love TFN, but the last couple of years they haven't been the same - posting news that isn't really news (like the advertisement "stories"). I still check it every day, but typically find myself just glancing at the headlines. The forums there aren't that great either, IMO. There are far too many and the local fanforce forums are nothing to write home about. I posted at the Detroit one for a while, but if you didn't attend darn near meeeting you were an outcast. And don't get me started on the newer fanforce that is actually in my city...:rolleyes:

And I think I've been to RS and handful of times. I wasn't impressed. And the whole fan club president thing...another :rolleyes:.

As for SSG, I check the main page maybe once a week. And that's only because all the news there tends to posted here in the forums. I really dig the vibe and people here (for the most part). Most are pretty cool and respectful, and the knuckleheads are bounced before they drive people away.

dr_evazan22
03-21-2006, 10:22 AM
i think alot of times rebelscum is better than this site in many ways because they have pics of new stuff and including myself i see people from here putting links to rebelscum here.just because they take pride in the site dont mean they feel self important.that is just jelousy and ignorance.and i am unanimous in that

I was not trying to say that one site is better or worse then the other. They do have some good photo's and reporting, but the job that SirSteve, JediTricks, and others do here is also very good.

What rubbed me the wrong way was the front page item saying that RS's readers aren't spending enough money for RS.

My PERCEPTION is that they have annointed themselves as the leaders of the collector / fan community; like there is Hyperspace, the official FC, and then there's RS, the unofficial FC; and that they expect people that visit RS to support their goals financially (renewing subscriptions and getting Dusty 'elected').

Another reason I have this perception is that, besides the ad's for OfficialPix that look like news stories, while at C3 last year I came across one of the actors one night, after the Con had closed for the night. The actor was accompanied by a rep from OfficialPix. The actor was willing to sign something for me, but the rep pulled the actor away.

It's alright if you think I'm jealous or ignorant, as that's your opinion. You already know mine.

-------

I'd like to say 'Thanks!' to Steve, and JT, and everyone else that contributes to this site to make it so enjoyable to visit.

LusiferSam
03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
My PERCEPTION is that they have annointed themselves as the leaders of the collector / fan community.
Those are mine feelings exactly, particularly with the vintage community. Sure they have many of the biggest names in the field. They do many knowledgeable people there who like to share that knowledge and are very active. I'm not sure that makes them the leaders. I'm not sure that makes them anything other than collectors and fans with what I've listed.

scruffziller
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Never even been to the site.:D

Blue2th
03-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I go to RS everyday just to see the news. They are good about getting the info out first. I like the way it is layed out with pictures. Their checklists are helpful. I also like their question and answer articles. Galactic Hunter has a simular thing. As far as the forums, I prefer SSG's. They are the best. Every morning I visit RS, GH, and SSG, and sometimes Yoda's News. They all have something good to offer me. Hyperspace I can do without. "There's your crown King (President) Nothing."

Kidhuman
03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I go to RS about once or twice a month at most. When I was unemployed I posted there alot, but stopped. I enjoy the atmosphere over here better. There is no post padding or trolling or anything of the sort. The one thing that got me was forumites fighting over who started what thread and then creating doubles and triples of the same thread.

2-1B
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, I started this thread and Doc E has some nerve stealing my thunder. :mad:

lol

I will say that I dig Official Pix and have bought several 8x10s and clearance autographs from them. :) Pretty cool stuff. :)
However, they are crazy with their prices on the more elite signatures like Hammill, Hayden, and Sam Jackson.

That business about stopping a "celebrity" from signing free for a fan really ticks me off, it wasn't Jeremy Bulloch by chance, was it ? :confused:

InsaneJediGirl
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
I've been to RS a few times and wasnt impressed. I agree with Dr.E about how RS bills themselves as the "voice" of the fans. If one the members wants to become the fan club president,let them. Gives me one more reason why I dont subscribe anymore :)

figrin bran
03-22-2006, 01:25 AM
i read RS daily! i have nearly as many posts there as i do here :shocked:

dr_evazan22
03-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, I started this thread and Doc E has some nerve stealing my thunder. :mad:

:twisted: :thumbsup:

I will say that I dig Official Pix and have bought several 8x10s and clearance autographs from them. :) Pretty cool stuff. :)
However, they are crazy with their prices on the more elite signatures like Hammill, Hayden, and Sam Jackson.

That business about stopping a "celebrity" from signing free for a fan really ticks me off, it wasn't Jeremy Bulloch by chance, was it ? :confused:

The persons name escapes me right now... She played Taun We...

OfficialPix is/was C2 promotions also right? Isn't that how it was started? Getting the celebs to go to Celebration 2 to sign? Anyway, I got a really cool DV photo and autograph at WizardWorld Philly a couple years ago.

jedi master sal
03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Okay Okay, I hereby throw my hat into the ring.

I officially annouce my candidacy for FanClub Pres.

This is NO joke either.

I really wanted to do this, but couldn't figure out a way to garner a lot of people to resubscribe. I didn't want to ask SSg as I thought it would have been corny.

But hell, now that RS is doing it for Dustin, why not?

There's no doubt I'm just as much a fan, I've posted MANY ideas over my tenure here as to how I'd like to see collecting, the fanclub and a plethora of other Star Wars things could be managed in the future.

Well the future is here!

I belong to this site as well as a few other smaller sites. So I'm going to post my intentions there too.

If anything this will at least drum up interest in this. I'm not going to bash RS or Dustin in particular. I'm just going to hope that people will use my name as a reference when they subscribe and hope for the best.

I go by jedi_master_sal on the official Star Wars site (be sure to include the underscores).
If you need my e-mail address it's jedi_master_sal@star-wars.net
My name is Chris Salerno (Sal is a nickname that I've had for years).

It would be a dream for me to be the fanclub president. Figurehead or not, I would do everything in whatever "power" I had to improve fandom as a whole, with collecting being something I would specifically tackle.

This is a serious post.

If you want to give voice to LFL from the everday collector and not the elite who seemed to have lost touch with us then PLEASE refer me.

Respectfully and Humbly submitted,
-Sal

dr_evazan22
03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
If you can lower taxes and bring down the deficit, you'll have my vote!

If you can't so that, then I'll be happy if you can get the MSRP back down to 4.99.

Seriously though, how long is the contest on for?

2-1B
03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Doc, that would be Rena Owen and I'm not surprised that she would give you a freebie as I got 2 freebies from her through the mail over the last year or so (she sent me a Taun We pic and a regular headshot of herself). :)

I thought maybe it was Bulloch because last time I saw him at a convention (non-sponsored by C2) we got the impression that he didn't care for them...he didn't say it outright but the vibe I got was that he would rather "work" on his own. Again, that was just my impression. :)

jedi master sal
03-23-2006, 12:07 AM
If you can lower taxes and bring down the deficit, you'll have my vote!

If you can't so that, then I'll be happy if you can get the MSRP back down to 4.99.

Seriously though, how long is the contest on for?

IIRC the contest is on til May.