PDA

View Full Version : cutting plastic? HELP!

mark2d2
01-24-2002, 01:56 AM
Okay, I've come across an extra Royal Starship Escape Pod that I want to customize by cutting out the painted over windows... Anybody out there have any advice as to the best way to do this? I really don't want to mess it up.

Thanks.

Also, what's everyone's favorite paint? I'd like to maybe repaint it in a dark, almost forest green . . .

Jargo
01-24-2002, 06:34 AM
Mark2d2, if you use a drill to make a hole in the middle of the 'window' area then use a fine tooth hacksaw blade and cut the most part of the plastic out you then need to invest in some needle files like jewellers use. These are fine and thin tools that you can then do the fine detail with like smoothing edges and getting into any corners or rounding out a sharp angle. A set of needle files should be obtainable at any store that stocks a good range of D.I.Y. tools or in your local hobbyist shop (people who make dolls houses and model train sets use these things a lot)
needle files arte fine enough that they don't rasp or drag the plastic and will leave a relatively smooth edge you can finish with fine grade polish paper. This is like sandpaper but effectively is just fine dust glass particles. very good stuff IMO.

Or get that dremel going and use something like a diamond tip engraving bit to gouge out the main section and then a finer bit for detail ending with a sanding disk and a good polish.

I'm sure more experienced pwer tool users can elaborate for me on exactly which bits are good for plastic.

ACPin
01-24-2002, 11:37 AM
I use my trusty coping saw when cutting through hard plastics. If it's pliable or thin enough, an exacto knife might also do the trick. You should try doing the cut first on another piece, just so you get the hang of it. I also use Testors paints which comes in a variety of colors and they're cheaper at Walmart than at the hobby stores.

Obi-Don
01-27-2002, 06:17 AM
I agree with ACPin on the paint.Very cheap and can be found almost everywhere.

I use the dremel tool the most. Just about any bit will work,but be carefull because the plastic will melt if you go to fast. I use a number of grinding bits to cut away the plastic and a few drill bits to start the holes. Very find sand paper and the files that Emperor Jargo stated will help get the look you want.

As I said before,Go slow.This is very important.Don't rush or you will end messing up what you are working on. I hope this will help you in some way.

pthfnder89
01-30-2002, 12:54 PM
I used to use Testors also, but then I started using a Japanese brand paint from a local hobby store. My brother had a couple bottles from about ten years ago that he used to use on model cars, and when I tried the hobby store, it turns out they still sold it. It works great.

Unfortunately, after about 35 years, that store went out of buisness last month, so Im kinda screwed there. Oh well, back to Testors.

Obi-Don definitely has it right though: go SLOWLY
I have the attention span of a hyperactive 6 year old, so this is the hardest part for me. But I've screwed up enough figures by now that I make myself take it slow. Things come out muuuuch better.

mabudonicus
12-12-2008, 06:54 PM
what kind of plastic do you want to cut?if plastic bottle do you want to cut that is easy but if some plastic that hard to cut you need to use some cutter that using in slicing a plastic huge plastic,

Hell I just wanted to preserve that phrase, I likes it
:beard: Iso&Baws

plastic HUGE plastic

Bel-Cam Jos
12-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Hell I just wanted to preserve that phrase, I likes it

plastic HUGE plasticIs that a line from The Graduate: Special Edition? :pleased:

mabudonicus
12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
kinda like backstroke of the west style, yeah

I am sure the advice was helpful, if a tad late in coming