PDA

View Full Version : I am officially announcing my candidacy for Fan Club President.

jedi master sal
03-22-2006, 11:06 AM
I hereby throw my hat into the ring.

I officially annouce my candidacy for FanClub Pres.

This is NO joke either.

I really wanted to do this, but couldn't figure out a way to garner a lot of people to resubscribe. I didn't want to ask SSG as I thought it would have been corny.

Now that RS is doing it for Dustin, why not?

There's no doubt I'm just as much a fan, I've posted MANY ideas over my tenure here as to how I'd like to see collecting, the fanclub and a plethora of other Star Wars things could be managed in the future.

Well the future is here!

I belong to this site as well as a few other smaller sites. So I'm going to post my intentions there too.

If anything this will at least drum up interest in this. I'm not going to bash RS or Dustin in particular. I'm just going to hope that people will use my name as a reference when they subscribe and hope for the best.

I go by jedi_master_sal on the official Star Wars site. Here is my profile there:
http://blogs.starwars.com/webapps/blogs/view-profile.action?userID=1180601
If you need my e-mail address it's jedi_master_sal@star-wars.net
My name is Chris Salerno (Sal is a nickname that I've had for years).

It would be a dream for me to be the fanclub president. Figurehead or not, I would do everything in whatever "power" I had to improve fandom as a whole, with collecting being something I would specifically tackle.

This is a serious post.

If you want to give voice to LFL from the everday collector and not the elite who seemed to have lost touch with us then PLEASE refer me.

You can go here to subscribe:
https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/GP/SWI/index_us.jsp?cds_page_id=17575&id=1143043509982&lsid=60811005099037763&vid=1&cds_mag_code=SWI

On the next page from there you will be able to enter my e-mail address as your person of reference:
jedi_master_sal@star-wars.net

Here are the contest rules if you want to see them:
http://www.idgentertainment.com/contest/

A referral for me is a vote of confidence that an average everyday fan can affect change and make it too!

This is not publicity for SSG or any other webstie. I am doing this of my own volition. It is NOT out a sense of elitism or overblown self-worth. I truly and honestly want to be the Fan Club President and will work hard in whatever capacity I am afforded to make the Fan Club better, among other things within the fandom if given opportunity to.

Respectfully and Humbly submitted,
-Sal

2-1B
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Good luck Sal, I shall take your name into consideration if I renew. :)

How do you feel about the prequels ? That's issue I'm basing my vote on this year. lol

Not abortion, death penalty, taxes, or war. Prequels. lol lol lol

Slicker
03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd love to help you out Sal but the fan club just doesn't do it for me. Hyperspace was great during Ep. III but, to be honest, what kind of "exclusive" material can they really have now? Nothing until the TV show.

I'll pull for you but unfortunately I can't add to your total.

2-1B
03-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't subscribe for the online garbage as I don't even read that...but I do like the Insider and enjoy nestling in my bed to read it every few months. I figured the cost of a subscription was the same as picking up the mag at the newstand so that is why I subscribe.

Hey there's something to take to the Fan Club if you get "elected" - tell them the whole idea of charging for exclusive web crap/content is a joke. lol

Go back to offering just the magazine subscriptions at a lower price. ;)

El Chuxter
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I look forward to your debates with CaptainSolo1138. He's promised everyone souvenirs, like Chewie's bandolier or Leia's metal bikini. Top that. :p

jedi master sal
03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, one should not make promises they can not keep. So there is nothing to debate. I'll let my record stand as a long-time forumite and moderator here speak for itself.

As for those who don't or choose not to subscribe, I completely understand. That is an issue that I will address if elected. That being having the option of just the magazine, mag/hyperspace, or hyperspace only.

Also, being that I have a marketing background, I will go full force into developing ploans for C4, marketing it, planning the store better, (including having smaller lines), having MORE Star Wars "stuff" there. Opening up some of the restictions that were placed on teh fan booths, etc.

I'll address the relationship between shopstarwars.com and the fanclub and having REAL perks for being a fan club member, like discounts on merchandise, first shot at buying exclusives, etc.

For me I will take this as a very REAL opportunity and commitment to serve the general fandom.

Respectfully,
-Sal

jjreason
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Best of luck, Sal.

jedi master sal
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Best of luck, Sal.

Thanks.

I figured the fan/collecting community needs a voice that's more than just RS's view. It appears that they just might be doing it for the heck of it. While I'm doing it for fun, I'm also committed to improving as much as I can with every opportunity possible.

Hopefuly this isn't the "figurehead" position that other people have eluded it to being. If it is then I'll do that to the best of my ability. If it's more, then I'll be entrenched in the position and do whatever is neccessary to make lasting, effective changes that will make the fan club better and fandom more enjoyable for ALL of us.

-Sal

decadentdave
03-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Why should Dustin, or Sal or anybody else in the running seriously think we should voluntarily give them our subscriptions just so that they can win? What's in it for us?

I'll tell you what's in it for us: Not a damn thing.

The Fan Club only delivers 6 issues full of advertisements and fan fiction trype and joke membership kits full of advertising brochures and forces you to buy a subscription to their worthless Hyperspace website. If that is the best they have to offer the fans who have supported George Lucas and his merchandising empire since the beginning then no thanks.

Sal, I didn't even take your post seriously. I laughed my ***** off. Even if you are serious, give it up.

El Chuxter
03-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I was kidding about CS1138, since I wouldn't vote for that Flornbi if he was the last Flornbi on earth. Sorry, CS1138. :p

I'm pretty in the dark on the whole deal. How does it work?

jedi master sal
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Why should Dustin, or Sal or anybody else in the running seriously think we should voluntarily give them our subscriptions just so that they can win? What's in it for us?

I'll tell you what's in it for us: Not a damn thing.

The Fan Club only delivers 6 issues full of advertisements and fan fiction trype and joke membership kits full of advertising brochures and forces you to buy a subscription to their worthless Hyperspace website. If that is the best they have to offer the fans who have supported George Lucas and his merchandising empire since the beginning then no thanks.

Sal, I didn't even take your post seriously. I laughed my ***** off. Even if you are serious, give it up.

Wow dude that's harsh. What's in it for You? I can only state what I'll try to accomplish. If you're looking for someone who is proactive and will speak up to LFL that's me. If you have certain gripes about the fanclub and want them heard and passed on to LFL, then I'm your guy.

So what's in it for you? Hmm at least a CHANCE to right some current wrongs with the fan club as it stands right now. Even if it's not me, I would hope that anyone who gets the position doesn't take it lightly as a figurehead position.

That's the impression I'm getting that others think this is. Even so, KNOW that I have the fortitude to call LFL. I have in the past about other things. Mary Franklin knows me personally from my many contributions to Hyperspace articles already so I have a good rapport with her.

What are you getting? You're getting a season Star Wars fan who has a proven track record of dedictaion to all things Star Wars, who will "fight" for the little guy, who will take this seriously and will work hard to get things done.

You're not giving me a subscription at all. What you would be giving me is your referral which counts as a vote.

Truth be told if you've got so much against the fanclub then that's the biggest reason WHY to vote for me. I will do EVERYTHING I possible can to make it better. I've outlined several things above, but if there are other concerns people would want addressed, all you would need do is ask me and I would bring those up to LFL.

I won't just "give it up." It's a strong desire that I have to get this. Even if I don't I will have some satisfaction that I chased the dream. What of those who don't do that? You're always left to wonder what could have been.

Heck, I've tried and failed at things in the past, but I've always learned something from those failures and have grown stronger because of it. Before anyone puts me down for those failures I want you to look up Abraham Lincoln. He failed at MANY things before becoming a success and one of our (United States) most beloved Presidents of all time.

No, I'm not saying I'm Lincoln, but why shouldn't I strive to be like him? Failure is success without the "pay-off."

Be a naysayer if you wish, I'm just asking for your referral.

To quote a certain Jedi Master, "Do or do not, there is no try." I AM doing this. Whether or not I win, is a matter left to everyone else to decide.

Chux to answer your question basically you subscribe or resubscribe to Hyperspace, on the second page or the process you should see a space to add an e-mail name for referal. Placing my e-mail ( jedi_master_sal@star-wars.net ) there is a "vote" for me.

Whomever wins gets a guest column in an issue of the Insider, a trip to San Diego to Comicon (and yes I'd take pictures to post) and a few other small amenities. It's not really that much, but what I'm asking of everyone who subscribes is not that much either.
-Sal

decadentdave
03-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Well Sal, what can I say? Spoken like a true Politician.

Good luck (you're going to need it from the looks of all of the support Dusty has backing him on RS from the 501st and several other sites.)

jjreason
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
What with all the trash talk flying around about how useless the fan club magazine and Hyperspace web access are - it might only take 2 or 3 votes to win this thing, Sal. :D

Turbowars
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I hope you will Sal, but I wont be any help dude. See I think the whole idea of selling more subscriptions than the other guy to win is very childish and frankly pure bullcrap!. The Mag and Hiperspace is crap and I have no need for another mag in the house.

decadentdave
03-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't you think it's just a little bit strange that just this week we have Dustin Roberts vigorously campaigning to be prez and then we have Sal here throwing in his candidacy? They announced this contest how long ago and all of the sudden these guys are suddenly jumping on the bandwagon?

Here's what I think: The Fan Club announced a contest to the winner of the most subscriptions. There was lackluster response. Now, in a desperate attempt to drum up new subscriptions before they expire, the Fan Club approaches Dustin Roberts at Rebelscum because he is connected with the Fan Base and helps promote a well-known and popular website to gain an unfair advantage to acquire more referrals than the average Joe Fan Club member.

Since when did this contest turn into a nomination ballot? It was supposed to be a free-for-all. Unfortunately, like real politics, it gives the advantage to those in positions of PR and the media to campaign and win the popular vote.

That's why I didn't take Sal seriously. I thought he was making a humorous retort to Dustin's spontaneous candidacy ala the other thread posted about "Overinflated sense of self."

jedi master sal
03-23-2006, 01:25 AM
The idea behind the contest is to drum up subscriptions for Hyperspace. I've been trying to do that since day one, on my own locally without approaching my online friends. Again I thought it would be tacky too. So thats' why I didn't do it. Since I saw that Dustin from RS is doing it, well I thought I'd make it more public that I want to be the next Pres. I have nothign against Dustin. I don't know him. I don't weven have much against RS, though I was snubbed there once, that was a couple of years ago and it was a little matter that isn't important to the grand scale of things.

JJR-thanks, I wish that were true, but as of the last time I checked dustin had a few more votes than that..

TW, I agree to a point too. But it's the only way one of us regular guys is going to get a shot at this, so I'm taking it.

Dave, your making this into something that it's not. You and I have had our differences in the past. If you don't like this whole thing then why not just stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may. The pessimistic attitude doesn't look favorably upon you and you're just bringing this down for no reason. Really man, just chill. I understand you don't like Hyperspace or the contest or even me, but it's no reason to seemingly disrupt this process. If you don't like that I'm running then throuw your vote to whomever you choose. If you're not going to subscribe at all then you've really got no voice in this.

I'm trying to appeal to those who 1) know me, 2) those who would like to see a positive change, 3) those who might be on the cusp of subscribing and don't know who to give their vote to. For those who are so fed up with Hyperspace, if you don't want to subscribe I understand. Were I to win and you want to make recommendations, I'll stillpass them along to LFL.

If one looks upon something as sour grapes, it will BE sour grapes. However if one has a positive outlook even when faced with strong adversity, even in the face of defeat, he is made stronger...

-Sal

decadentdave
03-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Sal,

You are taking this whole thing more seriously than I. Like I said, I thought you were kidding but it is quite obvious now that you weren't. My apologies. Frankly, I could give a crap about the Fan Club anymore because I'm not renewing my membership but I do find this whole "contest" to be more than a little suspicious. Not towards you but like I said, those with the backing of popular internet PR... well... hmmm....

That's why I'm not playing this game nor am I going to support it.

Best of luck to you Sal. I hope you win and can deliver on your promises. You'd be the first President to actually accomplish that.

MTFBWY

figrin bran
03-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Sal,

i don't want to subscribe but i do want to wish you the best of luck and that i do believe you would be the best candidate for the job! :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Thank you for your comments now Dave. And thanks Figrin.

Kidhuman
03-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Sal, I am in the same boat as others. I am not joining but wish you the best of luck.

CaptainSolo1138
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I was kidding about CS1138, since I wouldn't vote for that Flornbi if he was the last Flornbi on earth. Sorry, CS1138.Eat it, Richards.

Guess who isn't getting Dengars cod piece now, ya Rusk?! HA HA! You! I'm gonna put it on ebay or something and sell it a an XBox360 mod.

As for having to buy a subscription to Hyperspace to vote, I'd rather rub the poop in my eyes myself and just save the money.

I'm officially announcing myself as the poorman's candidate! If you don't want to spend money on Hyperspace, vote for FF...err...CS1138!:p

jedi master sal
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
I just figured it out, for just 11 cents a day, you too can help a poor Star Wars collector become the next Fan Club President...

Heck I could fart and loose more than that in a day...

Just trying to keep some humor about this, heh heh.
-Sal

Jargo
03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Well I couldn't give a rats *** about hyperspace or the fan club or anything lucas or star wars. And I just deleted the bookmark from my computer so i'll never be tmpted to go to RS again after looking at their main page and finding half the ****ing page is crowing thanks and buttlicking to the supporters of their ****ing ridiculous campaign. for ****s sake it's not even important and those assclowns are behaving like it's something that will change the world. ****ing retards. Get a ****ing life!