PDA

View Full Version : Who's watching Doctor Who?

Pages : [1] 2 3

plasticfetish
03-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Quick post because the new episode starts in about 10 minutes for me, but is anyone else watching and what do you think?

I was a big fan of the show back in the days of Tom Baker reruns here in America, and though I've only caught a few new episodes here and there since (plus that TV film thing), I've always been a fan.

So far, after having seen the first two episodes (this is Doctor #9 here on Sci-Fi) I think the show is good. Seems like typical Doctor Who.

2-1B
03-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Doctor who? I didn't catch his name. :confused:

plasticfetish
03-25-2006, 02:25 AM
You of all people should know "Who" I'm talking about Mr. Glitter.

2-1B
03-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Gary Glitter?

<-------That's Phil Spector.

plasticfetish
03-25-2006, 03:50 AM
My bad... I confuse that photo with this (http://newsfeed.tcm.ie/images/people/garyglitterPA.jpg) photo all the time.

Jargo
03-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I've seen some of the Christopher ccleston Dr. but i don't like him. he's too false. manic. over acts. though billy Piper puts in a good turn as his assistant. if you're only just getting the Chris E. dr. episodes I won't spoil it for you but I will say I think the writer, (who wrote the UK original of Queer as folk which was turned into your longer running show which isn't as good IMHO), isn't that good. He gets in all the right elements but the episodes lack the tension of older Dr. Who incarnations. he also writes in some horribly mawkish moments. but it's good clean fun I suppose. And does have better effects at least. it's cool to see some of the older bad guys turn up as well as having some new ones.
I'm still having trouble getting used to the new T.A.R.D.I.S. interior though. It's funky, well designed but after all those years of the pokey white version, it seems odd that suddenly there's a huge cathedral like interior. And yes I know the T.A.R.D.I.S. is always malfunctioning so anything is possible.
just to let you know the tenth doctor is much better. more in keeping with the werdness of previous doctors. Mmmm and Captain Jack is getting his own spin off show. Torchwood it's called.

bobafrett
03-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I attended a DR. Who convention many years back. I used to try to stay up late to watch the show on PBS, but they would play it late Sunday night, and I would almost always fall asleep. I loved the idea, and got to meet my favorite Doctor, Jon Pertwee at the Con, he entered a door right behind me, I turned around and shook his hand. I got a beautiful poster from the Tardis 21 convention with all the actors signatures on it. I wish I had kept it in better shape during my many moves.

2-1B
03-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Slicker resembles T.A.R.D.I.S . . . well, the first 4 letters anyway.

JediTricks
03-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I watched the first 3 eps yesterday, they were ok enough, silly but some actual sci-fi thought put into them, and The Doctor isn't some perfect hero character like so many US sci fi shows would have him be. I found out last night something I really didn't want to know though about something that happens down the line, normally it wouldn't be an issue but... it is.

Jargo
03-26-2006, 05:59 PM
ooooh i'm curious now JT.

I'm liking the new Dr. Who ction figures. 5" tall. They aint the best but there's been some truly hideous merch for the show in the past and this is top notch compared to the older stuff. there's even a radio controlled five inch dalek. Fab!

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM
I didn't know there were figures. Got a link? I never dug the Daleks, so that might be a tough sell for me. My grandmother is a major Dr Who fan BTW.

The thing I found out is...

(highlight)

at the end of this season the Doctor goes from 9th incarnation to 10th, this current actor leaves so soon. Knowing he's only got 2 more lives left feels weird.

(end highlight)

Which you likely already knew.

plasticfetish
03-28-2006, 01:00 AM
The BBC site has this great big Doctor Who section with photos, episode guides and fun Flash games. (The Dalek game is fun.)

I agree that it's weird knowing he's only a few lives from the end.

(More in a bit, I've gotta run out...)

LusiferSam
03-28-2006, 01:01 AM
I started watching this on Sci Fi last week. Having never seen any of the episodes before I had zero expectations. I enjoy it so I'll keep watching, if I can remember to (I normally do other stuff Friday nights at that time).

The end of the world episode I thought was pretty cool. Some parts were real well done and really made me think. Other were down right lame. Oh well that's TV for you.

plasticfetish
03-28-2006, 07:03 AM
I've seen some of the Christopher Eccleston Dr. but i don't like him. he's too false. manic. over acts.I noticed that, and at first I wasn't sure if I liked him or not, but by the end of the third episode (we just had the one with Dickens, "The Unquiet Dead") I think I'm warming up to him. It's just weird having little details about him leaked out slowly. I don't think it's bad, but it makes me think, "OK. Let's get to it... we know who you are."

He gets in all the right elements but the episodes lack the tension of older Dr. Who incarnations. he also writes in some horribly mawkish moments. but it's good clean fun I suppose.I've picked up on that also, but I've been willing to see if things pick up a bit and become more exciting. Figure it's a new show and it'll need time to get rolling a bit. As far as the sentimental stuff goes... yeah, some of it's almost creepy, but I've always thought the show has a kind of creepy undertone to it. Wandering through time trolling for girly helpers is a bit odd. The fact that they're exchanging flirty glances by the end of the first or second episode is too.

I'm still having trouble getting used to the new T.A.R.D.I.S. interior though. It's funky, well designed but after all those years of the pokey white version, it seems odd that suddenly there's a huge cathedral like interior.Yeah. I'd looked at pictures before we started getting the show over here, and wondered about that. (Can't remember what it looked like for that TV movie with the 8th Doctor.)

I didn't know there were figures. Got a link?What do you mean "never dug" the Daleks? (I think I like you're grandmother better than you now.) ;) Had no idea about 5" figures either -- assumed those wobbly Dapol things were all there was -- but I looked it up, and...

http://www.kultureshock.co.uk/v3/catalog/category_515_Dr_Who_2006.html

...not too bad at all. They're from a company called "Character Options" who I don't know much about.

Here's another pic...

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/doctor-who-figures-l.jpg

I used to try to stay up late to watch the show on PBS, but they would play it late Sunday night, and I would almost always fall asleepMe too. For years that's the only way we got 'em here. Also why I never saw much of the 6th and 7th Doctors, as I was more than likely out doing "something" else instead. ;)

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
What do you mean "never dug" the Daleks? (I think I like you're grandmother better than you now.) ;) Bite me, PF! :p Daleks suck, they look like traffic barriers or something you'd find at the end of a runway to keep airplanes from flying off-path, they're ridiculous-looking, it's like if the Borg assimilated mailboxes, like some sort of set piece found on a Terry Gilliam sci-fi film. Any villain that can be defeated by climbing a set of stairs is unworthy of praise.

Had no idea about 5" figures either -- assumed those wobbly Dapol things were all there was -- but I looked it up, and...Thanks for the link, Cassandra there is dead-on, Rose looks pretty accurate, the rest look very toy-y.

Jargo
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
OK just saw the K9 episode. with the tenth Dr. and it was - ish ish. had a few moments but not that good over all. K9 was cute if a robot box shaped like a dog can be cute at all. And I'm with JT in thinking the daleks are prety lame. The Emperor dalek only ever makes threats, the daleks themselves though evolving as decades of tv roll by are still just trashcans with sink plungers on the front.

the sculpt on the tenth dr. figure is odd. from one angle it's dead on likeness and from another it's pretty bad.

there's a Dr. Who exhibition of props and costumes coming to my neighbourhood in september. I'm gonna see if I can go. they say there'll be stuff that hasn't been seen on TV so I'll try and take pics if I can. Yeah, a while off yet but should be interesting. Especially as he place the stuff is being exhibited is in one of the roughest parts of town. Think docklands. think industrial. think run down housing and bad roads. think prostitutes and junkies. then think old river ferry terminus converted into exhibition space.

classy venue. :)

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
I've watched every episode of the current run on US television, so I only just met Captain Jack. I've liked Doctor number 9, but I never saw any Dr. Who but this one. Most of the episodes so far haven't held too much interest for me, and my biggest reason for watching it is that my brother has seen all of the first season and told me to give it a chance. The episode with Dickens was okay, and I liked the episode where Rose goes back to save her father, but I really enjoyed Empty Child and it's second half (I know the title was something like The Doctor Can Dance). That two-parter was excellent. Harkness held no special interest for me until the last few minutes which made the character for me. His emergency martini was exactly what the scene and character called for.

JediTricks
05-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Tonight's ep was ok, I liked the character interactions, but the ending was a bit too deus ex machina for my tastes. I did like how the Doctor could see right through the villain's actions and behavior though, that was slick. Mickey was kinda funny but he's really outlived his welcome at this point, I hope that's the end of it.

plasticfetish
05-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I did like how the Doctor could see right through the villain's actions and behavior though, that was slick.Funny them starting to make the Doctor a bit more slick, with the catching the dart and all of that... a bit Jedi like. ;) That whole episode was good, but a bit too "TV drama" for me. I can see what Jarg... errr... Mr. Daddypants was saying about the mawkish moments now.

Just the same, we're enjoying the show a lot. The kid really loves it. Last week the, "Are you my mommy?" freaked him out, but he's pretty jazzed up about it all.

Any villain that can be defeated by climbing a set of stairs is unworthy of praise.Yeah, but they can fly! ;) I like the Daleks. They've got a nice persistent Zombie like quality -- a trash can Frankenstein sort of thing.

Jargo
05-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Mickey was kinda funny but he's really outlived his welcome at this point, I hope that's the end of it.

:Ponder: ermmmmm.......

Interestingly, it was Christopher Eccleston's decision to leave the show. the whole typecasting issue I believe. I would imagine for David Tenant who takes over the role it's more a labour of love. He genuinely appears to be a fan of the show from it's earlier days. And he's constantly praising Russel T Davies the chief writer. He's doing ok with the character too. Much more of the Doctor that we're used to. Less manic. hehe

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Ooh, they can slowly fly up stairs now, that's real menacing! :p

The blitz zombie one was very creepy indeed, I think they stretched the horror aspect as far as it could go without just being straightup horrorshow fare, it worked well yet still kept it in the realm of sci-fi.

Yeah, I figured Mickey would probably return despite my opinion, not really sure why they're so attached to the character though. If they do him as an old man, that could be interesting (they did him as a kid for laughs), if they already did and we haven't gotten it yet, don't tell me too much. ;)

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
If they do him as an old man, that could be interesting (they did him as a kid for laughs), if they already did and we haven't gotten it yet, don't tell me too much. ;)

Did you see the episode that played here in the States where Rose went back and tried to save her father? A young Mickey was in it if you missed the episode or missed him. I have to admit, I'm not too keen on Mickey showing up, but he did make me laugh this time when she ran off again.

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Did you see the episode that played here in the States where Rose went back and tried to save her father? A young Mickey was in it if you missed the episode or missed him. I have to admit, I'm not too keen on Mickey showing up, but he did make me laugh this time when she ran off again.
Yeah, I saw the ep, that's what I was referring to when I said "they did him as a kid for laughs".

Phantom-like Menace
05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I saw the ep, that's what I was referring to when I said "they did him as a kid for laughs".

For some reason, as many times as I read this, every time I read this, I read something completely different than what you wrote. It seems my mind was doing some crazy cut and paste job. You, sir, have my complete apologies.

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Ha ha! I win!!! ;)

Jargo
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
awww, he's so nice. makes me want to bear hug him and ruffle his hair. flick his ears.....

I totally missed the recentest (sic delib) two parter. return of someone from the doctors past. I'll say no more. though the prior story, 'the girl in the fireplace' may be the weakest episode yet. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to achieve with it but it fails badly. It actually looks like the cast were genuinely embarrassed to be part of that episode.

oh I just watched the christmas invasion episode where we meet DR. 10. and there's a weird little bit where you get to see a small section of another part of the tardis. and I thought, "there, that wasn't so hard. how about more scenes like that? glimpses of the cavernous interior. why wate money on cgi foes when they could spend an entire episode exploring the tardis like no-one has ever done."

practical set elements mixed with digital matte paintings. Of all the places within the DR's universe, the tardis is the one place he seems reluctant to explore. or spend any time in.

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Plus, they showed more of the Tardis in that weak Fox made-for-TV movie from the late '90s, so they could really expand upon that.

Jargo
06-04-2006, 11:07 PM
oooh this seasonhas a great two parter. classic doctor who and BBC. some nice sets and cgi.

there's also some hammy acting, really cheap effects, and one particular effect that had me laughing out loud. especially having just watched a 'making of' on that new poseidon adventure remake movie.

highly enjoyable. Think it was episode eight tonight. The new doctor is starting to grate on me a little though.

Though i have heard that there may be something happening to shake up the dynamic. Ho effective or noticeable that is I'll wait and see.

Jargo
06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Actually I just realised that aside from animated shows like family guy, south park and drawn together, dr. who is the only show I get excited about. I just caught myself mentally rubbing my hands with glee because it's only two days to the conclusion of the current story. It's so rare that I get involved with anything like this. and that's good. isn't it?

and I see series two of the figures now sports a cyberman, and the tardis playset now comes with rose and two daleks. looks like cassandra's getting a companion and there will be two further cybermen. my favourite item due out is the 2.5" remote control K9, the very idea of remote control that small is so silly it really entices me.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 09:33 PM
The one thing that bugs me is how far ahead the UK is to us, they've got a whole season on us so sometimes when discussions about the show come up, big spoilers will come out totally by accident, it's totally reasonable too but the scheduling has been a slight burden. At least watching the show is fun, I don't want to wait for more, I want tomorrow's season finale to be great and then the next week onto season 2.

Jargo
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
to be fair, I might have spoiled a little bit by revealing names but other than a discussion on the merits of the tenth doc I don't think I've given too much away.

I try to be careful. no specifics. aside from names. mere teases.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 12:20 AM
And I appreciate that, but you shouldn't HAVE to be careful like this, lord knows when we Americans get stuff like this first we go blathering it all around the internet all willy-nilly. ;) You shouldn't HAVE to be careful, they should just make it available to both countries around the same time (that applies to anything like this really, BSG is a good example).

Phantom-like Menace
06-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Just as an observation, not as a challenge to anything else being said, I actually like that there are shows out there that we Americans get after another country. As a whole, we Americans show no compassion for others who have to wait for our shows. I think we need to be reminded more than we are that there are almost two hundred countries out there that are not us.

plasticfetish
06-09-2006, 04:23 AM
I try to be careful. no specifics. aside from names. mere teases.Ehh... I've been going to the BBC Web site to read the reviews that those little kids write about each episode anyway. :)

Jargo
06-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Those are funny as hell. I like the little snippets - what are they called - tardisodes or something, like a wee teaser for the coming episode but actually a sort of part of the episode, a prologue if you will.

Dr. Who confidential is the companion show that airs after the episode to explore the behind the scenes stuff, pretty interesting. do you get that too? a half hour every week of extras in essence.

The only thing I dislike about the show in general is the trailer for the next episode after the current episode, I think the trailers give too much away. I know they have to keep reeling viewers in but a bit more tease and fewer spoilers would be cool. part of the joy of the classic era shows was not knowing what was going to happen, just a cliffhanger ending.

maybe it's just me. maybe it's tv in general.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Sci-fi gets a pretty intelligent crowd for its audience, so using the holdback time to teach them a lesson seems like preaching to th choir. Now if American Idol aired in the UK a week before here, there'd be riots.

Dr. Who confidential is the companion show that airs after the episode to explore the behind the scenes stuff, pretty interesting. do you get that too? a half hour every week of extras in essence.AAAAH! No, we don't get that, that sounds awesome! I think they are holding it back to put on the DVDs coming out here soon.

The only thing I dislike about the show in general is the trailer for the next episode after the current episode, I think the trailers give too much away. I know they have to keep reeling viewers in but a bit more tease and fewer spoilers would be cool. part of the joy of the classic era shows was not knowing what was going to happen, just a cliffhanger ending.

maybe it's just me. maybe it's tv in general.Yeah, that's an issue about TV in general these days. We almost never get trailers after the ep though, they don't air for days until the ads roll by on other shows. The season finale 2-parter did however have a trailer... they showed almost nothing. :p

Phantom-like Menace
06-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Sci-fi gets a pretty intelligent crowd for its audience, so using the holdback time to teach them a lesson seems like preaching to th choir. Now if American Idol aired in the UK a week before here, there'd be riots.

I don't know if intelligence has any special power over ego, but as far as teaching lessons go, I'm sure American Idol was sent as a plague and we just misunderstood its purpose.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Intelligence at least lets the person consider the possibility of being wrong, arrogance assumes he's always right.

Last night's season finale was good as exciting Dr Who TV but a bit heavy on the deus ex machina scale, and then the Doctor... :(

Jargo
06-10-2006, 09:37 PM
What about poor Lynda with a Y? Bless her. And jack, poor wee lamb. he lost both of them, the Doctor and Rose. She was just toying with his emotions the fickle cow lol.

We had the next episode at xmas as a stand alone. Wonder if it'll be tagged onto the beginning of season two and then straight into that for you guys?

Phantom-like Menace
06-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Intelligence at least lets the person consider the possibility of being wrong, arrogance assumes he's always right.

I'll go with that. I woulnd't take my arguments too much to heart. It's almost a tradition with me of disagreeing in some small way with your posts. And I say that in jest, of course.

Last night's season finale was good as exciting Dr Who TV but a bit heavy on the deus ex machina scale, and then the Doctor... :(

Did you get a Jean Grey as Phoenix vibe from it? Or was I the only one? It could have actually been kind of cool if Rose continued as an avatar of sorts for the T.A.R.D.I.S. That could have opened some interesting story opportunities if she and it shared a mind.

As for the doctor, my brothers have watched some of the second season episodes and they say he's okay. I've thought for a while I would loathe the new guy, and when they showed him at the end of the episode my first thought was, "He sucks." And just as I thought that, my roommate walked into the room, took one look at him and said, "He sucks." He looks vaguely like Richard Hammond from Top Gear (speaking of British shows this American really wants to watch and can't) and Braniac. Dude, if Hamster were Dr. Who, I would have to watch that. T.A.R.D.I.S. would be a Porsche though. . . .

plasticfetish
06-11-2006, 03:40 AM
I knew that we'd be giving the "new guy" a fair chance when we also saw him >> here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barty_Crouch_Jr.) recently. :)

Did you get a Jean Grey as Phoenix vibe from it?That's funny... my wife said that too.

Jargo
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
ooh just remembered. after season one there was a brief mini episode on a telethon for childrens charities on the BBC, only about ten minutes worth but it actually follows on from the season finale. then you get the Xmas stand alone then you get season two.
if you count the web/cellphone tardisodes prologue segments too then each episode comes in at 46/47 minutes long.
I'm actually hoping to edit the tardisodes onto the episodes i have on my PC and add the telethon segment to the end of the season one finale.

Did i mention that I discovered that the producer of the CGI department is an old mate of mine? I was at college with him. Probably far too self important now to bother with me. Still cool though coz at theatre school he was a lousy actor. nice to see he's got somewhere in the industry though. even if its off at a tangent.

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
What about poor Lynda with a Y? Bless her. And jack, poor wee lamb. he lost both of them, the Doctor and Rose. She was just toying with his emotions the fickle cow lol. Jack's advice sucked, he deserves to get it for what he convinced his "troops" into doing knowing they'd blow it... plus he got the big redux (even if they did just dump him there), so maybe he'll make another run at the gang. Lynda got the short end of the stick, apparently windows in space are extremely wimpy and Daleks are full of revenge emotions over nobodies. :p

We had the next episode at xmas as a stand alone. Wonder if it'll be tagged onto the beginning of season two and then straight into that for you guys?That'd be cool, almost necessary I suppose since the season starts this fall I think.

ooh just remembered. after season one there was a brief mini episode on a telethon for childrens charities on the BBC, only about ten minutes worth but it actually follows on from the season finale.7 minutes, so no way they'll air it here, I bet it'll get relegated to the DVD release.

Cool you know someone on the new show's team, especially of such importance. :cool:

Did you get a Jean Grey as Phoenix vibe from it? Or was I the only one? It could have actually been kind of cool if Rose continued as an avatar of sorts for the T.A.R.D.I.S. That could have opened some interesting story opportunities if she and it shared a mind.I totally did get that Jean Grey/Phoenix thing out of it (not the movie version of course ;)). I like the idea of Rose being tied into the TARDIS as well, that could have some interesting implications - and just because it was taken out of her doesn't mean there couldn't be some change in that status in a future ep.

As for the doctor, my brothers have watched some of the second season episodes and they say he's okay. I've thought for a while I would loathe the new guy, and when they showed him at the end of the episode my first thought was, "He sucks." And just as I thought that, my roommate walked into the room, took one look at him and said, "He sucks." He looks vaguely like Richard Hammond from Top Gear (speaking of British shows this American really wants to watch and can't) and Braniac. Dude, if Hamster were Dr. Who, I would have to watch that. T.A.R.D.I.S. would be a Porsche though. . . .I got the same feeling, but tried not to voice it. Ultimately I thought "too young, too fraile/thin" though. I see what you mean with Richard Hammond, Top Gear was on the Discovery Channel for a while, it was great. I caught a few eps of Brainiac on G4 at my sister's place recently (my cable company doesn't have it), not as good.

Jargo
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Ooooh so want to respond but can't or i'd spoil things for you.

I've been digging up older versions of the theme music. adaptations, terrible renditions, really odd but entrancing renditions. The version from the '80's is quite funny. loads of synth sounds and slightly funked up. I still like the original theme best though even if it is a bit slow. the whole sound of it is haunting and spooky and really set the tone for the show. which i tended to watch from behind a cushion or the sofa.
The new theme all orchestral actually seems a bit flat to me. like the theme to star trek DS9 was really dull. Dirge like.

it's weird hearing you talk bout british shows like top gear. I dunno, it's so british it seems odd that it would air over there. but then the show format is global really, just the presenters are british. I hate Jeremy Clarkson though. I think his head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Hammond is cool though.

Phantom-like Menace
06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
it's weird hearing you talk bout british shows like top gear. I dunno, it's so british it seems odd that it would air over there. but then the show format is global really, just the presenters are british. I hate Jeremy Clarkson though. I think his head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Hammond is cool though.

Top Gear is great. I'm angry Discovery Channel dropped it here. I'm not much of a car guy--I don't even drive--but those guys are just crazy enough to really entertain. I actually describe Jeremy Clarkson's appeal as being the fact that he's such a . . . I don't want to circumvent the filters . . . I'll say jerk. It's the epitome of the saying about television allowing you to be entertained in your home by people you wouldn't want in your home.

Jargo
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Probably could do with a separate thread to talk about other import shows. I'm interested in how much UK tv you guys get as compared to how much US tv we get. And moreover what you guys think about the different production values.

JediTricks
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
the whole sound of it is haunting and spooky and really set the tone for the show. which i tended to watch from behind a cushion or the sofa.What is that? I read that somewhere that a shared British experience of watching Dr Who while hiding behind the couch. It's a little freaky but I never found it THAT scary... of course, I didn't pay good attention either. ;)

The new theme all orchestral actually seems a bit flat to me. like the theme to star trek DS9 was really dull. Dirge like.Wow, really? I don't see that at all, I like the new theme, it's exciting and "different", very sci-fi interesting.

it's weird hearing you talk bout british shows like top gear. I dunno, it's so british it seems odd that it would air over there. but then the show format is global really, just the presenters are british. I hate Jeremy Clarkson though. I think his head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Hammond is cool though.When they aired it here, they had bumps they shot special for the US audience, explaining why Jaguar wasn't releasing their diesel in the States, and such. It was weird, same cast and a different group of audience members standing around like they always do just for "you in the States". :p

Jeremy Clarkson is interesting, I think he's my favorite one because of the mix of enthusiasm and boldness and saying what he really thinks. James May is the one I think could use a personality transplant - but it was kinda sad to see him live his childhood dream of driving an Lamborghini Countach only to find out it's awful.

You know what's not global about the show? The Stig, what's the mysterious driver about and what's the name? It's kinda funny, but it feels to my American ears like there's a piece of the joke I'm not getting.

Top Gear is great. I'm angry Discovery Channel dropped it here.Yeah, me too. I just read that they're available online the day after they air, I only wish I had my PC networked to my TV so I wouldn't have to sit in this horrid chair to watch.

And moreover what you guys think about the different production values.And that brings me back to Dr Who, before this series, I couldn't get into Dr Who, the production values on the old TARDIS especially but the show in general left me too cold, too much overlooking some cheap-looking set or creature or effect. The current series still has some stuff that could be better, but they're finally putting real effort forward and it makes it accessable I think.

Jargo
06-12-2006, 10:18 PM
well back in the seventies we didn't have much good stuf for kids, save for space 1999 and planet of the apes. Doctor Who had spooky music and i guess it really was alien due to there being nothing like it on tv. I think the giant spiders and the rubber aliens and the daleks played on our imaginations so much because it was all we really had. and we didn't have the sophisticated movie references we do now. I mean, if we'd had stuff like Buffy back then it would have wiped the floor with Who. Or maybe we just had sadistic parents who used the monsters as bogeymen under the bed threats to get us to quiet down and sleep.

James May IS dull. he bores the pants off me but at the same time I feel sorry for him. he seems like a guy who was bullied mercilessly at school or something. he's not a natural for TV though. Hammond and Clarkson could do the show alone really....

Old Dr. Who ws always very bright. The white of the tardis bothered me. the differences betwen the studio shot stuff and the location shot stuf was too stark. with the modern cameras and VT equipment the whole show has a unified look and is far better lit. The BBC have taken a bit of an American approach and used lots of blue and amber filters. gives it a richer look. Plus Vis effects are much improved. The writers seem to be going somewhere with the overall story arc rather than the sporadic spotty patchy way they used to handle the show. The writing is looser too. Old Dr. Who was very dramatic and stagey. This new incarnation of the show is definitely more filmic. better paced, better acted, more humorous and ultimately more entertaining. It has to be or else I wouldn't be raving about it or glued to it. Or downloading every episode as it airs almost. (slight exaggeration there)

I suppose also, when faced with the daily barrage of mind numbing reality tv and depressing documentaries and samey samey tv shows, DW arrived at just the right time to give us Brits something fantastical again. pure escapism and homegrown. familiar enough to give us easy entry to the territory, and different enough to be fresh and interesting and hold our attention. The undercurrent of soap storylining with Rose and Jackie is an interesting departure from the doctor just having assistants who ask questions and do what they're told or play damsel in distress, Rose is a bit of that but also she's a fighter, strong and feisty. independent minded. the show is about her journey as much as it is the doctor's. and yeah she does damsel in distress but it's not quite as pathetic as the assistant chicks who scream a lot and acts dumb in the old old show.

have we discussed Captain Jack getting his own spin off? Torchwood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/17/torch.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/10/17/25634.shtml

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
I dunno, it seems so weird. I guess here in the US, the scary TV is never aimed towards children, so we have no concept of that kind of shared experience.

James May IS dull. he bores the pants off me but at the same time I feel sorry for him. he seems like a guy who was bullied mercilessly at school or something. he's not a natural for TV though. Hammond and Clarkson could do the show alone really....AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Poor James May, he's gone from "dull" to "picked on all throughout school years". I think he probably is necessary to break the high energy from the other 2 guys, keep the show from building too fast and petering out by the end. I got to admit, James May is the kind of guy most folks think of when they think of BBC television. :p

The writers seem to be going somewhere with the overall story arc rather than the sporadic spotty patchy way they used to handle the show. The writing is looser too. Old Dr. Who was very dramatic and stagey. This new incarnation of the show is definitely more filmic. better paced, better acted, more humorous and ultimately more entertaining. It has to be or else I wouldn't be raving about it or glued to it.I definitely agree, the old show felt like most of the other BBC stuff we got here, very as you put it "stagey", it seemed to work here for the older generation who were used to radio where everything was done that way, but not for the American TV generation. Luckily, while the US wasn't paying attention, it seems like British television caught up with the times - must have been all those new channels, you guys have what, 5 now? ;) The new series feels alive and capable and not fearful that it's going to get cancelled all the time, they're willing to put their best foot forward.

Rose is interesting and not just a cardboard cutout, and the Doctor too feels more "whole", both by recognizing her strengths and also by his very alien response to situations, by seeing what the rest of us don't.

have we discussed Captain Jack getting his own spin off? Torchwood. No, we haven't! Boy is that a surprise! Talk about left-field. I guess the character caught on pretty well, though the cheap bastages are setting it right back in modern day Cardiff.

Jargo
06-13-2006, 11:23 PM
The modern day part bothers me more than the location. Although the location is also going to need some serious explaining. The time slot is odd too. says to me there'll be adult language and gore. Intimate physicality. Though it's been established that Captain Jack isn't fussy about who he beds. Omnisexual is how I'd describe him. or just plain slutty lol They'd better have Jack's ship i the new show. losing that would be a waste. As for Jack catching on, I think the episode with naked Jack and the robots was what did it. "Ladies your ratings just went up" probably true of the Dr. Who the show there. He was getting too racey for Who, which is a family show, on primetime BBC1. By the end of season one jack had become very much his own character, with his own following. He was stealing the limelight from the Doctor. Though I do think it's a shame there'll be no crossover between Who and Torchwood. I think I'd sooner have had Torchwood be a pre-watershed show that could tie in and crossover. The Torchwood organisation sounds a hell of a lot more exciting than U.N.I.T.

Changing tack - A point I thought of is if the TARDIS is a bit broken as we know it is with the chameleon circuit stuck so the outside always looks like a 1950's police telephone box, and the thing keeps ending up in odd places because the time travel mechanisms are a bit broken and unreliable too, how can the doctor keep finding his way back to the exact same estate Rose lives on? And in the same time era. That's a little incongruous. Yeah I know, I'm nitpicking. But repeated viewing does that to you.

Like Clive from season one episode one, why introduce him as a guy obsessed with the doctor and gatherer of all that data on the doctor only to then have him killed off in the second half of the episode? And if in fact he wasn't killed, because we don't see him after the Auton aims the gun and fires, why has Rose not thought to go back to him for more info about the Doctor? Considering how mysterious the doc's being with her about his past. Clive is the one character besides Rose who really knows anything about the Doctor. Just seems odd to have gone to all the trouble of creating Clive and that whole mass of data in the shed at the bottom of the garden, then deliberately have him there to be killed by the Auton outside the department store. what was all that about? Unless that data Clive collated is going to be used against the Doctor at some future point.

In the old show one of the returning foes was The Master. Who always managed to evade the Doctor when it came to being aprehended. I don't remember now if The Master was ever dealt with finally. He was a time lord and the doctor destroyed the time lords along with the daleks in the time war. but was the master there? was he destroyed too? Probably should have been after all the pantomime villain acting, but giving the doctor a foe like that, who can also travel through time and cause havoc did give the show a drive. Drawing the doctor on, feeding through story arcs. The master himself wouldn't work unless he had an upgrade like the doctor had - a modern twist, a new level of purpose. Become a greater menace to the Doctor. Rather than just a cackling charicature of a villain. I reckon a consistent foe could work though. The daleks can't keep returning, the one off episodes will start to get monster of the week-ish, after season three the doc will need something to keep the show moving forwards.

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
The modern day part bothers me more than the location. Although the location is also going to need some serious explaining. Yeah, the modern day part feels very much like a sore thumb.

They'd better have Jack's ship i the new show. losing that would be a waste.I thought the ship was blown up in his second episode. Still, it'd be a waste to lose that set.

Though I do think it's a shame there'll be no crossover between Who and Torchwood. I think I'd sooner have had Torchwood be a pre-watershed show that could tie in and crossover. The Torchwood organisation sounds a hell of a lot more exciting than U.N.I.T. Yeah, they really should do a little crossover action, makes sense really. "Torchwood" is also an anagram of "Doctor Who", which is why the name was used. :D Doesn't sound very sci-fi though, reminds me of one of those teen dramas. :p

Changing tack - A point I thought of is if the TARDIS is a bit broken as we know it is with the chameleon circuit stuck so the outside always looks like a 1950's police telephone box, and the thing keeps ending up in odd places because the time travel mechanisms are a bit broken and unreliable too, how can the doctor keep finding his way back to the exact same estate Rose lives on? And in the same time era. That's a little incongruous. Yeah I know, I'm nitpicking. But repeated viewing does that to you. I think we're supposed to take that the TARDIS is getting them to the right place by psychic means, reading what the Doctor wants and how much he wants it. Or maybe now that there's just the 1 time lord, there's also probably just the 1 TARDIS left and without those other TARDISes flying around space and dimensions, it has less trouble navigating the universe.

Like Clive from season one episode one, why introduce him as a guy obsessed with the doctor and gatherer of all that data on the doctor only to then have him killed off in the second half of the episode? And if in fact he wasn't killed, because we don't see him after the Auton aims the gun and fires, why has Rose not thought to go back to him for more info about the Doctor? Considering how mysterious the doc's being with her about his past. Clive is the one character besides Rose who really knows anything about the Doctor. Just seems odd to have gone to all the trouble of creating Clive and that whole mass of data in the shed at the bottom of the garden, then deliberately have him there to be killed by the Auton outside the department store. what was all that about? Unless that data Clive collated is going to be used against the Doctor at some future point.This is just a guess, but I think Clive was meant not to be a major plotpoint, but to represent the obsessive Dr Who fans, and this new series shrugging off any anchors from them which would otherwise weigh them down. It did seem like an odd thing to dump though, could have used it again and again throughout, maybe even having him bother Rose and her circle, or the Doctor and Rose travel to the 22nd century and find that his legacy has built up into a far more vast conspiracy cult.

In the old show one of the returning foes was The Master. Who always managed to evade the Doctor when it came to being aprehended. I don't remember now if The Master was ever dealt with finally.The Master was dealt with in the TV-movie here in the US aired on Fox back in '96, he was sucked into the Eye of Harmony that was in the TARDIS while trying to steal the Doctor's remaining lives for himself. And thus died Eric Robert's career... er, I mean "The Master". :D

Damn, with a little research I look like a real Dr Who fan! :p I did actually watch the Fox TV movie though back when it aired.

Jargo
06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I haven't seen it yet. it's something i always mean to get round to but never manage. I had a problem with Paul McGann really. I couldn't watch him in anything or as Doctor Who without seeing his portrayal of John Lennon from a made for TV movie some time ago. Plus i was still pretty much a Who purist at the time. The new look Tardis bothered me.
Interestingly in all the Who documentaries I've watched again recently McGann's doctor only gets the briefest mentions and he's never interviewed. So I can only summise that he wasn't too happy with the end results or the lack of success of the movie. Or, the powers that be weren't impressed with his work.
It's weird but i don't even consider that TV movie to really be a Who adventure. In the same way i don't consider peter Cushing's movie appearances as Who to be real Who. Even though i think Cushing made a better doctor than William Hartnell's original characterisation. way back in the mists of non colour tv............

JediTricks
06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I haven't seen it yet. it's something i always mean to get round to but never manage. I had a problem with Paul McGann really. I couldn't watch him in anything or as Doctor Who without seeing his portrayal of John Lennon from a made for TV movie some time ago. Plus i was still pretty much a Who purist at the time. The new look Tardis bothered me. You should really see it for the curiosity factor, if nothing else. The TARDIS got a very complex set, they spent $1mil on it thinking it'd be a new TV show set they would naturally have to reuse.

Interestingly in all the Who documentaries I've watched again recently McGann's doctor only gets the briefest mentions and he's never interviewed. So I can only summise that he wasn't too happy with the end results or the lack of success of the movie. Or, the powers that be weren't impressed with his work.From what I've read, McGann after the failure of the TV Movie continued to portray the 8th doctor in audio material, including "an extensive series of audio plays" (whatever that means), and still voices the 8th doctor whenever called for.

Jargo
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
So in other words it killed his tv and movie career lol

I'm downloading the movie but it's taking years. want to watch it before I decide if I should buy a DVD of it. Coz you bet your sweet tush I'll be getting this new Who on disk.

oooh point of interest, this weeks episode is a fan one. Peter kay, a british character actor, plays a role after begging the producers to let him be in the show. And his costume was designed by a young fan after winning a competition to design one. However, the doctor and rose don't appear in the episode much and apparently this episode has a really odd script. more discussage when I've seen the episode for myself this saturday...

A big spoiler:
Rose is set to be written out of the show at the end of season two according to a report on the radio earlier this afternoon. Apparently Billie piper has had enough and wants to move on. but the storyline has also been moving towards this anyway. something big seems to building up to the season finale 2 parter.... All russell T. Davies has said is that something has to come along and happen to spoil the party. That there's a sense that Rose and the doctor are having too much fun and things are going to get rough....

Phantom-like Menace
06-16-2006, 12:02 AM
So do we know if or when the new season is supposed to begin airing in the US?

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Fan ep, fan clothes? You know the current Doctor is played by an actor whose childhood ambition of playing the Doctor led him to acting, that's a FAN job! :p

Bah! That spoiler news makes me unhappy, too many characters taking off this series at the end of seasons.

Jargo
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I never know whether to believe actors when they say they dreamed about playing a part. is it genuine or just spin to protect their job?

And I didn't say fan designed clothes, I said fan designed costume :)

I have to admit that I'd love to be in the show myself. even in a rubber monster suit. I've been an admirer of Ailsa Berk the series choreographer for years. She used to do a lot of costume stuff herself and was the person inside the costume for Amanaman in ROTJ, not her best work admittedly lol She did work for Henson's Storyteller show too. But yeah, be cool to do some mime/physical acting on Who. I've always found that sort of stuff much more fun and rewarding than all the line learning and stuff.

Meh. Dreams eh.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I never know whether to believe actors when they say they dreamed about playing a part. is it genuine or just spin to protect their job?Well, this was said about him before 2005 when the new series began, so I tend to believe it.

And I didn't say fan designed clothes, I said fan designed costume :)Tomayto-tomahto, to me...toh. Alien costume is still actor clothes. :D

Somehow, I've never wanted to be on any show or movie I like in any capacity, it just never occurred to me that it'd be interesting to make these shows.

Jargo
06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd never be able to watch myself. ha, sounds weird, but i can't stand to see moving images of myself. I'd like to be involved, see howit's all done and be in the thick of it. just to satisfy my curiosity. I'd pick Dr Who because if I sucked at being a rubber suit monster I could pass it off as harkening back to the former glory days of the show. lol

darthzirock
06-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Sci-Fi Channel got decent enough ratings with the new Doctor Who series one that they'll probably acquire series two. Unless BBC America acts like total gits again, like they did when negotiating for series one. That's why, back in Summer 2005, it was announced SFC wouldn't be carrying the new Doctor Who. When Beeb America couldn't get anyone else to plunk down the absurd amount they wanted for it, they went back to SFC for a second round of negotiating. After settling on a price, then Beeb hits SFC with, "Oh, by the way, it's coming out on DVD in February '06." SFC replied, "Oh, really? Then in that case, the deal's off!" Suddenly, the DVD release got pushed back to July 4, 2006. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
06-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Wow, BBC thinks they're big deal guys? That's kinda sad really, like watching a little tiny dog yap away thinking he's a ferocious pit bull. They better get their act together and get season 2 on the air in the US, or the downloads will be ferocious.

Jargo
06-17-2006, 11:14 PM
ugh. tonights episode was a dog. nice idea but it didn't do it for me. i don't think it'll be many people's favourite episode.

but it did have a semi naked man in it. which was nice..........

Jargo
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
From Outpost Gallifrey:

Series Two of the new Doctor Who series starring David Tennant and Billie Piper will, by all indication, see its US debut on September 29 on the Sci Fi Channel, along with Series One repeats earlier in the day. The news hasn't officially been confirmed by the channel; however, an NBC/Universal release (http://nbccableinfo.com/insidenbccable/pdf/scifi/schedules/september06.pdf) (in PDF form) for Sci Fi shows that Doctor Who returns to the schedule on the evening starting at 9pm four episodes, the first two of which are marked "new" (and "repeat" at 11pm and 12am, the usual pattern for a premiere night). Outpost Gallifrey was, in fact, told that the series was "almost certain" to return "this October" recently, although no information was forthcoming until this release. Sci Fi's schedulebot does show four episodes broadcast that evening; in late September, there is almost no likelihood of a Friday night airing of reruns.

Will "The Christmas Invasion" be included? Says Benjamin Elliott of "This Week in Doctor Who," "The Christmas Invasion is 59 minutes long without commercials, so it would either have to be a) skipped and shown later or b) have 15 1/2 minutes chopped out of it to fit SciFi's schedule as currently displayed. It does have an extended trailer for Series 2 that could be cut and the credits will always get squeezed, but that still leaves 13 minutes unaccounted for. SciFi has always felt willing to change their schedule at a moment's notice, so things can always change. They could air Christmas Invasion complete and have filler to finish the 2 hours. But for now, we must assume one of the following 2 scenarios: 9pm Christmas Invasion and 10pm New Earth, or 9pm New Earth and 10pm Tooth and Claw. The Christmas Invasion isn't required to enjoy Series 2, but some references (notably at the end of the series) make more sense if you see it, and as David Tennant's debut story it helps establish the kind of Doctor he is." Also noted is the fact that the Daytime marathon on September 29 on the Sci Fi Channel is the last 8 episodes of Series 1, which makes sense to lead into the new episodes.

We'll bring you official word from Sci Fi as soon as it's official, but this matches everything we've been told about Sci Fi's positive reaction to the first series ratings in the spring and the desire to bring the show back with new episodes by the end of 2006.

Update 6 August: Outpost Gallifrey has heard from our contacts that this is indeed Series Two and that it debuts with the two-hour block on 29 September because the third season of "Battlestar Galactica" debuts the following week with a two-hour episode block. Doctor Who and Galactica will air at 9pm and 10pm, respectively, with another series airing at 8pm throughout October and November, with a short break for the Christmas holidays. Our source also believes that "The Christmas Invasion" is being held back in this first block, and will instead be aired as a special in December. More details soon.

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Kick ***! Thanks for the news, my calendar is ready!

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Tonight from 8pm till 10:30pm, 2 new eps of Doctor Who!

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 09:54 PM
This week's with Queen Victoria and the Werewolf was a little on the silly side, but there was some interesting stuff in it too, and they're really pushing this Torchwood thing, I guess to ramp up interest in the new show.

plasticfetish
10-09-2006, 03:13 AM
they're really pushing this Torchwood thing, I guess to ramp up interest in the new show.No doubt. It's pretty funny really... super obvious, but funny.

We've enjoyed the new episodes so far. David Tennant's great. Maybe a bit more hysterical than we're used to from the Doctor, but it's fun to watch him.

(My son's decided that he wants to be Doctor Who for Halloween BTW, so it'll be fun explaining to people who the little guy in a brown pinstripe suit is all night. He did have a friend send him a Sonic Screwdriver from England. Fun toy!)

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 04:22 PM
I was Nixon for Halloween once, even with a mask adults didn't get "kid in suit" as anything. Still, it's awesome that your kid wants to be The Doctor for Halloween.

That sonic screwdriver toy looks cool, how is it?

plasticfetish
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
That sonic screwdriver toy looks cool, how is it?I thought it would be cheesy, but it's kind of fun really. The light is really bright, and it makes a noise... comes with a pad of "Psychic Paper." (The UV pen thing is silly, but fun.) It looks cool enough. It's not perfect, like how the Playmates phasers were always a little off, but it's great for what it is. I'm honestly a little jealous.

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
You should make up some punishment and take it from him for yourself. ;)

plasticfetish
10-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Your talking about the kid that told me how when I die, he gets to have all of my toys. :) He's nice enough to let me play with it if I want.

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Could punish him for his greed about when you die. ;)

Jargo
10-14-2006, 08:25 PM
BADWOLF
BADWOLF
BADWOLF
BADWOLF

Phantom-like Menace
10-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I enjoyed the girl in the fireplace episode that just aired here in the US. Coming on the heels of the Sarah Jane Smith episode where the Doctor talks about outliving everyone he cares for, this episode really touched on that in a unique way. And I laughed myself to tears when the Doctor came in drunk and talks about inventing the banana daiquiri a couple centuries early.

I'm never quite certain what I think about Sophia Myles in the looks department, but all in all, I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

Mickey wore a shirt with the original NES controller on it, so he just went up a couple of notches in my book.

And I'll always say any story where the hero rides in (or crashes through a mirror) on a white horse has to make me somewhat happy.

JediTricks
10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
It was a CGI mirror, but yeah, that was pretty wild. Good ep, but I didn't understand why she had mental powers.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-28-2006, 03:14 AM
I've been watching all the new episodes since it started on Sci-Fi. I recall seeing Doctor Who at least once as a kid, but I guess I was too young to understand it or have it hold my interest. Perhaps the accents made it harder to understand as well. The sets and special effects were not great from what I remember. Also, at the time I was familiar with a Dr. Who on the King Kong animated series, and this was nothing like that.

I've enjoyed the modern series though. I liked Eccleston's Doctor. I was disappointed that he didn't stick around. It took a bit to get used to the new Doctor, but I'm beginning to like him now.

JediTricks
10-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Rise of the Cybermen was on last night, and while there was some interesting parallel dimensions stuff going on, and I really felt for the near-death of the TARDIS, the Cybermen are still a tough pill to swallow (though not nearly as ridiculous as their original incarnations from what I remember). That cliffhanger ending was more suspensful than the WW2 story!

Jargo
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I saw the opening episode of Torchwood and some of the second episode and I'm not overly impressed. Nothing about it grabs me. I like Captain Jack in Doctor who but as a stand alone core character for a series it just doesn't work. It may be me just not liking the way a lot of shows are put together these days or it may be that it's really just a pile of old pants.

I think the cybermen were quite sexy really. but then I thought ST DS9's Cardassians were too.

pbarnard
11-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok, I've tried, I've watched the last 4 episodes based on what people have said. I've tried to watch some older episodes on PBS on the weekend late at night here and there, and I just don't get. I don't follow the plot, premise or anything. Seems pointless to me. Can some one explain it to me why they think this show is good at all?

plasticfetish
11-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Can some one explain it to me why they think this show is good at all?Well... you're sort of asking for someone to explain why a show that's been around and popular since 1963 is good. That's a tough one. Maybe it's not for you, but I'd think that a decent understanding of the show's history could help you understand why other people might like it.

I mean... take the past two episodes for example. There's a lot of history behind the whole Cyberman thing.

Jargo
11-04-2006, 10:19 AM
the doctor is a timelord. his ship can travel through time and relative dimensions in space. the chameleon device that allowed his ship to appear as anything in order to blend in with any location is broken so the ship is stuck in the shape and outwad appearance of a british police phone box circa 1960.
the doctor is a little bit of a renegade. his people laid down rules of engagement regarding dealings with alien races and situations. the doctor disagreed with those rulings/laws and often ran in conflict with his people.
The doctor encountered the daleks and thus his greatest foe and successfully defeated them several times until the final battle where he destroyed them all at the cost of also destroying his own people.
he has a deep affection and vested interest in the people of earth because he believes that Earth people are basically good people who can go far and do good things with guidance. And seeing as he has no home planet to go to he seems to like returning to earth as a rest stop and usually fixes some small problem like megolomaniac alien invaders hellbent on destroying the earth or the bizarre return of the daleks thanks to meddling individuals/organisations.

The doctor can be very preachy, very opinionated, very wrong. but he has his hearts in the right place and always believes his actions to be for the betterment of mankind or the particular alien race/species he is around at the time. He believes in the rights of the individual and liberty, egality and equality. Though at times will pretend not to be concerned with such issues.

over the yeas he's taken onboard various 'assistants' who he seems to treat fairly badly but in actual fact like a skilled tutor teases great strength and fortitude out of these individuals. many of them earth dwellers originally.

The show was originally intended as light entertainment. had no budget and incredibly limiting technology was used to produce the show. the ingenuity and creativity of cast and crew plus the writers brought something fresh to the small screen. nothing like Dr Who had ever been seen before at its time of launch.

the ingenious device of having the doctor regenerate when different actors took on the role meant longevity with little interruption to the flow of the show. it allowed for a segue between different actors and didn't really alienate any viewers.

the show was made with tongue firmly in cheek. but with deep affection. the wobbly sets and dodgey costumes on aliens made it amusing and entertaining to adults and kids hid behind the sofa scared witless by the daleks and cybermen etc. generations grew up watching the show and it became a british institution almost.

it was cancelled just as it was starting to really find it's feet in terms of utilising technology to enhance the show but also at the point where no-one was really taking it seriously anymore due to poor writing and ridiculous scenarios. however, after the made for TV big budget movie version which went down ok it was felt that the time was right to bring back the doctor and pimp da show.

The latest incarnation takes parts of the history of the old show and weaves it into the 'lore' but embelishes upon that lore and thus moves the story arcs forward. re-using old foes but presenting them in a way that is palletable to modern audiences.

Doctor Who has never been serious sci-fi. it's not in the same league as say star trek or babylon 5 or stuff like that. it's still aimed at kids with the odd wink to camera for adult viewers. it's just supposed to be entertainment pure and simple. the science is bogus but sounds good when said really fast in a tense situation. the scripts are shakey and have amazingly huge plot holes.
However the actors put a lot into it and the creators are enthsed and passionate about the show and it makes for reasonably good viewing.

it takes a while for this modern version to get going. there was a lot of conservative moves forward with Christopher Ecclestones doctor, allowing an audience to get used to him and the new show. but now the tone is set and production values are fairly high, it can grow and go places. It still has a low budget it sill has wobbly sets and sometimes dodgey costumes, but the premise is the same, drama/tension/strange happenings/alien encounters/danger/suspense/sleuthing/and pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved on a small budget for TV that looks good and entertains.

the role of rose and her mother and mickey was to draw in the family viwing unit. to base part of the show in an earthly location and allow viewers to comfortably associate with those characters and make the journey with them through the first season. in the second season having done that we get to relax and move away from that some. in the third season there will be changes. it will or should feel more like the original version of the show and be a little easier to follow.

and I know I've summarised badly but I'm no expert. just think of the doctor as a time travelling, spaceship driving, galactic hero, battling detective, IT expert. with foxy sidekicks and a robot dog. he has two hearts and when he faces death he cheats it by regenerating his body and assuming a new one.
In a sense he's a god. or universal deity. lonely and capricious. impish. he struggles to deal with all he knows and has seen or done. has big guilt trips and suffers from bipolar syndrome probably. he cares deeply about issues of right and wrong and especially injustices. he's ancient. so old to count the millions of candles needed on his birthday cake he'd need assistance.
He's managed to get out of more scrapes and dangerous situations than the mission impossible team ever did and only ever used a sonic screwdriver. it opens locks, it opens things with screws, it emits frequencies usefull in recalibration of various sci-fi devices. his taste in clothing is spotty. but getting better.

*breathes*

how am I doing?

pbarnard
11-04-2006, 01:58 PM
*breathes*

how am I doing?

*Hands over a drink* Ok. Understood it had a long history...Thanks for the effort.

plasticfetish
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
how am I doing?Very good!

The bit about it being tounge-in-cheek, and not "serious" Sci-Fi is very important. I remember reading interviews with Tom Baker years ago, where he would say that 99.99% of the time, he had NO idea what he was saying, but would plod along trying to sound convincing just to make it work. I always loved that.

Doctor Who has always been an exotic "foreign" thing for me. To watch it here in the US, you used to have to hunt for it late at night on public TV, or try to track down video tapes. The pacing could often times be pretty slow, and the look of the show was always very basic, but that's what made it charming. I look at it like a kind of Sci-Fi soap opera... but it can be hard to follow something like that if you're always forced to watch the shows in random order.

Loving this new show BTW. It's probably the only thing going that our entire family gathers around to watch right now.

JediTricks
11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Explaining Doctor Who is kind of like explaining a joke I think, you either get it or you don't, but no matter how you try, a joke doesn't work if it needs to be explained. But, a good try was given here so maybe. What I've been enjoying about the modern series (besides the fact that they finally have some halfway decent visual effects :p) is that the writing is very alien to modern sci-fi, it doesn't say the things every other sci-fi story is saying right now. Also, the Doctor's understanding of things beyond our comprehension is great, we don't have to be able to grasp a concept with our feeble human minds for us to move on from it as long as the Doctor spouts off some quick half-explanation.

That said, I thought the Cybermen 2nd episode which aired yesterday was a bit of a letdown, the Doctor's solution to the cliffhanger was a mega-cheat and the situations they got into to get themselves out of it all were a bit too Star Trek-technobabbly. I did like that Mickey got a human story, but I was greatly surprised by the ending.

Jargo
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Have I mentioned that Torchwood sucks? well it does. it's appallingly bad. Obviously i won't go into detail and spoil it. but I defy anyone to sit through more than three episodes and enjoy it. Sooooo not impressed :(

plasticfetish
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Have I mentioned that Torchwood sucks?Ohhhh... that's bad news. Don't even know if it'll get shown over here, but that's too bad.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I missed Doctor Who last Friday. I set my VCR to record, but I did something wrong and it didn't record. CBC is showing them on Mondays but they are two or three weeks behind, so I'll have to remember to catch it then. Now I have to decide whether to try and record it tonight or just wait and watch them all on CBC now instead of Sci-Fi.

Jargo
11-17-2006, 10:02 PM
or download it. *s*******

I'm still trying to locate some of the doctor who confidential shows. all that behind the scenes coolness. and the official website 'tardisodes' that advertised each episode are hard to come by. I shall find them, and when i do - they're miiiiiine......

edit: apparently I'm not allowed to say sn!gger. Hello? word meaning impish laughter. sort it out for pities sake. it's getting like you can't use any words that aren't in the webster dictionary now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

JediTricks
11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
In the US, the word is "snicker", I've only heard use of "sn*gger" as "sn*ggering" and BARELY that, maybe twice in my entire life. The etymology of "sn*gger" is just a variant of "snicker". The autocensor left the "s" part of your word so it should be obvious what it's censoring, that kind of hate-speech is going to remain censored and if you don't like it you can leave.

I am so mad at Sci-Fi Channel, they showed another cliffhanger episode but the show won't be on for 2 or 3 weeks!

Jargo
11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
riiiiight.

Fine then. I'm off. Please ask Steve to delete the star park avatars and while you're at it delete all my posts and my account. thank you.

And no I'm not joking.

plasticfetish
11-24-2006, 11:21 PM
it's getting like you can't use any words that aren't in the webster dictionary now.No, it's in there... ;)

JediTricks
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, 1 month later, let's talk about the Doctor again...

They aired the last few eps of season 2 here in the US. "Love & Monsters" I thought was interesting but devolved into a dopey mess, and that ending was funny but kinda silly. Apparently, the villain was from a fan contest, a kid came up with the design for it, I hear it the kid was disappointed because he wanted his alien to be the size of a bus rather than a fat guy in a suit - whoops!

Then there was "Fear Her" which I think may be the worst piece of crap I've ever seen, the story was utter pap and the humor was extremely forced. Since I already knew Rose was leaving the show in the next few eps, the foreboding at the end fell flat.

Finally, Sci-Fi channel aired the 2-part season finale eps "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" back to back, but as the first ep started they gave away the HUGE twist of the Daleks being in it!!! I was livid, that would have been such an awesome surprise at the end of part 1! I was surprised to be glad to see Mickey back, that was a good twist, and although I couldn't care less about Torchwood, this was a very entertaining episode with only a modicum of deus-ex-machina at the end. The final stuff was very touching, and then the lead-in to the Christmas Special was cute. Unfortunately, we have no idea when we'll be seeing the xmas special. :(

Jargo
12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
the xmas special is ok. not exeptional but ties in nicely and has some nice doctor moments. the effects are patchy but when they're good they're very good. it had a few snippets of season three tagged on the end. a nice appetite whetting. It also has a very cool practical effect that surprised me.

season one of Torchwood ends this new years eve. a double episode finale. I still think it sucks. It just doesn't know what it is. it could be great but the writing and direction are flabby and weak. The acting is part pantomime and part amateur. And considering it's supposed to be an adult show it still feels like awkward doctor who mixed with saphire and steel. mixed with cop drama. it's messy and untamed. And Captain Jacks pan sexual shenanigans are a little disturbing to say the least. (I mention that only coz it's been set up in doctor who already)
it probably won't sit well with the moral high grounders of American society. However, it may appeal to viewers of the ghost whisperer and such shows where the oddity and implausibility are what attracts the viewer.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 04:23 AM
It'd be nice if they aired the special in advance of season 3, and it'd be nice if season 3 aired without the delay we've gotten in the first 2 seasons.

I don't remember anybody caring about Captain Jack's omnisexuality in his Who entries, but it wasn't the forefront of his character. I still have no interest in seeing Torchwood though, the concept feels exceptionally forced and silly and tacked-on, having Jack there might be what gets me to watch but I haven't heard much about it worth checking out and what we've seen of it in Dr Who was lame.

Jargo
12-29-2006, 09:36 AM
the xmas special also explains a puzzle that remained from the previous xmas special.

about to start is the other spinoff from doctor who The Sarah Jane Adventures. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/ which is aimed squarely at kids.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-29-2006, 08:12 PM
the xmas special also explains a puzzle that remained from the previous xmas special.

about to start is the other spinoff from doctor who The Sarah Jane Adventures. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/ which is aimed squarely at kids.Apparently that is blocked to people outside of the U.K. I was redirected to this URL - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/nonuk/nonuk.shtml.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 08:36 PM
I got the same. How is it that after all these years, Sarah Jane Smith finally gets her spinoff? Granted, the original was K-9 and Friends, but it's the same either way.

Jargo
12-30-2006, 02:59 PM
something to do with a big lunch with Russel T. Davies and the producer of Dr. Who I reckon. shame about the site. maybe you could try going to the official BBC site and following links through to the doctor who site and then to the sarah jane mini site?

anyway. They've given sarah jane some kid assistants and given the show a similar atmosphere and production values as doctor who, so at least it's a step up from K9 and friends. Although it's very derivative from the clips I've seen. And no glimpse of K9. Though he's getting his own show too. albeit as a computer generated souped up version. So unless the doctor gets a new K9 that's also CGI or they do something to update the original K9's hardware, we may not see that particular version of K9 we all know and - know again.

well Torchwood finishes tomorrow i think and The sarah jane adventures starts a day later or a couple of days later. no idea when the K9 show starts though.

thinking about it, from being a lame duck consigned to the archives, Dr. Who and three spinoffs isn't bad going for a resurrection. I may hate the guy with a passion but Russel T. has definitely breathed life into the old beast again.

Jargo
01-01-2007, 04:41 PM
missed sarah jane coz i was eating my dinner but i heard it drifting through from the living room. it sounded a bit dull and the incidental music was very doctor who. but the main theme was awful. I'll try and catch the next episode for a better review.

gonna go watch the season finale of torchwood now.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Just saw the Daleks in Manhattan episode last night. The guy they met in Hooverville sounded familiar. Then it finally dawned on me that it was Captain Panaka! Indeed, the credits confirm it was Hugh Quarshie.

Kidhuman
07-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I watched this episode the other night and couldnt put my finger on it. Now that you mention his name, it his him.

BTW. this is a gret a show.

plasticfetish
07-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Got back late last night from San Diego, and had to work today, so I'm a bit tired, but thought I'd post...

Really sad that I missed this Friday's Doctor Who episode, but got to sit in on the Torchwood panel at the con. Torchwood season one starts up here in the states, September 8th at 9pm on BBC America.

The panel was great. Lead writer Chris Chibnall, writer Noel Clarke (who plays Mickey on Doctor Who), Producer Richard Stokes, and Prosthetics Supervisor (For both Doctor Who and Torchwood) Matt O'Toole, talked about the show.

Also manged to pick up the two exclusive Comic-Con figures from underground toys... but that's for another thread. :)

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Daleks Take Manhattan wasn't my cup of tea, but I did recognize Panaka right off. I was digging him until Friday's part 2 when he turned into a total wuss. :p

This season has been weird, not as good as the previous 2 but still alright. Martha is a bit of a snore, but I like how she's supposed to remind the Doctor that Rose was better, that's a nifty trick right there.

At the con, I picked up the TARDIS coin bank (talks, lights, makes "the sound") and the Sonic Screwdriver toy set, both totally worth it. I wish I had more money to have bought the TARDIS playset or some of the other pieces, hopefully someone here in the states will pick up the line from Underground Toys (they're only wholesaling at this point).

Kidhuman
08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I never watched the first two season, but I kind of dig Martha.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Hmm, that must be confusing when The Doctor goes on about Rose Tyler then. Martha seems to know it as well. Of course, The Doctor has so many past adventures we don't all know about that he can do that sort of thing and get away with it.

plasticfetish
08-06-2007, 01:53 AM
This season has been weird, not as good as the previous 2 but still alright. Martha is a bit of a snore, but I like how she's supposed to remind the Doctor that Rose was better, that's a nifty trick right there.I think things will pick up a little as the season moves along... not that a human Dalek hybrid is going to be easy to top. ;)

I like Martha. Rose was great, but a little... whiney perhaps. It's nice to see the Doctor with someone more proactive.

At the con, I picked up the TARDIS coin bank (talks, lights, makes "the sound") and the Sonic Screwdriver toy set, both totally worth it. I wish I had more money to have bought the TARDIS playset or some of the other pieces, hopefully someone here in the states will pick up the line from Underground Toys (they're only wholesaling at this point).It took a lot of restraint to keep from spending all of our gas and hotel money at that booth. :D The kid bought an Ood figure also... so tempting to buy more.

I did ask about when and if their product would star turning up in stores. I'm not sure if the lady that I talked to had any idea what I was asking, but I think she mentioned that their product was being distributed by Diamond to various shops.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 03:51 AM
I liked Rose, she was a bit soap-opera-y in her life but she had the instincts of someone special and was easy on the eyes too. Martha is attractive as well, but both her looks and her character seem a tad too generic for me. Plus, her pining after the Doctor is just pap at this point, she's known him a whole 2 weeks or something!

I hope you lads bought at least 1 Doctor figure then, an Ood by itself is not a fun thing (unless you're spacing them ;)).

They told us officially that they're only wholesaling and anybody can buy for distribution, but they didn't mention Diamond specifically. Diamond is a frustration on the wallet and patience but they do get stuff like this into yer hands.

Kidhuman
08-11-2007, 01:13 AM
A good epsiode tonight. Being that I started watching this season, I would like to know who Harold Saxon is. Is he from a past season or his he brand new?

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 04:40 AM
Damnit, I just accidentally read a spoiler about the character which TOTALLY changes some things for me!

Anyway, I believe Harold Saxon's new to this season.

Last night was a good episode mixed with some really bad effects. I liked that the Doctor was ready to drop Martha off for good, that was a good twist. And the whole concept of the Doctor understanding what Lazarus was trying to do because he himself has gone through it was pretty good. I am not in love with how they're portraying Martha's mother, but it's better than Rose's mum.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I missed it on Friday because it wasn't on at the usual time due to Flash Gordon. I normally watch Monk at 9pm and watch the second showing of Doctor Who at 11pm, but it wasn't on. I think it was on at midnight, so I set the VCR to record it. Yesterday I went to watch it and it wasn't there. Not sure went wrong. I must have forgot to turn the VCR off.

Jargo
08-12-2007, 11:26 AM
there's a new tardis out that has lights and sound that are motion activated and an interior space to get figures in. plus the public telephone hatch on the front door opens up. I'll review it once i get it in my hands.

not going to say anything much but season three is mixed and has some decent episodes and a decent story arc running through. Martha and her Mum develop well. and there's some nice nods to the original run of Who for anyone who saw that.

season four just started filming.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I missed it on Friday because it wasn't on at the usual time due to Flash Gordon. I normally watch Monk at 9pm and watch the second showing of Doctor Who at 11pm, but it wasn't on. I think it was on at midnight, so I set the VCR to record it. Yesterday I went to watch it and it wasn't there. Not sure went wrong. I must have forgot to turn the VCR off.If you're anything like me, you accidentally selected the current date instead of the next day's date - that's why I try to set my VCR for 11:59pm start times now if it's a midnight show.

there's a new tardis out that has lights and sound that are motion activated and an interior space to get figures in. plus the public telephone hatch on the front door opens up. I'll review it once i get it in my hands.New? That playset's been out a year, if it's the one I'm thinking of - they had it at SDCC and it was a lot of fun, very cool.

not going to say anything much but season three is mixed and has some decent episodes and a decent story arc running through. Martha and her Mum develop well. That's good to hear. Season 2 was mixed as well but mostly worked.

and there's some nice nods to the original run of Who for anyone who saw that. That's putting it mildly, from what I hear! :p

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2007, 12:48 AM
If you're anything like me, you accidentally selected the current date instead of the next day's date - that's why I try to set my VCR for 11:59pm start times now if it's a midnight show.No, I always set the time with a few minutes on either side. One thing I thought was that maybe I went from 11:58 to 12:02, but I found no trace of the program. My mistake is either forgetting to leave the cable box on (the VCR is recording through that in the current setup), forgetting to turn the VCR off, or having the cable box on the wrong channel.

I found the episode on Youtube in 5 parts, but parts one and two were not there anymore.

Kidhuman
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Check again, Sci-Fi will usuaaly re-run them again during the week.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Check again, Sci-Fi will usuaaly re-run them again during the week.I searched with the on-screen guide and only found old episodes, except for maybe CBC which is ahead of Sci-Fi with newer episodes. I'll check again though.

Kidhuman
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, I did a week long search for you on my DVR and it came up negative. BUT they are showing a mini marathon next Friday morning of season one with Rose from the first episode

Jargo
08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
New? That playset's been out a year, if it's the one I'm thinking of - they had it at SDCC and it was a lot of fun, very cool.Not the interior of the Tardis playset, with the console and doorway and cardboard wall section on the door side. the police box itself. they call it 'flight control tardis' so as you whoosh it it makes sounds i think.
there's a bunch of new toys just come out or just coming out. The Reaper from season one spacesuited doctor with the elevator cage from the satan pit episode to go with a possessed toby and the Ood. nice stuff. weirdest one is Grandma connolly from 'the wire' in season two. she's faceless and comes with a 1950's tv set showing the wire.
the one I'm really keen to get my hands on is the SDCC exclusive 5" scale damaged Cyberman. tis like gold dust round these parts as you can imagine. and pretty pricey.

plasticfetish
08-13-2007, 09:20 PM
the one I'm really keen to get my hands on is the SDCC exclusive 5" scale damaged Cyberman.Awww, you could have maybe said something a few weeks ago you know. ;)

Jargo
08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I know. I know. well i've got all four of the other variants including the cyber controllers throne so I should be happy with that. And I'm hoping they make a cyberconversion chamber which would be wickedly cool.

Oh the Tardis: http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=39865

it is neeeeeeeeat......

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Not the interior of the Tardis playset, with the console and doorway and cardboard wall section on the door side. the police box itself. they call it 'flight control tardis' so as you whoosh it it makes sounds i think. Ohhhh! That sounds pretty cool. I bought the coin bank version of the Tardis exterior for similar reasons (I don't have any of the figs so all I wanted was the look, the light, and the sound which it has, plus talking).

there's a bunch of new toys just come out or just coming out. The Reaper from season one spacesuited doctor with the elevator cage from the satan pit episode to go with a possessed toby and the Ood. nice stuff. weirdest one is Grandma connolly from 'the wire' in season two. she's faceless and comes with a 1950's tv set showing the wire. Yes, that is definitely the weirdest I can imagine! So surprising how much product they've put out in such a short time without being a larger manufacturer, seems to be working for them though.

the one I'm really keen to get my hands on is the SDCC exclusive 5" scale damaged Cyberman. tis like gold dust round these parts as you can imagine. and pretty pricey.That's too bad, they had them even on the last day, that and the damaged Dalek as well, they're just paint variants as far as I could see but they cost double what the regular versions were ($20 vs $10).

Nifty TARDIS playset, cool job how they have the phone pop out. The bank has the phone, but it doesn't pop out, and just inside the doors is a sticker photo of the Doctor (Tennant) with Rose. I gather they already have another version out with Martha in the UK, I'm not sorry I missed that. ;)

But I just realized that the damn bank is flawed, the doors open OUT instead of in!!!

Jargo
08-15-2007, 06:48 PM
the cyberman is missing his lower right arm and lower legs, with wires and stuff exposed. quite cool. they should do a decent exploding cyberman though. or one with an exploding head. as in the finale to season two. :) i kept thinking of Bender

oh yeah the tardis bank doors are a bit odd. they've got the molded stoppers on the bottom too. There again the doors are rarely fully open. and the real prop has a big painted backdrop inside. which the flight control tardis also has. won't have it for a couple more weeks yet. :( the whooshing has to wait.

Kidhuman
08-18-2007, 01:44 AM
I just 6 epsiodes from season one. They are pretty good and Rose is better than Martha. I didnt like Eccleston though as the Doctor. I thnk Tennant is more a goofy nerd type. Eccleston seemed like a tough guy.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-18-2007, 02:21 AM
I like both. Since Eccelston was the first one I was familiar with, it was kind of hard to see him go. It took a couple episodes to get used to Tennant, but he's very good as well for the very reasons you mention.

plasticfetish
08-18-2007, 03:41 AM
I like both. Since Eccelston was the first one I was familiar with, it was kind of hard to see him go.Which is probably exactly why they did the switch... to get new Doctor Who fans up to speed on the whole regeneration idea.

I've liked them both. Eccleston was intense and very believable. You bought the idea of him being "The Doctor" right away. Tennant has been great also. I've been surprised by how much of an "action hero" he's become. Not something the Doctor has been known for, but he pulls it off.

I thought Rose was a very good sidekick, and was a perfect vehicle for getting The Doctor to open up a bit. But the nice thing about Martha is that he doesn't need to spell everything out to her. With her medical background, The Doctor can sort of move past having to over-explain a lot of the science behind things.

JediTricks
08-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I liked Eccelston because he wasn't the same old Doctor stereotype, I grew up watching my grandmother watch Tom Baker as the Doctor when they aired 'em on PBS, and he was fine for what he was, but it really felt like everything after that had to be some riff on that. Eccelston however brought a freshness to it, a lively bounce that Baker had but a different take on the universe, one that was much more "above it all". Even when he faced death on the occasions that he did, he had a little glint in his eye and smile on his face, like he knew something we didn't about the next level, and he could take care of himself even throughout all that, and it made him much more interesting for me.

Tennant is fine, I didn't really get him at first because they were trying too hard to get him and Rose up to speed again, but once he got into his own shoes it worked too, it's just that he takes these things more personally.

Anyway, last night was "42", and in some ways it was an enjoyable episode, but in others it felt very hackneyed compared to the last 2 seasons. The way the Doctor did anything to save Martha, taking the evil into himself, Martha on the "important but not that important" side mission, and the lost TARDIS and the majority of the main plot feeling way too similar to The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit from last season.

Jargo
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
'42' was a very weak episode IMHO. The ships captain is incredibly weak and girly stupid, the crew seem to be fairly useless. i'd have let them drigt into the sun to be honest. In a way I'd rather they had fewer episodes in a season than put out dross. thankfully th really good episodes are really good at helping you forget the bad ones. when you realise what the team are capable of. It's just a shame they don't a longer production schedule and more cash to throw at the show. it really could be better in a lot of ways.
it needs to be scarier too. longer stories across four episodes. more depth to the stories and characters. it's like they only put effort into the mid season episodes and the season finale where cash is concerned and the rest is just padding. 13 episodes for the sake of 13 episodes. where five might do it or whatever.

David tenant has been a decent Dr. aside from his grimacing habit and habit of showing his lower teeth constantly. He clearly relishes being the Dr. and portrays aspects of past Dr.s within his performance quite subtley. He's got more of a trendy scientist feel about him, A kind of Steve Urwin approach to alien life. the anger and bitterness that eccleston gave the doctor is gone and instead you've got a doctor who is coming to terms with being alone and looking for someone to share his life. he has a reason to seek companionship. he's lost Rose and found martha. but martha is different. just a companion. but a good one. her company helps him get over loss. become strong again. get back to simply being the doctor and doing what the doctor does. sorting out the universes. which is what he should get back to. and stop faffing around on earth.

Kidhuman
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I agree. 42 was a bit of a bore.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2007, 12:28 AM
I thought it was okay, but agree with JT in that it seemed famiiar to last year's episode.

JediTricks
08-23-2007, 02:27 AM
'42' was a very weak episode IMHO. The ships captain is incredibly weak and girly stupid, the crew seem to be fairly useless. i'd have let them drigt into the sun to be honest. In a way I'd rather they had fewer episodes in a season than put out dross. thankfully th really good episodes are really good at helping you forget the bad ones. when you realise what the team are capable of. It's just a shame they don't a longer production schedule and more cash to throw at the show. it really could be better in a lot of ways.Coming from a US perspective, if they had less shows, there wouldn't be a show at all. Most of our shows have seasons that run 22 to 26 episodes, only a few cable series run 13 eps, and nothing is like how Absolutely Fabulous went - 37 episodes across 12 years?!? Granted, you have a point that putting out filler eps is kinda pointless, but I can't imagine seeing any less of the series than we already do.

it needs to be scarier too. longer stories across four episodes. more depth to the stories and characters. it's like they only put effort into the mid season episodes and the season finale where cash is concerned and the rest is just padding. 13 episodes for the sake of 13 episodes. where five might do it or whatever. I don't care about the scary aspect, I know that's a big deal for you folks across the pond and your kiddies watching from behind the sofa, but that's not what attracts me to it. Longer stories would be nice, we're getting a lot of anthology-style characters lately, the ones that are broadly-drawn and quirky in order to fit the short format.

plasticfetish
08-23-2007, 02:42 AM
The idea of longer story lines or serial episodes is more in keeping with the classic Doctor Who anyway isn't it? I wouldn't mind if they pushed for more episodes in a season. Hopefully the shows popularity, and that of Torchwood, will help them to justify a bigger budget as time goes on.

(God JT, you mentioned Ab Fab... they played the first episode on BBC America the other day... such a great show.)

JediTricks
08-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Comedy Central used to air AbFab a few years ago, really funny stuff. Plus, it's got Rogue II as Saffy's dad! :D

plasticfetish
08-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Plus, it's got Rogue II as Saffy's dad! :DOh! ...I never made that connection. Was always more into Mike from "The Young Ones" as her other ex-husband, Marshall.

Jargo
08-23-2007, 07:47 AM
ha! i wish i could say in this thread the stuff I'm reading about season four. in theory it all sounds wonderful. it's how they pull it off that counts. Actors are queueing up to join this show. big name actors too. maybe not current big name actors but definitely pedigree actors. One in particular should be very interesting if the casting gossip is correct. I'd give my left lung to even get a walk on part.

I'm really going to have to buy this all on DVD. I have .avi copies of the full three seasons on my computer but it's not the same. even if the .avi files are high quality.

just read there's going to be a lazarus monster action figure by christmas. how cool is that.

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Sounds really crazy. I hope they don't go too hog wild with the name actors, it'll make it difficult for writers to bring characters back played by folks they can't afford.

Tonight's episode was a 2-parter, it was fairly good despite the Doctor going full-human, but I am getting terribly tired of aliens inside humans' bodies. Even with 10 mins to spare, I thought they could have written their way out of that hole they dug, but instead they went to "to be continued".

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Plus, two weeks until the next episode. Looks like there is a lot of Stargate on next Friday.

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 04:37 AM
WHAAAA??!? Son of a *****!!! What the hell kind of scheduling is that?!?

Jargo
08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
hahaha we had that. the who was moved because of football. or was it the eurovision song contest? either way it was more than annoying.

just read another spoiler. big one. kinda weird too. can't wait for you guys to catch up so i can discuss some of this stuff with you.

plasticfetish
08-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I really wish the US/UK seasons weren't a year apart... would make things so much easier. At the Torchwood panel (at comic-con) someone pretty much asked why in the 21st century, they couldn't figure out a way to make that work...

I've no objection to you just posting links to spoilers... unless anyone else does.

Jargo
08-25-2007, 05:03 PM
actually, i don't really know why I'm being so kind and not spoiling things. it's not like people hold back on talking about american shows before they get here is it?

SPOILER! (highlight to read).testing invisibility of text against the background

would that work?

plasticfetish
08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Honestly, I don't mind... spoilers don't bother me at all. Let's give the rest of the peanut gallery a chance to chime in first. (You know someone's gonna be like... "I can STILL read that.")

Kidhuman
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I dont care post away for spoilers, I would reccommend the highlight to see though as some others might not want to see them or label the post at the top with Spoilers on it.

JediTricks
08-26-2007, 10:57 PM
The spoiler I read about the big surprise at the end of season 3 was a bit harder than I expected, this wasn't like "the Doctor changes his shoes", this was "it turns out Mace Windu is really Emperor Palpatine in ROTJ". :p

Anyway, the highlight-to-read font code is f0eded, but for some reason it only works for everybody with quote-marks, like so:
=== spoiler text would be invisible here ===
Here's how the code works, I'm using the "noparse" command to show you, you can copy-paste it exactly.
=== spoiler text would be invisible here ===

plasticfetish
08-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Well hell... if none of us care, why bother? Spoil away. Is it that thing about Captain Jack?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Well hell... if none of us care, why bother? Spoil away. Is it that thing about Captain Jack?
I care. If I had watched the shows a few weeks ahead of Sci-Fi channel by watching on CBC, I would not post spoilers.

JediTricks
08-27-2007, 01:29 AM
I absolutely care. If we were talking about Torchwood, that'd be another matter altogether. ;)

plasticfetish
08-27-2007, 01:45 AM
...so you obviously know what rumor I'm talking about. :D

JediTricks
08-27-2007, 01:49 AM
I'll spill the beans, it's Hugh "Captain Panaka" Quarshie, he returns and reveals he's really Rose Tyler. ;)

Jargo
08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
***Big Spoilers do not highlight or even look at this post if you don't want to know anything. Just skip to the next post*** Ok. so If you saw the made for TV movie from 2000 you'll know The Master made an appearance. He returns in season three for the three part finale. basic plot follows:
The Doctor lands up at the end of the Universe after a TARDIS accident sends him there. the accident occurs when Captain jack hitches a ride on the outside of the TARDIS causing some kind of imbalance. (the reason Captain jack hitches a ride is revealed at the end of season one of Torchwood). On the planet at the end of time our heroes discover that humankind has evolved into two distinct groups, the futurekind who are a savage race of cannibals, and regular humans desperate to head for a mythical place called Utopia for which they've built a massive spacerocket to transport them there. Problem is that the rocket can't be fired due to a glitch in the system to launch it created by Professor Yana. Martha discovers Professor Yana has a stopwatch with Gallifeyan symbols on it exactly like the doctors. Upon opening the watch (which he says he never has) The professor ceases being human and becomes who he really is - The Master. he'd used the same trick the doctor used in the episode 'Human nature' to hide his identity) The master then steals the Tardis and does a runner. while at the same time The Master regenerates. Becoming a much younger and completely insane version of himself.
This leaves the Doctor, Martha and captain jack trapped and at the Mercy of the futurekind. it's only by fixing captain jacks broken wrist device (the one that enables him to jump through time) that they're able to follow the Tardis back to earth. Thereupon they make the link and realise that the Master has been on earth all along masquerading as non other than Harold Saxon. And harold saxon has been laying bait to draw the Doctor to him for a confrontation. Even going so far as to use Martha's family. (The Mother especially).
The confrontation that follows is not what the Doctor expects and - if you want any more you'll have to tell me.

JediTricks
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Here's the next post. I didn't read those spoilers, but I was tempted.

Jargo
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
ok when i posted that it was showing up with text the same color as the page. now the text is showing up black. is it just on my PC or can everyone see it?

Kidhuman
08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I cant see it MDP, must be the poster who posted it can see it I guess.

Jargo
08-27-2007, 07:47 PM
how cool. thanks.

plasticfetish
08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
(Works for me also.)

So, I'd read a bit of that in summary, but I'm ready for more...

JediTricks
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
I cant see it MDP, must be the poster who posted it can see it I guess.
You wish! No, that's not how it works, it's simply "the color matches the color of the background", it shouldn't be showing black for anyone.

Jargo
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
all fixed now. must just have been a page load error. I've just switched my browser to Opera. having some teething problems.
So to continue with spoilers and stuff:

The Master has a laser screwdriver that outmatches the doctors sonic one. while taunting the doctor the Master uses the laser screwdriver to alter the doctors physical appearance to something closer to the doctors actual age. this weakens the doctor, and actually i can't be bothered to spoil the finale. don't wory, i've only just touched on it all here. there's a lot more to it.

Season four. well castings for this are mere conjecture at the moment. but it is said that Davros, the creator of the daleks [whose most notable appearance was with Tom Baker's 4th doctor in the story arc 'Genesis of the daleks'] will be returning. it's also said that Sir Ben Kingsley will be playing him. Apparently Sir Ben expressed an interest in playing davros specifically.

Another returning villain allegedly is the Rani. last played by Kate O'Mara and this time allegedly Joan Collins has been cast in the role.

Making a cameo appearance in the 2007 christmas special is bernard cribbins who was in the original 1966's Dr. Who movie as Peter Cushing's assistant.

The Ood are returning in season four for a story based on their native planet.

Martha will be missing for the first seven episodes of season four and the Doctor picks up a new companion in the shape of Donna Noble, his brief sidekick from the 2006 christmas special. Martha returns to the show in episode seven according to reports.

Martha will also be turning up in season two of Torchwood. For three episodes only. It seems she impresses Captain Jack Harkness during the Who season three finale.

David Tenant will likely be seen as the Doctor until 2009 which means he's signed up for season five. during which or at the end of, the Doctor will regenerate to be replaced by - well the story goes that Russel T Davies has his eye on Harry Lloyd the guy who played Baines in 'Human nature' and the 'family of blood'. Apparently Davies wrote to Lloyds agent saying he was too good an actor just to play Baines and that he was good enough to be the next Doctor. whether or not Lloyd takes the role or whether Davies was just gushing and blathering in a showbiz luvvie way remains to be seen.

The Doctor will meet Agatha Christie in a season four episode. The grandson or great granson has said it's a great idea and given the adventure his blessing.

The Doctor will also travel to ancient Rome. the filming of the story took place in the same sets they used for the miniseries ROME. shown recently. although while filming recently BBC equipment was damaged in a fire at the studios in Italy. So the episodes proved an awful lot more costly than the large budget alloted to film abroad anyway.

Noel Clarke who played Mickey Smith has made a veiled hint about a possible return for Mickey to the show. However, he may simply have meant he was working on Dr. Who again as he's recorded an audio drama for Big Finish productions and has wrote one episode of Torchwood season one.
Who producers are already talking about the christmas special for 2008. Nothing set in stone because a possible airtime break for the show has been mentioned in many places. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-31-2007, 02:08 AM
OPERA?!? Man, why don'tcha just go get an AOL browser while you're at it? ;) (Coding for non-standard browsers has been such a pain in the rear lately.)

Jargo
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
To be honest IE7 was being really snarky. page errors everywhere and I couldn't access this site without it either freezing or crashing and closing the browser. works great with Opera though. and wash your mouth out for even mentioning AOHELL. :p

JediTricks
09-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Try Firefox, it's the next most popular browser after IE and is open-source and not sucky.

Jargo
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
The BBC have just confirmed their Dr. Who plans for the near future. After season four ends there will just be the 2008 christmas special then just three specials in 2009 all starring Tenant as the doctor. (due to David Tenant taking on the theatre role of Hamlet from june til november in part). The fifth season will air in 2010. There's no news on casting or production crew for the that season. The question mark over Russel T. Davies remaining as executive producer remains.

I suppose that what it means is that while it keeps Who ticking over through 2009 with just three specials the budget could be higher for each one and they can concentrate efforts on each story more effectively.

Kidhuman
09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Ugh!!!!! That bites.

In other news I found a website that has most of Season three on it if anyone cares for the link, PM me.

JediTricks
09-06-2007, 12:29 AM
That is SO INCREDIBLY STUPID!!! Just film a full season across 3 or 4 episodes, the shooting schedule would be the same and they can edit them into a full 13 hours which will satiate the audience better.

Seems like the whole thing is unraveling.

Kidhuman
09-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Watched the two parter last weekend. Thought it was a good story ARC. I liked it.

Havent caught this weeks yet, but will be watching it tonight or something.

Kidhuman
09-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Had some time to kill before I do what I need to do so I watched Blink. Cool freakin epsiode. Great stuff. Anyone else catch this episode?

Jargo
09-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I watched gridlock again last night. love that episode. Novice Hame rocks. Not quite sure why Brannigans lady had given birth to kittens though. surely they'd be crossbreed cat/humans too? meh.

if only those mood patches were real.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Had some time to kill before I do what I need to do so I watched Blink. Cool freakin epsiode. Great stuff. Anyone else catch this episode?I've got it on tape. I'll try and watch tonight.

JediTricks
09-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Blink was most impressive, the first half is dead-on business, right down to leaving the Weeping Angels creepy and unseen. The second half of the episode falters a little, seeing the angels' faces didn't work for me that well, it just took away from their menace, and the way the Doctor does the easter eggs was fairly disappointing - anybody could have read that script at any time, and it didn't answer how that "duck!" thing from the beginning came into play. Still, I liked enough of it, and Sally wasn't a bad character, if it hadn't wrapped up her storyline at the end I wouldn't have minded her as a companion. I was sooooo glad that they didn't 2-parter this though, the final answer came on pretty late but paid off just as well now as if it had taken another friggin' episode to flesh out.

Kidhuman
09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Sally was a good character, I liked her. Hopefully she can appear in another episode, somewhere down the line, as she gave the Doctor the papers while he was on another mission, so maybe she pops up again

Jargo
09-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Something that bothers me a lot about Dr. Who is how little we see of the Tardis interior. In the 2005 christmas special we got to see one shot of the doctos extensive wardrobe chamber with a huge spiral staircase and many levels of galleries housing his clothes. it's an impressive sight. It just begs the question why don't we see more areas like that?

In the classic Who show the secondary control room was established. and we had the big interior doors into the control room. Not to me, those big doors didn't lead directly to the extrerior doors but served more like an airlock or lead into a corridor down to the exterior doors. yet in the new who the exterior doors lead straight into the control room. which looks kinda cheap.

Now considering that the Tardis is supposed to be flown by seven time lords one would imagine some sort of crew quarters around somewhere. Or a library of the books the doctor so loves. a room full of artefacts the doctor has picked up on his travels. maybe even an observatory or a locked room containing a way to see into the vortex.
any number of differing chambers.

There's also the fact that the new doctor has mentioned that the tardis is grown not built. This suggests an organic form and the current tardis looks very much constructed. there's no organic feel to it at all. To me it all feels wrong and it's been niggling at me ever since we first saw Christopher Eccleston inside the tardis.

Now, the Gallifreyans design ethos seems to be based upon a series of curves and circles. a circle being the most basic of shapes or forms. The tardis has always had the roundels in the control room walls for example and the vortex is pretty much like a tube as we see it when the tardis is in flight.

So I was lying in bed this morning as you do imagining an organic tardis where the walls and the structure very much resemble muscle tissue and bone ribs. things like air vents resemble membranes, gratings resemble sinews stretched across each other. A living ship. But not like Moya in farscape. I'm thinking really fibrous, the walls of the control room looking like the interior of something like a stomach, nodules and bumps and pits. a complete re-imagining and of the control console too. it's always had the same basic form. which is machine like. so instead of the rising and falling vortex manipulator mechanism i'd have something like a heart with valves and tubes and fluids coursing through the tubes. tendril like chords rooted into the floor of the room and the ceiling.
Yes there would still be a need for some sort of manual controls but I think that would be more a case of touching specific nodules around the console. bumps and recesses, stroking and teasing the console with sensory control rather than mechanical.
displays like the exterior viewer would appear inside blister like bubbles. kind of holographic if you like but just floating images inside a fluid filled blister bubble.

Now obviously I can't do anything to influence the production team on the show, but given the way RTD describes the tardis regularly as organic, it just seems to me that the design team have seriously fouled up with their set. it's been said it's supposed to represent a coral like formation in the struts and beams and console but to me it always looks like what it is - fibreglass sections around an internal support frame. the presense of construction steel floor gratings and railings seems at odds with the notion of a grown ship. Although it's fair to say they've been added afterwards, it still looks slipshod rather than the work of a great race of beings. I was imagining that when the doctor moves from one chamber to the next the doorway would behave much like a human's vocal folds pull apart or much like the aesophagus and have a retracting muscular action. almost as though the doctor is swallowed by the ship. And as the ship is time and dimensions in space and in space there's no up or down, the doctor would be walking around the ship like it was an M C Escher designed thing.

The tardis it has also been established is telepathic. so therefore a chamber with no floor or walls or ceiling could exist. where a crew member could literally float and communicate commands or instructions to the tardis by thought. or the tardis could show a crew member events from their mind, displayed as a sort of movie. Time lords remember everything. the vortex encompasses everything. a way to view everything without needing a laptop attached to the console or mechanisms inside an organic ship seems perfectly logical to me.

Ok so the BBC has a meagre budget for this show. given how strong it's become and how safe in the schedules, rethinking the tardis and having more scope within that setting seems logical also. we're not always going to be treated to alien landscapes and monsters. it gets boring seeing yet more earth bound episodes. The tardis is in almost every episode. it's a star of the show and should be so much more than it is.

So that said, what's your thoughts?

JediTricks
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not so hooked on the TARDIS that I have to see every one of its infinite rooms. Could they do a little more in there? Yes. Is it utterly necessary? No. They had a bunch of rooms in the Fox TV movie version, it got kinda stale and repetitive. A little of the TARDIS goes a long way as it is.

As for the organic issue, the interior lattice of the control room is organic branch shapes. And I don't like the idea of another organic ship interior, Moya was as close to bearable as that gets, but I've seen the idea used in scifi a few times and it's always a big letdown for me, monotone and a little disgusting. Ever watch Lexx? That's basically what you're describing as far as I can tell, and I found it acceptable there ONLY because it was a campy series.

Jargo
09-19-2007, 07:45 PM
i think colour plays a large part. and i probably didn't explain my 'vision' properly. be that as it may, I guess I'm just saying i hate the way the BBC skimps on cost where the centrepiece is concerned. it's never got past that 'set, in a warehouse' cheapness.

which now sounds like I'm whingeing. I'm not I'm just thunking. lots of it aloud. It occurs to me that what I should do is attempt to create what I'm talking about in scale to the action figures and then photograph it. I'd draw it but my drawing skills are somewhat limited.

Kidhuman
09-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing more of the Tardis. Just a few areas, not the whole thing, maybe a room or two.

Jargo
10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
More news.....

Season four sees the return of classic series monsters and foes. I mentioned the possible return of Davros in a story that reveals the 'true' origins of the daleks. but we'll be seeing the sea devils (Silurians) and the sontarans who were foes of the 3rd and 4th doctor most famously. Apparently Christopher ryan (rogue II) will play the Sontaran leader. he's played a couple of who character before in the classic series.

i mentiond ben kingsley wanting to play davros, well Patrick Stewart has expressed an interest in having a role on the show. he's playing dad to Tenants Hamlet in the gap year tenant is taking so it's highly likely they'll slot Stewart in somewhere.

The christmas special will feature a character called Porg. played by the same guy who played the Moxx of balhoon and the space pig. The porg has red skin and spikes all over his head and is probably a lampoon of Darth Maul but the characters actual role is still unclear.

The story set in Roman times is actually set in Pompeii in the lead up the volcanic eruption. AD 79. it will co star peter Capaldi and Phil Davis. Davis starred in the film Quadrophenia and alien 3. Capaldi starred in local hero and Dangerous Liasons

The BBC have said David Tenant will probably but not definitely return for season five and that they haven't ruled out the option for a movie. it's still up in the air about Russel T Davies leaving the show as exec producer and chief writer with rumours still around that Stephen Moffat who penned some of the better stories in season three tipped to take over if RTD does go.

Billie Piper is again quoted as saying she misses being in the show. saying that she's jealous of Kylie Minogue. although said tongue in cheek, it's known that many a true word is uttered in jest. I suppose she'll just have to keep trying if she wants her job on who back. maybe they'll take pity and have her back for season five alongside Martha? now that would be interesting. catfight on the tardis anyone?:whip:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, I don't want spoilers for next season, but I could use some info on what happened at the very end the most recent episode on Sci-Fi Channel. They must have been a few minutes behind. Even with setting the VCR to go a couple minutes after the hour, the end got chopped off. Martha was telling the Doctor why she had to stay but I don't know what happened after that.

Kidhuman
10-07-2007, 07:14 AM
She left, gave him her cell phone and told him, if it rings, he better come running.

plasticfetish
10-08-2007, 01:31 AM
More news...All cool news. sucks that I can't reply to any of it... except to say that I'm REALLY excited about "Ghandi" and since I'm going as (a really cheesy version of) Picard for Halloween, I'd love to see that work out.

JediTricks
10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know about that ending, the shrunken Doctor, the redeath of the Master, and Martha being a super badarse. But it paid off pretty well I guess. Great ending too, that last scene... what?!? WHAT??!

Jargo
10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Even more news.....

Season four news again. there's a rumour about the finale to the season that has the doctor fighting Davros along with his trusty sidekicks Martha, season four assistant Donna (from the christmas special last year) and Captain Jack. also calling in Sarah Jane and K9..
However the real news is that apparently he'll also somehow bring Rose back from the alternate universe.

it's said Russel T Davies wants the fourth season to go out with a bang because of the gap year following on. Which leads me to suppose that the doctor and his assistants somehow make their way to the alternate universe and meet up with Rose or a crack appears in the vortex allowing Rose to jump through into our universe. and then back again at the end.

Davros was last seen escaping in a pod in the classic series but with the revealed plot centering on the 'real origins of the daleks' that still makes me think it'll be a story set way before the birth of the war machine mutant daleks. when davros still had the use of his legs. being an alternate universe allows the writers to give us a story that leads to Davros ending up in his Dalek wheelchair. and a chance to see the Dalek beasties before the mutation. I hope so. I do get a bit bored of the salt shaker daleks and that voice.

And if Rose can somehow jump through the vortex from universe to universe then it means a possible return in season five as the docs assistant?

I also wonder if something will happen to K9 again. the K9 spinoff show is due to air in early 2008 with a brand new look for the tin dog. in the current spinoff show 'the sarah jane adventures' K9 is seen patrolling a black hole plugging a hole in the universe. stopping something or other from coming through. his task apparently taking an indeterminate length of time. if something were to happen to K9 mkIV in the sarah jane adventures leading to the creation of K9 mkV it would lead smartly to K9's own show and then an appearance with the doctor in season four. a CGI tin dog that can levitate and do tricks rather than just roll around on flat surfaces and shoot things at low level. a tin dog that's actually useful. it'd be a bit convenient and slightly tacky but RTD is fond of convenient and tacky.

Kidhuman
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
For those of you having Dr. Who withdrawls in the US, Sci-Fi has started showing them again at 5am on Friday morings. I set my DVR to record them. Also, BC America has re-runs of season 2 right now and on Tuesday morning of next week, Sci-Fi is having a marathon from about 7am - 4pm of season 2 episodes.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Any report on when we'll be getting anything new?

Kidhuman
01-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Havent heard anything on season 4, but I never saw season 2, so its a treat for me.

Jargo
01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure about season four dates. all i can find is 'spring' for our schedules. Torchwood season 2 starts here on the 16th of this month and I imagine Who s4 will begin late april. 13 episodes, one a week late april through to july.

Kidhuman
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
New Season of Torchwood also starts on BC America here soon too.

If you figure 23 episodes of Dr. Who, one a week, they start season 3 on BBC America end of the month, so around end of April it should be on here if they keep true to schedule and follow it through

Mad Slanted Powers
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I missed when Torchwood started, but was able to watch them the first few episodes on demand. Then I got behind and the ones I had missed were no longer there and I didn't want to skip any, so I didn't bother to try watching any more.

JediTricks
01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Was there a Doctor Who christmas special this year?

Kidhuman
01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I dont think there was.

I just finished watching the 8 hour marathon that was on yesterday. I cant wait for new episodes.

plasticfetish
01-09-2008, 12:16 AM
You mean >> this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/2007/votd.shtml) Christmas Special? (I'll bet JT won't look ahead. ;))

The wife watched it online, and said it was great. "Best episode ever." I've yet to see it, but I'll let you know when I do.

I'm assuming Mr. DP saw the special. Daddypants? Any thoughts?

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Rats........

Jargo
01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Series Two of Torchwood is poised to start showing on North American high-definition cable channel HDNet from Monday, February 11.

According to the channel's website, it will air at 7pm Eastern Time, although the site also carries the disclaimer that schedules are subject to change.

HDNet is available on several cable systems as well as satellite and began showing the first series last September.

I saw the Who xmas special and wasn't particularly impressed. I thought the tone was too light and the sense of peril too low. Sure it looked good. but the the story descended into farce towards the end. it had more going for it than the prior xmas special though. I'm hoping that production will improve once the production team trio of Gardner, Davies and Collinson have left. then maybe Who can strike a darker more sci-fi tone with less glib one liners.

Kidhuman
01-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Just a heads up, on Friday, Sci-Fi has a season 1 marathon on.

I just watched the end of season 2, where Rose "dies". I thought he was going to say he loved her, but I liked how his transmission cut off. Just one question, how did Mickey get to work for Torchwood or was it the Mickey from the other universe?

plasticfetish
01-20-2008, 12:54 AM
how did Mickey get to work for Torchwood or was it the Mickey from the other universe?First universe Mickey works for Torchwood in the other universe. (He's also a writer for Torchwood BTW.)

JediTricks
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
KH suggested I check out the Christmas Special online, after a false start I finally found the whole thing in decent quality. It was pretty good, obviously a takeoff on those disaster films, but it mostly was entertaining and the Doctor had a few really choice lines. I found the twist towards the end decidedly predictable, but at least they went out with a non-cliche way of wrapping it up. It could have been better, it could have been worse, but at least the Queen survived. :D

Jargo
01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
they only need to get Boadica and Mary in the show and they'll have got all the queens of england. female monarchs I mean.

the other ones are everywhere. just take bottoxed john barrowman. Actually yes - take him. somewhere far away and hopefully full of dangerous creepy crawlies.

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I just got done watching a bunch of episode that were on this weekend. Sci Fi had another marathon of season 2 and BBC America had a few also Saturday. I think I saw some of the Christmas episodes. there was one with Charles Dickens, the Unquiet Dead. I believe it also had the Eve Myles from Torchwood on it. Also saw The Runaway Bride, the one right after Rose "died".

In other news, I read somewhere that Eve Myles was up for replacing Martha(I think it was Martha) for season 4, but she went to Torchwood instead.

Kidhuman
01-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I just watched the Voyage of the Damned Christmas episode. Pretty good overall. Thanks for the better link JT. I am going to assume at the end was a preview of season 4 and that Donna from a few Christmas epsidoes back is his companion now?

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I guess that was a preview for season 4, it sure looked wild, and that indeed was it is, she's got a popular comedy show of her own but will be the Doctor's companion again for half a season or more, I've read.

Jargo
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Donna is companion for most if not all of season four. Martha returns halfway through. and from there the season builds to a kickbottom finale allegedly.

I'm hoping Donna takes a break when Martha returns. I can't stand Catherine Tate. I think she's vastly overrated.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I think I saw Catherine Tate's show on BBC America once. There was some sketch about a support group for "ginger" people.

Kidhuman
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Isnt Rose supposed to be back for 4 epsiodes also?

Jargo
01-31-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah rose and sarah jane return. apparently. big finale. I'm trying to avoid the specifics. I've already got a good idea from the few snippets of info released. i just don't want to sit through a whole season and then stop coz i know how it ends.

Kidhuman
01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Understood MDP.

Kidhuman
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Fourth Who, New Sarah Due

SCI FI Channel has acquired the fourth season of Doctor Who and its hit spinoff series The Sarah Jane Adventures from BBC Worldwide America. Both series are slated to premiere on SCI FI in April.

The Sarah Jane Adventures is written and produced by the same creative team behind Doctor Who, including multiple-award-winning writer Russell T. Davies. The series centers on Sarah Jane Smith (Elisabeth Sladen), former companion to the Doctor, who investigates offbeat mysteries with her young friends Maria, Luke and Clyde.

The fourth season of Doctor Who, meanwhile, brings back star David Tennant as the 10th Time Lord, joined by a new companion, Donna Noble (Catherine Tate), who reprises her role from the previous Christmas special. The Doctor's previous companion, Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman), also makes a triumphant return in the middle of season four.

Kidhuman
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, I need your guys help. the following link is a spoiler. It is from Dr Who Season 4 filming. If you dont want to know, please dont watch it, but is that Freakin David Eccleston in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul5RjB9Tjbw

Jargo
03-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Didn't look like it. could have been a stand in for david tenant while they rehearse the shots. they normally have someone of similar height do the job. looked like a Catherine tate stand in too. Probably crew members. it's not Chris Ecclestons voice anyway.

Kidhuman
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml

Season 4 Trailer is up. Ood, Rose, Donna, Doctor....I cant wait for it.

Jargo
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Starts here 5th April. looks ok from the trailer. apart from the giant wasps. I have no problem with giant wasps, it's just how bad the CGI looks and the fact Catherine Tate looked like she was reacting to broken finger nail rather than a ten foot flying insect with a seriously mean attitude and foot long poisonous spike in its arse. hopefully the shots used were preliminary unfinished ones.

Kidhuman
03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
I am looking forward to the Planet of the Ood. Also the whole, Martha, Donna, Rose thing.

Jargo
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah I love the Ood. Especially as they're voiced by Silas Carson. I'm looking forward to the Sontarans and the story arc of the season seems to be a few levels above the previous seasons.

Kidhuman
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I wish they would show Doctor and Martha meeting Sally Sparrow for the first time, when she gave them the info at the end of Blink. She would have been a good companion

Jargo
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Ah, but Sally had a boyfriend. The doctor only likes single chicks.

Kidhuman
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
April 11th - Sci-Fi deuts SJA at 8pm

April 18th - Dr. Who returns on Sci-Fi with Voyage of the damned

I cant wait.

Jargo
04-03-2008, 08:03 AM
it's really quiet here. the new season starts this saturday and I'd have expected some kind of huge build up. the promotion for it has been a bit weak. I think the BBC are sulking because various sites scooped them last year and leaked big stories before the BBC had chance to engage their publicity machine.

JediTricks
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think I'm gonna bother watching Sarah Jane Adventures. As for Voyage, maybe if I've got nothing else going on.

Jargo
04-03-2008, 08:35 PM
sarah jane adventures is definitely a kids show. the quality is a notch down as is the budget. hough sarah jane has a nice house and cute car....

Kidhuman
04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I probably wont watch Sarah Jane either, but I will watch voyage as I only asw it on the computer, watch it on a bigger TV. I liked it enough to catch again

Kidhuman
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I just watched the first epsidoe online and holy shizzle. Wow, the ending was awesome. I am not going to spoil it. If anyone wants thelinks PM me. Wow. I know Jargo saw it. Wow.

Jargo
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah season four episode one. couple of moments I had to stop myself from screaming at the tv "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" but a decent episode.

Confidential, the behind the scenes show that follows each episode, revealed how some of the effects were done. actors don't get paid enough for looking silly when they shoot some elements of effects.

Episode two looks amazing from the trailer.

Jargo
04-12-2008, 03:31 PM
crikey! Episiode two has got it all. drama, tension, action adventure, silly jokes, highly emotive moments, a proper foreign location, it's an episode that could yield some very cool toys. i'd better shut up and let you guys watch it. it's very old school doctor who though. without being overly wordy...

Kidhuman
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I just watched Fires of Pompeii. It was a great episode. I thoroughly enjoyed the humor in it and the nice twist at the end of it. I cant wait for the next episode, my boys are back. I have added my ood-atar to commemorate the moment.

Jargo
04-19-2008, 03:48 PM
you won't be disappointed. cracking episode. couple of ho-hum moments but mostly just really entertaining. I love the Ood. I want to adopt one.

Kidhuman
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Is it a 2 parter?

JediTricks
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I ended up watching the Titanic episode on Sci-Fi Channel last night, even though I had already seen it once on the internet. It's not a fantastic episode, but I wanted to see it in better resolution. I noticed they cut it down a little, including the Earth historian guy explaining his flaws, that's kinda lame since it better explains why the Doctor does what he does at the end (I don't want to spoil it).

Jargo
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
strangely no KH, it's a single episode story. though i turned to my partner afterwards and said it should have spanned two. they could have stretched it out more with doctor ranting and moralising dialogue and further extrapolation of the meaty heart of the story. there's a couple of characters they could have fleshed out more with backstory and motivation but it's a good episode and tells the story it needs to with a satisfying conclusion. The Ood are the same and different too this time round. one in particular....

Voyage originally ran for an extended 11 minutes over normal length I think JT. the BBC allowed the extra time because of the needs of the story apparently, it wouldn't have worked without the extra time or something. I know i would have trimmed stuff from it but it sounds like they just hacked at the version you saw.

Kidhuman
04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I also watched VOTF on Sci-Fi. I noticed some parts were cut, but it also ran 90 minutes n there.

I toughtI heard tat the Ood episode was 2 parts. I am awaiting it online and it is usually up by now, Odd that it isnt.

JEDIpartner
04-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Two words... Kylie Minogue. :love:

Jargo
04-20-2008, 09:57 AM
next week sees the start of a two parter KH. which incidentally ties into episode one. A tiny seed was planted.... check the taxi windshield as the Adipose head towards the mothership rendezvous point.

BBC iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) has the episode up but i'm not sure if you foreign johnnies can access it. iPlayer has stuff that's just aired up for a week afterwards.

Kidhuman
04-21-2008, 07:11 AM
I am guessing from the constant dropping of the Bee ting, and the preview of it, it will play a big part down the line.

I just watched Planet of the Ood and damn it was good. I liked the twist at the end. The Ood kick ***

JediTricks
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, the iplayer doesn't let you watch them if your IP is from outside the UK.

Jargo
04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
that's a shame.

Kidhuman
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Proxy server anyone?

Jargo
04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
in case you haven't read anywhere, David Tenant has signed up for season five in 2010. filming of this years xmas special is underway and it has.... no I'll stay quiet this time.

Kidhuman
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I already read the spoilers on it. I cant wait to see it and I wonder who Tennant was looking at and made him sad. You got a PM Jargo.

Jargo
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Have you seen the pics KH? a few sneaked ones have turned up. thanx for the pm though.

Kidhuman
04-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes, I have seen them. There was about 4-5 of them. Let me see if I can get a link for you

***************LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS***********

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=561218&in_page_id=1773

Kidhuman
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, I just watched part 1 of the new episode and holy CARP is it good. Wy the hell cant JT watch these things online so we can discuss them now.

Jargo
04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Damn this season is going to rock.there's always a couple of so-so episodes every season but the rest will make up for it. I'm sending you a link KH. have a good rummage around for more spoilerific pics and vids than you can shake a poopy stick at.

I loved part 1. but god they should kill off Donna's mother. I hope they drop a whole fleet of warships on her.

Kidhuman
04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah she is annoying. I havent seen a So-So episode this season yet.

Spoiler, highlight to see

The Adipose was good, the Pompei and the Ood kicked arse and this last one is great. I love the 2 parters.

End

Rocketboy
04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Has there ever been an episode where where Dr Who plays baseball?
First base perhaps?

plasticfetish
04-28-2008, 01:37 AM
No (smart ***), but Doctor What plays second base.

Jargo
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
The doctor must have played all bases coz he has a son/daughter. and quite frankly I think the dude is as free and easy as captain jack. not to mention a bit of a cradle snatcher given he's over 900 years old and always chooses such young companions. ha.

JediTricks
04-29-2008, 12:42 AM
You can discuss it all you like. If you wish to use spoiler-code to hide it, use this... wait, I just found that I already posted this same thing last year in this thread! http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=567560&postcount=142

Anyway, I thought Adipose was pretty weak, although that end moment was a really solid piece of Doctor Who twisting. But the ep was too cute, too self-aware, trying too hard to be clever, and the motivation for the new/returning companion was just not enough to believe she'd get there so well. And "oh, here's another sonic device, let's just abuse this plot device and then throw it away" - thanks a bunch. :rolleyes: Still, nice to have new eps.

Kidhuman
05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Spoilers ahead - highlight to see

I watched The Poison Sky and thought it was good. It was a decent two parter and the end was really good as I didnt expect what happened. I thought they would part ways and Donna wold be alone with him. I did like the mention of Captain Jack. People that dont know the Spoilers will see the hand bubbling in the TARDIS and think Jack is around again. But he will be.

Jargo
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Highlight to read.
been reading up on spoilers and someone put together a story arc from all the tidbits. seems like Martha, Donna and Rose all leave the doctor in differing ways at the end of this season. don't know about Cpt Jack or Sarah Jane but it looks like a lot of timeline tinkering is done to restore balance to the universes. This weeks episode 'The Doctor's daughter might answer a few more questions about the good doctor's background. Though more likely it'll throw up even more than it answers. And I can't believe they killed off Pvt. Ross Jenkins in last week's episode. Pvt.s Harris and Gray I could understand but poor old Ross was a decent character. Another one they could have developed. He'd have made an interesting companion. A pox on Russel T Davies and BBC Wales for that.
An actor named Julian Bleach who was in The brothers Grimm with Heath Ledger is tipped to star as Davros in the finale episode 2 parter. he's a sort of Daniel Craig type build and usually plays fairly grotesque characters. If Davros is going to be partially disfigured this time round it'll probably be why they chose Julian Bleach if they did. very much a physical actor in style. and probably a heck of a lot cheaper than someone like Ben Kingsley who was rumoured to be playing Davros.

Kidhuman
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
If you read the stuf about the Christmas Episode, it stated the black girl is a possible companion for the 5th season

Jargo
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
maybe for the three feature length episodes next year but I'd imagine for season 5 the doc will start off alone. then pick up a companion as he goes along. maybe.

Maybe the BBC will surprise us with something different like maybe an alien companion. Or maybe someone that's intelligent and independent and male. someone interesting. deep. non two dimensional.

I think the show can get a little more serious yet still maintain the lightness of touch. less companion soap opera and more adventure.

Kidhuman
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I honestly wouldnt mind seeing a male companion with him. What would be great is a Torchwood companion like Ianto or even Gwen

Jargo
05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
an indiana jones adventurer would be too much, but maybe a scientist explorer. someone as keen and determined to save the planet as he doctor is. y'know your trendy TV adventurer hip scientist with spiked hair and carefully managed dishevelled look. pleasing on the eye but knows his stuff too. good with survival techniques too. yeah that'd do it.

in the meantime if that chick is the next companion i have to say she's a looker.

Kidhuman
05-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Wat would be cool is if he runs into Adam again in the future, and he attempts to take reenge on the Doctor somehow.

Jargo
05-09-2008, 07:27 AM
I'd like to see him with a couple of companions, I think Ida Scott from the impossible planet/the satan pit would be cool. the doctor got on really well with her. and he did say he'd like to meet her again. Ok so she's older and not a skinny bhit o' skirt but she's clever and resourceful, full of enthusiasm and a thirst for knowledge. temper that with a young guy that's got the brawn and it's a perfect team. bring back K9 in a redesigned shape with more ability to interact, more functions, more speed and the ability to levitate and it's a dream team. well, for me anyway.

Adam I didn't like. he was interesting but a bit too weak. which is why the doctor dumped him. I don't think he has it in him to be vengeful. essentially he's a human cell phone reciever. Adam would only be of use to say, UNIT, as a field operative in covert surveillance missions. A human listening device. human wire tap. or maybe as a private detective.

Milo and Cheen who kidnapped Martha in Gridlock might be good as companions. they weren't really fleshed out in gridlock but they had potential. Quite strong characters willing to take chances and stuff. Plus they were quite pleasing on the eyes. And Milo could drive so the Doc could teach him to pilot the Tardis. Always handy to have a co-pilot.

Kidhuman
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd like to see him with a couple of companions, I think Ida Scott from the impossible planet/the satan pit would be cool. the doctor got on really well with her. and he did say he'd like to meet her again. Ok so she's older and not a skinny bhit o' skirt but she's clever and resourceful, full of enthusiasm and a thirst for knowledge. temper that with a young guy that's got the brawn and it's a perfect team. bring back K9 in a redesigned shape with more ability to interact, more functions, more speed and the ability to levitate and it's a dream team. well, for me anyway.

Ida would be good also. I forgot about her. If you want to compare age and all, Catherine Tate is older and not skinny either. I would love to see K-9 again(highlight next line) , hopefully he will be back at the end of the season when Sarah Jane comes back

Adam I didn't like. he was interesting but a bit too weak. which is why the doctor dumped him. I don't think he has it in him to be vengeful. essentially he's a human cell phone reciever. Adam would only be of use to say, UNIT, as a field operative in covert surveillance missions. A human listening device. human wire tap. or maybe as a private detective.

Adam would be good as a UNIT operative, but a nice twist would be to have him be a complete jackass after what the Doctor did to him by dumping him back home

Milo and Cheen who kidnapped Martha in Gridlock might be good as companions. they weren't really fleshed out in gridlock but they had potential. Quite strong characters willing to take chances and stuff. Plus they were quite pleasing on the eyes. And Milo could drive so the Doc could teach him to pilot the Tardis. Always handy to have a co-pilot.

I really didnt care for those two as much as some other characters. I wouldnt mind seeing say Novice Hame come back, someone with as much caring and compassion and knowledgeable as the Doctor.

Speaking of Novice Hame, what is your take on the Face of Boe? Do you think it is Jack, since he couldnt die and what he said at the end of Last/Timelords. I would say it is. Afterall he did teleport away in teleport away from the hospital in season 2, possibly he got his wrist thingamabob fixed and fused to him

Jargo
05-09-2008, 05:01 PM
RTD said that we haven't seen the last of TFOB (seeing as the BBC paid so much for the prosthetic and want their monies worth)

JACK:
And what about me? Can you fix that? Will I ever be able to die?

DOCTOR:
Nothing I can do. You're an impossible thing, Jack.

JACK:
(laughs) Been called that before. (starts to leave then turns back and salutes) Sir. Ma'am. (turns to leave again and stops) But I keep wondering…what about aging? ‘Cause I can't die but I keep getting older. The odd little grey hair, you know? What happens if I live for a million years?

DOCTOR:
I really don't know.

JACK:
(chuckles) Okay, vanity. Sorry. Yeah, can't help it. Used to be a poster boy when I was a kid back on the Boeshane Pennisula. Tiny little place. I was the first one ever to be signed up for the Time Agency. They were so proud of me. They Face of Boe they called me. (the DOCTOR and MARTHA are stunned) Hmm, I'll see you. (runs across the Plaza towards the water tower)

So he comes from a place called Boe on the Boeshane peninsula. The time agents took him as a young lad. then wiped two years worth of memory at some point. I'm going to assume that it's got to do with some sort of gene mutation or manipulation. Of course there's nothing anywhere in any of the episodes to suggest why Boe is just a face in a jar but in Gridlock he says he's the last of his kind. But Boe speaks in a manner that suggests he only knows of the doctor through reputation. almost as if the first time they meet is at Platform One in 'The end of the world'.

if I had to hazard a guess I'd say that Jack isn't the face of BOE we know. I think Jack might have dubbed him that in those missing years when perhaps the time agents had Boe imprisoned or under house arrest. Jack being witty naming an ugly captive. kinda like giving someone really ugly the nickname 'gorgeous'

I reckon the time agents are a dodgey lot and Jack somehow got wind of their shenanigans and bad practises and threatened to expose the whole thing but the time agents wiped his memories to silence him. I think the face of Boe thing jack remembers is just a fragment of something involving the real face of Boe and the time agents.