PDA

View Full Version : Clonetrooper inspiration?

Jargo
08-21-2001, 06:34 PM
Did this comparison of a piece of art that theforce.net had on their site and a picture of an early royal guard costume concept, from the book 'The star wars archives.'
What do reckon - is this the real inspiration for the descriptions of the clonetroopers wearing helmets with eyeslits and a ridge over the top? Is this how the clonetroopers will look? No-one really knows do they? I'd love for the clones to wear armour like this, all dark and mysterious and dangerous looking. It would be too much of a copout if they wore something that resembled the stormtrooper armour. This would look far more like something out of an RKO serial like flash Gordon that George seems to want to ape.

bigbarada
08-21-2001, 06:49 PM
After seeing how totally bizarre the female and kid Tusken look, I'm hoping ol' George doesn't just go with a stromtrooper/mendalore mish-mash. I'm hoping to see something totally unexpected and equally bizarre. It's all about eye-candy, people.

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 12:00 PM
in the "Art of ROTJ" book, there are several concept drawings of the Royal Guards with that vane concept. I think Lucas was looking for a more Roman Centurion feel, and with the clone troopers, is trying to merge Fett's mask with a Roman Footsoldier motif. I am totally unsure how I'll react if Lucas really does go with a "prequel" of the Stormtrooper armor.

Fulit
08-22-2001, 12:06 PM
Hold the phone Mabel, what do you mean "the way the female and child Tusken Raider look? He's changed the Tusken Raider costume? I going to go ahead and rant, why would he have it the original way in EP 1 and then change it for 2?

bigbarada
08-22-2001, 01:31 PM
Ep2 marks the first time ever we will see a Tusken female and child and instead of going with the obvious route and make them look just like the male Tuskens we are accustomed to, GL had them totally redesigned in a freaky twist on an Arab motif.

I was just applauding GL's willingness to take chances with the designs of characters, because wouldn't it suck if every prequel character was just a redesigned OT character?

And don't call me Mabel.:D

Fulit
08-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Ok as long as it's just the women and children. And as long as it doesn't look too "new", I guess I can accept it. Anyone know where to view a pic of this new costume?

Jargo
08-22-2001, 04:05 PM
The pics you speak of are the fabled realscan images that were leaked on the net not long ago. Georgey had his lawyers send letters to all the major fansites 'asking' them to remove the scans so as not to infringe on copyright ownership. However, some of us more enterprising souls have them on our hard drives and would be more than willing to share these pics with others if they should perchance leave a private message pertaining to this issue.....

I do not condone the theft of images from Lucasfilm and nor do I condone the distribution of these images for personal gain or remuneration. :)

Fulit
08-22-2001, 07:12 PM
Amazing, right after I read your last post I happened to stumble across those very pictures! The Tusken child and female masks look more futuristic, with more armor or something. I can only excuse this by saying maybe it's because they're women and children that they get better armor. It's just going to look weird after seeing what I'm used to Tuskens looking like.

Jargo
08-22-2001, 07:21 PM
So glad you were able to locate the pictorial data.....

I'm not sold on the child but the female looks kinda funky! She'll look great next to a bantha. I've got a pic of a bunch of maskless actresses which I'm sure are in the tusken female costumes. I might root it out and post it. maybe.....

evenflow
08-23-2001, 08:40 AM
Before I say anything else, I hope that the scans of the female and child Tusken Raider are not real. I hope that it was a mistake becasue they look horrible. They should just look like what we are accustomed too. As for the Clone Trooper. I just think it will be a mix of a Royal Guard, a stormtrooper, and Boba Fett.

bigbarada
08-23-2001, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't say anything "should" look like anything. This is Lucas' universe here let him do what he wants.

I'm glad he's willing to surprise the audience with the unexpected.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
Before I say anything else, I hope that the scans of the female and child Tusken Raider are not real. I hope that it was a mistake becasue they look horrible. They should just look like what we are accustomed too. As for the Clone Trooper. I just think it will be a mix of a Royal Guard, a stormtrooper, and Boba Fett. I also hope they're false, but they're probably not. I think they're not very Star Warsy, nor are they very Tusken or very Tatooine. Come to think of it, Ralph McQuarrie had envisioned the Tuskens being unable to tell which ones were female and which ones were male without discussion or disrobing due to their outfits made for the harsh weather.

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Well, the way I originally read the EU on Tusken Raiders, was that they used breathing apparatus left behind by the same miners who left the sandcrawlers for the Jawas to scavenge. if that were the case, eventually, they would run out of scavenged breathing apperati and have to start improvising with other materials. Since the rebreathers are the most effective, the men would recieve those since they have to go out and hassle moisture farmers and kill Jawas, the women and kids would have to make to with...whatever it is they are wearing. I think its silly if ALL the women are wearing the same head gear and ALL the kids are wearing the same head gear, but having different kinds of outfits is cool IMO and they should have MORE variations. Remember you've only seen 5 or 6 Tusken raiders at this point. the few who attacked Luke in ANH and the few snipers in TPM. Whose to say the other 500,000 indiginous tatooine Sandpeople are all wearing the exact same thing? that is a silly presumption...

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 10:10 AM
...and none of that diatribe was about the original topic of conversation: Clonetrooper Armor. I think Georgie will definitely have some wind of wacky 50's style, "B" Sci-fi movie throwback for the Clonetrooper Armor. Looking like a cheesy cross between a Flash Gordon 1920's serial villain and the Cylons from battlestar galactica. A real big portion of mozzarella...