PDA

View Full Version : Tycho's bad news

Tycho
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
It's hard for me to look at any situation right now without a dark cloud of gloom hanging over me.

I just learned that at my rate of kidney degradation, I have approximately 2 years or so left on this planet by way of all natural causes.

I'm being ultra-sound mapped (my veins in my arms) for dialysis tomorrow. I had a bad check up and my bloodwork reveals that only 20% of my kidneys are still functioning. I'm being put on the transplant waiting list, unless any of my friends should turn up to be "Type O" blood type and willing to donate.

I really don't plan to "live" by way of dialysis. My father did that and I don't really see it as much of a life. I'm even questioning the point of me being able to survive, to get a large house, to do you-know-what with it.

There's always the possibility I'll develop another pleasant aneurysm in my brain like the one that was supposed to kill me last summer :rolleyes:

I was reading about R2Dee2's experience and death and wondering whether I'd be "the next" to go from our little group. I've been thinking and making some plans to take care of my cats and my estate should "the end" come sooner than I expect.

I don't know what prompted me to post this in this thread and at this moment, but "change" is evidently strongly on my mind at this time.

Hellboy
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Very very sorry to hear that Tycho. Hopefully the transplant will come through though and you'll live a long and healthy life. I know it must be difficult but try and stay positive buddy.

plasticfetish
03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Jooooooosh! WTF? You're killing ME. No more bad news for you... f***!!! :(

dindae
03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow. Tycho hang in there they can do some amazing stuff will kidney. Type O isn't very rare if I recall so hopefully you can get a match quickly. I was really hoping we could permenantly retire the get well soon Tycho avatar.

Beast
03-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that Tycho. You're a nut, but my thoughts are with you. Just hang in there, and don't give up. You can't leave us until your dream of a fully poseable and lifesize Mouse Droid figure comes true. :)

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Damn Tycho, that really really sucks. How "sure" are they about the bottom line there? Doctors have been known to be wrong from time to time (my previous roommate had his spine broken, they said he'd never walk again, but less than a year later he was up and around and active) so I tend to not trust doctors and their bad news without lots of details, and even then aim for the most positive outcome. Not to be crass, but how long did your father live on dialysis? It seems like you're giving up already, I hope that's not the actual case.

Droid
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Tycho, please tell me your post is one of those crazy false truths you're always yammering about.

Seriously, we love you, Tycho. I am sorry to hear about your news. My dad gave my uncle a kidney 28 years ago, back when they weren't as advanced in what they can do for people as they are now, and my dad and uncle are still doing great.

It is good to be prepared for worst case scenarios, but don't give up. It sounds like there are still some options. I want you out there looking for your countless Hem Dazons as soon as the figure drops.

Turbowars
03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Hang in there Tycho, you have been though too much for this to be the end.

pegger
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't even know what to say...the way you are handling this shows you are a strong man. You can beat this too.

Lazer Brain
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't make me cry for you Tycho...Alls Well that Ends Well...well. Steves little journey in cyberspace is like life , one ends so a NEW one begins.I wish you well T. and to Steve March on!
later

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Had to split this off from the other thread as this is heavy duty in its own rite. Wasn't sure what title to put, this was all I could come up with, sorry Tycho.

Vortex
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Your in my thoughts man. Hang in there, and my grandfather was on the "machine" for years...just a shell of a man when it opted to stop treatment, but going out that way isn't great either.

Life is one big fight and struggle...don't toss the towel in yet.

But I'm pulling for ya.

Slicker
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Josh, you know that all of us here will pull for you again. I'm sure you'll be fine again...the sourpusses last forever.;)

El Chuxter
03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Christ, Tycho, are you sure you're seeing a real doctor and not a false doctor? :( You have had the worst medical luck in a year of anyone I've ever met.

I'm sure you know more about the situation than I do, but wouldn't it be possible to be on dialysis short-term until a donor kidney becomes available?

Either way, I'll be remembering you in my prayers and hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Tycho
03-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Steve just told me about the thread's progression here. Thanks for everyone's concern.

I hope this answers your questions: I have about 20% function in my kidneys cleaning my blood, from food etc. Your blood brings nutrients to your cells and takes away their waste. Most of your cells stay where they are (except your brain cells which members here leak all over the forums). Your blood acts like Federal Express for the rest of them.

At 10% function, one HAS to be on dialysis or their body poisons itself.

Dialysis is basically IV tubes running all your blood out of your body from your arm and then back into it around the same vein in your arm, filtered of impurities, and done for 4 hours a day, Mon. Wed. Fri (or some other 3 non-consecutive days). Kidneys are filters - think like the Ionic Breeze or something.

Kidney disease is genetic and my body when it was developing, didn't have the right gene sequencing to make good kidneys. It's not in my genetic code, so I'd also pass this gene on to any kids I might have (thus I'm choosing not to have kids). My type of kidney disease doesn't form the organs so they can filter protein well. It sort of clumps in their like pouring cement through a sponge. It's wet now, but we know it won't stay that way, and less and less of the sponge will be useable when the cement dries. High blood pressure goes along with this, presumably because more blood is being forced through less available channels for it (like rush hour) and hence, my anuerysm in my brain last summer was one such result.

Now I can't give kidney disease to anyone that's not my son or daughter. If I had children, they are likely to have the disease. If they don't, they still can pass it on to my grandchildren. Now transplant anti-rejection medication is being used to break the proteins down or something, help curing the tissue, and could help people who have this condition if it was detected very early in life. When I was starting high school and they found 4 cysts on my kidneys following pain I felt after baseball, they could have used this medacine on me then (if they'd known or if it existed as such that it does now). It is currently too late for that option for me however - but not for any future kids if I have them.

I also can't give kidney disease to a new transplanted kidney, that wasn't originally my own - because my genes didn't cause it to be created, someone else's did. If I have a successful transplant, I and my donor (if alive) will live healthy continuing lives (me for at least 50 more years or so, my donor, depends upon their age).

If I can get a kidney, sooner than later, I'll never have to do dialysis. If I have to wait for a dead organ donor, it could be 4 years or longer, and in 2 I'll have to be on dialysis it looks like.

I'm not married, don't have children, and my immediate family is dead, with those remaining being mostly elderly and likely to die in the next 5-10 years anyway. I've spent years contemplating this possiblity and I don't really intend to do dialysis as it doesn't offer much of a life and I don't have a lot to live for.

I'm not a religious person, go to the Rancor Pit if you haven't yet discovered that.

I believe you create your own purpose in life.

Mine went something like this:

Ascend in political office - ruined due to most of the corruption problems in government at Federal levels, and mismanagement at State and Local levels. Plus I'm tired of being politically correct and you all have seen me go off in TRP here as well. I don't really want to behave myself. That's not my personality. (Big surprise? Not)

Take over the world - if you think the USA is screwed up right now, look beyond its borders to see an ugly responsibility I no longer want. Someone else has to step up so I can train them to eventually become world-dictator. I don't think I want the job any longer.

Have a ton of women - just wait until my ex-girlfriend reads this part and decides to register and post :rolleyes: I've become a deciple of Tom Leykis and my former goal no longer makes that much sense - but neither did marriage or having kids, and in light of my genetics we just talked about - I'll stick by that.

Get a movie or writing career going (probably both) and make a ton of money doing something fun and enjoy the Hollywood lifestyle - see problem with the women above.

Buy an oversized house and turn it into 8-10 rooms full of Star Wars displays - my last remaining wish I really would enjoy fulfilling. But while I may not have to work to fund a great lifestyle now, what would be a $900,000 house in San Diego could not be so easily funded by my personal resources. Plus it has been a pain in the butt working in the storage garages to organize what I've got, and I'd need help building new dioramas. It's almost not worth the depression that would come along with the effort. (I'm still missing my Optimus Prime and Star Trek ships :cry: - but I haven't checked every box or even close to that yet)

So, go to dialysis 3 days a week to live for that? I don't think so.

I'm just dealing with stuff as it comes to me. I just found out the news yesterday, so don't expect me to have an improved attitude in barely 24hours.

Droid
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I am really sorry for what you are going through, Tycho. Your current thoughts are certainly understandable. When I had my appendix problems - which I always knew were just matter of waiting until I got better - I was really down in the dumps.

I don't really know you, Tycho, especially not like others around here do, but I have enjoyed reading and responding to your posts.

As I said, Josh, we do love you. Let us know any time you need an internet hug.

SirSteve
03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
And I thought I had it bad.... I am very sorry to hear this Josh... as we talked earlier, I have faith you will find a donor.

bobafrett
03-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Josh......Dude I don't quite know what to say. My eyes are filling with tears. Does the donor have to be dead? I mean, could a person like myself donate? I don't know how healthy my kidneys are, after saturating them with diet soft drinks, but I am O positive I do believe. I don't drink that often, so chances are they might work if you need one of them. (is there more than one kidney?) I'd love to come out and see California, and I have 2 weeks vacation. I'm serious here. I don't know if I could stand to see anyone else pass away.........SO DON"T YOU!

dr_evazan22
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Have you done some research into this? I've heard of this place, called EmpPalSurReCon. It's the best hospital on the planet! It stands for Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center.

Ahhh... I'm trying to joke, but that lame excuse is about the best I can come up with right now.

But I do want you to remember that, besides excellent (if painful) medical treatment, they also have an eye towards fashion - You, too, can have a fantastic blasck plastoid armor body suit. You can Wow! the girls with your fashionable black cape, you can treat them to some heavy breathing, and maybe, just maybe, they might have a chance to touch your lightsaber and feel "the Force"!

Rocketboy
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Josh, I don't know what to say, other than what has already been said, but my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish you nothing but the best.

JetsAndHeels
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Josh, I feel the same as everyone else posting here....I wish you nothing but the best during this time and I hope you are able to recover.

Having said that, I used to work at Duke Medical Center in one of the private clinics where dialysis and transplant patients were seen. All I can say is that alot can happen in due time and there is still a good chance you can get something done to improve your condition.

InsaneJediGirl
03-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your kidneys Tycho. I have confidence you will find a donor and be able to live out at least a good few decades after that. New medical advances happen everyday,so I dont think there is a need to give up.

dr_evazan22
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
An example of some of tycho's political ambitions. While he's not making a deal with the devil himself, it is still one of his lesser minions. IIRC, this was taken on the 665th plane of Hell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dr_evazan22/C3234.jpg

El Chuxter
03-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Tycho, it's way too early in the game to give up. I know too many people--yourself included, last year--who have overcome pretty dire odds. You're still young and you've got way too much to look forward to, even if it's tough to actually focus on that right now. There's not much else I can say along those lines without sounding really trite, since I've not had to deal with anything like this myself before.

But, dammit, I expect you to be bashing your head against a wall with all the rest of us in a couple of years when we try to fit the Star Wars TV shows into continuity with all the novels, and I won't take no for an answer!

JimJamBonds
03-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear about that Josh. In an odd sort of way we have a something in common in reguards to our kidneys. In the summer of '79 (I wasn't quite two) I was quite sick myself. I spent a month at Childrens Hospital in Milwaukee, Wi. Both of my kidneys were in bad shape and I actually had one removed. Knock on wood I've never had a problem since.

I've never asked a doctor but I'm pretty sure I was born at the right time, had it 1879 I'm sure I wouldn't have made it. What I'm trying to get at here is I was able to make it and so will you.

Good luck and stay stong,

Mike aka. JJB #2

Tycho
03-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Josh......Dude I don't quite know what to say. My eyes are filling with tears. Does the donor have to be dead? I mean, could a person like myself donate? I don't know how healthy my kidneys are, after saturating them with diet soft drinks, but I am O positive I do believe. I don't drink that often, so chances are they might work if you need one of them. (is there more than one kidney?) I'd love to come out and see California, and I have 2 weeks vacation. I'm serious here. I don't know if I could stand to see anyone else pass away.........SO DON"T YOU!

Dr. Evazan, thanks for posting that pic. Made me laugh and I needed that. I always wondered what happened to that shot from CIII.

BobaFrett - you are a compatible donor, seriously. (well maybe - they'll have to test you on some other basis, but O+ types are more rare. Most people are A's, B's, and ABs. O's are great donors (O-'s) because they can donate to anybody. O's (either +/- are more restricted on who they can accept donations from). Yes, a person can live with 1 kidney. Myself and a live donor would be doing just that, as both my native kidneys are shot. I doubt softdrinks destroy kidney tissue - certainly not as comparably as heavy alcohal drinkers. With polycistic kidney disease, hamburgers, sausage, etc do the most damage - however not to your kidneys if you don't have the disease (think of it as being protein intolerant).

The donor will probably have to be in the hospital 1-3 days, mostly for observation following surgery so as to see how they handle eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom afterward. Myself? A week because they'll have removed both my native kidneys and need to see if the new one is working alright. They do the surgery all the time now and at 3 different hospitals in San Diego: UCSD, Scripps Green where my cousin is a nurse and her boyfriend a doctor (not the transplant surgeon, though he is a friend of theirs - Dr. Marsh), and Sharp Memorial where my ex-girlfriend is an RN. We are checking which my insurance company perfers, as I will be paying (my insurance mostly) for all of this. Before the proceedure, an indpendent doctor will have to evaluate a live donor, also at my expense, to give you an unbiased assesment for compatibility and any personal risk (depends on your health of course).

With a single, healthy kidney (barring I don't have a heart attack or some other problem later on down the road), I could live another 50 years or longer. I won't enter any beer-bong contests of course, but I don't anyway.

I think you also are supposed to lay off on adding salt and having too much artificially processed meat (sausage, bacon, hot dogs, etc. - versus ham, chicken, fish, regular steak, etc)

Anyway, if a person wanted to take a California vacation, I'd suggest around Comic Con (SirSteve will also be here) and I'd have a place for all to stay (uh, that means about 3-4 people including myself) and having the surgery and recovery just after Comic Con, since Con is about 4 days, and for the donor at least, the surgery-recovery would be about another 4-5 days. That still wouldn't use up a whole 2 weeks worth of vacation time and a person could use my place (I'll probably still have to stay in the hospital for a few days after they are released) - but they might be there to keep me company after the operation as well.

Last time in the hospital it was certainly nice to have my friends around.

2-1B
03-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Tycho, maybe it's just me (others please feel free to chime in) but reading that last post of yours, well you already sound of a stronger mind that your earlier posts on the matter. That's good to read, IMO. :)
I certainly don't fault you for being down about this, it's a huge obstacle to face down and all I could offer was the same well wishing as the others.

But seriously dude, that last post to me looks like you're already firming up for a good long run at this problem, so good job on that, keep your head up, and like everyone else I wish you the best of luck in this. :)

Stay strong,
tony

BTW, I'm Type B Positive but if anybody needs one of my kidneys, you can have it. JimJam, what Type are you? If your current kidney ever fails you and you're a B +, you have dibs on either of mine. Both, if you need them.

JimJamBonds
03-29-2006, 01:22 AM
BTW, I'm Type B Positive but if anybody needs one of my kidneys, you can have it. JimJam, what Type are you? If your current kidney ever fails you and you're a B +, you have dibs on either of mine. Both, if you need them.

Honestly I don't remember what blood type I am. Thanks for the offer! You're the 3rd person who's made a pending donation if I need it. :thumbsup:

DarthBrandon
03-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Sorry To Hear The News Tycho, I hope bobafrett is able to donate a Kidney, that would be awesome & would most likely form a life long bond between you two. (You'll have to place him second in command of your Empire).:D I hope all goes well once again & I'll say a prayer for ya tonight. Stay positive (as I'm sure you will), things will turn around soon enough (bobafrett), I'd give you one myself, but my blood type is not compatible unfortunately.

TC & Peace

B

(Peter)

Tycho
03-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Thanks Caesar. BTW, you can't survive with BOTH your kidneys displaced.

You can donate ONE unless you're already dead. Since you're not dead, I'll just add "drive more carefully from now on!"

Meanwhile, I do have things like Comic Con (in July) that I'm looking forward to, as well as Sideshow and MasterReplicas' special deliveries, and finding a blasted figure of Cody so I can have bragging rights again, etc.

I'll be very much alive and seemingly fine through all of that. Legally, I can have a transplant at any time now - but it would be great while my health is strong and I'm doing fine now as it's been many months since my terrible fall last summer. Plus, right after Comic Con it would be an immediate "up" for many of us - even those that can't go as Hasbro will probably announce new figures there and Steve will get the pictures, etc.

(you know, of Luke Tatooine #97, Cantina Han #85, Kid Anakin #6 or 7, JarJar #12, etc - and for those that go the "Silver Sprayer" will be there "live" with a paint squirter ready to change your figure stands and holos to Ultimate Galactic Hunts right before your eyes! - You can tape your cards back together anyway since that's all Hasbro does).

But I went to a party earlier tonight and hung out with some girlfriends, met new people, etc. and I feel a lot better now. I guess it's showing. Thanks for noticing.

2-1B
03-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks Caesar. BTW, you can't survive with BOTH your kidneys displaced.

I know ;) , I also couldn't live with a bullet in the wrong place but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take one for JimJam. That's what I was trying to get across. :)

figrin bran
03-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Tycho, i didn't get to read all of this until now. i wish you the best and i'm sure you'll pull through :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
03-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Just read this Josh and wow. I hope and pray all the best for you old chap.

mtriv73
03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Wow Tycho, my thoughts and prayers are with you too. I'm A- otherwise I would go get tested to see if we match up on any other markers. As you said, 1 kidney is all we really need if we're careful. I hope you find an appropriate donor soon.

If anyone out there wants more info on living kidney donation, below is a link to the national kidney foundation's website it should answer many of your questions and I'm sure if you contact them they'll be happy to answer any others...

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozTopic.cfm?topic=11

dindae
03-29-2006, 09:48 AM

Visions of trade boards being flooded with new posts. AFA graded 85 AB+ Kidney for trade need ToyFair Vader and UGH Boba Fett.

Glad to see you more positive Tycho. While I don't buy into holistic medicine I do believe people who make an honest effort to get better and push themselves are far more likely than those that don't.

Rocketboy
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I couldn't help but smile a moment ago. In the face of something so serious, Josh is thinking "Thank you...but let's wait until Comic Con!"

Buddy, you are a geek of the highest level! :thumbsup:

Slicker
03-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Honestly I don't remember what blood type I am. Thanks for the offer! You're the 3rd person who's made a pending donation if I need it. :thumbsup:I've got something else to donate too...but I'll elaborate before the forums go down as this is still kid friendly.;)

jjreason
03-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Stay positive, Tycho. The good news here is that you're still young and strong - you'll be considered a top-notch recipient I would think. If you were older, and had other health issues you might get passed over for donation, in favor of people who were more likely to "make good use" of the organ. In your case, that won't be an issue. Talk to the doc, but I'd think keeping active might go a long way in keeping your outlook positive and your body working at peak capacity. Good luck, big fella, you know we're all behind you 100%. :)

JimJamBonds
03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I've got something else to donate too...but I'll elaborate before the forums go down as this is still kid friendly.;)

Ummmm I think I'll just say no to whatever that might be. lol

El Chuxter
03-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Are you going to donate your mom, Slicker?

jedi master sal
03-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Tycho, I'm O-

I talked with my fiancee about coming out to Comicon (well before your post about this) and had pondered asking you if we could stay there to save some cash (giving you some cash for staying there of course)....

I'd have to talk it over with her first, but well...let me talk with her first. If she agrees I'd be happy to do this for you bud. I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy so helping to heal people is in my nature.

Besides I can't let another army builder and FRIEND go out like this.

My only niche in this is that I had acute Hepatitis about 15 years ago. It's gone now and has been for nearly as long. The only thing I have left from that is slightly elevated LFTs (Liver function tests). So I don't know how that would affect me being used as a donor.

I just called Emily (my fiancee) and had to leave a message fro her to call me back. Give me til tomorrow and I'll let you know what we've decided together. If I can, I'll call my doctor and see what I have to do on my end of things to get prepared.

Heh heh, if this happens, maybe I can move to the top of the list when it comes to you getting army builders for friends?? (Just joking, heh heh)

-Sal

JON9000
03-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I hope everything goes smoothly and you are able to find a donor soon so you can have some peace of mind. And as you recover, I picture you engaging in the relaxing activity of life painting, sort of like Ted Striker in Airplane II!

Tycho
03-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks Sal - and thanks to many who have written.

I may respond to everyone some more in a little bit. There are a lot of threads I'm subcribed to here...

Meanwhile, though I can do the surgery any time now, it won't be a pressing need for maybe as long as 2 years, though by then I could be in weaker health. In 4 years I could be critical. That's to clarify this in case it wasn't before. The usual donor list (for accident victims who donate their organs etc. is at least 4 years, about). Some of you may be right, that because I'm young I might receive priority because I have greater chances of prospering with the new organ. But nothing I have understood 'officially' yet says it's anything than get in the back of the line, and as of at least yesterday, I'm the last person in the line.

Meanwhile, my Uncle is getting tested today or tomorrow. He's my mom's brother so there's no danger he'd have my father's gene for the disease. We're going to see how that goes this week I believe.

DarthBrandon
03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Are you going to donate your mom, Slicker?

That so reminded me of American Pie for some reason.:D

jedi master sal
03-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Well keep me in mind then should Em and I give the okay. I'm working on my health right now too, so in a year or two's time I should be in MUCH better shape and be able to donate an even healthier kidney.

-Sal

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I just saw this thread . . . Tycho, I know you can beat this, especially after all you're been through. Stay strong!

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I just noticed this thread, too. I hate jumping in so late in the game because anything I can say sounds contrite and overused.

Regardless, I can only wish you the best, Josh. My prayer list is filling up fast, but there's always room for one more.

Do you have any idea in terms of length as to how long the kidney waiting list is? If someone walked into WalKindeys and said "Here's a kidney for Josh", would YOU get THAT kidney (provided it matched, etc...) or would that just bump you up the list a spot? I always wondered that.

JediTricks
03-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Tycho, glad to see you're getting more positive about this. Best of luck! And Rocketboy's right, your comment about doing it right after SDCC, classic! :D

Sal, that's got to be the most unique way of joining Tycho's San Diego Collectors Group. ;)

Tycho
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
As far as a national donation holding? I haven't researched them, but my guess would be I'd just move up in line like I was waiting for movie tickets or something. If I walked in with a donor in person, I'd likely walk out a week later with a new kidney - and a lifelong friend.

Anyway, there's still plenty of time before this becomes an emergency I guess. I was last checked in December and they found no new signs of aneurysms, so on that front I think I am safe.

Beast
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
As far as a national donation holding? I haven't researched them, but my guess would be I'd just move up in line like I was waiting for movie tickets or something. If I walked in with a donor in person, I'd likely walk out a week later with a new kidney - and a lifelong friend.
Sounds like the perfect plot for Brokeback Mountain II. :)

*Sorry, needed to interject some humor into this. Get better, Tycho.*

JediTricks
03-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Sounds like the perfect plot for Brokeback Mountain II. :)

*Sorry, needed to interject some humor into this. Get better, Tycho.*
"I wish I could quit your kidney!"

Tycho
03-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the link, mtriv73. I learned a lot of interesting information.

Not to be crass, but how long did your father live on dialysis? It seems like you're giving up already, I hope that's not the actual case.

My Dad started dialysis when he was 41 or 42 I think (around 10 years older than I am - believe me, I think about that as one of the reasons why I won't have kids of my own!). He had a supposedly successful transplant around age 45 I think. It didn't take, he fought with my mother about "eating right," and they eventually divorced over her lack of compromising when it came to nursing skills, (they were two different kinds of people who stuck together mostly because they thought I should have a 2 parent family and role models, and they were pooling their money to buy a lot of real estate before the big boom - it didn't do me any favors until actually after they'd both passed away - not that I don't miss them both (and would glady deal with each of them occasionally, but separately). Meanwhile, my dad developed a cholesterol / heart problem on top of his kidney condition. He returned to dialysis I'm guessing at age 46 or 47, not too long after his transplant. It might have been sooner or later than that. Anyway, he died at age 54 when I was 21. Slightly on a tangent, his father, my paternal granpa, died at 63 from the same causes. So it appears like a 10 year declining cycle. Should I live, I don't want to burry my own son when he's about 20 years old :rolleyes:

Like I mentioned earlier, they are having some luck with anti-rejection drugs that transplant recipients have to take. They are reversing the damage. If I did have a kid, they'd take the medacine all their lives so they're not 80 on the inside when they are 20 on the outside, but I'm too far gone for the meds to do much for me. If they'd developed them in the '90's, I should have been taking them in high school instead of damaging myself more in sports like I insisted on doing.

Droid: your news about your dad and uncle is some of the most inspiring: 28 years after a transplant with donor and recipient doing fine. Your dad and your uncle - I guess you would know. (This isn't "Uncle Grievous" right? ;) )

A success like that would boost me almost to my 70's, which is fine to me - I'd even outlive my own paternal grandpa by a decade! And in 30 years, you'd better believe I'd get myself some serious Star Wars real estate!

Droid
03-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Droid: your news about your dad and uncle is some of the most inspiring: 28 years after a transplant with donor and recipient doing fine. Your dad and your uncle - I guess you would know. (This isn't "Uncle Grievous" right? ;) )

A success like that would boost me almost to my 70's, which is fine to me - I'd even outlive my own paternal grandpa by a decade! And in 30 years, you'd better believe I'd get myself some serious Star Wars real estate!

Glad I could cheer you up a bit, Tycho. My family has been lucky in that my uncle seems to be the only one that has any kidney problems. Actually my mother was worried when my dad gave my uncle his kidney because she was concerned my sister and I might have kidney problems and need my dad's kidney. Luckily that never happened.

And no, we have do not have any cyborgs in the family ... that I know of :shocked:

Droid
03-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Found this interesting:

Kidney Transplant Timeline

1905: Xenotransplant First Rabbit Kidney Grafted Into Human: French surgeon Dr. M. Princeteau grafts pieces of a rabbit kidney into a 16-year-old with kidney failure; the patient dies two weeks later.

1906: Xenotransplant First Pig Kidney Grafted into Human: By joining the kidney to the blood vessels of her arm, French surgeon Dr. Mathieu Jaboulay grafts the kidney of a pig to a woman. She lives for one hour.

1909: Xenotransplant First Non-Human Primate Kidney Grafted onto Human: Dr. Ernst Unger of Germany grafts the kidneys of a macaque onto the thigh of a woman. She dies 32 hours later.

1923: Xenotransplant First Lamb Kidney Grafted into Human: Dr. Harold Neuhof grafts the kidney of a lamb into a human patient. The patient dies nine days later.

1952: First Kidney Transplant: Dr. Hamburger and his team transplant the first human kidney. The kidney is taken from female traffic accident victim and transplanted into her son. The kidney initially functions well, until it is rejected 22 days later.

1954: First Successful Live Donor Kidney Transplant: Drs. Joseph E. Murray, Hartwell Harrison, David Hume, and John Merril perform the first successful kidney transplant at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (now Brigham & Women's Hospital - Partners Healthcare) in Boston. The transplant is from Ronald Herrick into his identical twin Richard. Richard Herrick lives for another eight years. Murray becomes one of the co-winners of the 1990 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine along with E.D. Thomas "for their discoveries concerning organ and cell transplantation in the treatment of human disease."

1962: First Kidney Using Cadaveric Donor: New tissue typing techniques and immune suppression with drugs are used for the first time in a human kidney transplant of a cadaver donor at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (now Brigham & Women's Hospital - Partners Healthcare) in Boston.

1989: First Combination Heart, Liver, and Kidney Transplant: Surgeons at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, transplant a heart, liver, and kidney into a 26-year-old woman. She survives for four months.

1992: Xenotransplant First Bone Marrow (and Kidney) Transplant from Non-Human Primate: University of Pittsburgh researchers transplant baboon bone marrow and a kidney into a patient. The patient dies 26 days later due to infection.

1995: Transplantation of All Abdominal Organs: In order to transplant a new kidney, pancreas, stomach, liver, large and small bowel, and one iliac artery, doctors at the University of Miami in Florida remove all abdominal organs from a patient with Gardner's syndrome.

1999: New Procedure to Enable Kidney Transplant: Researchers from the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore announce the development of a new procedure called High PRA Rescue (high panel reactive antibody rescue). High PRA can be developed after a pregnancy, a previous blood transfusion, or an earlier kidney transplant. The blood of individuals with High PRA (about 20% of people on the kidney transplant list) has high levels of rejection antibodies, putting sufferers at a greater risk of rejection than cell-mediated rejection. As the antibodies will react with a large portion of the population, the condition significantly increases their waiting time for a kidney.

The High PRA Rescue procedure involves plasmapheresis, in which patients are connected to a machine that removes their blood, separates the serum containing the antibodies, returns the red and white cells and platelets, and replaces the serum with a protein solution. Patients are also treated with three anti-rejection drugs.

My dad donated his kidney in 1977. My uncle has had my dad's kidney since the year A New Hope was released.

2-1B
03-30-2006, 11:55 AM
What's with all that Dr. Moreau stuff up there ? lol lol lol

LTBasker
03-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Just found this thread, sorry to see all this crap happening to you Tycho, I hope things work out for you. Pretty admirable though how well you've been able to handle this and how you handled the stuff in the past.

JediTricks
03-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Seems like 10 years more life is a lot of time though, a lot of time to think new thoughts, add new perspectives, see new things, I'd hate to see you give up on that simply because of the struggle and limitations with dialysis. One thing I heard not too long ago is "regret the things you have done, not the things you haven't" and it really feels true to me. Anyway, hopefully none of this stuff will matter, you'll just get a donor kidney and can look back on this years later with a chuckle.

Kidhuman
03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe if you ate lots of kidney beans, one would be planted into you and grow into a whole new kidney. :p

Tycho
03-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't think it works that way Kidhuman, but your attempt at humor was sort of funny.

I just had ultrasounds done on both my arms today, mapping my veins for dialysis (in case of an emergency). I won't require surgery for installing a shunt yet, according to my doctor as of Monday, but needless to say, I'm not thrilled by all of this.

With a successful transplant, yeah I would like to breath a sigh of relief and just go "whew! It's over now." I guess sooner than later we'll all see.

2-1B
03-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Following KH's advice would be bad because if you eat too many beans you'll need a rectal transplant as well.

Tycho
09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
I FOUND THIS PICTURE

in the MySpace profile of one of my "friends," - Shannon - who I met through my kidney disease support group online.

I swear I hope that my own kidneys are not that bad, but they probably are - the scans show they are 4-5 times a normal person's size and I really want them taken out of my body. I am still very young for this and want a flat stomach and nice physical appearence again.

In the picture below, a normal kidney is on the left. What polycistic kidney disease does inside of you is on the right. This is a hereditary disease. I can't give it to anyone unless I have children. You see why I must never do that.

"I am NOT your father." - Tycho

Anyway, makes me just want to die if I can't just get a transplant over with...

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
That is seriously gross. :eek:

I found out not too long ago that my niece's grandmother on her father's side (not my sister's side) has PKD, they live together and she spends a lot of time with my niece - it's a mixed feeling situation, she's not all that nice a person and somewhat emotionally-destructive, but she does love my niece and wants to spend time with her while she can.

mericen
09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I also have had many family members die from polysistic kidneys. My Dad's mother, 3 uncles, 3 aunts and a brother all died from it. I also think both his sisters and one other brother has it. I do not think my Dad has it, and I have been tested for it, and I do not have it. Hopefully it will remain this way. I wish you the best of luck.

Tycho
09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, you can see why I'm scared about what may be inside of me. (A normal kidney is on the left of the picture)

I'm the same sort of mixed-feeling situation I would think. I'm not all that nice a person and somewhat emotionally-destructive myself, but I don't know if I got that way because of what I've been going through, or I was going to be that way to begin with.

I started out with a very big and open heart, believe it or not. I grew up with a strict military father who I inherited my disease from. He always fought with me and my mother, as did she and I fight. Eventually, they both died.

Of course my argument is "environment over inheritence," but I classify my health concerns as part of my environment, as I don't think you really inherit your personality.

JEDIpartner
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
As we've discussed at length on MySpace... I'm with you in spirit, bro! :)

scruffziller
09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Holy Crap Tycho!!!! I didn't know this thread was here. My prayers are with you man!!

Kidhuman
09-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, that is extremely nasty looking. I pray you get the transplant. & to you man

General_Grievous
10-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I just found this thread. I am extremely sorry to hear about this, Tycho, and I hope and pray that everything works out for the best.

Tycho
10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks General Grievous and everyone else who wrote. I don't have any update for you all right now. I'm just living every day. We'll see what happens.

Tycho
09-27-2007, 01:24 AM
I had a rough meeting with my nephrologist today.

My kidney function is down to a combined 11%. My blood creatinine is 6.0.

3 months ago I had about 15% kidney function or a little more.

My doc wants me to seriously consider having a surgery to build a large access vein in my arm so I can get stuck with needles 3 times a week to have my blood cleaned in dialysis for 4 hours a night while I hudder under blankets, shivering (most people get really cold).

I may have to survive that way until I can get a blood type O+ kidney donated or have one come up that matches me on the transplant list.

Every month I get poked and I supply the matching lab with some of my blood so they can tell if they have an organ coming to them that will work and save my life.

I can't tell you how angry this whole situation makes me. Well, you probably know by my rant posts, (but I've been in somewhat good humor lately).

Anyway, what is there to do?

What do I want out of life?

a public service career where I can help other people? - don't have the energy

a wife, or long-term girlfriend? Not sure that's going to work. I don't trust.

a big house to set up all my Star Wars stuff? - that might yet happen.

an otherwise interesting career - perhaps my fiction will be successfully published?

Live to have my funds drained for medical expenses? The doctors and health industry would love that. My contribution to so many people's salaries while I waste away on machines to live. (They do have a portable dialysis type of thing so I can go "Darth Vader" I suppose). But I'm not afraid of dying and I certainly don't want to live to just pay the bills. That's not living.

But I may have a best-seller one day, and then I'll want to be around to be an adviser on the movie made of my book - and maybe to write some more?

So who knows. My left side by my lower back (and kidney?) is aching right now. I need to lie down. It's getting uncomfortable and I'd rather not push it to the point where it's painful.

Slicker
09-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Wow Josh. This is truly unfortunate.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you a kidney.

Dar' Argol
09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
This sucks Josh! If I matched you I'd give you a kidney . . . don't know if you'd want it though. Kidney stones are not fun . .. not that your having fun now but . . . . I really hope someone can come through for you. If I prayed to some deity I would.

bigbarada
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I'll keep you in my prayers, Tycho.

JEDIpartner
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm really shocked that someone hasn't stepped forward to help. :(

BIG HUGS, brother...

Droid
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking about you, Tycho.

jonthejedi
09-27-2007, 02:30 PM
You have more of us praying for you, Josh, than you are probably aware. Good things will come to good people...I really believe that. I constantly try to understand why my son, and so many others, have dehibilitating afflictions. I realize it's probably not meant to be understood by the likes of me, but by a higher power. Every day is a gift. Take things a day at a time; continue to be as brave as you have been. The whole medical bill issue is a forum onto itself of discussion...and I feel your pain there. Hang in there, and I hope your needs will be provided...very soon!

Kidhuman
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Damn Josh, I hope you all the best and that everything works out fine. You will be in my prayers.

El Chuxter
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Ouch.

I'm praying for you too, bro. Anything else I can do, let me know.

JON9000
09-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Keep the faith Tycho, human knowledge grows every day, and if you can hang in there, it may not be too long before stem cell research allows for aggressive treatment of your condition (so I have heard)!

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 03:41 PM
That's awful Tycho. You already know my thoughts on this matter from what I posted in this thread and previous conversations, specifically what route I think you should take.

Kidhuman
09-27-2007, 03:49 PM
That's awful Tycho. You already know my thoughts on this matter from what I posted in this thread and previous conversations, specifically what route I think you should take.

Dont tell him Suicide. It isnt that bad.

Tycho, I am playing. I know JT wouldnt tell you that(I hope)

JediTricks
09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
My previous posts in the thread say what needs to be said here: get the dialysis.

General_Grievous
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm praying for the best, Tycho.

jjreason
09-27-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm with JT, Tycho - you might not want the dialysis based on your recollections of your fathers' bouts with same - but medicine has changed a LOT in the interim. Collect as much info as you can - maybe even ask straight up if things are different now. I hope your doctors are great at explaining things to you, and even more great at working at getting this fixed up.

pegger
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Dude - my prayers are with you too.

DarthQuack
09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
My prayers are with you as well Tycho...here's hoping for the best.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Tycho, your situation is dire but I have every confidence that you and the medical personnel you are surrounded with will make the right decision. Keep in mind that you have scores of people scattered around this country who think of you and are pulling for you all the way. Keep the faith brother.

figrin bran
09-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Tycho, my prayers are with you as well.

Tycho
10-04-2007, 02:19 AM
A friend of mine from my kidney disease support group turned me on to this information:

No need for matching blood types for kidney transplants at Cedar-Sanai Hospital in Los Angeles. (http://www.csmc.edu/12391.html)

I called them today to schedule lab testing to be approved for transplant in their hospital (I'm a Scripps' patient in San Diego) and I am going to learn all I can as to what might widen my options that could literally save my life (and keep me off dialysis).

The girl in my group had a kidney transplant last May. She is 29 years old and her mother gave her a kidney.

As you might be aware, most of my family is dead. I'm the last of my line (no doubt the world is thankful for that).

But this might mean there is a great chance that anyone can step up and save my life. Of course, when you read the article, you'll note that another "O+" blood-type would be most the most idealic match for me - but there are other options.

To be considered a donor, the hospital will likely draw a tube or several samples of your blood, take a urine sample, ask you to check and record your blood pressure on 3 different days, and finally probably use an ultra-sound image of your kidneys to check them. My insurance covers everything for a donor. It's already been pre-approved. You don't pay anything.

A donor is typically in the hospital for 2 days for observation after one of their kidneys is removed, and then asked to return for a few scheduled visits for check-ups, which probably involve a blood draw and urine sample.

My medical insurance covers my donor for a full year following the surgery.

JediTricks
02-04-2009, 02:23 AM
I am so privileged to be able to bring this thread back to the top of the forums with the best news possible. Thanks to this very discussion, our friend Tycho now has a new kidney. I'm not going to say who just yet, some of you already know, but it's amazing to see this thread progress from the worst possible news all the way to the best possible news. As Hasbro's Derryl DePriest said to Steve Sansweet at Comic-Con last July, "have you heard the story of the Star Wars kidney?" Well, that story today has a great final act!

I must be honest with you guys, I was very concerned when there were these offers of donation that it was going to go nowhere, it was going to build up Tycho's hopes and then dash them when "just another internet thing" happened and the rug got pulled out from under him. Yet when it looked like there was some real traction going, I started to have a glimmer of hope, and that's when the forums got turned off by the former owners so it was one of the secret driving factors behind me starting up SWcollecting, to make sure as many of the folks who offered could continue that process. Thankfully, exactly that happened, the conversation continued until Steve got SSG back and the forums online. We all got back to talking here, we helped talk Tycho into extending his life a little longer on dialysis, and time went by. Then, after 1 false start last year due to complications beyond anyone's control, now our friend Tycho has his donated kidney thanks to the generosity of the Star Wars community and one incredibly brave forumite! Truly, the Force is strong with our Star Wars collecting group, and great good can be done with that power!

sith_killer_99
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
A truely amazing story.

that's when the forums got turned off by the former owners so it was one of the secret driving factors behind me starting up SWcollecting, to make sure as many of the folks who offered could continue that process. Thankfully, exactly that happened, the conversation continued until Steve got SSG back and the forums online.

What?!?!?:confused:

When did all of this happen WTF?!?!

JediTricks
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The site had been under outside management at the time, and on March 31st, 2006, they shut the forums down without advance notice. You'll notice that Bobafrett had only just posted 3 days before, and a few posts later, this thread's dates jump from March to September. So it really is with the greatest fortunes, luck, the Force, whatever, that Tycho's kidney donation didn't get derailed at the outset by unforeseen circumstances.