PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to our Micro Machines forum?

RobertDD
03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Robert, and while I'm not a frequent poster (I find I usually have little or nothing to add) I am a avid collector of Action Fleet and a frequent visitor of this board. I bet there's more people out there like me.

I was shocked to read that Sir Steve will be leaving this site. It does bring up the following question: will we (the Micro Machine community) stay here, or will we get a new home on Sir Steves new site www.stevesguide.com (http://www.stevesguide.com)?

For "leadership" in this decission I am looking to people like Good Shot Janssen and others of forum fame :razz: to let us know what they are doing. I'm feeling that I will follow to where ever the community takes me. I have no specific loyalties to this domain name, only to the crowd in this forum. The worst result I feel this change can have is that we get spread out over two forums, so lets make sure that does not happen!

sergiurusu
03-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I hope the forums will stay alive. This was one of the first SW forums where I posted. Have to agree that I mostly posted on the MM section and I have good friends here and want to stay in contact with them.

Warstar
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I feel the same way- loyal to the people, not to the domain.

*SIGH*

I don't know. There's so much data here- almost 10 years worth- that I find it sad that Steve has to part with it. Building a new site will be tedious at best- at most, extremely difficult.

I'll go where VT, JT, Sicqnus, etc.- the vets- go. They've got the connections and the collecting know-how and prowess that I have come to respect.

No forum moving will ever change that :)

JediTricks
03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I can't stay under these circumstances, knowing some of the stuff I do about what has lead to this situation, it just doesn't feel right, and I have no idea how Action Online will continue to run the site or even IF they continue to do so, thus I will be going to the new site. It's tough, all of our conversations for the past 5 years have been in here, I don't want to lose that, we've spent more time here than we did on the actual Galoob Buzz Board. The last time we moved was from the old version of the SSG forums to this, we didn't port over our conversations there and it did work out, but I understand this situation may be different for some of you based on how much time has elapsed.

GSJ seems to have disappeared again, I hope he's ok, I know the last unexpected extended absence was due to family situations and probably this is more of the same.

Warstar
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I wonder if the site will continue? I remember for a while there sometime in the last 10 years when Starwarsguide.com lead you to SirStevesGuide.com (don't go there now, though- POP-UP AD CITY!) I wonder if ActionOnline will attempt to get that domain again and go from there?

Either way- if people leave, I leave (and my text-based list of the Titanium Variants go with me! :D)

britcit3
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
This is very depressing - I have at least "lurked" on this site pretty much every day since about 1999 when VT brought me into the fold (I'll be very interested to hear his thoughts).

I suppose if the new StevesGuide.com doesn't have a specific MM/AF/Titanium forum, I'll pretty much migrate to Rebelscum, although SSG was always my prefered forum.

Keep us posted, JT.

BC3

Kidhuman
03-30-2006, 01:56 AM
I will volunteer to run the MM forums over there if we have one JT. I just started collecting the Titanium line and have goten some really good info from people here. I hope it continues to the point is has. I have no la\oyalty to action online, but to JT Steve and everyone here and hope to see all on the new boards along with
Warstars list. WS, it is packed and all giddy for its cross country trip, again, sorry about the delay. Next one....shipping on me.

Warstar
03-30-2006, 02:24 AM
YAY! Toys r' good, umm kay?

Thanks for the offer KH- I might have to take you up on that ;)

I'll take the list to the new forum fo sho'.

I snicker at Rebelscum a little for reporting a BR Falcon "Package Variant" (Old Wal-Mart Wave 4 vs. Retail Wave 4) How long have we known about them now? 4? 5 months? :D :p

Kidhuman
03-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Quite a while we have known this.

JediGoofy
03-30-2006, 07:19 AM
I have no specific loyalties to this domain name, only to the crowd in this forum.
The same for me.

I came here when the old Galoob buzzboard was shut down, and I found a lot of people from that old board. Some of them are still here, some other lost the interest in MM or SW, but there is a continuity in the group of people. This is the reason why I hope there will be a MM section in the new forum and we will move all together. :)

Ciao,
JediGoofy

LTBasker
03-30-2006, 10:30 AM
A shame some important threads will be lost such as the Marilyn has passed away and VT's bounty threads.

vulcantouch
03-30-2006, 01:06 PM
-do you see that stoppin any of us, especially me? ;)

bc3: "VT brought me into the fold"
-i'd say that, in building your useful site, you brought yourself into it :cool:

ltb: "VT's bounty threads"
ws: "I'll go where VT"
bc3: "very interested to hear his thoughts"
-i'm honored :cool: my thoughts would much depend on ss' reply to my query (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=467665&postcount=208). but since no reply, public or private, seems to be forthcoming (and given the nonreplies to other perfectly-reasonable queries in the past, i'm not surprised), i currently see no reason to abandon this ship just on his say-so. maybe in the future, if AO wipes a lot of dialog history here, or employs heavy-handed moderation (since it took me long enough to teach jt & co. sound mod judgment, i'm not eager to lurn a whole new set of traffic cops :p ). but for now my imperfect answer is the one rdd understandably dreads above- to spread myself among two forums, for the time being anyway. as a practical matter it wouldn't be that much more trouble to check in on two sites instead of one. but something's inevitably lost in dividing, between two locations, the vibe of the one saloon we've all come to for mm talk.

"A shame some important threads will be lost"
-indeed; in addition to the fun (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=6980) quips & commentary (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=25185) to which i frequently hyperlink-refer others (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=17869) or view for a laugh, i've built at least four "databases" here- the huntthred, the hump (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=2216), fashreports and of course "the DEEspensation"- that i frequently consult for practical reasons. importing these to the new joint in any kind of presentable form would be troublesome enough for me to first ask Why i might wanna do it; on that note. . .

jt: "knowing some of the stuff I do"
-which would be. . . ??
this site may've been ss' creation, but he's rarely visited the mm forum, a corner to which the rest of us here've contributed much to enhance the character of. mere squatters we may be, but dedicated, prolific ones, and as such i think we deserve a bit better than to be asked out of the blue to abandon the history we've built here for no more reason than the vague "irreconcilable differences" between the founder and the entity to whom he sold the site. by the way, i'm sure i'm not the only one here who didn't know that last fact, much less the original reasons behind or subsequent effects of it, aside from the current dispute whose issues we're all still in the dark about.
i've said before that, given ss' absence and jt's ubiquitousness here, jt Is sirstevesguide to my mind. even so, while i'd appreciate him providing answers to which he's undoubtedly privy and which ss has neglected to, i'm not expecting him to, as i recognize the potential awkwardness of his position. on the other hand, there's nothing preventing him or ss from emailing answers to me Privately, and my in turn discreetly emailing those answers to any regular who indicates here they'd be interested in them. after all, 3rd-party random elements who answer to no one but still can be trusted do have their uses ;)

ws: "I snicker at Rebelscum"
-yeah, the only time they ever got mm scoops or databases right is when they stole them from here ;)

jt: "GSJ seems to have disappeared"
-i plan to email-notify him, swaffy & other currently-absent regulars so the change won't take em by surprise :)
"i feel like i've been handed a weapon, sent into a room and told to erase my memory i mean shoot a stranger" - picard to macduff, TNG's "conundrum" :p
vt

RobertDD
03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
To VT:
I DID notice that never EVER stopped you. :razz:
But seriously, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. I do not know Sir Steve and, while he graciously has provided a home for us AF-ters and MM-ers I have no insight or knowledge on his quarrel with the domain owner, nor do I expect to get any. Thus, it is kind of tough making a decision to just chuck all this super useful and interesting history based on his unfounded (to me) decision.

On the other hand: I do trust the motives of a fellow enthusiast collector more than a commercial toy store.

From the reactions in this thread people do seem divided and that is what I was afraid of. I, for one, can't imagine having VT and JT in different forums and the hobby and my enjoyment of it will suffer. I do hope that you guys can come up with one, uniformal decision in the near future.

BTW, one thing I feel strongly about (and from comments here I think others do too) if we go to the new site, I propose we should open a thread in the memory of Marilyn. Maybe it would be nice to make that the first thread opened on that site.

RobertDD
03-30-2006, 04:47 PM
By the way, I can't believe that when I FINALLY make the 100 posts (after what? 4 years or so) so I can put up my own avatar (I was gonna do red eyesocket George Lucas) the whole thing is in jeopardy! lol

JediTricks
03-30-2006, 11:51 PM
I suppose if the new StevesGuide.com doesn't have a specific MM/AF/Titanium forum, I'll pretty much migrate to Rebelscum, although SSG was always my prefered forum.

Keep us posted, JT.It already has a TS/MM forum just waiting for us to fill it up.

-i'm honored :cool: my thoughts would much depend on ss' reply to my query (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=467665&postcount=208).He may have missed it, there's a lot of comments in there, plus your queries always have very confusing wording, only the VT-initiated can usually decipher it. The forums content database is Action Online's, you can take your content, but Steve cannot take the forums database and import it over there, nor does he know what Action Online will do with the site once they part company.

-which would be. . . ?? Things I am not allowed to share, and I don't have the complete story either.

i think we deserve a bit better than to be asked out of the blue to abandon the history we've built here for no more reason than the vague "irreconcilable differences" between the founder and the entity to whom he sold the site.You didn't complain when we moved from the last version of the forums to these, same situation, just more history. It does suck that it is going down this way, but once Steve goes there's no knowing how it will be run, or even if they'll keep it going at all.

there's nothing preventing him or ss from emailing answers to me Privately, and my in turn discreetly emailing those answers to anyone who indicates here they'd be interested in them.Perhaps that's why I'm asked not to tell others about this behind-the-scenes stuff. I am trusted to keep these things to myself, and I honor that.

JediTricks
05-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Ta da! They have been saved!

britcit3
05-19-2006, 02:03 AM
YAWN.......................

Just had this really wierd dream where SSG shut down and all the MMforumers migrated to another site!

Wierd dream, eh?

BC3

Kidhuman
05-19-2006, 02:57 AM
YAWN.......................

Just had this really wierd dream where SSG shut down and all the MMforumers migrated to another site!

Wierd dream, eh?

BC3

It wasnt a dream.

sergiurusu
05-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Glad to be back!!:thumbsup:

RJarvis
05-19-2006, 05:59 PM
ok...this may sound a bit silly and i might not have given due diligence in my researching current posts, but there seem to be a lot of absent threads ... (i.e. vt bounty hunter, r2dee2, etc.) am i just missing them? are they somewhere else?

feels a little like being lost in your own house...

:ermm:

thanks...

rj

Kidhuman
05-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Since the forums were closed for more than a month, you have to change the settings at the bottom of the page to display them.

BountyHunterScum
05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Off topic, Jedi someone at wikipedia has a strong hold now, all the star dreadnaught references have been erased. I was shocked that the smart people actually took the place over. Good to see this place back.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Did the "fixer" use source links to SW.com or something? That's how I'd get a foothold on the issue.

BountyHunterScum
05-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Did the "fixer" use source links to SW.com or something? That's how I'd get a foothold on the issue.

I guess, these Saxton sheep don't care about the official sources. They change anything to suit their master's point of view. He's some theoretical astrophysicist or something. Basically spending his life going from one university to another. I don't know how the offical info got a foothold, I bet it was one hell of a fight though.

vulcantouch
05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
-hey, just leave the wisecracks to me and go make with a wantlist over on the dee thred, mister concerned-with-fitting-tributes ;)

kh: "have to change the settings at the bottom of the page"
-yeah rj, i've always had mine set for "show threads from the beginning" and that way i can see it all :)
speakin of history, lest we forget the brief history built up at jt's fallback truckstop, here's a linky to it (http://swcollecting.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12) :)
btw, xchange w/jt didn't stop w/his march 30 post above; it continued via multiple emails cc'd for the viewing benefit of several other forummers, which i can post here or email to people depending on level of interest expressed :)
vt (http://swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=589&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=35)

RobertDD
06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
The last couple of months have been horrible! One day I start this topic, the next day I cannot access the forums anymore. So I patiently wait the two weeks or so for the new stevesguide site to go up, and then that went away without any explanation.
For the first six or seven weeks I tried here every day and feferishly googled phrases like "Steve MM", "GSJ Action fleet", "Jeditricks Star Wars" and "Vulcan out of touch" but nothing came up. With no new AFs in the stores and no forum to read any news I started to give up hope.

So, just today, for the first time in what seems like forever, I figure, what the heck, I'll give the sirstevesguide another look, and it's all back!
IT'S ALL BACK!!! (read capitalized letters out loud)

So what happened???

-hey, just leave the wisecracks to me and go make with a wantlist over on the dee thred, mister concerned-with-fitting-tributes ;)
BTW, VT, I hope it's OK that I really don't want anything from Dee's collection. To be honest, I feel a little sad knowing that that collection (which must've been huge) is all being broken up into small pieces, although I guess I'm glad it gets to people who really care and doesn't get ebay-ed.

Slicker
06-24-2006, 10:02 PM
So what happened???
JT was totally awesome enough to set us up a home in exile at swcollecting.com (http://swcollecting.com/). He did it out of the goodness of his heart and we are grateful for it.

There were a couple of others that didn't make it there but for the most part we have most of the original posters back and at it again.

RobertDD
06-25-2006, 12:40 AM
I just read some of the history there. I wish I'd known the location when this here was down, but I am very glad we're all back. This has been my sole source of AF news for a while now...

Kidhuman
06-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Glad you attempted the site again Robert. We tried to get as many people as possible to go there, but couldnt get everyone.

vulcantouch
06-25-2006, 06:56 PM
-during the lockout i made a coupla (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=saga2006&Number=1840565&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1784520&Search=true&where=&Name=1030&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1840565) drop-ins (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=lookdenver&Number=1840629&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1418888&Search=true&where=&Name=1030&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1840629) at RS but since my contributions there didn't seem to catch on y'all here're stuck w/me ;)

"'Vulcan out of touch' but nothing came up"
-naturally :D

"a little sad knowing that that collection (which must've been huge) is all being broken up"
-but then, dissolution & re-combination is an eternal cycle of nature; while i spose sadness is an understandable reaction to certain phases of this cycle, i'd hope said sadness wouldn't prevent one from adapting to the circumstance in the most efficient, ethical way :)

"hope it's OK that I really don't want anything"
-"ok" or "not ok" needn't enter into it; just lmk if you change yer mind :)
vt

RobertDD
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, for what it's worth, it's good to be back :)