PDA

View Full Version : Hayao Miyazaki is the shizzy

El Chuxter
03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
I can't claim to have watched all of Miyazaki's films. I've got more on DVD than I've seen, and I'm savoring them rather than watching them all in a couple of sittings. I just finished watching My Neighbor Totoro for the first time, and (as is usually the case after I see a Miyazaki film), I've had to revise my list of the greatest feature-length animated works of all time.

Miyazaki's films are unique in that, although they may have different target audiences (Kiki's Delivery Service is geared toward a much younger crowd than Princess Mononoke, for instance), they all have a broad appeal. The animation is never anything short of stunning, the characters are well-rounded, and the stories are deep and captivating, yet self-contained.

My favorite still remains Spirited Away, the tale of a timid young girl forced into servitude in an spirit-world bath house by a mysterious sorceress after her parents are turned into pigs. (Never let it be said that any of these movies have completely grounded plots. I've yet to see one that doesn't rely heavily on magic realism, sci-fi, or a combination of the two.)

So far I've seen, and wholeheartedly recommend:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

In my collection, and waiting to be viewed:

Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso

I've also got two other Studio Ghibli films on my "to see" list, Whisper of the Heart (which Miyazaki wrote and storyboarded, but didn't direct) and The Cat Returns. I passed on Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas, since they sort of snuck out of Disney's vaults without a lot of hoopla, but I'm planning to pick those up as well.

Please tell me I'm not the only person here who loves this genius's handiwork.

James Boba Fettfield
03-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Like a fool, I almost made a reply about Grave of the Fireflies because, for some reason (Japanese animation, I guess), I thought Miyazaki had something to do with it.

I've only seen parts of Kiki's Delivery Service a few years ago when my younger sister watched it.

Anyway, I have a few of his more well known works (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) sitting in a "films to see" pile that I have yet to view. Uh...maybe this summer. I doubt I will be disappointed, though.

2-1B
03-30-2006, 11:54 PM
I prefer Myagi's movies but Miyazaki seems to be doing quite well for himself as well. :)

I was salty this year because I picked Howl's Moving Castle in my Oscar Pool since Spirited Away won a few years back but I lost that category thanks to Wallace and Gromit.

Daryl VayDar
05-23-2006, 05:24 PM
My son and I watch these movies whenever we get the chance.
I have to agree that Spirited away is my fave, and I think my son's also. We haven't gotten Howl's Moving Castle yet but it's on the short list...:yes:

El Chuxter
06-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I just watched Whisper of the Heart, which Miyazaki storyboarded. (Mrs Chuxter wanted to see a movie, and wanted me to pick a few I've not seen and want to. I gave her a choice between this and Howl's Moving Castle, and this one won out.)

It's a pretty good movie. It's no Spirited Away, but a fairly solid and realistic (though rather drawn out) film about adolescent dreams and crushes. Not his best, but worth watching. Of the three movies I've seen this weekend, this crushed X3: The Last Stand but didn't hold a candle to The Last Samurai.

JBF, I think Grave of the Fireflies was directed by a future colleague of Miyazaki's at Studio Ghibli, so I'd allow discussion of it here. Edit: Yeah, it was directed by Isao Takahata, who directed Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas for SG.

BTW, Caesar, when Spirited Away won the Oscar, I was p***ed that the award didn't go to Lilo & Stitch. After seeing it, though, I can understand why. Those are both freaking amazing masterpieces of animation.

And call me nuts, but now that John Lasseter is heading Disney's animation arm, and since he's such a huge fan, I'm crossing my fingers in the hopes that someday the talent from Studio Ghibli and Pixar will work on something together.

El Chuxter
06-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Just watched Howl's Moving Castle, and it should've taken the Oscar. It was so cool, I had to finally get rid of the Hicksatar.

Turnip-Head is the new No Face.

El Chuxter
08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the thread only I read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_the_Cliff_by_the_Sea

No word on when it'll be released here, as far as I can find.

cookiemonster
09-16-2008, 03:36 AM
I have seen all of the older Miyazaki movies, cut my teeth on Hols: Prince of the Sun, back in the day it was a Fan Sub - very poor copy.

I own the following Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli DVDS.
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Laputa - Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Witch Delivery Service

Ones I want to get:-
Pre-Ghibli Films - Hols: Prince of the Sun, Panda! Go Panda!, Lupin III - Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa (although this is when they were turning into Studio Ghibli, so it can be classed as both).

Ghibli Studio Films - Grave of the Fireflies, Ocean Waves (I Can Hear the Sea), Only Yesterday, Porco Rosso (The Red Pig), Pom Poko, Whsiper of the Heart, My Neighbours the Yamadas, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Tales From Earthsea (has a 2009 release for the US), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (I am thinking its more than likely going to be out here in 2009 as well)

Ghibli Shorts - I would like to own all of the shorts made by Ghibli but especially Mei and the Kittenbus. Would love to get my hands on a copy of this (however it is only shown at the Ghibli Studio Museum, it has only been shown outside of the Museum to John Lasseter and Co. at Pixar and at Juvenile Diabettes Research Foundation).

Blue2th
09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I've seen Princess Mononoke, and really enjoyed it. The animation is amazing for 2D.

My sister calls me Howl from Howl's Moving Castle, so my curiosity is peaked about that one to see what she means.

DarthNihilus
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see him do something dark, serious and lots of blood. I'm guessing thats against his personal code or whatever (you know like that samurai who vows to never kill again) but that would be amazing.