PDA

View Full Version : New GI Joe RAH figures - I'm sad

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 08:51 AM
I finally found one of these 2 packs at my local Wal-Mart, it was just under $8 and I guess for that, it's not a terrible value. However, I'm fairly disappointed in this new direction for Joe here, a real American hero deserves better.

The figures are based on the Star Wars body design, similar to the Commtech Stormtrooper. The set I got was Gung-Ho vs Destro, the former being a fairly good figure marred by poor choices of accessories and the latter being an ugly, angry mess with really bad accessories. Both figures have bulky joints above the waist, but keep the articulation quality of the RAH figures there; unfortunately, from the waist down, these things are Star Wars figures with HUGE belts and unlike SW, the lack of ball-jointed hips makes most cool action stances impossible, with the legs being fairly close together and the knees having not enough range of motion.

Really annoying is the rubbery material used to make these figures. It feels insubstantial, like a knock-off, while at the same time gumby and a bit weak, as if it could be easily torn apart (even though I've yet to damage either figure beyond bending the knees too far back and ripping the back of the thigh, I think I did the same thing with the old Joes too though).

Gung-Ho looks like a real guy shrunk down, which is good in some ways, but takes a little getting used to after 20 years of those cartoony faces of yesteryear. His outfit is a bit generic and drab, but there are special touches to make this figure stand out. Destro, unfortunately, looks like the Terminator got kinda fat and had his face and scalp ripped off right in the middle of a huge constipation attack. This figure's flesh-colored ears and neck are very freaky, but not in a good way. This figure also comes with one of the first-wave vehicles in a slightly different color - what a rip!

Frustratingly, Hasbro chose to go with old accessories and weapons, which are SORELY outdated and skinny. The gun Destro is holding has a stock which fits over RAH forearms, but Destro's been drinking milk along with all the other new figures, and this stock looks ridiculous here. Likewise, Gung-Ho is posed carrying some gigantic revolver and even though both figures have trigger fingers out, the triggers on 3 out of the 4 guns here don't work with that - more goofball gun poses (one of the RAH line's weaker points IMO). Gung-Ho has a working boot sheeth for the knife that comes in this set, and a holster on his left that doesn't seem to properly fit any weapon that comes in the card. This theme repeats on one of the backpacks in here, which has those classic Joe backpack slots to hold a knife or a sword, yet the set comes with nothing besides the knife (which already belongs in the boot) that'll fit in there! This same backpack has a hole in the top, but for what? No idea, it DOES fit one of the weapons, but it looks so dippy that way. Another thing, except for the silver revolver, all the accessories here are black and I'm fairly confident I have well over half of them in my collection already (they're mostly the ones I don't even USE because I dislike 'em so much), why couldn't these figures have come with better accessories, I know the old RAH line had 'em?!?

Finally, the packaging is pretty bleh, the preposed figures aren't really that dynamic-looking, but they both remind me of Commtech Luke's leg-pose in the bubble - yeesh. The back of the card shows art of the characters instead of actual figures and it doesn't work for me at all, the art is too hard for this line of toys and feels more like some over-eager comic artist going off on an ego-trip rather than what the buyer can get in the line. The way the file cards work is sorta clever, but it's the exact same art as the back.

All in all, I had low hopes for this line and it basically lived down to them. In some ways, it did succeed in ways I wasn't expecting, but with the above being so obvious how I feel and the nasty job they did on the one vehicle I was really looking forward to - the Hum-vee repaint where instead of tan, it's now screaming camo and has a HUGE missile launcher on top - I think this line is gonna need a lot of retooling already.

Rollo Tomassi
01-24-2002, 12:11 PM
I am in total agreement. One has to wonder why Hasbro is taking giant steps backwards in terms of articulation and detail. i was going to get the Snake-Eyes/Stormshadow two pack and leave the rest, but now that I've seen the a couple of the new figures, I doubt I'll even do that. (sigh) another child hood memory ground to dust in the face of modern corporate greed mentality...

El Chuxter
01-24-2002, 03:03 PM
I saw 'em all (except Cobra Commander, if he's even available) while vacationing back east. I, too, was gonna snatch up Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but felt the need to pass.

I don't know what these figures are based on. I thought it was the new comic, but the bio on the back of the vehicles isn't anything like the comic.

BTW, I was set against the Image comic, until--at the repeated urging of SSG Prodigal coheteboy--I finally picked it up. The art is very different from the Marvel run, but once you get used to it, it's awesome. The story has kept me enthralled through the first three issues--and, despite my constant searching for anything that blatantly contradicts Larry Hama's original series, it's been meshing with established continuity almost perfectly. Even Zandar and Billy have made appearances. I highly recommend the comic--even moreso than I recommend staying away from these figures. :D

mabudonicus
01-24-2002, 03:47 PM
that the first round of re-issues(the three packs) a few years back may have made them look for other ways of cutting costs. I happily bought the baroness/destro/cobra commander set (the new sculpts were pretty cool, and they came with the right weapons for the most part), and one day I noticed that destro had simply broken apart at the waist. The others soon followed suit(and no, I didn't play with them THAT much) and it made me think that they had perhaps the material they had used for the leg-waist rubber band that time out was just too cheap. This could explain the new construction. Did anyone else have trouble with those ones? I'm thinking that the same logic that lead to the SW guns being made out of some horrid semi-solidified plastic may be behind it. Any Ideas? You'd think that the line would be impossible to get wrong, as after 82 they realized they had em PERFECT and just kept making them better. Weird.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Alas I agree. I have had absolutely no desire to pick up any of the new figures. I grew up with the classic RAH and started to get out of it when they began getting all weird in 1989. I was also at that time 12 years old and IMO getting too old to be playing with action figures, although I still collect action figures.

The same thing is true with the new Transformers line. With Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and whatever other cr*ppy spinoff that they developed, I will never collect any of them. The classic Generation 1 figures is all I needed. Why does hasbro think kids want something "New". Are todays kids really into cr*ppy toys? When I was little I could tell when something sucked. But then again with all these kids loving the Power Rangers and Pokemon, it's no wonder we are getting horrible figures. Look at the taste of those shows. Sorry if I offended anyone who likes those, but IMO they suck. Horrible writing and the hype is undeserved IMO.

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 11:05 PM
Mabudon, the O-rings they used in the late '90s were very cheap, but the cool thing about those figures was, you can go down to the hardware store and pick up a bag of better-quality O-rings, unscrew your figure, and fix the problem.

I miss the O-ring torso, you could have figures bend forward and back at the waist, so dynamic. I miss the lower-torso bend and the ball-jointed hips so much. Luckily, I still have a few O-ring figures.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Luckily I kept all My O-Ring figures.:D

Rollo Tomassi
01-25-2002, 09:16 AM
When my O-rings would break (or disintegrate) I'd use my little sister's rubber brands from her braces. Two rubber bands worked as well as an o-ring and you got like 500 bands in a $.99 package. I think most of the o-rings I replaced back in the 80's are still working to this day.

I hated Power Rangers and TMNT. I could never understand how kids could enjoy these lumpy, cartoony toys over kickass G.I.Joe figures with tons of articulation and wickedly accurate vehicles and accesories.

I agree the RAH was getting wierd by 1989. My little sister bought me one of the ECO warriors for my birthday and to this day, I still haven't opened it.

mabudonicus
01-25-2002, 01:05 PM
The 3 3/4 inch joes were pretty much the ultimate "action" figure in that scale, IMO. I am a modeller, and use the old Joes as starting points for customizing EVERYTHING, from rock stars to Ultramen and hockey players. An ironic thing I've noticed is that the Joe knock off series "the corps" are a lot better than the modern day incarnation of the series they were ripping off in the first place. I've got lots of old joes, and the corps looks great next to them after a quick repaint and a few added details.(plus they're like a buck a piece,brand new)

LTBasker
01-26-2002, 02:06 AM
I've only got a few GI Joe things left from my puny collection of them, which was only a few mis-cared for figures (I was too young. :( ) but I still have the F-16 jet toy they came out with, don't think the light still works on it and the stickers are coming off plus the gun lights don't work anymore. :( I was gonna pick up some of the new Joe figures (even though I don't follow GI-Joe) and possibly make a bounty hunter force out of them for a SW fan-fic thing or just have fun with them but knowing they're not like the old joe figures, I don't think i will.

mabudonicus
01-28-2002, 12:12 PM
LTBASKER, I'm telling you , check out "The Corps". They were pretty silly in the beginning, but the sculpts are getting better all the time. They are a lot like old joes, and if you just paint em up they can look sweet(and like I said in my last post, they're really cheap)

Dark Knight
01-30-2002, 06:29 PM
I agree that the the newer joe's do not compare to the older Joe's. I still have a number of my Joe's from my childhood along with the cobra terrordome (it's seen better day's). I have only about 25 complete figures and they all look better than the new joe's.
:rolleyes: :frus: :rolleyes: