PDA

View Full Version : That '80s Show, didja watch?

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 08:11 AM
So, didja watch the uncreatively-named "That '80s Show" brought to you by the producers of Fox's popular "That '70s Show"? What did you think? Funny? Engrossing? Stupid?

JEDIpartner
01-24-2002, 11:24 AM
I am such a stickler for detail on these "period" shows. I kept cringing when 1986 kept meeting 1981 or whatever. We were trying to figure out exactly what year these folks were aiming for... when they made the "Miami Vice" comment, we figured it had to be AT LEAST 1984. Even with that, the bisexual girls clothes were a little too ahead of their time and the girl who was dressed up like Boy George ca 1981 would have stopped doing that by 1984 because even HE ditched that look by then. The record store manager was a little reminiscent of the Annie Potts character in "Pretty In Pink", but was funny. I don't know how long this joke will run, but it was kinda funny for a minute. I don't know if I will be able to bend time around that much to ignore the inconsistencies.

El Chuxter
01-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Since the team that did That 70s Show let Third Rock sort of die out when That 70s Show first came out, and since That 70s Show has been horribly subpar this season, I thought this might be where the talent was going.

I watched about 15-20 minutes of it and, since I'd not laughed a single, solitary time, I turned it.

:mad: You cancelled The Tick for this crap, Fox?
I think Charlton's line can best sum it up: "D%&* you! D%&* you all to Hell!"

JetsAndHeels
01-24-2002, 01:29 PM
I saw the last 10 minutes of it. I believe it was when the guys were at the bar and the bisexual girl came in. The guy was talking on his "portable phone" that they showed in the previews a million times. It looked OK, but from what I saw "That 70's Show" is funnier.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 03:05 PM
I watched it. It was o.k. It is going to have to grow on me. What I don't get is why did they start this show up anyway? It is supposedly 1978 on That 70's Show. Why couldn't they wait another two years and rename it "That 80's show." The cast of "That 70's Show" clicks much better than this new cast. It would be 100 times better than these new people. And did anybody notice that it is basically the same as "That 70's show."
I'll give some similarites just from what I saw.

1. The kids still live at home.

2. Grumpy father.

3. One boy kid, one girl kid.

4. The father wants the son to come work for him.

5. The Asian guy (equivalent of FES on 70's)

6. The son is the central character.

7. The girl playing the bi-sexual ex-girlfriend is the same girl who played Eric's cousin on That 70's Show.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now. It is basically like FOX said "Hey let's just take "That 70's Show" and set it in the 80's. Lame. No originality. What's next? That 90's show. That 60's show.

Don't get me wrong I love "That 70's show" but if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Fulit
01-24-2002, 03:51 PM
I thought it was completely lame that the only "punk" person they have is a total poser who liked the Bay City Rollers and took down her "punky" hairdo at the end because of that stupid dude. A real punk wouldn't care what anyone thought. Even though her "punk" clothes were pretty cliche. The only remotely funny one was the Asian guy.

And I'm sorry, but there is no way those three downed those, like 6 shots of tequila each in about 3 and a half minutes.

Then theres the whole premise of the unoriginality of it. That 70's Show, That 80's Show, what's next, The 90's Show? Remember the 90's? Way back then, 3 years ago? Nostalgia trips are getting so old. Doesn't anyone look to the future anymore?

Mandalorian Candidat
01-24-2002, 03:55 PM
OK, let's start the pool for when this show gets cancelled. I'll take four weeks from now. Any other takers?

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 09:04 PM
I agree with you Fulit about the punk issue. I have friends that are punk and they don't care what people think about them. Somebody didn't do their homework for this show. Unless we find out that she is only a poser.

As for the shots, so fake. No one could handle that many in a row. It looked as if they had no problem with it at all.

I give it 5 weeks until it's cancelled.

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 10:18 PM
I bet it runs for 4 agonizingly unfunny seasons. I found it to be really pale and flimsy, and JEDIpartner's points are all pretty valid. Even worse, unlike on That '70s Show where they could get away with those anachronisms with smart writing or coy "wink wink" stuff, this show feels like a few good concepts strung together in some really bad ones. I liked the record store and I liked the asian guy, but it didn't feel like this group clicked, the other characters all fell apart.

GNT
01-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Have they cancelled "That '70s Show"? Cause I'll be pretty :mad: if they do,Wheres That '90s Show? Is that next?

I'll give it five weeks ?:)