PDA

View Full Version : SSG Forums Reopen!

JediTricks
05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
If you somehow don't know yet, SirSteve has acquired ownership of SSG and the forums are now open again. There have been a few changes:

the max allowed avatar size is up to 100x100 from 75x75.
some forums sections have been streamlined or compressed into other sections.
for a limited time, users can request their username changes in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31549).
image attachments have a larger physical size limit.
the Rancor Pit section is now password-protected, only those who choose to use the password to enter will see thread titles in their New Posts section.And there are a few more new changes in store soon.

Also, most of you are set to view only the last month's worth of threads, so keep in mind that it's been a month and a half since any of us last visited the site, those threads won't show up until you set your view to 2 months ago or higher.

darthvyn
05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
wow... it's so quiet...

JON9000
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
back in the saddle again!

bobafrett
05-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Darn I'm tired from lugging my collection back and fourth between homes. I think my seat has been remodeled though, someone painted it pink.

Good to be back home!

James Boba Fettfield
05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Good to be back. Though a bit sad I missed the reopening because of seeing HIM in concert (it was okay).

Rogue II
05-19-2006, 12:23 AM
the Rancor Pit section is now password-protected, only those who choose to use the password to enter will see thread titles in their New Posts section.

Awesome, thanks.:thumbsup: .:love: :dancing banana:

Tycho
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM
I edited my avitar to reflect the recovering addict I am. :pleased:

I'm gosh-darn proud of myself, too.

It sucks the Rancor Pit is password protected because I won't be able to offend as many people all at once. Heck, I may be the only one who will post in that section if I want to engage in the civil war.

But darn it. I'm back and the Dark Side is with me. Let the hate flow through me!

SirSteve
05-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Sorry I didn't do a welcome back post but I've been extremely busy trying to get SSG back together again so I just turned on the forums as I know you wanted to get back in here...

A lot of you may be wondering what happened to “SirSteve” and SirStevesGuide.com over the past month and a half… ACTION Online and SirStevesGuide.com (SSG) went our separate ways. Both of us had a good run of about 7 years but it's time for a change. I am now 100% in control of SSG. The separation was amicable and I wish them the best of luck.

The past is the past and I want to look towards the future. The future of Star Wars and SSG… as most know, we are gearing up for a number of things in the Star Wars Universe: 3D movies, Animated TV Series and Live Action TV Series. There will be a lot for us to collect in the near future and SSG is going back to its roots. We want to provide the Star Wars Community the latest and greatest Star Wars news available. There will also be some changes made. Some immediate, some will take a little time. A redesign, new systems (such as the news system now in place), new staff members will join us and a few surprises are all lined up. So please excuse us for a little while during this transition phase but it will be worth it!

Last but not least... I would like thank everyone for their support during the time I was gone. There are too many to list but you know who you are.

Also... don't forget to update your avatars and signatures for those that have "StevesGuide.com" in them.

2-1B
05-19-2006, 02:17 AM
back in the saddle again!

peeling off my boots and chaps, I'm saddle sore.
4 bits gets you time in the racks, I scream for more.

:thumbsup:

basschick
05-19-2006, 02:26 AM
congrats to SirSteve for gaining full control of his site!

thanks again to JT for getting us set up on swcollecting while things got sorted out :)

looks like i'll have to get to work on my post count over here...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-19-2006, 02:55 AM
first things first, Steve: when do we Mods get our powers back?!!? I have some skulls that need crackin'. :whip: :twisted:

Da18thcustomizer
05-19-2006, 02:56 AM
I heard good things about SSG...and unfortunately when i heard these things the site was down. Im glad to see it up so soon after being introduced to it.

Kidhuman
05-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Glad you made here Da18th....

Steve glad to be back in here, I am glad they didnt repaint the place. It seems We have some mod powers and I shot you a PM about the other. How do we get the rancor password?

JediTricks
05-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Good to be back. Though a bit sad I missed the reopening because of seeing HIM in concert (it was okay).
Him = Chuck Norris?

Nice WBKotter 'tar Rogue!

Slicker
05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
I heard good things about SSG...and unfortunately when i heard these things the site was down. Im glad to see it up so soon after being introduced to it.Welcome aboard. This is indeed a great site. Not infighting like almost every other forum and there's tons of knowledge here especially in the Micro Machines forum.

stillakid
05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
there's tons of knowledge here especially in the Micro Machines forum.

We know because in the interim, a special panel was set up to weigh the knowledge that was sitting idle in the archives. The next poll should be to guess what the SSG knowledge base weighs:

POLL: How much does the SSG knowledge base weigh?

A) 1 ton
B) 5 tons
C) 10 megatons
D) 3 dancing bananas and a Slicker's mom

darthvyn
05-19-2006, 09:13 AM

ah, no WONDER people are having trouble getting into the site... it's not sirstevesguide, it's sirstevesguid!

:D

Rebo's_Guitarist
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
THANK YOU Steve, and mods; its been a long few months.

Slicker
05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
THANK YOU Steve, and mods; its been a long few months.If you have Myspace we kinda kept in contact through there and JT was kind enough to open up a new forum for the interim for us. It was actually a blast over there.

Banthaholic
05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Glad to be 'home'. Thats JT for the awesome job you did setting up a refuge camp.

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Him = Chuck Norris?

Haha...the band is called HIM. They're Finnish rock, I guess...maybe some would call them metal.

I can't wait until I see some of the old faces that didn't meet up at JT's forums. Feels good to be back, but man it's taking some time to get used to these forums again.

Jayspawn
05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Glad to see most everyone again! Even more happy that the site is back up and that Steve has control of the site!

Hello! Hello!

Daryl VayDar
05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Congrats to Steve for straightening everything out! I'm a long time lurker who realized that I missed you guys while you were gone!:( If that is not a good reason to finally join I don't know what is...so, HOWDY ALL!

eFXAmy
05-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Congratulations Steve! Master Replicas is looking forward to a bright future with SSG.

Amy

dr_evazan22
05-19-2006, 07:57 PM
First I'd like to say Congratulations to Steve for getting SSG back. It's good to be back home.

Second, I'd like to say a very big Thank You! to JT for keeping us together at SWC.

DarkArtist
05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Wow it feels great to be back. These last few weeks have been wierd. Congrats SirSteve. I was getting worried when the the Stevesguide.com site wasn't coming up anymore.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I love seeing me in my robes again (that avatar image only exists here at SSG, don't ask me how) instead of me losing in a Halloween costume contest as C3PO...

bobafrett
05-20-2006, 12:07 AM
ACTION Online and SirStevesGuide.com (SSG) went our separate ways. Both of us had a good run of about 7 years but it's time for a change. I am now 100% in control of SSG. The separation was amicable and I wish them the best of luck.

So can we bash AO for kicking us off the ship and not giving us life jackets? If it weren't for JT, I would have drowned or ended up on some desserted island with a bunch of Trekkies. :p

So how much should we all kick in toward your legal fund then? :yes:

James Boba Fettfield
05-20-2006, 12:09 AM
That's a negative on the AO bashing. But JT praise is welcome.

2-1B
05-20-2006, 06:05 AM
so, HOWDY ALL!

lol lol lol

Is there a hidden message there ? :confused:

lol lol lol

Daryl VayDar
05-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Hidden message no, hearty greeting-yes. These forums have always been great reading, and I guess I got a little over-excited...I'll stop yelling now.:thumbsup:

xwing_5
05-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Great to be back in the know with SSG!!!

We missed this site!!!

vader68
05-20-2006, 05:13 PM
My computer crashed before the forums were shut down. By the time I had it fixed the forums were already gone, I had no idea where anyone went. Just glad to see all is getting back to normal and congrats to Steve for gaining control of his own site.

mastermatt24
05-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Well. I guess were all back here now.. :lipsrsealed:

Dar' Argol
05-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Good to be home! Where's my squirrel??? . . . Oh, there he is.

Hm . . place smells different . . . as long as no one touched my secret stash of swimming Jar Jar's and left my Neft bats along, all will be well . . . .

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Whats a neft bat along?

Tycho
05-21-2006, 04:12 AM
I misread that and thought he said "he brought his nads along." Hehehe.

mabudonicus
05-21-2006, 09:11 AM
tho I was never a Seinfeld viewer, I'm still surprised that there's been no "master of his domain-name" jokes yet :beard:

force_brix
05-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I miss the old black & purple website design. I wonder if SirSteve will bring that style back??

Dar' Argol
05-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Whats a neft bat along?

Well, its good to see everything is back in order . . including my not being ble to speel . . . . Nert Bat Alone . . . . poop, it lucifer . . . he he he . . that's still funny as hell!

Dar' Argol
05-21-2006, 01:08 PM
If you somehow don't know yet, SirSteve has acquired ownership of SSG and the forums are now open again. There have been a few changes:

the Rancor Pit section is now password-protected, only those who choose to use the password to enter will see thread titles in their New Posts section.
And there are a few more new changes in store soon.

How is it then that I can still see the thread title when I few all the forums???

Any chance of a [img] being added to embed the images in the post??

SirSteve
05-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Not the full images. Thumbnails are displayed currently. It keeps everything balanced.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I miss the old black & purple website design. I wonder if SirSteve will bring that style back??How very brave of you to rebel against your eyeballs. ;) Welcome aboard, by the way. :cool:

How is it then that I can still see the thread title when I few all the forums??? Do you mean "forum title"? Because that is still public-view, just not any of the threads inside. The thread titles themselves shouldn't be showing up if you haven't entered the section, I tested it with a sample account and it worked, check to see if you have the password cookied in.

DarthBrandon
05-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the name changes guys, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
05-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Ah it's good to be home.

I DO want to sincerely thank JT for setting up the SWC boards. I actually DO miss that place and had a lot of fun there. Ah well, I guess we'll always have Paris, no not Hilton, though some of you would like to have her...

Anyway, thanks JT!

And thanks to Tycho for getting th ball rolling with the MySpace group. I never got the chance to post there before SWC started, but I was able to view the posts so I still felt somewhat in the loop.

I just hope that the comaraderie that those of us experienced on SWC will continue here.

It was great to NOT seeing any b!tch!n and moaning or flame wars, etc.

I had a good lot of deals with people there and hope to continue them here.

Congrats Steve on regaining full ownership. Hopefully it never leaves them again.

I would have been here sooner but I was spying all weekend on Kidhuman and Slicker's mom... That Flornbi can really shnazzle a woman...

Okay, enough of my nonsense...heh heh.

Glad to be back!
-Sal

Deoxyribonucleic
05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
A huge congrats to steve for sticking with it and fighting for what you believe in and a huge thanks to JT for swcollecting.com, and for keeping all of us together!

I'm glad I can put SSG back to my home page too, it was weird having something different, never seemed right!

:thumbsup:

Turbowars
05-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah, it's great to be back. Can I tell you guys how much I hate RS!

JT, you did a awesome job with SWC.com and if it did continue it still would had been a cool place to post.

Now that you have full control Steve can we all look forward to give aways/ contests? I think Brian's Toys should donate a few items for the contests. We also need to get SSG up to speed on News. I can't remember one time when SSG posted some awesome news 1st. Make SSG a one stop collecting site.

Dominic Guglieme
05-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I made it over from the other forum.

SirSteve
05-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks again everyone for the support.

Yes, Turbo... we will have some giveways coming and as you stated, I have to get caught up. I have a lot of work ahead of me...

Not to mention a few surprises coming soon! :D

Turbowars
05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Right on Steve, no hurry or anything. lol

Team_Felix
05-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm glad to see you regain ownership of your site Steve. You were the first site I found way back in 96? 97?..or whenever it was that I caught up with the rest of the world and bought a computer for internet use.....In my mind you were one of the pioneers and I'm happy to see you retain what is rightfully yours.

DarthQuack
05-22-2006, 11:28 PM
While it is great to be back, a little part of me will always miss SWCollecting.... :sleeping:

Bossk77
05-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Boogety Boogety Boogety! I am glad that everything paned out ok.

Kidhuman
05-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Not to mention a few surprises coming soon! :D

You're gonna get an exclusive figure?

Slicker
05-23-2006, 05:02 AM
You're gonna get an exclusive figure?Maybe it's the long awaited KH figure!!!!!!

Kidhuman
05-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Maybe it's the long awaited KH figure!!!!!!

The must have will see packaging.

Darth Instigator
05-23-2006, 08:57 AM
yea I missed the shut down too, I knew it was going down and steve was moving and we were all following but then there was nothing, just emptiness. SO I presume steve got the forums even though he originally was leaving and "they" were taking over the site. Glad to be back, I was pretty new to being with and didn't feel like finding a new place.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
It's good to have the forums back. Now I have a legitimate reason to screw around at work again.

Dar' Argol
05-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Do you mean "forum title"? Because that is still public-view, just not any of the threads inside. The thread titles themselves shouldn't be showing up if you haven't entered the section, I tested it with a sample account and it worked, check to see if you have the password cookied in.

Password??? I don't need no stinkin password . . . actually, I don't even know the password . . . . is it "Cornball Merciful Rainbow"??? Or maybe "delirious auto yoyo"???

Maybe it's the long awaited KH figure!!!!!!

What about the Special 2 pack Dar' and Hank with Demolition Car???

mastermatt24
05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, it's great to be back. Can I tell you guys how much I hate RS!
You can never fully explain it! :p

Joshkj
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Awsome steve, I also really like the new layout!

Dar' Argol
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
WOW!! Very BLUE . . . . I like it!!!!!:thumbsup:

mastermatt24
06-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Blue like Aayla.. :love:

DarthQuack
06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Loving the new backround, a lot easier on the eyes than the red.

SirSteve
06-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks again for the comments. Glad everyone seems to like the new design!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for making this place so cool! I really don't know what I'd do without all you wackily guys!! :thumbsup:

mastermatt24
06-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I really don't know what I'd do without all you wackily guys!! :thumbsup:
Hey! Watch your wackily comments please! ;)

SirSteve
07-13-2006, 09:04 PM
So it's been a few months and I have been extremely busy with running several sites but I would like to know how we have been doing thus far?

Darth Instigator
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
its cool, how bout allowing some graphical sigs?

Kidhuman
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Steve, its been top notch.

bobafrett
07-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Just like the old SSG but imporoved.

Turbowars
07-13-2006, 11:48 PM
What!?!?!?! You have been working on other sites? Shame on you. I thought we were #1.:upset: ;)

The site is great and with JT behind the wheel I don't think there will be a problem.

Long live SSG!

Kidhuman
07-14-2006, 12:05 AM
its cool, how bout allowing some graphical sigs?

Takes up too much bandwith to host them plus I believe it was abused at one point.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 02:57 AM
The site is great and with JT behind the wheel I don't think there will be a problem.

Long live SSG!

The site's new format, less advertising as "news" when it's not, and the cool blue-ness etc is all great - as is having Luke and Leia at the top of my page and NO LAVA! Haha.

But JEDITRICKS has been doing an excellent job compiling all the questions from all the SW websites each week that Hasbro answers them, and making SSG the only site that does that (I think). Thus it's a one-stop shop for getting A's to all the Q's and we really cover some ground.

I think the site is better than it ever was before! SSG turns 10 years old! We've been here a decade guys!

Hey - there's an idea for a new site deco (for some future date): the 10th Anniversary of SSG! I mean for probably over 100 of us - we've been here that long - which is like a third of our lives for most of us close to around 30 now. So when SW turns 30 next year, SSG will turn 10!

Slicker
07-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I concur and say that it's better than before. Things are looking great and running smoothly (except for poor CS1138. Poor lil fella has to go through proxy servers to be able to post.:cry:)

Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Takes up too much bandwith to host them plus I believe it was abused at one point.
gotcha but its not that bad

SirSteve
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Image signature drive me crazy (counter intuitive also). I hate having to scroll through more image signatures than actual content. Just my two cents...

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 02:51 PM
nah its not too bad it shows style, like mine is a rip from TPM where Maul is about to battle Obi-Wan and Qui Gon and he drops his hood and reveals the double bladed saber, I added some text but its fun, of course when people get ot of hand then youare right it is annoying. But its all style.

What about allowing images in posts? I see alot of links to offsite places which I always felt would make people navigate away from my site.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I do not like image signatures, they slow down the loading of the page, nobody ever respects filesize or physical dimensions limits, there's always the risk of "adult material" getting put in, it's always a real mess everywhere I see it.

Pictures in posts have similar problems, and have already been abused more than once in the past when we allowed it. Plus, linking to other site's content without their permission can either create a broken image for everybody else or get them all mad at us for using up their bandwidth.

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 06:25 PM
oh you just agree with him! lol

seriously there are many reasons not to and many reasons to, but its all about how you and Steve feel I guess. It was just a thought.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Actually, in this case I believe it'd be more correct to say that Steve agrees with me, I'm the one who pushed for no-images back in May. ;)

Bring it up in a separate thread in the Comments/Suggestions forum after SDCC and we'll give more thought to it.

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
ok sounds good

SirSteve
07-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is the thing with images within posts... there is only a set width that could be used or the formatting will be off (the image width is wider than the forum space).

This combined with slower load time (because images have to be loaded and if it's a long thread with tons of images, that could problematic). So, we opted for thumbnails. A little of both worlds. Problem solved IMO.

Darth Instigator
07-15-2006, 10:28 AM
oh ok, you have it set to reduce to thumbnails? I didn't notice that, I just noticed everyone posting links, and I always felt it was better to allow images to be attached to keep members at the site. Cool thanks SirSteve

Darth Instigator
07-15-2006, 10:30 AM
fyi, if and when you do allow sigs as JT stated and I will post the suggestion appropriately, there is a hack to make it so only one per member shows up on a page, so as to not have every post by the same person also reveal their signature. Its very stable and I use it on 3 of my forums, but I will give you that info at another time if you want.

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 02:15 PM
What Steve is talking about with the image thumbnails is attachments, not linked images, those still come up as links (a thumbnail would be interesting, but that'd have to be a hack).

SirSteve
07-16-2006, 02:11 AM
There will be a big upgrade after comic-con to the forums that has new functionality and more control over signatures so we may re-evaluate them at that time.

Darth Instigator
07-16-2006, 02:28 PM
ok thanks again for being so receptive