PDA

View Full Version : So, did Dustin Roberts win the Fan Club election?

decadentdave
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Anyone know if he won? Seemed like a clean sweep with all of the "publicity" support he got from Lucasfilm.

Beast
05-18-2006, 10:05 PM
According to the last tally, no. USCWannabe seems to have won.

And thank god, I got sick of seeing Rebelscum degrade themselves almost daily trying to get Dustin the win. You know they just would have tried to twist it into Rebelscum being the #1 website, just because the Fan Club President (an Honorary Position only) works there.

decadentdave
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
You mean you're telling me USCWannabe is a bigger pimp? Wow. Must be selling memberships to every college kid on campus. He should sell Amway or something. He'd be a baijillionaire like Lucas.

Beast
05-18-2006, 11:38 PM
You mean you're telling me USCWannabe is a bigger pimp? Wow. Must be selling memberships to every college kid on campus. He should sell Amway or something. He'd be a baijillionaire like Lucas.
Frankly I don't care how USCWannabe won. As long as I don't have to see another banner showing Dustin's face or see the ridiculous lengths that they went to to try to secure him the win on Scum, I'll be happy. The thread on their forms that was recently locked about the campaign is amusing as hell though. :)

2-1B
05-19-2006, 01:36 AM
I am USCwannabe.

Kidhuman
05-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Congrats Caesar on your win.

decadentdave
05-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Congrats Caesar (I like that name better than President. It just sounds so... noble).

All I ask is that as President (or Caesar) that you steer the fan club back where it belongs... FOR THE FANS!!! No more of this marketing BS like next month's issue of the Star Wars Insider with the 4 gimmick covers designed to bilk the fans' wallets. Let's make the Insider actually MEAN something again with REAL content and not padded editorial fluff because I have been so disappointed with this publication (especially in the last year) that I am letting my membership lapse and not re-subscribing until it is actually worth subscribing to again. We are all counting on you to help make that happen again. Don't let us down!

All Hail Mighty Caesar!!! MTFBWY!!!

Kidhuman
05-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Here is the final standings:

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/prez2006.html

JediTricks
05-19-2006, 02:42 AM
The real bummer for me was early on when Phil posted how "UNDERWHELMED" he was that more of his readers weren't spending their hard-earned money on this worthless fan club and its awful promotion, that really bothered me.

decadentdave
05-19-2006, 03:11 AM
I guess we should congratulate all of the candidates who campaigned here as well like Jedi Master Sal. (sorry I gave you such a hard time, btw)

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31460&highlight=candidate

Slicker
05-19-2006, 06:09 AM
And thank god, I got sick of seeing Rebelscum degrade themselves almost daily trying to get Dustin the win. You know they just would have tried to twist it into Rebelscum being the #1 website, just because the Fan Club President (an Honorary Position only) works there.That's exactly why I'm glad he lost. It would have only been more publicity for RS and Wise would've used it to his full advantage by saying that the best fans and whatnot post there (although we all know the truth to that. Just ask nerbler...).

I love how this USC kid won and I NEVER saw ANYTHING promoting him.

Banthaholic
05-19-2006, 09:05 AM
The whole contest was horrible in my opinion and the results sow it. they had less than 500 total in the last tally I saw. I know I didn't renew my Star Wars fan club. I payed for the magazine as soon as they added and charged me extra for hyperspace I was out. Heck I can buy 6 issues at the supermarket cheaper than the subscription price.

mtriv73
05-19-2006, 11:24 AM
The real bummer for me was early on when Phil posted how "UNDERWHELMED" he was that more of his readers weren't spending their hard-earned money on this worthless fan club and its awful promotion, that really bothered me.

That is exactly why I hoped he would lose too. :yes:

LusiferSam
05-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Here is the final standings:

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/prez2006.html
These are not the final standings. This page has been saying for a long these are not verified results nor has everything that could be counted been counted. In short, we don't know if Dustin has won or lost yet.

That statement also really got under my skin. That and statements like true Star Wars fans were for Roberts just ticked me off.

Jargo
05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I am USCwannabe.

Is this a Spartacus moment then?

"No I'M USCwannabe!"

2-1B
05-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Is this a Spartacus moment then?

Sure it is...wanna recreate with me those bathhouse scenes that were just restored about 15 years ago ? :whip:

Jargo
05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Sure why not, I got time to kill...

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
What a relief!!! No more of those obnoxious banners. No more Rebelscum beating down their readers for not getting on the bandwagon. No more shameless promotions.

Wooo-hoooooo!!!!!!

Although I'm sure RS will be posting rants about how the contest was fixed or how USCwannabe isn't a real person/not a "true fan" or how Roberts is the messiah of the SW collecting community.

I'm actually looking forward to that because it's always fun to see grown men make complete idiots of themselves on-line. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
They already did that Sith Lord.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
They already did that Sith Lord.

I meant on the main page...not the forums. :)

decadentdave
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Well folks, it is official. Rebelscum is reporting that Dustin Roberts is the new President of the fan club. Looks like the publicity stunt worked after all.

Slicker
07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
What's funny is that I browsed the thread about it and alot of them are wonderin' what the hell happened to uscwannabe and they're saying something isn't right. Now you know that you did some backalley swindling when even your own site smells something wrong.

The only "explination" given was that it had something to do with the rules.

i.e. Dustin lost so they found a way to get the other disqualified.:rolleyes:

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I really hope they don't plan on having an election every year for that. :neutral:

decadentdave
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm letting my subscription expire and I'm not going to be renewing anyway. This just proves that the Fan Club has jumped the shark.

bobafrett
07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm starting a anti Dustin Roberts slur campaign. Down with D.R. !

Banthaholic
07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
A conspiracy? Maybe it'll lead to a recall election, or possible impeachment.

Irregardless hyperspace still sucks. Maybe if they offered just subscriptions to JUST the magazine I would be interested.

Kidhuman
07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I guess its like winning the presidency in a third world country to them. I dont know how he won after he lost by a big margin.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I just got my Star Wars "Delta Source" e-mail and it had him as the winner, so I was wondering what happened.

LusiferSam
07-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Swear, you people can't read! That page on the official site with the rally said it was NOT an official count and does NOT include ALL THE VOTES. How much clearer could it be? They said it wasn't official and you broke out the champagne any way. My guess is that this other moron simply didn't have as many votes from the other sources as dustbag did. If I could see the real numbers I could say for sure. By the way why did it take so long of these guys to counts the votes any way?

2-1B
07-11-2006, 01:40 AM
A conspiracy? Maybe it'll lead to a recall election, or possible impeachment.

Preferably assassination. :)

Tycho
07-11-2006, 01:56 AM
OK now. We all know that Andres Lopez-Obrador won the Fan Club Presidency. He has organized mass marches in Mexico City to demand a recount. Al Gore is helping him file lawsuits against Dustin Roberts on Lopez-Obrador's behalf. Rebelscum contends that the electoral college votes in Ohio, Florida, and Tiajuanna went to Roberts. SirStevesGuide protests saying the Diebold voting machines could have been tampered with.

I'm so confused. :crazed:

decadentdave
07-11-2006, 02:15 AM
It's simple. Dusty has pulled a Palpatine and has seized control of the Fan Club. I think we need to dispatch Mace Windu's posse to deal with this.

Mace: "President Roberts, in the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest!"

Dustin: "I AM the Senate."

Mace: "Not yet. The Fans will decide your fate."

Dustin: "It's treason then."

C5Jedi
07-11-2006, 04:04 AM
And thank god, I got sick of seeing Rebelscum degrade themselves almost daily trying to get Dustin the win. You know they just would have tried to twist it into Rebelscum being the #1 website, just because the Fan Club President (an Honorary Position only) works there.

:thumbsup: I agree - I also got sick of Rebelscum because of this and it use to be my favorite site. It's too bad for those that wanted tried to try to win it that they didn't have a SW website of their own - Just think there are probably some young kids who worked really hard on their own (and not affiliated with websites or businesses) to try to win the contest by signing up friends at school or in their neighborhoods. I actually feel sorry for them. As soon as I heard about the "Rebelscum Push" I assumed he would win. Apparently he really wanted it. Good for him I guess.

It's just a symptom though. The Fan Club has really gone down hill the last few years.
I can remember their original contests (c-3po's hand, I think even death star pieces...)

Their merchandise section (what was it originally called in Bantha Tracks days - the Jawa trader?) which use to be the first thing I couldn't wait to look at has been laughable the last few years. The informative articles on the films which were throughout the issues have been replaced with "stories set in the SW world" and other rubish articles. Only a small handful of articles are film related and quite good.
It seems like a good percentage of any issue are author written stories. If I want stories I'll buy a book or comic. I don't subscribe to the fan club for that.

Issue 87 alone had 24 pages of "stories"...Almost a third of the issue. Combine that with the ads and merchandise pages and a lot of the issue space is gone. The Club has been on a steady decline for some time and this latest stupid contest was just another indicator.

Who knows maybe Dustin will seize control of the Fan Club with his band of Rebelscum Jedis and get it back on course. Someone needs to. After being a Fan Club member since Bantha Tracks #4 (yes the old days) - I won't be renewing. Enough is enough.

Tycho
07-11-2006, 04:59 AM
I may have to renew to get the extra day in at C4 ("Fan Club Day") - I think it's the first day of the con - a Wednesday - or it's the last day of the Con - a Monday. (Well C4 should be the standard Th-Sun run they usually do for all non-members).

If I join Hyperspace / Fan Club for the extra day at the Con, I'll just look at the Con expense being $35 more or whatever it is for Hyperspace these days.

What I enjoyed THE MOST about the Insider, was interviews with the actors, especially

IAN MCDIARMID (Palpatine) - "5 of 6 movies now with the ESB DVD?"

But I'd like to see them go back into the 6 movies and get the final wraps from:

Harrison Ford - yup - that would be a sell-out issue! "Looking back on Han Solo..."
Carrie Fisher "What do you think of how it all turned out?"
Mark Hamill - "What do you think of how it all turned out?"
Billy Dee Williams
David Prowse - "What do you think of how it all turned out?"
Peter Mayhew - "Now that you live in the US, is Chewie on the TV show?"
Anthony Daniels "6 for 6!"
Kenny Baker "When were you R2 in the prequels? How did CGI work for you?"
Samuel L. Jackson
Frank Oz - "5 out of 6 movies! And your character lightsaber dueled?"
Ewan McGreggor
Liam Neeson - "How did it all play out?"
Ahmed Best - "Do you regret playing JarJar?"
Temurra Morrison - "Which movie was more fun?"
Daniel Logan - "Boba Fett on TV?"
Christopher Lee - "How do you keep going at nearly 80?"
Silas Carson - "You played a lot of characters. Who's your favorite?"
Hugh Quarshie - "Any regrets for not doing AOTC and ROTS? What did you think?"
Ben Burt - "Does R2D2 swear incessantly in the OT?"
Kierra Knightley - "Was you voice heard delivering any speaking lines in the film?'
Warrick Davis - "Well what do you think? It's complete at last."
Jeremy Bulloch - "From Bounty Hunter to Blockade Runner - and how was TM and Danny?"
Jake Lloyd - "How was Hayden Christensen?"
Hayden Christensen - "How was Natalie Portman?"
Natalie Portman - "Are you busy this evening?"

Gosh there are so many questions I could ask them all now!

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 03:47 PM
This is still a stupid promotion, my position on that has not changed. My position on the fan club in general hasn't changed either, I don't like it at all. If Dustin won fair and square, I guess good for him, but I don't like how Rebelscum went about it, their attitude at the time didn't seem very "fan" to me. However, I think the fan club owes us an explanation for how the prelim numbers could be so far off from the final result, I'm not saying they have to reverse their decision but I would like to see them explain it.

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't like it at all.
Perhaps... an autographed photo of say... Bib Fortuna, from Official Pix might change your mind?

Luuuuuuke
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
It's funny they're beating on Dustin Roberts like he's a pinata. I've said it before, no place cannibalizes on its own members like RS. And if you're a newbie--or a "nooB" as they like to say--no place eats its own young with quite the same gusto.

I'm sure most RS members are cool, but good God, when they smell blood in the water, there's never a deficit of people willing to jump in there and attack some poor shlob with nasty comments. And it doesn't take much to set some of those people off. I'd be afraid of getting a Cantina alien's name wrong on that site.

I guess even a head cheese like Dustin isn't safe.

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I heard some guy in Canada complained that the General Greivus Transformer (sic) was a 'pice of carp' (sic) and got banned for it after a bunch of guys ripped him a new butt.

mabudonicus
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Holy COW, what Luuuuke said... and then what Chux said.... funny, that's what this thread already said, but somehow I laughed so damn hard at the last 2 posts I HAD to type something

BTW does anyone want to get oegether and put SW transformers pieces together with Beat Wars pieces and make up some totally kewl new toys????

:beard:

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Perhaps... an autographed photo of say... Bib Fortuna, from Official Pix might change your mind?
That was a good one! :D

Sith Lord 0498
07-11-2006, 05:33 PM
OK...so it's come out that there's an excellent chance of a conflict of interest. Per Phil Wise...

"We have an affiliate relationship with Starwarsshop.com and it is possible and even likely some subscriptions to the fan club paid us a commission, generally 5%, or $2.00. ... "

When this was discussed in more depth by other members throughout the forum page, this was Phil getting in the last word:

"So, I'm done messing with this discussion as it's just running around in circles. I have spent valuable time I did not have messing with this subject.

To those who are ****ed off Dustin won: Whether you showed your cards here or not, leave now. I don't wish you to be using our resources ever again.

I await emails with your user accounts so I may close them.

No more discussion on this topic will be allowed."

WOW!! I wish I could be shocked speechless. So basically, if you're an average forumite who didn't like the campaign and therefore the winner and you NEVER GRIPED ABOUT IT PUBLICLY, Mr. Wise wants you gone.

What a %*(%#()($)@*%^%@#*@)#%*%)*#%)@)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there are quite a few expletives in that string).

Once I finish any outstanding transactions, I'm done with those clowns. How egotistical and totalitarian do you have to be???!!!

I'm not prone to asking such a thing, but I need to this time. Any other message boards you may be affilitated with (although none run by this ****head), please point this out to other collectors.

Here's the link to the important page:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=2006179&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=4

It's time people knew what kind of people are running that site. And it's funny...Dustin never once came on to either defend himself or reassure people with concerns. Just Phil bashing people.

MAJOR EDIT: Not only did Wise lock the thread, he ERASED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE LAST POST (HIS)

SirSteve
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I would be highly interested in seeing the entire thread. Did anyone happen to save it?

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Just an update to your post Sith Lord, Phil has deleted the thread in question, he says in a locked replacement thread there the same stuff you posted, plus this:

"And, yes, I have also removed the thread. A thread such as this does not deserve to be retained."

LTBasker
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Personally I find it all to be BS, what can Dustin really do anyways? Considering how long it seems to take them to do anything, it'll probably be half the year until Dustin actually gets any "control" and even then anything he tries to do will probably take another half year or so.

As far as Rebelscum's campaign goes, it feels to me like it was more of a way for them to try to be come "THE OFFICIAL" fan site of Star Wars. It would've been more interesting if they had done the campaign thing with other sites joining in so it actually would've been a contest instead of "hey lets boost our egoes!"

Overall, I haven't been impressed by Rebelscum for the past few years and especially not Wise as they seem to become worse each year.

Sith Lord 0498
07-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Just an update to your post Sith Lord, Phil has deleted the thread in question, he says in a locked replacement thread there the same stuff you posted, plus this:

"And, yes, I have also removed the thread. A thread such as this does not deserve to be retained."

It sure sounds like he realized that admitting the monetary commission was going to blow up in his face, so he erased all trace of it.

I just hope someone saved that information and forwards it to LFL and IDG.

It's not that I'm out to get anyone. But if there was a real conflict of interest, then Dustin should be disqualified.

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
It's apparant by that post that it's not just the 'Rebel' that Mr. Wise puts in RS.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
The shroud of the dark side has fallen.

decadentdave
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
"You're either with me, or you're my enemy!"

Hmmm...

lol

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
What a tool, I am glad I dont go there anymore.

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
I sense a lot of negativity from you guys. Perhaps a free autographed photo of Rune Haako from Official Pix would cheer you all up.

...and if not... GET THE HELL OFF MY SITE... AAAAARRRRGGG!

;)

Luuuuuuke
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Philip Wise has proven to be quite the Fool. In fact, he should change his name to Philip Fool.

What a %$%@, immature idiot. As soon as he can't keep the lies together, he just throws a tantrum and acts like a mini-Napoleon. Screw you Wise, and screw your premenstrual syndrome-afflicted website. And take your pet monkey fan club prez with you!

2-1B
07-12-2006, 01:47 AM
I love it ! :D

This drama is entertaining...if the DB thread hadn't been deleted in the Block, I would call Wise a DB right now. lol lol lol

DarthBrandon
07-12-2006, 03:43 AM
That's just too funny, too bad I don't visit RS all that much to care. What a DA that Wise fellow is.:o

mabudonicus
07-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Perhaps a free autographed photo of Rune Haako from Official Pix would cheer you all up.
Okay, the first one was funny but somehow the seond one was even better, you should stop it before someone chokes to death....

.....perhaps on a limited edition, signed, chrome-embossed picture of Joh Yowzah, from Official Pics :D

Seriously though, I have never seen something so evocative of the term "Arsehat" (better if you replace "arse" with something just a bit stronger but not much) as this whole fiasco, very funny to watch from here :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 06:33 AM
I love it ! :D

This drama is entertaining...if the DB thread hadn't been deleted in the Block, I would call Wise a DB right now. lol lol lol
The CB? What's that? I need a link to that place to keep in my bookmarks (wink, wink).

No, seriously, I need one. Someone shoot me a PM, please. :)

Slicker
07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
What a tool, I am glad I dont go there anymore.Me too.

I'm just glad we went out in a blaze of glory.

Kidhuman
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Me too.

I'm just glad we went out in a blaze of glory.

That was great going out like that. Might have to do it again sometime.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Did YOU guys have something to do with the thread being closed at RS?

Were you all naughty?

mabudonicus
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Uhhh.... "naughty"??? some of "us", yes, some of "us", no :beard:

F'rinstance, I never bypassed the autocensor, but to say anymore would be telling, except perhaps that the loss of one's home sometimes drives men to madness, thank goodness it's back :D

Tycho
07-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I know exactly how you feel. It was only a week ago that I lost my underwear. Did you find your home under the couch cushions, too?

mabudonicus
07-12-2006, 04:45 PM
no, just cos ya wake up there don't mean ya lives there, Tycho :beard:

But let's just say that someone sympathetic called the dogs off and the fun kinda ended, but it was F U N like C N N as said by James Earl Jones :)

And word to the wise-arse.... SAVE every time you post, the whole thread, sometimes you get 2 days (no joke, THAT was funny shtuff) and sometimes the hammer falls while you're still typing your first post :D

jjreason
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
What a gong show. If Dustin wins, he'll have less credibility than a certain Texan. And I thought "Florida-gate" was fishy.

Kidhuman
07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
If, he was announced already. Pony Express must not go to Canada.

Slicker
07-12-2006, 05:46 PM
If, he was announced already. Pony Express must not go to Canada.LMAO!!!

Awesome, KH.

Blue2th
07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
So now that USCWannabe (Caesar) is the Al Gore of the Fan Club Election, what's he gonna do with all that spare time? Make a movie?lol

jjreason
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
As FF1138's campaign manager, I'll hereby step forward and accept responsibility for our team's failure. I think exposure may have been an issue, I'll stand by the viability of my candidate. The man produced twins for cryin' out loud.

CaptainSolo1138
07-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Maybe my baby maker should've run instead.

We had the whole international border thing against us from the beginning. You don't have to take the blame for this, tiger.

Now, c'mon. Let's go get ice cream.