PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Revenge of the Sith

2-1B
05-19-2006, 01:28 AM
One Year Old Today.

Wow, a year ago at this very time I was sitting in a midnight screening...amazing how fast a year goes, eh? :)

Kidhuman
05-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Been a long year. Happy birthday to the end of an era.

JediTricks
05-19-2006, 02:30 AM
I had to think for a second to remember how it went, since stupid Fox and Mann couldn't come to an agreement, the Grauman's Chinese didn't have the movie, ruining the run. I think I went to some 4-theater generic stadium in Glendale in the afternoon. I remember there being a bunch of teenage girls.

Slicker
05-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow. It's been a year already? It's hard to believe. I can still remember my first showing of it which was at 9 in the morning.

stillakid
05-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, but these post-humous b'day celebrations are always a bit sad. :dead:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Don't forget about its older brother, TPM, who turns seven today.

I'm watching the prequels today with a friend to honor the day. :D

My first viewing was at 4:30, I think. Before the movie my mom and I went to 7-11 to get one of the Slurpee cups and some SW M&Ms, then the rest of my family met us later. God it seems like yesterday.

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2006, 11:05 PM
It's been one year since I heard Guyute do his Chewbacca noises in the back parking lot of the AMC.

bobafrett
05-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, I was going to post a picture from the theatre that night, but I can't find the card that has the pictures from that night. I got to see it for free with the theatre employees as I was stormtrooping my way around the theatre that evening.

jjreason
05-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Man, that was an expensive year - and even moreso if we backdate it to the release of the ROTS merchandise.

One year ago I was in the theatre, eagerly anticipating the start of the show.... with 90 minutes to go. :upset:

What I recall most about my first viewing:

- being really antsy about not knowing what was going to happen after Dooku got killed

- being truly shocked, truly, truly shocked at the scene where Ani turns on the lightsaber in front of the younglings

- marveling at the saberplay between Ani and Obi

- marveling at Ewan's delivery of the "you were the chosen one" lines

- wincing at Vader's "No! NO! NO!!!!" , and Palpatine's "The force is strong with youuuuuuuuuuuuu" (he still looks like a bullfrog to me during that part)

- getting misty when I realized the movie was wrapping, feeling like they weren't dragging those great "Trilogy-transition" shots out long enough... then figuring out it was me.... not wanting to say goodbye to friends I've had for over 90% of my life

It was an emotional night, quite possibly the most emotional movie night of my life. I really loved it, and am very pleased with how it's held up in all the viewings since.

2-1B
05-20-2006, 05:09 AM
What's that about a posthumous birthday ? :confused:

Palpatine's "The force is strong with youuuuuuuuuuuuu" (he still looks like a bullfrog to me during that part)

Oh man, that's a classic moment and your bullfrog comparison is very noble of you...because all summer long, JimJam and I were referencing that scene in ways that can't be described here. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I remember at my first viewing, there was this fat lady sitting behind me who was talking quite a bit. During the opening scroll, she said something to the effect of "they saved a lot of money doing it that way!" And then was talking during the Vader rebuilding scene.

One of the few things I didn't know about was the Order 66 scene, which totally took me by surprise.

I didn't get to watch ROTS yesterday as I got a migraine right as the Invisible Hand was coming back to Coruscant and I started getting blurred vision. :cry: It was at least good to see TPM and AOTC, I hadn't seen any SW film since I did the six-film marathon in January.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-20-2006, 12:50 PM
It was the only movie I went to see at midnight. I was a ways back in the line. There were a few people in costume. I recall there was a girl who was wearing a Pooh costume and a sign that said "Ewok".

JimJamBonds
05-21-2006, 12:47 AM
One Year Old Today.

Wow, a year ago at this very time I was sitting in a midnight screening...amazing how fast a year goes, eh? :)

And we were sweating our you know what's off watching ROTS.

mabudonicus
05-21-2006, 08:20 AM
My most vivd memory was Chuxs initial "review" :beard:
well, and dressing as Jar JAr and having the most nerdiest of the nerds in the theatre BEG me to let them simulate beheading me and then yelling to their "master" .... "Twenty Points" while holding the mask aloft... good thing I'd brought me flask

Another odd memory- the theatre let everyone in at maybe 10 o'clock to get ready ond goof off and all, but at the late hour everyone really wanted to drink coffee which the theatre couldn't supply, so for that one golden time, they were letting folks enter the theatre with pretty much whatever food/drink one could imagine, it was like for 2 hours SW had beaten the evil spell over our Canadian theatre-experience

:beard:

JEDIpartner
05-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I remember at my first viewing, there was this fat lady sitting behind me who was talking quite a bit.

People who talk through movie presentations should be bludgeoned to death.

Happy birthday, ROTS!!!!!

JON9000
05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
I met Jang, err, Jetsandheels at the theater and I remember starting to feel a need to shake hands with the mayor about the time Anakin landed the ship. By the time Obi and Grievous fought, my eyeballs were going yellow. I finally bailed when they went back to the Jedi Temple... it seemed like a slow moment with exposition of what I already knew. That was the longest whizz ever.

JetsAndHeels
05-24-2006, 12:36 AM
I met Jang, err, Jetsandheels at the theater and I remember starting to feel a need to shake hands with the mayor about the time Anakin landed the ship. By the time Obi and Grievous fought, my eyeballs were going yellow. I finally bailed when they went back to the Jedi Temple... it seemed like a slow moment with exposition of what I already knew. That was the longest whizz ever.

Yep, that was fun to watch together...remember how they brought the concessions into the theater because they were so busy...not a bad business gimmick. If they did that in every showing I am sure they made alot off of people like me who were too lazy to get up and go to the actual stand in the lobby.

timmae
05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
oh yeah, 2 more years til the next one. keep the cool toys coming!!!:thumbsup:

2-1B
06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
My apologies to KH:

http://www.swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=614

I stayed in tonight to get some stuff done at home, so in the background I have ROTS playing on HBO right now as I type, afterall. I guess I have to eat my words from SWC. :nerv:

It's weird because I have a widescreen TV so I set the format to 4:3 so I could watch the Fullscreen presentation in the way it was originally intended. :crazed:

Slicker
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
My apologies to KH:

http://www.swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=614

I stayed in tonight to get some stuff done at home, so in the background I have ROTS playing on HBO right now as I type, afterall. I guess I have to eat my words from SWC. :nerv:

It's weird because I have a widescreen TV so I set the format to 4:3 so I could watch the Fullscreen presentation in the way it was originally intended. :crazed:Thanks for the reminder Caesar. I've got it on right now too.:thumbsup:

2-1B
06-03-2006, 10:59 PM
and now I have it on again, west coast feed. :D

Hey, I do that with The Sopranos and Deadwood, why not Star Wars? :crazed:

Right now Anakin is salty that Obi-Wan wants him to spy on the Chancellor, and soon Anakin's gonna go get some seduction oozed on him by Charlotte at the Opera House. "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest, didn't they?" :D

bobafrett
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Finally found the compact flash card that I had the pictures from that night.

bobafrett
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
More from that night.......Oh, the child in the Yoda costume in my previous post was so cute, he came up and just held my hand, I felt a little awkward at first, as most kids tend to run when they see an Imperial Stormtrooper. Not this kid, he didn't want to let go.

Slicker
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I love that middle picture Frett!!!!

I don't know if I've ever asked or if you've ever said but did you make your own armor or did you buy it? If you bought from where did you get it?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Oh great. Another reminder of how I chose to see Herbie instead of Star Wars back in 1977.

Kidhuman
06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice pics Frett. Since when does a codpiece come with a front door?

bobafrett
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I love that middle picture Frett!!!!

I don't know if I've ever asked or if you've ever said but did you make your own armor or did you buy it? If you bought from where did you get it?

I'd only answer that via PM. One of the "Lucas" laws. Actually the costuming club requests that we don't tell on a public forum.

Nice pics Frett. Since when does a codpiece come with a front door?

One of the tips for comfort is to cut the armor under the belt, and hot glue elastic strips, so you can tip the cod piece up to relieve thyself instead of having to take about 2/3rds of the armor off in order to take a pee. Doesn't work if you have to do that other bodily waste removal function.

Oh great. Another reminder of how I chose to see Herbie instead of Star Wars back in 1977.

That's right, and this was the lame Lindsey Lohan version! Shoulda gone with the sci fi flick!!!!

JimJamBonds
06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
and now I have it on again, west coast feed. :D

Hey, I do that with The Sopranos and Deadwood, why not Star Wars? :crazed:

Because you didn't go and see The Sopranos and Corpsewood a zillion times in the theater.

2-1B
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Good point, that is true. :)
Way to get to the bottom of it, Prof. Langdon. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
That's right, and this was the lame Lindsey Lohan version! Shoulda gone with the sci fi flick!!!!The one I saw had Don Knotts. I think I'd rather look at Lindsay Lohan, but then I was 7 at the time, so I wouldn't have cared. I didn't even remember that it had Don Knotts, I had to look it up just now. In the end, I only postponed my destiny.

2-1B
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Anybody have any idea why HBO's version was fullscreen with widescreen credits ? :confused:

Kidhuman
06-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Probaly because of the editing down of it. Filmed in Widescreen and changed to 4 x 3 format for viewing, but since hardly anyone watches credits or pays attention to them, they left it.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Anybody have any idea why HBO's version was fullscreen with widescreen credits ? :confused:
I suspect it's because when it gets into the multi-column format with all the computer guys' names, FS would cut them off.

2-1B
06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
That makes sense, JT. Funny that they would take such care with the credit lists but not the cropping of the actual movie. lol

JediTricks
06-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe it's in their work contracts and Lucas didn't want to get sued by 1500 computer grunts. :p

2-1B
06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Happy Birthday, Revenge of the Sith "Who's Your Daddy?" Father's Day 2005 promotional poster.

JimJamBonds
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Happy Birthday, Revenge of the Sith "Who's Your Daddy?" Father's Day 2005 promotional poster.

What was our combined haul again? It was in the 60-70ish range wasn't it?!?! :D

2-1B
06-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it was pretty obscene...but we went on Sunday that weekend so we had last grabs at it making it completely justified. I think we neared 80? :confused: We left PLENTY though, plus we disseminated them through the ranks of SSG so our efforts were noble. :)

Happy Birthday, anniversary of me 'n' JimJam stockpiling WYDFD2005 posters. :grin:

Kidhuman
06-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Thanks fellas, because of your haul, Cappy solo got some and then passed me some.

2-1B
06-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Mafia style ! Kick up to the "Captain" ;) and it continues to spread. lol

JimJamBonds
06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks fellas, because of your haul, Cappy solo got some and then passed me some.

Not a problem. :)

Slicker
06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
I've got the good Captain to thank as well as the Wisconsin boys.:thumbsup:

2-1B
06-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Slick, those AOTC posters were shipped today. Enjoy. :)

JimJamBonds
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I've got the good Captain to thank as well as the Wisconsin boys.:thumbsup:

I only did it so I could get Cappys addy so I know where to send the anthrax. :sur:

2-1B
06-07-2007, 09:41 PM
a little belated but happy 2nd bday of your release, ROTS. Still an enjoyable movie a few years later. :) Fun summer, that '05 turned out to be.

UKWildcat
06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Yes, happy belated ROTS. I can't say I "orgasm" everytime I watch you (like Caesar) but you were definitely the best prequel.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Caesar is not able to be here today, but he wanted to wish ROTS and 2-1B's intimate Sith probe a happy 3rd birthday.

JimJamBonds
05-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm on the phone right now with him and since Caesar is not able to be here today, but he wanted to thank Mr. JabbaJohnL for wishing ROTS and 2-1B's intimate Sith probe a happy 3rd birthday.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!! Happy birthday to the movie that saved the prequel era!!

Devo
05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Party pooper ahoy!! Revenge of the Sith you were a mistake. You are a terrible Star Wars film and a crippling dissappointment after the achievements and greatness of your elder siblings of the late 70s/early 80s. You were conceived on a weak spurt of mental seed as a mere matter of course and obligation following the production of your almost-as-crap prequel brothers. :twisted: I hope that bursts all your balloons and drops your cake on a faeces-matted carpet.

JediTricks
05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Your birthday means nothing to me, ROTS. I went and you were no fun. Like AOTC, upon seeing you, I had no desire to see you again, you weren't worth more of my time - and this is coming from a "prequel hater" that saw TPM almost a dozen times.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey Droid and JT, did you post that before or after you went to the park and smashed ice cream in childrens' faces?

;)

bobafrett
05-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I liked ROTS, you meanies. I still hold the OT over the ROTS, but at least I can bear watching it, unlike Episodes I and II which usually put me to sleep.

El Chuxter
05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Smashing ice cream in kids' faces? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Smashing ice cream in kids' faces? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

Violence is not the answer. Taunt them and tell them they can't have any like in that Eddie Murphy routine.

2-1B
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks JimJam for thanking JabbaJohn for me.

Mvader91
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Just watched this today. I think ROTS kicks butt. Tells more of the story in my opinion.

bobafrett
05-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Violence is not the answer. Taunt them and tell them they can't have any like in that Eddie Murphy routine.

You can't have any ice cream, cause your moms on welfare!

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Hey Droid and JT, did you post that before or after you went to the park and smashed ice cream in childrens' faces?

;)Those weren't children, and that wasn't ice cream.

I liked ROTS, you meanies. I still hold the OT over the ROTS, but at least I can bear watching it, unlike Episodes I and II which usually put me to sleep.Don't blame me for Lucas' failure in the cave.

Just watched this today. I think ROTS kicks butt. Tells more of the story in my opinion.Lucas says this too, that the other 2 films are less than 20% of the story each. That makes a large burden for ROTS to carry, it's a good thing Lucas is such a talented, weathered filmmaker or else the movie would have been crushed under that weight. :p

General_Grievous
05-24-2008, 12:31 AM
It's been three years. Wasn't Star Wars Episode IV supposed to come out this year? :confused:

2-1B
05-19-2010, 07:06 AM
It's been 5 years since ROTS was released? Wow! I still remember 5/19/2005 rather vividly...where does a half-decade go? lol

Well, I'm going to give the E3 DVD a spin tonight, I've not watched it in awhile so I'm looking forward to watching this again, along with a little 2005 nostalgia. Maybe I'll get a few Burger King kids meals on the way home from work. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
05-19-2010, 09:24 AM
It's been 5 years since ROTS was released? Wow! I still remember 5/19/2005 rather vividly...where does a half-decade go? lol

Well, I'm going to give the E3 DVD a spin tonight, I've not watched it in awhile so I'm looking forward to watching this again, along with a little 2005 nostalgia. Maybe I'll get a few Burger King kids meals on the way home from work. :thumbsup:

They asked you to do something dishonest didn't they?

Ando
05-19-2010, 05:05 PM
WOW! 5 years to the day! I can't believe it. 5 years ago today, I took the day off of work to spend with my best friend (now wife). We weren't even dating yet. We spent the day hanging out and we did the following:

- Sold an engagement ring (from my previous relationship). This was the first thing we did so that I could spend the cash on whatever we did that day.
- Hung out at the mall and I bought a new pair of sunglasses with my "refund".
- I treated my wife to lunch and then we went to see Revenge of the Sith.
- Last but not least (and the excuse I used with my boss/dad for taking the day off) we went to look at apartments for me since my roommate and I were sort of on the outs and decided it'd be best if we went our separate ways. I ended up getting the first apartment we looked at. We looked at two, but the first one is the one I fell in love with. Hardwood floors, big bay windows, high ceilings, etc. all in an older building.

That day will always be special to me since it was the beginning of the end of me and my wife just being friends and becoming something more. We started dating 5 months later and we will be celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary next month on June 9th.

What a great day May 19 2005 was!

2-1B
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Congrats, Ando!

My day was not quite as romantic:

12am (midnight) I saw ROTS with JimJam and some other friends.
I slept for several hours and had the 19th off of work (I worked nights at the time).
I drove out with JimJam and 2 other friends to see the movie again that afternoon on the UltraScreen. We stopped at Burger King for lunch and promo toys before the movie.
After the movie, we went to Perkins for dinner, also did some shopping at Best Buy or wherever.
Then we went back and saw the first evening show, also on the Ultrascreen, making it a trifecta for that day.

So yeah, not nearly as romantic as Ando's...but equally awesome. :thumbsup: lol

(yes, it was very crazy seeing it 3X on opening day but meh, it was a fun time...by comparison, 3+ years later I saw the Clone Wars movie one time (in the 2nd weekend of release) and I don't think I've watched it all the way through on DVD...only in chunks).

DarkJedi5
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
So, to celebrate I fired up my DVD player and is it just me or does the ARC pilot at around the four minute mark have Boba Fett's emblem (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jaster%27s_Feather.svg) on the side of his helmet? It's right after the first ARC blows up and the clone says "They're all over me." Excuse me if this is all old news, like I said I just noticed and had never seen anything about it.

JimJamBonds
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Congrats, Ando!

My day was not quite as romantic:

12am (midnight) I saw ROTS with JimJam and some other friends.
I slept for several hours and had the 19th off of work (I worked nights at the time).
I drove out with JimJam and 2 other friends to see the movie again that afternoon on the UltraScreen. We stopped at Burger King for lunch and promo toys before the movie.
After the movie, we went to Perkins for dinner, also did some shopping at Best Buy or wherever.
Then we went back and saw the first evening show, also on the Ultrascreen, making it a trifecta for that day.

So yeah, not nearly as romantic as Ando's...but equally awesome. :thumbsup: lol

(yes, it was very crazy seeing it 3X on opening day but meh, it was a fun time...by comparison, 3+ years later I saw the Clone Wars movie one time (in the 2nd weekend of release) and I don't think I've watched it all the way through on DVD...only in chunks).

So you're saying I'm not romantic? :D

2-1B
05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
So, to celebrate I fired up my DVD player and is it just me or does the ARC pilot at around the four minute mark have Boba Fett's emblem (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jaster%27s_Feather.svg) on the side of his helmet? It's right after the first ARC blows up and the clone says "They're all over me." Excuse me if this is all old news, like I said I just noticed and had never seen anything about it.

I'll check it out when I watch it tonight.

So you're saying I'm not romantic? :D

I don't remember you paying for either meal, or either movie...so...no.

El Chuxter
05-19-2010, 08:35 PM
To paraphrase Norm MacDonald's one funny moment as host of Weekend Update, "Happy birthday, Revenge of the Sith. Hope you like crap! 'Cause you are crap!"

Okay, that's a bit much; just trying to be funny and I think I failed.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
To paraphrase Norm MacDonald's one funny moment as host of Weekend Update, "Happy birthday, Revenge of the Sith. Hope you like crap! 'Cause you are crap!"

Okay, that's a bit much; just trying to be funny and I think I failed.

Or so the Germans would have us believe.

Rocketboy
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I was in the middle of the Caribbean on my honeymoon.

When scheduling the trip I thought ROTS came out on the 25th for some reason.
I ended up seeing it with Cappy the day after I got back.

2-1B
05-20-2010, 07:11 AM

I saw it last night, I'm not sure if it's the actual emblem but it looked similar in the movie! I might have to put the dvd in my computer tonight and get a screen cap...interesting.

DarkArtist
05-20-2010, 07:35 AM
I remember having the day off actually...my future brother in law was graduating from college in PA and we were going there to see his ceremony. the morning was a run to burger king were i was able to get a few of the toys (at the time had a relative that worked for Burger King and he was able to get a big bag of the toys for me (got the whole set).

then on the way down i was told that my future brother-in-law was able to score tickets for the midnight screening of ROTS. we waited in line for about 20 minutes and were treated to a lightsaber duel on the rooftop of the theater... it was a good night by all

tagmac
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Can't believe it's been 5 years already! I was still in night school finishing up my teaching degree, and working as a teacher's aide. I remember seeing the midnight showing with some friends, but rather than take off the next day, I took a nap for a few hours ahead of time. Since I was in an elementary school, the boys in the class thought it was awesome that I had seen it already.

Went back that evening to see it with my g/f (who has since become my wife) and some other friends. Everyone but my wife enjoyed it (as she isn't a fan of these movies in the first place, but went to be with me).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
It does seem kind of strange that it's been five years (well, five years and a day). I haven't watched the films for a year or so, I don't think . . . I need to correct that soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
So, since this is right around all the films' anniversaries, do I have the following dates correct? (too lazy to verify with 'flawless' website content, and to a-keep-a this-a thread going)

5/16 = AOTC
5/19 = TPM, ROTS
5/20 = ESB
5/25 = ANH, ROJ

(and I may be wrong, just because midnight showings confuse me as to which date is legit)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
So, since this is right around all the films' anniversaries, do I have the following dates correct? (too lazy to verify with 'flawless' website content, and to a-keep-a this-a thread going)

5/16 = AOTC
5/19 = TPM, ROTS
5/20 = ESB
5/25 = ANH, ROJ

(and I may be wrong, just because midnight showings confuse me as to which date is legit)
ESB is 5-21, but you're otherwise correct.

Slicker
05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I remember that I couldn't go to the midnight showing because I was at work. I could've left but there was a meeting that we all HAD to go to and it started at midnight. I ended up going the next morning when I got off work.