PDA

View Full Version : "SW Unleashed" Didn't you learn from Epic Force's failures?

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 08:55 AM
The title of this thread says it all for me, I cannot believe you (Hasbro) are going to waste more Star Wars shelf space with your retailers on bunk like this. Look at how badly Epic Force bombed... TWICE! This is Epic Force but without even the one point of articulation those had - not a smart move. Don't waste more plastic on a line destined to tank, make these super-limited and save your energy for the figures.

By the way, I'm really disappointed in you - Hasbro - in this whole "overposed" issue, this line is just the final extension of a problem that is driving folks like me away from Star Wars figures - overposed figures instead of better articulation.

JEDIpartner
01-24-2002, 09:41 AM
I never bought the Epic Force line either. I thought the pieces were nice for larger figures, but if I want larger figures I will just go for the 12" line.

I've pretty much taken all my shots at the "Unloved" line... oh, "Unleashed" line... sorry. My bad. I really have no need for such useless petroleum product. I really have no use for most of the upcoming lines, which is sad since I have been an avid collector since 1978!!! So here's me collecting for almost 25 years and Hasbro goes and pulls this bone-headed manoeuver. Over posed figures that have nothing in common with the progression of the entire series up to this point. I can do without all of the hyperactive poses. I suppose if they absolutely HAD to pose this figures in such bizarre stances, at least they could have bothered to alter the leg poses. They all either seem to be stepping to the left or to the right. Borrrrrrrring...! You get enough of these things in a row with their legs going in the same direction... it's either going to look like they are engaging in battle on a slope or they are doing the Macarena, which- by the way, Hasbro... no one likes anymore either.

InsaneJediGirl
01-24-2002, 10:35 AM
I have an Epic Force DarthVader,which I obtained for 2 dollars because they sat on the shelf forever at TRU.I know
that these "Unleashed" statues/figures/pieces o crud will bomb
just like the Epic Force line.Now,why didnt Hasbro learn their
lesson with the Epic Force line?!!Are they(Hasbro)
too idiotic to realize people do not want this stuff?

Jayspawn
01-24-2002, 11:45 AM
Because some idiot who still works for Hasbro, and likes those dumb things said :

"Those Epic Force figures were such a great idea, they were so cool! We're going to a line of them for Episode II and they're going to be neat!"

*yawn* Anyway, I agree with JediTricks on the whole overposed figure topic. It's got to stop. It's getting to damn annoying seeing figures with so much potential come out and just stand there.

El Chuxter
01-24-2002, 12:10 PM
I don't think they look too bad. I won't buy them, though. They won't sell at all, and I'll be able to pick them up for 1/4 of the original price a year or so from now.

Wolfwood319
01-24-2002, 12:27 PM
I'll be able to pick them up for 1/4 of the original price a year or so from now.

But why would you want to?

They cancel the Tick, Hasbro is off in gaga land to joing GL, the Bears lost, no more cartoons on any channel except for Cartoon Network, but they took all the good anime off, what is the world coming to?

bigbarada
01-24-2002, 07:35 PM
My brother likes these things; but it's no surprise since he is studying sculpture in college. He sees them as pieces of art, and I think that may be what's behind some of Hasbro's thinking. However, kids don't want to pretend to be little museum curators they want to pretend to be bounty hunters and starpilots and Jedi and such.

I just hope my brother doesn't buy me one of these for my birthday, which is the day after Ep2's premiere. I'd hate to try to pretend to like it.

Jayspawn
01-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Right on Bigbarada! I'll have to pass on these. I'm assuming these will be plastic rather than some kinda resin. Oh who cares, I'm not getting them anyway.

sith_killer_99
01-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Well, I guess I'm the only one who kinda likes the idea of these mini statues.;)

I snagged a few of the Epic Force figs and they are proudly displayed on my computer desk.:)

I mainly picked them up because they were cheap and because they have nice detail. Plus they display better than the 4 inch stuff.

I only bought 5:
Darth Vader
Darth Maul
Boba Fett
Stormtrooper
C-3PO

As for the new "Unleashed" line, well???

Personally, I think that if Hasbro is going to do this they should make the detail as good or better than the McFarlane Statues.

If they REALLY wanted to grab collectors with a 6-7 inch line they should do the following:

1. Super-articulate! These things should have as much or close to as much articulation as the Spider-man figs (30+ points WOW!).

2. Super-detailed! To include cloth capes and removable accessories. Lightsabers with removable blades, and clips to hook on belts. Vader should have a 3 piece removable helmet and removable hand.

3. Precise scale figures. Vader should tower over Leia, etc.

4. Cool base, like the Spider-man series. Huh, notice a trend here?

Anyway, I will probably buy a couple of the better looking statues when they go on clearance.;)

But this line is NOT intended for children.:Pirate:

GNT
01-25-2002, 09:48 PM
If you don't like,don't buy simple :) Personally I don't like them so I'm going to buy them,my money will go to other uses :)

sith_killer_99
01-25-2002, 11:23 PM
"Personally I don't like them so I'm going to buy them"

Huh:confused:

Lord Malakite
01-26-2002, 12:44 AM
I think he just forgot a word. :zzz: Either that, or he was high. :p

Obi-Don
01-26-2002, 03:42 AM
I agree with GNT some what. I will buy the ones that I like even if they are one pose. I guess I will have to see them 1st. I also think many will just to keep thier collections a live.

Rollo Tomassi
01-26-2002, 12:38 PM
A note from Hasbro:

"No! No! No! That was Epic Force! This is Untouched! I mean...Unleashed! See the difference?!!? The names are different!! Plus, Darth Maul is doing ballet on a twizzler!! People will eat that stuff up! See??! We here at Hasbro are confident that discerning Star Wars fans and collectors will be able to see these readily apparent differences between the Epic Force line and our dreadfu...I mean dramatic new line of Unleashed action..er...statues. Give us your money!"

sith_killer_99
01-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Seeeeeeeeend meeeee your money!:greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

Hey wait a minute, Suicidal Tendencies, Hasbro, Hmmmmmm?:Pirate:

TeeEye7
01-29-2002, 04:19 AM
The line will vastly improve when Hasbro next comes out with the "Star Wars Unchained" figs....;)

evenflow
01-29-2002, 05:41 PM
As of now I do not plan on buying them, just don't like them.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
01-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Yeah, these blow. I never got into Epic force or Jedi Power or whatever it was called, either. I only have Boba and 3po from Epic Force. I won't be getting any of these, even if they go on clearance, which they probably will.:dead: :( :mad: :dead:

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Ugh.

That's all I can say really.

Ugh.

I finally saw this crap...I mean, this product on the shelf yesterday. It looks even worse in person than it did in pictures on the 'net. If that's possible.

So...uh...when do these go on clearance?

dr_evazan22
06-11-2002, 08:57 AM
I thought the Vader, Boba, and 3PO Epic's were good sculpts, and the figures look pretty good in their packaging, w/ the accurate backgrounds.

Now, the others, like Unleashed, are just a waste. It is too bad that Hasbro produces items that the majority of people will just pass on. Like one of you said, put the energy and resources to better use in the 3-3/4" and 12" lines.

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 09:21 AM
My interest meter is still running on empty for these things.

If Hasbro really wants to get young teenage boys collecting Star Wars figures then why don't they release an "Undressed" line? With Padme and Princess Leia in the first wave and Oola and the Twi'lek Masseuse in the second wave?;)

Rogue II
06-11-2002, 09:42 AM
I saw the Boba/Jango Fett Unleashed at TRU last weekend. Just like the Epic Farce figures, I'll never buy anything from this line.

Now why would they make these after the failure of the Epic Force line? I still see C-3PO on occasion at toystores keeping dust off theshelf.

The time of the sculptors and the plastic for these things should have been used for more Classic Saga 3-3/4" figures.

Undressed Pademe? Why not, they already made the Undressed Slave Leia. Well, she was at least scantily clad.

icatch9
06-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Did you know that right now in the Action Figure world McFarlane rules. It's ture he has revelutionized the action figure and toy universe. These new "Unleashed" figures are ment to compete (to a point) with McFarlane toys. McFarlane as I'm sure you all know are the most realistic looking toys ever made. They are more poplular than ever and have 1 to 0 points of articulation. These new unleashed figures are not ment to be played with. They are not ment to be put in ships or have lightsaber duals. They are ment to sit on the shelf and look cool. So, for that purpose I think they look great. I can't wait to have a Vader on my mantle.

Personally I don't understand the problem with this being statues. Who cares that they don't move? They aren't supposed to. I like statues. I think they are cool. I don't know if I ever wanted to be a curator when I was a kid, but I had my toys displayed on shelves all over my room when I was a kid. Sure, I'd take them down to play with them, but afterwards they be right back on the shelf like a museum. Same as today, I wish I could afford a whole building to house a toy museum.

Lord Tenebrous
06-11-2002, 10:59 AM
I think Hasbro totally missed their target of teenagers.

1) Teenagers are insecure.

Apart from having to walk into a toy aisle, the packaging isn't subtle, and is tacky enough to deter potential consumers.

2) Teenagers look to those with power for inspiration.

Jango Fett and Darth Maul are just one-trick ponies that die within a single episode. The first wave should have been Darth Vader and Han Solo, staple characters who have had a long-lasting impression on audiences, regardless of age.

3) Teenagers have a limited budget.

So they'll likely buy one. McFarlane figures are stacked to the roof at the local KB Liquidator. Teens aren't going to buy all of these, especially when there are other things out there more worthy of their money (like their girlfriend).

A: So I hear there's an Unleashed Padme coming. When was Padme ever unleashed in the film?

B: Between Geonosis and Naboo?

Adam
06-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I have a little interest in them.. I'll have to see them before I decide though..

Blah, I hate Mcfarlane's toys. They freakin flimy and cheaply made. The may have detail out the wazoo, but they break soon after play. They are hardly even toys at all.

evenflow
06-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Hasbro just doesn't get it. They just want to make money, but dont realize they could do so if they put out some good stuff instead of stupid things.

RooJay
06-11-2002, 07:05 PM
I think the Jango figure sucks (not necessarily the sculpt, but I don't care much for the design at all), but I'm really diggin' the Darth Maul! I CAN"T WAIT to get my hands on him, and probably Anakin as well! I really hopeful about Mace Windu too. I for one think there is a place, AND a market however small, for these.

DarthBrandon
06-11-2002, 07:16 PM
I can't wait till they come out with the undressed line, then maybe it'll peak my interest. Till then I will not waste a dime on them ever.

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 09:42 PM
McFarlane figures, even the one-pose wonders, have at least a LITTLE articulation.

abell748
06-12-2002, 07:58 AM
Why is this crap not exclusive somewhere and cool stuff like the B-Wing, TIE Bomber, ect... exclusive and hard to get. More people want that kind of stuff instead of a plastic statue.

bigbarada
06-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Funny, I tend to credit McFarlane with destroying the action figure market.

Without McFarlane what would we have? Action figures that are actually compatable with their accessories and have a high level of playability. Oh yeah, we're much better off now!:rolleyes::frus:

Besides I think McFarlane's fifteen minutes are up. It would seem that Kubricks and 12" military lines are ruling the roost now. This makes the Unleashed line "too little, too late." Good job, Hasbro!:dead:

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 02:24 AM
Even McF had originally concerned himself with playability and interaction with vehicles and the playset, wave 1 of Spawn (from then-titled "Todd Toys") had 2 vehicles and a playset, and the figures actually did work with them... of course, it didn't take long to bury that concept. :(

Besides, McF is now mostly about realistic sports figures that don't sell worth a spit in my neck of the woods.