PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II!

Tycho
05-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I love this album. It needs a thread here at SSG having been released during the "off-season."

Bacta Beast
05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Sweeet!!!!!! God I'm glad these forums are back!!!!
Operation Mindcrime the original is a bueatiful piece of art!! I didn't know they were working on a second part!
"I've had enough, and I want out!"
"You can't walk away now...."

Tycho
05-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Yes it's out! Last week Target was cheaper than Wal-Mart ($14) but Target was sold out and I had to have it. I think it came out last Tuesday or the Tuesday before that.

It is so much worth it!

The Ryche is coming to San Diego in October. The whole concert package is something like $400 or more but it is at Humphrey's By The Bay (on San Diego's waterfront in the main civilian port) and you stay in the same resort sweets that the band will be staying in and probably see them at the breakfast being served in the morning. Meanwhile, you're right on the bay and the evening starts with a $100 dinner for you and your girl, wine tasting, etc. overlooking the city lights on the harbor, then a full-on night of heavy metal revenge-violence (Mindcrime II, naturally), and afterwards you're free to go out on the town in the city. You can arrange a limo ride to and from the resort as well (but I question the wisdom of paying for that when I live like 10 minutes from there and won't be drinking before I get to Humphrey's, nor the morning after - and after the breakfast.)

Tickets are available at TicketMaster.com and you can go for just the concert for as little as $50, too. The higher priced packages practically place you on stage with them of course. Pamela Moore is touring as Mary's ghost or something and sings on the album, as does Geoff Tate's wife?! Ronnie James Deo contributes too - though I don't know if he's going to tour with them.

Humphrey's is a little larger than a night club setting, but it's not an arena where you need binoculars like in the old Mindcrime / Empire days.

Tenatively, I'm taking Tiffany, an old high school girlfriend who used to enjoy these kinds of things with me. But I didn't confirm she had an invite yet, as I leave my options with ladies open. But I'm definitely going - and with someone I want to share the romantic waterfront with. Not every girl will appreciate death-frenzy metal (just kidding - it's not THAT intense - there are several tragic love ballads that Moore and Mrs. Tate sing duets with Geoff on) but the main gist of it is that Nikki has been released from custody, presumably it's been 18 years and he's been determined to have paid the price for his crimes and dismissed as mentally handicapped. Only now he's hell-bent on finding Dr. X and killing him for revenge over Mary and everything that happened to him and Dr. X is like Tom DeLay or Karl Rove or someone in the New World Order and The Ryche is suggestive of getting rid of Bush (not by name, but it's crystal clear to me anyway) - and doing so by any means necessary. Nikki's got his guns loaded and goes into action again "Breaking the Silence of the Night! - and the streets are screaming!"

October actually (though such a long way off to me right now) seems like a perfect month for this sort of blood-bath theme, don't you think?

Bacta Beast
05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Ahhhh . . .San Diego. Wich of cause comes from the German word meaning . . .

Tycho
05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Actually, it's funny, but 2 of the girls in my life that I'm attracted to the most are Mexican-German mixed hybrids, 3rd or 4th generation American though.

That's great enough for the German connection to San Diego for me.

Now Queensryche may have German-descended band members and their name sounds like "The Reich," but they are Seattle, Washington based. An American band, that's progressive and liberal enough for me (hardly fascist).

Tycho
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Well the concert is now only 17 days away!

I've been talking to Ryche fans on MySpace who have seen the show.

The band plays Operation Mindcrime I & II all in order - plus several more songs for an encore! Dude this is going to be awesome!

A 3 hour show or longer for sure!

I heard that Ronnie James Deo is singing his part (Dr. X) for the Los Angeles show, but unfortunately won't be down to San Diego. I wonder who will sing his lyrics?

Anyway, everyone says the show is incredible and they play live as well as if they had the chance to remaster everything in a recording studio (true as I've seen them in concert for probably every local tour that came within an hour to 2 hours drive of me).

Dang I can't wait! The ultimate ROCK event!

decadentdave
09-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Wow, what a coicidence. Just the other day I broke out my old Mindcrime CD and played it in the car. I haven't listened to it since High School. I used to love this album. I haven't listened to the Ryche since that one album that came out after Empire. So, they did a sequel to Mindcrime? If it's as good as the first I'm definitely interested to hear it. What I liked about Mindcrime was its very political themes that were very anti-establishment and the idea of a narrative concept album about the socio-political underground and revolution. I hope the characters are all back... Mary and X, the man with cure. That was a brilliant album and after all these years it still holds up.

decadentdave
09-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Just listened to this album and I have to say, Mindcrime it ain't! Tycho, you got me really excited to go back to the Ryche's roots only to be disappointed. Admittedly, I have not listened to the band since Promised Land (pretty much because my taste in music changed over the years) but listening to Geof Tate's vocals is like night and day. He definitely doesn't sound the same as he used to. This album lacks that cinematic narrative that the original OMC had and the foreboding dark conspiratorial overtones and gothicism that made Mindcrime I a masterpiece are non-existent. I'm offended they had the gaul to even label this Mindcrime II (obviously they were trying to appeal to old fans to help them sell another platinum album in name alone). If this was just another album from them then I would give it a fair to average ranking but hardly worthy of praise for a band that used to compose memorable tracks like Breaking the Silence, Eyes of a Stranger, and Suite Sister Mary. Oh well. Time to put my Mindcrime CD back in storage and maybe I'll dig it out when I'm feeling nostagic again in another 15 years.

Tycho
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I just got back from my mini-vacation for this show! It was incredible! The best show I ever saw!

I nearly dropped $1,000 on this whole event and flew my high school girlfriend out to San Diego from Chicago for this one. We had a room in the resort overlooking the stage and I got to watch them play "Hands" and "If I Could Only Change" live twice - as Geoff and Pam performed that one together for their soundcheck and I was almost directly over the stage on my balcony for that!

Tiffany and I stayed right on the waterfront and watched the lights from the boats at night. They had a little putting golf course and a huge pool and jacuzzi area. They had a computer lab at the place too, but my old girlfriend tied up the machine we got to use so she could finish her Master's Degree assignments she's doing so I wasn't able to log on here and post.

But Queensryche played two perfect albums in their entirety. After Mindcrime and Mindcrime II, Empire and Jet City Woman were encores. I completely disagree with Dave about MCII! There's a lot to a story there, and all the characters Mary (as a ghost), Dr. X, and Nikki return - they had actors performing other parts (the Judge, the cops, the mental hopsital care providers, prostitutes, drug dealers, the lawyers - everything going on stage!) I even caught a $100 bill (fake of course) as Geoff emptied a suitcase full of money onto the audience as he couldn't be paid enough to walk away from murdering Dr. X in cold blood, for revenge for everything that happened to him in Mindcrime I.

They had guns on stage and Dr. X coughed up a blood capsule as he was shot "execution style" through the back of the head as Nikki exacted his vengeance. He also shot all the doctors and his jailers at the institution, and went after his lawyers and the prosecutor. The stage was a bloodbath!

You've got to be kidding me if you think Mindcrime II isn't worthy of its title!

I wished I could follow the band around and watch this show again at least once more! This was not a rock concert! This was Queensryche Theater!

They played every song from both Mindcrime I and II, and ran their whole theater act of it for both. It was so perfect!

I even ran into my old friend Jennifer who I recognized in the after-show party that night. She used to live directly across the hall from me in college - not 3 feet from my door. Every guy on our floor had a crush on her, too! Hehe. So we're back in touch again. That all was amazing. Jennifer lent me her car to drive from San Diego nearly to LA when my father was taken in to the hospital just before he died and I would have missed seeing him and saying goodbye. I'd regretted losing touch with her. Funny thing is, she was the one that used to tell me to turn my Queensryche CDs down when they'd come blaring out of my speakers in my dorm room!

decadentdave
10-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Tycho, I'm glad you had a great time. I don't doubt that the concert rocked, but the band just isn't what they used to be 15 years ago. Mindcrime II is NOTHING compared to the original. I've been playing it in my car again and it is a masterpiece of an album but the sequel is completely flacid. Don't believe me? Read the overwhelmingly negative reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Mindcrime-II-Queensr%ffche/dp/B000E1ZBHM/sr=1-1/qid=1160157637/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9474363-9817653?ie=UTF8&s=music

dindae
10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I was excited when I heard "Hands" on the radio and thought maybe I would be excited as Tycho about this album. But I got a copy and listened to it once or twice and was not really moved by any of the other tracks. Maybe I will grow to like it more but it is definately not near the same level as the first.

Tycho
11-04-2006, 03:45 PM
There's a guy with great pictures from the show here:

http://jfindley.smugmug.com/gallery/1996672/1

He seems to be a pro-photographer.

Anyway, I can't stop listening to either Mindcrime CD and I just bought a ticket to the Anaheim show on December 2nd at the House of Blues.

Hopefully, I'll be in good enough health to stay awake, and on my feet, for as long as will be required - then drive home to San Diego that night.

But I plan on even staying up there in Anaheim and partying with the fans after the show. I'll get a hotel if I need to. We'll see how this goes.

It was different for the San Diego concert. I had a room at the waterfront resort right above the stage practically.

This will be a good one-night test of my stamina to see if I can survive Celebration 4 - the only other major "out of town event" I'm thinking about for the near future.

Tycho
11-24-2006, 11:30 PM
http://www.striglsmusicnews.com/podcasts/talkingmetal/index.htm

A heavy metal podcast selection of interviews. Go and download #110 and it's Geoff Tate from Queensryche - and it will make you smile, quite a bit actually.

The guys who do the interview self-aggrandise themselves quite a bit, so after you've downloaded, fast-foward about 27 minutes into the show (you won't be missing anything, they're basically VH-1 / MTV veterans if you need to know) and then you get to the great stuff with Geoff Tate.

They ask him about Chris DeGarmo, Ronnie James Dio, motorcylces, the Mindcrime tour, and even a possible Mindcrime Movie (there is a finished screenplay) and the casting of Axel Rose as Nikki (rumored by Rolling Stone but not denied by Geoff Tate!)

The Revolution's far from over!

Tycho
12-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Well I'm back from the Disneyland concert (House of Blues, Anaheim CA, downtown Disney) and Geoff said it was the last night of their US tour for Mindcrime II in 2006. They were so good and I had a great time, as always with Queensryche. If they decide to play some shows in this style for 2007, I'll definitely go again!

I'll provide more details if anyone's interested. But this is the way you rock and roll!

The political message was blatantly obvious too. What Geoff Tate said about Bush - I can't even post here! Haha! It's the wrong forum to discuss it, but let's just say it violently agrees with me!

Seven years of power,
the corporations claw.
The rich control the government,
the media, the law.
To make some kind of difference,
Everyone should know,
Educate the masses.
Revolution will grow!

Tycho
02-27-2007, 05:06 AM
May 23rd - House of Blues - Disneyland (Anaheim)

Tickets go on sale TODAY.

I don't think this concert will be another Mindcrime show. This will more likely be a jam session of all their other work they didn't have time to play during the 3 hour "opera" that was Mindcrime I & II (best show I ever saw).

I'm not totally thrilled with the House of Blues as a venue (Humphrey's in San Diego was so much nicer! - uh plus having 3rd row helped)

But I might just go and see them again.

To be sure, I'm going to sleep on it.

Tycho
03-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm going to their concert again! May 26th here in San Diego.

It is not likely a Mindcrime theater show with guest singers and all the cast of actors, stage changes etc. - it's just a concert. But Queensryche is always a good time.

Tycho
05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Alright! In 2 more hours here I'll be leaving for yet ANOTHER Queensryche concert.

"It just takes a minute,
and you'll feel no pain.
Gotta make something of your life, boy..."

"So take hold of the flame!"

"Seven years of power,
the corporations clawed.
The rich control the government,
the media, the law.
Gotta make some kind of difference,
everyone must know.
Educate the masses.
REVOLUTION WILL GROW!"

Tonight or tomorrow, their exciting playlist from tonight's limited tour performance will be posted. It won't be Mindcrime, but I though I wanted to start ANOTHER Queensryche thread, I figured those interested would wander in here.

But don't dismiss Mindcrime yet. Last I heard, the motion picture movie was still a go. If I hear more, I'll post it in the "movies - other" forum.

Tycho
05-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Dang that was a great show! My ears are still ringing 6 hours later! I was in THE FRONT row right in front of Mike Stone during almost the whole show (Eddie Jackson came and played in front of us several times) Guitar Hero Gods!!!

Scott went crazy on the drums last night. He was just IN VERY DEEP with his music and he was on his game. Geoff sounded absolutely awesome!

Michael Wilton was incredible! I think that he personally had the greatest night, taking huge parts in many solos. He was at the opposite end of the stage from where we were, but I kept watching him jam. That guy is super talented. They all were just viciously enjoying their stuff.

I couldn't believe the respect paid to RAGE FOR ORDER tonight. I think they've been reading the message boards and know how much their fans love that album. They opened with "The Whisper!" In fact so many of their old songs are going through my head right now!

Listen to Queensryche NOW! (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=38205812&MyToken=39ab4dad-61d8-443b-9a1d-2d3015cce354)

But you could tell the band was really having fun and loved what they were doing. I was probably one of their youngest fans in the audience, looking around at the crowd - and since I was up against the stage barricade, I think they noticed me being there and liked their music inspiring younger fans (but I'm into my 30's now - so I'm not THAT young anymore). But it's fun being that far foreward and interacting with the band. I think Mike Stone looked directly at me a few times and was really glad to see a young fan jamming to his stuff. (I think Stone is about my age anyway, and the other guys in the band are 10 years older). But dang they played good!

OK, check this out:

1) The Whisper (Rage for Order)
2) Damaged (Promised Land)
3) Breaking the Silence (Mindcrime)
4) I'm American (Mindcrime II)
5) Sign of the Times (New Frontier)

OK, and now the order gets a little fuzzy, but it's hard to think when your ears are ringing! The songs below are right, the order is a little bit messed up. I was just going to enjoy a concert not memorize everything. But I've seen them live over all the years since the first Mindcrime and when I was in grade school, and it's amazing how much great material they have to put on a concert with!

6) The Lady Wore Black (Original EP)
7) Another Rainy Night (Empire)
8) I Donít Believe in Love (Mindcrime)
9) Eyes of A Stranger (Mindcrime)
10) When the Rain Comes (Q2K)
11) Bridge (Promised Land)
12) Walk in the Shadows (Rage for Order)
13) Desert Dance (Tribe)
14) The Right Side of My Mind (Q2K)
15) Empire (Empire)
16) Hands (Mindcrime II)
17) Take Hold (The Warning)
18) Jet City Woman (Empire)
19) Silent Lucidity (Empire)

There may have been 2 more songs that I didn't recognize, possibly something brand new, (which sounded great BTW) and I'm sure I'm forgetting more than the song order - though I have a lot of the above numbered right (and a lot numbered wrong).

But the show was so good that I woke up seriously considering seeing if I could still get tickets for tonight in Anaheim and driving up there for another concert! If I come up that way and don't meet the SSG gang at C4, you'll know where I'll probably be at!

Queensryche is the best band EVER!!!

Tycho
07-04-2007, 12:23 AM
The DVD box set of Mindcrime at The Moore (a huge theater in Seattle) came out today and it is awesome! A 2-disc set that is full of surprises and all the actors that were cast for the tour as well as the band - only the week after I saw them the first time (out of 4 times) that tour!

It is extremely political in the beginning, just as you might imagine I'd like it.

I can't post the language or who it is directed against here, but you're familiar with my ingenius insight in the Rancor Pit :D

Queensryche puts that to music with guitars and guns!

Tycho
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm going again!

February 21st in San Diego.

Febrary 24th in Anaheim.

Don Dokken is opening for them. I've seen him live at least twice before and he puts on a good show.

Anyone want to go to the concert with me?

There are LA shows and a Vegas one I'm also contemplating.

El Chuxter
10-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Don Dokken?

Did they have to scour the gutters of America to find him?

Tycho
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
At Michael Wilton's website (www.michaelwilton.com) you can vote for exactly what songs Queensryche will put in their playlist for their 2008 tour!

At MichaelWilton.com you can check out the news for the links to:

1) the e-mail address to send your 10 song requests to

2) the top vote-getters at the moment (helps you pick winners that will win!)

I'm totally on a support-campaign for songs from "The Warning." I went to 4 shows within the past year and saw them perform some "Rage" and "Empire" material, as well as "Promised Land," etc.

But "The Warning" -now available for you to sample on i-Tunes if you need to refresh your memory is a totally under-appreciated concept album that needs to be resurrected!

Winning songs from The Warning at MichaelWilton.com are:

Roads to Madness
NM-156
Take Hold of the Flame (of course)

But

The Warning
EnForce
Sanctuary
Deliverance
Before the Storm
Child of Fire

all need your support.

Other good choices for the likely-to-win group include
SpOOl
Anybody Listening

These are just songs that we haven't gotten to hear live for a long while. I've been to enough QR shows lately - I know. I love everything they do - but I can watch "Walk in the Shadows" on my DVD. It was exciting when they played "The Whisper" and "Killing Words" in the last show I saw them in. So yeah, like a lot of you, I love "Rage."

I just have to campaign for something equally good and different!

"Now I cry: Give me sanctuary!"

Mister Roboto
10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Queensryche is coming out with a new album that all covers. Why? I don't know. One of the songs they cover is "Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd. It was pretty lousy.

Tycho
10-24-2007, 11:37 PM
It seems bands that have nothing better to do, put out cover albums. But Queensryche sells out their shows and Operation Mindcrime II and its DVD did really well for them.

The word is that an all-new songs studio album is aimed for a January 2009 release, but they are touring House of Blues everywhere right now (I'm holding tickets to 3 up-coming shows). So I don't know why they wanted to release a cover album (except to make more money probably).

Incidentally, besides the Pink Floyd song, they are doing U2's "Bullet the Blue Sky." That should be good.

However, in almost all cases, the original work by the creating artist plays the best.

Metallica's version of Bob Seger's "On the Road Again" is darned good though. Actually, when Metallica did covers, possibly all of it was better than the original recordings. I just like James Hetfield's voice and the heavier guitars.

Now Geoff Tate (Queensryche) is my favorite singer, so I might like their cover work a lot more than the next guy, as well. The list of cover songs they are doing are on their website and it's a pretty good list. Their taste is just like mine - small wonder I like them so much. But a cover album is a cover album.

I'm really waiting and anticipating the 2009 release.

Incidentally, at MichaelWilton.com, you can e-mail in your Top 10 Queensryche request list and the most vote-getting songs will comprise their playlist for the 2008 shows. That's really cool as I haven't heard of other bands doing that (though some might). Wilton keeps a running tally updated on his website so you know exactly what is winning and what they're going to play before you buy concert tickets. Pretty cool, eh?

El Chuxter
10-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Def Leppard did a totally lackluster cover album a few years ago, Every song was a bland carbon copy. The funny thing is, they released a Wal-Mart exclusive EP at the same time, which included covers of Tom Petty's "American Girl" and Queen's "Dear Friends" that were a hundred times better than anything on the album. It's weird when stuff like that happens; you wonder what they were thinking.

Tycho
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It''s just over a month from now that I start "touring" with Queensryche again!
(beginning with February shows)

Well I found it: their 2008 fans-vote playlist. Unfortunately, Michael's site said this was last updated November 9th. I don't know if the results still stand. But here's what we've got:

1st Anybody Listening (Empire)
2nd Roads To Madness (Warning)
3nd Eyes Of A Stranger (Mindcrime)
4th Take Hold Of The Flame (Warning)
5th Screaming In Digital (Rage)
6th Walk In The Shadows (Rage)
6th Queen Of The Reich (1st LP)
7th Damaged (Promised Land)
8th NM 156 (Warning)
8th London (Rage)
9th Someone Else (Promised Land)
9th Promised Land (Promised Land)
10th Prophecy (1st LP)
11th Neue Regal (Rage)
12th Gonna Get Close To You (Rage)
13th The Thin Line (Empire)
14th I Dream In Infrared (Rage)
15th The Lady Wore Black (1st LP)
16th SpOOL (Hear in New Frontier)
17th I Don't Believe In Love (Mindcrime)
18th The Killing Words (Rage)
19th No Sanctuary (Warning)
20th Empire (Empire)

Updated Nov 9th 2007*

If this is indeed "the list, " it is awesome!!! So much from Warning and Rage and I'm totally stoked!

Since there are 3 ties, I hope No Sanctuary still makes the cut! All they have to do is play the Top 23 instead, haha.

I'm sure there aren't any objections!

The concert will be more than 20 songs of course - with new stuff they're experimenting with and some cover songs from "Take Cover," no doubt. But these will be cool shows!

The Revolution's Calling!!!

Tycho
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
THIS IS SO COOL. I GOT THIS FROM QUEENSRYCHE ON MYSPACE:

Want to be a part of a guaranteed meet and greet with the band in Chicago to help charity?

If so, buy tickets to our Queensryche Meet & Greet Charity Brunch!

Saturday, February 2nd – 12 noon - Chicago
Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse Banquet Room

Every cent of the net proceeds from this charity brunch will be donated in full to a food bank – Queensryche is collecting no profit on this brunch.

Seating is extremely limited and is going quickly! Everyone at the brunch will have time to spend with the band. We are selling:

9 Tickets at the Geoff Tate Table
9 Tickets at the Eddie Jackson Table
9 Tickets at the Michael Wilton Table
9 Tickets at the Scott Rockenfield Table
9 Tickets at the Mike Stone Table
55 Tickets at nearby dining tables

Each ticket includes a Queensryche memento & goodies.

Menu:

Scrambled Eggs
Bacon & Sausage
Smoked Salmon
Roasted Potatoes
House made Granola Served with Yogurt
Breakfast Pastries, Breads & Jams
Market Fruit
French Toast with Maple Syrup

Gourmet Regular and Decaffeinated Coffee and a selection of Teas

Click to Buy now!: https://www.queensryche.com/shop/

And while you're there - come check out our shows at the House of Blues on Feb. 1st and 2nd!

Click here to buy tickets: http://www.queensryche.com/tour/index.html

Can't wait to see you there!

-Queensryche

--------------------------------------------------------------

They're a progressive band that sings about changing things to make a better America and it's fitting that they do this to benefit the Food Bank.

I hope they continue this program on to the SoCal leg of their tour!

I'm going to go to breakfast with them then!

Tycho
02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I was front row for last night's Queensryche concert and it was awesome!

The playlist was incredible. Half of the songs they promised were actually played. They really let the fans' votes count. And I heard several tunes that I'd never heard played live before in all my years going to their shows!

Rage for Order fans were especially stoked with last night.

Here it is (I didn't remember the exact order they played the set in):

Burning Man (Q2K)
NM 156 (Warning)
Screaming In Digital (Rage)
I'm American (Mindcrime II)
The Hands (Mindcrime II)
Welcome to the Machine (Pink Floyd - Cover)
Bridge (Promised Land)
Another Rainy Night (Empire)
Gonna Get Close To You (Rage)
Last Time In Paris (b-track)
Best I Can (Empire)
Breaking the Silence (Mindcrime)
Anybody Listening (Empire)
Eyes Of A Stranger (Mindcrime)
Someone Else (Promised Land)
The Killing Words (Rage)
Neon Nights (Black Sabbath - cover)
Jet City Woman (Empire)
Empire (Empire)

Everyone posts about Guitar Hero so much though, that it was hard to not see a digital "High Score" sign flashing above Michael Wilton's head. (no there wasn't one actually, but I could imagine it and a plate of Nachos by his side :rolleyes: ) - what this stupid web forum does to me....

Tycho
02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
The show was so awesome (again!) last night!

Haha. I slept until 12:45pm today. What a wild time - at Disneyland no less.

Geoff Tate tripped out when the lights shown on the audience and a ton of people were wearing Mickey Mouse ears at a Queensryche concert!

He took his wife and daughters into the park yesterday too and they loved the new Space Mountain.

There's so much to tell. I'll probably blog it on MySpace.