PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticed how the Clone trooper looks like a ...

Darth Ovori
01-24-2002, 09:23 AM
Cylon droid from Battlestar Galatica... ???

JEDIpartner
01-24-2002, 09:26 AM
Yeah... that and a sad robot puppy... like Cyber Snoopy!!

cjranck
01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
THAT'S IT!!! I couldn't place it before, but I knew I recognized the Clone trooper. It has been a long time since I have seen Battlestar Galactica, but that is a striking similarity. I still think they look pretty cool, though.

InsaneJediGirl
01-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Yep.They sure do look like the Cylon droid from Galatica Ovori.

Jayspawn
01-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Great! And I was hoping for something original. Well I guess the Clonetrooper is the first army builder.

LTBasker
01-24-2002, 04:29 PM
And with the problems of the POTF2 Stormtrooper, pre-posed with a big gun that'll weigh it down. :D

speedermike
01-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, did you ever notice that the Cylons were a riff on the Stormtroopers? Maybe even a little Boba Fett too?

Boba Fett had been designed by the time Battlestar Galactica was in production, and there was a lot of cross over with the design and FX crews.

What comes around, goes around.

I didn't think the Clonetroopers would be original at all. I always thought they would look like Stormtrooper prototypes. Becasue that's what would make sense for the story.

derek
01-24-2002, 11:17 PM
anyone remember the simpsons episode with mark hamil in it? it's the one that had the bi-mon-sci-fi-con where the robots form battlestar galactia beat up the g a y robots from star wars?:crazed:

Darth Ovori
01-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Stormtrooper 1977
White uniform
Stylized gas eye pieces
And dropped breathing intakes by 2 circular caps

Boba Fett 1980
Mixed coloured unifrom
T shape eye sight that leads down whole face

Cylon 1981
Chrome and rubber armour
Linear eye sight with moving red dot
Mouth intake leading to a trianglar shape upwards
Creast on top of head

Clone Trooper 2002
Semi-shape T linear eye sight.
Mouth intake outline moving to a trianglar point upwards
Creast on top of head armour

Looking at it I would say the Cylon were not meant to be Stroomtroopers...

But I did expect Lucas to have came with something more original and closer to a Stormtrooper early version...

JEDIpartner
01-25-2002, 10:50 AM
For historical accuracy...

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA was in production in 1978... :p

Boba Fett was designed around 1978-1979 :happy:

Darth Ovori
01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Cool, supports my case better...

Thanx

JEDIpartner
01-25-2002, 12:31 PM
We older folks remember these dates a little more clearly! ;)

jedi master sal
01-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Although there is a similarity between the cylon and clone trooper, I think the designers were going for a hybrid mandolorian/stormtrooper look. Can't you see the similarities between jango's armor and the clone troopers? and also the same goes for the stormtroopers. Because they look something like the cylons everyone assumes that is what they patterned it after.

I happen to like the look and actually, I think the stormtrooper armor should have come first. The clone armor looks even more futuristic to me than the stormie.

Jargo
01-25-2002, 01:20 PM
YEESH! Now you made me feel like old Methusela. Thanx a bunch JEDIpartnr :rolleyes: :p

Battlebot, stormtrooper, cylon, snoopy, micronaught... any way you look at this thing for influence it still sucks pants big time. UGH! ugly lookin' and clumsy.

"Oh no - it's the clonetroopers attacking again. Run away - run away!"

"Don't worry them guys is so slow and stoopid they just fall over cuz they can't see out the helmet and they have so much heavy armour that they can't move fast. Either that or the gun weighs em down."

"Stroll away - Stroll away....!"

No wonder they decided to let us see the clonetroopers so early. Dumb ideas are always used as spoilers. Like anyone would react the same way about these guys as they did when the stormtroopers first burst onto the Tantive IV. Stormtroopers look cool but these guys don't even look like a decent attempt at a precursor design. Sloppy lazy and just plain bad IMO.

MisterPL
01-25-2002, 03:10 PM
...eagerly awaiting Emperor Jargo's attempts at designing a better clone trooper...

speedermike
01-27-2002, 01:36 AM
Well, Fett made his first appearance in the Holiday Special that aired November of 1978. And since it was a cartoon, he had to have been designed months before that.

But who cares?

It's interesting to see people saying that they don't like the Clonetrooper. This is exactly why Hasbro and Lucasfilm hate having pictures too early.

Sure the Stormtroopers looked awesome in the beginning of ANH, but what would your opinion have been if you had only seen the Kenner figure?

I'm sure once we see the Clonetroopers in action, the opinions will change.

Obi-Don
01-27-2002, 05:33 AM
Stormtroopers and clonetroopers,thier all just canon foder anyways. Might in numbers. Thats why the stormtroopers couldn't shoot straight. Who needs a good shot when there are 1000's of them shooting in your direction.

bigbarada
01-27-2002, 05:49 AM
The design is great....for a cheap Star Wars knock-off film.

This is just proof to me that GL really didn't have a clear vision when he began work on the prequels. Lazy, half-thought out designs. Nowhere near the level of innovation of the original trilogy.

Jargo
01-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Actually I don't base my opinions on just the action figure thank you very much. I base it on as many pictures as I can find and as much detail as I can find in different pictures taken from different angles. I base it on concept art, maquettes, final artwork, production paintings, publicity stills and movie stills. I've been looking at the clonetrooper so long now I can't stop myself from grimacing when I do.

I took a good long hard look at this picture for instance and thought it looked really stupid. I don't like the clonetrooper armour and I never will. it's as simple as that. And i wouldn't have based my opinion of the stormtrooper on just the action figure when it first came out because it was accompanied on the package by a photo of the stormtrooper for comparison purposes. I wasn't satisfied with the vintage stormtrooper ever. I wasn't satidfied with the potf2 stormtrooper figure either. But that's not the issue here. point is, the clonetrooper looks dumb and clumsy. Slow and not at all practical for a soldier.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 12:49 PM
I agree that it looks like a cylon. I also agree with Jedi Master Sal, it also looks like they took part of Jango/Boba Fetts helmet and used that for the basis of the clonetroopers helmet. The white armor isn't that bad, pretty basic. It's the helmet that I think everyone dislikes. It's the puppy dog frown.

Come on now clonetrooper. Turn that frown upside down.:D

MisterPL
01-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The design is great....for a cheap Star Wars knock-off film.

YEAH! And all the Jedi from the prequels look like knock-offs of Ben Kenobi from the Original Trilogy! And don't even get me started about the Tusken Raiders and Jawas! Or the Sith Infiltrator and the TIE Fighters!!! What the heck was George thinking?

Seriously, I'm not reading any better suggestions in this thread, only ****ing and moaning. Had the Clone Troopers appeared first, I'm sure the Design Police would've been shouting, "RIP-OFF!" Why not complain that the Jedi Starfighter looks suspiciously like a mini-Star Destroyer while you're at it?

It's called "continuity." Look it up.

bigbarada
01-28-2002, 01:48 PM
Hmmmm, let's see....

continuity a: uninterrupted connection, succession or union b: uninterrupted duration or continuation without essential change.

By jove, you're right! I love the clonetroopers!:rolleyes:

MisterPL
01-28-2002, 06:23 PM
Still not reading any better ideas... (don't really expect to either).

*yawn*

You don't really have to like the design, just get in line and buy your ticket. If you want to sit there and heckle a Star Wars movie because it's derivitive of itself, well... :crazed: