PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Now Processing - 12" Anakin Skywalker (item #2119)

plasticfetish
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Can't find a thread for this (if there is, then just merge me), but the word from Sideshow is that they'll be "pre-authorizing" for this over the next 72 hours.

:)

JEDIpartner
05-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I got my notice today as well! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Hellboy
05-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Got my message today as well. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Sith Lord 0498
05-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately, they mean 3-5 business days, so it's unlikely that our Anakin figures will be shipping out until at least the end of next week.

Bummer...

mm74md
05-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes, great news. More of my money gone. Ugh, I seriously need some spend management counseling

IG65
05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Yes, great news. More of my money gone. Ugh, I seriously need some spend management counseling

You and me both!

I received my pre-auth notice for Anakin and I can't wait to get him. I bought Luke through the secondary market and I am still waiting to see him.:mad:

Darth Cruel
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
I got the notices for both the Exclusive and regular editions a few days ago...I hope to hear that they have shipped very soon.

Blue2th
05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Received my notice the other day for the Exclusive Anakin, as well as the 1/4 scale Exclusive Grievous. Man am I gonna get hit. I almost cancelled the Grievous, but I fugured if I didn't like him I could get my money back by selling him on eBay, as the Ex. ones are selling ok. Can't wait for Anakin though.

plasticfetish
05-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Just got an e-mail saying that my box shipped today, and it looks like my card took a hit, so... :)

Darth Cruel
05-25-2006, 04:23 AM
And Mine...it appears that the regular version is shipping before the exclusive. Sideshow's 'site shows that my exclusive version order was placed and my regular version is shipping soon...and the email says the regular has shipped.

Darth Cruel
05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
They took money for it at 2:00 this morning and I got it at 2:09 this afternoon...12 hours between paying for it and getting it...gotta be a record.

JEDIpartner
05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
It's so exciting that I think I peed a little!! :D

Darth Cruel
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I guess I am a little over-enthusiastic about these, huh?

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 06:06 PM
You actually received it? Like "in your hands" received it?

plasticfetish
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
They took money for it at 2:00 this morning and I got it at 2:09 this afternoon...12 hours between paying for it and getting it...gotta be a record.It's obviously a short drive from their warehouse to your house. :) So... how is it?

Darth Cruel
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok...quick review...If Jedi Luke Skywalker is a 9.5 out of 10...Anakin breaks the scale. Luke is as good as Luke can get...So is Anakin and Anakin has a hell of a lot more to the figure. I know JT will do a much better review...so I will make this short.

Articulation - Is exactly what we expect from Sideshow. The range of motion CAN be beat...but not by very darn much. The most limiting thing about his range of motion is the boots keeping his feet from bending. Even the robot arm has the double-jointed elbow and the twisting forearm.

Paint App - The best that has been done. The only 2 imperfections I see are that his hair might be a little too dark (and that is not a complaint and not an issue for me) and the lips are such a dark red that they may be brown. The actual application has no noticeable flaws (and as you will notice when you read about the accessories...that had to be tough) and the likeness is great for me...but I would not be the best judge of that as likenesses to the actor are not important to me. I would say this one goes 85% of the way (+ or -) to looking like Hayden C.

Costume - The Jedi robe is a rich dark brown. And a slightly smoother material than Jedi Luke's felty one. And as it is a robe and not a cloak...there is much less room in it. The leather shoulder parts (I have no idea what they are called) are attached to the sash making almost a vest. They are naugahide and have material lining them...this is the same material that is used in the tunic. Unlike Luke...the inner shirt and pants are separate. And made of material similar to Lukes jumpsuit (but brown). The outer tunic is done very nicely and the sleeves are actually long enough (ALMOST too long). The boots are a fairly rigid plastic, but look as good as they should. Very nice detail down to some minor use showing in the form of scratches (no scuffs). There is tread on the bottom of them...how is THAT for detail! The belt is removeable like Luke's, but from the back, not the front. And the detail on the belt is awesome! My one little tiny complaint is that the Jedi food capsules are glued on...OK I'm over that now. The pouches are removeable and will be discussed with the accessories. The lightsaber clip is the disc/slot type and works perfectly.

Accessories - My favorite part...the Jedi Holoprojector stands out immediately in how tiny it is...be careful not to lose it. Don't worry about it popping out of the package as it is held in with a tiny bit of adhesive.The Sideshow photos did not show how in-scale this item is. It is about the size of Abe's head on a penny...actually, slightly smaller. The detail is unbeatable in each of the holoprojector, aquabreather, and communicator. The aquabreather is actually too large to fit into any of the pouches except with the very slightest of bending it...not to worry, though it is flexible enough to not be damaged by this. The pouches open (as we know) two by hinges and one by a flap. They are removeable from the belt (which will make placing them where you want them easy). The mechanical arm has such great detail that I refuse to believe that General Grievous is not possible. The pose of the fingers will limit the use of the mechanical arm to a pose showing the horror of a man transforming into a machine...great accessory! The spare left hand is fairly standard...and, of course, well done. The lightsabers are better than Lukes...they have no D-rings. That by itself is enough to make them better. The normal style of this lightsaber also gives me a little more confidence that I will not break it with nothing more than a weighty gaze. The blade of the ignited one has a very eye-friendly opaque sky-blue blade.

One of the things I like to do is remove the entire outfit of the figure and place it back on carefully so that it looks as good as possible. There will be a lot to do on this one and I am looking forward to it.

I will add a few pics within a few minutes.

By the way...PlasticFetish - about 75 miles (+ or-).

plasticfetish
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Mmmm... really cool! You should go ahead and repost your review in the review section BTW. Might as well start a thread there. (I'll go setup a thread.)

I can't wait to get mine... and to shoot some photos. I get to play around with it for a bit, but then I have to hide it away... it's gonna be my Anakin obsessed son's B-day present this year. :)

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I know JT will do a much better review...so I will make this short.Better make it longer, JT won't be doing a much better review, because JT didn't order this figure. :p (I got the SDCC version instead, the likeness works better for that evil makeup.)

evenflow
05-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Still waiting for confirmation that mine shipped. i can't wait for it though.

Darth Cruel
05-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Mmmm... really cool! You should go ahead and repost your review in the review section BTW. Might as well start a thread there. (I'll go setup a thread.)

I can't wait to get mine... and to shoot some photos. I get to play around with it for a bit, but then I have to hide it away... it's gonna be my Anakin obsessed son's B-day present this year. :)

A few notes...

1) I don't know what I was thinking...I will ask that the mods move the review post.

2) For some reason...every time I try to upload the pics...my computer freezes, so I will try to put some in a new post on the review thread. I am not sure it will work...I tried to send some to a buddy as well and the same thing happened.

plasticfetish
05-26-2006, 04:30 PM
No big deal.

...and you can always e-mail me the photos and I'll post them. ;)

plasticfetish@comcast.net

Reefer Shark
05-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I got my regular Anakin from my local comic shop today (he got his shipment in on Wednesday). He charged my about $50 for it, pretty sweet deal! Looks great in the package, I haven't opened him yet though..

BlueSnags
05-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Got a shipping mail tonight - looks like Exclusive Anakin will be here tomorrow!! Rejoice.

plasticfetish
05-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Got my box this morning! Hope to open it up some time tonight. :)

plasticfetish
05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Just put about 3 dozen photos in the Database. Go check 'em out >> here (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4597).

Darth Cruel
05-28-2006, 11:49 PM
And mine to...thanks PF!

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 12:15 AM
That's cool, Anakin comes with a Candle and holder. lol

I guess I will get mine next week. Why in the hell are his sleeves so long?
So is they any complains? Its seems to me that SS is still trying to get the hang of things. They don't quite have it yet do they. I'm thinking they need to come up with a new body and have a full time person or staff in China over seeing whats going on. The paint apps need to be better from the look of things. Don't get me wrong they look great, but they could look better for 60 bucks.

Darth Cruel
05-29-2006, 12:22 AM
LOL Turb...for just a minute I didn't know what you meant. I have been trying to figure out why I left that in there since I looked at the pics.

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
LOL Turb...for just a minute I didn't know what you meant. I have been trying to figure out why I left that in there since I looked at the pics.Ambiance maybe?

plasticfetish
05-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Why in the hell are his sleeves so long? So is they any complains? Its seems to me that SS is still trying to get the hang of things. They don't quite have it yet do they. I'm thinking they need to come up with a new body and have a full time person or staff in China over seeing whats going on. The paint apps need to be better from the look of things. Don't get me wrong they look great, but they could look better for 60 bucks.The sleeves are long, but as you can see from my pics, all it takes is a little adjusting and you can get it to look pretty good. Just the same, I'm not exactly sure why the right sleeve is as long as it is. Paint's another issue. Aside from the lips, I think it's pretty good. There's an interview over at RS with someone from SS and they comment on how the lip color is wrong also. I can only imagine what a pain in the *** it is dealing with these factories in China. They show you one thing early on, and then you're at their mercy when it comes to what they end up shipping months later.

I was a pretty big skeptic when it came to this line, being mostly critical of the price, but after getting a chance to play around with this figure, I'm really impressed. I still wish distribution was different, but now that I know it's not impossible to find these at retail (comic shops, etc.), I'm a little less uptight about that.

Reefer Shark
05-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Awesome pictures PF and DC, thanks! :thumbsup:

I thought I'd throw out a couple pics of the pose I have mine in. It really is a great figure, but I agree with everyone on the lipstick deal. Way too much color there, they should've toned it down a bit I think. That, and the fact that the robotic arm falls out very easily (like Darth Cruel mentioned) are the only negatives I can come up with. Everything else is just about perfect!

So here's my 2 pics, along with a few I just took of Sideshow Luke with Hasbro's Endor poncho and helmet (I was just curious what it would look like..). It actually fits, although it looks a bit bulky with the helmet on. What do you guys think? He looks nice on the speeder like this!:

plasticfetish
05-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Wow. The Endor gear works really well. It'd be cool if Sideshow would put out just the outfits, I'd pay $20 or $25 for something like that.

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah the endor gear does look good.

Damn, Anakin looks like he got into Padme's makeup and went to town.:yes:

JediTricks
05-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Hey PF, think you could get us a shot of Luke & Anakin together for scale comparison? I'm very curious about how Anakin stacks up here, the figure by itself looks stocky (probably from the outfit's bulk) which makes it seem not as tall as it should be.

Yeah, the lipstick, eyebrows, and eye pencil look a bit much. I hope the SDCC paint job looks better.

The holoprojector looks really really small, like half of the size it should be.

The robe looks like the wrong shape and color from what was in the movie.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
the likeness isn't as horrible as Luke's but still very poor.

JediTricks
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
the likeness isn't as horrible as Luke's but still very poor.
Is that your new thing Caes, being as arbitrary as possible? :p

2-1B
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
No, my "new thing" is being creeped out by figures (Luke) who remind me of mugshots I've seen on my state's sex offender web registry. :(

JediTricks
05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Well if it bothers you so much, you should petition the DA to have your likeness removed from the site. :D ;)

plasticfetish
05-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey PF, think you could get us a shot of Luke & Anakin together for scale comparison?You'd have to buy me a Luke first? ;)

I think you're right about the outfit making it look more stocky, but I felt that the Luke figure looked too thin because of the same thing (in reverse.)

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Somewhere on the web there's a shot of Anakin and Luke side by side and Luke is shorter.

Darth Cruel
05-29-2006, 11:36 PM
One comparison shot as requested.

I forgot I had another shot of them side-by-side. I was going to add a caption and post it. The caption was going to say:

Anakin: "Little short for a Jedi, aren't you?"

Luke: "Shut up, Dad!"

It lost it's effect this way.

plasticfetish
05-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, he really is shorter. I didn't expect it to be that much... how weird.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the comparison photo DC. Seems like Anakin isn't quite tall enough for the movie character's height in comparison to Luke's 5'9" height, but Hayden's 6'2" seems to be a better number to represent this SSC figure.

mm74md
05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Anyone on the east coast get their's yet? Or even have the card charged? Getting very anxious!

Turbowars
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Funny how bad those two look in that pic. They look like Hasbro's. Luke look especially bad.

jedi_riccan
05-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I am bummed on this one. I am still on the wait list for it, and don't see myself getting off of it either....

Turbowars
06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Got my exclusive Anakin today. Notice I had to rub in the fact that I have the SideShowCollectable's Exclusive Anakin Skywalker?

Anyways If you liked Luke, you will Love Anakin! I'm more than happy with this figure. His clothing is unbelievable. His cloak hangs perfectly his belt is looks real and he has a bunch of boxes that I didn't know he had on him.

The paint app on his face look awesome and the color of his lips looks right to me. The only problem is the joint on his right arm. SS should had made a better post, but it really isn't a problem once you get the pose you want. The exclusive Holo figure is lame, so all you guys that didn't get it, relax it's nothing to get excited about. So far I give Anakin a A- and Luke now gets a B+.

The pics on the net do not do Anakin Justice. All you guys that are going off what the nets shows and are skipping these SSC figures are missing out. I just hope I can continue affording them.

Darth Cruel
06-01-2006, 03:12 AM
I highly suggest that any of you, like me...who ordered extra of these to keep MIP...don't. I found, well after anything could be done about it, that the upper part of the joint on the elbow of my Luke Jedi figure are glued solid on both arms. And they will NOT replace it after the 30 days. They claim that this specific problem has been addressed...but it seems to me that Anakin's production was completed (or close to it) by the time Luke shipped. And down the road if you sell them or want to open them for any reason...you will be SOL.

Darth Cruel
06-01-2006, 08:52 PM
The Anakin that I bought to be MIP (the exclusive version) has finally been shipped. I will be opening it to determine that it does not have the same malfunction as the Luke Jedi that I got. At this point, I have no faith in Sideshow due to the ridiculous number of problems I had with the two Jedi Lukes regardless of the fact that my regular edition Anakin APPEARS to be in good shape.

dr_evazan22
06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I had to look this thread up... Today I got my notice for Kit Fisto, as reported by others in another thread, but I've still yet to receive a notice for Ani. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and ask about it.

jedi_riccan
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
A good friend of mine hooked me up with his Anakin exclusive :thumbsup: . I opened it and it's perfect. Glad I have good friends who hook me up....

Darth Cruel
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I am glad you were able to get one! These things are too awesome!

dr_evazan22
07-16-2006, 02:17 PM
You might like this...

I recently called SS to inquire about my 12" Ani, explaining that I've already gotten notice about Kit Fisto. She asks me for my order number, so I look it up and... I was never able to place an order for that one! lol Duh!

I had only been able to get on a wait list for Sith Ani. She told me to get on the wait list for the Jedi Ani in case something opens up. :crosses fingers:

Darth Cruel
07-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I am sorry to hear that Dr. E. I hope the wait list pays off for you.