PDA

View Full Version : The DaVinci Code

Tycho
05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Great film! I just saw it. A tad predictable (the ending's not really a spoiler but I won't post it here this early anyway) - but if you haven't already read the book, you'll figure this thing out before it's even half-way through.

Meanwhile, the girl in the film is hot! (had to add that I love the French and their fries).

I'm not sure what all the controversy would be except that people take their religion way too seriously.

Overall, the movie leaves you wondering about questions concerning Jesus Christ's divinity - not flat out denying it. Also, it refers to Mary Magdalene as from royal lineage, not a prostitute as the Catholic Church might uphold. And it gives reasons for why the cover-up. Misogynism is the key. Believing Catholics or those who'd enjoy a good movie with an open-mind would like this movie. Those totally devoted to the church and caught up in the Papal hierarchy might find it offensive - but their point of view is portrayed (by a psycho-killer who self-flogs himself and wears pain garters :rolleyes: but who allows his victims to pray before he kills them. He reminds me of Malcolm McDowell for some reason.

A point of discussion about the film that is not really a spoiler was whether Mary Magdalene was already pregnant with Jesus' child when he was crucified.

Anyway, at the end, just when you expect another shoot-out and chase sequence, things peacefully resolve themselves.

Phantom-like Menace
05-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm hoping to see this movie. I read the book and thought it was okay, nothing to make such a fuss about but something to do during downtime at work. Of course, I've always been fascinated by the Gnostics, the apocrypha, and Mary Magdalene's place in the Bible, so it's pretty much going to appeal to me on some level.

UKWildcat
05-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I actually haven't heard many good things about this movie. Most all of the reviews I have read have been pretty bad. I have not seen the movie nor read the book but I will go in watching the film being very pessimistic. I know Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/) has bashed the heck out of it so far. Of course I will form my own opinion when I see it on dvd.

Rocketboy
05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Someone owes me 2 1/2 hours of my life.
This was easily one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.

Tycho
05-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Boring?

There was a psychotic killer, a cult following, car chases, gun shooting, and a sexy girl - if not for Tom Hanks beginning to be an old fart, it made it out to be like James Bond with a point to it all.

I was pleasantly surprised that it had some action (I did not read the book).

I was expecting more of an expose drama (which would not have disappointed me either), but this was a refreshing change. The Passion of the Christ didn't even have horse chases. (But Mel Gibson looks to have been consulted for the self-flogging scenes that were done in a way very reminiscient of masturbation actually).

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm happy they got Jean Reno to play Fache. The entire time I was reading that book I pictured Reno when I pictured that character in my head.

Tycho
05-20-2006, 03:28 AM
He was good and portrayed his character's obsession pretty well.

Beast
05-20-2006, 10:25 AM
People afflicted with Albinism arn't all that happy with the film either.

Also, while not planning a protest or boycott, members of the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation expressed unhappiness with the film's heavy, a monk-assassin, being an albino, as described in the book.

Michael McGowan, an albino who heads the organization, said "The Da Vinci Code" will be the 68th movie since 1960 to feature an evil albino.

The "Da Vinci" character "is just the latest in a long string," McGowan said. "The problem is there has been no balance. There are no realistic, sympathetic or heroic characters with albinism that you can find in movies or popular culture."

He said the group aims to use the movie's popularity to raise awareness about the realities of albinism. People with albinism have little or no pigmentation in their skin, eyes and hair.

Tycho
05-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I know Halle Berry is African-American, but isn't "Storm" in X-men kind of Albino? Well, she has the white hair. So I'd say that counts for something, though of course she's not a True-Albino.

I'd say it also has to do with:

1) Albinos are more rare
2) They must go into acting, and have proven talent, to get roles
3) Roles between good and evil characters come up naturally - it's luck of the draw
4)Established actors like James Marstens (Spike on Buffy) might be made to look sort of Albino (I know he was an evil character) but though he's not a True-Albino, he has the talent (I know from Smallville), and it helps if someone who can pull the role required of them is cast in the first place.

Rocketboy
05-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Boring?Extremely.

There was a psychotic killer, a cult following, car chases, gun shooting, and a sexy girl - if not for Tom Hanks beginning to be an old fart, it made it out to be like James Bond with a point to it all.And I've seen better of each in bad made for tv movies.

Tom Hanks was especially bad. His performance was really disappointing, especially when compared to stuff like Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, and Apollo 13. Sadly, his mullet was the best part.

Beast
05-20-2006, 12:56 PM
I know Halle Berry is African-American, but isn't "Storm" in X-men kind of Albino? Well, she has the white hair. So I'd say that counts for something, though of course she's not a True-Albino.
No. Storm's striking and rather unique appearance was supposed to suggest that she was a true decendant of the Proto-Human. Her features were meant to encorporate many ethnic appearances into one beautiful exotic look. As for the white hair, it was stated as being due to her unique bloodline, which was tied to sorcery. Many of her female ancestors had the same appearance, as was shown in the comics.

Slicker
05-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Sadly, his mullet was the best part.And sadly that's about the only thing I've heard about this movie is Hanks hair looking ridiculous.

I'm going to see it tonight so I'll give my expert opinion when I get back.

General_Grievous
05-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Someone owes me 2 1/2 hours of my life.
This was easily one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.

Agreed. AGREED!!!

SPOILERS AHEAD

The only good thing about this movie was Ian McKellen, who owns practically every movie he's in. But Tom Hanks was miscast in this role. And I think that the quest for the Holy Grail was done earlier and better in both "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". And I hated the fact that it spent two and a half hours only leading up to the fact that the girl was the last descendant of Christ. That's it? That's what everyone was up in arms about? The fact that the book and film depicts that Jesus may have had a child with Mary Magdalene? It's fiction, and pretty lame fiction at that. In fact, didn't the film Dogma (with Jay and Silent Bob) also center around a woman who was a descendant of Jesus? I guess that was the Da Vinci Code. A series of clues that lead up to the girl discovering that she is a descendant of Jesus Christ. And that the Holy Grail isn't a cup, but Mary Magdalene's tomb, buried in the Luvre. All this took two and a half hours to explain but it could have easily fit into an hour and 45 minutes. But it is boring. There are very few action moments. It's all mystery. As I said before, the quest for religious artifacts was done better in Indiana Jones. Let Tom Hanks stay with his great movies like Forrest Gump and leave it at that.

Tycho
05-20-2006, 05:35 PM
She wasn't the LAST descendant of Christ. It seems her grandmother was still alive AND she could always have children.

The suggestion was that Christ was mortal, or at least lived as a human would, and thus be driven to sexually reproduce, as had his bloodline for 2006 years (or about 66 generations....hehehe "Order 66.")

The movie leaves it up to the viewer to determine whether Christ was divine and was resurrected after the crucifixion. But while he walked the earth as a man, he behaved like one. If Mary Magdalene was royalty, Christ's wife, or a prostitute (and still possibly Christ's mate), every viewer can decide for themselves.

JimJamBonds
05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
This movie was a big old stinky turd. Very few highlights imo, plenty of 'what was the point of that' moments. You could see things were going to happen a mile away... what Sophie is a decendent of Christ?!? Didn't see that one coming at all. What was up with all of those "Beautiful Mind" type moments???

Man did that movie suck....Dogma was much better.

Slicker
05-21-2006, 01:26 AM
I guess I'm forced to side with Tycho and say I liked the movie. I will however let it be known that I HAVEN'T read the book yet so I went into this movie with a completely clean slate. It reminded me ALOT of National Treasure but I liked this movie for some reason. I'm into these find the clue, follow it to another, then you get the ultimate goal (probably why I liked National Treasure) movies so this fit right in.

I'm gonna read the book soon when I borrow it so it'll probably ruin the movie for me but MEH!!!

Disclaimer: This was typed by an individual that also liked "Bore of the Worlds" and "King Long".;)

2-1B
05-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Christ, that was a great movie ! :crazed:

Nah, not great but not as horribly Gigli-riffic as some critics and now audience members seem to be labelling it. :laugh:

I don't know why some religious folks are getting worked up over the book/movie, I mean it's obviously pretty much a work of fiction CONSIDERING that the same book the zealots are defending is largely fictitious itself. :rolleyes: Anyway, not to get too R&P or "mumbojumbo"-y (see the sig line :D ) but I'm sorry, when I read in the paper about our small city's theater being targeted by local evangelicals handing out pamphlets to people leaving the cinema - well, enough already. :rolleyes:

What was up with all of those "Beautiful Mind" type moments???

In what sense, the sense that it had the same director and costar ? lol

It reminded me ALOT of National Treasure but I liked this movie for some reason.

I had the same exact thought. :) NatTreas was a movie I expected to be a joke but it ended up being entertaining when I saw it...nothing great but it was fun. That's how I felt about Da Vinci Code. :)

Disclaimer: This was typed by an individual that also liked "Bore of the Worlds" and "King Long".;)

Hey, I found some mild entertainment in Gigli (I even saw it in the theater :) ) so I'm not one to talk. :)
I do, however, find Bore of the Worlds to be much, much, much worse than Gigli. Kong, on the other hand, is better than Gigli by far. Still too Long of a movie but a better picture, for sure. :grin:

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2006, 03:01 AM
Isn't complaining about a lack of action in The Da Vinci Code like complaining about a lack of comedy in Schindler's List?

Tycho
05-21-2006, 03:09 AM
There was actually comedy in Schindler's List:

Schindler interviewing his secretaries...
Goertz pardoning the kid who dropped his horse's saddle
The one-armed, old Jewish man who said he was an essential worker (sad what fate had in store for him though)

But people's humor was instrumental in saving them from some of the attrocities of the holocaust.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2006, 03:40 AM
How did Ron use his brother in this film?

2-1B
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I was looking for Clint but I didn't notice him, Jaymz. Nor did I notice Rance...I wonder if either of them are in it ? :confused: Maybe Clint was off doing Skeeter 2, Ice Cream Man 2, or House of the Dead 3 ? :D

Sounds like a challenge for Da IMDb Code. ;)

:crazed:

JimJamBonds
05-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
What was up with all of those "Beautiful Mind" type moments???

In what sense, the sense that it had the same director and costar ? lol

When THanks is working on the anagram and he can see all of the letters as it is written, he then pulls out the correct order of the letters thus showing the true message. Also towards the end when THanks is picturing Isaac Newton's grave it had a Beautiful Mind like feel to it.

According to IMDB Clint Howard wasn't in The DaVinci Code.

starwarsfan1
05-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Im probably going to see the movie tonight. I read the book and absolutely loved it. I do agree that they should have gotten someone better to play Robert Langdon. Tom Hanks does not fit the role. And to all the Davinci haters out there a.k.a tight a** Christian's GET A GRIP!!!!!! You're cheating yourselves out of a good read.

Banthaholic
05-21-2006, 05:03 PM
And to all the Davinci haters out there a.k.a tight a** Christian's GET A GRIP!!!!!! You're cheating yourselves out of a good read.
Yikes...

Anyways, I saw the movie last night. Wasn't sure what I was going to think. I haven't read the book and avoided mos discussion of it to not spoil my theatrical experience. I liked the Indiana Jones/National Treasure sort of feel of the treasure hunt. Without getting to religious. I enjoyed these sorts of movies as fictional works and I think that is an important distinction. I guess in Indiana Jones some of the religious aspects were so unreal (ie the end of raiders or in the Last Crusdae where they drank out of the wrong chalice). Though in this movie the time period is set to today so people equate more realism into some of the ideas.

JON9000
05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
And I hated the fact that it spent two and a half hours only leading up to the fact that the girl was the last descendant of Christ. That's it? That's what everyone was up in arms about? The fact that the book and film depicts that Jesus may have had a child with Mary Magdalene? It's fiction, and pretty lame fiction at that.

The problem isn't that the MacGuffin is a secret, the problem is that there is almost zero character development. In almost every story, the MacGuffin sets the story in motion, but over time it is the characters who should take center stage. Think of R2 and the stolen data tapes. In TDVC, the characters don't really have arcs, they simply run from one place to the other chasing down clues. Brown's book would be entirely overlooked had it not been for the incendiary subject matter.

Why does the church consider this movie a threat?

Because it points out that faith requires several blind leaps, not one. 1, you have to accept some sort of divine Christ. 2, you have to accept that some of the canonical authors who never even met Christ were divinely inspired (Paul). And if you buy all that, then 3, you have to also accept that the church fathers were divinely inspired when they chose the canonical texts (those fit for inclusion in the Bible) from the various sources available, rather than working from an agenda to solidify their own power base.

I think the church is upset because they believe it will cause people to take a broader view of religion and try to look upon it with a historian's eye, rather than get caught up in the mystery the church surrounds it with. Most of all, it may get people thinking that the early church fathers were not divinely inspired and they cynically used a carpenter from Galilee to subdue women and their role in the world. The big problem is that while this may not be true, the church has pretty much set itself up for the criticism, and has by it actions over the centuries more than sowed the seeds of doubt.

scruffziller
05-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I loved the info displayed in the movie, but the movie itself was slow moving and dry. I myself, as a Christian/other, find that this information(if true) does not change my belief in Jesus whatsoever. I have found that Christians (of all sects) base this information to be blasphemous on the fact that if Jesus had sex, he committed sin. This is totally absurd to me. However, what does it mean if Jesus has descendants walking the face of the Earth?
Do they fit into the grand scheme somehow? Perhaps the descendant of Christ will be the Anti-Christ?:Ponder: We could be missing out on something if the truth is not told. Or, if Jesus was just a man, then I am fine with that too. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Tycho
05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Like I said, (and I'm not too religious or faithful), even if Jesus was divine and died for our sins somehow, he lived as a man, so why wouldn't he help conceive children as a man? But the story was pure fiction.

A better topic would be inside a scandal to take him off the cross before he died, or for the Roman Empire to perpetuate the myth of his resurrection to disrupt unity in their Jewish subjects and use Christ's teachings of pacifism to help the Romans control their subjects. Meanwhile, Paul would be exposed as a homosexual who profitted off tithing that was intended to benefit the early church. At the same time, the organizing hierarchy could use religion to subjegate the Pagan women that Christianity was spread to, and Mary Magdalene could have been revised from Princess to Prostitute as in DaVinci Code.

Some segment of the film could devote itself to a contemporary look at feminism gaining power and modern homosexual persecution being hypocritical yet bringing the mindless to vote to elect the corrupt Bush Regime in America.

DaVinci was tame compared to how I'd have handled a movie on the subject matter.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-30-2006, 01:17 AM
I enjoyed the film. I've not seen National Treasure, but I imagine I'd like that one too. While there was certainly not the adventure/excitement of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there was still a fair amount in this film. I like the puzzle aspect of it, with all the hidden clues and such. Maybe it is because I was a math major.

If you are confused about why people are upset about the movie, then you must not have been watching the movie. It was explained right there on the screen why those in the church would want something like this silenced. However, I prefer to look at it more from the perspective that was presented in the film. If you truly have faith, then something like this needn't shake it. In fact, even if the claim that Jesus had a child is true, that could help bring more hope and faith to the world rather than destroy faith. I tend to be agnostic, but feel like there must be something. I find myself almost wishing a story like this one could be true. Maybe that indicates a lack of faith in established religious institutions, and a hope that one day we can all reach some higher spiritual level.

Tonight I just watched "Behind The DaVinci Code" on the History Channel. It reminded me of something I had seen in another show on the History Channel recently about Masons. It mentioned how the Knights Templar were hunted down and wiped out. Sounded a lot like Order 66.

JimJamBonds
05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I saw the Da Vinci Code with two friends and all three of us would like our money back. The one thing that I didn't realise until thinking about it the day after seeing the film none of us brought up ANYTHING to do with Christ having a wife and child etc. The couple I saw it with are much more religious then I and even they couldn't get past the bad acting etc. They took it to be what it is... fiction.

BanthaPoodoo
05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm happy they got Jean Reno to play Fache. The entire time I was reading that book I pictured Reno when I pictured that character in my head.

Latest issue of either Maxim or Stuff has an interview with Jean Reno... he says that the author wrote that part specifically for him just in case it was made into a movie....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Some DVD info for the November 14th release:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced The Da Vinci Code which stars Tom Hanks, Audrey Tatou, and Ian McKellen. The film will be available as a two-disc set from the 14th November this year. Retail should be around $29.96. Extras will include a First Day on Set with Ron Howard featurette, a Conversation with Dan Brown, a Magical Places featurette which looks at the film locations, another featurette on how Tom Hanks became Robert Langdon, and another on the casting of Audrey Tatou. Completing the package will be a Codes of the Da Vinci Code feature that uncovers the hidden symbols in the film, a two-part The Filmmaking Experience featurette, a demo of ”The Da Vinci Code” PC Game from Sony Pictures Games, and preview trailers. A giftset will also be available from the 14th, priced at $80.95. This includes a reproduction of Langdon's journal, and an authentic working replica of the cryptex.

The gift set should look a lot like the Japanese box set. I included a picture from DVD active.

Needless to say, that gift box will be mine. :crazed:

Rocketboy
09-05-2006, 01:47 PM
another featurette on how Tom Hanks became Robert LangdonIt'll show him growing a mullet and forgetting how to act?

General_Grievous
09-06-2006, 12:10 AM
It'll show him growing a mullet and forgetting how to act?

Good one. :D