PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Kidhuman started a thread on SWC's forums about having found his house, and now I have been touring the planet on Google Maps. Captainsolo1138 posted a picture of the USS Arizona memorial and suggested we post pictures of cool things we've found.

What would be the best way to capture pictures? I'm a computer 'tard, so I don't know, but I've checked out a number of cool things in the past two days including numerous world monuments and points of interest. The only one that proved to be a real bear was finding the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, but I eventually did.

Slicker
05-20-2006, 04:20 AM
The easiest way to do a screen capture is as follows:

Find the "Prt Scrn" button on your keyboard. Press Ctrl+Prt Scrn and that'll capture your screen. Then go to paint and click "edit" and scroll down to "paste" and that should do it.

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 06:42 AM
In that case. I present, the Hagia Sophia:

http://home.comcast.net/~fmkeith/untitled.JPG

And a carrier in the port of Toulon, the Charles De Gaulle I imagine.

http://home.comcast.net/~fmkeith/carrier.JPG

Kidhuman
05-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Here is the picture of my hiuse and one of the Electric Factory in Philly in which I was at a concert last Saturday.

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Let's see if I can swing this attachment stuff. In theory, this will be an aerial view of my apartment building.

Edit: Oh, yes, the little red dot is roughly where I am sitting right now. And I looked at Philly just last night. I was looking at an aircraft carrier in the NISMF. I hope the FBI doesn't come looking for me, because I also checked out Norfolk, Mayport, Pearl Harbor, Yokosuka, and San Diego.

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Google maps kick arse

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2006, 03:52 AM
I may have to tweak the file size, but I finally found the Great Pyramids.

Jargo
05-21-2006, 01:08 PM
They don't look so great these days. Too many daytrippers wearing away the rock

LusiferSam
05-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's where I make my abode. The image is a couple years old as the roof is different now. It's been cropped so you don't see the neighbors and to make it small enough to be uploaded here.

Slicker
05-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I may have to tweak the file size, but I finally found the Great Pyramids.It's amazing how close the city is to these pyramids. Pretty soon they'll be incorporated right into it.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 03:46 PM
It's amazing how close the city is to these pyramids. Pretty soon they'll be incorporated right into it.
There's a KFC and Pizza Hut right next to the great pyramid, that really bothered me.

UKWildcat
05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
When I zoom in to try and view my house I get an error saying "We are sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region". :mad:

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Same thing I get for our home here UK. I guess no one cares about Va.

bobafrett
05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
My house that I currently live in, surrounded by businesses.

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Say what you will about it, I still swear by it: my local Toys "R" Us with a red dot where the action figures can be found.

bobafrett
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Say what you will about it, I still swear by it: my local Toys "R" Us with a red dot where the action figures can be found.

Every man should know where his action figures can be located!

Phantom-like Menace
05-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Every man should know where his action figures can be located!

Damn right!

Slicker
05-22-2006, 07:12 AM
There's a KFC and Pizza Hut right next to the great pyramid, that really bothered me.A KenTacoHut next to the GREAT Pyramids? That's gotta be sacregilous.:whip:

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 03:44 PM
A KenTacoHut next to the GREAT Pyramids? That's gotta be sacregilous.:whip: Yeah, totally! They're right there too in a 2-story mini-mall, right across the street, you could throw a baseball from the pyramid and hit the Pizza Hut. It even says "Great Pyramid" for the location on the KFC receipt, soooo tacky.

Frett, your image had your address still readable, so I fixed that.

jedi master sal
05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
My place is on the right, my fiancee's sister lives at the left. Dots represent our specific apartments.

I like the 3d views. Sometimes you can get a really cool shot. Check out Vegas sometime. With all of the hotels it's fun to look at. NY is cool too, if you don't get lost in the buildings.

-Sal

Slicker
05-22-2006, 04:57 PM
My house that I currently live in, surrounded by businesses.Are you holdin' out until one of 'em offers you millions for the house?

I know I would...

bobafrett
05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Frett, your image had your address still readable, so I fixed that.

Thanks JT!

My place is on the right, my fiancee's sister lives at the left. Dots represent our specific apartments

Or are you making Homer Simpson eyes or cartoon breasts?

Are you holdin' out until one of 'em offers you millions for the house?

I know I would...

I rent. The person who owns the house I live in, owns the business to either side, plus one other business around the corner, and the house next to that, The land is listed as one huge plot worth millions. That's the price of real estate in this town!

Slicker
05-23-2006, 04:55 AM
I rent. The person who owns the house I live in, owns the business to either side, plus one other business around the corner, and the house next to that, The land is listed as one huge plot worth millions. That's the price of real estate in this town!I hear that. Real estate is ridiculous in Virginia Beach too...especially around the base. They regularly sell 1,000 sq. ft. homes for $250,000. It's friggin' crazy.:crazed:

jedi master sal
05-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Or are you making Homer Simpson eyes or cartoon breasts?

Pick one...heh heh

Hadn't really thought of that. I used photoshop and can make crisp circles and was following the pattern set by others to put a dot too. Dunno, maybe it was a subconcious thing.

I noticed you didn't say "Target" though...looking back on it, I could have seen that conclusion first, heh heh.

bobafrett
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I noticed you didn't say "Target" though...looking back on it, I could have seen that conclusion first, heh heh.

Well, I work for Wal-Mart so I can't say I have any knowledge of this "Target" for which you speak.

Also, I am just a dirty old man after all, so anything that looks like it might be breasts, becomes so to me.

Phantom-like Menace
05-26-2006, 02:23 AM
This is the Liberty Grand Building in Toronto. Among other geek things, I loved Wonderfalls (and not coincidently hate Fox, which clearly hates geeks, so the feeling is mutual), and this is the building that interior shots of the gift shop were filmed in.

Phantom-like Menace
09-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Google Maps has seen fit to give higher resolution pics of Kwajalein Island, so I figured I would quickly post a picture of where I lived on the island about eighteen years ago. Prior to these newer pics, the best I saw barely allowed you to discern Kwajalein Atoll from all of the other atolls. The standard red dot shows where I lived.

I was really hoping the resolution and water would be clear enough to make out the outline of the Prinz Eugen, which is sunk off the shore. I suppose it is possible to see it (though it's not in the attached picture), but I was only eleven eighteen years ago, so my recollection is pretty bad as to exactly where it is.