PDA

View Full Version : Baseball 2006

Pages : [1] 2

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Holy shoot, did you guys see that brawl today. AJ got decked. If Barret slugged him because he got run over, then he doesnt deserve to be playing. If words were exchanged, then maybe AJ deserved it.

Hell of an implosion by Wagner today,

1/3 IP, 2 hits, 4 BB, 1 HB and 4 ER. Very sweet of him to implode at this time.

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2006, 08:18 AM
A fight in any sport is awesome.

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Especially boxing

2-1B
05-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm looking forward to watching the Mets beat on the Skanks tonight. ;)

JimJamBonds
05-21-2006, 12:54 PM
How about this great line from Brewer pitcher Ben Hendrickson.....

Hits = 5
Earned Runs = 6
BB = 1
Pitches = 19
IP = 0.0

Slicker
05-21-2006, 02:40 PM
That fight was awesome! He connected quite well with his punch too. I love how in hockey you get a 5 minute suspension but after this brawl I'm lookin' for at least a 20 game suspension.

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
How about this great line from Brewer pitcher Ben Hendrickson.....

Hits = 5
Earned Runs = 6
BB = 1
Pitches = 19
IP = 0.0

If he doesnt pitch again his era will be 0.00 for his career if that was the first major league appearance.

figrin bran
05-21-2006, 06:13 PM
in honor of 714...

mooooooooooooooo!!!!

2-1B
05-21-2006, 10:34 PM
"til the Sandman he coooooooomes, ahhhh!"
:D

bobafrett
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
That fight was awesome! He connected quite well with his punch too. I love how in hockey you get a 5 minute suspension but after this brawl I'm lookin' for at least a 20 game suspension.

That punch is what I would love to deal to some of the customers who come into my store. I get all excited everytime I see a Cubs player deck someone on the opposing team. I remember a couple years ago one of the Cubs relief pitchers tackeled and clobbered a brewers player! Good times!

2-1B
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Someone should take Barret's head off at the plate down the road...that was ridiculous.

bobafrett
05-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Someone should take Barret's head off at the plate down the road...that was ridiculous.

I disagree, that AJ can be a real jerk, besides he plays on the Southside (of Chicago)

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I disagree, that AJ can be a real jerk, besides he plays on the Southside (of Chicago)

It was a clean play and Barret acted like a dillwad.

2-1B
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
It was a clean play and Barret acted like a dillwad.

Agreed. AJ might be an AHole :D but it was a clean play for sure. :)

Lousy Scrubbies. :crazed:

Slicker
05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Agreed. AJ might be an AHole :D but it was a clean play for sure. :)

Lousy Scrubbies. :crazed:I'll definitely admit it was a completely clean hit and slide but there may have been some words exchanged (at least I would hope so) that caused him to hit him.

Kidhuman
05-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Barret said he thought AJ was walking towards the Cubs dugout to start some s**t, when in reality he was getting his helmet. Likely excuse for being pummeled I believe.

2-1B
05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll definitely admit it was a completely clean hit and slide but there may have been some words exchanged (at least I would hope so) that caused him to hit him.

Great, maybe words were said but it's not justification for slugging the guy. :crazed: They are playing a sport, afterall, so a little sportsmanship wouldn't hurt even if words were said.

If somebody walked out to the outfield to slug Barry Bonds just for being a complete prick, I'd have to agree that he had it coming...but I can't justify that behavior. Or if someone wanted to slug ARod or Johnny "I'm even uglier without the :beard: " Damon just for being Yankees, I couldn't blame them but that wouldn't make it acceptable behavior. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Slicker
05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
If somebody walked out to the outfield to slug Barry Bonds just for being a complete prick, I'd have to agree that he had it coming...but I can't justify that behavior. Or if someone wanted to slug ARod or Johnny "I'm even uglier without the :beard: " Damon just for being Yankees, I couldn't blame them but that wouldn't make it acceptable behavior. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:Both of these cases would be completely acceptable as those people totally have it coming to them. They are all overhyped pices of carp.

Kidhuman
05-25-2006, 01:49 AM
I thought I was going to give birth watching the yanks-sox game tonight.
What a great game.

seanmcfripp
05-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Cubbies get swept by the Fish.

* does a little dance *

Tim Kurkjian on Mike and Mike this morning said Prior's wussing it out through some of his little injury stints is starting to hurt his reputation and that the Cubs might consider dumping off to a team in the playoff hunt before the July deadline. Twenty five and on the verge of being washed up. I'll bet somehow it's Bartman's fault.

Hey, Nats beat the 'stros the last two nites! The worst they can do is split the series.

Go Nats!

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 01:27 AM
The Yanks brought the motor city kitties back to earth this week didnt they Slick? 4 game sweep tomorrow?

Slicker
06-01-2006, 03:32 AM
The Yanks brought the motor city kitties back to earth this week didnt they Slick? 4 game sweep tomorrow?I knew it was bound to happen. This is where it all ends...

seanmcfripp
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey, the Wankees come to RFK on the 16th, and I'll be there. The Tigers' death will be avenged!

Go Nats!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Stop the presses! The Pirates won their 4th in a row! :Pirate:

Now they're the hotest team in the NL. Get ready for a 128-34 season! And they host the All-Star Game, too.

Predictions:
NL MVP: Jason Bay (.317 avg, 47 HR, 121 RBI)
NL Cy Young: Oliver Perez (22-8, 292 Ks, 6.78 ERA)
NL Manager of the Year: Jim Leyland :rolleyes:
NL Crazy Talker: Bel-Cam Jos

JimJamBonds
06-02-2006, 12:10 AM

Now they're the hotest team in the NL. Get ready for a 128-34 season! And they host the All-Star Game, too.

G.D. Brewers!!! I was able to listen to part of the game and I heard they were winning going into the top of the 9th........ why do they have such problems in Pittsburgh?!?! :frus: :frus: :frus:

2-1B
06-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Turnbow's magical locks could not save them on this day. :cry:

seanmcfripp
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM

GD hippy needs to get a haircut. Too bad Ohke can't pitch this weekend. Go Nats!

Now they're the hotest team in the NL.

All I ask is that they pass the Cubs, which they should do here with another win or 2. Go Bucs!

JimJamBonds
06-02-2006, 02:38 PM

They never should have given him a bobblehead, its been (mostly) downhill since then. :cry:

seanmcfripp
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Turnbow helped Brian Schneider bump his average up a tad on Saturday , so it's only second worst among catchers now. First sweep this year for the Nats!

2-1B
06-06-2006, 12:47 AM
those pesky Gnats. :mad:

Well, at least the Sewers got out of the gutter tonight against the Pods. lol

jjreason
06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
I knew it was bound to happen. This is where it all ends...

It wasn't a great showing against the east, but they didn't totally fold 'em, either. The win in the last game against the Yankees was well earned - they really hung in there. They had trouble with Boston too though, which wasn't my favorite... and their next 6 are against the ChiSox and Jays. They've had a good enough run - and have a bad enough division - to see this successful season right through to the end, but Leyland is going to have to keep on them. :whip:

jjreason
06-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Man - back to back posts??? Has everyone else given up on their teams already? :D

The Tigers just got done POUNDING those poor ol' Cubbies 3 straight, and they hit 8 bombs today in the process. I'm turning into a bit of a fan of the interleague ball. :pleased:

bobafrett
06-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Man - back to back posts??? Has everyone else given up on their teams already? :D

The Tigers just got done POUNDING those poor ol' Cubbies 3 straight, and they hit 8 bombs today in the process. I'm turning into a bit of a fan of the interleague ball. :pleased: :whip:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :upset:

El Chuxter
06-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Any update on Dave Roberts' condition after he slammed into the concrete wall at full steam yesterday? You talk about a home run that deserves an asterix in the record books. . . .

Stupid Angels "of Anaheim." :mad:

Slicker
06-18-2006, 11:40 PM
:whip:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :upset:I wasn't about to start rubbin' it in Frett...although those 8 homers in one game are a club record.:whip::p

Kidhuman
06-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Tied a club record actually, they also hit 8 in Toronto back in 2000.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....wa snt that the noise the tigers made as they belted 8 homers?

bobafrett
06-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Yes and this is the second game within a months time that the Cubs have allowed 8 homers, which ties the Teams record for HR's allowed. If baseball team satisfaction equaled the Force I'd be way over on the darkside by now, much anger in me.

2-1B
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
where's seanmcnatsfan to rib KH for beating the Skanks ? :confused:

JimJamBonds
06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
How about some love for the Brewers sweaping the Indians this past weekend!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Any update on Dave Roberts' condition after he slammed into the concrete wall at full steam yesterday? You talk about a home run that deserves an asterix in the record books. . . .

Stupid Angels "of Anaheim." :mad:I cringe at all knee injuries, but that one made me wince and close my eyes. No, haven't heard any news. He's a nice player; hate to see anyone hurt, but definitely not the good guys.

BTW, they're still the "California Angels" to me, forever.

jjreason
06-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Frett - the Cubbies are my NL team, I would have been happy splitting that set with you guys, to get you on track. I'm more happy with the Tigers' performance overall than I am with the fact they lit up the Cubbies.

Re. the Angels - I'm really not sure what they were after with that odd name change. The Ducks get criticized enough - you'd think they'd have opted to change THEIR name to be more inline with the Angels. The California Angels, that is.

I got your back, Bel-Cam. :bandit:

El Chuxter
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I love that the reasoning behind the name change was "no one knows where Anaheim is." WTF?

Slicker
06-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I love that the reasoning behind the name change was "no one knows where Anaheim is." WTF?In such a stupid country though do you think many people know where MOST of the major sports teams are located on a map?

El Chuxter
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Exactly.

But anyone can tell you that Disneyland is in Anaheim, even if they can't find it on a map. Beat that, Baltimore!

seanmcfripp
06-20-2006, 09:33 AM
where's seanmcnatsfan to rib KH for beating the Skanks ? :confused:

* almost trips running in *

* pant pant *

Ok, ok, here I am. Whew! Ok, let's do this...

Suck it Wankees fans! Woo hoo! 2 of 3 ain't bad, and you all know it shoulda' been a sweep. I was at the game Fri night with my buddy Steve, who's a GD Spankees fan for some reason (yet he loves the Steelers and the Pens, but only sometimes the Pirates...GD it, I HATE frontrunners!), and it was heartbreaking to watch Tex and The Chief blow a 5-3 lead in the 8th and 9th. GD Bernie Williams, rrrrrrrrr! Anyhoo, A-Rod stunk up the place, so that was fun. Good showing of Yankees fans there too, and even they hate A-Rod.

We'll turn it around in Has-Bean Town, where even though we lost the opener, we hope to silence the most annoying sports fans on the planet.

Go Nats!

I love that the reasoning behind the name change was "no one knows where Anaheim is." WTF?

Moreno has always wanted to cut into the Dodgers' market, plain and simple. They think a stupid name change is all of the sudden going to convert people's team loyalty? Everyone knows that's what the name change is all about, and they refuse to acknowledge it, so I think the media is totally justified in ripping the name every chance they get.

And I still say Frobby could take Scioscia in the 2nd round!

Go Nats (again)!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
who's a GD Spankees fan for some reason (yet he loves the Steelers and the Pens, but only sometimes the Pirates...GD it, I HATE frontrunners!), So, the frontrunners for the NHL first draft pick each year? We Pitt fans are lucky that 2/3 of those teams still play in the city, even if they tend to play poorly. But, to be fair, in the Pirates recent slide, they've been in the games, often blowing leads or losing in the 8th inning or later. Dang it! :mad:

seanmcfripp
06-21-2006, 09:59 AM
So, the frontrunners for the NHL first draft pick each year?

Sorry, let me clarify. My buddy Steve is a Pittsburg fan (Steelers, Pens, Pirates), but he claims to have gotten a New York radio station that carried the Yankees when he was a kid, so he considers himself both a Pirates and a Yankess fan. WTF?! If you're a Pirates fan, you're supposed to hate the Yankess. In fact, you're supposed to hate everyone but your team. So that's what I meant by front runner. He's a GD frontrunner when it comes to his Wankees fandom and I hate it, and I hate fans who are like that.

While most people won't admit this, it's actually kinda fun to have your team stink it up every so often, because it makes winning all that much sweeter when they eventually have a winning season. I know it's been tough being a Pirates fan over the last, oh 25 years or so, but just think how great it'll be when they're good again.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry, let me clarify. My buddy Steve is a Pittsburg fan (Steelers, Pens, Pirates), but he claims to have gotten a New York radio station that carried the Yankees when he was a kid, so he considers himself both a Pirates and a Yankess fan. WTF?! If you're a Pirates fan, you're supposed to hate the Yankess. In fact, you're supposed to hate everyone but your team. So that's what I meant by front runner. He's a GD frontrunner when it comes to his Wankees fandom and I hate it, and I hate fans who are like that.

While most people won't admit this, it's actually kinda fun to have your team stink it up every so often, because it makes winning all that much sweeter when they eventually have a winning season. I know it's been tough being a Pirates fan over the last, oh 25 years or so, but just think how great it'll be when they're good again.I don't buy the "you have to hate all opponents" theory to prove true fan status, but I realize it exists. If I decide to follow and somewhat support the Reds, a fellow NL Central team, does that make me less of a Pirates fan? No. When I say "I hate the Pirates and they can go and stuff themselves in a cupboard," then I lose face and can be berated for loss of support.

But, seanmcfripp your point about frontrunner-ship is true. While I wouldn't call it "fun" that my team's been bad for quite some time, no one can accuse me of being a band wagoner for them. Support 'em in win/loss good times and bad, salary cap sickness and health, free agent richer or poorer, 'til relocation or contraction do us part. (throw rice now) ;)

Kidhuman
06-21-2006, 03:05 PM

I am a 49er fan, have been since around 84, was the first team I watched and liked them. Living in NYC there wassnt much coverage on them, so I chose to follow the Jets and do root for both teams.

While most people won't admit this, it's actually kinda fun to have your team stink it up every so often, because it makes winning all that much sweeter when they eventually have a winning season. I know it's been tough being a Pirates fan over the last, oh 25 years or so, but just think how great it'll be when they're good again.

Thats why when the Yankees win the series, I will look back and say, what does 2/3 matter now.

Slicker
06-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Don't know if anyone has looked at the standings lately but it's lookin' like Atlanta will not only NOT take the NL East for the umpteenth million time but they're gonna struggle to even make the playoffs.

The perpetual winners (Atlanta) are losing and the perpetual losers (Detroit) are winning. This is definitely some weird baseball.

2-1B
06-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Good, I hate Atlanta...I'm a VERY casual baseball fan and don't find much to root for or against but I've hated Atlanta since I was a kid. lol

(no, not because they moved from Milwaukee. :D )

bobafrett
06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm not a White Sox fan (I bleed cubby blue), but watching them smoke the Cardinals the first two games, then win last night 1-0, it was just unreal.

2-1B
06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
(I bleed cubby blue)

I'm surprised more Cubs fans don't bleed to death every year. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Swept by the KC Royals, (still) the owners of baseball's worst record, the Pirates are in big trouble. They scored 7 runs yesterday, and LOST BY MORE THAN TWICE THAT TOTAL. Ugh, sad. :cry:

jjreason
06-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Sorry, BCJ - but you just can't afford to lose to KC. Hopefully the Bucs can give you something to get excited about before the end of the year. :sad:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Sorry, BCJ - but you just can't afford to lose to KC. Hopefully the Bucs can give you something to get excited about before the end of the year. :sad:Well, we do have the All-Star Game... and a couple players that might even start it (Bay is the #3 outfielder in fan voting, and 2b Castilla is third). They play here in LA this weekend, which is often a bad deal. To quote ALF: "These... are tear drops." :cry:

jjreason
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I've been voting for Jason Bay like crazy - good Canucklehead kid that he is.

jjreason
06-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay - double post or not... a sweep of the NL leading Cardinals is worthy of mention!!!! The Tigers are on FYUH!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bobafrett
06-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm surprised more Cubs fans don't bleed to death every year. :D

:frus: don't make me go :rambo: on your face! :dis:

We got swept by the twinkies. God it hurts to wear the Cubbie blue these days.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Bucs win! Bucs win! They are now the hottest baseball team in Pittsburgh (after the Oakland Pony League-leading Orioles (I have no idea if there's such a team, but they would STILL be better :p ). With 13 being an unlucky number, that means that the Pirates will get their karma and have the first 52-game win streak in MLB history! (13 X the archetypal number 4, the same as the number of bases on a diamond) Look out NL Central... we're comin' for ya all!

bobafrett
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Cubs beat the Chi Sox today by the football score of 15-11. I thought my Cubs were going to get swept today after the Sox just were relentless in coming back after the Cubs seemed like they put the game out of reach.

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Everybody hurry run fast over to MLB.com and vote for Justin Verlander in the "All Star Game Final Vote" thingy where the fans pick the last All Star.

You owe me anyway, frett. I voted for Nomar. :)

Hey, this is my 1,300th post. Should I start a thread congratulating myself?;)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I've been voting for Jason Bay like crazy - good Canucklehead kid that he is.Thanks, jjr, and everyone else who put him in the starting outfield. We have two reps, which is amazing considering the Buccos now own the worst record in the majors (.001 below KC's royal masterpiece). The game will be good, as both squads on paper are fairly even, but as we all know, the games aren't played on paper. (they're played on photosynthesized cell walls and plastic hybrids ;) ). Go NL! Get that World Series edge! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Everybody hurry run fast over to MLB.com and vote for Justin Verlander in the "All Star Game Final Vote" thingy where the fans pick the last All Star.

....and then pick Chris Capuano for the NL.

Kidhuman
07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
So, you in your opinion got snubbed form the game? I think Nomar(leads NL batting), Schilling(9-2), Giambi(27 hrs) and a few others also got the snub.

jjreason
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM

You owe me anyway, frett. I voted for Nomar. :)

Hey, this is my 1,300th post. Should I start a thread congratulating myself?;)

I plugged in about 20 votes for JV today, Cap - I was coming here to post the exact same request!!!

GIT 'R' DONE for Verlander, SSG!!!! :D

Slicker
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I just threw down a couple of votes for both Verlander and Nomar. Not that I like Nomar but for cryin' out loud he's the best hitter in the league thus far.

The one that I'm uber glad didn't make it is Barry. :yes:

Kidhuman
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, your Tiger didnt get in, it was A.J. Should have voted somemore.

bobafrett
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, your Tiger didnt get in, it was A.J. Should have voted somemore.

Do you mean A.J., I got a face full of Cubs catcher M. Barretts fist?

DarthQuack
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Verlander should have gotten in over that punk from Chicago.

Kidhuman
07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Nomar deserved his nod, no question. You could make an arguement in the AL for Liriano as well.

JimJamBonds
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Granted I'm being a homer but if you look at the injuries to Brewer starters and how iffy the bullpen has been Chris Capuano has been HUGE for the Brewers. But Nomar is a solid pick (as would have been any of the other choices).

figrin bran
07-07-2006, 12:38 AM
i'm proud that 2 Bruins - Chase Utley and Troy Glaus made it to the all star game!

not that i follow baseball all that closely but i've developed a habit of quickly reaching for the remote and hitting "mute" whenever there's an interview with grady little. i just can't stand listening to him. (that's my west coast bias right there!)

CaptainSolo1138
07-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Verlander got robbed.

I can just see Ozzie Guillen sitting at his computer at 4 in the morning, all blurry eyed and high, voting over and over for Pierzynski.

The All Star game is such a racket. I know it "counts" now, but the way it's setup is pretty lame. I'm surprised Guillen is starting Kenny Rogers and not one of his dozen aces that he brought with him. Why not just bring along Frank Thomas, Sammy Sosa, Carlton Fisk and Shoeless Joe Jackson while you're at it?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2006, 11:42 AM
The All Star game is such a racket. I know it "counts" now, but the way it's setup is pretty lame. I'm surprised Guillen is starting Kenny Rogers and not one of his dozen aces that he brought with him. Why not just bring along Frank Thomas, Sammy Sosa, Carlton Fisk and Shoeless Joe Jackson while you're at it?You forgot Ron Karkovice. :p

All the All-Star games are "rackets," even the Pro Bowl (which has more of the players themselves selecting them). Fans vote for their favorites, not necessarily the most deserving players (i.e Ozzie Smith or Cal Ripken when better SS were in the game). But using the Ozzie and Cal examples, they were good PEOPLE, not just good players, nor flashes in the pan that'll be gone from long-term memory in a couple seasons. So I say, let the fans keep their voting privledges. I do not like the Internet voting though, because you should go to the game venues in order to vote, not the cliched imagery of underwear and comfort-of-your-own-home. :eek:

CaptainSolo1138
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
You forgot Ron Karkovice. :pAnd Robin Ventura. Sorry. ;)

I like the idea of in-stadium voting. It eliminates most types of funny business. I was shocked that the internet voting allowed multiple votes from the same person. That just BEGS for ballot stuffing.

Kidhuman
07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
You forgot HArold Baines and Greg Lusinski

figrin bran
07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
why does edgar renteria get to bat 5th ahead of david wright?

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Cause he gets on base for Wright to drive in.

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Here is a good idea to update the HR derby from Steve Czaban on his website www.czabe.com (http://www.czabe.com)

Can we all agree that the Home Run Derby is played? Honestly. And I’m not even getting into what sham Chris Berman makes of it once he opens his giant cake-crusher.
The concept is not just old, but the actual administration of the multiple rounds and such, becomes tedious by night’s end.
So here’s a solution, that’s solid gold, and I guarantee would never be attempted.
First off, make the HR derby a Team game. AL vs. NL.
You’ve got 9 on 9. Just like a batting lineup. Your best 9 guys, vs our best 9 guys. We alterate at-bats, just like a “game” and keep score of TOTAL home runs. Every “at bat” lasts until a guy gets “3 outs” (just like it does now.)
Who sets the lineup? The players! That’s who! Have the entire team sit in the dugout, and let them sort it out. Have fun with that aspect. Mic up the players and listen to them tease, goad, and cajole each other.
The fans would be into it too. Here’s why. For a paltry $1 million dollars, a corporate sponsor gets to name the event. The $1 million bucks goes to fans who are at the stadium, and hold the “winning” ticket. Half the tickets have “AL” on them, the other half “NL.”
That’s who you are rooting for. The payout could work any one of several ways. Let one fan on the “winning” team get the whole $1 million, and announce it on the stadium PA system like a lottery.
Or just give every fan $50 bucks.
How sweet would that be. You’d be cheering like mad if your “team” was down just a few HR’s, and some big stud was still sitting in the dugout, mulling whether he’s going to get in there and take some hacks.
Sounds good, right? But what about the fathead players? What’s their motivation?
Easy.
Nine gleaming black Hummer’s, tricked out to the gills, parked right along the first base line. Your team “wins” and you got in the box? Have fun with the sled.
It’s such a good idea, it hurts to think about how it’ll never happen.

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Thats not a bad idea, but the giveaway kind of sucks. Work on that and it might fly. Every person getting 50 bucks kind of sucks since they pay that much for the tickets. It would be like getting in for free. Maybe have a few fans come out, picked by seatr numbers and try to hit home runs for say, 100,000 if they do and 10g for playing.

CaptainSolo1138
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
I thought last night's derby was gold. It went to the very end with no clear cut winner right out of the gate (like Abreau last year). And to top it off, someone won 500 free flights. Kinda cool, I thought.

I do, however, agree that it needs to be updated. They did a little this year by having the 1st round homers carry over into the 2nd (which makes perfect sense), but I think there needs to be a change similar to what that fella was talking about in the article JJB #2 posted. It seems very drastic, but worth a shot if even just for one year.

Anyone else got an All Star MVP prediction? I'm gonna go with Pudge.

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Anyone else got an All Star MVP prediction? I'm gonna go with Pudge.

*Cough* Homer! *cough*

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I am going to say Jeter.

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I am going to say Jeter.

See my above post. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Sad, sad. Alas, the Pittsburgh Pirates will mathematically be unable to compile a 100-win season and will have to settle for the indignity of simply a double-digit win season (only 98... :upset: ).

But hey, PNC Park looked great during the All-Star Game festivities, right? Right? :yes: :rolleyes:

bobafrett
07-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Did anyone notice that Chicago hosted the "G A Y Games" this week? Guess where the closing ceremony was held............Wrigley Field.

jjreason
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
It IS in that part of town, is it not? A friend of mine from high school went to a design school near Wrigley, and his apartment building was apparently just full of Dorothy's friends.

BCJ - the field looked amazing. The jersey's on the other hand..... :cross-eye

Slicker
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Tigers are still DOMINATING!!!

seanmcfripp
07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Nats swept the Cubbies, so my boss owes me a McGriddle. Bobafrett, you and any other Cubs fan out there should buy me one too.

DarthQuack
07-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Couldn't believe the Cubs actually took one from the Mets with Maddux giving up 7 runs and still getting the W! Oh well, Derrek Lee is back on the DL, what a shock. :(

bobafrett
07-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Nats swept the Cubbies, so my boss owes me a McGriddle. Bobafrett, you and any other Cubs fan out there should buy me one too.

Sure just let me know where to mail it to! :laugh:

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Tigers are still DOMINATING!!!

Got the butts kicked today.

figrin bran
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let soriano go to the white sox

CaptainSolo1138
07-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Got the butts kicked today.
And the Yankees finally won one. :D

They better keep Johnny Damon away from cars. Front seats can be dangerous it seems.

Except for in the "W" column, the loss doesn't mean anything for the Tigers since the Sox lost too.

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let soriano go to the white soxI had the same conversation with KH yesterday. I have a feeling it'll end up being so, though. At least it ain't the Yankees. They're too busy trying to get everyone else who's up on the block.:rolleyes:

seanmcfripp
07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let soriano go to the white sox

Local papers in DC say it's almost a done deal. Tigers were next in line from what I heard. I hate to see him go, he's so much fun to watch, especially at RFK where any home run looks like a monster shot. Hopefully we'll get some good prospects in return.

Kidhuman
07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Listening to Dan Patrick and ROme today, Soriano aint going anywhere yet. WS GM states the deal was far from done and the Nats want too much.

The Yanks are trying to get middle relief, Matsui will be back at the end of August so that cures the outfield issues.

seanmcfripp
07-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Fonzie's still a Nat!! Man, I hope they can sign him.

Yanks got Abreu. Hmmm, I didn't know he could pitch. :rolleyes: Or maybe Matsui or Shef will join the starting rotation when they get back. When will the Yanks ever learn: You can throw big bats a a starting pitching problem.

Overall though, throughout the leagues, seems like nobody important went anywhere.

DarthQuack
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Dodgers picked up Julio Lugo and Greg Maddux, I'd say that they did alright, but the Tigers scored nicely getting Casey at 1B.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Where the hell did this Utley kid (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtXliOUT6F5PG87felkrElYRvLYF?slug=ap-phillies-utleysstreak&prov=ap&type=lgns) come from?

Kidhuman
07-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Utley came up last year I believe.

Soriano went no where like I predicted he would(nt).

As for the Abreu trade, WTF???? Seriously, I know they would like an outfielder who can hit, so why get Abreu. You are in the hunt with what you have and Matsui is already practicing, so he is 3 weeks or so from returning. I wonder if the only way they could get Lidel was to take Abreu.

We got Craig Wilson today also from the Pirates, why I dont know.

They better get Alfonso back in the off season.

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm glad I'm not a Mets fan with Wagner trying to close games, he gave up a 2-run bomb in the 9th to the Marlins.

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2006, 06:25 AM
I wanna pick up Sean Casey but I don't dare sit Jim Thome, even though he's been hurt the past couple games. I need about five more empty slots and I'd be in good shape. :p

Slick, THANK YOU for stealing Kenny Rogers off of waivers from me. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
It's Christmas in July! Given away by the Pirates (who, BTW, according to the history behind their name should be stealing from others, being feared by all who come in contact with them):

Craig Wilson
Oliver Perez (their Opening Day starting pitcher)
Roberto Hernandez
Sean Casey
Kip Wells

Received in return:

(crickets chirp, man clears his throat, floorboards creak)

Can't even bring myself to include the Pirate smiley in this post ... :cry:

Kidhuman
08-02-2006, 02:01 PM
You got Shawn Chacon for Wilson, be happy.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
You got Shawn Chacon for Wilson, be happy.But will he stay? Or is Pittsburgh still the subway stop to Atlanta? Or New York (pick a team)? Or Chicago (ibid)? Or St. Louis?

Sad. :( :mad: The Buccos often go into a tail spin after the trade deadline, mainly 'cause their squad gets ripped apart.

figrin bran
08-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Chase Utley is from UCLA (which makes him one of my favorite MLB'ers along with Troy Glaus, Garrett Atkins). last season was his first full season in the majors but i believe he got called up in late '04.

slicker, he was also on the NL All Star squad this season and last season had .291, 28 and 105.

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 05:58 AM
I know you are all sweating A-rods slide into second.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 06:24 AM
That was awesome. Carlos Guillen had on that was similar last night, but it was nowhere near as sweet. Talk about rolling in s**t and coming out smelling like a rose.

I ended up adding Sean Casey. Marcus Thames has been sitting (and will continue to do so) since Dmitri Young made his return, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a back up for injury-prone Jim Thome.

figrin bran
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
it looks like Greg Maddux stepped out of a time machine from 1996.

KH, how did you like Jered Weaver today? :)

JimJamBonds
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
It's Christmas in July! Given away by the Pirates (who, BTW, according to the history behind their name should be stealing from others, being feared by all who come in contact with them):

Craig Wilson
Oliver Perez (their Opening Day starting pitcher)
Roberto Hernandez
Sean Casey
Kip Wells

Received in return:

(crickets chirp, man clears his throat, floorboards creak)

Can't even bring myself to include the Pirate smiley in this post ... :cry:

Don't feel bad BCJ, your beloved Pirates are playing my beloved Brewers. The Bucs won game one and I predict they will win the series if not sweep the Crew. :upset:

Kidhuman
08-15-2006, 01:26 AM
KH, how did you like Jered Weaver today? :)

He pitched pretty damn good. Am glad we got the split though. HEre is some trivia for you:

Since Joe Torre took over the Yankees in '96, the Angels are the only team in baseball with a winning record against theYAnkees. So in ten years they are the only ones that can beat us.

DarthQuack
08-15-2006, 05:37 AM
And with our luck we'll see them in the first round...

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Damn what a great game tonight. I cant believe we are actually poised to sweep Boston. After watching the Yankees beat Boston like they owe em money this weekend, I think it put themout of the division race for the most part. Will be watching the game tomorrow/later today for the sweep.

figrin bran
08-21-2006, 01:30 AM
He pitched pretty damn good. Am glad we got the split though. HEre is some trivia for you:

Since Joe Torre took over the Yankees in '96, the Angels are the only team in baseball with a winning record against theYAnkees. So in ten years they are the only ones that can beat us.

Weaver pitched another great game the other night. I'm surprised the scouting reports haven't caught up to him the way they usually do with rookie pitchers and it's quite obvious that between him and Jeff, Jered got all the good stuff.

KH, believe me, the local angels station always makes sure to point out that bit of trivia on the yankees vs. angels.

CaptainSolo1138
08-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Yanks PWN3D the BoSox. I'm not a Yankees fan, but damn that was a good series!

Detroit needs to get their heads outta their butts and step it up against Chicago this week. Losing 9 out of 12 isn't gonna win any divisions. Every team is bound to slump, so I'm not too worried about it, but they need to get things turned around quick before Chicago or Minnesota slips in the backdoor and makes Detroit chase them.

KH, I have an announcement:

buuuuuuuuuuurn i got u good

It was only 6-3, but damn it feels good to beat first place :D

DarthQuack
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Yanks showed what they're made of, even if A-Rod is still playing mediocre for his standards, not that I'm on his case like the most of us Yankee fans, but hopefully we'll take them out for game numba 5 today.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 11:36 AM
He had 5 rbi's in the series, so what if he aint hitting homers every at bat.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Sweep Sweep Sweep

DarthQuack
08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
We just swept your a55es, how do you like them apples?

CaptainSolo1138
08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
"We"? What position do you play? ;)

DarthQuack
08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
I play leftout and usually with myself as well.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Check out the new tar

<---------------

JimJamBonds
08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
"We"? What position do you play? ;)

He might be an owner Cap. lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-22-2006, 06:03 AM
I nominate DQ and KH for the "Avatar of the Year" award. :D

He might be an owner Cap.I'd at least make him GM, since Theo Epstein isn't even old enough to tie his shoes yet.

Kidhuman
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the nomination.

seanmcfripp
08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Who are the official Sawks fans around these parts? Sound off, and call the Yankees your daddies.

* very quietly *
Go Nats!

jjreason
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Not me, but I do have a seat on their bandwagon.... which I'm looking at selling very reasonably after that debacle.

One pair of Sox that helped "us" out today was the White Sox, who finally put a little crimp in those surging Twinkies. With the two of them pounding each other, that freed up Verlander to poop the bed yesterday, helping the Tigers to lose 2 of 3 to the Tribe. :(

To say I've been growing concerned over the last month would be a massive understatement, the Twinks and Chisox are simply not going away. Being in a Division with 3 of the 5 best teams in Baseball is exciting, but in a really infuriating way.

Checking the sked, we've got a nasty 3 days coming up: Twinkies vs. KC, ChiSox vs. Tampa and Tigers vs. the Damn Yankees. Bluck.

Kidhuman
08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
I do believe the AL East is done with the Yankees holding a 7 game lead. We do play Boston 4 more times, but with Varitek out, Manny playing every otehr day and Ortiz out indefinitely, I cant see them holding on to anything.

CaptainSolo1138
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
And don't forget Wily Mo Pena. Don't nobody exclude Wily Mo when I'm around...

JimJamBonds
08-29-2006, 10:51 PM
So the G__ d___ Brewers sweep the Rockies last week, then they go and lay a turd in Miami (swept in 4) and now they lost to Houston. Damn are they frustrating to follow. :(

bobafrett
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
So the G__ d___ Brewers sweep the Rockies last week, then they go and lay a turd in Miami (swept in 4) and now they lost to Houston. Damn are they frustrating to follow. :(

Now feel the pain of being a Cubs fan. First we get swept by the Cards in St Louis, then we go to play the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates, and get swept, and not only that, the last two games we go into extra innings, go ahead by a run or two in the top of the extra inning, only to lose in the bottom of the inning. Nice 0 for 6 road trip guys!

JimJamBonds
08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
And now another L to the 'stro's... man I'm really excited about going to see them on Friday and Saturday.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Well, you know football in its college and pro versions is here, when you have to dig into the third page of this section to find this 3-week-old-thread. :rolleyes:

C'mon Pirates! Keep those Mets from clinching the NL East until game 162. :pleased: We're within winning distance of being the SIXTH-WORST team in MLB! :confused: :whip: Hopefully, I will get to see them this coming Thursday vs. Los Dodgers.

JimJamBonds
09-18-2006, 11:56 AM
How are you boys in the Murder Mitten feeling about the Tigers these days? Are they going to hang on? It should be a good last couple weeks of the regular season.

CaptainSolo1138
09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
I tells ya what, JJB, it's a helluva lot closer than anyone thought it'd be two months ago. Thanks to the Sox recent so-so play the Tigers SHOULD have at least the Wild Card locked up.

What sucks about that? They'll probably get the Yankees in the first round. I think the Tigers could definitely beat them, but they'd have to be firing on all cylinders, with dominant pitching (Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers and Robertson in mid-July form) and HUGE bats (Pudge, Mags, Casey and Inge providing the lead for people like Granderson, Thames and Polonco). Picking up Matt Stairs' fat @$$ didn't hurt either. Whatever the case, Tiger nation has nothing to be ashamed of. It sure beats the hell out of losing 119!

Kidhuman
09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Ther Tigers cant beat the Yanks, the 2 games they managed to win were when Rivera wasnt able to pitch.

CaptainSolo1138
09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Meh. The key is to get the Yankees into a position where Riveria can't be as big of a factor (i.e. Lead into the ninth). I think Mariano is a great pitcher, don't get me wrong, but he's no better than the Tigers' Todd Jones.

jjreason
09-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Rivera's human, no doubts there, and he's failed at key moments in the past (remember game 7 against Arizona in the WS a few years ago).

The Tigers are fine. We HAD a long stretch with few wins (caused by few runs), but things seem to be starting to possibly get turned around..... I hope. Our magic number for the playoffs (let's assume Minny's in) is 7 (Tigs wins plus Stinky-Sox losses), meaning if the Sox play .500 over the last 12, we only need to win one more game. With 7 games left against KC (6) and Baltimore (1), I don't foresee that being a problem.

I certainly like the way we match up against the Twins and A's better than the Yankees, but I'm sure the A's fans and Twins fans feel the same way - no one wants the Yankees in the first round. If you're gonna win the World Series though, the road goes through Brooklyn - doesn't matter to me if we get them in the first or second round.

Kidhuman
09-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Um.....JJ.....the road goes through the Bronx, they dont play in Brooklyn&

Rogue II
09-19-2006, 01:20 PM
and somewhere in the distance, a faint voices says "buuuuuuuuuuuurn he got u gud! lol"

JimJamBonds
09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
What sucks about that? They'll probably get the Yankees in the first round.

I think as of right now its would be Tigers vs. A's and Yankee's vs. Twin's in the first round.

Kidhuman
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Best REcord gets the Wild Card unless its the same division, but the Yanks have the best record right now so yeah the Twins would be all us.&

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Soon, I and any of the other Pittsburgh (or insert Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Cubs, Milwaukee, et al) fans will be unable to contribute to this thread, except as outsiders, so I must provide this monumental news:

The Pittsburgh Pirates cannot lose 100 games in the 2006 season.

Hoo
ray.

Arr. :Pirate:

Continue with your "post season plans," whatever those things are. :confused: :p

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Continue with your "post season plans," whatever those things are. :confused:LMAO! This is the first time in 19 years, BCJ, that the Detroit congregation won't be there with you and it's really hard to say that I feel bad! :p

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
You will be joining them shortly Solo. But at least you mader it&

JimJamBonds
09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
You will be joining them shortly Solo. But at least you mader it&

I dub the Yankee's the "New Brave's" sure they go to the playoffs each year but they just can't win it all.

Rogue II
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
The Yankees have about 6 more years of playoff losses to catch up to the Braves.

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Also, the Braves never had to deal with any other relatively dominant teams in their run. The Yanks have been pestered by the Red Sox for the last five years or so. Prove me worng, but there were never any thorns that big for the Braves.

But at least they aren't the Yankees. Blooooooooooooooooooow

JimJamBonds
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey guys I just said it to get KH all hot and bothered not you two. lol

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm not hot and bothered at all, I'm just conversing. I hate the damn Yankees just as much as the next guy. :D

Rogue II
09-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey guys I just said it to get KH all hot and bothered not you two. lol

I felt obligated to get my homie's back.:thumbsup:

Anyway, while I don't like the Braves, as a Bills' fans, I know their pain. At least they were the champs once.

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I dub the Yankee's the "New Brave's" sure they go to the playoffs each year but they just can't win it all.

Dude, you cant get me bothered with that statement. Even though the Braves had a 15 year run, they won 1 WS. The Yankees have been there for 11 straight years and have 4 world series wins vs 2 losses. I will take that any day.&

seanmcfripp
09-21-2006, 07:00 PM
JJB or Caesar, what happened to Turnbow? Did he get fired from being the closer? When the crew came to RFK last weekend, they had him pitching in regular relief.

figrin bran
09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
if anyone here is a pirates fan, you can thank me for the victory over the dodgers last night as i was in attendance. (i have a streak going of every dodger game that i attend being a loss. i don't even like them either)

JimJamBonds
09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
JJB or Caesar, what happened to Turnbow? Did he get fired from being the closer? When the crew came to RFK last weekend, they had him pitching in regular relief.

Dbow had a rough streak in July so when the Brewers traded Carlos Lee the Brewers got back Francisco Cordero from the Rangers. He has been the closer since and Dbow has generally been the 'set up guy.' Many around these parts are really hammering Turnbow but I still like him and I think he can turn things around again.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2006, 11:33 PM
if anyone here is a pirates fan, you can thank me for the victory over the dodgers last night as i was in attendance. (i have a streak going of every dodger game that i attend being a loss. i don't even like them either)[Bel-Cam's version:] If anyone here is a Pirates fan, you can [kill] me for the [loss against] the Dodgers last night, as I was in attendance. (I [used to] have a streak going of every Dodgers/Pirates game that I attend being a loss, [that ended last year. Starting new losing streaks...] I don't even like them either.)

I got insulted more than I ever had, wearing my Clemente jersey. Usually there are a couple fans who'll give Arriba some props. But there were a few Pittsburgh fans who gave some good vibes.

figrin bran
09-22-2006, 11:51 PM
BCJ, just be glad you aren't a giants fan going to games at dodger stadium.

i attended one of those games a few years back and apparently there was a fan scuffle and shooting in the parking lot.

Slicker
09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
The Tigers have officially clinched there first playoff spot since 1987 + they've taken back the best record in the league + it's about dang time.

CaptainSolo1138
09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
WOOT WOOT! Awesome, every home should have one.

JimJamBonds
09-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I like your tar Cappy! :thumbsup: I hope to be sporting a similar looking Brewers tar in the next year or so.

CaptainSolo1138
09-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks, JJB! I wish you luck with that Brewers prediction. I'm gonna send myself a PM so I can quote you on that in a couple years. :D

JimJamBonds
09-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks, JJB! I wish you luck with that Brewers prediction. I'm gonna send myself a PM so I can quote you on that in a couple years. :D

Thanks.... thanks alot. lol Just remember I said "I HOPE TO....."

CaptainSolo1138
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
No worries. I can't really hold a bold prediction against anyone after I promised to clean a certain body part for whoever could beat me one week in pitching this year in baseball (Now KH expects me to fly him here for said cleaning).

Kidhuman
09-25-2006, 07:13 PM
You're damn right, I expect it to be cleaned and shining&.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
sorry for the late hint, but HBO is airing a special right now on the Chicago Cubs. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Its called wait until next year. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!&

2-1B
09-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm rooting for the Yankees this postseason.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-26-2006, 10:58 PM

It's okay KH. It'll be another Yankee's postseason. So much money spent and then they'll choke. I'll remember ya though, don't worry. :crazed:

Slicker
09-27-2006, 01:41 PM
What the heck climbed up Houstons butt? And at the same time what the heck happened to St. Louis? Houston has a good shot at the playoffs if they keep it up.

Kidhuman
09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Houston swept 4 games from St. Louis thats what happened&

JimJamBonds
09-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Who woulda thunk it that the Brewers will have a say in determining who is going to the playoffs?!?! They beat the Cards tonight 9-5 and I hope they do the same on Fri, Sat and Sunday! Its not as if I'm an Astro fan but I guess they are the lesser of the two evils.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2006, 10:36 AM
[Bel-Cam's version:] Starting new losing streaks...] I don't even like them either.) I see the Buccos play in person. They'd won 5 in a row at that point. They lose. They've lost 8 in a row now. Tied for the basement with the Cubbies. I suck. :(

Bel-Cam Jos :whip: the public flogging will be televised... on basic cable... on a Friday night... at 2:30 am... :cry:

jjreason
09-30-2006, 11:55 PM
The Tigers appear to be doing everything in their power to hand the division to the Twins. I'm absolutely appalled that they can somehow lose 2 straight to Kansas, on the exact same days the Twins happen to lose to the ChiSox. To have 1st place since May, then lose it on the last day of the season is NOT going to sit well with me.... :mad:

Slicker
10-01-2006, 06:31 AM
They've just gotta remind of us who they really are. If they did good we might expect it every season but now we can come back to earth and remember that it is the Tigers after all.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2006, 09:45 AM

Predictions:
NL MVP: Jason Bay (.317 avg, 47 HR, 121 RBI)
NL Cy Young: Oliver Perez (22-8, 292 Ks, 6.78 ERA)
NL Manager of the Year: Jim Leyland :rolleyes:
NL Crazy Talker: Bel-Cam JosSee? I was dead on! Leyland has to get the NL, ur, AL Manager of the Year nod; Bay IS the MVP (of his team? ... and if you adjust his stats per 48 minutes they're exactly right :rolleyes: ); and after trading Oliver Perez they got out of the cellar. :sleeping:

If Pitt can win today, they stay out of the lowest spot in the league, and even with a loss they'd only be tied for there. But we avoided a triple-digit loss year. Talk about silver linings... :( Hey, I won't have much else to talk about as a direct fan for some time.

Kidhuman
10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Yanks vs Le Tigres in the first round. You boys are going down like slickers mom at a pimp convention&

Slicker
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
It'll be a good series though. I'd be more than willing to put a friendly little wager on the series if you're down, KH. Or are ya chicken...?

2-1B
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I predict the Yankees in 8 games.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
finally! Dusty Baker is FIRED from the Cubs. This isn't all that needs to be done, but it's definately a step in the right direction. What needs to be done next: Fire the pitching coach, Larry Rothchild! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
10-02-2006, 10:44 PM
finally! Dusty Baker is FIRED from the Cubs. This isn't all that needs to be done, but it's definately a step in the right direction. What needs to be done next: Fire the pitching coach, Larry Rothchild! :thumbsup:

Go Bears! Sorry, but my Cubs have failed me. I wish I could get one of the Vader's in my group to use the force choke on the whole team. :upset:

bobafrett
10-02-2006, 10:47 PM

Go Bears! Sorry, but my Cubs have failed me. I wish I could get one of the Vader's in my group to use the force choke on the whole team. :upset:

Ha, and the Twins take the division title on the lat game of the season, just like a sneaky eBay bidder!

JimJamBonds
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Baker wasn't fired, his contract was up and he wasn't offered a new one.

Kidhuman
10-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Alou also is out as Giants manager. Girardi will be the new Cubbies skipper.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Alou also is out as Giants manager. Girardi will be the new Cubbies skipper.

As soon as he gets canned from the Fish.... which I heard will happen today.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM

Dammit Jim Jam, I know this, but i'm happy Baker is gone and it makes me feel better to say he got fired! Don't spoil my fun. :crazed: hehehehe

CaptainSolo1138
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
John Kruk, you fat retard.

This morning he went on about what a phenominal pitcher Wang is and how he's going to dominate the Tigers. When asked about Detroit's Nate Robertson, Kruk stated that he was too young to see much success. Knowing that his fat mouth didn't make sense most of the time, two minutes of research on my behalf showed that Robertson is THREE YEARS OLDER than Wang! Instead of eating bacon grease sammichs, maybe you should look up some facts next time, Chubs.

Kidhuman
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
What he meant is Wang has proven himself through out the majors and in Japan to as which Robertson hasnt. &

CaptainSolo1138
10-03-2006, 06:28 PM
You can't say that he's "proven" anything. He's played a third of the time that Robertson has. Saying that he's "proved" somethig is like saying Liriano belongs in the HOF because his rookie year was so good. His overall numbers are only slightly better than Robertson's, which can be attributed to playing way fewer games.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2006, 11:07 PM

Dammit Jim Jam, I know this, but i'm happy Baker is gone and it makes me feel better to say he got fired! Don't spoil my fun. :crazed: hehehehe

I know I know, that ashclown should have gotten fired not "let go.":D

I can't believe there hasn't been one Wang joke yet with all of the posts about him. lol

Kidhuman
10-03-2006, 11:16 PM
How can you joke when he pitches gems like tonight?? I called up Solo and ragged him a bit about the score when it was 3-0. He got a few minutes of pleasure when the Kitty's came back, but that didnt last long

Jeter going 5-5 was awesome. He now holds the record for 8 hits in 2 games in the post season. He shall add to that tomorrow. MVP for Jeter this year baby

Tomorrow nights game should be a good pitching match up as the stats on both pitchers are close. 1 down, 2 to go

Hows about Johan getting tagged with a huge L today. That hurts the Twinkies drastically. Thomas with 2 bombs is insane this year.

Isobars&

CaptainSolo1138
10-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I almost rang you, KH, when the Tigers "came back", but in retrospect I'm glad I saved you another phone call when they eventually gave up the ghost. Wang (pronounced with a long 'a' sound, like it should be) pitched a pretty good game. It wasn't until they went to the pen and brought in Proctor that I felt like the Tigers had a chance (I swear, if I have to hear Joe Buck refer to the Yankees relievers as their "soft underbelly" again I'll scream! I counted him using that phrase four times last night).

We'll see how Verlander does tonight. If he can dial it in and get some run support, the series'll be tied. Hopefully he doesn't get the rookie playoff jitters.

Kidhuman
10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I was awaiting your phone call last night and if the game didnt end damn near midnight I would have called ya back. Isobars &

CaptainSolo1138
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Those poor Yanks. Put in the electric chair and then told the power was out. lol

figrin bran
10-05-2006, 01:25 AM
what a nice brain cramp of a play JD Drew! :thumbsup:

oh look, jeff kent is getting tagged out at home in front of me - why don't i just keep running, they'll never notice me and i'll score a run. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
10-05-2006, 06:08 AM
That was the biggest assinine play I have eer seen in baseball. I dont blame Hunter for diving, its what made him what he is.

Isobars&

JimJamBonds
10-05-2006, 08:37 AM
That was the biggest assinine play I have eer seen in baseball.

Ever or since 1985? :D

Kidhuman
10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
EVER!!!

Isobars&:beard:

CaptainSolo1138
10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I loved it. It reminded me of that scene in "Major League". :D

JimJamBonds
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Buck O'Neil the famous Negro League star died today at the age of 94. He was the first black coach in the MLB (Cubs 1962), he had a long and storied life. He even batted in a minor league game this July!!!

RIP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6037998

jjreason
10-07-2006, 01:41 AM
RIP, Buck.

Anyone else flabbergasted by the last 18 innings worth of Tigers pitching? :pleased:

Kidhuman
10-07-2006, 07:50 AM
PUDGE WAS OUT!!!!

Rogers pitched great last night(I hate admitting that) but we still have life.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
seriously, who is this really really bad guy doing the broadcasting on Fox?! I think he used the analogy of "Dodgeball" and even said, "Average Joe's up next" and he discussed Pudge signing with the Tigers like "the cool kid pledging to the worst frat on baseball university." WTF. I used to LOATHE when Al Leiter was broadcasting, now i'm wishing he was here. Jesus, i might even take Joe Morgan over this guy.........MIGHT.

Kidhuman
10-07-2006, 04:47 PM
seriously, who is this really really bad guy doing the broadcasting on Fox?! I think he used the analogy of "Dodgeball" and even said, "Average Joe's up next" and he discussed Pudge signing with the Tigers like "the cool kid pledging to the worst frat on baseball university." WTF. I used to LOATHE when Al Leiter was broadcasting, now i'm wishing he was here. Jesus, i might even take Joe Morgan over this guy.........MIGHT.

I agree, I wish Joe Buck and Timmy boy were on.

Isobars&:beard:

JetsAndHeels
10-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Goodbye Yankees, good luck Mets!!

seanmcfripp
10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Buck O'Neil the famous Negro League star died today at the age of 94. He was the first black coach in the MLB (Cubs 1962), he had a long and storied life. He even batted in a minor league game this July!!!

RIP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6037998

John Thompson has a local show on WTEM Spotstalk 980 in D.C., which featured Buck on occasion. John, Doc, and Al lobbied hard on air to get Buck in the Hall of Fame over the years, and it's sad that it's never going to happen.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-07-2006, 10:59 PM

It's okay KH. It'll be another Yankee's postseason. So much money spent and then they'll choke. I'll remember ya though, don't worry. :crazed:

So, here we are KH. I was talking to myself and figured this should wait another day or two so you can fully grasp the loss and the elimination, but ya know what, for all the flack i get from ya about the Cubbies, I think this is alright. :crazed:

So, another horrible Yankees post season! Man o man, it was fun to watch. I don't think A-Rod will be with them next year due to his inability to produce in the post season. Any thoughts on where baseball's most fantastic choke squad will look like next season? :lipsrsealed:

JetsAndHeels
10-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Allright, Mets advance to the NLCS.
Hey, at least NY has one team still in it right? :D

Kidhuman
10-08-2006, 08:44 AM
A-Rod wont be going anywhere, if his inability to perform in the post season is a reason to get rid of him, the get rid of Giambi, Cano, Sheff, Matsui, Abreu, Damon and whoever else didnt produce. Only Jeter and Posada batted over .300 in the series. I hate people who take the medias word on everything. The guy had a great season, .280, 35 hr's, 116 RBI. Just because he won the MVP doesnt mean he can do it every year. There was apitcher(cant remember his name) who once said I dont want to win 20 games because people will expect me to do it every year. And thats what everyone wants.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2006, 09:44 AM
John Thompson has a local show on WTEM Spotstalk 980 in D.C., which featured Buck on occasion. John, Doc, and Al lobbied hard on air to get Buck in the Hall of Fame over the years, and it's sad that it's never going to happen.I assume you mean he'll never going to know he made it. I think this guarantees he's in next time. His speech at this year's ceremony was great, and I've heard him on radio shows as well. Buck, you'll be missed. :(

:( that the Twins are out.
:squareeye that the A's are in.

:D that the Yanks are out.
:pleased: that the Tigers are in.

:tired: that the Mets are in.
:tired: that the Dodgers are in.

:confused: if the Cards or Pads will be in.

I guess I'm rooting for a rematch of the '84 series now, as Pirate fans have little interest aside from general baseball fandom. :cry:

jjreason
10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Well you've got at least one other "historical" option then, BCJ - the Tigers have played both St. Louis and the Padres for the World Series (the former happening in 1968, when the Tigers came back from a 3-1 defecit to beat the Cards who featured Bob Gibson as their main hurler).

I'm not sure if any of the other teams have played each other for a championship or not?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Well you've got at least one other "historical" option then, BCJ - the Tigers have played both St. Louis and the Padres for the World Series (the former happening in 1968, when the Tigers came back from a 3-1 defecit to beat the Cards who featured Bob Gibson as their main hurler).

I'm not sure if any of the other teams have played each other for a championship or not?
Well, now that the 4 teams are set, let's see:

Mets ('69 vs. Orioles, '73 vs. Mets, '86 vs. BoSox, '00 vs. Yanks)
Cards ('34 vs. Tigers, '82 vs. Brewers, '85 vs. Royals, '87 vs. Twins, '46 & '04 vs. BoSox, and apparently they played St. Louis in '44?)
A's (as Philly vs. Cards in '34, '72 vs. Reds, '73 vs. Mets, '74 vs. Dodgers, '88 vs. Dodgers, '89 vs. Giants, '90 vs. Reds)
Tigers ('34 vs. Cards, '84 vs. Pads)

So there are some (and I migth've missed a few, too).

Slicker
10-09-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm late coming in here but MEH!!!

I think we know what I'm gonna say and what team/forumite it's directed at. Nothing more to say.

*BTW, I'm gonna say EAT IT and it's directed at KH.

CaptainSolo1138
10-11-2006, 07:25 AM
*BTW, I'm gonna say EAT IT and it's directed at KH.I figured it'd be something along the lines of "buuuuuuuurn! i got u gud"? lol

I, sadly, couldn't watch the game and was totally shocked the next morning when I saw the paper!

And they're already off to a good start vs. the A's. Tonight they pitch Verlander and Friday Rogers. Is anyone hotter than the Tigers pitching staff right now?!?!?

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Is anyone hotter than the Tigers pitching staff right now?!?!?

Just Slickers mom

&Isobars

JetsAndHeels
10-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Sad, sad story here:

NEW YORK - A small plane with New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle aboard crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, killing at least four people and raining flaming debris on sidewalks, authorities said. There was no immediate confirmation Lidle was among the dead.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I think ESPN confirmed it. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860

Really sad.

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes a real sad story. I heard about the plane at work. But when I got home and clicked on my home page I saw it there and then turned to ESPNews.

RIP Corey.

Slicker
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Definitely an unfortunate event. It must've been his time though...

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 06:22 PM
So, did anyone else log onto a news site and see a headline to the effect of "Plane hits building in Manhattan," and there were no details yet, and you totally (figuratively speaking) carpped yourself?

JetsAndHeels
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
So, did anyone else log onto a news site and see a headline to the effect of "Plane hits building in Manhattan," and there were no details yet, and you totally (figuratively speaking) carpped yourself?

Yeah, and I am sure most of the people of NY thought it was another attack. What were the odds of another plane hitting a building?

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
More or less they didnt think that becuase of where it hit. It hit in a residential neighborhood, no businesses or big WTC type buildings around, I figured it when I heard the loaction of where it is that it wasnt an attack like that.

pbarnard
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, and I am sure most of the people of NY thought it was another attack. What were the odds of another plane hitting a building?

Pretty good considering a kid did it in Pittsburgh only a few months after 9/11. Also considering the the small plane traffic in most cities, suprised it doesn't happen more.

JetsAndHeels
10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Pretty good considering a kid did it in Pittsburgh only a few months after 9/11. Also considering the the small plane traffic in most cities, suprised it doesn't happen more.

Good point, however it had to have touched alot of nerves today being in NYC.

2-1B
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
cap + slick u guyz are so gr8 with ur tigerz stuff. kewl.

CaptainSolo1138
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
cap + slick u guyz are so gr8 with ur tigerz stuff. kewl.seezer i liek u becuz u make fun of captinsalo an slikr 2 i thenk they liek eech uthr an wana make babees

2-1B
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
r u seriuz caps cuz i wil text this 411 to all in studee haul

CaptainSolo1138
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
yes u kno i am seez. i saw tehm in a closet an they wur kising an i dont knwo wear all ther hands wer an i thenk i slikr was reeding a bible cuz he kep sayin o god

2-1B
10-11-2006, 10:05 PM
i think detroyt tigrz r like in love or sumthin with the As cuz they are blowing them with there leed 2nite

Slicker
10-12-2006, 08:24 AM
They didn't blow anything. They DOMINATED!!! and now they're up 2-0 in the series!

BTW, it appears that someone FINALLY found a certain site.

2-1B
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
slickz who iz that sum 1 ? yes thay wer blowing the leed but they held on 2 frank ro's bat atempt

CaptainSolo1138
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Do you think the Nat's will give me the $70 million Soriano doesn't want?

bi teh way ceezer i liek ur signicher it is kewl an i thenk evry hoem shud hav 1

JetsAndHeels
10-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Mets up 1-0 on the cards!!
Word up, b**ches.

Slicker
10-13-2006, 08:31 AM
I figured I'd switch my tar and go with the bro and have the old english D.

JimJamBonds
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
FYI game time has been moved up due to weather, its now starting at 3:30. (cst)

pbarnard
10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
FYI game time has been moved up due to weather, its now starting at 3:30. (cst)

That's the Official MLB line. How much of it is Fox and MLB not wanting any competition for a New York market team? In sports there is a media bias, to NYC.

CaptainSolo1138
10-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Or maybe it's just the below freezing temps after the sun sets. Why is everything a conspiracy?

pbarnard
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Or maybe it's just the below freezing temps after the sun sets. Why is everything a conspiracy?

This comes from ESPNRadio, specifically the Dan Patrick Show (hour 2 Big Show w/Keith Olberman). Plus why not move the Game 1 of the NLCS up with reports of rain in the evening when it was calmer earlier than day?

CaptainSolo1138
10-13-2006, 09:45 PM
It's not that you don't make a valid point, I just don't see why FOX wouldn't have just come right out and announced that that was the reasoning.

On the other hand, anything Dan Patrick says is gold, so maybe I'm the one who's wrong. :D

2-1B
10-13-2006, 10:33 PM
The NFL does it all the time, shifting games from noon to 3 as the season goes on and the matchups look more attractive...

caps wut iz a cunspeera c ?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Mets up 1-0 on the cards!!
Word up, (persons of a certain quality).Mets and Cards knotted up at 1-1!! Word up, shiny happy people.

I am rooting for a I-Don't-Even-Collect-the-Cards-But/'Cause-Tiggers-Love-To-Bounce series, with it going se7en games. And the winner will be... decided in a 24-inning marathon with a pitcher (yes, even in the AL team's ballpark) getting the winning hit.

I just can't wait for the Silver Slugger, Executive of the Year, and Comeback Player OTY Awards; forget this "playoff" stuff. :o :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
:yes:YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH H!:yes:

pbarnard
10-14-2006, 07:27 PM

And just think, 3 years ago, Mike Illitch and Dave Dombrowski were voted the worst owner and general manager in all of sports (and the best) as owners of the Tigers and Red Wings.

Makes me want to say Pizza Pizza!

2-1B
10-15-2006, 08:34 AM

Was that a Lando Calrissian yell ? If so, my reply would be the Nien Nunb laughing sound. lol lol lol

And hey, shouldn't you be out starting fires and looting ? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Was that a Lando Calrissian yell ? If so, my reply would be the Nien Nunb laughing sound. lol lol lol

And hey, shouldn't you be out starting fires and looting ? :confused:Just hope it's not Han's Death Star corridor whoop where there's a dead end! :eek: I heard that proper burning and looting comes after a) a World Series title, b) losing in a World Series, or c) winning or losing in some other distinction. So, there's some time left to plan. :rolleyes:

But congrats to all the Dee-troit fans out there. Only the Pirates have been worse for a longer stretch of time lately. :Pirate: But just you wait! Arr! :Pirate:

CaptainSolo1138
10-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Actually it was more like Jay fro "Clerks", when Randel informs the lady who insisted he was listening that she wasn't allowed to ren there any more. :thumbsup:

Whoever is unlucky enough to win the NL is gonna have a tough road to hoe with the Tigers. They've won seven straight, the Tigers aren't DH dependent, and at some point they're gonna have to face Kenny Rogers.

jjreason
10-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Man, the only thing missing was a little stress - but at least the last game was a close one. Magglio really bucked up today, and now we've got a full week to rest while the NLers sort their crap out. CS said it right, whichever team comes out of that series is at a big time disadvantage. Our pitching is just lights out right now.

2-1B
10-15-2006, 01:56 PM
they're gonna have to face Kenny Rogers.

and his Roasters.

Kidhuman
10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Resting is not a good thing. It can throw the pitchers out of whack with too much rest. The opposing team is still on point with hitting. Remember the 04 series, Boston came out sweeping the Cards whom were off for a week.

pbarnard
10-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Difference is Cardinal pitching didn't have guys who average 95 mph +/- 3 mph. Power pitching always wins in the end.