PDA

View Full Version : Figuratively Speaking - My Star Wars parody movie

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Figuratively Speaking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFgDxzpe9Q) - watch it!

This is my stop-motion movie that I made with figures. I did most of the voices, but my friend did the voiceovers for the Jedagra and Under the Music commercials. I'm mailing off the submission to the SW Fan Film Awards tomorrow to see what they think of it. I realize that the image and sound quality isn't fantastic, but this is just the screener copy for now.

Kidhuman
05-21-2006, 05:49 PM
That is damn funny. I loved the Anakin/Dooku/Palpy scene.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2006, 11:32 PM
That was my favorite segment of the film, too. I left some uncensored praise on your myspace, Lindquist.

mabudonicus
05-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Impressive, man, most impressive...

Obviously with music and a bit sharper editing it'll be much "smoother" but even in this working form it's fun.
The voices are SLICK, the stop-motion (in many instances) is REALLY well done (you'll be underwhelmed by this aspect of our stuff, too, I tend to go more for "limited animation" coupled with real-time movements and a lot more hand-shot style closeups) my fave being the Shocktrooper or maybe Vader raising his arms.. and luke on Hoth looks pretty damn good too..

My fave comedy-beat is the "added" hoth scene tho, where Obi comes back to wrap up the last "unadressed" plot point between the films

Good Work man, really fun, can't wait to see the "finished" version :beard:

JimJamBonds
05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Nice work there JJL!:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who's seen it!

Impressive, man, most impressive...

Obviously with music and a bit sharper editing it'll be much "smoother" but even in this working form it's fun.
The voices are SLICK, the stop-motion (in many instances) is REALLY well done (you'll be underwhelmed by this aspect of our stuff, too, I tend to go more for "limited animation" coupled with real-time movements and a lot more hand-shot style closeups) my fave being the Shocktrooper or maybe Vader raising his arms.. and luke on Hoth looks pretty damn good too..

My fave comedy-beat is the "added" hoth scene tho, where Obi comes back to wrap up the last "unadressed" plot point between the films

Good Work man, really fun, can't wait to see the "finished" version :beard:
Well, due to legal reasons, I'm not allowed to use any copyrighted music in this competition (Star Wars or otherwise), and there's no way I could write any that would fit. I'm thinking that I'll eventually go back and add in music and some other scenes just to make it a little more "finished," but for the time being it's got to be without music.

If they want to use it in the competition, there are a few slight tweaks that I want to do (shorter shot of the Ewok before he attacks the trooper, longer shot of Obi-Wan on Dagobah since some of his dialogue overlaps onto the shot of Luke). Are there any others you think I should do?

Also, I'm not allowed to use any copyrighted logos, and I was originally going to have "Star Wars" in the border of the title shot, but I removed it for the time being to avoid any problems.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Well done. That's something I've always thought of doing if I had the equipment and the skills. Unfortunately, I have neither.

I was just glad that the movie played decently for me. Any other time I've tried to watch something on that site, the audio was way ahead of the video and the movie ended when the audio was done. Everything seemed to be in time on this one.

plasticfetish
05-23-2006, 05:30 AM
Really nice John! Even with the low quality of that copy, your stop motion and the way you've set up your shots looks great.

Well, due to legal reasons, I'm not allowed to use any copyrighted music in this competition (Star Wars or otherwise), and there's no way I could write any that would fit.You should consider just doing the John Carpenter thing -- twiddling along on a synthesizer. The great thing you've got going is that it can be silly.

Are there any others you think I should do?You might think about your transitions between scenes a little. Make them more pronounced. I'd ape Lucas himself and use a variety of wipes.

Also, I'm not allowed to use any copyrighted logos, and I was originally going to have "Star Wars" in the border of the title shot, but I removed it for the time being to avoid any problems.You don't need 'em. Just stick to your own made up or parody graphics and logos. (Think... Hardware Wars.)

Good stuff man. Right on!

mabudonicus
05-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Ahh didn't know you were soliciting feedback

For the transitions/incidental music, what PF mentioned is fine, or you could just grab some kind of funk and put little stingers of it in, OR you could maybe use a "seinfeld style" quick bass-riff or something (which would work due to the "joke/punchline" nature of the scenes themselves

And I would echo PF's suggestion to rip of the wipes from GL, heck, easiest transition to apply (a star wipe would be especially funny if used sparingly)

Your idea to tighten up the ewok shot is a good one too, tighter is better in short films

When's the deadline?? I would have a production meeting with you on AIM if ya like, I'm mabudon2 so add me and we might meet up, I have a few more difficult-to-explain ideas for it that you may or may not want
:beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

You might think about your transitions between scenes a little. Make them more pronounced. I'd ape Lucas himself and use a variety of wipes.
Originally, I had planned to have one or two scenes in which I used wipes such as those to indicate the passing of time (the Dagobah scene was longer; there was a scene of Anakin killing Neimoidians after talking to Palps on Coruscant; there was a flashback of Grievous). So, to avoid confusion, I made them the plain black ones they are now, and they also provide a bit of breathing time between the scenes. But, since those scenes were cut, I think I may go back and do what you've mentioned (the program I used has a ton of different wipes), and make the opening and closing shots of the scenes a little longer for the "breathing room" (not much, though).

For the music, the progam also has a lot of songs that are supposedly not copyrighted . . . I haven't listened to any of them for about a year so I really don't know what they are. I even thought about doing slight variations on the opening and closing themes by "playing my nose," making high-pitched sounds and things like that. However, I thought that, even here, that's a little bizarre. I might try it later to see how it works.

The Ewok scene was the last one I finished, but I was rushing like mad to get it done in time . . . I originally planned to have the stormtrooper screaming and crying before and after he's attacked, then I decided to go with the Wilhelm and forgot to trim the start of that scene. The Wilhelm didn't match up like I wanted so I may indeed just rework the screaming a little.

The deadline to get the submission form in was today at 12 noon in California. I first thought it said it had to be postmarked by then, so we sent it off yesterday via USPS. Thankfully I noticed the difference on the AtomFilms site shortly thereafter and was able to FedEx another copy to them just in time; I guess it got there around 10:30 this morning. Cuttin' it close. :D Though I have to think that if it arrives a little after 12 they won't care much.

Anyway, for the time being, the version you've seen is the version they'll see (I assume they realize it's a low-rez version . . . if it's accepted I'll have to make a bigger file for the master copy, with some of the changes listed above). I don't want to change it too much, though, in case they disqualify me or something because of it.

My AIM name is GeneralGrievousL; you're on my buddy list but you're not online right now . . .

Anywho, I've been thinking of a ton of scenes for sequels (I might do one or two more and then stop so as not to overdo it) . . . I'll definitely use the feedback for those, at least.

Rocketboy
05-23-2006, 09:13 PM
And I would echo PF's suggestion to rip of the wipes from GL, heck, easiest transition to apply (a star wipe would be especially funny if used sparingly)And I say nothin' but STAR WIPES!

(and MrJJL - love that avatar and sig, but the last line is "see a doctor and get rid of it"! :thumbsup:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2006, 08:08 PM
(and MrJJL - love that avatar and sig, but the last line is "see a doctor and get rid of it"! )
D'oh! I'll change it immediately.

Luuuuuuke
05-26-2006, 08:32 PM
It cracked me up.. even though the sound on my computer didn't work at all. I can only imagine how funny it would have been if I could actually hear anything:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
So, here's the deal: I didn't win anything from AtomFilms, which, I'm thinking, was due largely in part with the fact that I FedEx'd the submission form the day before the deadline and I don't think it got there in time. So, I'm going to re-edit the movie and add in some new stuff, as well as take out some of the parts that I wasn't too happy with (the death sticks scene, for example). Then I'll re-submit it for next year's contest.

Which parts should I cut, and which ones should I keep? Any help here would be hot.

Kidhuman
06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Keep the part about the absolutes and the Dooku one too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks KH, sounds like a plan.

Hey, wait! Here it is! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDx801nuENg) The epic film event we've all been waiting for! This is the final version, and hopefully the sound worked on YouTube, since something was a little off when I started loading it.

Anyway, I like it a lot better than the first one. It has a few new scenes, but it's mostly a souped-up version of the old one with some new dialogue here and there, and now with music and whatnot.

jjreason
04-29-2007, 09:26 AM
It won't roll for me very well today, MrJJL, I'll have to take a look at it when I'm up late one night. YouTube often jams up on me on the weekends. :upset:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
It kept stalling during the opening scroll, but worked fine after that.

mabudonicus
04-29-2007, 11:48 AM
YouTube often jams up on me on the weekends.
We didn't need to know that, JJ.....

OH you meant the SITE, sorry, nevermind :D

I'm gonna watch this bad boy at my buddies place in a few hours, my PC and the 'tube aren't very good friends either
:beard: Iso & Baws
SenorJJL really digs Pink Floyd

jjreason
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I clicked the link from the dirty place and it worked much better. Good stuff all around, great animation. The figures looked surprisingly good - that's a GREAT Palpatine sculpt.

General_Grievous
04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
The final scene with Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan was hilarious. :D

Brilliant job, John! :thumbsup:

kool-aid killer
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey, have you considered putting your film in this competition:

http://mtvmovieawards.yahoo.com/

I think you might have a contender.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey, have you considered putting your film in this competition:

http://mtvmovieawards.yahoo.com/

I think you might have a contender.
Thanks! Unfortunately, they won't accept Star Wars spoofs, just ones based on movies from their list. I can't wait to see all the zany parodies of "Code Name: The Cleaner." :rolleyes:

After finally watching it on YouTube, I noticed that the sound is indeed disconnected from the picture, which isn't how it is on the file on my computer. Oh well.