PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
To continue the thread we had both here before and over on SWC, I have found the link to the international SR preview. It has some things we have seen before, along with some things we have not. All in all it is a great preview...and be sure to check the scene at the end..all I will say is it is very eye opening.

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/uk/movies/supermanreturns/superman_returns_tlrf3_qt_500.mov

2-1B
05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey JHeelz, yesterday at the cinema I bought a large soda and it came in a collectible Supes cup. Neat. :)

How many days now ? :D

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Only 39 days Caesar!!
I will keep an eye out for that cup...maybe at xmen next week.

Rocketboy
05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
The more I see of Superman Returns, the more I'm looking forward to it.
In that new trailer it almost seems as if Kevin Spacey is channeling Gene Hackman even moreso than Brandon Routh is Christopher Reeve (as Clark).

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I feel the same way about Spacey making me think of Hackman's performance. If that's the effect they were going for, I think they may have nailed it.

JetsAndHeels
05-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I hear ya guys.
I think I may go see this one too.

Darth Instigator
05-23-2006, 10:36 PM
looks good I cant wait

Rocketboy
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Superman Returns will be opening 2 days earlier, June 28.

Superman Returns Opening Two Days Earlier

ComingSoon.net has learned that Warner Bros (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761#). Pictures will release Superman Returns (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=4666) two days earlier on June 28, a Wednesday. It gives the Bryan Singer-directed comic book (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761#) adaptation two more days to collect box office before Disney's (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761#) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=6175) opens on July 7.

Meanwhile, WB has also moved up animated (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761#) comedy The Ant Bully (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=10466) a week to July 28, presumably because Paramount Pictures (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761#) has pushed back Steve Oedekerk's Barnyard (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=6329) a week to August 4.

Also, WB will no longer release Brad Pitt's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11130) on September 15 and is now looking for a date in 2007.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14761

El Chuxter
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
So this throws off all of J&H's post padding. :p

Rocketboy
05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I was going to put up a new countdown number...but I never learned how to count.

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Yay!! 2 less days of me having to wait!!

check out the latest preview (#4 in my sig) if you havent seen it yet!!

Rocketboy
05-31-2006, 09:28 PM
And yet another day earlier...with a Spider-man 3 teaser!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14782

JetsAndHeels
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes!!
One less day for me to have to wait and countdown...The way I see it, in about another week we will only have to wait about 2 more days if Singer keeps moving it up!!
Thanks Bryan, I knew all those calls I made to your cell phone would pay off!! :D

2-1B
06-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey Jango&Heels, guess what....the new Superman movie comes out THIS MONTH ! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
That's absolutely correct Caesar.
It is now June, official month of Superman!!
let the celebration begin

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Supposedly they're doing this because WB wants to get max audience before Pirates of the Carribean 2 comes out on July 7th. I wouldn't think they'd really be hurting that much, fear seems like an odd motivation.

DarkArtist
06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm a big superman fan. been waiting for this movie since it was rumored back .in 97. can't wait to see Superman fly again on the big screen.:thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Im really wondering now..do I want to fight the crowds and see this or wait for the dvd

2-1B
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
You're hilarious. lol

Darth Instigator
06-02-2006, 08:52 AM
wait for the DVD, I absolutely hate the movie theatres these days. No one from the company observes the behavior of the "kids" that are allowed to go there for the night and it is never clean plus it is way too expensive! $18 for 2 drinks, a medium popcorn and nachos with cheese. Its ridiculous

2-1B
06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Can't you go 2 hours without overpriced drinks and snacks ? :confused:

darthvyn
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Supposedly they're doing this because WB wants to get max audience before Pirates of the Carribean 2 comes out on July 7th. I wouldn't think they'd really be hurting that much, fear seems like an odd motivation.

i bet it's that, and they want to try and get more money than x-men 3.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Im really wondering now..do I want to fight the crowds and see this or wait for the dvd

Haha, what a loser!!
Only 26 days

Darth Instigator
06-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Can't you go 2 hours without overpriced drinks and snacks ? :confused:
thats like going to the carnival and not playing the overpriced, guaranteed loser games of chance, and when you do win it was probably cheaper to buy the stuffed animal you never wanted anyway. Its all about nostalgia man

Rocketboy
06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Do like always do - bring your own drink and snack.
That's what pockets are for.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 01:32 AM
What you really want to do J&H is go to your mall and see it in the smallest, most, cramped, horrible little multiplex theater they have there. :p

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2006, 10:16 AM
What you really want to do J&H is go to your mall and see it in the smallest, most, cramped, horrible little multiplex theater they have there. :p

Haha, no sir!! Its the regular theater for me then a showing at the IMAX!!
Followed by more showings...
followed by more!!

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Now lets play the official "favorite quote from the movie" game!!

I will start it off:

Kitty Kowalksi: "Lex, you're not a God."

Lex Luthor: "Gods are selfish beings who fly around in little red capes and don't share their power with mankind."

2-1B
06-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Heelz, I'll be seeing it on the UltraScreen up here and I'll HAVE to do it opening weekend because Pirates 2 comes out the next week and will definitely bump Supes from the Ultra. :)

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Shoot, I just want to see it ASAP. And seeing Venom before it won't hurt.

"I want to eat your brain!!"

Yeah, Venom had better say that in the trailer.

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Lex Luthor: "To think that one could create a new world from such a super little object...."

Kitty Kowalksi: "Wow, that's really something Lex."

Lex Luthor: "Wait for it......"

2-1B
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Chux, they're making a Venom movie? :confused:

Rocketboy
06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Shoot, I just want to see it ASAP. And seeing Venom before it won't hurt.

"I want to eat your brain!!"

Yeah, Venom had better say that in the trailer.Can't find it, but I thought I read that Venom will not be in the trailer.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Chux, they're making a Venom movie? :confused:

They're making a Spider-Man movie.

2-1B
06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh. Yeah. :nerv: I forgot about Spiderman 3 coming out next year. :nerv:
It IS next year, right? lol

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2006, 11:30 PM
In case anyone didn't notice, the title of this thread is Superman Returns.
Please take any other "hero" talk to another thread.
Thank you.
:D

2-1B
06-03-2006, 11:42 PM
If it makes you feel any better JangyHeels, I thought the first Spider-Man was very poor and the second one was an improvement but nothing great. I think Supes can hold his own here. :crazed:

How many more days ? lol

JetsAndHeels
06-04-2006, 12:00 AM
24 days Caesar!!
Its june man so im feelin super!!

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Damn right the Spider-Man films have been okay but nothing great like Batman Begins!

That's right, no Superman talk from me in this post. I'm the mod, I'll do what I want. :yes:

JetsAndHeels
06-04-2006, 09:18 AM
That's right, no Superman talk from me in this post. I'm the mod, I'll do what I want. :yes:

Mod or no mod...I have advanced alien technology. Thousands of years beyond what anyone can throw at me.

But millions of people will die!!

BILLIONS!!
HAHA
:D

Rocketboy
06-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Damn right the Spider-Man films have been okay but nothing great like Batman Begins!

That's right, no Superman talk from me in this post. I'm the mod, I'll do what I want. :yes:Except for that mention...right?

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2006, 10:43 AM
It was late when I typed that. The spirit in which I typed that post is what matters. There, I just went a post without saying that name.

El Chuxter
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm looking forward to Superman Returns anyway, J&H, Venom or no Venom. And from what DiaRocketboy says, it's no Venom. But still a Luthor. That's a pretty even trade in my book.

General_Grievous
06-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Even though Spider-Man had the Green Goblin Power Ranger, that's nothing compared to the lame acting of Katie Holmes and the crappy close-up fight scenes in Batman Begins. Spidey all the way.

Now on to Supes. I have REALLY HIGH expectations for this movie after seeing the last two trailers. Normally, I'm not a Superman fanatic, but I liked the 1978 movie and I loved Superman II so I guess I won't have a problem liking this one. I better reserve tickets to an IMAX showing. I read that there'll be about 15 minutes of 3D in the IMAX version. The cast looks real good, especially Kevin Spacey as Luthor. (But why is Lex's girlfriend dressed like it's the 1930's when it takes place in modern times?) I'm glad they pushed the release date up so I can squeeze in a few more showings before I see Pirates of the Carribean 2. On another Supes note, when are the DVD special editions of the first two movies supposed to hit?

BTW, will the Spider-Man 3 trailer be shown in the IMAX version?

JediTricks
06-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Does IMAX even have trailers? I don't remember any with AOTC IMAX.

scruffziller
06-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I am skeptical of the greatness of this movie. The full trailer showed some really cheesy acting. The teaser made it look more magnificent.

Rocketboy
06-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Does IMAX even have trailers? I don't remember any with AOTC IMAX.I saw an IMAX movie a few weeks ago and they showed trailer for upcoming IMAX films.
So unless Spidey 3 will be in IMAX also, then I doubt it.

darthvyn
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
So unless Spidey 3 will be in IMAX also, then I doubt it.

holy crap, i would definitely see that..

Rocketboy
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
holy crap, i would definitely see that..That's what I was thinking as I typed that.
Oooh!
IMAX 3D would be better than bIZZARO sLICKER'S mOM!!!

JetsAndHeels
06-08-2006, 07:05 PM
20 days folks.

20 days.

Rocketboy
06-08-2006, 10:35 PM
In case anyone was wondering, take it easy on your drink - Running time: 2 hours 33 minutes.

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2006, 10:19 AM
You tube has some various clips and tv spots from the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imF8aMxUE9Y

figrin bran
06-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Heels, at my local 7-11, i saw these bags of Guacamole "Kryptonite" Doritos. beware of these at your local convenience stores/grocery stores!

JetsAndHeels
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Heels, at my local 7-11, i saw these bags of Guacamole "Kryptonite" Doritos. beware of these at your local convenience stores/grocery stores!

I saw these too, and unfortunately when I got close to them on the display I got very weak and felt sick...needless to say the store clerk had to call a paramedic to get me out of there. :D

JetsAndHeels
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Here are 11 clips from the actual movie!! Enjoy, I know I am!!

http://www.iesb.net/warnerbros2006/061306.php

2-1B
06-15-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm not saying this to fan any flames so please don't get me wrong, just observing that on Conan O'Brien he said that some of the early reviewers are saying that Superman comes across as "gay" in the new movie...

Devo
06-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I love the music in those clips, even the non-Williams bits sound good!! And just as I'd hoped they've used the Superman theme at appropriate moments within the film itself rather than just playing it over the end credits. Terminator 3 sucked, among many other reasons, because of A) a crappy orchestral rendering of the Terminator theme and B) it was only played in the end credits at that. With Superman though they seem to have nailed the music.

My favourite clips were the plane rescue (this looks like it may be one of the great superhero movie sequences), 'unidentified bogie', the fax, and 'I love that he can see through anything'.

Possible downers - Bosworth wouldn't have been my choice for Lois, I think Erica Durance is brilliant in Smallville, suppose they couldn't get away with using her and not Tom Welling though. Although, obviously I haven't seen the film yet so...

Some of Rouths clips - his talking scenes as Superman and his scene with Martha Kent - he perhaps seemed a bit stiff in his line delivery. Although, again, I haven't seen the film. As with Bosworth, his performance as a whole could be good. He definitely looks proper in the role.

The Lex Luthor 'prometheus' clip reminded somewhat of Michael Rosenbaums Lex. This is a good thing. Hackman's Lex was good for what it was at the time but it just wouldn't work in a modern Superhero film.

General_Grievous
06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the clips, J&H. I think Routh will be okay as Supes but of course, he's no Christopher Reeve. However, I do think Spacey's Luthor is way better than Gene Hackman's. I think Kate Bosworth will be a good Lois Lane, even though she looks too young to be a mother. But then again, Margot Kidder was good as Lois, but she looked old enough to be Superman's mom.

BTW, I've caught the Superman bug. I've been impulse buying stuff like the first two Superman movies on DVD, the Superman to Clark action figure for my desk, the official movie guide, and the visual guide for the movie. I really do think that this will be the defining comic book movie.

JediTricks
06-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm not saying this to fan any flames so please don't get me wrong, just observing that on Conan O'Brien he said that some of the early reviewers are saying that Superman comes across as "gay" in the new movie...Yeah, not fanning any flames at all. ;) The only review I've heard so far said that the movie was "good, but not great" and that it tried too hard to be respectful of the first 2 movies which watered the new film down to less interesting stuff, and that Routh was buyable as Supes but trying too hard as Clark which undermined the performance.

JetsAndHeels
06-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the clips, J&H. I think Routh will be okay as Supes but of course, he's no Christopher Reeve. However, I do think Spacey's Luthor is way better than Gene Hackman's. I think Kate Bosworth will be a good Lois Lane, even though she looks too young to be a mother. But then again, Margot Kidder was good as Lois, but she looked old enough to be Superman's mom.

BTW, I've caught the Superman bug. I've been impulse buying stuff like the first two Superman movies on DVD, the Superman to Clark action figure for my desk, the official movie guide, and the visual guide for the movie. I really do think that this will be the defining comic book movie.

Thank you GG. I thought people here would enjoy the clips as they are pretty nice and show some good points in the film.
Having said that, I am probably going to be banned from the site now due to some things in another thread, but I hope everyone who sees the film enjoys it.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Not banned unless you posted even more that hasn't crossed mod eyes yet, which I doubt.

Anyway, IESB.net put up the videos on YouTube if their site isn't answering fast enough (which for me, it wasn't):
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=daveuk64

I didn't realize Cyclops was in this movie! Now we know the REAL reason he was killed off in Xmen3 so quickly and lamely. :p

2-1B
06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Yeah, not fanning any flames at all. ;) The only review I've heard so far said that the movie was "good, but not great" and that it tried too hard to be respectful of the first 2 movies which watered the new film down to less interesting stuff, and that Routh was buyable as Supes but trying too hard as Clark which undermined the performance.

WTF are you talking about, JT ? :rolleyes:

Christ, I mentioned the flames thing since it had ALREADY :thumbsup: been brought up in this thread before (or maybe the SWC linked version) and I am honestly bothered at the thought of having to listen to stupid "Superman is gay" nonsense from people all summer long, IF INDEED CONAN'S REPORT IS TRUE. :stupid:

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 03:22 AM
WTF are you talking about, JT ? :rolleyes:I was referring to a review I saw on AICN a few days ago, the first actual review at the time I had seen anywhere, I thought Harry had one too but the fat **** only put up a review of a Superman documentary that he had a nice fat juicy sponsor link with (since then they've added some more reviews, all squealing with excitement).

Christ, I mentioned the flames thing since it had ALREADY :thumbsup: been brought up in this thread before (or maybe the SWC linked version) and I am honestly bothered at the thought of having to listen to stupid "Superman is gay" nonsense from people all summer long, IF INDEED CONAN'S REPORT IS TRUE. :stupid:Oooohhhhhh! I thought you meant fanning the flames by reporting on bad reviews, not that gay thing. IMO, it's gonna be a dead issue on June 29th, I haven't seen reference to it in weeks. From the clips IESB put up, seems like Routh doesn't come off gay, just "sensitive and caring, in-touch-with-his-feelings man" (who talks through his nose all the time).

You know who I think comes off bad in all the clips so far? Lois Lane, not talking about the actress' age this time nor the performance really, I mean the way the character is written, could Lois *be* any more bitter without becoming a supervillain? That article about "why the world doesn't need Superman", all her dialogue, her sneering every time they talk about Supes, it seems way over the top to me, very 1-note. I know that Superman left her and the planet *MAJOR SPOILER - SPOILERIZED TEXT* right before she discovered she was pregnant with his baby *END SPOILER* but come on now, this looks like a bit much, is someone behind the camera projecting their issues with women or something?

2-1B
06-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Oooohhhhhh! I thought you meant fanning the flames by reporting on bad reviews, not that gay thing. IMO, it's gonna be a dead issue on June 29th, I haven't seen reference to it in weeks. From the clips IESB put up, seems like Routh doesn't come off gay, just "sensitive and caring, in-touch-with-his-feelings man" (who talks through his nose all the time).

Cool, I gottcha. :)

I just meant that I didn't want you guys to think I was pointing out the "gay" thing as a way for me to poke at the movie for indeed being "gay", if that makes sense...when I heard Conan say that some reviewers are saying Supes comes across as gay, I first assumed THAT was the joke but then he had an actual punchline for it so I thought he was citing some real reviews (I don't know, I haven't read anything yet myself).

I hope you're right though about it being a dead issue. :)

Harry Knowles? :confused: I have no comment. :D

Jayspawn
06-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Well I'm relieved to hear that they are re-scoring the John Williams music for Returns. I'll pick up the soundtrack after I see the movie and if I like the sound.

Brandon Routh is sporting the cover of Entertainment Weekly this week. The Superman article is a pretty good read.

JetsAndHeels
06-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Counting it down folks....8 days and some change...

Oh and tomorrow is the big Superman dvd day!! I am going to be at Best Buy at opening to buy the goodies!! Going to get season 3 of Lois & Clark, vol 3 of the animated series, and the superman documentary!!
Best Buy is advertising free exclusive comics with the purchase of these so I am all about that!!

figrin bran
06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
don't forget that Justice League season 2 comes out tomorrow as well!

JetsAndHeels
06-19-2006, 11:12 PM
don't forget that Justice League season 2 comes out tomorrow as well!

You are right, I just didn't mention it because I skipped on season 1 due to its higher pricetag.
Anyway I went into WalMart today on my break from work and they had put out the superman dvds that are slated for tomorrow. I got the superman documentary and left the others behind...I want to buy those at Best Buy so I can get my exclusive comic.

2-1B
06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Here we go again JT, Colbert tonight showed a montaged of different media outlets "reporting" on the orientation thing of Supes. :(

El Chuxter
06-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up. An hour & twenty to go; I have to make sure I stay awake for that.

I loathe Best Buy and wouldn't pee on one if it was on fire, but I may have to get their exclusive version of the Superman documentary. I hate when stores that suck get exclusives I want. (Cough, Marvel Legends Giant Man.)

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I loathe Best Buy and wouldn't pee on one if it was on fire, but I may have to get their exclusive version of the Superman documentary. I hate when stores that suck get exclusives I want. (Cough, Marvel Legends Giant Man.)

Yeah I am taking back my copy of the documentary to WalMart and getting the exclusive one at Best Buy...lots of special goodies in their version!!

JediTricks
06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Singer May Add More 3-D Footage to 'Superman Returns'

Director Bryan Singer may add footage to the IMAX version of Superman Returns to take advantage of the 3-D process being employed in the giant-screen prints. (About 20 minutes of scenes are in 3-D.) Singer told today's (Tuesday) Los Angeles Times that he is considering restoring some footage at the beginning of the film showing Superman on the gutted planet Krypton. The Times observed that all of the 3-D scenes were created digitally in post production and that some persons attending a Los Angeles screening "were put off by a distracting blurring effect that crops up when the action crosses the screen at high speed." Nevertheless, the newspaper commented, some sequences "have an undeniable gee-whiz factor."

Source: IMDB.com news

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Lex has taken over the Superman Returns site. Enjoy. http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

and i giggled at his wallpapers. Kinda silly, but fun! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Lex has taken over the Superman Returns site. Enjoy. http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

and i giggled at his wallpapers. Kinda silly, but fun! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that really did a number to my myspace page since my background was from the SR site. Since my page ended up saying "Superman DIE!!" I changed it immediately.

Jayspawn
06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Just a few days away! WOOHOO!

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 12:14 PM
I saw Look, Up in the Sky! last night. It was pretty good, but not what it could've been. It was funny how they continually mentioned sales dropping in recent years. Hello? Going from the #1 comic in America to the #25 comic, when there are over a thousand new comics coming out each month, and you're still selling roughly the same amount, it isn't a devastating loss.

I also don't recall anyone being disappointed or angry over Superman's engagement. Everyone I knew then, or have known since, thought it was about bloody time.

They made Julius Schwartz seem like a bad guy who didn't like Superman, which is totally the opposite of everything else I've ever read or heard. If not for him, there may be no Superman today.

"The Death of Superman" was supposed to be no big deal, and DC didn't expect it to sell that well or be big news? WTF? I guess that explains why two different covers, a print run that is still the largest for any non-debut issue of any comic, and an almost immediate second printing.

Superman had several costume changes over the past several years (none of them permanent). A mention of those might've been nice. Even just a voice-over saying, "During the 90s, Superman wore many new costumes" while mullet Superman, black costume Superman, and Superman Red & Superman Blue flashed onscreen.

Nice to know that Superman: The Animated Series came totally out of a vacuum and was solely responsible for Justice League. Acknowledging the fact that it was a direct result of (and used the same visual style of) the wildly successful Batman: The Animated Series would've been nice.

The fact that Smallville got more time in the documentary than Siegel and Schuster was troubling, especially since there was no mention of how badly they were screwed over by DC, and how they and their heirs had to fight tooth and nail in court for decades to get some semblance of compensation.

Overall, it was a documentary about a comic book character that downplayed the comic book, which is unfortunate. Other than that, a pretty solid documentary. I wish I'd seen it on TV instead of buying it, though.

darthvyn
06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, that really did a number to my myspace page since my background was from the SR site. Since my page ended up saying "Superman DIE!!" I changed it immediately.

oh, the hotlinker's lament... i should start a guerilla camaign on all the myspace users hotlinking to images on my site... changing the filenames of the images i use, and then creating "dummy" images that say rude disgusting offensive things... that would be awesome...

anyway, now that i've read a description of the spider-man 3 teaser playing before this "superman" thing, i'm really excited! :D

Rocketboy
06-25-2006, 10:49 PM
oh, the hotlinker's lament... i should start a guerilla camaign on all the myspace users hotlinking to images on my site... changing the filenames of the images i use, and then creating "dummy" images that say rude disgusting offensive things... that would be awesome...You should make them really disgusting, like pics of Slicker's mom.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Or it could just be text that says "Insert Slicker's Mom here!"

JON9000
06-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Or it could just be text that says "Insert Slicker's Mom here!"

sorry, I just can't post such inappropriateness!!!

jjreason
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
The girl that works at my comic shop saw a premiere screening on the weekend - she was pretty impressed. I'm pumped about the movie, but nearly drooling about the Spider-Man 3 trailer that's supposed to be attached to it.

darthvyn
06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
so who's got their tix for tonight? i'm seeing it at 10pm... i guess they figure "if it's after midnight by the time it's OVER it'll be okay..."

really pushing it, though...

El Chuxter
06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm going tomorrow. I'm too old to see midnight screenings anymore. :)

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
It's a 10pm screening here also, gramps.

figrin bran
06-27-2006, 10:46 AM
i have a free ticket that was included in the Justice League Season 2 DVD set but i probably won't be able to go see it until saturday or sunday

DarkArtist
06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Seeing it tommorrow at the mall. Can't wait. The hopes of seeing a Spidey trailer attached on to it is also an added bonus.

darko666
06-27-2006, 06:03 PM
got my ticket for tonight at 10 pm. def looking forward to seeing the man in blue kick some butt. like DarkArtist said, the Spider-Man 3 trailer is an added bonus, granted i have watched it a bunch of times on quicktime. but it will be cool to see on the big screen.

Rocketboy
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm too tired to post much, but SR was awesome. Batman Begins was better.
I was left wanting a bigger, more exciting climax, but it was awesome nonetheless.

darko666
06-28-2006, 12:33 AM
SR was awesome.

agreed.

i enjoyed the movie from start to finish. the action was great, the characters played their parts well. Routh is a believable Superman, no matter what anyone says. Spacey was a good Luthor, but seemed to calm for his character. still enjoyable and doesn't take anything away from the perfomance, but he could have been a little more into it. but this is just my view on him.

the plane scene was exactly what i thought it would be and looked amazing on the big screen. speaking of effects, they are certainly leaps and bounds above previous movies with effects. the cg model or Routh, looked good, but you could tell in places where it was a cg double. but from working around cg characters, i know how hard it is to make a believable human on a computer. plus all his trademark powers were used in the movie
(cool breath, heat eyes, x-ray vision...)

there is also a nice little extra in the movie that will either make you happy or mad. i was happy and kinda figured it would happen. but it was cool when it did. the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

speaking of the crowd, they were actually silent and i didn't hear any cell phones which was a first. i'm looking forward to a sequel, which Singer said he has already signed up for, but has yet to have any form of script or ideas on what the film would be. i would like to see some Doomsday action though. one can wish.

10 out of 10. i haven't left a theater enjoying every scene in a movie in a long time.

Rocketboy
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
The more I think about it - the more I just liked it, not loved it.

Good:
Cast, especially Brandon Routh - phenomenal casting. He did enough to tell you it's the same Clark/Superman from Superman 1 & 2 and enough to add his own touches to the character.

Effects - With today's CG, this was no less than expected, maybe even a bit more.

Spider-man 3 - 11 months...11months...11months...

The Bad:
Lex's plot - Too corny and Saturday morning serial kind of stuff. How are people suppossed to pay for new land when milli...errr...billions are dead, especially when most of the dead are on one of the richest nations in the world?

Kitty - with all the shots of her looking so conflicted I expected her to do something more redeeming, rather than dropping the crystals. Speaking of which, are the crystals, with all of Krypton's secrets, gone forever or what?

The Climax - I know it's kind of hard for an almost impervious man to have a knock-down, drag-out, action-packed battle, but...throwing a rock into space? I'll bet it hit's Chewie in the head.

Overall, 7/10

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I saw a special premiere last night, and I thought it was great. Granted, I've never seen the other Superman movies or read the comics, so I'm not speaking from a "fan" point of view, but I thoroughly enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD . . .
I think my favorite scene was when he stood in front of the machine gun and the bullets flew off his chest, and then the guy shot Superman in the eye and the bullet crumpled; that was just damn cool. I also thought the fact that they showed him going "faster than a speeding bullet" was great. I also liked the nod to Gotham when the newscaster was talking about the blackout.

As far as Superman's son - was that in the comics?

Oh, and since it was some kind of preview/premiere, they only had a preview for Lady In The Water, which looks dumb as crap. I would've liked to have seen the trailer for Spider-Man 3 instead.

Tycho
06-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I think I'm going to be the first one to post that I was a bit disappointed.

Granted it was good.

I think Kevin Spacey was an excellent Lex Luthor by the way.

Brandon Routh conveyed Clark's signature warmth, but he didn't have to expause much. Tom Welling does so much better on Smallville.

Kate Bosworth (spelling) seemed way too young to be Lois Lane and the mother of a 5 year old.

But Smallville has done better stories for TV. (was that Krypto btw? Why didn't he use "superspeed" to play fetch with Clark and that baseball? That's what Superdogs do, don't they?)

The lady who played an older Martha Kent was good, too.

Why was she driving a 1940's truck though, owning a transistor radio (almost) and yet people in the movie had cell phones which we're prominant until like 1995 or around then?

I liked Lex and Kitty's exchange "Yes. Like sea monkeys, Dear." That was funny.

The airplane save in the ballpark captured all the magic that's Superman though. That was a great scene!

Pretty much, I might see this movie again - but it didn't pack the punch of everything Smallville has been building up towards. Lex finally kicking the crap out of Kent "Prison-Break-Style" was interesting to watch. After all that they've been through in the movies, their past, whatever version you believe, it came down to a "green light scene" with Lex and his thugs. (Hey, you know how they had tatoos? I though of that Smallville episode where the guys using Kryptonite tatoos could move through walls and when they were finally busted, Lex suggested he'd call on them when he needed some favors).

Oh, the long-hair wig Lex wore in one scene - was that a nod to Lionnel Luthor (his father on Smallville).

Before anyone says it, I know that these are two separate interpretations of Superman, I'm a total Smallville fan, and my mind's busy trying to rationalize them - but it can almost be done.

darthvyn
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
i think they had martha with all the lo-tech gear just to make you think they were doing the origin again... and that the wigs were a nod more to gene hackman who wouldn't shave his head for donner than lionel luthor (named after toy trains?)

i was actually a lot more impressed with routh than i thought i'd be. he really nailed it. of course he was doing his best christopher reeve impression, but still - it was really good!

"i hope this experience han't put you folks off of flying. statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel" - classic!

!*SPOILERS*!

so, is the super-boy vulnerable to kryptonite? he didn't seem the worse for wear when luthor was holding it near him... that would be a cool twist - he's maybe not as strong as superman, being half human, but he doesn't have his one vulerability...

!*end spoiler*!

all-in-all i really enjoyed it, although i was in the minority of the group i went to see it with. my wife's friend is a HUGE supes fan (i always kid around that if we were an SAT question it would be thus:

vyn is to spider-man as gio is to superman

he wasn't too impressed with it, which is a shame because he's been looking forward to it more than i, obviously (until i heard the spidey 3 trailer was tagging along for the ride, of course...)

darko666
06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
when becoming overhyped for a movie, it's easier to be let down. i went in looking forward to seeing an exciting movie and i left pleased with what i saw.

Jaff
06-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I remember seeing Superman the movie on it's opening week in 1978 when I was a boy. In the 70's this movie, like Star Wars made you want to dream of better things, and that there was wonder in the world. I went in to see Superman Returns half excited, and half dreading. I didn't want to give it a chance, but I wanted to.

Then the main titles honored the classic versions. The soundtrack was laced with homages to John Williams score. Lines were repeated, and even new homages to other films like mentioning GOTHAM city were thrown in. The film did not depend only on action sequences to keep the attention of simpletons. It focused on Superman, and his displacement from others. Routh did not try to upstage Reeve, rather he respected what Reeve had done and tried to copy it so it was just another movie in the lineage of these films.

I think that the film was incredible. Like Batman Begins it has raised the bar, and now has a lot to live up to. If they make another Superman I will expect so much, like I did X-Men. Superhero movies usually turn cornball after the first one or two films. I hope they honor what they did with this film in the sequel that will assuredly come.

Rocketboy
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
So, it's been more than 24 hours...where is JetsAndHeels?
He hasn't posted in this thread since the 22nd (or posted at all since the 23rd).

Tycho
06-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Off the subject a bit, but WHO is JetsAndHeels? I never saw him (by that name anyway) before SSG's forums returned. Maybe he was on SWCollecting.com as a new initiate JT brought in with him, but I don't remember him. He's not Derek or Emperor Howdy come back again, right?

And what the heck does his screen-name mean?

Kidhuman
06-29-2006, 12:21 AM
J&H is JangoFett96.

figrin bran
06-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Jets as in New York Jets and Heels as in North Carolina TarHeels.

El Chuxter
06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
WOW.

Superman: The Movie: 1978 - 1989
Batman: 1989 - 2000
X-Men: 2000 - 2003
X2: Mutants United: 2003 - 2005
Batman Begins: 2005 - 2006

The crown has been passed.

I say again, wow. I went in with very high expectations, and this exceeded them easily. Brandon Routh is the reincarnation of Christopher Reeve. Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor (the Hackman version, not the comic or cartoon versions).

The action was beautifully handled, but the emotional story was the, well, heart of the film. I especially loved the bittersweet ending, as there's no way in this story to come up with a totally happy ending.

This had better be the first comic book movie to get serious Oscar consideration, or (once again) those idiots will show their ignorance.

Tycho, there is no Krypto in the comics. There was in the Silver Age (up through about 1986). Or if there is, he's a result of some recent ill-advised ret-conning of the continuity. (To be honest, I've recently been considering renting the first season or two, but if Krypto appears, forget it. That is a dumber concept than Supergirl and Batgirl combined.)

Vynnie, I don't think it's totally explained what the extent of Jason's powers, or whether the kryptonite affected him at all. But we also don't know how kryptonite would affect a 5-year-old Clark, for that matter.

Did anyone else see a preview for Hollywoodland? Ben Affleck as George Reeves, and the always impressive Adrian Brody as a detective trying to solve his murder. It looks like it should be quite impressive, but no Superman Returns.

Droid
06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Tycho, there is no Krypto in the comics. There was in the Silver Age (up through about 1986). Or if there is, he's a result of some recent ill-advised ret-conning of the continuity. (To be honest, I've recently been considering renting the first season or two, but if Krypto appears, forget it. That is a dumber concept than Supergirl and Batgirl combined.)

The dog on Smallville had some powers in the first episode in which it was seen because LuthorCorp was experimenting on dogs, but at this point the dog is just a regular dog. Clark suggested naming the dog Krypto, but they ended up calling it Shelby.

Tycho
06-29-2006, 10:55 AM
You know, looking back on the movie in retrospect, I loved the fact that Lois and her current flame saved Superman when he fell into the ocean. She just dived in after him. That was pretty powerful.

darthvyn
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
WOW.

The crown has been passed.

so, i take it that Spider-man (either one) is absent from that list because it's just unfair for the other movies to compare them...

Droid
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
There are SPOILERS in my comments -

I liked the movie.

I thought Spacey was good. I thought Routh did a very good Christopher Reeve impression and I bought him as Superman. I thought the Jimmy Olson was very good. I did not mind the dark costume and small "S" like I thought I would.

I thought Lex's plot to make land using the crystals was an inspired nod to the original movie.

I thought the opening credits were great.

Loved the use of John Williams' score. Wish they would have played a few notes of Luthor's theme.

Loved seeing Brando. Wish they would have shown some of the lost Superman II footage instead of only using footage we already saw.

The baseball stadium full of people cheering for Superman's return was inspiring. It made me think about how much the world craves heroes and how much we could use a Superman.

I thought the "haven't put you off flying", "Addis Adaba", and "My Night with Superman" references were all great.

Perry White and Lois did nothing for me.

Thought the "what did my father say" about land was great. Loved the nod to Lionel Luthor using the trains. I thought the destruction of the train set was an amusing commentary on destruction sequences in films and the destruction of California sequence in the first Superman. Loved the "wait for it".

Thought it was interesting how they had a new "Miss Tessmacher" character, that had almost the same role in the first movie, and also screwed up Lex.

I did not like the Lois' fiance-Superman-Lois love triangle. I think the real love triangle is Superman-Lois-Superman's obligation to the world.

I really hated the whole kid angle. If they are sticking with Superman II, when Lois and Clark were together, then Clark was human at that time so the kid wouldn't be Kryptonian. I know they are doing a pick and choose thing with the first two movies and that this is more a continuation in that spirit rather than a sequel.

I don't think Lois could bear a Kryptonian child. If she did I don't like that he is sickly, with some powers, and that Kryptonite doesn't hurt him. I liked it at first because I thought that Lois was having the kid pretend to be sickly to hide his powers, just like Clark pretends to be clumsy. I think that would have been great. I don't know that Lois and Clark have ever had a child in any medium (comics, movies, TV) and I thought this was not a good idea here. I thought Superman saying the Jor-El stuff to the kid was pretty gagging.

I DO NOT like that Superman's lifting the island got some of Lex's goons killed. I DO NOT like that Superman's son killed Lex's goon. Superman does not kill or cause others deaths and his son shouldn't either. And neither Lois or her son were upset that someone had died and that the boy had killed.

Lois just drags her son into someone else's house or boat?

I thought they treated Clark Kent poorly. He was hardly in it. They spent no time exploring the Clark-Superman dichotomy and Clark's relationship with Lois. She didn't act happy to see him and they didn't acknowledge that even if Lois isn't interested in Clark, they are friends. And please, couldn't they have come up with some better reason Clark was gone then "on a trip"? Not one person thinks it is odd Clark and Superman appear at exactly the same time? I know Lois isn't supposed to figure it out, but can't they write a reason she doesn't figure it out?

Superman going to Krypton. Weird. Jor-El told him it was destroyed. Why go there? Was it five years Superman was gone just because of the theory of relativity? Did it seem like less time to Clark? I assume since he left he yellow sun solar system he used a ship (the one that crashed in the field). Did he build it? Pretty risky flying through solar systems where he wouldn't have powers.

Here's a beard scratcher: Is Superman hurt by chunks of Krypton in his own solar system? Does the yellow sun make Kryptonite harmful to him the same way it gvies him strength? Wouldn't they just be meteors to Clark if Superman was at Krypton's destruction site? Do all meteors from Krypton become Kryptonite or do only certain elements that made up Krypton become Kryptonite?

Anyone else feel like Kryptonite didn't quite wipe Clark out the way it usually does? I was surprised during the "Passion of the Superman" sequence that he could catch Lex's foot like that. I was surprised he could do anything with a chunk of Kryptonite still in him. I was surprised he could even function on the island composed of Kryptonite, let alone lift it into space.

Anyone else think Routh sometimes looked computer generated even when he wasn't? Kind of a "Polar Express" effect. I thought the cg work wasn't so great going in the opening shots traveling through space.

It was an odd movie because it was so respectful of the first two Superman movies (which I like) But, it was like they said, "We'll never make a movie as good as the first Superman so let's pay homage to them." Some of my favorite moments in the movie were being reminded of how much I like Superman I and II, which is weird. I don't think they should abandon making Superman movies, but if you realize that they did it right the first time and you'll never match it, should you keep going?

Last point - they misunderstand Superman's relationship with the world. They really played up the Christ-like imagery and even went so far as to call him the savior. In the movie, Superman seemed to argue that the world does need a savior. But Superman is not a savior, and at least doesn't view himself that way. Superman is "a friend". That is how he views himself. As he said in the first Superman, "We're all a part of the same team." Superman sees himself as just doing his part, as a friend, not as a savior. What happend to Superman's/Clark's "bags of humility" that Perry White talked about in the first Superman?

Once again, I did like the movie. It is flawed in places though, as was Superman I and II, which I adore.

El Chuxter
06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
The only reference I've ever heard about Lois and Clark conceiving a child in any medium was in the Armageddon 2001 crossover about 15 years ago. The premise was that one hero (who turned out to be Hawk from the forgettable Hawk and Dove team) would go rogue and rule the future world with an iron fist. A character named Waverider came back in time to examine the possible futures of the heroes in their annuals. (Obviously, since some heroes had more titles, some had more future possibilities explored.) In one of the possible futures for Superman, he was widowed when his unborn child kicked inside Lois's womb, causing massive damage to her internal organs and killing her instantly.

Droid
06-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I remember the Lois dies in childbirth storyline. It is part of my contention that the two could not have a child. On Lois and Clark the TV show a scientist said their DNA was not compatible such that conception was even possible.

El Chuxter
06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
So you can suspend disbelief enough to buy into no one suspecting the truth when both Clark and Superman vanish at the same time for five years, then suddenly and unexpectedly turn up again at the same time, but you can't just let the kid slide? :p

darthvyn
06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
haha!! spidey's still stronger than superman!!! from superherohype:

Superman Returns with $21M on Day One
Source: ShowBIZ Data
June 29, 2006

Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman Returns, directed by Bryan Singer, opened with $21 million on Wednesday. The figure, which includes early Tuesday night screenings, marks the 8th biggest opening for a Wednesday, just behind last year's War of the Worlds, which collected $21.3 million before moving on to earn $121.2 million its first seven days.

"Superman" has a slight advantage over the Steven Spielberg film, however, as next Tuesday is the Fourth of July and more people will be able to head to theaters. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will earn more over the seven days. Singer's film debuted in 3,915 theaters and will expand to 4,064 theaters on Friday, the fourth-widest release ever.

Spider-Man 2 holds the record for a Wednesday opener. The Sam Raimi sequel made $40.4 million on June 30, 2004.

can't topple the wall-crawler!!!! though july 4th should prove to be huge for supes...

El Chuxter
06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
So in your book, money = quality? :p

Kidhuman
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
No, I think he is just rubbing it in.

Droid
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
And please, couldn't they have come up with some better reason Clark was gone then "on a trip"? Not one person thinks it is odd Clark and Superman appear at exactly the same time? I know Lois isn't supposed to figure it out, but can't they write a reason she doesn't figure it out?

I don't believe I did suspend disbelief!

plasticfetish
06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
So, the wife and I treated ourselves to a nice digital screening of Superman Returns yesterday afternoon, and I think she summed it up (as smart as she is) by saying that they did the very best that they possibly could have with this movie given the circumstances.

I can't think of a character that has as much riding on his shoulders, as far as expectations and what the hugely varied audience will be looking for. Given the history of print, TV and film, anyone that sits down to watch this new movie is going to -- at least subconsciously -- have some pretty high expectations. But I think, given my recent disappointment with X-men 3, that I honestly didn’t expect miracles from Superman Returns, and that I was really just hoping that it wouldn’t suck at best.

To sum it up, I (we) really liked the film. I’m not sure if I’d use the word “loved” at this point -- I’m still digesting the whole thing -- but we had a great time watching the movie, and came away from it with very few complaints.

My biggest fear, was that Routh would be a weird and terrible Superman, but I honestly think he was perfect. He did an amazing job of pulling little bits of Christopher Reeve into his portrayal, as well as George Reeves. He looked like a comic book hero on the screen, and as much as Clark Kent didn’t do much in this film, I think he handled that part very well also. It’s funny... I know the guy is from Iowa, and being that about half of my family is from there, I know the place and its people pretty well. That “Iowa guy” thing really does bleed into who he is on camera, and for me it works perfectly.

One person that I knew would be great, was Kevin Spacey. He really was great... and I loved the fact that what he did worked perfectly with what Gene Hackman had done as Luthor. Spacey is fun to watch. The scene where he walks out of the shower to find Lois and the kid was brilliant. He doesn't even say anything, but his face, with toothbrush in mouth, says it all.

The actor that I had given absolutely no thought to was Kate Bosworth. I figured that anyone could play Louis Lane as well as a coked-out Margot Kidder, but Bosworth’s acting was so bad, flat and amateurish, that it counts as my number one complaint about this movie. She’s cute... but that’s about it. (Bad casting.)

My other bit of criticism goes to Bryan Singer, and it’s a hard one for me to express, because it’s the same problem that I had with his X-men movies. He brings a lot of visual talent, imagination and enthusiastic energy to what he does. You really feel that he loves and cares about the characters, the story, and the concept that he’s trying to deliver, but at the same time, it always feels that he perhaps looses his objectivity when it comes to editing. I will admit, at certain points during this film -- as much as I loved looking at what I was looking at -- I wished that he had been much tighter with the editing, because I did get a little bored. It’s almost the same thing that I feel when I watch a Peter Jackson film... well, it is the same thing. It’s as if the guys are so convinced that they need to give us 110% when it comes to visual story telling, that they aren’t completely able to pull back and say, “OK, this needs to be trimmed up a bit here and there to help keep the story moving at a comfortable and natural pace.”

Bryan Singer is obviously a director that needs to be partnered with a strong editor. With someone that will take a more aggressive stand, and that can say... “You know what, it’s brilliant, but it’s not perfect. Here’s what we need to do to make it perfect.”

That's a tough one though, because at the same time, the thing that's keeping him from making a "perfect" movie -- his blind enthusiasm -- is what's helping him to make a really fun movie to watch.

Other than that, I guess I did love this film. It was, “given the circumstances,” as good a Superman movie as I could have asked for, and I’m very much looking forward to what comes next.

Jayspawn
06-29-2006, 10:37 PM
WOW! Thats it. Ok really....

I loved it! I was sold in the 1st few minuets with the opening. There were several things I was hoping/expecting....

- The John Williams Theme
- A BIG anthemous opening with the credits flying through space.
- Good re-intro for Lex.
- A spactacular enterace for Superman!
- Good transfer/showing of Brando.
- Action, Emotion!
- A meniacle scheme from Lex.
- Top of the line secial effects.
- A big finish and flyby at the end before rolling the Superman anthem and credits.

I got EVERYTHING. It was everything I hoped it would be. I bought Routh as Superman. I wish there was some MORE of Clark though. Kevin Spacey was fantastic as Lex and I though if Gene Hackman wasnt playing him again -Spacey is who I would want. Kate Bosworth was good -not show-stopping but good enough as I've always thought of Lois as kind of ordinary. The Brando appearace (brief) was a treat and I though the reoccuring voice-overs were well placed. The re-use of the John Williams score was phenomonal! John Ottman did a good job of conducting.

I just wish the Soundtrack was available IN stores (Stores dont have it in stock for some reason).

Droid
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
So where is Jets and Heels?

Is he watching the movie over and over again?

Or is he so let down by the movie that he is huddled in a ball somewhere convulsing?

El Chuxter
06-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I saw the score CD at WM for $14.88. I'll order it online, as both amazon.com and deepdiscountcd.com have it for about a dollar less.

Jayspawn
06-30-2006, 11:29 AM
I checked all my local WMs too and NONE of the got it. Here's some interesting responses I got though...

"AAaaaaaaahhhhh....we didnt get it in."

"Oh yeah, thats a movie not a CD."

JON9000
06-30-2006, 03:25 PM
So where is Jets and Heels?

Is he watching the movie over and over again?

Or is he so let down by the movie that he is huddled in a ball somewhere convulsing?
I was thinking the same thing!!!

General_Grievous
06-30-2006, 03:44 PM
I saw it three times since Wednesday. One was an IMAX showing. And let me say....WELCOME BACK, SUPERMAN!!!!

Spoilers Ahead

This is one of my favorite superhero movies. It's directly on par with Superman I and II. Bryan Singer, the cast, and the crew did an amazing job. As soon as it starts, you get the classic John Williams music and when they started the opening titles, you just get this adrenaline rush. Seeing all these somewhat-familiar locations again, like the Kent farm, the Fortress of Solitude, and Metropolis felt awesome. The special effects were great. To sum it up, it was pretty much "Okay, we've seen him fly, but what can he do now?" The plane sequence answered this and I had to pick my jaw up from the floor. The little throwbacks to the first film were great ("Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel" and "What did my father say to me when I was a boy?" "Get out?"). In a lot of ways, it was like Bryan Singer's homage to the original Superman. I hope that in the sequels, he breaks away from this a bit, but it's still nothing to complain about. I loved the last shot of Superman flying through space that mirrored the original movies. The only things I didn't quite like were Lex's plot (constantly wants land. First one he wanted to blow up part of California to make it his own. Second one he wanted to rule Australia. Enough already) and the climax. I'll agree it was a bit disappointing that he only threw a rock into space, but it was pretty cool to see him demonstrate that much power. And the whole Superman's kid subplot was great, but predictable. As soon as I read that Lois would have a 5-year old kid in "Superman Returns" and Supes would have been gone five years, I put two and two together and figured it out. And this was back in September or October. Did not come as a shock to me at all, but I did like the "old Marlon Brando" speech Supes gave the kid at the end. I wonder how they're going to pull this plot along in the sequels. Now on to the cast. Brandon Routh was an amazing Superman. He really pulled it off. His Clark Kent wasn't as nerdy as he should have been, but he was good. Of course he's no Christopher Reeve but he does a pretty damn good job of becoming the man of steel. Kevin Spacey was a great Lex Luthor. He still had humor like Gene Hackman (walking out with the toothbrush was priceless), but he was ultimately more of a threat this time around. Kate Bosworth was a good Lois Lane. Didn't make her a damsel in distress. In fact, Lois got her @$$ kicked in the movie. She was thrown around by Luthor's henchman and a door hit her over the head-all without getting a scratch. Kitty was the real scene-stealer of the movie. She had a lot of great lines in this (sea monkeys :D) and was a great counterpart to Lex. James Marsden was good as Richard. He didn't have the douchebagginess that he had when he was Cyclops. And the kid who played Lois's son was good too. I think he was actually 5. Most 5 year olds can't pull off all of that, but he did. Jimmy Olsen was strange for me. At first, he almost seemed like a Jar Jar-type character, but he grew on me. BTW, did anyone else find it strange to see Jimmy drinking a beer? Just seemed odd as I always pictured him as a young kid. The only one I missed from the old movies was Perry White. He was funny in the old one, and he acted more like a newspaper editor. In this one it seemed as if he were on prozac. He was so calm and boring. He should have been yelling and screaming out great one-liners. One last thing....why in the hell was Kumar in the movie? He didn't do anything. I saw the movie with a few of my friends and we all snickered when he was on screen. Perhaps he went to White Castle with Harold and Lex recruited him into his gang? I don't know, it just struck me funny. So overall, it was a great movie, but I still have a few unanswered questions. One, what exactly caused Supes to come out of his condition in the hospital? Was it because Lois whispered to him that he had a child or was it that the kid was in the room with him? And two, when Superman had sex with Lois, he was powerless, so why would the kid have powers? Unless of course, the chamber didn't fully work. Overall, it was a great movie. Better than Batman Begins by a longshot. And maybe they can get Ralph Fiennes to play General Zod in the sequel. :)

P.S. Did anyone catch the Office Space reference when Lois asked Clark if she could borrow his stapler? Probably as a compliment to the Superman III reference in Office Space. Was I the only one who caught it?

General_Grievous
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I checked all my local WMs too and NONE of the got it. Here's some interesting responses I got though...

"AAaaaaaaahhhhh....we didnt get it in."

"Oh yeah, thats a movie not a CD."

I'd check any music stores. I got mine at Tower Records. Although I think Amazon has it.

JON9000
06-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm going to the Imax tonight!

2-1B
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I liked it overall and I think B-Ro is the man. Congrats to him on making it big in Hollywwod. :)

I fell asleep during the end battle or whatever that was when Kitty dropped some crystals (?) or however that post went a few pages back...so I'm not sure how much I missed but I liked most of what I saw, I guess. It wasn't spectacular but it was pretty cool.

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 06:31 PM
WOW.

The crown has been passed. I have to agree with darthvyn. Spider-Man is better than the Batman movies and X-Men 1. It deserves to be on that list.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
It goes by the casting for me, the story too, of course:

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine rules! Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, the guy who played Kurt (Nightcrawler), IceMan, Anna Paquinn (before she gained weight) - X-men carries a great cast.

Eric Bana as Bruce Banner was very cool. Nick Nolte, Sam Elliot, and the hot girl as David's girlfriend rounded out a great cast for THE HULK in my opinion.

Tobey McGuire was an awesome Peter Parker. Kirsten Dunst is OK - but I can't imagine anyone else playing MaryJane now. I liked the casting for Harry, Doc Oc, and William DaFoe was excellent as Green Goblin.

Christian Bale as Bruce / Batman? He did pretty good. Liam Neeson as Rhas-Ghul. A hot chick (forgot her name). Morgan Freeman. The guy who plays Alfred (forgot his name). Sandman. It was pretty good.

I also like Wesley Snipes as Blade, with Chris Kristoffersen as Whistler, and whichever chick they added to the cast last time around, and the one from Blade 2 as well. This franchise would be awesome if they added Kate Beckinsale!

I'd say that these comic book franchises are all doing pretty good.

Superman was sort of weaker by cast comparison: Brandon Routh did pretty well I have to admit. Kate Bosworth was alright. Now Kevin Spacey was awesome as Lex Luthor. Hopefully, he's doing all the sequels. They need someone really good to play General Zod if he ever shows up again (maybe Christopher Lee playing an older Zod?)

How to rank them? Geeze that's a tough one. Bruce Banner and Peter Parker are very much alike in character (though Peter's a bit younger and less accomplished in life, while Bruce is a bit more sure of himself).

Logan just doesn't give a **** and would give white-trash a bad name if he didn't have anything better to do. I could see that guy as a plumber, couldn't you? What's not to love about him though. Jackman plays Logan like a young Harrison Ford would (as Han Solo, not Indiana Jones)

I really liked Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne / Batman the best. Perhaps Christian Bale pulls it off. But having Keaton go head-to-head with Jack Nicholson, and Michelle Pfeifer as Catwoman / Selena Kyle made for 2 awesome movies. The casting was good for most of the other characters in the later Batman films, but Val Kilmer was too young, and George Clooney didn't feel right either. Schwarzeneggar seemed to be a mistake - as was such a switch between Williams and Jones for TwoFace / Harvey Dent. Jim Carrey? I have to recollect. However, Alicia Silverstone was just WRONG! Nah-hah. I haven't really seen her act, but Jessica Alba looks more like a young Batgirl.

Maybe I'll rent Fantastic Four. I like Michael Chiklis (The Thing, Det. Vic Mackey on The Shield)

Hey, if Kate Beckinsale got the role for WonderWoman, I'd go watch it!

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Like I said before, Tycho, Ralph Fiennes would make a great General Zod. Good call on Kate Beckinsale as Wonder Woman. I think that she'll be the last of the big DC movie franchises, unless they do JLA. Because honestly, people aren't biting their nails anticipating an Aquaman or Flash movie.

darthvyn
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
first off, tycho, i love the fact that you have no idea who all the chicks in these movies are - just "obligatory hot-chick."

awesome.

that said...

Christian Bale as Bruce / Batman? He did pretty good. Liam Neeson as Rhas-Ghul. A hot chick (forgot her name). Morgan Freeman. The guy who plays Alfred (forgot his name). Sandman. It was pretty good.

the dawson's chick is really NOT at all hot, nor was she any good at acting in this movie...

i also think you mean scarecrow, not sandman...

I also like Wesley Snipes as Blade, with Chris Kristoffersen as Whistler, and whichever chick they added to the cast last time around, and the one from Blade 2 as well. This franchise would be awesome if they added Kate Beckinsale!

kris kristoffersen is just the man in anything.

"they're ever'where!"

Superman was sort of weaker by cast comparison: Brandon Routh did pretty well I have to admit. Kate Bosworth was alright. Now Kevin Spacey was awesome as Lex Luthor. Hopefully, he's doing all the sequels. They need someone really good to play General Zod if he ever shows up again (maybe Christopher Lee playing an older Zod?)

i really DON'T want them to re-hash all the old supes movies... they need to bring metallo or braniac into the mix. maybe the eradicator.

...and George Clooney didn't feel right either.

i always say it sounded like dr. ross from ER in a batman costume on halloween... "hi, freeze, i'm doctor ross... i mean, batman..."

Jim Carrey? I have to recollect.

totally wrong for the part. he played the riddler like a second-rate joker, when he's supposed to be calm, cool, collected, and a genius. for the best non-comic version of the riddler, see the original batman: the animated series...

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 08:10 PM
they need to bring metallo or braniac into the mix. Or why not Doomsday, the only villain to actually kill Superman?

plasticfetish
07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I fell asleep during the end battle or whatever that was when Kitty dropped some crystals (?) or however that post went a few pages back...so I'm not sure how much I missed but I liked most of what I saw, I guess. It wasn't spectacular but it was pretty cool.I've read about 30 reviews of this film now, and I'd say that comment probably owns (pwns?) them all.

I think you and Ebert saw the same movie. :)

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Spider-Man came pretty damned close to holding the title for a short time, but it was too predictable. Before you bash me, think about it. If you've read more than five Spider-Man comics in your lifetime, you sat in that movie and knew everything that was going to happen five minutes before it did. It's the only comic book film to stick too closely to the source material.

Still a damned good movie.

Spider-Man 2, well, I believe X2 had already come out by that point, right? X2, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns are about as perfect as they come, and I could see a million more great superhero flicks without a single one coming close to that level. Doesn't mean I don't want them to try, but we're talking about three films on par with The Empire Strikes Back or The Magnificent Seven or The Princess Bride here. :p

2-1B
07-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I've read about 30 reviews of this film now, and I'd say that comment probably owns (pwns?) them all.

I think you and Ebert saw the same movie. :)

What do you mean ? :D Seriously, I'm confused. What did Ebert say ?

I did like Soups Returns, it was cool...better than Spider-Man, at least. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

(sorry Vyn, just teasin'...well, maybe not, but for the sake of this thread I'm teasin' lol )

Tycho
07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
They are not on par with The Empire Strikes Back!

Apples to oranges.

I never had an experience crying like I did when the movie ended and left Han Solo carbon frozen and Lassie no Buck no Chewbacca and Leia desperate to find him.

Plus the whopper: "No Luke. I am your father."

ROTS outdid the movies you named too:

"Please help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her." -Darth Vader's deal with the devil.

darthvyn
07-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Spider-Man came pretty damned close to holding the title for a short time, but it was too predictable. Before you bash me, think about it. If you've read more than five Spider-Man comics in your lifetime, you sat in that movie and knew everything that was going to happen five minutes before it did. It's the only comic book film to stick too closely to the source material.

aside from sin city, which was

a: word-for-word, shot-for-shot a direct translation from panel to screen

b: an entry that should be on "chux's list of definitive comic book movies that don't include spider-man for some reason"

now, obviously i can't convince anyone i'm not biased on this, but i don't understand the "too closely to the source material" bit... isn't that the antithesis of what a lot of people are saying about x-men 3? so you can't stick too close to the material, but you can't stray to far away from it either? damned: do or don't.

basically my thing with spidey was: sure, i know what's going to happen, but other people don't! i enjoyed sharing the character i grew up with and love with those who don't know anything about him. seeing him through their eyes was a thourgholy enjoyable experience. of course it was predictable to someone who's read the comics... why make up stuff when you've got 40+ years of stories to pull from?

Spider-Man 2, well, I believe X2 had already come out by that point, right? X2, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns are about as perfect as they come, and I could see a million more great superhero flicks without a single one coming close to that level. Doesn't mean I don't want them to try, but we're talking about three films on par with The Empire Strikes Back or The Magnificent Seven or The Princess Bride here. :p

i would ALMOST say that x-men and spider-man were on par, with both sequels trumping their respective firsts, but i really have to give it to spider-man... both had more emotional impact than either x-men movie. x-men came out in 2000, and i said "that was awesome." spider-man came out in 2002, and i said "that was even better than x-men." rinse and repeat for the sequels in 2003 and 2004.

you know i don't even consider batman begins as coming close to anything (save maybe catwoman...) and superman returns, while far more enjoyable than batman begins, was a lot of rehashed richard donner stuff - lex wants land, clark is a bumbling non-entity, superman takes lois lane flying, the most powerful superhero ever gets the crap kicked out of him by a normal guy, but then saves the day... i was hoping for a more original experience - i mean, they even had brando in it... THE MAN'S DEAD!!! i enjoyed SR a lot, don't get me wrong, but i think spider-man had a lot more original (for the screen) material in it...

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Spider-Man came pretty damned close to holding the title for a short time, but it was too predictable. Superman Returns was just as predictable. I knew it was Superman's kid all along. However, all of the movies on that list, with the exception of X2, are predictable. They're superhero movies. The good guys always win in the end.

scruffziller
07-02-2006, 01:25 AM
I really hated the whole kid angle. If they are sticking with Superman II, when Lois and Clark were together, then Clark was human at that time so the kid wouldn't be Kryptonian. I know they are doing a pick and choose thing with the first two movies and that this is more a continuation in that spirit rather than a sequel.

I assumed that the Red Sun rays didn't make him human, just a mortal Kryptonian. So the DNA would not have changed.

I really hope the sequel which comes out in 2009 (or movies after) has his son being a big part of the story. Or maybe the comics will pick it up.

Thought it was interesting how they had a new "Miss Tessmacher" character, that had almost the same role in the first movie, and also screwed up Lex.

Yes, Parker Posey did an excellent job with this. I have always found her strangely sexy. I loved how Lex cut the brakes for real and put her through hell. That was a great nod to Supes I. Especially with the one deleted scene that was shown on television years ago when he hung her from the elevator shaft by her arms.

Miss Tessmacher: "Lex Why are you doing this to me?!"

Lex: "Because I love you..."

Then she falls and Supes flies down the shaft after her.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone remember the show WISEGUY? (1987) It was of Kevin Spacey's first roles on film. He played an insane, criminal mastermind, millionaire, Malthusian, which was very Lex-esque, named Mel Profit. His famous line was "Only the toes knows. A brilliant role. Ironically, Mel Profit also spent alot of time on a yacht. Wonder if anyone caught that homage.

I really like alot of the nods to all the mediums of Superman. Did anyone catch in the model train set the model Mount Rushmore. One of the faces collapsing? But it wasn't Abe this time, I believe it was Jefferson.
Also the picture captured where Superman was holding up Kitty's car, looked just like the pic on ACTION COMICS No. 1

The dog eating the other dog was a little too morbid for me, but showed it reflected Lex's insane selfishness.

I still can't get over how much Routh looks like Superboy rather than Superman. Chris Reeve will always be the ultimate incarnation of Superman. The comics show Superman having a professional body builder physique and Chris Reeve had the closest of that. None of the other actors were that close.
The guys in the pics below almost look closer. I think Routh's problem is his
neck and chin are too narrow. It's too bad Henry Rollins is too old.:D

My biggest fear, was that Routh would be a weird and terrible Superman, but I honestly think he was perfect. He did an amazing job of pulling little bits of Christopher Reeve into his portrayal, as well as George Reeves. He looked like a comic book hero on the screen, and as much as Clark Kent didn’t do much in this film, I think he handled that part very well also. It’s funny... I know the guy is from Iowa, and being that about half of my family is from there, I know the place and its people pretty well. That “Iowa guy” thing really does bleed into who he is on camera, and for me it works perfectly.

Hey PF, Brandon was up here in West Des Moines at the new Jordan Creek mall signing autographs. It still feels weird only living a hop, skip and a jump away from his hometown.

JON9000
07-02-2006, 03:23 PM
They need someone really good to play General Zod if he ever shows up again (maybe Christopher Lee playing an older Zod?)

Why not Terrence Stamp as an older Zod? Or you could have a younger guy who looks Zoddy and have T.S. do the voice over. It seems to me a lot of that character came from the voice. Hence his catchphrase is still something geeks say to each other. n331 634 20D!

I assumed that the Red Sun rays didn't make him human, just a mortal Kryptonian. So the DNA would not have changed.

I really hope the sequel which comes out in 2009 (or movies after) has his son being a big part of the story. Or maybe the comics will pick it up.

I am curious what Lois thinks now that she knows she got busy with Superman but has no memory of it. I wasn't terribly into the idea of Superman having a kid, but given how good the movie was and how bravely it tried to maintain a semblance of continuity (I got chills during the opening with Krypton, Brando's voice over, and the whooshing credits) and considering what a piece of crap other directors were trying to make it into, I am not going to start whining.

It's the only comic book film to stick too closely to the source material.

I was gald they stuck to the origin story verbatim. I like surprises and experiencing things new also, but I am often just as happy see if my ideas of what things should look like are shared by the film maker. It's almost as exciting when it really comes through like in LOTR.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
first off, tycho, i love the fact that you have no idea who all the chicks in these movies are - just "obligatory hot-chick."

awesome.

that said...

Yeah. I guess they talk and stuff during the movie, but as with most chicks I ignore that part and I'm busy looking at the girls' ----- or --- . :laugh:

Does anyone have a tally on how much Superman is pulling in this weekend?

Does anyone have a clue to why I even care?

Like somebody here said, the tickets now cost a lot of us $10 each so of course at that rate it could slam TPM, ROTS, or whichever SW film (minus ANH's multiple releases) by over 30% - because the price is up by 30% - duh.

Besides, prequels and sequels are not as tempting to general audiences as something like a Superman film would be. You don't have to know anything except that "there's this bald guy trying to beat up a guy in a cape, tights, and red underwear, and the obligatory hot chick." See, the movie's easy to explain. TPM was not.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Weekend estimate is $52 mil

Rocketboy
07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
And a total of $84,208,000 so far.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
How does that compare with other films? (you guys that know where to find all this film info)

Slicker
07-02-2006, 10:11 PM
How does that compare with other films? (you guys that know where to find all this film info)Here's where you can get alot of info about opening weekends, grosses, and what not.

http://boxofficemojo.com/

El Chuxter
07-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Let's see:

At least twice as good as Superman.

At least three times as good as Superman II.

At least 1,138 times as good as Superman III.

Infinitely better than that pice of carp that some jokingly refer to as Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

Oh, you meant box office?

Phantom-like Menace
07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
My first comment about Superman Returns: Why didn't Kumar have a more important part?

I just watched the movie today, and my friends and I managed for once to have the same comments and opinions. We liked it, but it was nothing spectacular. What lessened it for us the most was definitely little Super Haley Joel Osment. The only thing that softened that blow was that we predicted weeks ago that Superman was the father. Once we heard he failed Phys Ed, took eight types of medicine and was about to fall apart at any moment, we knew for certain he had to be Superman's son. I am a little surprised though that Singer went with that. That's the type of cheese he didn't bring to the X-Men and we loved him for it. I will say I was worried for a moment there the kid's asthmatic breathing was going to become a superbreath attack on Luthor's henchman, so I was relatively glad he simply threw a piano. Also, given that the kid seemed not to be effected by kryptonite (another sure sign to those not buying it that he actually was Superman's son), I was absolutely terrified he would be the one to go back and stop Luthor's island since Superman couldn't get too close. I'm so happy that didn't happen.

Superman really did make a great entrance into Metropolis. You can't beat that reception.

Bryan Singer really needs to make a movie called James Marsden gets the girl. He gets the shaft on the relationship deal in both X-Men and Superman Returns.

Bryan Routh get's high marks. Spacey gets high marks. Bosworth was okay as Lane and she's certainly eye candy. Kumar was underused and would have gotten highest marks.

Did anyone else keep waiting for the Daily Planet headline to read "Superman Arrested for Stalking!" or at the end "Superman: Stalker and Deadbeat Dad!"

I was surprised I laughed as much as I did during that movie.

I got chills during the opening with Krypton, Brando's voice over, and the whooshing credits

I am in complete agreement on this one. I'm going to have the Superman theme stuck in my head for days.

Tycho
07-03-2006, 12:43 AM
I never saw Superman VI. It was called "The Price of Carp?"

Aren't carp related to goldfish?

What was Lex Luthor trying to steal some goldfish because he thought they were real gold or something and he was going to get rich again?

Sounds like a fishy idea for a movie story if you ask me.

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Superman didn't get the girl in this one. She's still with James Marsden. There's only one way Superman and Lois could end up together: Richard would have to break up with her after learning she lied about Jason's father, and she'd have to turn to Clark for consolation. Or at least make it look that way. Superman cannot live a normal life as a married man, but Clark could.

JON9000
07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah. I guess they talk and stuff during the movie, but as with most chicks I ignore that part and I'm busy looking at the girls' ----- or --- . :laugh.
Kate Bosworth doesn't have a great deal in either department. She's very waify. Her different colored eyes kept throwing me for a loop.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Ok folks, I am here.....no need to send out the search party.

I loved this movie. No other way to say it.

I liked Routh as Superman, Spacey as Luthor, and even Huntington as Olsen. I thought James Marsden and Frank Langella did good in their roles. Parker Posey was a bit annoying but I guess they were trying to add that numbskull sidekick like they did with Ned Beatty in the Reeve films.
I am very happy with the way the film turned out. It was definately worth the wait for me!!
Oh and I have seen it twice for those of you wondering. :)

Droid
07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I forgot that if they stick with Superman II Lois wouldn't even remember that she slept with Superman! I do wonder if she only figured out Superman was her son after the boy threw the piano.

I think the boy will be the primary plot of the next Superman movie. Lex has figured it out, the way he fled his boat once he heard about the piano killing his goon. Lex will use the boy for his crazy scheme in the next movie.

Maybe Lois' fiance will dump her because in the end she still loves Superman more than him.

Anyone else wonder how Lois got her fax through since the machine said, "please wait" when the henchman unplugged it?

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Anyone else wonder how Lois got her fax through since the machine said, "please wait" when the henchman unplugged it?

Advanced alien technology!!

darthvyn
07-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced alien technology!!

yup. crystals. it was a crystal fax machine.

JediTricks
07-03-2006, 03:09 PM
How does that compare with other films? (you guys that know where to find all this film info) From IMDB news, today:
If Superman Returns hadn't cost about $204 million to make and an additional $40 million to develop over the past 19 years, the $84.2 million that the movie earned since it opened late Tuesday night would be cause for celebration at Warner Bros., the studio that produced it. However, analysts pointed out that the estimated $52.2 million that it earned over the three-day weekend trailed last year's War of the Worlds' $64.9 million over the comparable weekend and Spider-Man 2's $88.2 million in 2004. Moreover, it is expected to be sunk next week by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and continue to plunge after that. Meanwhile, rival studios are reportedly upset over Warner Bros. decision to include 10:00 p.m. screenings on Tuesday in its total for Wednesday, thereby giving the appearance that the film performed far better at the box office for its Wednesday premiere than it actually did. L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke quoted one rival studio exec as saying, "It's not unfair to note that Fox's X-Men 3 had $130 mil[lion] after five days and is ending up making $235 mil or so. If the same ratio holds and Superman Returns does 1/3 less, than it would not make $200 mil and that would be a disappointment." In fact, the actual bragging rights for the weekend belong to 20th Century Fox, whose The Devil Wears Prada opened with an estimated $27 million. "This was way beyond anybody's expectations," Fox distribution chief Bruce Snyder told today's (Monday) Los Angeles Times. The film helped push the overall box office some 5 percent above last year's for the same weekend. Today's New York Times quoted Bruce Friend, managing director of the research firm OTX Entertainment, as saying, "The good news is the bleeding has stopped from last year. ... But it hasn't rebounded to the levels of two years ago."

I forgot that if they stick with Superman II Lois wouldn't even remember that she slept with Superman! I do wonder if she only figured out Superman was her son after the boy threw the piano.No, look at her behavior when Lex asks about who the boy's father is, she knows Supes is his father right there and then. With the super-kid and the airplane scenes, I was wondering if they were gonna redo that Lois & Clark where a kid gets Supes' powers while he's saving the plane the kid is on and it gets hit with lightning, the kid's mother tells the press she had an affair with Superman and the boy is the spawn - I think they borrowed that story from a silver age story no less.

Of the movie itself, I'm just going to say that I hear a lot of folks talking about how "faithful" it is to Superman, IMO it's only faithful to the cliches from the 1978 Superman movie, not much of which was actually true to the Superman universe. Oh, and if Supes can lift a big chunk of planet with a kyrptonite island in it into the sky, why does he have trouble holding half a boat up? :p

maatu
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
ok the movie was good not great. i would see it again. the brando scenes were unused from superman 2. he did not say this stuff to superman. i heard there lots of cut scenes for the Dvd .second superman could of gotten lois pregnant . remember in superman 2 when he gave up his powers. who says he didn't have relations with her.
the movie could of been better. more action . i would of liked to see superman throw that dude who shot him a million times off the building.

maatu
07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
it's just a movie.......

darthvyn
07-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Or why not Doomsday, the only villain to actually kill Superman?

or the villain i had brought up a long time ago in this thread, but then forgot about... DARKSEID... that would be even AWESOMER!!!! with apokolips and everything... that would rock...

I really like alot of the nods to all the mediums of Superman. Did anyone catch in the model train set the model Mount Rushmore. One of the faces collapsing? But it wasn't Abe this time, I believe it was Jefferson.
Also the picture captured where Superman was holding up Kitty's car, looked just like the pic on ACTION COMICS No. 1

i caught that picture of him, too... that was a nice addition...

The dog eating the other dog was a little too morbid for me, but showed it reflected Lex's insane selfishness.

talking about the cannibalistic pomeranean... could that have been a slight nod to parker posey's character in blade:trinity? with the vampire pomeranean? just a thought - it looks exactly like the one in B:T, although i guess all poms pretty much look the same...

plasticfetish
07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I thought the dog-eat-dog bit was one of the funniest in the movie.

What do you mean ? :D Seriously, I'm confused. What did Ebert say?He only gave the movie two stars. (Here (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060626/REVIEWS/60606009/1023).) I think he was a bit hard on it... a bit of a killjoy, but he had some good points.

-----------

So... I keep reading here, and other places, where people are saying things like, "Why was the kid in the movie anyway, and what connection did he have to the story?" It occurred to me, that the entire part where they flashback to Clark discovering his powers, was foreshadowing for when the kid discovers his own powers. Again, this movie seems like more of a setup for following movies to me than anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if the kid plays a larger part next time around.

And.

C'mon... Superman can't really "get" the girl. I think the point is that he's just a little too busy being the world's savior to be in a relationship. So, the kid has a human father (like clark did) to help raise him, and then when he's older... dad from outer space will be there. I had no problem with this part of the story. It would have been too cheesy if it had turned out another way. I like the love triangle thing anyway, it adds a new dynamic... the other films already "did" the Lois and Superman thing.

darthvyn
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I like the love triangle thing anyway, it adds a new dynamic... the other films already "did" the Lois and Superman thing.

isn't it at least a love quadrangle? (lois, cyclops, clark, and superman) or even perhaps a love pentangle? (all of the above, plus the rest of humanity who cry out for superman to help them win the lottery and such...)

Phantom-like Menace
07-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Superman didn't get the girl in this one. She's still with James Marsden.

Richard is a Dumped Man Walking. The words just haven't been said yet.

Jayspawn
07-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Ouch! Dumped Man Walking!

Well thats what I figure as well. I still think it sucks that Cyclops got shafted in X3!

kool-aid killer
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I didnt read any reviews going into this, i just went in with a blank mind about what to expect, aside from knowing that Superman was returning to Earth and Lex Luthor would be involved in the story. I ended up liking the movie, more so than i thought i would because i never really cared for the other Superman movies. I think the only thing that really annoyed me was Lexs plot, create a new continent. I thought that was a little corny, but to each their own. I wouldnt mind seeing it again, and i do think this will be a DVD i get, eventually. I would hate to buy it off the bat and then a couple of months or a year later see a better version pop out of the studios ***.

jjreason
07-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I loved it, I thought the first action sequence was as good as any I've ever seen - anywhere. I nearly peed, if we can be open and honest about our feelings in here. :D

I was questioning, however, why he was able to lift the mountainous mass of kryptonite infested crystal, when only moments earlier he was getting thumped by Lex on the same substance.

Was it because he "charged his battery" in the sun before heading back?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-07-2006, 03:10 AM
I loved it, I thought the first action sequence was as good as any I've ever seen - anywhere. I nearly peed, if we can be open and honest about our feelings in here. :D

I was questioning, however, why he was able to lift the mountainous mass of kryptonite infested crystal, when only moments earlier he was getting thumped by Lex on the same substance.

Was it because he "charged his battery" in the sun before heading back?

I just figured it was because the Kryptonite was not really in direct contact with him. I mean, there was only so much of it in mass of land and while it was a lot, it was seperated by rocks and stuff. Plus, I do think it hurt him like crazy, but he knew he had to go past the pain to save everybody.

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
After a week and a half, my local single-screen theater dropped it for Pirates of the Carribean.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
It should do decent bank this weekend (probably another 20-30 mill) thanks to Pirates leftovers and added attention to the BO. I hope it does well as it's a FAR better movie than PotC.

and my new release sheet at work added the DVD release date for November 28th. Take this with a grain of salt as sometimes they're right on the money, other times they're way off. This is the sheet that said "Die Hard 4" was coming out March 16th of this year. :crazed:

jedibear
07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm a little late to this party, but I thought I'd add my observations to the mix...

I liked this movie...alot. I've seen it three times so far and each time it just works better and better...for me anyway.

When it comes to movies based on comic books, I don't claim to be an expert on the source material or know all the finer points of "continuity" in the comic or if what's being presented in the movie is being "true" to the source. Like most folks, I just "know what I like" and I've found some of the movies based on comic books to be quite good (Sin City, Batman Begins, Hellboy, the X-Men movies- yes all three of them... & V for Vendetta come to mind), some okay (both Spidermans...I know, I know...alot of folks hold these to be the best of the best but I personally could never get into the character of the mopey/horny teen who swings around town on ropes shooting out of his wrists...but hey, to each their own), and some that were pretty lame(the Schumacher Batmans, Fantastic Four).

We've even gotten our share of movies that weren't neccessarily based on a specific comic but sure felt like one like the Matrix movies or the seemingly endless streams of movies based on video games that have a comic-book feel to them.

As we all know by now, the one movie considered but many to be the "benchmark" for turning a comic book into a successful movie is Richard Donner's "Superman: the Movie" from 1978. It "wrote the playbook" that most comic-turned-movies still try to follow today. By using the latest in special effects, casting it with an unknown lead surrounded by veterans to provide "gravity" and approaching the whole endeavor with a certain level of seriousness while still managing a little humor (but hopefully avoiding "camp"), the Donner/Superman movie managed to have it both ways by making the comic purists/fans happy while creating a good accessible entertainment for the rest of us.

That movie worked for me...from the opening notes of John Williams fanfare over those whooshing credits to the final shots of Christopher Reeve soaring off the screen with a smile...it clicked in all the right places and still holds up today.

Christopher Reeve not only made you believe a man could fly, but that he could be decent, charming, strong, and masculine without turning into a boring macho male cliche'...there were plenty of those waiting in the wings in the '80s for those that appreciated that kind of thing (Sly, Arnie or Willis anyone? No? Not anymore? Oh, alright...)

Over the years, superheroes had to become edgy, dark or flawed somehow to maintain modern audience's (mostly young males) interest. I went to alot of these movies but never really connected with these characters in any meaningful way other than to be entertained by the spectacle.

I always wondered if the Man of Steel would experience an effective comeback like the ones other characters like Batman or Spiderman were having or if in today's jaded, cynical ADD-riddled culture he could return as the same kind of character I experienced in Donner's film (not to mention the old classic George Reeves show I enjoyed as a kid many afternoons after school). Would a new Superman be "true" or would he be updated to be more hip & "edgy"?

Well, judging from Bryan Singer's new movie "Superman Returns", the answer is...both. Singer has not only followed the successful formula of the Donner film, he has given Superman a much more complicated, emotional arc that gives the character of Superman much more depth and involvement from the audience, similar to the approach taken last year by Nolan with "Batman Begins".

It helps immensely that Singer has chosen a great new talent in Brandon Routh to anchor this movie. Routh is sensational, not only looking the part, but by playing it with the same level of charm and personality the Reeve brought to the role. That's not to say he simply mimicks Reeve's performance...not at all. Routh portrays Superman with a level of emotion never seen in any previous incarnation...he brings great sincerity to the part and by the end of this new film, the role is his.

It's hard to ignore the loud insistant noise of mainstream movie critics attempting to sharpen their dull wit with clever put-downs or comic geek fanboys ripping this new movie apart for whatever variety of reasons like "It's not canon! He's too young! The outfit's wrong! I don't like the rubber sheild! They shoulda done this! They shouldn't of done that!", but for this ole' bear...this movie works.

I love the intense emotion offered in the movie by what Superman goes through in the story...it was a creative direction Singer took that I wasn't expecting to see in a large-scale superhero movie like this.

Yes, there are some things that are a little jarring at first look like the feel that some heavy editing happened with the early part of the movie. A few things that would have played a little better like Kal-El's voyage over the ruins of Krypton (glimpsed in the first trailer) and some extensions with some Ma Kent scenes (like the "postcards from around the world" idea explaining Clark's "absence") and the scenes establishing it was Luthor who put out the bait of Kyrpton still existing that sent Superman away in the first place...these would have made the opening hour a little less jarring and so many plot points throughout the rest of film make a little more sense. (If you're interested, see the comic adaptation that utlized the original shooting script to see what I mean).

But as many others have said, the biggest hurdle in the film mainly centers around Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She takes awhile to get her game on but she manages it eventually although she is still too young, slight in stature (eat something girl, and keep that finger outta your throat afterwards!), and glamorous to be playing Lois as she's presented in this story (as a mother, a career woman, a Pulitzer winner). She's just a female here, not feminine...too whiny and brittle in the early scenes and absolutely none of the charm that you would expect to be there to attract Superman (or even her new beau Richard White). If Bosworth had offered any of the moxie or sense of fun provided by other actresses who have essayed this part, from Noelle Neill to Margot Kidder to even Teri Hatcher, she would have made the audience even more sympathetic to the emotional hurt and confusion her character was dealing with in this story along with adding to the peril she encounters later in the film with Luthor.

I'll also admit I would like to see a fresh adversary the next time around...Luthor just seemed a little stale around the edges, especially considering the energy and freshness Routh is bringing to the film. Spacey just seemed a little...spacey in the role. Singer left some interesting ideas dangling that could allow for the introduction of some of the more colorful villians from the Superman canon like Brainiac or Doomsday, instead of revisiting an old bore with no more creativity than rehashing his same failed schemes. As for the kid...alot of folks feel the story is boxed into a corner with him, but consider this...the kid has already killed someone using his new powers...not on purpose of course, but still...there is a ripple already there for some great drama involving that aspect down the road...we'll see.

But everything else in the film, from the state-of the-art effects to the look of the movie (go digital cameras!) to Ottman's effective score utilizing classic Williams themes to the great supporting cast (especially Mardsen's Richard White...who with little screen time quickly creates a great, caring man who can contribute to the action as well as adding some heart to the story and Huntington's Jimmy Olsen creating a good level of un-campy humor and good nature) make this at the least an entertaining trip to the movies and at the most a worthy entry in the Superman mythos. Thank you Bryan Singer...well done. I not only believe a man can fly again....I believe he can soar.

Finally... If there's any "blame" to be offered towards this movie's financial performance(which if one ignores the bloated budget is quite respectable), I think WB need look no further than itself. Crazy, inappropraite ad campaign and...as odd as this may sound to some, when you consider the emotional pull and serious approach taken with the material in this movie...perhaps a fall release would have worked better. I think this movie can appeal to an older demographic that doesn't need a constant barrage of 'splosions and tight-wrapped boobies to make it through a movie.
Just my thoughts...I just wanted to let those reading and participating in this discussion know there are a few of us who really appreciate Singer's efforts...thanks for reading.

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 02:20 PM
It should do decent bank this weekend (probably another 20-30 mill) thanks to Pirates leftovers and added attention to the BO. I hope it does well as it's a FAR better movie than PotC. The weekend estimates for SR - Friday: $7.1 mil; Saturday: $8.2 mil; Sunday: $6.6 mil - weekend total: $21.9 mil. Looks like you were right on the money (pun intended ;)) with that call JMG.

Total 13-day take for SR: $142 mil. Weekend estimate for POTC2: $132 mil.

UKWildcat
07-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I just got back from seeing this and I thought it was an excellent film. I absolutely loved it. I didn't go into this movie with the highest of expectations and I was actually going to wait to see it on dvd. I'm glad I didn't. This movie far exceeded my expectations and propelled itself as one of the better movies I have seen in some time. Brandon "who?" Routh did a surprisingly good job as Clark Kent and Superman. This kid impressed me big time for a "nobody" actor. Spacey did a really good job too as did Parker Posey. Like I said, this movie was much better than I had anticipated and I'm glad I got off my arse and saw it in the theater.

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
One thing about Roger Ebert's review of SR really struck a chord with me, Routh has very few lines in the movie as either Superman or his rubber-mask Clark Kent, and it's unusual. Some suggest it's the producers' lack of faith in the actor, I suspect it's the writers' inability to find anything for the character to say because they don't really understand anything about the character beyond the cliches lifted from the 1978 film and the '50s TV show - think of this as Superman from the SuperFriends cartoon. There was only 1 moment in SR where I thought "hey, maybe some character development will break out", when Jimmy and Clark go to the bar in the middle of the day to have a drink (the bartender being the actor who played Jimmy Olsen in the '50s TV show, and he STILL looks the same!), here we have superhero Clark a bit down about Lois' new life leaving him behind so he goes to have a drink. There's lots of room here for the character to develop either as someone deep OR playing around with the character a la Christopher Reeve's Clark who visited the diner in Superman 2, but instead this ends up going nowhere at all.

plasticfetish
07-09-2006, 07:47 PM
One thing about Roger Ebert's review of SR really struck a chord with me, Routh has very few lines in the movie as either Superman or his rubber-mask Clark Kent, and it's unusual.You know, the lack of excessive back and forth dialog didn't really bother me. I think it's something that makes this film different from the earlier Superman films. It's in keeping with the idea that these characters have drifted apart, and aren't necessarily comfortable when it comes to talking.

I mean, look... we all know who Superman is. This isn't a "let's get to know him" film, it's a film about "family" and belonging. One thing that I do really like about this movie is the structure of the story. In the beginning it's Superman flying through space, looking for his origins. Then we get the part about Superman remembering his childhood, and how he came to know that he was "different." We get a quick tease with a little flashback to his human father, and then there's some more flashback to clips of his alien father.

The entire film is really arching toward that scene with him and the kid at the end where he comes to terms with the fact that, not only does the planet need him (he's got this crazy job to do), but this kid needs him. It's not a simple situation, the kid's got two fathers and he's half human, but that's the way it goes in life sometimes... things get complicated and you make sacrifices to get by. So, it's really a film about family and sacrifice. As corny as they are, those are some appropriate themes for a Superman film I think.

Now, the big question is, does all of what I just talked about really come through, or does it get lost in the excitement? Was the subtle stuff that’s really important when it comes to making a good movie expressed as well as it should have been? If not, does that have to do with the actors, the director, the script? Should there have been more dialog, or was it enough to just see the internal struggle in Superman’s eyes?

I’m not so sure yet...

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Jedibear, your post was great. Its good to see where others are really enjoying this film. You and I share the same enthusiasm for it!!

Just my thoughts...I just wanted to let those reading and participating in this discussion know there are a few of us who really appreciate Singer's efforts...thanks for reading.

I am totally with you on this. I think Bryan Singer did a fantastic job on the film, and I can honestly say that the time spent waiting for it was well worth it. I am definately going to see it at least 2 more times, and I cannot wait for the sequel.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 02:33 PM
You know, the lack of excessive back and forth dialog didn't really bother me. I think it's something that makes this film different from the earlier Superman films. It's in keeping with the idea that these characters have drifted apart, and aren't necessarily comfortable when it comes to talking.I'm not talking about banter, I'm talking about just the lines coming out of the character's mouth at all... or lack thereof. He's not expressing himself much of the time, he's just "doing".

By the way, off-topic from what I was saying before, but "the world needs this savior" thing that Singer brought into this, even the original '78 and its sequels knew better than, Superman is not the world's savior, the Earth *doesn't* need Superman, Superman is "a friend" and a shining example, not a crutch.

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I admit, the savior thing creeps me out a little, but mostly because it's too much of a cliche at this point.

I'm not talking about banter, I'm talking about just the lines coming out of the character's mouth at all... or lack thereof. He's not expressing himself much of the time, he's just "doing".I know what you meant. Banter, dialog... same thing... that's what I was getting at. No, he doesn't speak much, but Superman never did. The fact that Clark doesn't have much to say is another issue. On the one hand, the way he was reintroduced was a little weak. There should have been more to it... but I think they're trying to show that he can't really figure out "what" to say, so he's just keeping his mouth shut until he knows where he stands.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Doesn't talk much? Superman is always cranking out some boy-scout dialogue meant to educate the bad guys, to change their ways - comics, tv shows, even the Christopher Reeve movies (his dialogue there, a lot of it plays like after-school special territory). And he's always expressing himself to the audience in the previous TV and movie adaptations, even the cartoons. Heck, the "I've got to lift this giant boulder before it flattens the city!" type stuff works on the principle of Superman being an offshoot identity to Smallville Clark Kent.

Clark used to take reporting somewhat seriously, except for the cartoons from the '60s to '80s, and Reeve movies, and he took his life somewhat seriously too, so he had stuff to say in it as well. At least, that's how I've always seen the character, and I'm not a huge comic reader or anything.

darthvyn
07-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Earth *doesn't* need Superman, Superman is "a friend" and a shining example, not a crutch.

that's a nice sentiment and all, and really holds out hope for humanity, but i'm afraid that if there really WAS a superman, there'd be people out there crying for his help when they stubbed their toe...

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Not if you stubbed it on Kryptonite. (Hee.)

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 02:52 PM
that's a nice sentiment and all, and really holds out hope for humanity, but i'm afraid that if there really WAS a superman, there'd be people out there crying for his help when they stubbed their toe...Just because people ask for mundane crutchery doesn't mean he has to give it, and in fact it's downright irresponsible to take on that role since it makes Earth more and more dependent on this single being. I kept thinking all through the middle of the movie that even though the planet has been without Superman for 5 years at this point, the cops seem totally useless all throughout every heist, caper, and disaster in the film - I guess Superman is a pretty awful example, and the police of the world just expect Superman to do the work while they collect paychecks.

Droid
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Found this on the web:

EXCLUSIVE: Super ($200 Million) Man or Else?

Posted Jul 10th 2006 8:13PM by Claude Brodesser-Akner
Filed under: Movies, The Biz, City Of Industry

From Claude Brodesser-Akner's City of Industry blog

Will Hollywood blockbuster budgets continue to fly "up, up and away?" Not necessarily.

At least, not at Warner Bros. Pictures. After a $225 million "Pirates of the Caribbean" sailed into port, taking the wind out of "Superman Returns'" $205 million Spandex, Warner Bros. executives are said to be circumspect as to whether the Man of Steel will fly again.

Talent agency insiders with ties to the film tell TMZ that Warner Bros. Pictures president and COO Alan Horn has informed agents that a sequel hinges on whether grosses of "Superman Returns" can crest the $200 million mark domestically. What's more, the studio plans to shave millions - many millions - off any "Superman" sequel's budget. (Amusingly, in the current "Superman Returns," Lois Lane pleads with Lex Luthor, "But millions will die! " It turns out she was right on the money.)

As Variety's box office guru Ben Fritz noted last July 4th, "Superman Returns is off to a strong start, albeit not as fast as a speeding bullet. Warner Bros. superhero tent pole grossed a solid $52.5 million on its opening weekend and $74 million over the five-day Fourth of July frame. Since its Wednesday opening, the Bryan Singer-helmed franchise restart has taken in $106 million."
Talent agency insiders, speaking on the condition of anonymity, insist that Horn is so concerned about being burned financially by ionospheric "Superman" special effects costs that any sequel's budget would cost far less than Bryan Singer's quarter billion dollar baby: a meager $150 million. That's a whopping $35 million less than its predecessor was green lit at, and roughly $55 million less than "Superman Returns" alleged final negative cost. So much for a getting a raise.

However, no one could blame Horn for being cautious. Despite opening at No. 1 in all its territories, overseas, the Man of Steel is starting to look just a bit rusty. The just-ended World Cup meant that Warner Bros. took a pass on European and Latin American territories, and its second weekend in release overseas, "Superman Returns" dipped 55% to take in $9 million from 1,800 prints in 14 markets.

We're bracing to hear how director Bryan Singer will react to this newfound fiscal restraint.

Our guess: Not well.

Says one executive involved in the production and financing of "Superman Returns," "They can try and spin it as 'There are certain economies of scale that come from the making of the first one, blah blah blah. But the reality is, it's harder to play in a smaller sandbox and still push the envelope."

Calls place to Horn were not returned, and a studio spokeswoman declined to comment on the fiscal retrenchment.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I didn't know this, but you can see Kate Bosworth in a bikini in the movie "Blue Crush." In that film she looks so much like my ex-girlfriend Brie that I used to do double-takes on the Blue Crush movie poster they had in the mall, outside of one entrance to the Target I used to get SW figures from.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
It's not that uncommon for a studio to greenlight a sequel with a smaller budget, the thinking is that since there's already a built-in audience this time around, they don't need to try as hard. If WB doesn't ok a Superman sequel, I will be surprised though simply because they have a movie that all but says "something better the next time around, we promise!" at the end, a cheap leading man (one of the perks of hiring unknowns), and the whole point for the studio of getting Routh and Bosworth was that they were YOUNG and thus could carry the franchise for a while.

Personally, I don't see where that $205mil went (and that's not counting marketing and the $60mil development pricetag), it doesn't show up on screen IMO, Lucas did more with the prequels yet each had nearly half the budget as Superman Returns (and you guys know I'm no prequel-gusher) - Ep 1: $115mil; Ep 2: $120mil; Ep 3: $113mil - yet what in SR was roughly twice as good as any of those 3?

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Are they counting the money that went into almost twenty years of Superman V's that never materialized?

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 04:46 PM
That's the $60mil I mentioned, all the development as the new Superman movie changed hands from Tim Burton to McG and all points in between.

2-1B
07-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Tycho, you can also see Kate Bosworth take it from Val Kilmer as John Holmes in Wonderland. :)

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 01:43 AM
I think there'll be a sequel regardless if it breaks 200 mil. The way I see it, if they've made sequels to movies like "Big Momma's House" and "Deuce Bigalow", then there's certainly more than enough hope for Supes.

JediTricks
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I think there'll be a sequel regardless if it breaks 200 mil. The way I see it, if they've made sequels to movies like "Big Momma's House" and "Deuce Bigalow", then there's certainly more than enough hope for Supes.Big Momma's House -
budget: $30mil
opening weekend gross: $25mil
total US box office gross: $118mil

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo -
budget: $17mil
opening weekend gross: $12mil
total US box office gross: $66mil

That is why those movies got sequels, they made nearly all their money back on opening weekend and went on to make almost 4 times what they cost - that is what's known as a box-office smash - they made lots of money. Superman may have a lot of fans, but it hasn't done anywhere near that good so far and will be lucky to break even at the box office with its hefty pricetag at all at this rate, much less turn a significant profit. At a quarter-billion dollars of Warner Bros' money at risk, it seems like a sequel is hardly "more than hopeful" at this rate.

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, Bryan Singer's so damn passionate about the man of steel I wouldn't be surprised if he shelled out some of his own millions just to get the sequel off the ground.

JON9000
07-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Superman may have a lot of fans, but it hasn't done anywhere near that good so far and will be lucky to break even at the box office with its hefty pricetag at all at this rate, much less turn a significant profit. At a quarter-billion dollars of Warner Bros' money at risk, it seems like a sequel is hardly "more than hopeful" at this rate.

I think the costs associated with developing a sequel will be considerably less than the listed cost of making Returns. A lot of that $300 mil went into a lot of stuff that went down before Singer was brought on (tons of money wasted in development), so I've heard. Additionally, you have a lot of stuff already done now that you wouldn't have to do over again. I would hope, too, that if they make another film, it clocks in under 2 hours.

2-1B
07-14-2006, 12:00 AM
WOW JT, you completely spooked me. :D JUST as I was reading your "Big Momma's House" comment, Conan O'Brien used a picture of Big Momma in his "If They Mated" bit...seriously, the coincidental timing was CREEEEEEPY. :crazed:

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I just Downloaded this and watched it last night and I was so surprised by the plot twists and outcome, very good ideas. If anyone needs that link let me know. ;)

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I think the costs associated with developing a sequel will be considerably less than the listed cost of making Returns. A lot of that $300 mil went into a lot of stuff that went down before Singer was brought on (tons of money wasted in development), so I've heard. Additionally, you have a lot of stuff already done now that you wouldn't have to do over again. I would hope, too, that if they make another film, it clocks in under 2 hours.Just about $50mil of the budget was pre-Singer development, so the other $205mil (that they admitted to, plus the $40-80mil of marketing for it) is still is a big issue weighing on the question of a sequel. Also, I asked before how that $200mil appears on screen as I didn't see it, part of the problem with the massive f/x budget for this one was that they farmed out the work to a dozen separate companies, so each one had to start from scratch on their own and then have the work married into one another, a sequel's f/x might be extremely problematic because of this since they can't recycle much of that due to the high number of players.

darthvyn
07-25-2006, 08:07 AM
so i saw it again with my father-in-law, and during the space shuttle cockpit scenes, i was like "i think that's richard branson" (since he's all about the new business space travel with "virgin galactic" and all that...)

well, it is! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson) (do a word search for "superman" when you get to that page...)

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
November 28th, please get here soon!!

Looks like November 28th is a second Superman Day in 2006.

DVDActive.com reports that the DVD release of "Superman Returns" will be available on November 28th.

WHV will be releasing two different DVD editions. You can buy the single disc ($28.98) or the double disc ($34.99) edition. Each will carry a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

Apparently the single disc edition has no extra features, while the double disc edition will include deleted scenes and a 3 hour documentary titled "Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns" which takes you behind the scenes onto the set of the movie.

Rocketboy
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
'bout time they announced a release date.

And I'm already dreading another Batman Begins 2-disc fiasco.

General_Grievous
09-14-2006, 03:32 PM
'bout time they announced a release date.

And I'm already dreading another Batman Begins 2-disc fiasco.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should only release the 2 disc DVDs. Way to waste space with those ripoff single disc barebones editions.

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Warner Bros does this with just about every major movie they put out now, they did it with Batman Begins (and that comic made it a fiasco as mentioned above), they did it with V for Vendetta, it's what they live for and it's scummy.

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Pics of the covers:

single disc version
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-returns10/sr-dvd-1disc.jpg

2-disc special edition
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-returns10/sr-dvd-2disc.jpg

Rocketboy
09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow, how carpy.
Looks like I'll have to finish up my own cover pretty soon.

Jayspawn
09-17-2006, 10:20 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should only release the 2 disc DVDs. Way to waste space with those ripoff single disc barebones editions.

I aggree. If I was a Director/Studio Boss in charge of those. I would only release Director's Editions in the deluxe standard. What a waste of a DVD otherwise.

Anyways, I cant wait for Superman Returns on DVD. I had no problem getting 2-disc Batman Begins either. I hope Bryan Singer has another Superman movie in the works -I'd definatly wouldnt miss it.

JON9000
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowbizNews.asp?Code=BW204541S&headline=hamlet_jude

Could it be? The return of ZOD?!!!

El Chuxter
10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh, hell yeah!

That may not seem particularly insightful, but what else need be said?

Tycho
10-17-2006, 05:26 PM
So what will be the continuity?

Smallville
Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman & Zod

stuff that never happened with Richard Pryor, etc. (and I never watched Lois and Clark, so I can't comment on that).

El Chuxter
10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Here's the major ones, off-hand:

Continuity 1: All comics prior to the 1950s (Earth 1)

Continuity 2: All comics from the 1950s to approximately 1985 (Earth 2)

Continuity 3: All comics published since The Man of Steel #1 (1986?) (current DC continuity)

Continuity 4: Superman (Max Fleischer animated series)

Continuity 5: The Adventures of Superman (B&W TV show)

Continuity 6: Justice League of America (1960s-70s cartoon)
Challenge of the Super-Friends
Super Powers
Scooby-Doo Meets Batman (?)

Continuity 7: Superman
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Continuity 8: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (loosely based on a futuristic version of the 1960s Batman... yes, Superman plays a major role here or I wouldn't have listed it)
Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Continuity 9: The Adventures of Superboy (1980s show)

Continuity 10: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Continuity 11: Batman: The Animated Series
The Batman & Robin Adventures
Superman: The Animated Series
The Batman/Superman Movie
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman: Sub-Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond
tie-in comics to all above
(Not sure if the current Legion of Superheroes cartoon is in this universe or not. Teen Titans certainly doesn't fit with the Robin as seen in various episodes of Batman and Superman.)

Continuity 12: Kingdom Come (loosely based on a futuristic version of the current DC Universe)

Continuity 13: Smallville

Continuity 14: Superman (Max Fleischer cartoon) ("vague history")
The Adventures of Superman (B&W TV show) ("vague history")
Superman ("vague history")
Superman II (presumably the upcoming Donner cut) ("vague history")
Superman Returns
Superman Returns II (???)
(I haven't heard anything about Smallville fitting into this continuity under "vague history," but I see no reason it couldn't.)

2-1B
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
The thought of Zod's return excited me...until I saw Jude Law's name attached.

Tycho
10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow. Chuxter's a real Superman expert. Thanks for the info.

[Aside]: Perhaps he is really Brainiac invading our home computers?

General_Grievous
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I thought Jude was approached for "Returns" but turned it down.....???

Droid
10-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't see Jude Law as Zod. I don't see how they have Zod at all if they stick with the Superman II happened bit.

Rocketboy
10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought Jude was approached for "Returns" but turned it down.....???I believe you're right.

Where is Heels when you need him?

JediTricks
10-18-2006, 01:16 PM
So, here's a question I thought of in another thread recently, in Superman II, Clark has the Fortress turn him into a real boy so he can have a relationship with Lois, during that relationship he impregnates her, then to fight the threat of Zod he has the Fortress return him to his Kryptonian powers - how is it then in SR that Clark & Lois' baby has super powers when Clark was a normal human when they were together?

The thought of Zod's return excited me...until I saw Jude Law's name attached.Jude Law was Bryan Singer's only choice to play Zod, Singer approached Law for the part and was going to have Zod in Superman Returns, but Law didn't want to do it so Singer refused to include the character rather than let someone else play him.

I thought Jude was approached for "Returns" but turned it down.....???Yes, that's absolutely correct, for the Zod role no less.

I don't see Jude Law as Zod. I don't see how they have Zod at all if they stick with the Superman II happened bit.As I mentioned above, Zod was in Superman Returns until Law turned the role down, it seems Bryan Singer was determined to bring Zod back into the fray, maybe even wipe out much of Superman II's continuity to do it, more homagery rather than sequel.

El Chuxter
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Superman II is "vague history," meaning that all the suck was taken out. In other words, only about three minutes remain, all involving Zod causing all sorts of mayhem and commanding people to kneel. :)

Tycho
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
So, here's a question I thought of in another thread recently, in Superman II, Clark has the Fortress turn him into a real boy so he can have a relationship with Lois, during that relationship he impregnates her, then to fight the threat of Zod he has the Fortress return him to his Kryptonian powers - how is it then in SR that Clark & Lois' baby has super powers when Clark was a normal human when they were together?

Clark is still going to have alien DNA. Obviously even he doesn't know what that will mean towards having a child.

Oh brother. I tried to censor myself halfway, JT. I tried.

JediTricks
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Clark is still going to have alien DNA. Obviously even he doesn't know what that will mean towards having a child. If he still had Kryptonian DNA in those scenes, he'd still have superpowers, and wouldn't be able to create a child with a human.

Oh brother. I tried to censor myself halfway, JT. I tried.And failed, I had to remove it, totally inappropriate.

Tycho
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
If he still had Kryptonian DNA in those scenes, he'd still have superpowers, and wouldn't be able to create a child with a human.

That's the thing with Superman - it's not Star Trek, it's not even "because of the Midi-Chlorians." It is total fantasy and there's hardly any logical explanation for how an ice fortress removes DNA or a meteor rock struck by lightning, etc. That sometimes really bugs me about Smallville / Superman. His DNA makes him what he is. Why doesn't he become a girl or an ardvark when his powers are gone if his DNA is changed? Hehe - turning into Krypto would be an even better disguise than Clark Kent.

And failed, I had to remove it, totally inappropriate.

That's what you're here for. I hope you at least laughed at my off-color sense of humor before you deleted it. If we were in a bar with a couple of drinks, you know it would have been both worse, and even funnier :D

2-1B
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Interesting, thanks for the Zod/Returns info JT...wow, I guess that's pretty firm of Singer to stick to his guns on having Law or nobody else in the role. :)

Who else do we think could pull off Zod ? Stamp was great so all will be compared to him...maybe it would be more fair if we were talking about casting a comic book character and not "recasting" an actor like Stamp ? :confused:

JetsAndHeels
10-18-2006, 10:15 PM
His DNA makes him what he is. Why doesn't he become a girl or an ardvark when his powers are gone if his DNA is changed?

His dense molecular structure makes him different, and once Earth's yellow sun charges his cells up his powers are greatly multiplied. If he were to be on Krypton or somewhere with a Red Sun, he would be just like any regular human being.

Just because he has alien DNA, he cannot become something else. He has great powers, but he isn't a mutant. :D

El Chuxter
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
So what's up with the DVD?

I ask because amazon.com still doesn't have a product page for either version, and deepdiscountdvd.com has big red letters stating "This Item Is Not Available." Has it been cancelled or delayed, or are both sites behind in updating their info?

I recall with Batman Begins that amazon.com was cheaper by several dollars, but I don't want to order if there's any word of cool freebies anywhere.

JediTricks
10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
That's the thing with Superman - it's not Star Trek, it's not even "because of the Midi-Chlorians." It is total fantasy and there's hardly any logical explanation for how an ice fortress removes DNA or a meteor rock struck by lightning, etc. That sometimes really bugs me about Smallville / Superman. His DNA makes him what he is. Why doesn't he become a girl or an ardvark when his powers are gone if his DNA is changed? Hehe - turning into Krypto would be an even better disguise than Clark Kent.Superman is "science fiction", he's from another planet not a magical elfworld, granted it's really light scifi but it's scifi none the less and the comics have gotten pretty deep into the "science" aspect, they're the basis of the character and the mythos.

That's what you're here for. I hope you at least laughed at my off-color sense of humor before you deleted it. If we were in a bar with a couple of drinks, you know it would have been both worse, and even funnier :D'Fraid not, it's territory that's been covered before, I never thought it was all that well thought-out to begin with, long before you brought it up.

Interesting, thanks for the Zod/Returns info JT...wow, I guess that's pretty firm of Singer to stick to his guns on having Law or nobody else in the role. :)Yeah, almost surprising really, it would have completely changed the flavor of SR too but Singer stood fast on what he had in his head I guess - either that or he has a crush on Jude Law. :p

Who else do we think could pull off Zod ? Stamp was great so all will be compared to him...maybe it would be more fair if we were talking about casting a comic book character and not "recasting" an actor like Stamp ? :confused:They recast Jimmy, Perry, and Lois notably different from their Superman 1 & 2 actors and characterizations, so I think Zod can be cast in that universe separate from Stamp without taking the notion out of the movies. The role Stamp gave us is kinda low-key really, he doesn't do a lot of big scenes, he waits until the time is right to go big - that's something the director should be in charge of, but most likely it'll have to come down to casting. I think Liam Neeson might make a good Zod, he's even tall enough to play against Brandon Routh (Neeson is 6' 4", Routh is 6' 3"), he's a tad older than Stamp was in Superman 2 but I think Neeson would work none the less.

His dense molecular structure makes him different, and once Earth's yellow sun charges his cells up his powers are greatly multiplied. If he were to be on Krypton or somewhere with a Red Sun, he would be just like any regular human being.

Just because he has alien DNA, he cannot become something else. He has great powers, but he isn't a mutant. :DTrue, but his DNA makes up his physiology and his physiology is what makes it possible for him to be super-powered under the yellow sun. Even if you drain him of his powers, once he gets back under the yellow sun briefly he's recharged - the only way to block that without changing the sun's radiation is to change Clark's physiology.

JON9000
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
y'know, color in the silver hair and Stamp has aged remarkably well over the last 25 years, with no closeups... I'm just sayin'! :thumbsup:

Or you could let Law have the part, and let Stamp do a voiceover. Nobody else could possibly utter the signature line quite like Stamp.

When it happens, I guarantee more cheers than "I'm tired of the these motherloving snakes..."

They recast Jimmy, Perry, and Lois notably different from their Superman 1 & 2 actors and characterizations

All to varying degrees of disaster! I really missed the old Perry, shooting out dialogue so rapidly that you had to listen to it twice to get all the jokes. And Kate B. looks more like someone who would take over Castle Grayskull than Langella. I miss the sassy 70's Lois.

pbarnard
10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Or you could let Law have the part, and let Stamp do a voiceover. Nobody else could possibly utter the signature line quite like Stamp.

When it happens, I guarantee more cheers than "I'm tired of the these motherloving snakes..."

"Will you allow us to discuss this in comittee?"

JediTricks
10-19-2006, 04:32 PM
y'know, color in the silver hair and Stamp has aged remarkably well over the last 25 years, with no closeups... I'm just sayin'! :thumbsup:He's not in the same physical condition anymore, he could probably pull it off but just barely - I mean, there ARE older generals after all, but seeing a senior citizen smash up Metropolis might come off a tad silly.

All to varying degrees of disaster! I really missed the old Perry, shooting out dialogue so rapidly that you had to listen to it twice to get all the jokes. And Kate B. looks more like someone who would take over Castle Grayskull than Langella. I miss the sassy 70's Lois.Poor Kate Bosworth, just because she's given up eating doesn't mean she's Skeletor. :p Yeah, I didn't really care for the casting/acting of those guys either, but they're in the movie so they're a precendence for a new Zod.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Singer stood fast on what he had in his head I guess - either that or he has a crush on Jude Law. :p

Uh oh ! :D I was NOT thinking along those lines...lol

I think Zod can be cast in that universe separate from Stamp without taking the notion out of the movies. The role Stamp gave us is kinda low-key really, he doesn't do a lot of big scenes

Sure, whatever JT. :rolleyes: You talk as if not everybody is as obsessed with Zod as Chux is. :rolleyes:

;)

:grin:

DarkArtist
10-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Zod would be welcome. Not sure who I would want to play hime though. Stamp did an amazing job and to see someone else in the role would be strange. Liam Nielson would be a decent choice, afterall he did do a great job in Batman Begins.

On a side note, does anyone know when Superman Returns will be out on DVD ?

JetsAndHeels
10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
On a side note, does anyone know when Superman Returns will be out on DVD ?

November 28th is the date as of right now.

General_Grievous
10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
So what's up with the DVD?

I ask because amazon.com still doesn't have a product page for either version, and deepdiscountdvd.com has big red letters stating "This Item Is Not Available." Has it been cancelled or delayed, or are both sites behind in updating their info?

I recall with Batman Begins that amazon.com was cheaper by several dollars, but I don't want to order if there's any word of cool freebies anywhere.

I think everything's okay with the DVD. It's the game that keeps getting delayed. :mad: And I really want to play that mother. I'm sure you're on the same page as me J 'n H. What's the release for the game now? November 20th?

JetsAndHeels
10-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I think everything's okay with the DVD. It's the game that keeps getting delayed. :mad: And I really want to play that mother. I'm sure you're on the same page as me J 'n H. What's the release for the game now? November 20th?

Yeah, Nov. 20th on the game.
If you need something good to hold you over, try the Justice League Heroes game. Its good.

Jayspawn
10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm more than ready for the DVD. I call it Superman DVD Day as I'll also be getting the 4-Disc version of the 1st film, the Donner Cut of II and the Special Edition of Returns.

Its gonna be great! Very gratifying.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm more than ready for the DVD. I call it Superman DVD Day as I'll also be getting the 4-Disc version of the 1st film, the Donner Cut of II and the Special Edition of Returns.

And very expensive! I'm hoping that the Deep Discount DVD sale falls along the date when all those Superman flicks go on sale. That would help me out, OODLES. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
10-23-2006, 02:03 PM

I'm getting the same stuff as you plus the regular 2-disc Superman II. I would have gotten that 14 disc Collection but III and IV sucked so bad I don't even want them in my house, let alone my DVD shelf.

Droid
10-24-2006, 08:35 AM
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm

Superman Returns has broken $200 million domestic so if the rule was that there would not be a sequel unless it broke that amount, I guess there will be a sequel.

Tycho
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM

Superman Returns has broken $200 million domestic so if the rule was that there would not be a sequel unless it broke that amount, I guess there will be a sequel.

It will be called "2 Super, 2 Men" and about Kryptonians who eat 2 much.

A resonating social theme throughout the picture will be America's obesity problem.

In the sequel, Lois Light with have to help Caloric Kent ("Cal") stop the drunkard Lots Lager (who's been possesed by General Mills) from getting Cal to consume too many beer nuts, from which his super-reaction to them could cause the whole planet to explode!

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
It will be called "2 Super, 2 Men" and about Kryptonians who eat 2 much.

A resonating social theme throughout the picture will be America's obesity problem.

In the sequel, Lois Light with have to help Caloric Kent ("Cal") stop the drunkard Lots Lager (who's been possesed by General Mills) from getting Cal to consume too many beer nuts, from which his super-reaction to them could cause the whole planet to explode!

Has anyone told you lately that you are insane?
If not, then you are. :)

JediTricks
10-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Superman Returns has broken $200 million domestic so if the rule was that there would not be a sequel unless it broke that amount, I guess there will be a sequel.That wasn't the rule, it was something along the lines of it had to make money domestically, the budget was $270 mil according to BOMojo there. In the amount of time it took to make just $200 mil here, I won't be surprised if WB is scared to commit to a sequel.

Droid
10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
The article where I got the idea that it just had to make 200 million in the U.S.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/10/exclusive-super-200-million-man-or-else/

Frankly I don't care if they make a sequel. I thought Superman Returns was a real mixed bag.

Looking back now they spent way too much time on the whole Superman as savior thing and not enough time on Superman/Clark's relationships with people. They shouldn't have had Lois engaged or with a kid. It was a distraction. In the end too many things took away from having more time with Clark/Superman and Lois, Clark/Superman and Ma Kent, or even Clark/Superman and Jimmy. And Perry White was a cardboard cutout of a character. No personality at all.

And looking back, it would have been nice to see some interchange between Lex and Superman/Clark. I always have preferred the Lex as evil business man to Lex as mad scientist. I think it makes for a more interesting story where Lois/Clark/Superman are suspicious of Lex and trying to nail him and they can talk and play cat and mouse rather than the moment Superman gets in the room he tries to capture Lex so Lex better have some Kryptonite.

Tycho
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Smallville has the cast and the formula down right. That's all I have to say.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 01:43 PM
The article where I got the idea that it just had to make 200 million in the U.S.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/10/exclusive-super-200-million-man-or-else/

Frankly I don't care if they make a sequel. I thought Superman Returns was a real mixed bag.I hadn't seen that article, the ones I saw said they had to make it turn a profit domestically, and that meant making back the $205 mil budget, the $50 mil or so development costs, and a large chunk of marketing coin.

Droid
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
I think it is stupid to make it get back the development costs if they include the incarnations that didn't get made. How is that Superman Returns' fault or a commentary on the money making ability of Superman Returns?

But they do have to keep in mind a sequel probably wouldn't break $150 million. Just the nature of sequels.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Because they consider all of the other incarnations part of this film, basically building blocks to making this movie.

JetsAndHeels
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Bryan's doing another one, I'm certain of it....and I will be ready to see it come opening day

JetsAndHeels
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
IESB.net are reporting that Bryan Singer and Warner Bros. signed a deal this past weekend to make a sequel to "Superman Returns", with production to start some time around September 2007. Here's an excerpt from the IESB.net article...

We have been told that a couple of things are for certain. For one, the sequel will have a slightly smaller budget. Returns budget was approximately $208 million dollars with P&A (prints and ads) of about $50 million putting it at around $260. The sequel is expected to be around $140-175 million plus marketing.

Second, more action, tons more action is expected this time around. The studio was quite happy with the way Supes was reintroduced to the world and next time around expect to see him in full action battle mode. We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

El Chuxter
10-27-2006, 04:48 PM
So, again, what's the deal with the DVD? I can't find preorder info anywhere, and it's coming out a month from tomorrow. Rather strange. Is something going on, or are all the retail sites just incredibly behind?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
So, again, what's the deal with the DVD? I can't find preorder info anywhere, and it's coming out a month from tomorrow. Rather strange. Is something going on, or are all the retail sites just incredibly behind?

Both Wal-Mart and Best Buy have pre-orders on their website still slated for the 28th. In fact, their SE is 34 bucks, which makes me wonder what Best Buy exclusive they'll be having. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
10-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Both Wal-Mart and Best Buy have pre-orders on their website still slated for the 28th. In fact, their SE is 34 bucks, which makes me wonder what Best Buy exclusive they'll be having. :thumbsup:

If WM, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City etc all have good exclusives I am looking at several copies of the movie. :)

El Chuxter
10-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm willing to bet there won't be any worthwhile exclusives. The only one I can recall for Batman Begins was a disc of two episodes of the craptacularly forgettable The Batman at WM, packaged "free" with the 1-disc version. . . for the same price as the 2-disc version.

We should've heard news about exclusives already.

I was wondering mainly about amazon.com and deepdiscountdvd.com, who had the best deal on the 2-disc Batman Begins by a pretty wide margin. Oh, and as tough as it turned out to find with the original comic, it was worth waiting an extra week for it.

Tycho
10-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Geeze: I just want the movie! Only with Star Wars did I go for exclusives (Wal*Mart in that case) with Episode 3.

DarkArtist
11-02-2006, 02:52 PM

What are some of the features on the Four Disc Set of Superman ? Curious as I have the first release on DVD and wondering if it will be worth it to get the 4 disc set.

JON9000
11-02-2006, 05:56 PM
What are some of the features on the Four Disc Set of Superman ? Curious as I have the first release on DVD and wondering if it will be worth it to get the 4 disc set.

It has the theatrical version as well as the version you already have on DVD (which I find superior). I know that much.

Jayspawn
11-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I dont know the details offhand. I've read up on them but cant remeber where. BUT, with 4 discs can you have any dought? I dont.

I really need a Superman fix. Trying...to....hold...out...

JetsAndHeels
11-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Here (http://warnerbros.eprize.net/lexreturns/index.tbapp?affiliate_id=&noflash=noflash&page=int ro&session_id=kpgiuna3swhiy647) is the site with info on the dvd release and the video game.
Hopefully this helps some.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Here (http://warnerbros.eprize.net/lexreturns/index.tbapp?affiliate_id=&noflash=noflash&page=int ro&session_id=kpgiuna3swhiy647) is the site with info on the dvd release and the video game.
Hopefully this helps some.

I really really hope that the game is as fantastic as i'm dreaming it is. :crazed:

Tycho
11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
How can you make a video game out of Superman Returns?

OK, a Smallville fan, I could see Clark fighting a bunch of Phantom Zoners in various scenerios with General Zod appearing - but other than that, what does Lex Luthor do? Escape from jail and you have to catch him and return him every level?

I guess I just don't see Superman Returns on a level some of you might.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Dude, did you even WATCH the trailer? It's feeding off the Spidey 2 engine where you have the movie's storyline as well as other villians that weren't featured in the film. Metropolis is HUGE.

Try viewing the trailer and doing some homework on it. :lipsrsealed:

Tycho
11-04-2006, 02:25 PM
No, JMG - I didn't see a trailer for the game. Got a link handy?

I'll take a look.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2006, 02:59 PM
No, JMG - I didn't see a trailer for the game. Got a link handy?

I'll take a look.

Yeah, about four or five posts above the link J&H provided. It has a game trailer. And refer to www.ign.com for all the research. :thumbsup:

Tycho
11-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey, that was actually pretty cool.

I never got sucked into video gaming (don't own a console and don't want to have to keep investing in new ones every so many years) - but it was curiously cool and different from the typical Star Wars games or driving / flight simulartors that I look at.

JetsAndHeels
11-04-2006, 03:26 PM
The game was originally scheduled for release in June but EA had to delay it because of the task of finalizing the engine and so forth. I was upset at first, but now I can appreciate the game's release even more. This game is by far the one I am looking forward to the most since I have had a PS2 (and I am a huge madden player each year so that says something). Now that I have beaten Justice League Heroes several times I just need to be patient for a couple more weeks until I get my copy of SR.