PDA

View Full Version : Wii (Release Date & Price Info)

DarthQuack
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Anyone planning on getting this system? I have always been faithful to Nintendo and I will follow suit with this system as well, the dual controllers look fun and will be a hell of a lot cheaper than PS3 although I'm sure that system will get more play which is why I'll buy 4 of them to sell on eBay for the holiday season. :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I plan on getting it when it comes out.

Slicker
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll wait until the price plummets after the release of the PS3.

UKWildcat
05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure if I will get the Wii right when it comes out but I will get it at some point just for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Like Slick, I will most likely wait for a price drop.

Rogue II
05-24-2006, 01:52 PM
The rumored price at launch is between $200 and $250. It will most likely be our "family gift" from Santa.

Lord Malakite
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I'll wait until the price plummets after the release of the PS3.
Plummet after the PS3 release, you got to be kidding me Slick. With the PS3 price point set at $499 and $599 (depending on which size HD bundle you buy) and the Wii's price being estimated to be somewhere between $150 and $250 that could be a very long wait.:D

El Chuxter
05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I can't wait to invite some friends over to play with my Wii.

Sorry, have I made that joke before?

Slicker
05-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Sorry, have I made that joke before?Looking through the rest of this thread I'm gonna have to say no. That was quite original and very funny. haha.

starwarsfan1
05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I cant wait for the Wii. I always knew that Nintendo would incorporate Twilight Princess with Wii. I was just waiting for them to make it official. The new SSB looks sweet especially with Snake (Metal Gear Solid series) jumping into the action. Metroid Prime 3 looks good as well and same with Super Mario Galaxies. All of these titles will be availible at launch and with the system being set at about $200 I will have just enough to get it all along with some extra Wii remotes. I just hope a Star Wars game gets made for the Wii. It will be the closest thing we have to using a real lightsaber. The PS3 is going to throw alot of people away. I mean how many people in this day and age are going to be able to afford a $600 system? And if you buy the $500 one you lose all of the features. So Sony pretty muchs screws people from all directions. Also they totally stole the Wii's motion controller idea. Those little pricks. All well it all goes to so Nintendo is heading in the right direction.

So heres what I have to say to Sony. Wii Will Wii Will Rock You!!!!!!!!!!!!lollollollollollollollollol

Kidhuman
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Wii are the world.....

Slicker
05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
I have a lovely bunch of coconuts...

Rogue II
05-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I mean how many people in this day and age are going to be able to afford a $600 system? And if you buy the $500 one you lose all of the features. So Sony pretty muchs screws people from all directions. Also they totally stole the Wii's motion controller idea. Those little pricks. All well it all goes to so Nintendo is heading in the right direction.

Don't forget the $60 price tag on the games (as if $50 wasn't bad enough). I'd like a PS3, but it will be a long time before I get one.

El Chuxter
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Silly me, I'm actually considering getting a PS2 now that the price is going to plummet. :)

Rogue II
05-24-2006, 06:07 PM
The price for a PS2 just dropped last week. They are going for $130 now.

hango fett
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
i will be getting on of every system if it is at all possible finacianlly. so...i better start saving, huh?
HF

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Sorry, have I made that joke before?
You owe me 3 cents.

Lord Malakite
05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I cant wait for the Wii. I always knew that Nintendo would incorporate Twilight Princess with Wii. I was just waiting for them to make it official. The new SSB looks sweet especially with Snake (Metal Gear Solid series) jumping into the action. Metroid Prime 3 looks good as well and same with Super Mario Galaxies. All of these titles will be availible at launch and with the system being set at about $200 I will have just enough to get it all along with some extra Wii remotes.
There are actually two versions of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in the works. One will be a GCN game and the other will be a Wii game, both set to launch on the same date as Wii. The Wii version will support a widescreen option and will take advantage of the Wii remote's capabilities while the GCN version will only use the GCN controller and have no widescreen option. At the moment it is unclear if the Wii version can also use a GCN controller or not. Initial reports from E3 stated no, but there have been a few whispers since suggesting that it might.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is also currently listed as another Wii launch game. Super Mario Galaxy though is unclear at this point. Miyamoto's team is reporting that while the game is coming along nicely and they are aiming for it to be a launch game it may still miss out. If it does miss launch though Miyamoto has gone on record to say it will be available within the first 6 months of Wii's release. Super Mario Galaxy is also still only a working title for the game. Its possible the game could also recieve a name change by the time it hits shelves.

Despite earlier claims from Nintendo prior to E3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is still only in the relatively early stages of concept and development and has been retracted as a launch title. It is currently expected to come out sometime in late 2007 at the earliest.

I just hope a Star Wars game gets made for the Wii. It will be the closest thing we have to using a real lightsaber.
At the end of a game demonstration at E3 questions were raised about the possibility of a Wii game which garnered knowing smiles from the room of LucasArts employees. Comments of "We are looking into it" were heard from members of their staff as ideas for the game were discussed among the people in the room. At the moment though LucasArts has made no official announcements about any planned Wii titles.

The PS3 is going to throw alot of people away. I mean how many people in this day and age are going to be able to afford a $600 system? And if you buy the $500 one you lose all of the features. So Sony pretty muchs screws people from all directions.
Pretty much.:D In addition to a smaller 20GB hard drive the cheaper PS3 is reported as having no HDMI port. Could be worse though. In Japan Sony is letting retailers sale the 60 GB hard drive PS3 for whatever price they wish to set.

Also they totally stole the Wii's motion controller idea. Those little pricks. All well it all goes to so Nintendo is heading in the right direction.
Even though the PS3 controller seems to have the same technology as the Wii controller in name doesn't mean it is the same in function. The Wii controller has the ability to point at any television with pixel-perfect control. It also can move in three dimensional space and by adding the control of the nunchuck device you get tilt functionality and analog joystick control to any game. The technology inside the PS3 controller is just a basic tilting accelerometer device. Simply put, it's tilt vs. motion sensing. Wii has both options available to it, the PS3 only has tilt.

This could change slightly in the future though. A lesser known company called GestureTek (http://nintendo.about.com/library/sonysfall/blwiips3601.htm) was at E3 2006 showing off the SDK they developed for Microsoft and Sony for use with the Xbox Vision and PS3 EyeToy cameras that can mimic the effects of Wii's motion sensing capabilities fairly well. They were quoted as saying "We can't tell you...what Microsoft is going to do. All we can tell you is what they can do..." As of last month, Xbox 360 developers had the tools needed to reproduce every demo Nintendo had on the E3 floor. The major hurdle Sony and Microsoft will have to overcome though is that the PS3 EyeToy and Xbox Vision, as well as the proper SDK, will all be add-on accesories for seperate purchase. Wii on the other hand will have these capabilities right out of the box. Its harder to convince companies to create motion based games when the technology to play such games will not be in everyone's possession.

Lord Malakite
05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I should also point out two other news worthy things briefly about Wii. First is bad news. Apparently halogen lights create an interference (according to Nintendo) that tends to mess with the Wii's sensor bar and the Wii remote's sensing capabilities. Now for the good news. All indications from Nintendo and third party companies currently suggests that Wii will be released sometime in late October rather than November.

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Do they know why the lights interfere? The strange thing is that it could be leaky RF *or* it could be ambient infrared.

Banthaholic
05-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm just looking forward to Zelda Twilight Princess. I was intending to get the Wii eventually, but if this game is out on both this and Gamecube I might have to spring for the Wii right away. Link shall ride again

Lord Malakite
05-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Do they know why the lights interfere? The strange thing is that it could be leaky RF *or* it could be ambient infrared.
The exact quote from Kotaku is: "There is concern about stores using halogen lighting. Tons of halogen spotlights scattered about may give everything a much warmer and more ambient feel. However, this particular type of lighting can throw off the aiming of the Wii controller when the lights are angled down through the path of the signal. So for people with halogen track-lighting in front of the TV, this could be a problem." So nothing directly has been said about what causes the problem but based on how this is worded I'm guessing it most likely has to do with the ambient infrared.

JediTricks
05-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah, it's got to be, the radiation wouldn't be as much of a directional issue. I'm kinda surprised this thing is visually-based, I was under the impression it wasn't.

Lord Malakite
05-30-2006, 03:42 AM
No one outside of Nintendo and the other game developers know for certain how the Wii remote works in detail but it does appear to be (at least in part) visual based from what I can gather out of various hands on game impressions and general tech junkies' speculation going on in other message board discussions. You might find this discussion (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99587) to be of particular interest on the matter JT.

In addition here is a recent picture of the sensor bar from this year's E3.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. It works via some sort of radio communications (wifi I believe), it has physical tilt sensors (the accelerometer they're discussing in that thread) and it has some sort of IR for positioning as well, this is a very busy little motion-tracking system. And there's mention of a CMOS in there as well which can track multiple objects at once, my guess is that's the CMOS visual sensorr, that this is way more complex than a simple photocell resistor circuit. Although that thread says otherwise, I believe the CMOS has to be in the sensor bar, and probably uses a conical viewing angle for width and depth knowledge, but I still can't figure how this thing will work on any size TV since that'd be a major variable as one of the main dynamics of where the user is and why he's moving (maybe you have to tell it ahead of time what size TV it's sitting on) - this would be the same problem if the CMOS was in the wiimote the way those guys are saying, there'd be no reason for the sensor bar accessory to be plugged into the console since it could send its tracking data passively (looks like it has 2 sets of 4 LEDs on either side, but what about the middle), and I can't imagine them using a CMOS in the remote to actually translate data on the screen and communicate that wirelessly to the console, that'd be a buttload of info to go back and forth and back again.

My bet is that there's 1 more piece of tracking tech in these that hasn't been uncovered yet, probably an RFID tracker.

Lord Malakite
05-31-2006, 12:43 PM
My bet is that there's 1 more piece of tracking tech in these that hasn't been uncovered yet, probably an RFID tracker.
Its possible. Until some tech junkie outside of Nintendo and third party developers gets a chance to disassemble and play around with the remote and sensor bar there is no telling though.

hango fett
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
is there a set release date for the wii yet besides "before the end of the year"?
???
HF

Lord Malakite
06-05-2006, 02:21 AM
An official release date has not been set by Nintendo yet hango, but based on what third parties are currently saying about their tentative Wii titles' release dates it is expected by most analysts to be sometime in late October or early November to get a head start on the PS3.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
When the dog starts chewing on the controller, do you think anybody will shout "damnit, get the wii out of the dog's mouth!" :D

(I owe me 3 cents)

hango fett
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
malakite: ok thats what i thought.
JT: well, my dog is to old to chew anything like that up, so i won't have that problem. but, yes, maybe.
HF

Rogue II
07-05-2006, 03:44 PM
From CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm?eref=yahoo):

Nintendo's Wii may get early launch
Industry observers expect company's new video game machine to launch before the PlayStation 3 - perhaps by a month or more.
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris
July 5 2006: 11:32 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Nintendo has stated numerous times that its next generation video game machine will be less expensive than the competition. Now it appears that it might be on store shelves considerably earlier than many were expecting as well.

While Nintendo has not made any formal announcements about the launch date for the Wii, most of the industry has expected the machine to hit retail at approximately the same time as Sony's PlayStation 3 (which is set for November 17). Now, industry observers - and insiders - say they expect the system to be available in October, with late September a dark horse candidate.

Indeed, the company appears to be already manufacturing final retail units of the Wii, according to a June 21st analyst's note from P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research. That would give it a significant head start over Sony (Charts), which has yet to begin final manufacturing of the PlayStation 3. Microsoft's first Xbox 360 did not roll off the assembly line last year until 69 days before the on sale date of Nov. 22. (That late start in production is the root cause behind last holiday's shortages.)

"October is a reasonable timeframe," wrote McNealy.

Nintendo has downplayed any suggested dates. Other industry insiders, who asked not to be named, though, said they, too, are expecting a September or October launch for the Wii.

Early manufacturing will certainly help Nintendo do a better job of meeting consumer demand. New console launches traditionally sell out fast. Because of manufacturing problems, Microsoft (Charts) was not able to come anywhere close to meeting worldwide demand. Widespread shortages of the PlayStation 3 are also expected. Nintendo, like Sony, has given guidance that it expects to ship 6 million units by March 2007.

A pre-November launch wouldn't be an unusual move for the company. In fact, it was only with the GameCube that the company opted for a November release for a home system. The NES, which established the company as a force in the gaming space, was released in the U.S. on Oct. 18, 1985. The Nintendo 64 dropped on Sept. 29, 1996.

Pricing for the Wii remains a question mark, but the most likely price points are $199 or $249. That would put it considerably below the PS3, which will sell two versions for $499 and $599. Microsoft is not expected to cut the prices of the two versions of the Xbox 360, which currently cost $299 and $399.

That price would also be closer to the sweet spot for mainstream consumers, which the company has said is its primary target this generation. The Wii breaks many of the video game industry's traditional rules for a "next generation" console. Graphics on games that have been shown to media are not dramatically better than those found on GameCube games - and the system will not support high definition video, unlike its competitors who are using the move to HDTVs as a major part of their system. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has also vowed to keep game prices lower than the $60 price tag for many Xbox 360 games (a price that's expected to be mirrored for many PS3 titles).

The most unusual aspect of the Wii, however, is its controller, which resembles a television remote-control. Instead of worrying about which button or which thumbstick corresponds to which action, Wii players will simply move their hands and wrists. That movement is then translated into onscreen movements. The remote also features two prominent buttons where the player's thumb and forefinger will rest.

Nintendo also has yet to announce the full list of games that will launch alongside the Wii, though it has confirmed "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" and "Metroid Prime 3: Corruption" - the latest installments in two of the company's premier franchises - will be available on day one. A new Mario game - "Super Mario Galaxy" - is deep in development, but will most likely come out after the Wii has launched.

I like the idea of keeping the games under $60. Hell, I'm reluctant to fork over $50 for a game.

JediTricks
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I think the Wii really needs to come out before October even. With the unusual gimmick and the weaker graphics engine, they're going to need to hook a new market of buyers which will take more time to develop a big word-of-mouth campaign (assuming there's any significant interest to be had, eventually).

As for title cost, I think the best thing Nintendo could do for themselves is get away from the $50 pricepoint. I know that's where all the console companies make their money, but $50 for a title is often too steep, you look at how many of those same titles sell when they go on sale for $37 and it makes me wonder why the industry sticks with $50 when $40 is so much more popular with every level of consumer. If Nintendo can get their new titles to $40, I think that alone will sell more Wiis and individual titles more than anything else.

El Chuxter
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I never buy games at full price. With only a few exceptions, they're all $19.99 within four months.

JediTricks
07-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I wait for sales, gifts, and generally "greatest hits" titles.

Rocketboy
08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
$170 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19149)?!?!

If true, I think Nintendo will be getting my money.

Rogue II
08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I heard that this morning. It's almost crazy. Does it mention a release date yet? (The link is blocked for me.)

Rocketboy
08-23-2006, 10:36 AM
No mention of an exact release date yet.
"Nintendo has come up with a very clever strategy" - Gardner Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, executive VP and COO of EA's worldwide studios, David Gardner, has revealed that the publisher believes the console will retail for around US $170 in North America.
In an interview to be published later this week, Gardner said: "I've heard in Japan that the price is about $170, but I don't know if the price has been set in Europe yet."
Gardner went on to discuss the key differences between Sony's PS3 and Nintendo's new console, saying he was confident that the Wii will find its niche in the market as consumers' 'second' console.
"Nintendo has come up with a very clever strategy," Gardner said.
"They've made a choice which is great for the consumer. Now we're going to have a choice whereby consumers can buy a Wii, plus one other console."
Nintendo has so far declined to reveal exact details of a release date or price point for the Wii. However, the company has previously confirmed that the console will retail for less than US $250 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17273), and will launch before the end of this year - with shipments estimated to total 6 million by the end of March 2007.

Rogue II
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks, RB. The whole "we're going to announce the release date at the last second" think is kind of getting annoying. The "4th Quarter" of 2006 starts next week. You would think they would be able to nail down a release date by now.

Lord Malakite
08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
The whole "we're going to announce the release date at the last second" think is kind of getting annoying. The "4th Quarter" of 2006 starts next week. You would think they would be able to nail down a release date by now.
Patience. Nintendo has said all would be revealed by September.;)

Lord Malakite
09-14-2006, 01:49 PM
This just in from IGN, Nintendo has officially announced that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $249.99 on November 19.

Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with one Wii remote, one nunchuck attachment, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, sensor bar stand, a Wii console stand, and two batteries. The US package will also come bundled with a copy of Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf, and previously-unannounced bowling and boxing games. The Wii console be available in only one color (white) at launch.

Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.

Wii's much-talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles by the end of the year. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each. Specifically, Nintendo Co. Ltd. announced that Virtual Console games would cost 500 yen ($5), 800 yen ($8) or 1,000 yen ($10); with the assumption that these prices are for NES, SNES, and N64 games respectively.

Nintendo confirmed that it would charge $49.99 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of typical Xbox 360 titles. (Please note that this price is for first-party games; prices have not been announced for third-party Wii games -- publishers are free to set their own prices on Wii titles.)

Nintendo revealed that Wii's various controllers would be available to buy separately at launch. The Wii remote will cost $39.99; the nunchuck attachment $19.99 and the classic controller attachment about $20.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wii will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the Opera browser will be available for the system, enabling users to access the web with the console.

One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transferred to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

Nintendo will launch Wii in Japan on December 2 of this year for 25,000 yen, the company revealed. North America will get the system first.

Nintendo of Japan has added an amazing breakdown of the Wii's various interfaces to its overseas website. Everything is in Japanese, but the videos speak for themselves. Readers can check the site (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/index.html) directly for a 14-page walkthrough of the system's ambitious features. Included in the list of options are demonstrations of the weather forecast, Mii, and photo channels. The forecast launches a virtual globe that can be spun in any direction. In the photo channel, users can load hundreds of their favorite photos and edit them in real-time. It's possible to message friends with Mii character profiles and to send pictures in messages. And the videos demonstrate surfing the Web with Wii's Opera browser. These are absolute must-see videos.

Rocketboy
09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
$250? I like old rumored $170 much, much more.

Lord Malakite
09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
$250? I like old rumored $170 much, much more.

If you look at the extras included with the Wii console itself and take away the value of those it is about $170.

Wii console w/ sensor bar & misc. AV/hook ups/stands ($170) + Wii remote ($40 if sold seperate) + Wii nun. attach. ($20 if sold seperate) + Wii Sports ($20 if sold seperate [in Japan only]) + Opera Internet Browser download (free [only if Wii is purchased in the first 6 months - will normally cost $20 to $30]) = $250

In addition Nintendo just added another console to the Virtual Console downloads, the MSX. This is the Japan home computer system that Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) and Metal Gear made their debut on.

All in all it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.