PDA

View Full Version : UltraSabers

Syl-Rel Veloci
05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Fellow Jedi Knights,

What do you guys think about the luxeon lightsabers?

Is it brighter and more durable than EL and FX Lightsaber?

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 07:01 PM
I've never seen one in person, but from what I've read, they're better for duelling because you aren't risking an LED string or EL liner, you can just toss the messed up blade-tube and get another one for cheap, and they're pretty bright. Still, they're just an advanced version of what Hasbro does with their role-play sabers, basically a big light bulb at the base lighting up a tube, so the furthest end is dimmer than the closest end, and most importantly to me, there's no ladder-on and -off which is the feature that got me to buy my first MR FX.

Da18thcustomizer
05-24-2006, 11:54 PM
When you questrion its durability ...are you implying that some actually collide their sabers together in mock battle? Are these things that strong or are we speaking of general durability?

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 02:21 AM
I assumed that's what he meant, the Master Replicas blades are plenty durable if you don't slam them into stuff such as in mock battle.

Jayspawn
05-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Uuhhh...dont know anything about these.

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
There are some customizers who are replacing the blade and LED string in MR FX sabers with a luxeon LED bulb (very powerful) that illuminates a now-removable empty blade tube which gets lit up by the luxeon bulb. The bulb is very bright and since the tube is empty you can remove it whenever you want and trash it in battle yet replace it for way cheaper than replacing a whole MR FX saber. So it has the authentic hilt and sounds from the MR saber with a lit blade but the blade is removable and won't matter if it gets broken.

The one thing I don't like is that all the ones I've seen of the actual blade on are photos taken in the dark which isn't reassuring, I can see the light of the unaltered MR blades in my regular 75 watt bulb-lit room. And because it gets dimmer the further from the emitter, I fear it'll look like a half-lit lightsaber. If these guys were more innovative, what they'd do is make a blade that's tapered on the inside so it catches more light even when it's further away.

Darth Cruel
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I love my MR FX Darth Vader Lihgtsaber just like it is. I am even able to allow my kids to duel with it without a problem (they are too young to be strong enough to hurt it).

seanmcfripp
05-26-2006, 08:01 PM
What is it about MR FX lightsabers and the seductive power they have over small children? I have a Darth Vader FX, and my 2 year old twin girls love it. Darth Quinn's and Darth Harper's little eyes get this really evil glint when they get a hold of it. They've had some good times with it, bumping into walls and using it like a vacuum cleaner on the floor, and it's held up great.

I have to agree with JT, there's something a tad fishy about the way luxeon-modded sabers are shown in pictures.

BountyHunterScum
05-27-2006, 05:47 AM
I like my FX Sabers, the ultra sabers sound like a gimmick. Maybe a scam too. I noticed one website says the picture quality showing the orange vader saber is low, thats not completely true it depends on the type of camera most likely. In fact on my logitech camera my sabers look realistic with the halo around the bright core.

JediTricks
05-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Ebay has a lot of these things, nearly all are in the dark or near-dark and are poor-sized images, and most STILL show the light tapering off (although the tip glows brightly, this is the case on MR's and Hasbro's as well though, that's where the leftover light collects).

RJarvis
06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
i'm planning on picking up at least one of these...i'll post when i do and let you know...

rj

Gnosis
06-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I definately recommend getting a Luxeon for any sort of heavy dueling and seriously sword play.

I only a Luke ANH Luxeon and a Mace Windu FX converted to an Luxeon and it's alot safer then dueling with your FX's and running the risk of blowing an LED or damaging the blade in other ways.

Also, I use a type of blade and a diffuser that uses a different kind of blade film and a small mirror in the tip of the blade and I have a consistant color to my blades with the appropiate Luxeon flare at the bottom of the blade.

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 05:19 PM
That sounds like a pretty good setup. How expensive is it to replace the blade tube, the mirror tip, and tube film though? Got any pics?

Gnosis
06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
That sounds like a pretty good setup. How expensive is it to replace the blade tube, the mirror tip, and tube film though? Got any pics?

I think it's less then 80 bucks shipped for everything
we deal with thecustomsabershop.com and www.corbincompontents.com

A total conversion can very from shop to shop because ALOT goes into the craftmanship and work,etc

JediTricks
06-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I only meant replacing the tube parts themselves, looks pretty cheap at customsabershop (the other link doesn't work for me), tube is $14, blade film is $4, mirror is 31 cents, tip is $1.20, if I were into duelling that's cheap enough to make it worth my while I suppose.

Gnosis
06-03-2006, 01:06 AM
http://www.corbinscomponents.com/

There is the link I menat to be post

I recommend getting ANY corbin blade, double wrapped and it just looks better.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Ah, yeah, that'd be it. Wow, they have a driver board that flashes the bulb on impact, that's pretty trick! The "Shimmer" option sounds like cheap disco pulsing, but could make for some entertainment. The "extend/retract blade" claims I suspect are fade in/out.