PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Ads or Text Ads?

SirSteve
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Although we all would like no ads, they are necessary to keep the site going. I am getting ready to redesign the site so, I ask you... Are you more inclined to click on a graphical ad or a text ad (like you see on google). Let's discuss it...

2-1B
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I clicked Doesn't Matter because I think you've got a good combination of both with the graphic ads as well as the sponsor news links. :)

I am more inclined to click on Avocado Smuggling Hulk ads, though. ;)

Slicker
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I chose graphic ads. I'm not too inclined to read what the text is saying. As I'm typing this right now I can read the graphic ads in my peripherals because they're moving and catching my attention. The text ads tend to get lost in the background.

Kidhuman
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Dont matter to me Steve.

Jargo
05-25-2006, 02:07 PM
it's a caught between the devil and the deep blue sea thing really.

I'll go with graphic adds because at least then it's more immediately obvious who to curse for the spyware that's just embedded itself in your hard drive. Though text ads do load faster and speed is something I need when viewing SSG. There again the graphic ads can look mighty purty....

Ultimate vote is for a mix. purty graphics all flashing and blinking and text ads I can easily ignore.

Rogue II
05-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Doesn't matter.

I am more inclined to click on Avocado Smuggling Hulk ads, though. ;)

Ah, yes, The Incredible Bulge.

Wasn't there also a samurai or something that JT pointed out after that? He was staring at our posts.

SirSteve
05-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Well, stats have shown people become "ad blind" and really don't pay attention to the banner ads. Text ads have shown to do better as of lately.

Jargo
05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
will your advertisers be happy with text ads though? Gotta be some who want an all singing all dancing display. In which case would it end up being a mix anway?

El Chuxter
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
If you surf with images off, as I often do, you don't even see the graphic ads.

Personally, my vote will depend on whether Jennifer Connelley will be appearing in the ads. Rrroowwwr!! :beard:

Deoxyribonucleic
05-25-2006, 03:59 PM
doesn't matter to me

nope, it sure doesn't!

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Readers don't think about the ads they click on, they either are enticed by the ad and click it or they don't - an ad with the name of the company and a picture of a Stormtrooper in the movie isn't going to do as well as a text ad that says "Endor Wave TSC Figures In Stock Now! Cheap Fast Shipping! Click Here!" Even if the graphical stormtrooper ad got a ton of clicks because it was magic, the sales ratio would be lower than text-rich ads (whether we're talking text links or graphic links that are animated gifs with a lot of relevant text) because the INTERESTED customer is more likely to buy than somebody who just clicked on a stormtrooper for no real reason.

And advertisers don't like change, so they won't be on board until you show them stats that prove they can make more money with text than graphics.

Jargo
05-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I always treat text only links as spam of some sort. If there is a small graphic i know that the ad is for a certain e-tailer because you just don;t get fake e-tailers advertising on a big public forum. rarely anyway.

be that as it may. I don't need huge ads to make me click just a logo and couple of words with the dealio.

It may be true what you say about higher vlick through from text links, I can only go on my personal habits and such. I think having a visible graphical ad for trusted sites gives me more sense of security when clicking through.

Yeah?

SirSteve
05-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Interesting observations going on here... I may try both and see how it goes...

UKWildcat
05-26-2006, 12:50 AM
It doesn't really matter to me either.

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I voted for text ads. I am sure that text ads would load faster too and that is cool when you don't have a fast internet connection.

B.
TDV

Bobby Fett
05-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Doesn't matter to me - I never click on ads. Sorry.

Darth Jax
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
there's ads on this site?

the only time i ever notice them is when someone brings them up in a post. i've visited many of the different advertising sites (i think), but only after hearing good reviews of them in posts