PDA

View Full Version : The Johnny Cash Thread

El Chuxter
05-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Somewhat continued from swcollecting.com:

First, if you don't have Personal File yet, get it NOW! This is an awesome collection of unreleased tracks from the 1970s and 80s, and sounds remarkably like American Recordings, only 20 years earlier.

Second, amazon.com has posted the track list for American V:

1. Help Me
2. God's Gonna Cut You Down
3. Like The 309
4. If You Could Read My Mind
5. Further On Up the Road
6. The Evening Train
7. I Came To Believe
8. Love's Been Good To Me
9. A Legend In My Time
10. Rose Of My Heart
11. Four Strong Winds
12. I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now

I'm noticing there's not much revisiting of older Cash songs, like he'd sprinkled in on earlier American albums.

I'd heard he was listening to and recording a lot of old blues numbers before his death, so I wonder if "Help Me" is the Sonny Boy Williamson (II) song; and "Further On Up the Road" is probably the Bobby "Blue" Bland number. Both excellent songs.

"If You Could Read My Mind" is an awesome song, and I can't wait to hear his version.

I'm a little disappointed that "John the Revelator" isn't on this album, since I know he recorded it in his final days. Hopefully it will show up on American VI.

trandoshan666
05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Is Personal File in stores yet, or is it online only?

El Chuxter
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
It came out Tuesday. Circuit City has it on sale this week for $15.99, which is a great price for two CDs that are pretty well packed.

American V comes out July 4, and American VI is supposed to be later this year or early next year.

trandoshan666
05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
$15.99? Holy crap. That's incredible. Thanks for the info!

2-1B
05-27-2006, 12:16 AM
So you're saying Further on up the Road is not a Springsteen cover? :D

trandoshan666
05-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I rushed out and picked Personal File up on Friday, and have been listening to it since it's that good. I agree with your assessment Chux, it is a lot like the American discs, which are among my favorites of his. For some reason, I didn't think this was out already, so thanks again for the great tip.

Jayspawn
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
I have The Legend of Johnny Cash CD. Its a good one!

Banthaholic
05-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I was only a so-so Cash fan until I saw Walk The Line. I def wann hear this will have to check it out.

Slicker
07-01-2006, 01:57 PM
For those with Myspace accounts you can listen to the ENTIRE American V CD.

Here's the link

American V (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=21386866)

SirSteve
07-01-2006, 02:14 PM
If anyone is going to Comic-Con, they will have an exclusive Johnny Cash figure. You can see a picture at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=33&p2_articleid=303)

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Interesting. . . I have the regular figure and love it. I'm not sure about the all-black one, but I may get it anyway.

UKWildcat
07-02-2006, 12:45 AM
If I were headed to Comic-Con I'd definitely pick up the Cash fig. I think it is pretty sweet.

Thanks for the myspace link Slick. Cash's version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" is great. That's one of my favorite songs (hence my Myspace quote/headline) and it's good to hear Cash cover it, even if it is pretty depressing.

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 06:13 PM
The drawback to ordering American V online: I could've gotten it $3 cheaper at Circuit City.

The big benefit: it arrived in the mail today, one day before the official release.

This is good stuff. Good, good stuff.

And Rubin promises VI will be just as good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
At work today, all the vendors gave us permission to put out all new releases, music and DVD's today instead of tomorrow. thus, i was able to get this able. pretty excellent stuff thus far (i'm about 45 seconds in right now. :lipsrsealed: ). and i won't get that figure as I have the regular one. The one peg broke and he keeps tilting sideways. I guess that's why the good lord gave us glue. :crazed:

jjreason
07-03-2006, 11:57 PM
I actually listened to the first couple of tracks thanks to Slicker's link, and will come right out and say they are much better than Honky Tonk Padonkadonk.

Still the work of the devil though.

El Chuxter
01-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Not a useless bump, but some interesting info for fans:

There's a CD that's essentially Disc 3 of Personal File called More Songs From Johnny's Personal File. I have searched and can't find any indication this was ever commercially released, or even released as a promo. The only links I can find searching the internet are to various PBS affiliates offering it as a thank you gift for making a contribution of a certain amount (which is how I got it). So I'm assuming it was made as an exclusive for PBS.

Most stations look like they require a contribution in the $50-$70 range to get this CD (and it's usually packaged with either the CD or DVD of Best of the Johnny Cash Show). I saw some copies on eBay, but the seller was asking $60 for them, and, if you're paying that much anyway, it may as well go to a good cause.

It's short, but just as good as the content on Personal File.