PDA

View Full Version : R5 comes with a pop up motivator!

Turbowars
05-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Man, what a great figure. I love you Hasbro!!

http://www.jedidefender.com/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Collectibles/Modern/The_Saga_Collection/Basic_Figures/032_R5-D4

Maybe this is old news, but it's new to me.

figrin bran
05-27-2006, 02:40 AM
i didn't realize that either. i don't know about anyone else but this is the figure i want most from the new wave!

jedi master sal
05-27-2006, 11:10 AM
We've been waiting for this one for SOOO long. I'm planning on getting 10 or so, all of which but two for custom paint jobs. The other two I'll keep one carded and open one up and use as a regular R5-D4.

Since not much else except Hem Dazon is exciting for me to get in this wave, I'll still be saving money (with my buying habits) on this wave, even getting 10 of R5.

BoShek
05-27-2006, 11:21 AM
He looks great and I can't wait for him either.

Slicker
05-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Defintely a much wanted figure. He looks great the addition of the bad motivator is awesome. Hasbro is doing things up right.

I still miss the missle launcher.:upset:

Jargo
05-27-2006, 11:32 AM
so I've heard....

nice touch really. shame it took em so long to do though. (not a gripe just a comment) I could possibly be tempted to get a couple. I only really want to do one custom and that's the orange one that rolls past camera on the approach to the cantina. that and 'this red one' will suffice.

Turbowars
05-27-2006, 12:16 PM
The way I see it we wont have to do any customizing. If we can just be patient Hasbro will do them for us.:) With that said, I'm still going to buy as many as I see. lol

Jargo
05-27-2006, 01:15 PM
But if they do something like the astomech multipacks I wouldn't bother with it. I've got no desire for Naboo royal starship droids or Coruscant background droids or rebel or Imperial droids. Just those from tatooine. Economically it's easier to buy a couple now for me. Or rather, get someone else to buy them for me. hehe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2006, 01:21 PM
This is pretty cool. I guess it shouldn't be too unexpected, since it has the body of the VOTC R2-D2, which had the pop-up sensorscope in the same place.

Anyway, this figure looks awesome.

JEDIpartner
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Nice job! It'll be a fun toy for those of us who open our figures. :D

Rocketboy
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
What? It doesn't spew smoke and make noises?
We've wanted this for years and they have to go screw it all up by only giving R5-D4 a bad motivator? WTF?
Boy, Habro really dropped the ball on this one...

JediTricks
05-28-2006, 03:48 AM
I am glad to see they did this, it was something they hadn't mentioned but I had hoped they'd do.

K M Toydarian
05-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Looks like a great droid! Hope we see this Tatooine wave on the shelves. Seems like a lot of hot figures in it, that people seem to want multiples of!

mabudonicus
05-29-2006, 08:33 AM
what's with the panel on his front left side?? Is that just the way the body is made or is there something else to it that is not featured in the pics, cos it sure looks to me like there's a separate panel on the front of him.. just an observation- tho I really do like as many bells and whistles as possible on droids, as long as they don't go ape-spit on them and make things silly

:beard:

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 12:34 PM
what's with the panel on his front left side?? Is that just the way the body is made or is there something else to it that is not featured in the pics, cos it sure looks to me like there's a separate panel on the front of him.. just an observation- tho I really do like as many bells and whistles as possible on droids, as long as they don't go ape-spit on them and make things silly

:beard:The body of R5 in the VOTC R2, that they used for the Early Bird set and one of the recent Saga versions of R2, but the removable panel is glued into place. Too bad, it would had been cool if other Astro's had opening doors and tools.

jjreason
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
He's fine, but in the spirit of griping about everything I'll stick to negative comments (just for Slicker's sake :D ): he's not dirty enough, and the pop-up motivator and antenna look silly cast in plain grey plastic. That is all.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Agreed Reason, I still prefer the Rocket(boy)Launcher version from 1996.

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
You are so funny.:cross-eye There's nothing wrong with the new version.

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 05:20 PM
The pop up motivator is a cool idea. I might buy two of these much improved versions.

What are yall going to do with that old POTF2 R5? I think I will melt mine down into goo.

B.
TDV

plasticfetish
05-29-2006, 05:45 PM
What are yall going to do with that old POTF2 R5?It's good for a laugh when I'm feeling sad. :)

mark2d2
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, this is indeed amazing news. (The motivator part, I mean.) This pop up feature is icing on a long overdue cake. . . I have been dreaming of a decent R5-D4 for, oh, I guess a frigging decade now! Talk about insanity!

That said, Hasbro !FINALLY! delivers the toy of my dreams. He looks awesome. Can't wait for him to join R2, R2-X2 and R2-Q2 as the coolest astro droids ever! How funny that all are from A New Hope.

This figure rocks! Gosh, darn! I wish it would pegwarm so I could find him over and over and over again.

:D

2-1B
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Very true Mark, you've been hoping for a good R5-D4 for as long as I've been reading your posts, for sure. There's a half decade right there. :) Congrats on a dream come true ! :D

Fwad
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Does anyone know if Red Leaders astromech was an R5 unit? I am looking for a picture of his astromech.

LTBasker
06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Here ya go http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/ep4/yavin.htm

According to that, they probably never had a body made for the R5 unit so if you custom make it, you can do whatever ya want below the head.

mark2d2
06-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I think I read somewhere that not only was it an R5 -- but it WAS in fact R5-D4 (the prop, not the character) doing double duty. I might be off on this though. I know that there was also a really cool red and black painted R5 used for another of the pilots. . . But this might be Red Leader and then the R5 head was for someone else.

Anybody know?

edit! okay, LT's post--which slipped in as I was typing--conflicts mine. The link shows the droid I was talking about. I think maybe it was Porkin's then who had R5-D4 behind him. I know I noticed R5-D4 behind someone in that battle recently. I'm going to check out my dvd.

Reefer Shark
06-05-2006, 01:11 AM
I don't know why I didn't see this thread before, but wow - I had no idea about the motivator deal either. That's awesome! Like most of you guys, I was planning on getting a few to (hopefully) repaint/and vehicle fillers, and had that Red Leader version in mind too.

Thanks for the pics and info :thumbsup: Cool stuff indeed, cant wait to get my case from EE, there's two of these babies in there!

Fwad
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
LTBasker,thanks for the picture.