PDA

View Full Version : Something about Romania

sergiurusu
05-27-2006, 08:03 AM
ROMANIA :
Something about Romania (http://www.stari.ro/2006/05/21/romania-ursus/)

Another link for the same video:
Something about Romania (http://youtube.com/watch?v=itidLk5Dd3k&search=romania)

Phantom-like Menace
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I've never tried Romanian beer, but it looked good. In my area of the US, an import beer is going to maybe be something as exotic as Corona or Heineken to most people.

Otherwise I've always been interested in Romanian, but it is definitely the hardest Romance language to learn when you barely know Spanish and your knowledge of Latin is limited to what the English language has borrowed and sound changes from Spanish to Latin. It's been a while since I even remembered sound changes to Romanian. Let's see: Spanish for eight is ocho, so Latin for eight is octo. The cononant cluster ct becomes pt in Romanian, so we get opto. . . . And now I have to cheat. Okay, I forgot to drop the o. I recalled at least that much. I know l often rotacizes. I could think of some more if I tried, but that's pretty much how I would cheat in attempting to understand written Romanian, but Slavic loans would prevent me from understanding more than the gist of what was written. Also, time has really worn down some of the original Latin words into some radically different forms hiding cognates pretty well.

Thanks for the video! Mulţumesc.

sergiurusu
05-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Cu placere (with pleasure :D ). Romanian is indeed a difficult language but the beautiful girls make for it. :thumbsup:

Slicker
05-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Interesting video.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the extent of my knowledge of Romania is when I read about it in my World War II books. The only major thing I know of is the Ploesti oilfields. Very American of me I realize but I guarantee I know more than most people with just the name of those oilfields.

Jargo
05-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Interesting. Narrated in an American accent. Hmm.

Romanian guys can be pretty darn sweet on the eye too. And the Romanian accent speaking English is pretty darn sexy. Mind you I say that about most foreign accents.

Another interesting fact about Romania is that the UK likes to use Romanians as a cheap labour force.

JON9000
05-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Go to Romania and you'll end up like those dudes in Hostel!

Seriously, though, that part of Europe has always intrigued me, being sort of the mixing point of east and west. I think therein lies the appeal of individuals native to the region... a beautiful mix of ethnicities down through the centuries... sorta like Brazil. :thumbsup:

Jargo
05-27-2006, 08:31 PM
O h-o-o-o-ohhhhhhhhhhhh....... BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!! :smoker:

Phantom-like Menace
05-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Interesting video.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the extent of my knowledge of Romania is when I read about it in my World War II books. The only major thing I know of is the Ploesti oilfields. Very American of me I realize but I guarantee I know more than most people with just the name of those oilfields.

Yeah, but a person would have grounds to be upset with you for not knowing of the Romanian oil fields given your avatar.

jjreason
05-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Nice video. Too bad they flipped through the pics of the ladies in such quick fashion.

Phantom-like Menace
05-28-2006, 01:18 AM
There are quite a few models whose names end in the Romanian -escu patronymic.

sergiurusu
05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
A new, shorter video:

Romania (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wzcuBbztn-0&search=romania)

Jargo
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Talk about coincidence, I got chatted up by a Romanian today. Well I say chatted up but it was more like a declaration from him. "you are cute. you will keep in touch".

obviously I won't.

Hey - welcome to my world.

Romania has pretty, natural places.