PDA

View Full Version : Bored on Memorial Day Weekend? Smash a Box

InsaneJediGirl
05-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Last night about 12:30 one of the dogs started to go crazy and kept trying to get my up. Finally I looked out my windows (facing the driveway) and noticed the lights were out. Thinking they blew out,I got back in bed but the dog kept up. Checked once again,nothing so I went back to bed.

At 7 am when the dogs went outside,I noticed why the lights were out. They were smashed all to hell along with the mailbox. I guess people dont have anything better to do then destroy property. :( The sherriff came out (and in only 5 minutes,suprisingly) but we knew he couldnt do anything. This is the 2nd time some punk has messed with our mailbox since we moved here. Hopefully it wont happen again,but I doubt it. I'm just glad one of the dogs werent in the yard to get hit by these morons.

Here are some pictures of the damage,its always interesting to compare mailbox smashings.

1 st light - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/BubbaTroopers/Stike5.jpg

2nd Light - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/BubbaTroopers/db498947.jpg

Mailbox with pieces down road - http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/BubbaTroopers/Stike2.jpg

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-27-2006, 11:46 PM
ah, man that sucks!!! Something like that happened to my family a few years back and i heard it. So, i ran out the back door and crossed through a few yards and got the guys license plate, and called the 5.0. They were picked up within the hour. When the cops stopped by to tell us they were caught, the bastids were in the backseat and I stood outside and waved to them, holding up the piece of paper that had their license on it.

Good times. :thumbsup:

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I hate mailbox smashers.

About a year ago I was outside at 1am yelling at people who stood around our mailbox longer than I liked. A life full of mailbox smashing has made me paranoid.

InsaneJediGirl
05-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Good job with the tag numbers there JMG :) I really dont blame you JBF,theres no reason to be hanging out near a mailbox at 1 am anyways.

Kidhuman
05-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Maybe the mailman was late that day IJG.

Slicker
05-28-2006, 12:28 PM
This just reinforces me yet again in saying that people suck.

I'm gonna say where were the parents when these kids are out at 1am smashing mailboxes but the sad truth is that it's probably immature highschool kids that just drank a sixer so they're "totally smashed" so then figured they go do something "funny".:rolleyes:

Jargo
05-28-2006, 04:53 PM
why do you guys have exterior mailboxes anyway? Always wondered that. Isn't it more secure to have a mailbox built into the house by the main door or have a mail flap in the door itself?

I would think I'd be mighty paranoid having a flimsy mailbox out away from the house where anyone can do whatever they feel like doing to it, either destruction or mail theft and destruction.

I dunno. for a country that has the right to own guns to protect property and an inherent fear of strangers, it seems dichotomous to then be so trusting and glib about the security of mail by having mail boxes outside and pretty much totally exposed.

And for gods sake don't take that as an attack, it's a generalisation deliberately and a ponder. I'm genuinely curious as to why you have your mailboxes so far away from the house.

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Mail delivery here (as in the rural area where I live, not all of America) occurs by car (well, it's a little white jeep now). They tell us which side of the road to put the mailbox on and we listen. The mail carrier never leaves their vehicle, unless they have a package that doesn't fit in the mailbox. Then they'll drive up to the house and deliver the mail.

I guess it's the postal service's people wanting to save gas and time by not having to drive up to and then walk the rest of the way to the house. The reason I say that gas thing is because there's a bunch of lanes around our area. They used to let these people have mailboxes at the end of their driveways, but a year or two back they made them move their mailboxes so that they were on the main road. Now the mail carrier doesn't have to make the drive down the lanes anymore.

So there you go. For whatever "cost" reasons, these sort of events are something we must put up with if we want mail delivered

Jargo
05-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow. That sucks. and makes me appreciate having mail delivered straight to the door.

Kidhuman
05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
In NYC they have mail boxes like you explained three posts ago MDP. When I moved to Va, I hated having outdoor mailboxes. Too many times a lazy postal worker has left a package at the mailbox, once in the rain, but I saw him drive down the road and went and checked and got it before any damage occured.

plasticfetish
05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Awww, but it's so cute what my country cousins go through. :D I always remember my father telling stories about how they'd drive around (he grew up in rural Iowa) swatting at mailboxes with a bat. It's an American tradition!

Could be worse, a few years back (when I lived in the LBC) some of the local kids wandered down our alley smashing out car windows. (Including mine.) Nice thing is though, the old lady living behind us happened to be up. She spotted them and called the cops... they came over and woke me up, told me what had happened and then a minute later rolled by with the kids in the back of their car.

Stupid kids. When I was young we'd wander around and do some dumb things, but never destroy anyone's property.

LusiferSam
05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I always remember my father telling stories about how they'd drive around (he grew up in rural Iowa) swatting at mailboxes with a bat. It's an American tradition!
I also thought that sounded like fun. :eek: I don't know why, but it does. :eek:

But let me state I have never done this nor do I approve of or advocate any one else doing such things. I have a strong disdain of vandalism. But if I do it to my own mailbox it's not really vandalism is it? :Ponder:

Any way I can't even see my mailbox from my house. If some punks where to trash it I wouldn't have a clue. It's about a 1/4 mile away and blocked from my view by a neighbor's pine trees.

InsaneJediGirl
05-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Well of course hitting mailboxes sounds like fun,until it happens to you of course :)

Some kids drove by at a fast clip today and screamed "Nice mailbox" so I assume its the same losers who broke it. :rolleyes:

seanmcfripp
05-30-2006, 10:29 AM
One of my friends back in high school made a mailbox out of iron plates in metal shop after his original mailbox was baseball batted a few times. We could never be sure if anyone tried to hit it again, because the thing was so indestructible, but somehow we found comfort in that fact that some little punk may have tried to take a whack with an aluminum bat, only to end up with shattered bones in his hands.

bobafrett
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm glad I have a slot in my door where the mailman can drop my mail off at. My brothers mailbox a few years back was hit by the towns snowplow. Being a woodworker that he is, he planted the next mailbox with a solid base that runes deep into the ground, at least if it gets hit next winter, it will damage the plow as well, or maybe not.

InsaneJediGirl
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Sinking it way down into the ground seems the way to go as far as not getting it knocked over.

We were vandalized again yesterday,in broad daylight. Dad and I came back to find that someone cut the cat out of my moms house flag.The cops came back out,but naturally they cant do anything. The little punk(s) will slip up,I just hope they slip up before going after the horses or the car windows.

Banthaholic
06-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear that it's becoming a repeat problem instead of a random act, but then again that might be a good thing. If my thoughts on the mentality of these youths is correct they'll be back. I wouldn't even be surprised if one of them doesn't live too far from you.

Have they only done things when lights are out or certain cars are gone. If so arrange these conditions so they might attempt there next round while you're around. Have a camera handy so if they do drive by or stop by you can get a photo to either catch them in the act or as reference to who's doing this.

Motion detector lights can sometimes startle people, or if nothing else alert you that people are near by. So that might be an option.

Kidhuman
06-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Thats kind of funny, cutting the cat out. Dont mean to laugh, but it is funny.

plasticfetish
06-07-2006, 03:40 AM
A few years back, we took a neighbor's flag down and replaced it with a burnt up pillowcase (or something like that.) The look on her face was pretty funny... but then we put her flag back before she lost her mind. :nerv:

InsaneJediGirl
06-07-2006, 10:39 AM
It is pretty funny about the cat,because if someone came up to me with a cut out cat,I wouldnt think its too "hard core"

Banthaholic,we have motion lights and and all that fun stuff,it doesnt seem to be stopping them. As for catching them,their time is coming ;-)

bobafrett
06-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Try using a high powered sniper rifle. Kills em everytime!

(Note, I do not recommened the killing of any person, or persons)

bobafrett
06-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Funny, now that I posted the above statement, tonight I was sitting at my computer when I heard voices out in front of my house. Then I heard a a couple of thud noises, and I run to the front window to see a group of kids leaving the scene of my trash cans being knocked over and trash spread out over my front yard. I hadn't put it out but about 15 minutes earlier. I ran after them, and started yelling "Hey you F***ing B**tar*s, get back over here and pick up my trash you just knocked over. They started scattering and I turn back toward my house, then I started getting really angry about it, and jumped in my car and pulled along side this group and started a foul mouth tirade to make any sailor feel at home. They just scattered like little insects. Then I started getting concerned that the cops were going to come by and ticket or arrest me for going off with the spicy language. Now my stomach is turning for I fear late night revenge may be on their minds.

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Frett,
You could be waiting for them in your Trooper armor then execute order 66 (not sure what your version would be, but it'd involve bad things for the little punks).

JimJamBonds
06-09-2006, 12:40 AM
...started scattering and I turn back toward my house, then I started getting really angry about it, and jumped in my car and pulled along side this group and started a foul mouth tirade to make any sailor feel at home. They just scattered like little insects. Then I started getting concerned that the cops were going to come by and ticket or arrest me for going off with the spicy language. Now my stomach is turning for I fear late night revenge may be on their minds.

I'd like Slicker's 2 cents on this one. :D

Kidhuman
06-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Good one JJB.

Frett, next time put 6 cats on acid in the can. They will knock it over and get mauled by them. They wont be knocking over stuff anymore after that

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Good one JJB.

Frett, next time put 6 cats on acid in the can. They will knock it over and get mauled by them. They wont be knocking over stuff anymore after that
I like your thinking KH. :thumbsup:

You could always fill up the garbage can with cement. Then when they kick the can, they end up with some broken bones.

Slicker
06-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd like Slicker's 2 cents on this one. :DDo you really ****ing wanna know what I think of this ****? I think it's these ****ing kids with no godda*n parental supervision going out and acting like little *****es to try and impress there wannabe ****ing friends.

How ****ing cool are you that had to cut the cat out of a ****ing novelty flag? I bet all of his lousy *** friends think he's just the **** for doing that one. He'll go down in the c**ks**ker hall of fame as the baddest mother****er ever to walk the tough streets of Flomotha****ingvilla, Georgia.

You can just do a times 2 for Fretts ordeal by adding trash where necessary.

CaptainSolo1138
06-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I think you should have a picture of your "mean face" airbrushed on the front of your trash cans, frett. That'd scare 'em away.

UKWildcat
06-09-2006, 10:13 PM
"They just scattered like little insects" lol

Just visualizing what happened while reading your post was too much frett. I'm sorry man, but that is some hilarious s**t! lol lol lol I'd pay good money to see what went down.

Btw, I hope the fuzz didn't pay you a visit last night.

InsaneJediGirl
06-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Good one Slicker ;-)

Bobafrett,sorry to hear about the trash cans,at least you were able to ***** at the little punks before they left. The scattering like insects comment was great....ever think about buying a can of Raid? :D

bobafrett
06-09-2006, 11:49 PM
The funny part was after I came home, I started getting paranoid that the police were going to come by, so I moved the trash cans back away from the curb, and back next to the house, so if the cops did come by, I would say "What trash cans? I didn't have any trash out." Yes, that was going to be my defense, and to try to make it look like no one was home should they show up, I turned off all the lights in the house.

What was even better was when I ran after and chased down the little trouble makers, I had my sleeveless undershirt on, with my Tattoo's a blazing, and my long hair flowing, I must have looked the part of a raving lunatic!

The reason I was most concerned about the cops coming by, was when I stopped my car and got out to confront the punks, 7 boys and 1 girl, I was right smack dab in the middle of a parking lot of an old peoples home. I probably woke several senior citizens from there beds with my loud ferocius assault on the early high school aged kids.

JimJamBonds
06-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks Slick! :thumbsup:

Slicker
06-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Thanks Slick! :thumbsup:No problem. I try to please the masses.:thumbsup: