PDA

View Full Version : Superman, Batman & other DC Figures

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

RooJay
10-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Picked this up as a Site-to-store order last week from Wal-Mart.

Also, you guys have all seen the DC Hostess snacks, right? They also have Superman Twinkies, but they were just regular Twinkies with Superman on the box and were not, therefore, interesting enough for me to buy. My brother mentioned that it would have been an awesome opportunity for Hostess to try out some red velvet Twinkies, and made me really wish they had.

figrin bran
10-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I've seen some of those Hostess snack boxes.

I got JLU Superman red and Ultraman in the mail from TRU.com today. Unfortunately, they just used a padded envelope to ship them!

RooJay
10-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Look carefully at your Series 15 figures (hopefully before you buy them if possible) my Martian Manhunter had mismatched arms - one was the same arm used for Hawkman, and the other was from a less muscular sculpt (and missing the vein detail of the other) and my OMAC has two right, upper arms. Luckily, I ended up with the variant Martian Manhunter and I didn't care if he was uneven, so I swapped the arm with the regular version. No idea what I'm going to do about OMAC, but it's bugging the heck out of me!

Other than that, I'm seriously in love with my Validus wave figures! I'm now two characters away from completion of my Satellite era Justice League! Zatanna will hopefully be out soon, leaving only The Elongated Man. Kind of weird knowing that I already own series 15, and series 14 seemingly hasn't even begun shipping yet, though. Wal-Mart seriously sucks!

KyleKatarn
11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I've got Superman and Batman.

figrin bran
11-19-2010, 02:15 AM
I received my JLU Parademons from Matty.com today.

DCUC wave 14 is starting to appear, btw.

figrin bran
11-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I found DCUC wave 14 at WM today! They were all in "go back" shopping carts though and I only saw GL Alan Scott, Tyr and Hourman. I bought just the GL.

RUSHBOY
11-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I went to Glendora walmart today and they had about 36 Green lantern 5
packs on an endcap !! I was hoping they would lower the price but nope, they were 59.97 ! Also they didn't have any wave 14 :sad:

Maradona
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm longing to have an Ultra Humanite, so I'll be forced to get the entire wave - which I have yet to see at all.

Maradona
11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Was able to order the Doom Patrol from Matty's site today without much of a hassle. I missed out the first time and now that oversight has been corrected. The same goes for B'Wana Beast, who I didn't want before watching Batman:Brave and the Bold's season opener.

Maradona
12-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Picked up DCUC TRU exclusive Nightwing.

Old Fossil
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Wave 16 is beginning to show up on Ebay.

RooJay
12-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Picked up DCUC TRU exclusive Nightwing.

I got one too. How surprised was I to find out that one even existed?! Was that figure ever announced previously, and I just wasn't paying attention?

Jon Dougha
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Saw a ton of these guys at local TRU.

Roo - were you able to get any of the DCUC figures that were on sale at Target? Great sale, but their stock of figures was really poor at the Targets that I visited.

Maradona
12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I got one too. How surprised was I to find out that one even existed?! Was that figure ever announced previously, and I just wasn't paying attention?

There is at least one more TRU exclusive coming that I know of: the Hal Jordan/Sinestro 2-pack. Don't know when it's coming, though.

Old Fossil
12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Found the Superman/Parasite and Hawkgirl/Gentleman Ghost 2-packs at WM yesterday, and bought the Hawkgirl/GG set for my brother for X-Mas. Nice to see they found a way to get GG out for those who missed him.

RooJay
12-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Saw a ton of these guys at local TRU.

Roo - were you able to get any of the DCUC figures that were on sale at Target? Great sale, but their stock of figures was really poor at the Targets that I visited.

I'm all caught up on DCUC except for Wal-Mart series 14.

Maradona
12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm all caught up on DCUC except for Wal-Mart series 14.

I'm caught up as much as I will be, I suppose. I still need Solomon Grundy's upper torso/head, both Wildcats and Mantises, Guardian, and wave 14 and 16, but I NEVER find the WM waves.

figrin bran
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I got my order in for JLU Kalibak and Darkseid from Matty this morning with only 10 minutes of WSOD's! :p

Maradona
12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Picked up all of DCUC Wave 14 at Las Vegas WM. They have at least 10 complete sets. This was the first time I have ever found any WM exclusive set at retail. I had previously only gotten a Power Girl.

Maradona
12-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Found the new JLU Green Lantern 3 packs at the SUPER Target in Victorville off the 15. I hadn't seen them before, so I'm not sure if they've hit out here yet.

Beast
12-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Just in case you guys hadn't heard, DCUC Wave 17 has been announced. Blackest Night.

Atom (Indigo Lantern)
Flash (Blue Lantern)
Hal Jordan (White Lantern) w/ Black Lantern Variant
Lex Luthor (Orange Lantern)
Scarecrow (Yellow Lantern)
Wonder Woman (Violet Lantern)

Build-A-Figure: Anti-Monitor

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=16702

Sadly, no Red Lantern Mera to round out the deputy lanterns. She would have required 100% new sculpting... so couldn't be costed into the wave. But they hope to make her at some point to complete the set.

Beast
12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow. I may actually be buying my first Hot Toys figure at some point.

A while back they announced they were going to do a Michael Keaton 1/6 Scale Batman figure. But they also just announced they got the likeness rights to Jack Nicholson and will be producing a 1/6 Scale Joker as well. I may pass on the Batman, but I have always wanted an accurate Nicholson Joker figure. So I may have to get that. Kick arse! :D

Hopefully they really nail the face sculpt. And I really hope they go all out with the clothes and accessories.

Maradona
12-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Just in case you guys hadn't heard, DCUC Wave 17 has been announced. Blackest Night.

Atom (Indigo Lantern)
Flash (Blue Lantern)
Hal Jordan (White Lantern) w/ Black Lantern Variant
Lex Luthor (Orange Lantern)
Scarecrow (Yellow Lantern)
Wonder Woman (Violet Lantern)

Build-A-Figure: Anti-Monitor

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=16702

Sadly, no Red Lantern Mera to round out the deputy lanterns. She would have required 100% new sculpting... so couldn't be costed into the wave. But they hope to make her at some point to complete the set.

I'd love an all-Black Lantern wave. I have an almost complete DC Direct undead Justice League on my desk.

RooJay
12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow. I may actually be buying my first Hot Toys figure at some point.

A while back they announced they were going to do a Michael Keaton 1/6 Scale Batman figure. But they also just announced they got the likeness rights to Jack Nicholson and will be producing a 1/6 Scale Joker as well. I may pass on the Batman, but I have always wanted an accurate Nicholson Joker figure. So I may have to get that. Kick arse! :D

Hopefully they really nail the face sculpt. And I really hope they go all out with the clothes and accessories.

I just bought a house, so I'll have to seriously consider my finances for these, but if it's at all possible that I'll be able to afford them I am SO buying!

figrin bran
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I found and bought GL classics Mongul and Massh/Low at my local TRU today.

Maradona
01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I found and bought GL classics Mongul and Massh/Low at my local TRU today.

I left an Abin Sur and Black Hand at LF TRU, since I had pre-ordered the whole wave from Amazon. PM if you want the location.

figrin bran
01-09-2011, 01:02 AM
I left an Abin Sur and Black Hand at LF TRU, since I had pre-ordered the whole wave from Amazon. PM if you want the location.

Haha, I passed up those two at LF TRU ;)

I have the wave preordered from Amazon as well. I cancelled the Mongul and Maash/Low. I'm not as excited for BL Abin or Black Hand so I didn't pick those up.

RooJay
01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Bugs the hell out of me that by the end of this week I will own both series 15 and 16 before managing to get hold of all of series 14. I'm still missing Hourman, Gold, and Zatanna!

By the way, I'm totally in love with GL Classics wave 1! Green Lantern has always been my favorite character, and I really dig that his allies and enemies have a line of their own! I wish it didn't have to end at just two assortments. There are so many other characters I'd love to see - Arisia, Soranik Natu, Vath Sarn and Isamot Kol, Hannu, Holikka Raan, Arkiss, Gallius Zed, Salaak, Indigo-1, some Guardians would be nice, not to mention Ganthet as a GL and Sayd in some version or another! I'd love to see villains like Evil Star, the modern version of The Shark, Hector Hammond, Fatality, Bolphunga, a Qwardian Thunderer, Larfleeze, Atrocitus, Vice, the Parallax entity, the Predator, and there are plenty of other cool Black Lanterns I want!

Maradona
01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Bugs the he'll out of me that by the end of this week I will own both series 15 and 16 before managing to get hold of all of series 14. I'm still missing Hourman, Gold, and Zatanna!

Not sure how far you are from Las Vegas, but on my trip there last weekend, the big WM had all the figures of this wave in multiples.

RooJay
01-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Not sure how far you are from Las Vegas, but on my trip there last weekend, the big WM had all the figures of this wave in multiples.

Thanks for the heads up, but I am terribly far from Vegas.
One of the Wal-marts nearby me has them in stock, but none of the employess are willing to bring them out for me. I know for a fact they have them because I actually had one employee scan one of the three I did find hoping to tell me they didn't have them, and boy was she ever shocked to find out they had plenty in the stock room! I could see the disappointment in her eyes when she realized I could clearly see the inventory numbers on her RF scanner. She suggested I 'maybe come back tomorrow,' which was of course several weeks ago now, and I still can't find an employee who wants me to spend my money there. Last year, they had an entire ten foot run of Series 10 that was at least six figures deep.

figrin bran
01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
I found and bought GL Classics Manhunter and Black Hand today. I just need Kyle and BL Abin to complete Arkillo.

Maradona
01-16-2011, 01:55 AM
I toyed with the idea of picking up two Manhunters yesterday to display as part of a scene, but I decided to wait until I've received my Amazon preorder, which keeps getting further away it seems.

figrin bran
01-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I toyed with the idea of picking up two Manhunters yesterday to display as part of a scene, but I decided to wait until I've received my Amazon preorder, which keeps getting further away it seems.

I wish Amazon would start fulfiling those preorders. I had the entire wave preordered but have cancelled everything except for the 2 I haven't found yet, Kyle Rayner and Black Lantern Abin.

I picked up Sinestro Corps Batman at TRU today btw. I wish the face had a more neutral expression but oh well.

Maradona
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Amazon sent me word today that they shipped Mongul and Black Hand, but not the rest. How does that even happen? If you receive a case, shouldn't the ALL of the figures be there?

El Chuxter
02-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Saw AzBats at Target. I was tempted. Very tempted. If he hadn't been $16, I would've pulled the trigger, no question.

Maradona
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
This might be old news, but I saw the Warlord JLU 3-pack for the first time today and scooped it up. That must mean the Gray Ghost set is out there somewhere, too. Has anyone seen this set out in the wild?

Maradona
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Amazon finally fulfilled my GL Classics pre-order this week. I was really worried that they'd cancel the order. I'm glad that I pre-ordered wave 2 from BBTS, who sent me DCUC wave 16 weeks ago. Sure Amazon charged no tax or shipping, but the amount of the shipping is less than the tax would be at retail. It saves having to go hunt. I often have difficulty completing DCUC waves.

figrin bran
02-28-2011, 02:08 AM
This might be old news, but I saw the Warlord JLU 3-pack for the first time today and scooped it up. That must mean the Gray Ghost set is out there somewhere, too. Has anyone seen this set out in the wild?

I've not seen either pack yet.

I think I might preorder GL classics wave 2 as well. Those Manhunters are starting to pegwarm and since there are only going to be 2 waves, wave 2 might ship in lesser numbers.

jpins
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I found the Warlord and the Grey Ghost JLU three packs at the Canton,GA Target yesterday. There was only one of each on the pegs.

LTBasker
03-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Shockingly I actually stumbled across the second GLC wave this morning at Wal-Mart, the cases hold 1 of each including the army builder packaging variations. I'm already half done with this wave which feels weird considering I still need to complete wave 14, find wave 15, 16 and GLC wave 1. >_<

Maradona
03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
...there are only going to be 2 waves, wave 2 might ship in lesser numbers.

Just 2? I hoped there might be more announced later this year. I'm not too happy with the GL toys previewed at Toy Fair. I suspect all the bizarre aliens will peg warm and end up clearanced at year's end. The corps has so many cool aliens, yet Mattel goes for these weirdos? Yes, they might pop up in the movie, but with the bounty of different lanterns, maybe Mattel could have prioritized some more well-known characters, particularly if GLC was only going to be confined to 2 waves.

LTBasker
03-06-2011, 01:57 AM
There's supposed to be a third wave, but it's going to be an "All Stars" wave, I don't think anything else has been said about it. I'm hoping it's the opportunity for a repaint of Kyle Rayner in his more iconic costume.

Beast
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Guess I need to be on the lookout for the GLC 3-Pack with Dex-Starr.

Only one I want. Dex-Starr is awesome sauce.

LTBasker
03-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, that's one of the few that I grabbed. Great little figure and I'm glad he came in the 3-pack, I was worried I'd have to get another Red Lantern to get him - although I'm thinking about grabbing Skallox anyway to give Dex a sidekick. Plus that figure looks cool itself. B'dg is the main reason I got the pack, though I hope we get Ch'p sometime soon!

Blue2th
03-08-2011, 02:29 AM
DC is finally coming out with the Legion of Superheroes:
http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2010_SDCC%2FMattel%2FDC_Panel%2F&pic=IMG_8239.jpg&dispsize=800&start=100
Looks like it's the 6" line which is kind of a bummer but it's a start (I can't confirm this) Validus is the build-a-figure. http://thefwoosh.com/2010/09/first-look-dc-universe-classics-validus
The outfits are not the original costumes from the Silver Age except some that did not change like Ultra Boy and of course Superboy.
If these are a hit maybe we'll see some more Legionnaires (3 3/4 hopefully) Wouldn't mind getting the rest of the Fatal Five.

There are so many from the LOSH it would take them a while to do them all.

El Chuxter
03-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Not sure if this is news or not, but I picked up some of the second (?) wave of the, uh, "DC Galactic Heroes" for my daughter: Green Arrow vs Prometheus (she loves Green Arrow and Black Canary) and Tomar Re vs some weird leech-looking Yellow Lantern (Low, I think was his name). They also had John "Not the Host of the Daily Show" Stewart vs a Red Lantern (Atrocitious?) and Batman vs Joker. (I figured she'd go after the latter one, but she decided she has enough Batmen since you pretty much had to buy one with every B&TB set, and she likes her cartoony Joker better.) Not sure if these have been seen widely, or if I'm one of the first (and I'm too lazy to scour the thread. :D)

It's painfully obvious these are geared toward adult collectors and not kids, no matter what they may want to try to collect retailers. When I had a $100+ per month comic habit for several years, about half of it DC, and I've never heard of half the guys they're making, I'd consider them obscure. I know all the Rainbow Lanterns are a new development (okay, a recent dredging up and expanding of a throwaway Silver Age story that no one read, no matter how famous the writer of said story is).

figrin bran
03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Not sure if this is news or not, but I picked up some of the second (?) wave of the, uh, "DC Galactic Heroes" for my daughter: Green Arrow vs Prometheus (she loves Green Arrow and Black Canary) and Tomar Re vs some weird leech-looking Yellow Lantern (Low, I think was his name). They also had John "Not the Host of the Daily Show" Stewart vs a Red Lantern (Atrocitious?) and Batman vs Joker. (I figured she'd go after the latter one, but she decided she has enough Batmen since you pretty much had to buy one with every B&TB set, and she likes her cartoony Joker better.) Not sure if these have been seen widely, or if I'm one of the first (and I'm too lazy to scour the thread. :D)

It's painfully obvious these are geared toward adult collectors and not kids, no matter what they may want to try to collect retailers. When I had a $100+ per month comic habit for several years, about half of it DC, and I've never heard of half the guys they're making, I'd consider them obscure. I know all the Rainbow Lanterns are a new development (okay, a recent dredging up and expanding of a throwaway Silver Age story that no one read, no matter how famous the writer of said story is).

I bought most of those at Target last week but I wouldn't say they've been seen widely. That has also been the only Target where I've even seen Action League.

I picked up 2 JLU packs today, as well, Deimos/Warlord/Supergirl and Grey Ghost/Bats/Joker.

RooJay
03-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Did anyone else stop receiving e-mail notifications for subscribed forums? I thought it was strange that no one seemed to be commenting on any that I'm subscribed to, and the new site setup makes it so much harder to catch on to new posts, in my opinion.
Anyway, doea anyone have any news about the Blackest Night wave? I'd tried to pre-order it online, but pretty much every online source I frequent was already sold out!

figrin bran
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I finally found the Aquaman/Mer-man 2 pack at TRU today. I never did get Mer-man and this Aquaman with the gold belt and glossy costume I like better than the first DCUC version.

Maradona
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Haven't seen the MOTUC/DCUC wave 2 packs yet.

figrin bran
03-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Haven't seen the MOTUC/DCUC wave 2 packs yet.

They have a small number at Los Feliz TRU.

In the meantime, I picked up GL classics Carol Ferris and the 3 pack of Dex-starr/Despotellis/B'dg.

Maradona
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the tip. I haven't gone there for some time.

figrin bran
05-15-2011, 12:42 AM
The GL movie 3.75" figures are downright embarrassing!

I picked up one of the Movie Masters, though. I never thought a Rot Lop Fan figure would ever get made so I just had to get it.

figrin bran
05-15-2011, 12:44 AM

I picked up one of the Movie Masters, though. I never thought a Rot Lop Fan figure would ever get made so I just had to get it.

Maradona
05-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Agreed. In a way, I'm glad they're so awful. I'm skipping the Movie Masters for this reason also. It saves me money.

figrin bran
05-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Agreed. In a way, I'm glad they're so awful. I'm skipping the Movie Masters for this reason also. It saves me money.

MM Rot Lop Fan isn't bad at all. MM Green Man on Matty was slightly tempting but not at $25.

El Chuxter
05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I was surprised they don't seem to have Kilowog or any villains (other than Sinestro in his GL costume) in the line. Unless they're in a later wave I've not seen yet.

figrin bran
05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I was surprised they don't seem to have Kilowog or any villains (other than Sinestro in his GL costume) in the line. Unless they're in a later wave I've not seen yet.

I'm not paying too close attention to the 3.75" line but there is a Parallax that is scaled to them. For Movie Masters, Hector Hammond is coming while the build a figure is Parallax.

LTBasker
05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Kilowog for the Movie Masters line will be exclusive to SDCC for a painful $25.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.2011_SDCC-Products

figrin bran
06-19-2011, 02:05 AM
I finally found wave 3 of DC Action League at TRU today. Picked up Supes/Wonder Woman, Hal/Saint Walker and Kilowog/Red Lantern (forgot the name).

figrin bran
08-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I picked up the 6" Young Justice Artemis and Robin figures over the weekend and was able to use the $5 off DC 6" figures coupon from SDCC on them.

My Artemis' upper arms are extremely warped from how they packaged her drawing her bow.

RooJay
08-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Young Justice Robin's lack of neck is keeping me from biting on that line. Might collect the smaller figures, though, since I'm thinking the Hall of Justice backdrop might look pretty awesome behind me DCUC figures.

figrin bran
08-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Young Justice Robin's lack of neck is keeping me from biting on that line. Might collect the smaller figures, though, since I'm thinking the Hall of Justice backdrop might look pretty awesome behind me DCUC figures.

If you do decide to collect the smaller figs, just make sure you really like the aesthetics and sculpts because the articulation, with only 5 points is pretty sad.

RooJay
09-10-2011, 05:57 AM
So I found this little beauty at Wal-Mart yesterday morning - I give 'em an 'A' for effort, but this is still a pretty douchebag move:

RooJay
09-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Oh, Also...I broke down and purchased the first series of Young Justice 4" figures a while back when TRU had their Buy-one-get-one sale, and I have to say that I'm actually kind of impressed with them! I'd mainly wanted the Hall of Justice dio, but the figures, though lacking in articulation, are actually of quite high quality! I'm thinking they'll look fantastic as a group once the lineup is complete, and I am surely planning on collecting the entire line now.

JediTricks
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. That probably cost MORE than the 5-pack, not counting the time and effort put into doing it. All to fool a minimum-wager who couldn't have cared less.

RooJay
09-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Found this one this evening at TRU in a different city. Guess whoever is responsible only wanted Aqualad's head:25383

figrin bran
10-03-2011, 02:09 AM
I found and bought the 6" Young Justice Aqualad at Target today.

Other DC figures I've bought recently are the Movie Masters Harvey Dent for $5.99 at Ross, the JLU Adam Strange/Starman/Animal Man and Golden Age Flash/GL/Hawkman packs from Mattycollector, Batman Legacy Batgirl from TRU.

RooJay
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I've already got all of Young Justice 4" series 2. I still think the lack of articulation sucks, but I actually really like them and the Hall of Justice dio is great! It's a lot bigger than I'd imagined, and I can't wait to complete it! I'm actually planning on using it to display my Eaglemoss DC lead figures collection on.

JediTricks
06-06-2012, 07:11 PM
In time for the new movie, Mattel has released some of the previous wave of "Batman" 1:42 die-cast line of batmobiles, now with a new boring-as-hell packaging of a brown rockface with the source's logo and title (in this case the Batman Returns white logo and hollow lettering) and the name of the car in small letters. It's like they're TRYING to fail, pricing these at $8 and giving them the worst possible packaging.

Anyway, I passed up the Penguin's duck car thing, the Adam West Batmobile (how many of these do we need?!?) and the Adam West Batcopter (it looks too small and thin and plasticky for the price, also it's never been my thing, not one of the more interesting parts of the '66 Batman film), picking up only the Armored Keaton Batmobile.

So, I hadn't realized there were differences between the '89 and Batman Returns armor, but there are, and this definitely the latter; the shield is flat at the top in the first film, the second it is lower until it runs into the air intake; also, the "mass murderer" wheel bombs are smaller in the second film. That said, Mattel took a few liberties with both those changes, making the wheel hubs tiny and the intake hump very tall; they also stretched the whole thing, especially the rear end which seems too long.

I also hadn't realized that Mattel wasn't just including a removable shell, this is a nigh-solid chunk of Zamac with its own wheels and a faux batmobile closed cockpit in plastic within a small sliding portion of the shell. It's an interesting idea, and gives it a real feel of being its own toy. It also makes it possible for kids who aren't familiar with the Keaton films to just imagine it's a whole armored Batmobile rather than an armored shell, and I don't mind that.

The whole thing is cast in Zamac, painted black, and given weathered dark gray brushing to give it more of a realistic look, despite the movie version being clean. The underside has a new sculpt, and at the middle and rear end hints at the car that would be underneath, were there one. The main sculpt has the smaller panels and the swirled wheel covers from the film, and even the notes they didn't get 100% accurate are suggestive enough to give a pass.

The real gimmick here though is the 3 largest armadillo-like panels make up a separate piece (the only plastic on the exterior proper, and fairly well-matched to the metal) which slides forward about half an inch to expose a black plastic version of the Keatonmobile within. The good aspect is that they did a competent job sculpting and expressing that section of the car, they even sculpted the part of the hood with the vents just ahead of the cockpit despite it not easily being visible under the slid-forward shell. The only drawback, aside from wanting the whole car to come out from under there, is that the car facade is VERY low to allow clearance of the shell, it causes the permanent hump to be quite thick. Sliding the panels backwards does remind me of the first movie quite a bit, but I thought the second movie had them fold out from under the sides - I could be thinking of the lower portion only though.

The tires look just right from beneath, the rear ones are a fantastic thickness, and there is sculpted detail in the wheel hubs even, I'm not sure if they simply used the ones from the keatonmobile but they did a good job either way. The armored car sits very low to the ground, yet has enough ground clearance to roll freely, which makes it more fun than just being a static pillbug.

At first, I was annoyed that there wasn't a repeat of their Keatonmobile underneath, I love that car; it also bugged me that there was only a single gimmick. But out of the package and in-hand, the gimmick is fun and expresses the core concept of the expanding shield fairly well, while also leaving the car a fun Batmobile toy for someone not familiar with the car itself - it says "Armored Batmobile" and that's exactly what it could be even if you didn't know it was meant to be a shell. Is it a good value? Not really, but it's not as bad as it seemed, it's nearly all metal, it has a decent film-accurate sculpt for the most part, it rolls freely with lovely tires, and the gimmick ain't so bad, so it's not a total ripoff nor a cash-grab. It's too bad that the packaging is such junk.

JediTricks
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
TRU also had a 3-pack in Hot Wheels scale and another 3-pack from the 1:42 line. The HW 3-packs were I think the Tumbler in camo, the black Tumbler, and the Batpod. The 1:42 3-pack was a chrome version of the Adam West Batmobile, the Superfriends Batmobile, and the Comic Book Batmobile. The chrome doesn't suit the Adam West car so well, I don't know why they keep slapping it on their various releases.

figrin bran
06-07-2012, 12:46 AM
The DC thread lives!

So did Mattel run their DC figure lines into the ground or what? The show is going strong but the Young Justice lines are getting axed, DCUC was going to be rebranded but will now take a hiatus until next year.

El Chuxter
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure that letting their kid-friendly Galactic Heroes knockoff line get completely taken over by the anything-but-kid-friendly Flashpoint figures was the wisest move, either.

JediTricks
06-08-2012, 06:50 PM
The DC thread lives!

So did Mattel run their DC figure lines into the ground or what? The show is going strong but the Young Justice lines are getting axed, DCUC was going to be rebranded but will now take a hiatus until next year.Ha! Yeah, Mattel has totally mismanaged their DC lines, it's hard to watch. They made 2 lines of Young Justice, both entirely wrong for the market and priced all wrong. The main DCUC line has been whimpering for death for a while as the price skyrockets. Green Lantern movie product chokes pegs a year later, while they produce nothing for the new cartoon. And their new TDKR line is a joke, although the smaller figures are priced more reasonably, but the whole line has the worst pegs I've ever seen a large launch get. Oh, and they released a new "Batman" general line aside it that's lightly styled and seems to have no particular core audience in mind.

I'm not sure that letting their kid-friendly Galactic Heroes knockoff line get completely taken over by the anything-but-kid-friendly Flashpoint figures was the wisest move, either.I hadn't noticed Action League in a while, but it seems to me like they have been actively trying to drive kids AWAY from the line.

Maradona
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Considering how good the Young Justice show is, the shame has to be felt at Mattel for the failure of that toy line. On paper, the line should have worked: they had a kid scale (4") with collect and connect and an adult collector scale with a ton of accessories, yet it tanked. I think the reason is a combination of the price point and the initially erratic schedule of the show's airing. If the show were on Friday nights regularly and the price of the toys had been cheaper, the line might have survived long enough to get us a wider array of figures, since the show continues to use so many characters.

That said, I have enjoyed paying $6.92 for the Young Justice 6" figures at Target during their recent clearance. I picked up two Sportsmasters (since he seems generic enough to have more than one posed simultaneously attacking Batman AND, mainly, because he comes with a bunch of cool accessories) and another Artemis for similar reasons. If I can find another Red Arrow or Robin, I'll pick them up for the same reason. I have the whole line unopened from when they first trickled out.

JetsAndHeels
06-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Is anyone else here buying the figures from the "evergreen" Batman series?

I have 4 of them so far, and am enjoying them. They kind of remind me of the figures from the animated series in the 90's.

El Chuxter
06-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Is "Evergreen" the term used for the things that look like weird abortions from "The Batman" line?

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Is "Evergreen" the term used for the things that look like weird abortions from "The Batman" line?

Yes, that's the one.

They aren't bad at all either.

El Chuxter
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I haven't bought one. They look pretty bad in the packages. I'm glad they're not, but I'm not going to find out for myself. :)

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Well remember Chux, it all comes down to our personal opinion.

The articulation on them is basic, but for what they are, I like them.

figrin bran
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
My searches for TDKR Movie Masters Catwoman have been so fruitless and have even taken me to looking for the TDKR toy floor shippers at Barnes and Noble. However, I lucked into one at $16.99 on Amazon so that should be arriving soon and since I have her, I guess I'll try to complete the build-a- Bat signal.

The only other DC figures I've bought recently are Atrocitus from Matty.com and a DCUC Dove on clearance.

Maradona
07-03-2012, 12:57 AM
My searches for TDKR Movie Masters Catwoman have been so fruitless and have even taken me to looking for the TDKR toy floor shippers at Barnes and Noble. However, I lucked into one at $16.99 on Amazon so that should be arriving soon and since I have her, I guess I'll try to complete the build-a- Bat signal.

The only other DC figures I've bought recently are Atrocitus from Matty.com and a DCUC Dove on clearance.

I haven't found Catwoman or Alfred. I'm debating picking up the rest at regular price, given that there is no shortage of the last Movie Masters line.

I was disappointed in Atrocitus: two different red colors, hands that won't hold the lantern. I did, however, like Metron and the Mobius chair.

figrin bran
07-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I haven't found Catwoman or Alfred. I'm debating picking up the rest at regular price, given that there is no shortage of the last Movie Masters line.

I was disappointed in Atrocitus: two different red colors, hands that won't hold the lantern. I did, however, like Metron and the Mobius chair.

I haven't opened up Atrocitus yet and so I'm delaying the inevitable disappointment I guess. ;) I have DCD Saint Walker, Larfleeze and Indigo 1 and it's a shame I won't be able to display him without him looking puny.

Ultimately I decided not to subscribe so I don't have Metron, unfortunately.

I've seen Alfred twice and I guess I should have picked up the second one I saw. This was before the street date though and at that point I didn't realize he was a one per case figure.

figrin bran
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
My Catwoman movie masters from Amazon arrived today and I got the goggles down version. I tried looking for the WM exclusive Gordon MM but alas no success. He's actually listed on WM's site, sold out of course and the "find at store" option says no WM's within 50 miles have them.

El Chuxter
07-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I went to see if any of the stores in the IE had him, and WM's site no longer offers info on store availability on him. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

(Why is the expression "keep your eyes peeled"? Wouldn't peeled eyes be useless for seeing with?)

JediTricks
07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
My Catwoman movie masters from Amazon arrived today and I got the goggles down version. I tried looking for the WM exclusive Gordon MM but alas no success. He's actually listed on WM's site, sold out of course and the "find at store" option says no WM's within 50 miles have them.You opened the packaging on her? I was surprised to see in a review of her that Mattel didn't glue the goggles in place, so it's only a packaging variant, and also *SPOILER* === what gives her her cat-ears when they're flipped up ===.

I went to see if any of the stores in the IE had him, and WM's site no longer offers info on store availability on him. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

(Why is the expression "keep your eyes peeled"? Wouldn't peeled eyes be useless for seeing with?)I think the idea is to keep absolutely nothing between your eyes and the thing you're looking for, not even a light film of mucous. :p

figrin bran
08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
So it looks like the DCIE subscription is a go. This will be my first time with any of Mattycollector.com's subscription programs so hopefully it goes well for me.

Maradona
08-09-2012, 02:14 AM
So it looks like the DCIE subscription is a go. This will be my first time with any of Mattycollector.com's subscription programs so hopefully it goes well for me.

I love the subscription idea: No hunting, no WSOD, no worries. But Mattel always finds ways to mess things up: slow shipping, quality control glitches, mispackaged figures, overpricing. That said, I've been a MOTUC subscriber since the beginning, a DCIE subscriber since last year, and I plan to continue for the foreseeable future.

figrin bran
08-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I just checked out of Matty.com with my JLU Static/Micron/Aquagirl order.

Movie Masters Blake should be arriving from Amazon in a few days but unfortunately, it seems that some people's orders for Ra's on EE were cancelled leading to speculation that Ra's had a very short production run. Which in turn means that many of us might not be able to complete the Bat signals. As usual, great going Mattel!

figrin bran
08-22-2012, 01:56 AM
I had a great DC haul in the mail today - JLU Static/Aquagirl/Micron from Matty.com and Mattel All Stars New 52 Superman and Batman from Amazon.

Maradona
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks to FB, my Alfred figure arrived yesterday. I combined the Bat-Signal, but maybe using my tv remote control batteries is generating insufficient electricity to get it to work, so I'll be purchasing some new batteries this evening. I've read several posts about the "hidden" button underneath it, but even pressing that didn't ignite the signal. I'll see whether the thing works at all later tonight.

Apart from that, I finally got around to opening the Matty Black Friday/Cyber Monday boxes (first day of winter break gift) and two of the five final JLU sets I ordered came with severely bent cards. That doesn't concern me much, though, as the figures are intact. I didn't want to pay $30 for each set, much less the higher price for the 7-pack. Getting them all at substantially reduced rates was acceptable, though. I don't think I'll be paying the full price for the last of the final three packs on Monday's sale. I suspect it will eventually be offered for discounted prices. If it isn't, its loss won't mean that much to me.

Beast
12-22-2012, 12:22 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/21/mattel-announces-60s-batman-toy-line

It's now been officially confirmed that we're going to see figures from the '60's Batman series.

As much as I hate how Mattel handles things, I'm in for the whole lot of these. Even Aunt Harriet if made.

Even if we get stuff like John Astin's version of the Riddler or False Face in later waves of figures.

The prototype shown during this year's SDCC looks pretty damn good in fact. Sounds like Fall 2013.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/MasterSplinter/westbatman_zps8004fcbd.jpg

El Chuxter
12-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I would give both arms for a Louie the Lilac figure.

figrin bran
12-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks to FB, my Alfred figure arrived yesterday. I combined the Bat-Signal, but maybe using my tv remote control batteries is generating insufficient electricity to get it to work, so I'll be purchasing some new batteries this evening. I've read several posts about the "hidden" button underneath it, but even pressing that didn't ignite the signal. I'll see whether the thing works at all later tonight.

Apart from that, I finally got around to opening the Matty Black Friday/Cyber Monday boxes (first day of winter break gift) and two of the five final JLU sets I ordered came with severely bent cards. That doesn't concern me much, though, as the figures are intact. I didn't want to pay $30 for each set, much less the higher price for the 7-pack. Getting them all at substantially reduced rates was acceptable, though. I don't think I'll be paying the full price for the last of the final three packs on Monday's sale. I suspect it will eventually be offered for discounted prices. If it isn't, its loss won't mean that much to me.

But it's Toyman and Firefly and Dr. Destiny! ;) JLU has been on the few lines where I feel compelled to have every character. Not counting repaints, I think I'm only missing Grundy.

For those of you that collect Bat vehicles, Matchbox has a BAT in their die cast planes line that is somewhat in scale with the $8 range Bat vehicles (tumbler, various Batmobiles, bat copter and so forth).

JediTricks
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Ugh, why did Mattel have to put out The Bat in their Matchbox line?!? That is way too confusing, I never would have thought to look there for it. I didn't even love the design, but now I gotta get one.

Keen, '60s TV Batman figures, the sculpt on the sample there looks really good too. But nobody wants your arms, Chux!

figrin bran
01-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Ugh, why did Mattel have to put out The Bat in their Matchbox line?!? That is way too confusing, I never would have thought to look there for it. I didn't even love the design, but now I gotta get one.

Keen, '60s TV Batman figures, the sculpt on the sample there looks really good too. But nobody wants your arms, Chux!

It gets even more confusing! There is a .99 Hot Wheels version of the BAT as well an $8 Hot Wheel version that did not see wide release.

JediTricks
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
It gets even more confusing! There is a .99 Hot Wheels version of the BAT as well an $8 Hot Wheel version that did not see wide release.I saw that, and the HW version isn't even as nice-looking IMO. I feel like Mattel is wasting their efforts on these scattorshot releases.

LTBasker
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
The Matchbox Bat isn't too hard to find, though. It's a decent piece. It was a little strange that they released a Matchbox version, but not too out of left field since they did a previous Matchbox Batman release with a 1:64 version of the "Power Attack" Batmobile. It was first released in blue/red like the regular toy, but I recently found a repaint of it in metallic gray. Looks far better than the blue.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/Batmobiles-MatchBox-REP_zps272a1e79.jpg

There's also the Batmobile from "Batman Live" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-WHEELS-BATMAN-LIVE-BATMOBILE-/281046495940?pt=Action_Figures_Diecast_US&hash=item416fad32c4

figrin bran
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm awaiting Saint Walker's arrival from Matty. All will be well!!

JediTricks
01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I have been checking the Matchbox sections, no luck so far. I did however see in the DC Hot Wheels line at Target the new Joker and Mr. Freeze cars, the Mr Freeze is really good and I almost picked it up.

Why would they put their new Batmobile in the Matchbox line? Are they trying to get collectors to buy into that line again? I don't like the design enough to troll through those pegs very often.

Ugh, hadn't seen that Batman Live Batmobile before, what a lame design, that's what you get for letting formula-one designers do this sort of thing.

Maradona
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
All is well - Saint Walker arrived. I love the Watchmen packaging. Not too thrilled with Netossa. She wasn't even low on the list for me, but a sub gives you even what you don't want.

figrin bran
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Just a minor thing but I was hoping the blue on Walker would match that of Blue Lantern Flash.

Maradona
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
That makes too much sense for Mattel. I did like the articulation at the wrists. Wasn't expecting that.

figrin bran
01-21-2013, 02:06 AM
I found/bought a Robin car from the $3 Hot Wheels DC line. Also got 2 DC Lego sets - The Tumbler and BAT and the Batboat with Mr. Freeze and Aquaman.

El Chuxter
01-22-2013, 01:41 AM
I laughed pretty hard when I saw the Two-Face car. I hate when stories and spinoffs and products portray him as being obsessed with splitting things down the middle (Batman Forever was really guilty of this). He's obsessed with chance and the number two. Done properly (read: The Animated Series and most comics from around that time), he's one of the creepiest villains in superhero fiction. He can outclass the Joker at times, even. Done improperly, usually involving the fascination with designing things split down the middle, he turns into a poor man's version of the Riddler, who is usually so stupid and boring a villain that he doesn't even deserve mentioning among Batman's "real" enemies.

(The only good thing the Hush storyline had going for it, after they blew the entire "it's in his mind, and Jason's not dead" angle Loeb foreshadowed but apparently missed himself, was making the Riddler a credible foe for the first time in history. Of course, that got trashed soon after.)

RooJay
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
My take on the Hot Wheels line was that the cars were merely inspired by the look of the characters. I hardly think the intent was to imply that the characters would be driving around in personalized custom cars - Superman and Flash really have no need for cars. In that way, it really wouldn't have made sense for Mattel to produce a generic car and slap Two-Face on the package.

JediTricks
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah, they're not driving around in their own outfits as cars, that'd be silly. Then again, the Wonder Woman car has some nice lines. ;)

Found entirely out of the blue at Target yesterday the Matchbox Air Raiders The Bat, and made it The Bought. :D The piece is surprisingly accurate, although the underside has a lot of sculpted text in it for copyright and such. The only inaccuracy is the underside of the thruster "claws" at the front which is a hollow design instead of filled, but it's very minor for something under $4, they even got the weird angle of the claws right. First, last, and only The Bat item I'll ever get, mainly because I think the design isn't all that good.

figrin bran
01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
I think I might be the only one that likes the BAT design. I even bought the Lego Bat + Tumbler set though reading some reviews of it have me second guessing this purchase.

JediTricks
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
I think I might be the only one that likes the BAT design. I even bought the Lego Bat + Tumbler set though reading some reviews of it have me second guessing this purchase.I want to like The Bat design, but it's kind of nonsense when you realize it's an upside-down helicopter with tiny rotors, and borrows the upper armor look too heavily from The Tumbler.

figrin bran
01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Found/bought Batman Unlimited Penguin at Target today.

Also saw DC Unlimited Supes at TRU but didn't want to pay their 19.99 for a repaint. Which wasn't bad but not worth $20.

Beast
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Holy Crap... they're going all out marketing the 60's Batman show. DVD's seem likely.

Fans of the Batman Classic TV Series will be doing the Batusi when WBCP and its licensing partners give them a first glimpse at the all-new licensing program for the fan-favorite live-action series. Sure to ensnare the eyes of collectors and ignite the nostalgia for the 60's series is the Mattel vintage-styled Batman Ken and Catwoman Barbie collection, and a BATMAN Classic TV Series 6" Figure Assortment, BATMAN Classic TV Series TV Moments 2 Pack, as well as a BATMAN Classic TV Series Batmobile. Rubie's will introduce a line of costumes based on series favorites including Batman, Robin, Catwoman, The Riddler, and The Joker. Additional licensees supporting the Batman Classic TV Series include Funko with stylized figures and plush; Mezco with colorfully detailed vinyl figures; NECA with an 18-inch action figure; Round 2 with model kits; Cryptozoic Entertainment with trading cards; and a variety of high-end collectibles from Noble Collection, Sideshow Collectibles, TriForce, Kotobukiya, Medicom and Hot Toys. The Mattel Hot Wheels brand will rev-up with a high-end Elite Scale Batmobile inspired by the 1966 hot-rod in the series for the true collector; along with many other toy partners who will help bring to life this cultural phenomenon with a Zap! Bam! Pow!

Excited for the Mattel figures. Can't wait to see the full line at Toy Fair. I'm so excited. :)

Maradona
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I wonder what the assortments will look like. Julie Newmar in vinyl will make a great addition to any collection. And if I read this correctly, we'll be getting a 6" scale Batmobile. That will be epic.

Beast
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Here's the first pics of two of the figures from the Classic Adam West Batman series...

The Riddler and The Penguin. Both look great, but I don't think they nailed Penguin 100%.

Beast
02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
And they sent out some more pics. Here's the awesome Adam West Batman and Batmobile. :)

Figures will be $15.99 and the Batmobile will be $49.99. Sweet!! Can't wait to see more.

www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/life/2013/02/08/toy-fair-2013-preview/1903237/

El Chuxter
02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Holy balls, those look awesome. I wonder if they'll do a variant for the other Riddler, and if they'll do all the Catwomen.

Can't wait for Louie! (They had better get around to him and some of the other more ridonculous villains, or I'll go postal and send them an angry letter.)

Beast
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
We need Riddler in his suit before we ever get John Astin Riddler. But bring them all on. :)

figrin bran
02-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I guess I'll be buying more Mattel than Hasbro product this year. Not just the Batman tv line but Supes from the Man of Steel movie masters line and I'm already subscribing to DC infinite earths so it's great knowing that I'm guaranteed a Huntress and Fire.

JediTricks
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Those pieces look pretty good. The Penguin's likeness is there, but the sculpt is so soft. Batman's cape is a real bummer, the rest of the figure looks so good but that's just a big miss. Batmobile looks good but a tad simple.

figrin bran
02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Mattel's Damien Robin is a complete, complete pass for me. I'm just glad he's not a subscription figure. I am really looking forward to the new Batman Beyond with wings, however. It would be great if the wings were removable but this is Mattel we're talking about and so I won't get my hopes up on that.

I guess I'll be buying that 2 pack 60's series Bats/Robin especially for that wall climbing display.

Maradona
02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Damien should have been smaller. The most passy pass for me in the Mattel line is Darkseid. Awful! I was surprised at how good the Wonder Woman turned out, though. Mattel hadn't really nailed her yet, for me. I was surprised that only one Club Infinite Earths figure was revealed. I thought we'd get a couple, at least. The Watchmen figures look great. I'm glad I subbed.

The best DC figures revealed were the Square Enix figures - WOW!

El Chuxter
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Damien does not exist. The DCU was destroyed by an asteroid over a decade ago, and it came as such a surprise that even Superman couldn't stop it. Very sad. :cry:

Beast
02-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Man I am so geeked for those 60's Batman figures. Even Hawaiian Shorts Batman w/ Surf Board. :)

And they confirmed elsewhere that the Joker figure will have his trademark mustache. :)

RooJay
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Anyone have a link to some good pics? I'm finding Toy Fair coverage on most sites seems kind of lacking. I can't wait to get my hands on the Adam West Batman line! I SO can't believe this is happening, and the figures look great! Hopefully it continues for a good, long while!

Beast
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Here's some of the best coverage...

http://thefwoosh.com/2013/02/toy-fair-2013-mattel-1966-batman

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/mattels-1966-batman-line

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=336&itemid=19959

http://www.toyark.com/news/toy-fair-59/toy-fair-2013-mattel-1966-batman-figure-images-7285/

figrin bran
02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Damien does not exist. The DCU was destroyed by an asteroid over a decade ago, and it came as such a surprise that even Superman couldn't stop it. Very sad. :cry:

If only that we're true! On one hand, I want that Damien to peg warm. On the other hand, I don't want to see rows of Damien's at TRU for the next few years.

RooJay
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Here's some of the best coverage...

http://thefwoosh.com/2013/02/toy-fair-2013-mattel-1966-batman

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/mattels-1966-batman-line

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=336&itemid=19959

http://www.toyark.com/news/toy-fair-59/toy-fair-2013-mattel-1966-batman-figure-images-7285/

Thanks for that!

figrin bran
02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
DC Unlimited Supes and Flash arrived from Amazon. Supes' eyes look wonky so I'll need to buy/exchange for another one at retail. Batgirl continues to be elusive...and I thought people hated new 52? ;)

El Chuxter
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
She can pass for classic Babs, though, right? Maybe that's why she's more popular.

figrin bran
02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
She can pass for classic Babs, though, right? Maybe that's why she's more popular.

She could but the Batgirl Mattel released last year in the Batman Legacy 6" line has more of a classic look than this one.

Sadly, Super Powers deco Penguin seems to be warming pegs already despite it being a great figure.

RooJay
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM

My thoughts exactly. This is also the reason that she's the only one I want.

Maradona
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Anti-Morrison/Damien Wayne people might have reason to rejoice today.

figrin bran
02-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Anti-Morrison/Damien Wayne people might have reason to rejoice today.

Not anti Morrison but certainly the latter. Now how long do I have wait for Simon Baz RIP?

RooJay
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I am anti-Morrison, but pro-Damian. This makes me even more anti-Morrison today.

Maradona
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I completely disliked the characterization of Damien initially, along with that black and white body suit, but the character did improve as the years passed. Despite this, I think that having Robin upon Robin upon Robin cheapens the idea of Robin. I think he'll be brought back.

Baz is probably not going anywhere, but the last several issues of Green Lantern have been the worst I've seen in years. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad Johns is leaving the book. The Third Army was trash and while the concepts of a First Lantern and Guardian secrets intrigue me, the execution has been atrocious. The most interesting and evolved character during the course of Johns' run is Sinestro. Clearly, Johns' passion is now Aquaman and that book is outstanding, even better than his Justice League.

JediTricks
03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
It certainly cheapens the idea of Dick Grayson, since "Robin" was his monicker before he even met Batman. Jason Todd obviously was meant to be interchangeable with Dick Grayson which is why he got voted off the planet by readers. Tim Drake is my favorite version of the character, but he should have been his own man, and surely so should have Damian and Carrie Kelly.

El Chuxter
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I find it a bit odd that, apparently, it's "cool" to hate Tim because fanboys see him as a form of fanboy wish fulfillment. I can sort of see where they're coming from, but I always thought having a detective Robin (who was good enough at it to do what most adults, even those trying to, couldn't) made him distinctly different from the acrobat Robin. The big problem with Jason was, even after they revamped his origin, he was already kinda hated for being a Dick clone.

RooJay
03-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I find it a bit odd that, apparently, it's "cool" to hate Tim because fanboys see him as a form of fanboy wish fulfillment. I can sort of see where they're coming from, but I always thought having a detective Robin (who was good enough at it to do what most adults, even those trying to, couldn't) made him distinctly different from the acrobat Robin. The big problem with Jason was, even after they revamped his origin, he was already kinda hated for being a Dick clone.

I can honestly say that I have never met another comics fan that hated Tim. Near as I can tell, he's a fairly well-loved character. There was even quite a bit of outrage over what the reboot did to him.

JediTricks
03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
I find it a bit odd that, apparently, it's "cool" to hate Tim because fanboys see him as a form of fanboy wish fulfillment. I can sort of see where they're coming from, but I always thought having a detective Robin (who was good enough at it to do what most adults, even those trying to, couldn't) made him distinctly different from the acrobat Robin. The big problem with Jason was, even after they revamped his origin, he was already kinda hated for being a Dick clone.No pun intended on that last part? :p

I can honestly say that I have never met another comics fan that hated Tim. Near as I can tell, he's a fairly well-loved character. There was even quite a bit of outrage over what the reboot did to him.People hate on Tim? Tim's kinda cool, yeah he's fanboy wish fulfillment but what superhero and sidekick ain't? He's his own man, he's a real detective and he's learned to fight in his own way. I know I'm not a mega comic guy, but I too have not met any Tim Drake haters. Then again, it's the web, that is what brings haters together.

El Chuxter
03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I've never met any in person, but there seem to be a lot of them.

Tim was always the Robin for me. Dick was always grown, and Jason was always dead.

JediTricks
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I've never met any in person, but there seem to be a lot of them.

Tim was always the Robin for me. Dick was always grown, and Jason was always dead.I grew up on my mom's anthology Batman collections and her Tim Drake Robin issues (ok, I was mostly grown by then), so for me it was mainly Dick Grayson as Robin and then a smattering of Tim Drake, then all Tim Drake. I read the Jason Todd stuff but it resonated not at all.

El Chuxter
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Jason might've worked better from the start if he'd always been the post-Crisis street thug version. As I recall, he was pretty loathed because he was so clearly a Dick Grayson surrogate.

(Then again, A Death in the Family was kinda fixed, if you think about it, albeit unintentionally. The Dark Knight Returns had come out a couple of years prior, and wasn't yet definitively considered non-canon. And it specifically states that Joker had killed Jason years before.)

figrin bran
03-17-2013, 03:02 AM
I finally found a Batman Unlimited Batgirl at TRU this morning.

And I caught both the Young Justice and Green Lantern series finales. GL's was the better of the two episodes I felt.

El Chuxter
03-17-2013, 03:52 AM
I saw some Target exclusive "Justice League" figures that are clearly repaints of Batman: The Brave & The Bold figures with DCnU color schemes. :rolleyes:

Beast
03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I saw some Target exclusive "Justice League" figures that are clearly repaints of Batman: The Brave & The Bold figures with DCnU color schemes. :rolleyes:
They're not exactly repaints. They don't have the big holes for the accessories And Wonder Woman is new.

JediTricks
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
I finally found a Batman Unlimited Batgirl at TRU this morning.

And I caught both the Young Justice and Green Lantern series finales. GL's was the better of the two episodes I felt.Yeah, I didn't catch GL's finale but the tail end was on my DVR from Young Justice, and it definitely felt like the better way to go out than the "let's throw everything and the kitchen sink at the screen" move by Young Justice. Stupid CN/WB shouldn't have killed Young Justice so soon.

They're not exactly repaints. They don't have the big holes for the accessories And Wonder Woman is new.Exactly, not plug-n-play anymore.

Target West Hollywood had the individuals and some motorcycle packs for Supes and Bats, and then a HUGE boxed set with all the characters for $50 - 7 total: Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, GL, Cyborg, and that nice Gil Fishman boy.

Maradona
03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
I echo all the sentiments that Young Justice ended too soon. It clearly could have gone another season, as the multi-season arc about the Light was not done. Justice League Unlimited had a true finale that was reasonably conclusive to the nearly decades of stories within that universe. YJ did not. Sadly. Worse is that it is being replaced with the Teen Titans. I never severely disliked the show, but it pales in comparison to what YJ was.

JediTricks
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I echo all the sentiments that Young Justice ended too soon. It clearly could have gone another season, as the multi-season arc about the Light was not done. Justice League Unlimited had a true finale that was reasonably conclusive to the nearly decades of stories within that universe. YJ did not. Sadly. Worse is that it is being replaced with the Teen Titans. I never severely disliked the show, but it pales in comparison to what YJ was.Green Lantern and YJ are being replaced by Teen Titans Go and by Beware the CGIman - not only did we not need a new "extreme" Batman cartoon with a gun-toting Alfred and a female sidekick Katana, but we certainly didn't need a cheap, highly-stylized version aping BTAS. And what bugs me about Teen Titans Go is that they already had 3 years with that universe, that show did what it set out to do, there was no need to come back to that expression a decade later. So instead of having YJ with a mature, take-the-audience-seriously type of storytelling, they go to "dark violence" gimmicks and little kid silliness, and toss the majority of the DC hero universe off TV yet again. I think both JLU and YJ suffered because Mattel screwed up their toy lines and Cartoon Network screwed up their marketing, had either entity put better efforts forward on both we'd not be lamenting right now.

El Chuxter
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Beware the Batman looks awful. I'm not saying that as a "sour grapes" thing over the B&TB cancellation; no, it just looks bad. Aside from the clunky CG we've seen before, and the gun-toting (and videogaming) Alfred, and the bizarre inclusion of Katana as his sidekick, the show also promises to focus on "obscure" villains. So far, they've named Magpie (remember her? yeah, even I don't, and my first Batman comic had her on the cover), Professor Pyg (because Morrison's dark Batverse ought to work great for kids, right?), and Anarky as the ringleader. I'm assuming since Anarky is a full-on villain and not a misguided vigilante, they're going with the generic thug a**hole pretender to that name from Fabian Nicieza's tenure and not the actual unique character created by Grant and Breyfogle, who actually had his own solo title (even if it did fail quickly).

While the Lonnie Machin Anarky might actually be an interesting villain, what with him being the Joker's son and this never being disproven as was originally planned, Thug McJones "anarky" probably won't be attracting tons of viewers. I don't know that Louie the Lilac could save this show. It would take some incredible writing to overcome all that's stacked against it from the onset--I'm talking writing that would make people forget Batman: The Animated Series.

Beast
03-23-2013, 03:46 PM
On the bright side... the '66 Batman Joker looks great. And SDCC Batusi Batman.... woot! :)

Anyone attending SDCC, please let me know. I have to get my mitts on one of those.

Also... very cool news, Jeff Parker of Marvel Adventures: Avengers and Agents of Atlas is writing a new Batman '66 comic for DC. It'll debut as Digital Only but then be released in print shortly after. So awesome news all around.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/afi-first-look-mattels-66-batman-line-and-batmobile

http://www.parkerspace.com/2013/03/22/caped-crusading-begins-again/

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/dc-to-launch-digital-first-batman-comic-based-on-classic-tv-show/

El Chuxter
03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I really hope that A) they collect this is paperback shortly down the road, and B) the series doesn't entirely focus on guys like Joker and Mad Hatter. There are some pretty wild villains who never appeared elsewhere, only appeared in background roles on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, or, in Egghead and King Tut's case, have only appeared once or twice in other comics.

Anyone who knows me knows what villain I want to appear.

Maradona
03-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I really hope that A) they collect this is paperback shortly down the road, and B) the series doesn't entirely focus on guys like Joker and Mad Hatter. There are some pretty wild villains who never appeared elsewhere, only appeared in background roles on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, or, in Egghead and King Tut's case, have only appeared once or twice in other comics.

Anyone who knows me knows what villain I want to appear.

Clearly, you mean either Tony the Tulip or Petey the Posy. Personally, I'd love a Vincent Price or Joan Collins figure, along with the sure to be on the radar Julie Newmar figure. If the line takes off, which I wonder if it can, could we hope for even more obscure characters? Thugs and goons, anyone?

JediTricks
03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Aw man, that event took place at my comic shop! They really need to do a better job keeping us up to date on such things.

The Batusi set looks fun, I hate trying to get anything at the Mattel booth unless it's Sunday and all the good stuff is already sold out.

I wonder if these digital-first comics will make it to print or if DC will get cold feet and screw it up. I am curious to see what they do, but also a little nervous they're gonna blow it in the writing.

figrin bran
04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I picked up 3 DC figures from Wonder Con - the 3.75" exclusive Larfleeze and Guy Gardner along with the cancelled Young Justice 6" Batman. I mainly wanted that rooftop w. gargoyle diorama on the latter.

JediTricks
04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
NOOOOOOOO! Wondercon Exclusives?!?? I hate that I missed that show!

figrin bran
04-01-2013, 09:55 PM
JT, I take it that the issues with your press badge never got resolved?

I actually got turned away from the Teen Titans Go panel! I just wanted to see how bad it might be but I guess some are actually looking forward to it???

JediTricks
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
JT, I take it that the issues with your press badge never got resolved?

I actually got turned away from the Teen Titans Go panel! I just wanted to see how bad it might be but I guess some are actually looking forward to it???They got resolved in that the powers that be are going to let me twist.

TURNED AWAY?!? So apparently what that says is A) Teen Titans cartoon fans are ruining DC animation; and B) Los Angeles hungers for conventions so bad that they fill up crap like this even.

figrin bran
04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
DC and Batman Unlimited continue to be troublesome lines to collect. Much like SW lines of years past, Target seems to regard both as the same line.

Anyhow, I finally got Hawkman via Amazon and Wonder Woman via BBTS.

Then again, it could be worse *cough cough stores with wave 1,2 of Marvel Legends*

El Chuxter
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Then again, it could be worse *cough cough stores with wave 1,2 of Marvel Legends*
You mean "The Return of Legends: Now With More Figures a Casual Fan Has Never Heard Of or Doesn't Care About"?

Beast
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
AFI just got the first pics of the Julie Newmar '66 Catwoman. Looks pretty damn nice.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/afis-8th-anniversary-scoop-week-day-1-mattels-classic-tv-series-batman-6-julie-newmar-catwoman-figure

JediTricks
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Looks good, but the headsculpt is so smooth and the makeup so heavy it reminds me of a Barbie head.

El Chuxter
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
It looks ready to tell Wong Fu, "Thanks for everything."

figrin bran
05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Distribution on Mattel's DC figures seems worse than ever. DC and Batman Super Limited sound more like it.

Thanks to Amazon though, I've ordered the Supes Man of Steel movie master along with New 52 Aquaman. Also got the Lego Man of Steel Black Zero Escape from the Lego store.

Still hunting for TDKR (as in Frank Miller) Bats though.

figrin bran
05-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Amazingly, 3 of the Targets I visited this weekend had restocks on DC/Batman Unlimited and I was able to get TDKR Bats. Man of Steel Supes Movie Masters also arrived from Amazon so for the time being, I'm caught up on Mattel DC offerings.

Beast
05-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Looks like I need to buy a 2nd Joker for my collection from Hot Toys...

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=902047#HotToysItem

JediTricks
05-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Looks really good, but that price is out of its mind compared to the other entries in the line, this thing has almost no accessories, and the only feature is PERS.

Beast
05-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks really good, but that price is out of its mind compared to the other entries in the line, this thing has almost no accessories, and the only feature is PERS.
It certainly could use some more accessories. But that version of the Joker is tough to accessorize.

I suppose they could draw some accessories from other scenes in the film.

Maybe the Pop-Up Dead Flowers Gift Box, Alicia's Porcelain Mask, or something.

El Chuxter
05-17-2013, 06:55 PM
That figure looks incredible. But I'll pass. I'd prefer they not repossess my car. :)

Beast
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Hopefully the 3rd and final Joker they do will be 'Museum Joker'.

With Beret, Alternate "Melted" Head, and such. 3 Jokers is more than enough.

Of course, they can always do "You'll never believe what happened to me today" Joker. :)

Maradona
05-20-2013, 12:42 PM
More SDCC exclusives:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/05/20/dc-comics-comic-con-exclusives/2325889/

JediTricks
06-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Did anybody know about the '60s TV Batman and '89 movie Batman 1/4 scale (18") figures done by NECA? I hadn't heard of these before, just saw them in Steve's Toy Fair coverage: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6666-neca-page5.html
They both look good, the format fits Adam West-man quite well.

Beast
06-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Did anybody know about the '60s TV Batman and '89 movie Batman 1/4 scale (18") figures done by NECA? I hadn't heard of these before, just saw them in Steve's Toy Fair coverage: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6666-neca-page5.html
They both look good, the format fits Adam West-man quite well.
Yeah, they really are a thing of beauty.

I wish the '89 Batman was the same scale as my Nicholson Joker though. :D

JediTricks
06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah, they really are a thing of beauty.

I wish the '89 Batman was the same scale as my Nicholson Joker though. :DHave they been released yet? Has anybody seen them in person?

RooJay
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
They're not scheduled to ship until August. Latest news was a pic of them refining the sculpt, so technically we haven't even seen pics of the final production piece.

JediTricks
06-07-2013, 03:00 AM
They're not scheduled to ship until August. Latest news was a pic of them refining the sculpt, so technically we haven't even seen pics of the final production piece.
Good to know, thanks for the update. I hope they don't "refine" them into worse condition, I know we didn't see production pieces at Toy Fair but it's easy to get lost in the process.

figrin bran
06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I picked up Jor-el Movie Masters from Target today. Armored Zod and Faora are on preorder from Mattelshop so I'm done with the MoS MM's.

Saw the film today and loved it! I'm glad it was no TDKR.

JediTricks
08-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Amazon delivered my Batman '66 Batman & Robin set yesterday. The sculpts on both figures are a touch soft, have some poor expression of human anatomy (mainly overly long legs) on top of realistically-thin arms and legs, each cape has fat wires sewn into the side edges, and each suffers a big ugly white tag sewn into the cape just behind the neck which can be cut free with care. Batman comes with a show-appropriate batarang that sports a small hole in one side for string-based fun. Robin comes with nothing. The base is alright, has a hole in the back to accommodate hanging, both sets of windows open out, and there's a small eyelet at the top to accommodate a batrope. The set's included batrope is just twisted rattan string, like those found in Transformers packaging, but at least it's black.

Batman's the better of the 2 figures, his anatomical proportions are fairly decent and only get tripped up mid-torso with the belt and trunks somewhat higher than they should be. His likeness is good in sculpt although not outstanding; the face is painted and then has the cowl's mask glued over that so the eyes are deep in the cowl for a more accurate look which works well. The cowl has a modest failing in the ears being too low and too far back, and the head seeming a tad bulbous. The belt is rendered less than great, the sculpted shapes get lost in it. The head is a ball joint that is a bit limited by trapping the cape in between, range of motion is otherwise pretty good. The cape isn't wide enough, Robin's cape is wider.

Robin suffers from ridiculously long legs and an elongated torso, everything about him looks a little off at first so it takes a little while to get used to. His face sculpt is very soft and barely sells the likeness at all, even using hair from a promo shot that doesn't remind me too much of the TV show. The head paint is thick and sloppy, the mask and eyes barely making the grade at all. The head is on a rotation joint that sits on top of a hinge that's very tight but does move up and down when pushed hard, I predict breakage here. The cape is attached to the neck below any jointing. Range of motion is pretty good save the mid-torso hinge which is severely limited in both directions; I also don't like using the hip joints only because they expose too much gap. The legs are painted slightly darker than the arms, I guess as tights but the arms aren't consistent enough to sell that.

In the next few days I'll finally put them in the Batmobile and review that.

I also picked up the Batman '66 first issue yesterday at the comic shop, didn't realize that was out yet. The art is stylized to the point of distraction, and some of it seems like it's done on the cheap for the kiddie set, but it gets some things right. The book has Adam West's "Batman" voice down pat, Burt Ward's "Robin" voice is good but not as consistent, Julie Newmar's "Catwoman" voice is pretty generic, Frank Gorshin's "the Riddler" voice is there if you stretch. Likenesses are come and go for those characters due to the style but mainly land when needed, especially Catwoman and the batmobile which both get the most consistent art attention. DC obviously didn't get likeness rights on Alan Napier's "Alfred" which is a damned shame because not only does the character look entirely wrong but he's written wrong as well; they also didn't get Aunt Harriett (or they did and blew it big time). Then there's Chief O'Hara and Commissioner Gordon, the former is so cartoonish that it could be accurate or not, and the latter almost looks like the show character except they drew square glasses on him that neither fit the likeness nor the original character.

As for the writing, the story is pretty basic but takes its time having fun in that universe, adding stuff they couldn't have afforded on the show, and going the places we want to go. The adventure has a little modern feel to it, but not too bad, and it avoids breaking its era most of the time. There are even some William Dozier narration moments, and I'm glad I got it as a floppy instead of digital because there's no same bat time, same bat channel waiting around concerns. It's not too quick a read, they didn't skimp on pages. I may add this to my pull list just for a fun read.

figrin bran
08-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Owing to Mattel's (and Hasbro's) extreme reliance on generic bucks for their superhero 6" figures, I'm afraid "overly long legs" will be a standard for this line. I was going to go more into this in the 6" Black Series Fett thread but the buck system also does not really accommodate super intricate detailing.

For my experience with mass market retail 6", that Fett looks a lot better than a lot of the DC and Masters of the Universe figures I've bought over the years and at least each figure in Black Series will be a unique mold, reprints notwithstanding of course.

With this '66 Batman line, it seems it's right in line with Mattel's quasi realistic but not realistic enough aesthetic with all their 6" lines.

JediTricks
08-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Ok, so I got out the Batmobile. This is what I expected, it's hollow with details in the cockpit, but there's also detail on the undercarriage which is surprising. The scale feels close to right, can't be sure since the figures cannot sit as naturally as a person but could be. The paint isn't bad, some slop but some good detail work as well; the plastic is shiny and glossy, but also likely a dust magnet. The backs of the fins are rubbery but the integration isn't so bad, a lot of smaller details are rubber as well but either painted or molded in their colors. The canopy design lacks the silver paint in the middle between the 2 bubbles both front and back, I think this was not a cheap out but a design error, someone misunderstanding the role of the middle (it's all glass over a solid beam), it looks ok without that though, but the silver paint used on the front canopies is too thick. Some sculpt is quite tight, other areas are a tad sloppy, nothing is a deal killer unless you were hoping for working doors, which this doesn't have. Figures sit well in their seats, the seatbelts are oversized a tad but have the general idea right and plug easily into the center console. The steering wheel doesn't have its central gauge detailing, but does rotate and fits in Batman's hands. The phone is not removable, and the upper T-handle emergency bat-turn lever is Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film despite its label being the only one on the car. The wheels are painted silver and sport a rubbery Bat symbol, although without its white border.

I would have liked to have seen opening doors, trunk, and hood, but am not surprised we didn't get those. However, what they should have done at this budget was at least block off the hollow engine bay so you couldn't see through the wheel wells or the nose, you can actually see Batman & Robin's feet through the nose in one of my pics. Also, since it's hollow I would have liked independent suspension and tires that aren't hollow on the inner edge just to keep it from feeling too much like a dolled-up dime-store toy.

Anyway, below are some quick photos I took on my phone, some with flash and some without. Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed.

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally left my TF site's watermark on when I batched them, oh well.

Owing to Mattel's (and Hasbro's) extreme reliance on generic bucks for their superhero 6" figures, I'm afraid "overly long legs" will be a standard for this line. I was going to go more into this in the 6" Black Series Fett thread but the buck system also does not really accommodate super intricate detailing.

For my experience with mass market retail 6", that Fett looks a lot better than a lot of the DC and Masters of the Universe figures I've bought over the years and at least each figure in Black Series will be a unique mold, reprints notwithstanding of course.

With this '66 Batman line, it seems it's right in line with Mattel's quasi realistic but not realistic enough aesthetic with all their 6" lines.I won't be surprised if you're right on the long legs being a repeating issue, but I'm not sure I'd be happier with secondary villains looking too different in style from the main characters.

I've gotten used to ArtFX+ figures from Kotobukiya being a modestly high quality mid-priced item, Gentle Giant's quality as well in that range. If that Fett is a lot better at $20 than those others at $15, the scale should be thrown out entirely and refocused because the seam lines, the dodgy sculpting, the budget joints, and especially the seam lines everywhere, that stuff is such weak sauce compared to what that price should be.

figrin bran
08-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I found '66 Penguin and Riddler at TRU this morning BUT they were 21.99 each.

Meanwhile, Amazon has them at only $15.99.

figrin bran
08-21-2013, 12:33 AM
The DC Matty subscription did not meet the minimum number so I guess I'll be using that money towards something else.

I have been holding off on posting to the "what are you collecting" thread but this definitely alters the trajectory of my response.

Maradona
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
The DC Matty subscription did not meet the minimum number so I guess I'll be using that money towards something else.

I had a feeling that the sub was not going to pass. I'll enjoy saving that money, since I have two MOTUC subs.