PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs 2006

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I know this thread started a bit late (hey it's the new old forums) because the playoffs have been going on for over a month but let me recap a few points.

Edmonton clinched the Western Conference Championship yesterday as they beat the Mighty Ducks in 5 games to make their first finals appearance since 1990. The city went bananas as people turned out in the street in droves and burned stuff.

Edmonton is passionate about their hockey, and their team which has slew the mighty Red Wings, the mighty Sharks and the mighty Mighty Ducks. Not bad for an #8 seed. The reasons why they are so successful? Competent goaltending from Roloson, shot blocking, and speed have all contributed to their impressive run.

Now in the East, we have a dogfight between the Buffalo Sabres and the Carolina Hurricanes. The Sabres have been a nice tonic for a championship starved city all year long and have made things very interesting lately. They are missing 3 of their top defensemen due to injury and have resembled an AHL caliber team with their play of their reserve players. Carolina on the other hand, looks very impressive, especially with their top line of Eric Staal and their change in goalies with Gerber.

As a Sabres fan (look at my avatar :) ) many area citizens have brought out the "curse" talk, the same curse talk that followed our 4 Super Bowl Losses and 1 Stolen Cup in '99. However, I need look no further than the 2004 Red Sox to look for inspiration because that team faced more adversity than the Sabres did, and look how well they responded. This series will continue to be a dog fight, might go to 7 games, but my confidence has not yet waned. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Go Oilers!

Any team that knocks out my Wings (which I'm still bitter about) had better win the cup.

jjreason
05-29-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm all about the Sabres at this point (who, I'm sad to say, are down to their final gasp after tonight's Hurricanes victory).

Buffalo is only 2.5 hours from London (my home town), and Brian Campbell went to high school with my cousins. C'mon Sabres, time to buckle down and beat them 'Canes. :yes:

Slicker
05-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Go Oilers!

Any team that knocks out my Wings (which I'm still bitter about) had better win the cup.That's my exact reasoning. If they win the Cup that'll make the Wings look not as bad for losing to a #8 seed.

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2006, 08:26 PM
C'mon Sabres, time to buckle down and beat them 'Canes. :yes:

Sorry, Buffalo is now under a severe Hurricane Warning.

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Who hoo!! Canes now in the fight for the cup...

time to get drunk

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Well for Buffalo it wasn't meant to be.

Losing 4 out of its top 6 defenseman plus leading playoff scorer Tim Conolly was too much to overcome. To stretch a series 7 games with those abilities, is still a feat on its own. But the teams that win the Cup aren't injured or overcome them, and losing their last defensman yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back. Congrats to Carolina.

But even though it is another painful Buffalo sports franchise loss, this one stings less because if you ask most Sabres fans, that even though two other teams had gone further, many other teams had more scoring, physicality, etc. this was the team that has been their favorite to watch over the 36 years of this franchise and no one had expected this from such a young group of guys. The future bodes well for Buffalo hockey.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2006, 07:50 PM
The Carolina/Buffalo series was some of the best playoff hockey I have seen in quite some time. Its one of those times where you hate to see any team lose!!

Just glad it wasn't us lol

JON9000
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Go Carolina Hurricanes! Last night's game was the most exciting I've seen! Lord Stanley's Cup in North Carolina, Raleigh no less? Looks like I might finally have something to drink rum out of that befits me!

:thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm really pulling for Carolina. Doug Weight deserves to finally win a Cup.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-06-2006, 08:32 PM
You gotta give credit to Carolina, after going down by three goals, most teams would not have the drive to continue. But they are a 3rd period team, a period that matters the most, and when Roloson went out, the Cup dreams of Edmonton fizzled right then and there.

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
This is our year!!

Redneck Hockey!! whooooo

JetsAndHeels
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I think it is now safe to say my beloved Canes now have a 2-0 lead in this series (its now 5-0 with 6 minutes left in the game).
One game closer to the cup...I can feel it!!

Rocketboy
06-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Game 5 was one of the best games I've seen in a long time.
Game 6 was a joke.
Hopefully game 7 will be just as good as 5, but that all depends on Carolina actually showing up this time.

jjreason
06-18-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm actually rooting for the 'Canes here, I just can't muster up any love for the Oilers after they outted the Wings. Rod Brind'Amour is from just up the road from here as well, so Nanaimo is actually likely more evenly split than many other points in Canada.

Man, 3 game 7s in a row for the Stanley Cup!!!

JetsAndHeels
06-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm actually rooting for the 'Canes here, I just can't muster up any love for the Oilers after they outted the Wings. Rod Brind'Amour is from just up the road from here as well, so Nanaimo is actually likely more evenly split than many other points in Canada.

Yeah, Canes better win they are killing my nerves!!
Going up 2 games to none then winning one more then losing 3...I just can't take it!!
:mad:

DarthBrandon
06-19-2006, 12:39 AM

Can anyone say rigged (3 game 7's in a row). The Oilers will make this big comeback only to lose in front of the Canes home fans.

Slicker
06-19-2006, 01:05 AM
You know what? You aren't the first person that I've heard say rigged Brandon. I don't see how that can be but when you hear it enough you almost start to believe it.

DarthBrandon
06-19-2006, 05:04 AM
You know what? You aren't the first person that I've heard say rigged Brandon. I don't see how that can be but when you hear it enough you almost start to believe it.

I say rigged because it's big business (lock out for a whole season) & they need some life in the game. The Canes should have took this series in 4, never mind 6 or 7 games, should never have happened, just like Ed blowing a 3-0 lead in the first game. Everything just seems too fishy to me, & for the record for anyone who may question my motives, I'm not a Canes or Edmonton fan.

The Leafs are my team, but sadly they were playing golf at the start of the season & didn't get back into it until the very end when it was too late.:D

mabudonicus
06-19-2006, 07:54 AM
damn golfing Leafs, ya gotta keep twisting that knife eh DB??

I, too, have some sense of thsi series being slightly "off", 4-game sweeps should ve a tad more common than they are especially in the early rounds, and if you consider the price of broadcast rights and the potential loos of 3 entire games worth of advertising, at the very LEAST you would imagine some folks would have a keen interest in somehow avoiding sweeps, and also be quite hopeful for every series to take 7 games- the proof will be if the league ever decides to make the series' longer and somehow the cup can't ever be won in less that whatever the new "maximum" number is.... that would be real suspicious :beard:

All that being said, tonight had BETTER be a good game, and I imagine it to be pretty crazy if both teams show up... Even tho it would be cool from a Canadian perspective, ithad better not be the Oilers handing the Canes butts to them for 3 periods- I wanna see 5 overtimes, guys literally succumbing to exhaustion and all that stuff, REAL hockey... we'll know tomorrow, thank goodness Edmonton is a couple thousand miles away cos no matter what the outcome I have a feeling that a lot of that city is not going to be the same in 24 hours, them nutbars.... if the Leafs ever win the Cup (and yes, I did say "if") I think Toronto would be dead silent from the shock hitting millions of fans all at once- I bet it'd be spooky, good thing the likelihood is pretty slim :beard:

JetsAndHeels
06-19-2006, 09:53 AM
All I have to say is....

Go Canes!!

And I will definately need some alcohol while watching this one!!

DarthBrandon
06-19-2006, 05:23 PM
damn golfing Leafs, ya gotta keep twisting that knife eh DB??

I, too, have some sense of thsi series being slightly "off", 4-game sweeps should ve a tad more common than they are especially in the early rounds, and if you consider the price of broadcast rights and the potential loos of 3 entire games worth of advertising, at the very LEAST you would imagine some folks would have a keen interest in somehow avoiding sweeps, and also be quite hopeful for every series to take 7 games- the proof will be if the league ever decides to make the series' longer and somehow the cup can't ever be won in less that whatever the new "maximum" number is.... that would be real suspicious :beard:

All that being said, tonight had BETTER be a good game, and I imagine it to be pretty crazy if both teams show up... Even tho it would be cool from a Canadian perspective, ithad better not be the Oilers handing the Canes butts to them for 3 periods- I wanna see 5 overtimes, guys literally succumbing to exhaustion and all that stuff, REAL hockey... we'll know tomorrow, thank goodness Edmonton is a couple thousand miles away cos no matter what the outcome I have a feeling that a lot of that city is not going to be the same in 24 hours, them nutbars.... if the Leafs ever win the Cup (and yes, I did say "if") I think Toronto would be dead silent from the shock hitting millions of fans all at once- I bet it'd be spooky, good thing the likelihood is pretty slim :beard:

How true, how true, people would probably die from the shock alone. Not like that's going to happen when you re-sign players like cough it up McCabe (should be Kaberle instead if I had the choice), this team needs a re-build big time with fresh young blood.:thumbsup: If I were running things the whole team except Tucker, Kaberle, Lindros & Sundin would be gone in favour of fresh bread if you know what I mean. I'm being kind when I say Lindros (can't stand him personally but on the ice is a different story) & Sundin (only good when he's on his game, not a real leader) these guys draw fans (they do score when on their game) & that's the only reason I would keep them. Tucker is a proven hard worker that can fire up any team so he's a given. If I had to pick one goalie it would be Tellqvist & on Defense it would be Kaberle for Obvious reasons, the rest is re-building big time.

Tonights game better be like you said & an all out war, if not this series means nothing.

Banthaholic
06-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Please Canes pull this one off...

Rocketboy
06-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Rigged? My hairy white *** it's rigged.

You honestly think that these guys, each of whom's lifelong dream is (probably) to win the Stanley Cup, are going to throw even part of a series?
That's funny.

Plus, if it were rigged, don't you think the Finals would have at least one HUGE powerhouse team(s), like the Red Wings, Stars, Devils, ect., especially after the lost season?
Even though they have devoted die-hard followings in their areas, I wouldn't call Edmonton or Carolina powerhouse clubs.

JetsAndHeels
06-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Canes win!! Canes win!!

Oh my gosh what a game...that was totally intense!!
Glad they won it and made life for me that much easier..
Good to have them as Stanley Cup champs!!

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Seeing Rod Brind'Amour, Glen Wesley, and Doug Weight finally get a Cup was pretty sweet. And Cam Ward getting MVP was way awesome. Granted, it doesn't mean anything (see: J.S. Giguere), but it's still cool to see such a young kid get it in his first finals.

DarthBrandon
06-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Rigged? My hairy white *** it's rigged.

You honestly think that these guys, each of whom's lifelong dream is (probably) to win the Stanley Cup, are going to throw even part of a series?
That's funny.

Plus, if it were rigged, don't you think the Finals would have at least one HUGE powerhouse team(s), like the Red Wings, Stars, Devils, ect., especially after the lost season?
Even though they have devoted die-hard followings in their areas, I wouldn't call Edmonton or Carolina powerhouse clubs.

Haven't you heard of the #1 team in the league, the Leafs who have been consistent in making the golf playoff season first in almost every year since 1967. Now that's something that surely smells of being rigged.:D Hopefully the Leafs can acquire either Weight,Jovanovski, Arnott, Pronger or a young Pisani type player in the off season, that would bring some much needed help.

Seriously though, it's good to see Brind'Amour, Wesley, Weight & Ward (G) hoist the cup, well deserved but it should have been in four games instead of seven IMHO.

Rocketboy
06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Haven't you heard of the #1 team in the league, the Leafs who have been consistent in making the golf playoff season first in almost every year since 1967. Now that's something that surely smells of being rigged.:D Hopefully the Leafs can acquire either Weight,Jovanovski, Arnott, Pronger or a young Pisani type player in the off season, that would bring some much needed help.The only problem with that is the fact that you refer to the Leafs as the #1 team.
Everyone knows it's Detroit.

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2006, 09:51 AM
The only problem with that is the fact that you refer to the Leafs as the #1 team.

Not this year.
:D

Rocketboy
06-20-2006, 09:54 AM
They were this year...in the regular season.

Kidhuman
06-20-2006, 10:02 AM
HAppy the Canes won, might have ot take a trip to the area and peep the cup.

mabudonicus
06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Man, Edmonton looked pretty haggard out there last night, which is kinda what I'd feared...

And for the record, I ain't saying the whole thing is "rigged" per se, especially not in such a way that better teams end up taking dives against weaker ones, but ya never know how the calls etc in any given series just MIGHT get made, even if only rarely, on the basis of what would make the most "entertaining" series, and given the loose-ness of the officiating in playoff hockey, there'd be plenty of room for such stuff.. and not, again, necessarily blatant favourtism, but rather a subtle "grooming" of the dynamics of the series to make it more exciting...

Dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case and what's more, I wouldn't even care too much, big business is big business after all :beard:

Good Job, Canes!!

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
HAppy the Canes won, might have ot take a trip to the area and peep the cup.

I'll send directions...its in my living room.

Kidhuman
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I know how to get to your living room, hehehehehe

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I don't know about everyone, but I am really liking this new NHL. The games are much more easier on the eyes now that the skilled players can play without being impeded by hooks, clutches, and grabs. Kudos to Carolina, even though they violated a personal rule of mine in which your city has to wait at least 20 years for their Cup, I will tip the hat to them.

DarthBrandon
06-20-2006, 09:53 PM
The only problem with that is the fact that you refer to the Leafs as the #1 team.

We'll see about that in 2007 Rocketboy.:D

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Kudos to Carolina, even though they violated a personal rule of mine in which your city has to wait at least 20 years for their Cup, I will tip the hat to them.

They were in Hartford for a good while before moving, so I guess it can slide this time. :D

I got my stanley cup champs shirt today..going to get the hat later.

A little bit off subject, but I am really looking forward to the new 07 NHL videogame. I am sure that one of the Canes will be on the cover..Hooray!!

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
A little bit off subject, but I am really looking forward to the new 07 NHL videogame. I am sure that one of the Canes will be on the cover..Hooray!!Be careful. Remember how well it worked out for Dany Heatley the year he made the cover. :D

Kudos to Carolina, even though they violated a personal rule of mine in which your city has to wait at least 20 years for their Cup, I will tip the hat to them.That's a good rule, too. The one I generally follow is that teams south of the Mason/Dixon line don't count. And neither do any teams that at some point had Claude Lemieux on their payroll.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2006, 12:49 PM
The one I generally follow is that teams south of the Mason/Dixon line don't count.

Ha, ask the Oilers fans (http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060620/capt.e1869e507fbf449f9e71593bc11e66eb.stanley_cup_ hockey_edm102.jpg)if it counts. :D

Kidhuman
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Thats a freakin great pic J&H.

jjreason
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Great pic, but more importantly a great, great hockey game. I was so happy when Pisani scored to start the third period - not because I was rooting for the Oilers (hell no, not when you beat the Wings I won't), but because I wanted that one-goal-game tension to be there for at least part of the game.

The whole thing was great - end to end, frenetically paced, perfectly officiated (dang - it was almost over TOO quickly, they were really letting them play) and had lots and lots of scoring chances at both ends. You're really not going to see much better hockey than that, no matter where you go to watch it.

A big ol' :thumbsup: to both teams for putting on a great show.

Slicker
07-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Obviously the playoffs are done but to avoid making another thread I'll put it here.

Steve Yzerman has officially retired from the NHL. It sucks but it was expected. I just hope the Wings can get someone comparable to him in skills. You'll never get anyone comparable in experience or team leadership though.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Obviously the playoffs are done but to avoid making another thread I'll put it here.

Steve Yzerman has officially retired from the NHL. It sucks but it was expected. I just hope the Wings can get someone comparable to him in skills. You'll never get anyone comparable in experience or team leadership though.

Stevie Y. is irreplacable, but the Wings have enough talent in Lidstrom, Datsuk, and Zetterberg to make up for the void. #19 will certainly be missed as he is one of the last guard of players from the early 80's heyday that have passed us.

jjreason
07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
End of an era - but it absolutely had to happen. When the biggest "story" surrounding a player has switched from which injury he's suffered most recently and is battling back from, to when he's going to retire - it's time.

They can't retire the 19 soon enough.

Slicker
07-03-2006, 05:27 PM
They can't retire the 19 soon enough.That ones a given. I doubt they'll do the league wide retirement but the Wings'll no doubts retire it the first chance they get.

Kidhuman
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Stevie Y is one of the best players ever to grace the ice, he will be missed

jjreason
07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
My Dad and I were talking - it's unanimous - we think they should hang his jersey on Opening night, 2006.

Rocketboy
07-03-2006, 10:25 PM
'tis a sad day in Detroit indeed, with Stevie's retirement and Ben Wallace leaving for the Bulls.

Yzerman was one of the guys you thought would play forever.
On the bright side, maybe Detroit can use the extra cash to pick up another big name.

My Dad and I were talking - it's unanimous - we think they should hang his jersey on Opening night, 2006.
I think that's a definite. I need to try and get me some tickets for the home opener.

Slicker
07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
'tis a sad day in Detroit indeed, with Stevie's retirement and Ben Wallace leaving for the Bulls.
That's indeed a sad day for Detroit sports.

I just read an article about Wallace though and to be completely honest I'm glad he's leaving now. He got offered a 4 year/$50 million contract and he was "disappointed by the Pistons offer". Poor little guy. I feel bad for him if $11.5 million per year isn't enough. He must have some really killer bills seeing as I get by on about $35,000 per year.:rolleyes:

timmae
07-03-2006, 11:07 PM
That's indeed a sad day for Detroit sports.

I just read an article about Wallace though and to be completely honest I'm glad he's leaving now. He got offered a 4 year/$50 million contract and he was "disappointed by the Pistons offer". Poor little guy. I feel bad for him if $11.5 million per year isn't enough. He must have some really killer bills seeing as I get by on about $35,000 per year.:rolleyes:

i'm sure he eats a lot more than us(his commercial is worthless now). i am digging bobcats draft pick!

figrin bran
07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Chris Pronger to the Ducks!!!! :)

i'm surprised that the Bulls would even go after B. Wallace since they already have a lesser version of him in Tyson Chandler.

Kidhuman
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Why settle for less FB?

Slicker
07-09-2006, 12:50 PM
It seems that the Wings are falling apart.

Shanahan just left for the Rangers. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ApZGEV4PN34zWZItUjDG9kM5nYcB?slug=ap-rangers-shanahan&prov=ap&type=lgns) They're old players but they're still amazing on the ice and both Stevie Y and Shannie are gonna be missed in Detroit.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Well how many consecutive years have they made the playoffs? Over 15 right. Still have a shot this year only without the usual suspects of Shanahan, Yzerman, and Legace. Still have a strong roster overall with Lidstrom, Datsuk, and Zetterberg. Just don't have Belfour be your starter. He is way over the hill and last year was terrible at best.

Slicker
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
What happened to Legace? I never heard anything about him leaving. :confused:

Rocketboy
07-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Shanny gone?! Ah crap!

Well, so much for retiring with the Wings, as he said a few times the past few years.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
From an article detailing the resigning of goaltender Chris Osgood,

"Once the Detroit Red Wings decided not to re-sign goaltender Manny Legace, they set out to replace him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2507038

Slicker
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
*shakes head* Ozzie's good but he's no Legace.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
*shakes head* Ozzie's good but he's no Legace.

It's obvious Detroit is looking for another goalie. I think they ought to take a look at the Sabres back-up goalie Martin Biron who won over 20 games last season as a back-up, and can definitely vye for the starting role in Detroit.

Rogue II
07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
It seems that the Wings are falling apart.

Shanahan just left for the Rangers. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ApZGEV4PN34zWZItUjDG9kM5nYcB?slug=ap-rangers-shanahan&prov=ap&type=lgns) They're old players but they're still amazing on the ice and both Stevie Y and Shannie are gonna be missed in Detroit.

Wow, last I heard Shanahan was going to sign with either Detroit or St. Louis. Boston was in the running for a while, but dropped out at the end of last week.

jjreason
07-09-2006, 07:01 PM
It's all about the money, obviously - especially at the end of your career. Good that he signed with them now while he can still command a massive salary.

I hadn't heard Legace was gone either.... that's not the end of the world. The core of the team is still intact (as posted above, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk). The big issue as I see it: Europeans don't have the cup drive (as evidenced by our early exit this past year). They'll fly through the season in fine style, but when the toughness needs to go up a notch, the seem to pack it in.

Hopefully they can come up with a couple of gritty fellas to compliment the scoring.

CaptainSolo1138
07-10-2006, 07:29 AM
At least he signed with a team in the East. :/

But like LBC said, the core is still intact, which is awesome. It seems funny to me to say that even though Yzerman and Shanny are gone.

If Datsyuk and Zetterberg keep it up and some of the other "no names" (Jason Williams, Brett Lebda, Jason Woolley) can step it up, the Wings will be in good shape for a few more years. And with Schneider and Lidstrom still on the blue line for them, at least their D shouldn't be too bad.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Red Wings sign G Hasek to one-year deal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AjuluXKQt6TBIjfWWo7N2CV7vLYF?slug=redwin gshasek&prov=st&type=lgns)

There was a rumor that the Sabres were going to trade Maxim Afinogenov and Biron to the Wings for a defenseman (I think it was Niklas Kronwall) and a draft pick. I guess the Hasek signing kills that rumor.

CaptainSolo1138
07-31-2006, 11:55 AM
That's awesome news. Hasek is getting up there in age, but he can help them with another run or two.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
That's awesome news. Hasek is getting up there in age, but he can help them with another run or two.

Assuming he stays healthy. Osgood will probably get his fair share of playing time.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I hope that Ozzie has a good portion of the playin. I've liked him since way back in the days with Mike Vernon and whatnot. Hasek is the obvious better of the two but with Hasek gettin' up there in age he'll need alot more time off. It'll suck though during fantasy season. I'd love to have either of them but with split play that really screws your team over.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
It might be a gamble in investing with someone as troubled as Hasek and his slinky-groin and how he disappears often at the times when he most needed, but he played well with Ottawa last year, and he would have taken them a lot farther then were they ended up if he had been healthy.

Rocketboy
07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I think the Wings need 2 new goalies. Hasek is getting old and was injury prone in his last stint wtih the Wings. Osgood hasn't exactly shined since he left the Wings a few years ago.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, I've been poking around www.hockeybuzz.com

The rumor is the Sabres will end up trading Biron to St. Louis, Columbus, or Washington. The Bules and Columbus make sense, but why the Caps would want Biron is beyond me since they already have Kolzig and Johnson. But before Buffalo trades Biron, they want to re-sign Miller. Detroit aparently grew tired of waiting for Biron and grabbed Hasek. Once Buffalo trades Biron, they will sign Brian Boucher as their back-up.

There was another big 3 way trade rumor involving Buffalo, Edmonton, and Vancouver, but I can't find it right now. It's probaby bogus, but I'll post it when I get home.

DarthQuack
07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
That should be interesting seeing Hasek play out there in Detroit Rock City, I'm so used to seeing him in Western NY.

EDIT-Ok, I obviously don't watch Hockey enough to talk here.....I'm banning myself from this thread.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
That should be interesting seeing Hasek play out there in Detroit Rock City, I'm so used to seeing him in Western NY.Ummmm...this'll be Hasek's THIRD time in D-Town.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
That should be interesting seeing Hasek play out there in Detroit Rock City, I'm so used to seeing him in Western NY.

You're kidding, right? Hasek hasn't played for Buffalo since the 2000-01 season. He played the next two seasons with Detroit and won the Cup with them in 2002.

Kidhuman
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Then he retired and came back, and now he is back again.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 08:30 PM
As promised earlier:

Has anyone heard this rumor? Winchester and Afinogenov to Vancouver, Morrison and Kalinin to Edmonton, and Markkanen and a 1st to Buffalo. The Oilers don't need another center, and they don't have the depth to give up a goaltender. However, this deal solves both Vancouver's and Buffalo's problem.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, I've been poking around www.hockeybuzz.com

The rumor is the Sabres will end up trading Biron to St. Louis, Columbus, or Washington. The Bules and Columbus make sense, but why the Caps would want Biron is beyond me since they already have Kolzig and Johnson. But before Buffalo trades Biron, they want to re-sign Miller. Detroit aparently grew tired of waiting for Biron and grabbed Hasek. Once Buffalo trades Biron, they will sign Brian Boucher as their back-up.

There was another big 3 way trade rumor involving Buffalo, Edmonton, and Vancouver, but I can't find it right now. It's probaby bogus, but I'll post it when I get home.

I've heard that rumor too, but don't believe in it. The Sabres will not give up their leading scorer and their quality back-up for such peanuts. I do know they have a cap issue to address, but giving up Afinogenov (last year's leading scorer) and a high-quality backup is not the answer. Both dudes were responsible for many Sabre victories last year. I do however see Buffalo biting the bullet and letting quality players leave, like they did with Jay Mckee, Mike Grier, and I'm guessing Biron and one more key player like J. P. Dumont.

BTW, the Wings signing Hasek is not a bad idea. They do have a good goaltender in the ranks by the name of Howard, and having Hasek another year, even though he might not have much time to contribute or the durability, he can buy the way for Howard to come the next season.

Rogue II
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Rejoice Sabres fans, they have resigned Ryan Miller (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AvwZHdpRAFl7BjRB7bF4ewc5nYcB?slug=ap-sabres-miller&prov=ap&type=lgns) to a 3 year deal. Now all we have to worry about is the funky new logo. The new rumor is that Biron will start the season with the Sabres, and will probably be traded about a month into the season.

And here is a link for the Toronto fans (http://205.138.193.55/~magictaco/Redirect/LaCantinaFiles/pic027353zn_732.jpg).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I know I am a minority in this, but Miller is not the bonafide starter that he has been annoited to be. I think Biron is just as solid as Miller is, and proved that by amassing that 13 game win streak last season. Miller had flashes of brilliance, and played solid in most every game, but had stretches of futility back in March and April where he surrendered crap goals on a nightly basis.
He also looked tired or lost focus as the Carolina series wore on and never won the Sabres a game that series.

This situation where two quality goaltenders on a team can be both good and bad. Good that Biron is a capable backup if something ever happened to Miller. Bad in the fact that Marty is unhappy with the team and wants to be elsewhere.

My guess is the same as yours Rouge, that he will play same games early in the season, when some teams evaulate how sucky their goaltending really is, (Florida, Columbus?) they may go for him then.

BTW, nice photo link, reminds me of many of the Leaf fans that come over in hordes to watch Sabres games when their team is in town.

Rogue II
09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
The Kings might also be interested in Biron and the Sabres are interested in Conroy since Connelly is out for at least half of the season. Sure, LA has 3 goalies now, but none of them are really great.

Rogue II
09-11-2006, 05:06 PM
The Sabres are revealing their new uniforms this Saturday. This is spreading around the internet. Obvioulsy, no one outside the team knows if it is real or not.

New rumor: The Islanders may be interested in Biron if they can't finish DiPietro's deal.

Rocketboy
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
That buffalo looks like the old one when it was a fetus.

Rogue II
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
That buffalo looks like the old one when it was a fetus.

It has already been called The Slug, The Buffaslug, and Donald Trump's Toupee.

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Tie Domi retires. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2594507):(

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 08:45 AM
an end of an era there. A great arse kicker he was&

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering...who won the Stanley Cup?

CaptainSolo1138
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I forget WHO won it. I just remember reading a story about how they painted a Confederate flag on it and took it muddin' while they listened to a Jeff Foxworthy cassette. :p

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I forget WHO won it. I just remember reading a story about how they painted a Confederate flag on it and took it muddin' while they listened to a Jeff Foxworthy cassette. :p

It makes a good spitoon as well