PDA

View Full Version : 30th Anniversary Tin Collector's Set

BlueSnags
05-29-2006, 12:56 PM
From Rebelscum:

Hasbro went back to the only Kenner gold mine and has devised a modern version of the old two packs we saw at the end of the Return Of The Jedi line. While technically speaking, the original packs weren't Kenner, it's close enough. If all goes according to plans, there will be tin sets for each of the six films. Each pack will include one tin case with artwork from or inspired by the poster art of it's respective film and will come with four figures displayed in two packs. The sets, which are scheduled for a Fall release, will be split into two waves.

jjreason
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm going out on a limb and hoping for all repacks here. We'll never get them in Canada, and I don't want to have to track them down (and spend all that money) on repaints, or 1 new figure per pack. The presentation is nice though.

Reefer Shark
05-29-2006, 01:08 PM
That's pretty cool looking. If they're repacks, I'll probably only go for the set with Vader though..

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm going out on a limb and hoping for all repacks here. We'll never get them in Canada, and I don't want to have to track them down (and spend all that money) on repaints, or 1 new figure per pack. The presentation is nice though.
Agreed. They look cool but I don't want to rebuy several figures just to get a few new ones.

Slicker
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I like 'em. I'm a sucker for the retro look and the vintage ones from ROTJ are just so ugly and just thrown together that you have to love 'em.

I'd like to see the other offerings they have for these.

DarthChuckMc
05-29-2006, 01:32 PM
For those of you that don't read through the forums @ RS...

SW SAGA TINS 087-06-0534 $24.99

Don't bother running to Target today to check the #. These aren't even ON ORDER, just a DPCI in the system so far.

Jargo
05-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow. they're really hyper milking it now. Shove the same old same old in a cheap die pressed tin and charge double or treble. way to go. Star wars is a license to print money now. Amazing. Hasbro should get a nobel prize for suckering a generation or two or three out of millions of bucks. Quite an achievement really. No really it is. Takes dedication and an eye for the bigger picture to churn out so much crap for so long and still have people willing to lap it all up because it has a brand on the box. For sooooo many years. quite the achievement.

And no, no I won't be buying it because I don't like it and as such make a decision not to buy based on merits before that trite old chestnut gets thrown at me. And it's a forum. opposing opinion is allowed that's why it's called a forum. open discussion on a theme or topic. Look it up.

*thumbs teeth at the basher bashers.*

And yes I got out of bed the wrong side this morning. And no I'll never shut up. And when did anyone ever celebrate a 30th anniversary? How weak. I find this news rather shallow and pedantic. Shallow and - pedantic.

Kidhuman
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
While pretty cool looking, it just seems repacks of the VTSC from the pics.

Turbowars
05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I like the 2 pack card, but why not just release a new wave of the vintage figures on these tins? I don't think I will be buying these, but at the moment of truth I might cave.

BTW who is the Daddypants? I'm think it's Emperor Jargo, but not sure. When I was reading your post I thought I was reading a thread on RS. :yes: If I hated a line that much I think I would move on. By no means am I a Hasbro hugger, but dude relax a bit. ;)

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey Turbo...it has to be Emperor Jargo, look at his signature. I am pretty sure it is him.

I won't be buying these unless they have NEW figures.

B.
TDV

Slicker
05-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Emperor Jargo? I've never heard of that name so MR. DADDYPANTS just couldn't be him.;)

Jargo
05-29-2006, 05:42 PM
just ignore me. I'm old and cranky.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought it was Grand Moff Jargo but I seem to have been mistaken.

JediTricks
05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
These are "meh" to me, I'm getting tired of all these "special multipacks" for everything, the only good thing is that they never put anything I need in 'em.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-29-2006, 09:17 PM
These look fine, but unless there is a new figure, I don't think I'll get them. The four shown in the first post are just the latest VTSC figures. What I do need though is another VOTC Stormtrooper. However, if I was to get any of these, I'd probably want to get them all for completeness. There are cheaper ways to get another VOTC Stormtrooper.

figrin bran
05-30-2006, 12:30 AM
i'm a sucker for these sort of things and so i can envision myself buying just one and then deciding i want all of them. oh well, so much for the money i thought i'd be saving by passing on H&V.

Banthaholic
05-30-2006, 01:20 AM
I like the throw-back to the vintage two packs. Will be interesting to see what figures they pack them in, and if it'll be a set assortment or the vintage random rotj 2 packs. The tin I could care less about. Kind've like the Target glass packs I suppose, it'll add $5 on the price tag.

Turbowars
05-30-2006, 01:24 AM
DSP2 says they will be 24.99. So if they do have VTSC in them we all just got burned with buying them single carded. With that said I expect them to be really bad repacks.

timmae
05-30-2006, 01:33 AM
meh, no way i will spend that much. bad enough i got a newly carded SA clone

figrin bran
05-30-2006, 01:42 AM
imagine if there's a mail away figure promotion with these sets! :p

mastermatt24
05-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Wow. they're really hyper milking it now. Shove the same old same old in a cheap die pressed tin and charge double or treble. way to go.
Exactly. Just more stuff I will be able to pass on. :love: I hope you guys that have already boughten the VTSC wont buy these.

Kidhuman
05-30-2006, 03:12 AM
imagine if there's a mail away figure promotion with these sets! :p

Dont give them any bright ideas. Proably a G. Lu and Ricky Mc two pack.

dindae
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I like the packaging. I'm hoping there will be something worth buying inside. They did say the picture is a mock up and does not reflect the figures included. If they are going to do straight repacks it will be an easy pass for me.

Banthaholic
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Dont give them any bright ideas. Proably a G. Lu and Ricky Mc two pack.
Or Lucas as a Ep 2 then Ep 3 clonetrooper :shocked:

JEDIpartner
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
boughten...

Where in the world did you learn that piece of poor English?!! :shocked:

Back on topic-- what a load of re-pressed crap. :o

Mad Slanted Powers
05-30-2006, 07:47 PM
My American Heritage dictionary has the following:

boughten. Regional. Alternate past participle of buy.

Turbowars
05-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Thats strange, it comes up wrong with my spell check. Hell who care, oh I guess the Jedipartner does. BTW what is a Jedipartner?

Jargo
05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
destined to give birth to twins and then die from a broken heart.

mastermatt24
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Proably a G. Lu and Ricky Mc two pack.
They are going to have to make a bigger package for the two nice fat guys- Mr. Clad-in-Plaid and Sir Smokes A Lot. :p

Where in the world did you learn that piece of poor English?!! :shocked:

Back on topic-- what a load of re-pressed crap. :o

Man JP the English Major! Me no egrish well! And to make it look like I took us off topic.. geez.. :whip: Dont look at my location- you might be :shocked: again! ;)

My American Heritage dictionary has the following:

boughten. Regional. Alternate past participle of buy.
Exactly what I was thinking.

JEDIpartner
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Lazy substitution for a correct form of the word. *shrug*

I'm Lou's life/domsetic-partner and I identify with the Jedi order. :D

LOL

Anyhow, I really shouldn't be surprised about the fact that Hasblah is finding more ways to get money out of fans and make a huge profit on the VTSC/VOTC moulds. It's just a shame that they are putting them out hot on the heels of the current VTSC line.

Jargo
05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
the words 'special edition' deluxe edition' 'directors cut' 'ultimate collection' et al automatically mean shove stuff in a tin and charge the earth. Coz tin is right valuable and shiney. Shiney automatically eqates to more expensive.

For example, I was recently boughten (sic) a collectors tin of 40th anniversary corgi toys die cast Dr. Who objects. one die cast tardis, one die cast K9, one plastic cyberman, one plastic dalek, one plastic Davros, one plastic Dr. Who. All slapped in a protective black plastic blister inside a round tin with a sticker slapped on it saying dr. who. It's a big pile of crud. essentially. But shoving it all in a tin meant the manufacturers could charge ridiculous prices for it. This particular set I was boughten (sic) cost £28 which is roughly $40. It's a total rip off.

this anniversary star wars thing is what - essentially four previously released figures squished into a tin so that's about $20 worth with the figures. and a $5 tin which will most likely just have a sticker on the front.

Personally I completely fail to see what is appealing about the idea. Although in years to come this is exactly the sort of crud that will net a bundle of cash where the regular releases will sell for peanuts. it's always the marketing gimmicky crud that nets the most return. which is sad. pathetic sad not boohoo sad. the gimmicky stuff is usually the least well thought out and executed stuff. And the first stuff people think to throw out. ths leaving only a few examples worldwide which ridiculously makes them valuable pices of carp. but then a fool and his money.....

Mad Slanted Powers
05-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Lazy substitution for a correct form of the word.No, not lazy! Boughten has an extra syllable! :D

mastermatt24
06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Im glad you guys are having so much fun with it :cross-eye I should make more gramatical ( ;) ) errors! :p

I even changed the ol sig :lipsrsealed:

2-1B
06-01-2006, 04:20 AM
I'm Lou's life/domsetic-partner and I identify with the Jedi order. :D

domsetic? I can't find that in my dictionary. :crazed:

mastermatt24
06-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Ilmao!! nice! nice! :D :p

JEDIpartner
06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
domsetic? I can't find that in my dictionary. :crazed:

At least it was just a misspelling and not a made up word. :laugh:

the words 'special edition' deluxe edition' 'directors cut' 'ultimate collection' et al automatically mean shove stuff in a tin and charge the earth. Coz tin is right valuable and shiney. Shiney automatically eqates to more expensive.

For example, I was recently boughten (sic) a collectors tin of 40th anniversary corgi toys die cast Dr. Who objects. one die cast tardis, one die cast K9, one plastic cyberman, one plastic dalek, one plastic Davros, one plastic Dr. Who. All slapped in a protective black plastic blister inside a round tin with a sticker slapped on it saying dr. who. It's a big pile of crud. essentially. But shoving it all in a tin meant the manufacturers could charge ridiculous prices for it. This particular set I was boughten (sic) cost £28 which is roughly $40. It's a total rip off.

this anniversary star wars thing is what - essentially four previously released figures squished into a tin so that's about $20 worth with the figures. and a $5 tin which will most likely just have a sticker on the front.

Personally I completely fail to see what is appealing about the idea. Although in years to come this is exactly the sort of crud that will net a bundle of cash where the regular releases will sell for peanuts. it's always the marketing gimmicky crud that nets the most return. which is sad. pathetic sad not boohoo sad. the gimmicky stuff is usually the least well thought out and executed stuff. And the first stuff people think to throw out. ths leaving only a few examples worldwide which ridiculously makes them valuable pices of carp. but then a fool and his money.....

I completely agree with you and really kinda commend Hasblah for finding yet another way to grab some more cash from the perpetually stupid.

JON9000
03-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Has anybody heard anything about these going on clearance? I wouldn't mind a few for $10 each. Target has the Ilum Battlepack on clearance, so I thought maybe somewhere these are marked down as well?

Kidhuman
03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
They hit clearance at a Target here for like 17 and change.

bobafrett
03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I've seen them for $20, but it was only the tim pack with the Scout Trooper, Vader, Leia, and rebel commando. Other than my Wal-Mart which had maybe three of the Cantina sets left, but still at full retail.

Darth Cruel
03-27-2007, 12:26 AM
We interupt this thread to bring you the following news flash.

It just dawned on me that this is a TAC subject in the Saga topic.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

By the way - The Modal Nodes went on clearance at a nearby Wal-Mart (not my local one) for 4.00. But not the other 6, unfortunately.

JON9000
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
By the way - The Modal Nodes went on clearance at a nearby Wal-Mart (not my local one) for 4.00. But not the other 6, unfortunately.

The Modal Nodes never even showed up in my area. Val Da Car sent me a set.

DarthQuack
11-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Pics are up of K-mart's tins over at the Yak...

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Sounds like the only thing new is a cloak for Mace and a lightsaber for Oppo. I guess I can pass on these.

TheDarthVader
11-16-2007, 01:21 AM
The only one I need is Oppo. I need him for my 2nd council scene. Not sure if I want to pay the full price for one figure. These sets are pretty boring.

jedibear
11-16-2007, 11:47 PM
These sets are also really expensive...my local Kmart had the ROTS and ROTJ ones,,,at $40 a pop! Ouch!