PDA

View Full Version : Man, I had forgotten...some crummy ep1 sculpts

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I was going through my collection when I cam across my episode 1 figures. This figures are disappointing. I had forgotten how crummy some of these sculpts are in the areas of articulation and face sculpt.

Adi Gallia stupid red lightsaber, cheap cloak, limited art.
Anakin Skywalker (Naboo) limited art, not enough accessories
Anakin Skywalker (Naboo Pilot) limited art.
Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine) limited art. not enough accessories
Battle Droid (Clean) not bad, nice to have sturdy legs
Battle Droid (Dirty) ditto
Battle Droid (Shot) ditto
Battle Droid (Sliced) ditto
Boss Nass can't hold staff very well, crappy cloak, not enough art.
C-3PO not enough art, could've had better sculpt
Captain Panaka not too bad, limited art. though
Captain Tarpals not bad, limited art. though
Chancellor Valorum not bad limited art. though
Darth Maul (Jedi Duel) limted art.
Darth Maul (Sith Lord) limited art.
Darth Maul (Tatooine) limited art. bad cloak
Darth Sidious boring and bad face sculpt, limited art.
Darth Sidious (Holograph) I like this one
Destroyer Droid I like this one
Destroyer Droid (Battle Damaged) I like this one
Gasgano & Pit Droid cheaply made, limited art., parts break easily
Jar-Jar Binks limited art.
Jar-Jar Binks (Naboo Swamp) not too bad
Ki-Adi Mundi stupid purple lightsaber, bad eye paint
Mace Windu (Preview Mail-away) cheap, bad cloak, blue lightsaber
Mace Windu limited art., could've had better sculpt
Naboo Royal Guard not too bad
Naboo Royal Security bad proportions, limited art., bad face sculpt
Nute Gunray limited art.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Duel) bad sculpt, limited art.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight) bad sculpt, limited art.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Naboo) bad sculpt, limited art.
Ody Mandrell with Otoga 222 Pit Droid cheaply made, limited art., parts break easily
OOM-9 not too bad
Padmé Naberrie bad sculpt, limited art.
Pit Droid 2-pack not too bad
Queen Amidala (Battle) I like this one, but the face should've been better
Queen Amidala (Coruscant) boring, limited art.
Queen Amidala (Naboo) bad sculpt, limted art.
Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Duel) bad sculpt, limted art.
Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Master) bad sculpt, limted art.
Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo) bad sculpt, limted art.
R2-D2 not too bad, but panels on side are distracting
R2-B1 I like this one
Ric Olié not too bad, limted art.
Rune Haako not too bad, limited art.
Senator Palpatine boring, bad articulation (where points are) dumb accessory
Sio Bibble I like this one but needed more art.
TC-14 I like this one
Watto not too bad, need more art.
Yoda cheap, no art., bad paint

That is what I think about each episode 1 figure. I got out my box of them and started looking at them, and I realized how cheaply made most of them were. I felt bad because I liked the movie, but these are figures that I'd love to just forget about. Anyway, let me know what you think!

B.
TDV

2-1B
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Captain Tarpals is one of my favorite TPM figures. :)

El Chuxter
05-29-2006, 08:37 PM
You can't really fault these figures for having lightsabers that ultimately turned out to be inaccurate. Hasbro based the lightsaber colors on those mentioned in books, comics, and videogames.

Blue2th
05-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I like the Episode 1 Lightsabers in that they don't have that rough part coming out of the hilt like Ep. 2 and 3 versions and are cleaner looking. Like the POTF2 versions. Even though Ki-Adi-Mundi's blue-purple saber and Adia Gallia's ruby-purple saber are not movie accurate, they are unusual colors not seen on any other Lightsabers that I know of. Kinda cool I think. We also didn't get much artwork with any of these figures as mentioned, but the Commtech chips made up for that. At least the cards were better than the stupid ROTS ones.

Slicker
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Even though Ki-Adi-Mundi's blue-purple saber and Adia Gallia's ruby-purple saber are not movie accurate, they are unusual colors not seen on any other Lightsabers that I know of. Or maybe the movies aren't figure accurate since these figures lightsabers were out before they showed there lightsabers on screen...at least in the case of Ki-Adi that is.

El Chuxter
05-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Or, again, they based the colors on pre-existing stories from other media and, not getting the nix from George, assumed they were okay. Like Ki-Adi, who was seen with a purple saber almost six months prior to the release of TPM.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Funny how it is Ki-Adi and Mace who are involved in the blue/purple lightsaber deal.

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I still wonder how a jedi knight ended up with red. Doesn't Lucas approve these figures? They should have known then that only sith have red. Wasn't that somewhere in the comics or books? Oh well.

B.
TDV

El Chuxter
05-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Only post-AOTC. Up until that point, it was assumed that anyone could have any color saber. They've been kind of mum on whether everyone replaced their sabers, but my theory is that the sabers used exotic crystals which were unavailable during the turmoil leading up to AOTC and, when they were damaged (which seems to happen an awful lot, given the events onscreen), the crystals had to be replaced with more easily available green and blue crystals from Illum.

It's been stated that Sith use synthetic red crystals, but that's the only official explanation given about saber colors since 2002.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 02:26 AM
When I saw this thread's title, the first thing I thought of was Amidala Battle's frankenstein neck bolts. :p The Padme Naberrie figure and first Amidala figures weren't very good likenesses in general, neither were the first of the main Jedi (and that Maul with repainted face was just not right). The first Boss Nass figure isn't quite right and is woefully short. The Battle Droids are all off designs, too thick and funked neck designs. None of the Anakins are right I think. Don't forget the incredibly doofy Naboo Royal Security.

JON9000
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
"Not enough art."

You could say that for every figure prior to Commtech Greedo with his articulated knees. It seems unfair to single out EpI when almost every figure through the end of POTJ had lame articulation. I remember when Cloud city Chewie came out, I thought it was the best figure ever produced at the time because figures were finally getting some real articulation.

TheDarthVader
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
True, but due to good sculpts, excellent line up, and lower price point, I have always thought that the potj line was the best overall line so far, except for maybe the rots line. Besides, I did not get a chance to look through all of my potj figures.
I was going through a big box of all EP1 figures, and I was scrambling to find a decent figure out of those 50 figures. I didn't find very many that I really liked.

B.
TDV

ps Don't get me wrong...I do like the prequels and Ep1. :)

2-1B
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Clowd City Chewie? :confused: I can't recall him...which one was he? Was he POTJ?

Banthaholic
05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Clowd City Chewie? :confused: I can't recall him...which one was he? Was he POTJ?
Saga 02 figure number 38. He's the one with C3-PO on his back.

JON9000
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
True, but due to good sculpts, excellent line up, and lower price point,

I thought POTJ was pretty expensive, wasn't it $6.99? (Although TPM was absolutely ridiculous at $8 intially in places).

trandoshan666
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
I love the EP 1 Watto figure, but most of the line was pretty subpar.

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I was going through a big box of all EP1 figures, and I was scrambling to find a decent figure out of those 50 figures. I didn't find very many that I really liked.Here's some I think are decent:

Jedi Knight Obi-Wan
Sio Bibble
TC-14
Darth Sidious Holographic
regular Darth Sidious (just don't look at his eyes!!!)
R2-D2 (I love the dome design)
Destroyer Droid (how freakin' sad is it that this is still the BEST droideka figure?!?)
Capt Tarpals
Watto
Naked 3PO (I don't dig the movie design, but this is a very good representation)
Graxol Kelvyyn from the Watto's Box cinema scene
Darth Maul from Sith Speeder
Jar Jar from the Kaadu set (this is not a really fantastic sculpt, but the articulation lets him do a lot) The Watto figure is top notch. Naboo Royal Guard is close to making my list, good sculpt, but limiting poses.

Darth Cruel
05-31-2006, 12:39 AM
With any luck...we will get all of the EI characters re-made with updated sculpts.

figrin bran
05-31-2006, 02:12 AM
say what you will about the preview mace, i think that's the best sculpt of him we've had to date.

LusiferSam
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Here's some I think are decent:

Jedi Knight Obi-Wan
Sio Bibble
TC-14
Darth Sidious Holographic
regular Darth Sidious (just don't look at his eyes!!!)
R2-D2 (I love the dome design)
Destroyer Droid (how freakin' sad is it that this is still the BEST droideka figure?!?)
Capt Tarpals
Watto
Naked 3PO (I don't dig the movie design, but this is a very good representation)
Graxol Kelvyyn from the Watto's Box cinema scene
Darth Maul from Sith Speeder
Jar Jar from the Kaadu set (this is not a really fantastic sculpt, but the articulation lets him do a lot) The Watto figure is top notch. Naboo Royal Guard is close to making my list, good sculpt, but limiting poses.
I really thought those figures were pretty good myself. Personally I'd substitute R2 and Jar Jar for one of the Amidala and the Padmé figures thought. I really didn't like the E1 R2 figure and I think all of the Jar Jar are basically the same. For some reason I really the Padmé figure and think it's a good likeness. And the Amidala with ascending gear I thought was pretty good as well.

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
I really thought those figures were pretty good myself. Personally I'd substitute R2 and Jar Jar for one of the Amidala and the Padmé figures thought.I can't think of a single "decent" Padmidala figure from the Ep 1 line, there are POTJ and later ones that are good but in Ep 1?

I really didn't like the E1 R2 figure and I think all of the Jar Jar are basically the same.The Jar Jar's are not the same at all, the swimming one is very different from the original, and the Kaadu one is different from both of them.

For some reason I really the Padmé figure and think it's a good likeness. And the Amidala with ascending gear I thought was pretty good as well.Really? This? http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/e1padmefront.jpg

And this?
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/01cardbackloose.jpg

Neither seem specifically "decent" to me.

LusiferSam
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Really? This? http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/e1padmefront.jpg

And this?
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/01cardbackloose.jpg

Neither seem specifically "decent" to me.
I can't really explain why I think the Padmé is so good. I knows it's not dead on likeness of Natalie Portman, but still thinks it good (there's no accounting for taste is there). And as for the Amidala figure again I can't explain it. But I will say I think my Amidala with ascending gear looks better than the RS photo. My spray ops for the face are better.

El Chuxter
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Compare Padme to the first POTF2 Leia. Yeah, she's a great figure.

BTW, mine looks nice. She's not a perfect figure, but I have no idea where RS found such a lousy looking figure.

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I've seen better sculpts on Kenner figures from 23 years ago. :p

It's not like they had a choice, that friggin' figure was HARD to get. I'd gauge mine against it, but it's so deep back on my Ultarama display that I can't reach it anymore.

El Chuxter
06-01-2006, 12:48 AM
I was referring to Padme, not Acension Gun Amidala, which I've never seen in person, aside from in other people's collections.

TheDarthVader
06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I agree JT. The Padme Nabierre and the battle Padme weren't very good. I will say that the battle Padme had a good body sculpt so the PN figure was the worst one out of all the padmes.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Which figure are you talking about, the Amidala Naboo or the Amidala Ascension Gun? The ascension gun version can almost hold her gun in 2 hands which is good, but both have limited detailing so I never think of them. I think the detailing on Padme Naberrie is actually superior to the others we're talking about.

It's safe to say though that Hasbro's not produced a truly decent version of either figure. :D