PDA

View Full Version : how long til the Deal or No Deal fad ends ?

2-1B
05-29-2006, 07:44 PM
It reminds me of Who Wants to be a Millionaire in the sense that this crap can't last TOO long, can it ? lol Of course, maybe down the road they will replace Howie Mandel with Meredith Veira and keep it plugging but I'm talking about its overhyped popularity in this thread.

It's so gimmicky and when I do see it, I root against the contestants and delight in their misfortune. :grin: That whole thing with the banker is ridiculous, just stupid. He's up there in that darkened booth so you can't see anything except for his silhouette and they put on a big production about his decisions as far as what the offer will be...but once the Deal has been made, there is no more suspense to it, I mean Howie just starts belting out what the offers "would have been" (which is fine because it's all statistically based anyway - but why the drama before a Deal has been made? :confused: lol lol lol ).

Then there are the models who work with the numbered cases. They are great. :rolleyes: They try all this suspenseful stuff of opening the case slowly so they know if it is high or low, then they ham it up with silent screams for low amounts or they'll put on a pouty puss when it's a high amount. The worst part about it is when contestants beg or plead with the models to be nice to them and open a small amount. Huh? :confused: I didn't realize the ladies wielded so much power. lol It reminds me of the times I've played Blackjack over the years and other people around me talked to the dealer as if they had any control over what card came out of the shoe next. :rolleyes:

Maybe the worst part about this show is the music since it overdoes all of the things I've mentioned about. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
It's not like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. That show required a bit, albeit not a whole lot, of brains to play.

I think when this ends, an animated Bobby ought to come out and b-slap Howie.

Slicker
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
I haven't even heard much about this show. I think I've watched it a grand total of 2 times. It's not even that exciting to watch even though they try to force feed the tension down your throat.

At least the models look half way decent (although I'm sure JT would say different though) so that kinda makes up for the show sucking.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 09:33 PM
It's not like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. That show required a bit, albeit not a whole lot, of brains to play.

I meant it in the sense of hype and gimmick induced popularity without the prospect of a long shelf life. The Weakest Link also comes to mind. "Is That Your Final Answer?" "Deal or No Deal?" and "You Are The Weakest Link, BuhBye" are all interchangeable in this regard. :D

Forget about Bobby's World, I want Fred Savage (HM's costar in Little Monsters) to slap him. :crazed:

UKWildcat
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I didn't mind Deal or No Deal at first but now it is just ridiculous. They spend more time talking to the contestant, the contestants family, friends, kids, uncles, grandpas cousins sisters nephews, the audience, the banker, the case girls than they do playing the stupid game. It shouldn't take 45 minutes for a person to pick 20 some cases. They should easily be able to get through 2 people on one show, if not more, but they can't even get through one. It is absurd and I no longer watch it. If the show happens to be on I too, like Caesar, find myself rooting against the contestant. :twisted:

2-1B
05-29-2006, 11:07 PM
:D

One other thing I forgot to add was Howie doing the "right after this" tease where they go to commercial before opening a case or announcing an offer. And then the contestant and audience all groan as if the show is pulling that stunt for the first time. lol

Banthaholic
05-29-2006, 11:10 PM
I also root against the contestants. I've seen the show 5-10 times and while it's entertaining I don't particularly enjoy. I'ts usually background noise while I do other things. I loved Millionaire, and it took actual knowledge on that game. The problem on all of these games is people get caught up in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If they would set a realistic goal and go for that and if the odds are in their favor keep playing otherwise stop at your set goal. Instead they think the ultiamte vistory is the $2 million, when it might just as well be a huge victory walking away with $48K.

I love it when people ask advice on which briefcase to open. Like they have x-ray vision. It's a pure crap shoot.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 01:42 AM
1) It's the "open the box!" show, I could see this being popular for 30 minutes a week but an hour a day 4 days a week?!? They're just opening cases!!! It's so boring! And who cares about their sister's cousin's uncle and his shoddy advice? How this show continues to pass for entertainment, I'll never know. I guess audiences get all wrapped up with what deal THEY'D take and get excited, but there's really not much going on. Plus, the "at-home" game isn't tied into the actual show at all!

2) I am pretty sure the banker is totally fake, it's a computer probability program, I caught a second tonight while flipping channels just after the guy had taken the deal, Howie made him open the last few boxes anyway and instantly a price comes up on the big screen of how much the deal would have been for, some ridiculously specific amount no less.

3) The models are "eh, ok I guess"-looking, average-to-trashy C-grade models in unimaginative outfits. At least give the tv pervs at home something better to look at. :p

JimJamBonds
05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I saw the show for the first time last night and boy oh boy is it dumb! Do I open the box or take the money??? I wish I could get those 10 min. back. :cry:

2-1B
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
2) I am pretty sure the banker is totally fake, it's a computer probability program, I caught a second tonight while flipping channels just after the guy had taken the deal, Howie made him open the last few boxes anyway and instantly a price comes up on the big screen of how much the deal would have been for, some ridiculously specific amount no less.

That's the point I was trying to make but JT did so much more clearly. :)

DURING the show the banker is this big character, a nemesis to the contestants who are "fighting" against him or whatever, and they build up all this drama of the banker's offer. Then, like you said, once the deal is made they start rattling off numbers of what the offers would have been...it's really goofy. lol

TheDarthVader
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree on two points: the banker is fake, and I (big surprise) root against the contestants just like so many here. I love it when they don't take a big deal and then pick a big amount case.

B.
TDV

JEDIpartner
05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Is this still on? I thought it ended a month ago...

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 09:55 PM
That's the point I was trying to make but JT did so much more clearly. :)

DURING the show the banker is this big character, a nemesis to the contestants who are "fighting" against him or whatever, and they build up all this drama of the banker's offer. Then, like you said, once the deal is made they start rattling off numbers of what the offers would have been...it's really goofy. lol
And it's a fairly easy probability equation no less, you wouldn't need a banker to run it, just some goober to push a button when called for, mindless really. I'm surprised TV Guide or Entertainment Weekly hasn't dedicated half an issue to interviewing the mysterious banker. :p

Apparently NBC realizes that after finishing in 4th place in the networks for the first time ever, they're pretty well screwed next season so they're putting this turkey on in the formerly-coveted Thursday 9pm slot (as well as 3 or 4 others during the week, I beleive).

James Boba Fettfield
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I thought they were just keeping it to two nights: Monday at 8 and Thursday at 9.

As for Thursdays at 9, better they have Deal or No Deal there then some of their other shows. CSI and Grey's Anatomy will have lots of fun fighting for ratings in that timeslot.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
That's their thinking, they're not even going to try beating CSI anymore.

stillakid
05-31-2006, 12:27 AM
how long til the Deal or No Deal fad ends ?

Um, as soon as you stop watching it?

What I mean is, I didn't realize that there was a "fad" because I have never laid eyes on the show. You have control over what is a fad in your life or not. :)

mabudonicus
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
funny this should come up, and I like your first post on it Cae, this show is pretty damn pathetic- it's like one of them things you'd see at a highschool assembly, where the HORRIBLE "actors" who ham the crap out of everything get a chance to "dazzle"

My biggest gripe with the show is the pacing- there should be 10 contestants per show, one per segment or however it breaks down, making an entire hour out of one loser and all the aforementioned hamming and them girls doing their stupid faces is just infuriating- and the fact that they can stretch maybe 20 minutes of actual content into 4 hours a week is just plain spooky considering the mad popularity this idiotic program seems to have garnered....

And NO I don't "watch" the show but I've seen it.... the funniest thing about it is that I thought after Boston Pizza Mandel couldn't have sunk any lower, and somehow I was wrong :beard:

2-1B
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM

What I mean is, I didn't realize that there was a "fad" because I have never laid eyes on the show. You have control over what is a fad in your life or not. :)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

As I stated already, the show has a catch phrase on par with other catch phrases from other shows that I cited. The same types of shows I've seen lampooned on TV as well as from overhearing people talk about it in public. The same types of shows that got massive play on TV and then fizzled out.
I heard so much about this show before I even stumbled across it on the tube, so yeah, um, what was the point of your post again? :confused:

Whatever, guy. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
05-31-2006, 02:01 PM
It's still on and it's running on more than one night a week???!!!!! :eek:

Jargo
05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
we got it over here too exept it's worse. the box openers are general public I think. unattractive anyway. and we have a nobody hosting and a banker on the end of a phone. it's about as suspenseful as watching toenails grow and just sickening that money giveaway shows like this air when so many deserving people go without food or a roof over their head. the sort of money they play with on these shows would be better spent on sheltered accomodation or healthcare for the impoverished. Anything but lining greedy fat *%$*&!!?@!!!! nobody's pockets.

This makes me think back to that show MAX HEADROOM and the picture of the future it painted. blipverts and mindless shows like this pice of carp. I mean this show is so bad you only need to see part of one show to understand how lethally awful it actually is.

tv isn't an opiate anymore it's a quaalude. brief glimpses of samity and lucid thinking but mostly a muggy fuzzy haze of cruddiness.

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 06:15 PM
we got it over here too exept it's worse. the box openers are general public I think.The UK is where the show started, and from what I've read, the box openers there are the next contestants which makes them a little more interesting, supposedly you get to know them before the stupid banter when they're the main guy, plus it gives it an "they're gonna get my money" feel.

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
But this show is all NBC has ... and the weekly child predator stings on Dateline.

Hey, what do you know! Both of them are on tonight, too.

Jargo
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
on behalf of all sane british people I apologise to you for inflicting deal or no deal upon your weekly schedule.this is an act of unmittigated terrorism on the part of the show copyright owners. a small group of bandits not connected with the majority of brittons. there can be no greater horror than knowing brain cells die whilst watching this heinous crime called 'light entertainment'........

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Weekly? Try near-daily.

2-1B
06-01-2006, 03:24 AM
No worries Jargo, you needn't apologize from the UK because this show hasn't smeared stillakid's TV screen yet - so it obviously doesn't exist over here on any important level. Pay it no mind. lol lol lol

:lipsrsealed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-01-2006, 06:34 PM
And who cares about their sister's cousin's uncle and his shoddy advice?
You mean, the contestant's father? :lol:

I once saw a part of this show, it's just dumb as nuts. At least it keeps the stupid rednecks of this country busy for a little bit so they aren't outside doing anything stupid.

JediTricks
06-02-2006, 09:41 PM
You mean, the contestant's father? :lol:Not in their family ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2006, 10:32 PM

What I mean is, I didn't realize that there was a "fad" because I have never laid eyes on the show. You have control over what is a fad in your life or not. :)Hey, we agree on something, sort of. I did realize that it was a bit of a fad, but never bothered to watch it because I have no interest in it.

I just watched an episode of Doctor Who last night where they were in a future in which there are tons of these types of shows on. The Doctor ended up in one of many Big Brother houses, and Rose ended up on The Weakest Link. In this case, the host was a robot. Losers on the shows get disintegrated.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
According to Yahoo's TV listings, tonight is the season finale of DOND and they're raising the stakes to $5mil, so naturally everybody who plays is bound to have the $5mil box as their choice, right? :p

2-1B
06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Well, I only saw the last few minutes tonight so I can't comment on the total $$$ thing but the "winner" I saw also "won" a concert from Celine Dion. lol

Seriously, in defense of my fad argument ;) , they have been having these celebrities pop in with advice or offers for the contestants...Celine Dion, Jay Leno, and Ben Roethlisberger are the first ones I can recall. It's ridiculous. :crazed:

Darth Instigator
06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
omg this show is losing flair quickly. It is getting to be too much like the millionaire show where they cant just pick a case but they have to give a full blown explanation as to why. One contestant takes the full hour now, and the show with celine dion, OMFG, please. That was dumb.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't get that explanation thing, "it's my favorite number Howie", big freakin' deal, it's a random box, pick it and open a bunch of others so we can move on!!!

El Chuxter
06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Have you ever auditioned for a game show? Many look for people to give idiotic explanations. They'll even tell you to do so. The producers seem to think it makes for better TV.

JimJamBonds
06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Have you ever auditioned for a game show? Many look for people to give idiotic explanations. They'll even tell you to do so. The producers seem to think it makes for better TV.

I agree. I think this is supposed to bring some 'drama' to the show. If some guy/gal is up there and just starts rattling off numbers it wouldn't be so interesting.*

* I guess since I don't watch the damn show. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Crave for the classic game shows? Try CBS on Wednesday (and I believe Thursday, although I am not home that night so I can't confirm) as they have Ricki Lake hosting an hour long show where they bring back classic games from the decades.

So far, I've seen the Price is Right Show, and the Beat the Clock show. During their advertisements, they have featured such game as "Press Your Luck" and "Card Sharks." 8:00 p.m. is when it starts, and for someone who thought that these shows had no chance of ever coming back, this is sorta the next best thing.

The only problem I can forsee are the C-List celebs who they have as the contestants. Tim Meadows and a few other nameless celebs are the best they can get (although I did see Leslie Nielsen on one of the shows). :yes:

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Ricki Lake is a horrible gameshow host, the only one so far she's done anything not-crappy with was Press Your Luck.

Tim Meadows looks bored as hell or annoyed every time they go to him.

El Chuxter
06-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Tim Meadows: the unfunniest alum of SNL. Which is saying quite a bit in this modern era of Jimmy Fallon.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Ricki Lake is a horrible gameshow host, the only one so far she's done anything not-crappy with was Press Your Luck.

Tim Meadows looks bored as hell or annoyed every time they go to him.I recall an SNL sketch where he was in a game show where high school students were paired with old French prostitutes. Tim complained that his prostitute smelled like whiskey and feet.

Edit - I had a link to the transcript but the URL won't work due to the autocensor.

2-1B
06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
That's outta hand Chux, I liked Tim Meadows. :(
Not the funniest alum, for sure, but definitely not the worst either. :(

He's way cooler than Kit Fisto, though. :)

Ah yes MSP, Old French *****. Classic. lol

And how about the Mr. Belvedere Fan Club sketch? We even have a past forum member who registered here as Broctoon! :grin:

JimJamBonds
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Tim Meadows: the unfunniest alum of SNL. Which is saying quite a bit in this modern era of Jimmy Fallon.

Have you forgotten about Joe Piscopo?

JediTricks
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Everybody in the last few casts has been as unfunny, or moreso, than Tim Meadows. Granted, Tim Meadows was one of the SNLers that ended up in the cast before last, so he sucks AS BAD as them. :p It's appalling how unfunny the show is now, and surprising how many apologists there are for it.

El Chuxter
06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
The single worst season of SNL was in the early 90s, when Janeane Garofalo and Chris Elliot were among the cast. After the season didn't meet with expectations, they canned most of the cast. And yet they had some of the funniest people on earth in that cast. They should've canned the writers.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Have you forgotten about Joe Piscopo?He was good for his Sinatra impression though, and he was one of the Whiners.

Everybody in the last few casts has been as unfunny, or moreso, than Tim Meadows. Granted, Tim Meadows was one of the SNLers that ended up in the cast before last, so he sucks AS BAD as them. It's appalling how unfunny the show is now, and surprising how many apologists there are for it.I think a lot of the cast members in recent years have been pretty good, but I do think many of the sketches have been rather disappointing. They are usually at their best when they are doing the political stuff like Bush, Clinton or Hardball, or when doing recurring characters that the audience is familiar with. Weekend Update is usually pretty good as well.

CaptainSolo1138
06-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Contrary to JT I think the current cast is one of the best, rivaling the early/mid-90s casts. And like MSP said, I love the current "Weekend Update".

Mad Slanted Powers
06-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Contrary to JT I think the current cast is one of the best, rivaling the early/mid-90s casts. And like MSP said, I love the current "Weekend Update".
And don't forget the cartoons by Robert Smigel. Also, some of those SNL Digital shorts are good, like Natalie Portman's rap and the Lazy Sunday Chronicles of Narnia Rap.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2006, 12:08 AM
The show has its moments, some really great and some really bad. Will Farrell and Conan O'Brian's episodes were quite bad, Nat Po's and Scar Jo's were quite good. On the whole I think the show was/is better now then it was a few years ago but I still think its not even close to what it was in the early 1990's.

2-1B
06-14-2006, 12:17 AM
-

Lettuce.

-

JimJamBonds
06-14-2006, 12:20 AM
-

Lettuce.

-

CRUNCH!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2006, 12:35 AM
The show has its moments, some really great and some really bad. Will Farrell and Conan O'Brian's episodes were quite bad, Nat Po's and Scar Jo's were quite good. On the whole I think the show was/is better now then it was a few years ago but I still think its not even close to what it was in the early 1990's.While I agree that the show is not as good as then, I can recall watching shows back then and there would be episodes that were disappointing. Usually, they would be ones with no recurring characters, as well as having a musical guest I wasn't interested in.

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 05:52 PM
The show has its moments, some really great and some really bad. Will Farrell and Conan O'Brian's episodes were quite bad, Nat Po's and Scar Jo's were quite good. On the whole I think the show was/is better now then it was a few years ago but I still think its not even close to what it was in the early 1990's.Scarlett Johansson's episode was awful, way too much focus on her singing, all monotone and cue-card-reading, every sketch was unfunny and plain.

I don't know why anybody gives mad props (yes, old turn of phrase, I know) to the halfway-decent cartoons and digital shorts, this is Saturday Night LIVE, not Saturday Night PRETAPED AND EDITED. SNL was amazing in the '70s and late '80s because it was like they took $100k and turned it into $20mil, when a cartoon or digital short does well it's like taking $19mil and turning into $19.5mil, not as impressive. This is also why people don't think **** of MadTV, because they suck as bad as SNL most of the time but they have the luxury of tons of lead time, and the power of editing, yet they suck as bad as a show that's got neither.

SNL in the late '80s and very early '90s had a lot of stinker sketches, but they were peppered around other funny material, and they were trying new stuff that was funny to more than just 1 writer, always trying something new; by comparison, the show now is a lot of plain, uncreative sketches surrounded by half-baked gags that run too long and are based on 1 guy's giggle-fest in the back room even when it's not funny to a single other person.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't know why anybody gives mad props (yes, old turn of phrase, I know) to the halfway-decent cartoons and digital shorts, this is Saturday Night LIVE, not Saturday Night PRETAPED AND EDITED.I heard or read some complaint about all the pretaped stuff they do now, but this is nothing new to SNL. Back in the day (another old phrase), they had Mr. Bill, Schiller's Reel, and of course the commercial parodies have always been taped (though I believe there were some old ones that I believe were done live, like Mel's Char Palace and Bass-o-Matic).

Not all the cartoons are great, but I get a kick out of most of them. The Fun With Real Audio ones are often pretty good. They also do a good job of spoofing the cartoons many of us grew up with back in the 70's. And then there is that insufferable duo, ACE and GARY. They shall not stop me this time! :twisted:

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Yes, that's true that they had pretaped since the beginning, but less of it and less reliance on it, and that stuff usually was WAY better written, polished in editing, or was far more artistic or edgy.