PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Titanium Wave 1 PACKAGE VARIATIONS! (Wave 8 + AT-RT and Rep. Gunship)

Warstar
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Well, instead of replying to a thread, I thought I would make a new one here.

I came across not only a Wave 1 (Wave 8 re-release) Millennium Falcon with a UPC sticker on the bottom, but a TIE Fighter as well. The interesting thing about these 2 ships is that they have NO insert on the bottom whatsoever- i.e. no printed UPC symbol at ALL anywhere on the package- hence the need for the UPC sticker. It stands to reason that the Slave 1 and the X-Wing have this variation, too, since now it's confirmed on the TIE Fighter as well as the Falcon.

These still have to be new releases- not old OLD Wave 1's with Die-Cast stickers added or new Choking Warning stickers, simply because on the back of ALL of the Wave 8 re-release ships (Wal-Mart Wave 1 as well as the AT-RT and the Red Rep Gunship) their Date Stamp is on the upper-right back of the card near the hanger, and it begins with the letter "C." My confirmed 2004 Wave 1's and 2005 Wave 2's do not have this re-release Date Stamp style, rather it is imprinted in the Black of the package area near the bottom left of the cards.

(For the record, I also came a cross a LOT of Wave 1 ships with the printed UPC symbol on the bottom that had the slanted "C" Date Stamp. In fact, ALL of the Titaniums on the pegs from Wave 8 had the slanted "C" Date Stamp!)

Also, my British Wave 1 X-Wing has the slanted "C" date stamp near the hanger, too, so it's concieveble that these OLD Wal-Mart Wave 1 ships being re-released were made for the UK market and then just ported back over here with the UK UPC stickers removed.

SO, for all you completists out there, here's the definitive package variation list for the Wal-Mart Wave 1 & 2 (Re-Release Mass Retail Wave 8) Star Wars Titanium Ships!

X-Wing Fighter

1. 2004 Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Black area on lower left of card. No "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

2. 2005 UK RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert covered with UK UPC sticker.

3. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

4. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. UPC Sticker on bottom of package; NO printed UPC on package insert on bottom.

Millennium Falcon

1. 2004 Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Black area on lower left of card. No "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." White Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

2. 2005 UK RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert covered with UK UPC sticker.

3. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

4. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. UPC Sticker on bottom of package; NO printed UPC on package insert on bottom.

TIE Fighter

1. 2004 Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Black area on lower left of card. No "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Black Choking Warning Sticker. Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

Slave 1

AT-RT

1. 2005 Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Black area on lower left of card. No "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

2. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

3. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." UPC Sticker on bottom of package; NO printed UPC on package insert on bottom.

Republic Gunship (Red Markings)

1. 2005 Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Black area on lower left of card. No "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

2. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." Printed UPC on bottom of card on package insert.

3. 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 RELEASE Wave 1 Package version: Date Stamp in Gray area on upper right of card that begins with "C". "Die-Cast" sticker on front under "Star Wars." UPC Sticker on bottom of package; NO printed UPC on package insert on bottom.

(Personally? I put the UPC Sticker TIE Fighter and Falcon Variants on Layaway, since the removal of the UPC on the printed insert- hec- the whole BOTTOM of the insert is now gone altogether SCREAMS variation. Now I have to find a Slave 1 and an X-Wing with this variation and there's yet another set of variants...buying these things on Ebay just got SO much harder, because if you're looking for a particular variant it's going to be tough since 99% of the sellers probably WON'T know what you're talking about :(

Good luck all :p

EDIT: Thanks Darth Michael for confirming at least 1 more variant and proposing a possible 2nd which I confirmed tonight (1 each for the AT-RT and Republic Gunship with no UPC insert!)

EDIT X2: I think I am just going to go with the packaged AT-RT variant for the no UPC insert variation- I mean it has the matte black/gloss black antenna paint variation as well, and it seems to be the rarer of the UPC sticker variants, so nevermind on the Slave 1 and X-Wing that I asked for earlier :p I think I'll cancel my Falcon and TIE Fighter layaway, too.

Darth Michael
05-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Certainly a variation: My two 2006 Mass Retail Wave 8 Gunships have UPC stickers and no printed insert. Otherwise they match your description.

Maybe a variation: Neither of my 2005 WalMart Wave 1 Gunships have a Choking Warning sticker. (I didn't peel any stickers off.) Otherwise matches your description.

All of my other "retro" 2006 pieces have the UPC on the insert.

To be honest, I can't recall ever seeing a Choking Warning sticker, but I'm too lazy to go check 'em all at the moment.

And from the "looking way too closely" department... I may have spotted a slight paint variation between my old and new AT-RTs. Look at the black antenna thing rising up behind the pilot. On the original release version, the black paint on the antenna looks the same as all of the other black spots on the walker such as the handle bars, the seat, and the box below the seat. It's a "flat" black. But on the newly mass released version, it is a "gloss" black, and it is clearly distinct from the other black bits. I only have one "old" AT-RT. I have two "new" AT-RTs.

Warstar
05-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Oooo! Duely (SP) noted! That Rep Gunship DEFINITELY is a variant, if it has no bottom insert for the UPC! w00t! I added it to the AT-RT, too (stands to reason that it must exist if the Rep Gunship has the same thing)!

Thanks for the choking hazard sticker corrections, too (darn cut and paste that I did but anyway ;)). I don't recall the old Wal-Mart Wave 2 ships having them at all, either...

Interesting on the antenna variant. I'll have to check out the local AT-RT's on the pegs and compare but I am willing to bet it IS a variation :)

Glad you got Wave 1, btw :) (And hope you got my check :p)

LTBasker
05-30-2006, 10:30 PM
When wave 1 was shipping with the white stickers to Wal-Mart they also shipped with black stickers, these are more common to find if you find ANY WM versions of wave 1 on ebay.

Warstar
05-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I actually haven't seen another White Warning Sticker 2004 Falcon other than the one I got initially. Weird. The black stickers both new and old are a dime a dozen on Ebay. I'm surprised to hear they shipped with Black back in 2004 though- the only black sticker versions I see are slant "C" barcodes (new Wave 8 stuff).

Oh yeah- as if on cue tonight, I just went to Target here and I ended up snagging 2 AT-RT's BOTH with UPC stickers and no printed UPC inserts (thus confirming the variation I speculated on in the list above). They have the old 2005 Titanium Checklist in them, too, oddly enough. I opened one of the new ones because you were right on, Darth Michael, as the antenna paint on the new AT-RT release is gloss black while the original 2005 ones feature matte black antennas (at least my opened and closed 2005 ones are both Matte Black) :)

Anyone have a spare Yellow JSF from 2005 with the original matte black guns? The only one I have opened is the 5-pack version with the brown guns. I want one with black guns to open :p

Anyone? :)

vulcantouch
05-31-2006, 12:57 PM
yeah, we (b'jr &/or i) got one; remind me sometime in huntthred :)